Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Regency Bar

• Start Topic

Smudge just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, or a wonderful holiday season. She is very pc. Although she isn't all that happy wearing her hat.

Thanks to all of you who make my day brighter with your snark and love. 

42A2E0C8-BF05-45B8-A00B-488A9C393B58-2_1.JPG

Edited by Reality police
  • Love 10
On 12/22/2018 at 11:30 AM, Reality police said:

Smudge just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, or a wonderful holiday season. She is very pc. Although she isn't all that happy wearing her hat.

Thanks to all of you who make my day brighter with your snark and love. 

42A2E0C8-BF05-45B8-A00B-488A9C393B58-2_1.JPG

Too cute.

• Love 4

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/after-teen-cashier-helps-woman-pay-grocery-bill-community-raises-dollar30000-for-him/ar-BBRrkpw?li=BBnbfcL

I hadn’t seen this before this morning.  Way to go, young man.  My best to you and yours  

I’ve always believed that you help the next guy. Better to help and be taken than pass by someone truly in need.   Have to say with each year I get more cynical.  Yet ... the sap in me still wants to believe.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Ellee said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/after-teen-cashier-helps-woman-pay-grocery-bill-community-raises-dollar30000-for-him/ar-BBRrkpw?li=BBnbfcL

I hadn’t seen this before this morning.  Way to go, young man.  My best to you and yours  

I’ve always believed that you help the next guy. Better to help and be taken than pass by someone truly in need.   Have to say with each year I get more cynical.  Yet ... the sap in me still wants to believe.

Thank you for posting this. You helped me with my cynicism this morning.

My parents had a business downtown and people would come in asking for money to eat. My mother would not hand them cash but would send them across the street to a restaurant and pay for a meal. She would call the owner and tell them to give them whatever they wanted and she would pay. 

• Love 7

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/the-video-of-my-dad-appeared-unexpectedly-from-a-kind-stranger-it-gave-me-chills/ar-BBRHYTh?li=BBnb7Kz

Here is hoping 'Jeff' or 'Jeff's family' are RWs posters.   He gets the first Way To Go Award from me this year!!!

Man, oh, man, I have trouble sleeping too but  I would never of thought of doing something like this.  Well, I'm not sure I could actually do this but this article does have me thinking .... what can I do that would make someone happy or smile when I can't sleep.

(Hiya, everyone.  :D )

• Love 5

Lol .... so purrfect!   After posting, I got real busy ... productive busy so I didn’t get to come back.  Had a big smile and a giggle when I saw these though  Just what I needed.  😁

• Love 5

Before I start my day .... 

When I was in my 30’s I used to think that when I retired I would volunteer to ‘permanently’ be a juror.  Put aside the fact that that was probably not an option and the fact that the ‘sap’ in me still comes out too much for that type of duty.  :D

I recently read about this woman (can’t find the article) that spends her time at a hospital.  In the NICU.  She holds babies, gives them some old fashioned love and comfort and I’m sure provides parents with a peace that a self-appointed grandma is with their child. Allows them to sleep a little better knowing she’s there. Props to this woman. Such a good idea.  I would love love love to do something like that.  

It also makes me think ‘What else am I not thinking about that I could do, should do’.   Ideas?

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Ellee said:

t also makes me think ‘What else am I not thinking about that I could do, should do’.   Ideas?

Yes!!! Please consider visiting/volunteering at retirement/nursing homes—-I used to work in them as an assistant throughout my college/post-grad years, and it was heartbreaking to see how many lonely older folks were left alone with no one to talk to or spend time with regularly. Sometimes I’d just go in and chat with them, or just spend some time with them by offering to dust or vacuum for them. You can also team up with the local animal shelter to offer therapy animal visits.

Another option is your local Meals on Wheels program; it similarly gives you the chance to deliver meals and spend some time with lonely seniors or folks who can’t assist themselves very well. When my grandmother was at her weakest point and because everyone in my family was working at that time, we opted for her to receive these meal deliveries throughout the week—-she’d look SO forward to those visits and it gave us so much peace and gratitude to know that she was having people regularly interact with her and provide her a nutritious meal when we were unable to check in on her(this was before she had to move into a retirement home permanently).

