Type keyword(s) to search

The "HELL YEAH!" Movie Moments

• Start Topic

Yes, a lot of HY Moments for Danielle in Ever After.  She was the most awesome Cinderella ever...although I'm sure Lily James did a good job in the new Cinderella too.

She's a very good Cinderella... a good, traditional Cinderella. If you go in expecting Danielle Redux, you will be sorely disappointed.

As long as we're talking princesses, I have multiple Hell Yeah moments whenever I watch Mulan (I know she's techincally not a princess, but she gets lumped in with the Disney princesses usually).  That little badass figures out how to scale that large pole before everyone else, buries the Huns in an avalanche, saves her man multiple times, kills Shan Yu, and saves the freaking Emperor AND China.  She's the best.

• Love 8

The emperor said it best: "You don't meet a girl like that every dynasty!"

In The Best Years of Our Lives, when Peggy (Teresa Wright) announces to her astonished parents her intent to break up Fred Derry (Dana Andrews)'s marriage, she lectures them that they shouldn't judge her, that they don't know what his marriage is like, because their marriage has always been so darned happy and easy. Her mother, Milly (Myrna Loy) then offers this gentle but powerful rebuttal, along with Peggy's father, Al (Fredric March):

"We never had any trouble." How many times have I told you I hated you and believed it in my heart? How many times have you said you were sick and tired of me; that we were all washed up? How many times have we had to fall in love all over again?

One, it's one of the most beautiful testaments on the reality of even the best marriages, and, also, unlike today's movie parents, they don't take their daughter's crap lying down and they get the final word.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 5
"We never had any trouble." How many times have I told you I hated you and believed it in my heart? How many times have you said you were sick and tired of me; that we were all washed up? How many times have we had to fall in love all over again?

Milly and Al's storyline is my favorite of the film, despite how much other wonderful stuff is going on, and that scene is one of the many reasons why.   

• Love 2

I saw the new Cinderella and even though she was no Danielle, I do think Lily James deserves a HY for

telling the stepmother "You were never my mother and you never will be." Also it was big of her to "forgive" her at the end: she didn't do it for the stepmother, she did it for herself so that she could let go and move on.

.  It was kind of along the same lines as Danielle's "I'm going to forget you after this and never think about you again."

• Love 3

There are quite a few HY moments from Legally Blonde.  First among them would have to be Elle finding out she got the scholarship and telling Warner that it was SO MUCH BETTER than the four "amazing" hours they spent in the hot tub at the winter formal.  Ha!

And a subtler HY moment was when Elle gets tricked into going to that party in a Playbunny costume, but the second she realizes that she was duped, she just shrugs it off, goes with the flow, and goes up to Vivian with that awesome, "I like your costume too, but when I dress up like a frigid bitch, I try not to look so constipated."

• Love 12

I agree Spartan Girl - I love after she says that to Vivienne,  when Warner asks Elle why she dressed up like a Playboy Bunny, she just says "oh, I felt like dressing up" instead of throwing Vivienne under the bus (which she would've been fully within her right to do).  It's such a HY moment to me, because it shows how truly confident she is.  

I also get a total HY when Paulette finally finds her voice with her ex and yells "I'm taking the dog....DUMBASS!"

• Love 9

I also get a total HY when Paulette finally finds her voice with her ex and yells "I'm taking the dog....DUMBASS!"

That's the only part of the movie I like, but I love it.

I think the scene in What's Love Got To Do With It when Tina finally runs as far as she can from Ike deserves a big fat HY.  And the kindness of the Ramada Inn manager that takes one look at her bleeding face and gets her a room free of charge, despite her saying that she'd pay him back, is one of those moments that restores your faith in the human race.

• Love 14

As much as I loathe Crazy Stupid Love and the fact that Emily is never held accountable for her actions, I do get a tiny HYbfrom the scene after the guy fight where Cal is (briefly) finally fed up with her bullshit and tells Kevin Bacon he can have her, only to have Bacon sarcastically say "fantastic", meaning that he doesn't really want her anymore either. So she's dumped by two guys at the same time.

Of course it's later ruined by Cal's big unnecessary apology speech at the end. But for that brief, shining moment, Emily got her comeuppance.

Some more to add.

Truman Show

- When Truman begins to put it all together, and decides to go against his routine.  The moment is him walking into traffic and causing it to stop while holding his hand out.

