Type keyword(s) to search

The "HELL YEAH!" Movie Moments

• Start Topic

The moment at the end of LOTR: The Two Towers, when Gandalf arrives with Eomer and his Rohirrim.

"Theoden King stands alone."

"Not alone."

Also, the charge of the Rohirrim in Return of the King. In fact, it seems like Bernard Hill and friends get a lot of the spine-tingling, 'Hell yeah!' moments in that trilogy. And for those two moments, I genuinely did get goosebumps, sitting in the cinema. I think it's the cavalry charges, I think they stir something in me. And oh what the hell, here's the second one:

Still get goosebumps, even watching it on youtube.

"Get away from her, you bitch!" from Aliens is pretty good too.

The end of The Shawshank Redemption, because the first time I saw that, I genuinely believed that Andy had killed himself in his cell.

The end of The Bourne Supremacy too. Love that moment.

• Love 1

The Right Stuff - Flight Director orders John Glenn (Ed Harris) to tell his wife Annie to let VP Johnson into their home. Glenn refuses. In the ensuing argument the FD threatens "and I'm also thinking of changing some flight assignments." Al Shepard (Scott Glenn) steps in and asks "who you gonna get?" The remaining five astronauts simply fold their arms and stare the FD down...........Hell Yeah!

The Caine Mutiny - An intoxicated Barney Greenwald (Jose Ferrer) crashes the officers of the Caine's post trial party and reads them the riot act. He saves his most stinging rebuke for the cowardly Lt Keifer (Fred MacMurray). After throwing a drink in his face, the last line of his diatribe is "if you want to do anything about it I'll be outside. I'm a lot drunker than you are, so it'll be a fair fight".........Hell Yeah! 

Star Wars - Han Solo in The Millenium Falcon has a change of heart and shows up just in time to shoot the bandits off Luke Skywalker's tail....Hell Yeah! 

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 5
Star Wars - Han Solo in The Millenium Falcon has a change of heart and shows up just in time to shoot the bandits off Luke Skywalker's tail....Hell Yeah! 

That's the king of them all.

Superman 2 - Superman crushes Zod's hand.

Man of Steel - Superman flies for the first time.

Guardians of the Galaxy -,

Star-Lord, Drax, Gamora, and Rocket all share the power of the Infinity Stone.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Indy, his father, Marcus and Sallah ride off into the sunset at the end with the Indy theme playing.

Back to the Future - George finally stands up to Biff with "No Biff.  You leave her alone." and winds up knocking out Biff with one punch, and later on when he kisses Lorraine.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 7

Oooh that Back to the Future scene is a great one.  I also loved the moment where it looks like he's going to waver again when that jerk cuts in with him and Lorraine at the dance, then he regains his footing, shoves jerk aside, and gives Lorraine one of the most passionate movie kisses in history.

• Love 4

This will sound so random, but: I was just re-watching Clerks and my two Hell Yeah moments are when Veronica and Randall both call out Dante for all the annoying, pussy-footing, passing the buck bullshit he's been doing all throughout the film.  I was so satisfied by Veronica screaming at him that I watched it twice.

• Love 1

Another great moment from The Color Purple is when Sofia gave a resounding "HELL NO" to Millie asking her to be her maid, and hitting that guy back for slapping her.  Yes, in retrospect it was a dumb thing to do and ultimately even she said it hadn't been worth losing all those years in jail, but after watching Millie condescendingly simper over her children (I don't hug and kiss kids I don't even know, that's just rude) and complimenting on how "clean" they were, hearing Sofia's "Hell No" is just oh-so-satisfying.  For ten seconds anyway.

• Love 1

There's nothing dramatic about this one, but I loved it--this exchange from A Few Good Men:

Col. Jessup:  "Colonel"

Kaffee: "Excuse me?"

Col. Jessup:  "In the future, you'll refer to me as 'sir' or 'colonel'.  I'm quite certain I've earned it."

Judge:  "The defense will address the witness as 'sir' or 'colonel' during these proceedings."

Col. Jessup [to the judge] "I don't know what kind of court you're running here."

Judge:  "And the witness will refer to the bench as 'judge' or 'your honor'.  I'm quite certain I've earned it."

• Love 11

I watched both Bill & Ted movies again recently, and just a few from them.