Senior citizens are often the most overlooked and forgotten group of individuals in need out there, which is why I always encourage folks to volunteer to assist them. Believe me, the joy you get from bringing some bit of joy to a lonely older person’s often boring existence is so priceless—-this country definitely needs to work on treating its elderly citizens/retired veterans much better and with far more respect and compassion.

• Love 12

Starting late .... I did wine, wine, wine last night. :D

Aside from not being able to count change unless the cash register says the amount ... future generations will not be able to do one more thing ...

https://www.businessinsider.com/nike-new-self-lacing-sneaker-adapt-bb-2019-1

One has to wonder what’s next.  Have a great day all!

ETA:  Lol ... appears I may be killing the thread with my topics. Feel free to tell me to shut up ... it won’t be the first nor the last. 😂😁😁😁

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Ellee said:

Cute!  I'm not altogether sure that the cat was "helping", but it's cute whatever it is, lol.

8 hours ago, Ellee said:

Aside from not being able to count change unless the cash register says the amount ... future generations will not be able to do one more thing ...

ETA:  Lol ... appears I may be killing the thread with my topics. Feel free to tell me to shut up ... it won’t be the first nor the last. 😂😁😁😁

Don't assume anything, due to a lack of "likes" or comments.  Sometimes folks just like to read without comment.  Speaking for myself anyway.  Always appreciate the contributions.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Ellee said:

Never! Keep the comments coming!

• Love 4
On 1/13/2019 at 4:30 PM, Sun-Bun said:

Yes!!! Please consider visiting/volunteering at retirement/nursing homes—-I used to work in them as an assistant throughout my college/post-grad years, and it was heartbreaking to see how many lonely older folks were left alone with no one to talk to or spend time with regularly. Sometimes I’d just go in and chat with them, or just spend some time with them by offering to dust or vacuum for them. You can also team up with the local animal shelter to offer therapy animal visits.

Another option is your local Meals on Wheels program; it similarly gives you the chance to deliver meals and spend some time with lonely seniors or folks who can’t assist themselves very well. When my grandmother was at her weakest point and because everyone in my family was working at that time, we opted for her to receive these meal deliveries throughout the week—-she’d look SO forward to those visits and it gave us so much peace and gratitude to know that she was having people regularly interact with her and provide her a nutritious meal when we were unable to check in on her(this was before she had to move into a retirement home permanently).

Senior citizens are often the most overlooked and forgotten group of individuals in need out there, which is why I always encourage folks to volunteer to assist them. Believe me, the joy you get from bringing some bit of joy to a lonely older person’s often boring existence is so priceless—-this country definitely needs to work on treating its elderly citizens/retired veterans much better and with far more respect and compassion.

YES !!!   My Son, a UPS driver delivers flowers, candy, do/dads to these retirement/nursing homes often.  Instead of these patients families visiting these folks, they send  unnessary things.  They actually grab my kids hand to talk baseball, sports, anything for a little interaction.  He tries, but he’s on the clock.  Pathetic.  He said “Ma, you’ll never be in a place like that”.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

YES !!!   My Son, a UPS driver delivers flowers, candy, do/dads to these retirement/nursing homes often.  Instead of these patients families visiting these folks, they send  unnessary things.  They actually grab my kids hand to talk baseball, sports, anything for a little interaction.  He tries, but he’s on the clock.  Pathetic.  He said “Ma, you’ll never be in a place like that”.

The last line brings up so many feelings for me.  I too swore that my father would never go to a nursing home and he didn’t.  He was unable to talk, walk but despite what I was told about him not having his mind I knew that that was untrue.  

I wrestle with whether or not I did the right thing. The activity around him might have helped him have a better life.  I don’t know. Physically he was well taken care of. My brother (my hero) came every day to talk, give him a shave, eat with him and brought a sense of humor that sometimes went by the wayside.  He brought normalcy and life into the house for us. 

As a believer, on my judgement day, that’ll be the first words out of my mouth.  Did I do right by him?

I’ll have to check into visiting retirement homes. I imagine I couldn’t just walk in and say hi I’m here to visit with anybody, everybody. 

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 6

I will never promise another, and I will never ask to be kept out of a nursing home.  I am far too familiar with the realities of life to saddle someone with that guilt.  For many if not most, caring for another human being who perhaps isn't ambulatory, or has cognitive disabilities, is just not an option.

My advice would be to stay as healthy as you can, and plan as well as you can financially, but bear in mind that the realities are what they are.  

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I will never promise another, and I will never ask to be kept out of a nursing home.  I am far too familiar with the realities of life to saddle someone with that guilt.  For many if not most, caring for another human being who perhaps isn't ambulatory, or has cognitive disabilities, is just not an option.

My advice would be to stay as healthy as you can, and plan as well as you can financially, but bear in mind that the realities are what they are.  

In my situation, I wouldn’t have been able to live with myself.   I’m awkward trying to say things but I didn’t think my father would survive. I’d have to stay with him at night, every night. My philosophy was basically that he didn’t ‘throw’ me out of his house when I was difficult. I’m not taking him out of his now that his life changed. 

Every situation is different but your loved ones will be the ones making the decision.  It will be what they feel is best for you  

I’m going to sound crazy here but when my aunt had health issues during that same time I tried to get her to come live with us.  She chose the retirement home.  I would have been able to do it. Take care of her, be with her, but the location of the home made it impossible for me.  I failed her. 

Ok, enough sad songs from me today.  

Think it’s time to go look for a positive upbeat story for us to read.  

ETA:  Not seeing one now ... humph ... back later hopefully with one that will bring some smiles and giggles. 

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Ellee said:

Anyone that has a special in with the snow gods .... please ask them to give us a break.  I’m begging. Please. 

Yeah, but I'm more concerned with the frigid temps coming our way this week.  Actual temps in the negative numbers with staggering wind chills due for us.  Snow I can deal with for the most part.  

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yeah, but I'm more concerned with the frigid temps coming our way this week.  Actual temps in the negative numbers with staggering wind chills due for us.  Snow I can deal with for the most part.  

Oh I agree with you.  Snow is coming down sideways right now. Roads are freezing up.  It definitely is worse than the snow. 

My frustration this morning was that the snow plows cleaned the roads but blocked my driveway.  5 am this morning I’m outside waving cash in the air to get one of them to stop to clear it just enough for me to get out.  This young man did stop and help me.  

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Ellee said:

Oh I agree with you.  Snow is coming down sideways right now. Roads are freezing up.  It definitely is worse than the snow. 

My frustration this morning was that the snow plows cleaned the roads but blocked my driveway.  5 am this morning I’m outside waving cash in the air to get one of them to stop to clear it just enough for me to get out.  This young man did stop and help me.  

Aw, sorry about that.  Yeah, I always have to clear the driveway at least twice, the 2nd time to grind up the bulk that the city plows leave.   It was a hot mess traveling around town today.  I'm in the Great Lakes area, you?

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:55 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I will never promise another, and I will never ask to be kept out of a nursing home.

I totally agree with you on this.  My mother is unfortunately in a nursing home.  We tried very hard to care for her at home and things got so bad that she had to go in.  She has done very well with the extra activity and professional caregivers.  I think it was a good decision.  Of course, her husband visits daily and I go every couple of days, so she gets lots of visits.  We always try to give attention to the other residents while we visit her.  I think it's selfish to ask your child not to put you in a nursing home.  You never know what the situation could be and I personally want my kids to enjoy their lives without having to provide constant care for me.  My husband asks them not to put him in and it really bothers me.  There's no reason to put extra stress on your kids like that.  I trust that my kids will take care of me to the best of their ability and will make the right decision for all of us.  I refuse to box them in with a selfish demand.  It's not always noble to care for someone at home.  Sometimes help is the right decision. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Ellee said:

Illinois. South of 80. 