In Excellent Adventure when they land in the future.  They get to see The Three Most Important People in the Universe, the people who believe in their teachings, and they also see the utopia they made, and they have no idea why these people are worshiping them.  That's more of a "Hell yeah" after the movie though.

Again in Excellent Adventure, their entire history presentation, mainly Abraham Lincoln.

In Bogus Journey, of course when they win Battle of the Bands and the credits show headlines of the Wyld Stallyns achieving their destiny.

• Love 1

NERD ALERT...

Godzilla 2014: He uses his atomic breath for the first time.

Star Trek VI: The shot where Enterprise and Excelsior take care of business and end the Battle of Khitomer.

Oh, hell yeah!

In Battleship when they swing the Mighty Mo around and blast the aliens with the big guns.

War of the Worlds; Tom Cruize is in the alien's basket, get's sucked up to be their next victim but is rescued by the other people grabbing his leg and pulling him back in- then he spits out two or three grenade pins! 

Avatar of course when the animals come charging to the rescue.

Love my sci-fi movies and I watch repeatedly.

Edited by xls
  • Love 1

The "puny god" scene in The Avengers.  I could watch that movie a hundred times and that would still never get old.

God I love that scene, Hulk tossing Jan Brady(oops I mean Loki's) ass around like

a rag doll.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier...

When Hydra came for Nick Fury, then got their asses handed to them.

Man of Steel..

Zod getting dragged through the Corn Field, after threatening Martha Kent.

• Love 1

In Battleship when they swing the Mighty Mo around and blast the aliens with the big guns.

"Let's drop some lead on these mother-!"

I was pretty much just ignoring the characters and concentrating on the pretty explosions until they pulled the crew of geriatric sailors out of mothballs along with the U.S.S. Missouri. At that point they could have killed off everyone played by a major Hollywood actor and I'd have been happy rooting for the old salts!

• Love 3

"Let's drop some lead on these mother-!"

I was pretty much just ignoring the characters and concentrating on the pretty explosions until they pulled the crew of geriatric sailors out of mothballs along with the U.S.S. Missouri. At that point they could have killed off everyone played by a major Hollywood actor and I'd have been happy rooting for the old salts!

I loved seeing those old guys too! Glad they got a chance to shine. The one that goes "Sir we really going to fire on Oahu? Holly shit!" was so cute!

• Love 1

"You think you can threaten my mother!?"

Superman: proving there's no shame in being a mama's boy since 1938!

My "Hell yeah!" moments:

Beauty and the Beast: Belle giving the Gaston the humiliating rejection he so richly deserves. Oh, and standing up to the Beast ("Well, you should learn to control your temper!"). And let's not forget rushing off to save the Beast during the climax and breaking down the palace door on horseback. I went through a phase where I wanted Beauty and the Beast's alternate title to be Hell Yeah!: The Movie.

Mulan: the fan fake-out. Too badass for words.

LotR: The Return of the King: "I am no man!!" Eowyn is awesome, and I won't tolerate anyone saying otherwise.

The Wizard of Oz: It's a minor one, but when the Wizard tries to screw over Dorothy and her friends by making them come back the next day, they're understandably pissed and stand up to him (even the Cowardly Lion!). "Small and meek" Dorothy stands her ground by saying something I wish more movie characters would say: "If you were really great and powerful, you'd keep your promises!" This scene, by the way, is just one of many reasons why Oz: The Great and Powerful was a stupid idea for a movie… I can't figure out why we would be expected to root for a miserable charlatan who has no compunction of sending an innocent kid and her pals to their possible doom.

High Noon:

Will Kane's new wife Amy, who a Quaker, is horrified that he wants to confront Frank Miller and is about to leave him. But when she realizes Will is going to fight Miller all alone, she goes back, and shows an unexpected badass side by not only shooting down one of Miller's men, but scratching Miller's face when he takes her hostage, enabling Will to shoot him.

Then there's the ending.

After screwing over Will, everyone comes out of hiding. Will takes one look at this cowardly, ungrateful lot who failed to help him after all he'd done for them. Without a word, he takes off his tin star, chucks it to the ground, then rides off to a new life with Amy without so much as a backward glance. One of the greatest "fuck all of you" moments ever.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 7

Just got back from seeing Whiplash

Not sure if it's a happy ending or not but that ending was amazing.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't call it

a happy ending, because in a way it felt like Fletcher had his methods justified and so won

, but amazing is the word. The bits where

Andrew mouths "Fuck you!" and when he makes the cymbal almost hit Fletcher in the face

were certainly "hell yeah!" moments for me.