I’m too old for this.  Even have a face mask to get through this. SMH

You and I are in the same boat igloo.  I live about a mile south of 80/90, half way across Indiana.

8 hours ago, Normades said:

I totally agree with you on this.  My mother is unfortunately in a nursing home.  We tried very hard to care for her at home and things got so bad that she had to go in.  She has done very well with the extra activity and professional caregivers.  I think it was a good decision.  Of course, her husband visits daily and I go every couple of days, so she gets lots of visits.  We always try to give attention to the other residents while we visit her.  I think it's selfish to ask your child not to put you in a nursing home.  You never know what the situation could be and I personally want my kids to enjoy their lives without having to provide constant care for me.  My husband asks them not to put him in and it really bothers me.  There's no reason to put extra stress on your kids like that.  I trust that my kids will take care of me to the best of their ability and will make the right decision for all of us.  I refuse to box them in with a selfish demand.  It's not always noble to care for someone at home.  Sometimes help is the right decision. 

Yes to every.single.word. 

• Love 3

I really feel for you guys in the Mid West.  I'm in the Mid Atlantic.  We're going to start to be hit tomorrow - no where near as bad as you guys but it's going to be freakin cold.  Tomorrow comes the wind and then Thursday low single digits with wind chills below 0.  We had some snow and rain today and it's expected to freeze overnight.  I just can't help constantly thinking about the heat going out or a power outage.  Or the wind causing one of our big trees to fall over.

And driving!  Yuck.

• Love 2

As I type this, our air temperature is negative twelve, resulting in a wind chill factor of around -40.  Temps expected to keep falling until mid-morning.

We are officially hunkered in.

*Note - Expecting a high temperature of around 48 degrees on Monday. 🌡 

• Love 4

There’s only a few nuts like me that are out around here. Most are heating repairmen from the looks of their vehicles. God bless them. 

Apparently the state police are only going to respond to major type accidents.  

It’s so wicked out there.  

Better days ahead 

• Love 4

Is there a thread for discussing this new forum setup?   I was just getting used to the alphabetical groupings of "Other XYZ" shows and it's gone.    

Is there an option to return to an alphabetical listing? And how do I get the forums to show up the full width of my iPad screen?   The iPad is small enough without having 1/3 of its width devoted to ads. 

Can I change the ugly yellow highlighting the TV show/forum names to a more pleasing color?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, breezy424 said:

Well, I'm confused.  Is there a list of show forums in alphabetical order instead of 'genres'? 

At the top of this screen, hover your cursor over the "Follows" tab, then click on "TV Show Index".  (I'm on a Win10 laptop - dunno if these things appear the same on a mobile platform).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

At the top of this screen, hover your cursor over the "Follows" tab, then click on "TV Show Index".  (I'm on a Win10 laptop - dunno if these things appear the same on a mobile platform).

Ah...  Thank you.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Well, I'm confused.  Is there a list of show forums in alphabetical order instead of 'genres'? 

That's what I'm looking for too.   I'm not a fan of the "genre" categories.

@LucindaWalsh.....thanks for the link.    I'll check it out.  I took the "tour" and found it lacking.    It mentions the placement of ads but doesn't say how to change it.

15 minutes ago, AnnA said:

That's what I'm looking for too.   I'm not a fan of the "genre" categories.

@LucindaWalsh.....thanks for the link.    I'll check it out.  I took the "tour" and found it lacking.    It mentions the placement of ads but doesn't say how to change it.

The ad placement changes from horizontal in-post (former style) to right side orientation when you change the width of your browser view.  If I read correctly, that is the only way to alter that.  If you go to the "Bugs" discussion here https://forums.previously.tv/forum/4378-bugs-questions-suggestions/, @SilverStormm talks about this and other changes/foibles you may encounter.  If you can't find the specific subject you're looking for, try "Other tour-related..."