Beauty and the Beast: Belle giving the Gaston the humiliating rejection he so richly deserves. Oh, and standing up to the Beast ("Well, you should learn to control your temper!"). And let's not forget rushing off to save the Beast during the climax and breaking down the palace door on horseback. I went through a phase where I wanted Beauty and the Beast's alternate title to be Hell Yeah!: The Movie.

Ooh yes.  I just rewatched that this weekend because I was so hyped about Emma Watson being cast as Belle.  I hope they keep in the scene from the Broadway version when Belle actually slaps Gaston.  You've got to admire her for at first trying to at least be polite in rejected Gaston when deep down she was thinking, "Get away from me you stalker."  So hearing her finally say, "(The Beast) is no monster, YOU are!" was very very satisfying.

• Love 2

In Lean On Me, the principal, played by Morgan Freeman, was upset to learn that the kids didn't know their alma mater and what little they did know, was terrible.  He wanted them to be able to sing it on demand and usually asked them to do it if he caught them doing something wrong.  He instructed the choir teacher to teach everyone the song in English and Spanish.  This is what happened a few scenes later:

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 4

Superman: proving there's no shame in being a mama's boy since 1938!

It makes the movie more palatable if I pretend it had a subversive agenda of quietly undermining patriarchal movie tropes. Jor-El used his technology to build the rocket, but it was Lara who did the real work of being the first Kryptonian in ages to undergo natural pregnancy and childbirth so that their son could be born free, and she was the one who saw Zod taken down and brought to justice. Jonathan Kent got the lip service as the supposedly wise father figure spouting instructions and even unnecessarily throwing his life away to underscore his wonky philosophy, but Clark clearly took after Martha's example of caring for people and quietly helping them rather than living his life in the uncaring isolation Jonathan advised.

• Love 3

From Kingsman

Now of course, everyone's going to think it's Harry killing the Westboro Baptist Church, but I'm going to go a different route.  The mid credits scene, Eggsy comes back, lets his mother know he got a job and house, and Dean, threatens Eggsy and tells him to leave.  Eggsy starts to leave, and before locking the doors says "A friend once told me manners maketh man."  That's a hell yeah moment because you know what's coming, and also because of the looks on the hooligans around Dean is "Oh shit!" they know what's coming, since Harry said that before kicking all their asses earlier in the movie, they know they don't stand a chance against Eggsy, and even try to warn Dean, but he's not listening.

• Love 5

It makes the movie more palatable if I pretend it had a subversive agenda of quietly undermining patriarchal movie tropes. Jor-El used his technology to build the rocket, but it was Lara who did the real work of being the first Kryptonian in ages to undergo natural pregnancy and childbirth so that their son could be born free, and she was the one who saw Zod taken down and brought to justice. Jonathan Kent got the lip service as the supposedly wise father figure spouting instructions and even unnecessarily throwing his life away to underscore his wonky philosophy, but Clark clearly took after Martha's example of caring for people and quietly helping them rather than living his life in the uncaring isolation Jonathan advised.

I know the movie got mixed reviews, but you bring up some good points.  All of the women displayed strength of character in various ways that had little to do with how many male asses they kicked.  Even Faora was shown as cerebral as she was physically dominant.

(edited)

I Can Do Bad All By Myself

April is an alcoholic singer with low self esteem. She reluctantly takes in her teenaged niece and two young nephews. She lives in an apartment paid for by her mean, abusive married lover. The whole movie, people are trying to convince her that she deserves better. She goes to church for the first time in years and the sermon and song are basically, April, you can do better.

The boyfriend tries to rape the teenaged niece, and she sends him upstairs to take a bath. He insists that the girl came on to him, which opens up old wounds for her of being molested as a child and her mother not believing her.

So she walks into the bathroom with a boom box, plugs it in, and asks the boyfriend what happened. He lies, she loses it, then drops the boom box into the tub. The boyfriend barely jumps out of the water in time and ends up twitching on the floor. And she walks out, doesn't even look back to see if he's okay.

LOVE THAT SCENE.

Edited by Archery
  • Love 3
(edited)

As long as we're admitting to HY moments in Tyler Perry movies, I love the moment in The Family That Preys when the nasty, snobby, cheating wife gets slapped when she tells her husband that she's having sex with her boss.  I know I'm going to hell for that one because it's not okay to hit women, but you know what?  If it had been a male character that was acting like a jerk, putting his wife down all the time, and cheating with his boss behind her back, we would have wanted her to kick him in the balls and cheered as she'd done it.  So the fact that she was a woman was irrelevant in this case.

Edited by Spartan Girl

As long as we're admitting to HY moments in Tyler Perry movies, I love the moment in The Family That Preys when the nasty, snobby, cheating wife gets slapped when she tells her husband that she's having sex with her boss.  I know I'm going to hell for that one because it's not okay to hit women, but you know what?  If it had been a male character that was acting like a jerk, putting his wife down all the time, and cheating with his boss behind her back, we would have wanted her to kick him in the balls and cheered as she'd done it.  So the fact that she was a woman was irrelevant in this case.

If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't help but say "Hell yeah!" when Jerry slapped Masha after escaping in The King of Comedy. Being kidnapped and held hostage by a repulsive, entitled, vile loser like Rupert Pupkin is bad enough, but to have a psycho bitch like Masha serenade you, come on to you, rant and rave in your face while you're bound and gagged for hours? Good lord, I'm amazed he didn't do worse! 

Still, I would have liked to see Jerry exact even deeper, more well-deserved revenge on Rupert, but, alas...

From ...And Justice For All The closing argument scene when Al Pacino's character throws the case after realizing his client is guilty of brutal rape. I don't know what the repercussions of such an action would be for the victim and/or the perpetrator, but I cheered when Al Pacino, gives his greatest, shoutiest line-delivery ever (IMO):

"The prosecution is not gonna get that man today...no...because I'm gonna get him! My client, the Honorable Henry T. Fleming, should go right to fucking jail! The sonofabitch is GUILTY!"

Edited by spaceytraci1208
  • Love 3
(edited)

Ever After: "I would rather die a thousand deaths than to see MY MOTHER'S DRESS WORN BY THAT SPOIILED SELFISH COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The violence and fury in Drew Barrymore's voice as she delivered that line was just beautiful.

Oh, and the ending to Trading Places when Louis and Billy Ray get revenge on the Dukes by making them poor while getting rich.  And the cherry on the sundae?  Billy Ray cheerfully telling them that they made one-dollar bet about whether they could pull it off -- just like the Dukes did with them.  *insert Eddie Murphy '80s laugh here*

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 8

Ever After: "I would rather die a thousand deaths than to see MY MOTHER'S DRESS WORN BY THAT SPOIILED SELFISH COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The violence and fury in Drew Barrymore's voice as she delivered that line was just beautiful.

Oh, and the ending to Trading Places when Louis and Billy Ray get revenge on the Dukes by making them poor while getting rich.  And the cherry on the sundae?  Billy Ray cheerfully telling them that they made one-dollar bet about whether they could pull it off -- just like the Dukes did with them.  *insert Eddie Murphy '80s laugh here*

Great choices, Spartan Girl. Ever After is my favorite Cinderella adaptation, and my personal "Hell yeah!" moment is when Danielle punches out Marguerite. Let's face it, don't you think, in too many Cinderella adaptations, the evil stepmother and stepsisters get off way too easily? If you're an abusive bully, you should get whatever shabby, well-deserved karma that comes your way.

And, oh, Trading Places never gets old, especially the great Ralph Bellamy's priceless "My God... we're ruined!" (cue dramatic heart attack) and Don Ameche's shrill, panicky, outraged reaction (it took a lot of coaxing to get him to say "Fuck him!!"). It's always fun to see older legends play off younger talents, no?

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 3

Yes, I am here for all mentions of Ever After (also my favorite Cinderella adaptation)! When Danielle threatened to slit Pierre "from navel to nose" after he tries to assault her, and then strolled out of his castle? Hells yeah. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 8

Danielle even rescues Henry from the bandits. When their leader tells her she can take away anything she can carry, she picks him up, with some trouble, and puts him over her shoulder. The look on Henry's face when she does it is like, "Wait. This is not what I had in mind!", and the thieves are so charmed (sorry) and amused that their leader says he'll give her a horse after all.

Also, "I want you to know that I will forget you after this moment, and never think of you again. But you, I am quite certain, will think about me every single day for the rest of your life."

YES!!!!!

• Love 9