- Of course, "In case I don't see you, good afternoon, good evening, and good night." followed by the bow and walking out of the Seahaven dome.  Made even better by everyone watching celebrating.

Gladiator

- "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Phoenix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius.  Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next."

- Quintus giving the order for his men not to give Commodus a sword.

Serenity

- "So if I hear a word outta any of you that ain't helping me out or taking your leave, I will shoot you down.  Get to work."

- "My turn."

Jurassic World

- The T-Rex.  Like it could be anything else.

Avengers: Age of Ultron

- "Like the old man said, together."

- "But if you step out that door you are an Avenger."  That's followed a few minutes later by Wanda walking out of that door and tearing apart Ultron soldiers with no problem.

- The appearance of the Helicarrier, complete with one of the guys being on it, being the guy that refused to launch the Insight Helicarriers.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 5

"Odyssey, this is Houston, do you read?"

"That's four minutes, standing by."

"Odyssey, uh, Houston, do you read?"

[pause, crackle]

"Hello, Houston, this is Odyssey. Good to see you again."

"Odyssey, Houston, welcome home. Glad to see you."

--Apollo 13

Had Astronaut Ken Mattingly not been misdiagnosed with measles, they would all have perished on that mission.

• Love 6

The ending of Hot Saturday (1932) which is a movie starring Cary Grant and Nancy Carroll has an awesome Hell Yeah moment at the end which is only possible because it's pre-code.  Basically there's a false rumor that Carroll slept with Grant which lead her to get fired, her parents to turn on her, and her friends treat her like a pariah.  An old crush proposes to her before he hears the rumor and then when he finds out refuses to listen to her side of the situation about why she didn't tell him about the rumor before agreeing to marrying him.  So, she decides that if she's being punished she should at least be guilty and decides to spend the night with Grant.   The next morning the ex-fiance shows up and her parents are stalling because she never came home.  When Carroll comes in her mother tries to convince her to sneak upstairs to put a night gown on to make it look like she's been home.   Here's the Hell Yeah part:  She marches into the kitchen still wearing her party gown from the night before to tell off her ex.  She tells him everything he accused her of the night before was a lie but now has come true.   Then, she packs her bags and runs away with Grant who asks her to marry him.   So we have a classic black and white film where the heroine has premarital sex and gets a happy ending.  If it had been made just 3 years later, the production code would probably have either had her not have sex with Grant or have something horrible happen to her for sleeping with him.

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 1

From The Color Purple, the scene when Celie not only finally put the family especially Mister, on blast for the way they treated her, she called Mister "dead horseshit" was awesome. When I first saw it in the theater, the whole audience cheered, and so did I.

• Love 6
Muppets Most Wanted: When the Muppets are trying to rescue Miss Piggy form Constantine in the helicopter and Constantine brags for the millionth time that he's the world's most dangerous frog, Piggy frees herself and snarls, "Oh brother! You might be the world's most dangerous frog, but you're STILL just a FROG!" and decimates his ass.
  • Love 2

From The Force Awakens

- Luke's lightsaber is lying in the snow, Kylo tries to get it with the Force, he shows he's struggling with it, and it flies right past him into the hands of Rey, who lights it up and Force Theme plays.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 10

Gladiator

- "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Phoenix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius.  Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next."

A great moment. Along with "Are you not entertained????!!!!"  Hands down, one of Russell Crowe's best performances (in a career filled with great performances). 

• Love 2

1989's The Blood of Heroes is a fairly obscure movie, but I consider it one of the greatest sci fi movies I've ever seen. During the jugging match against the top team in The League (capitalization mine) Rutger Hauer's team gets badly beaten up, and this is after his character had already lost an eye in a previous game. Joan Chen was about to make a mad dash with the dog skull to put it on the stake, and he stops her to direct her attention to the fact that her team-mates have already got their opponents either pinned down or trapped in a corner, so the situation is well under control.

He tells her, "Walk. Slowly." because there's no way anyone can stop her, and he wants her to have her moment while rubbing it in the face of the guy who banished him when he was younger. So awesome.

• Love 1

While I don't condone slapping someone, I did think it was a hell yeah moment in On Golden Pond when Ethel slapped Chelsea after listening to her complaining about her father, calling him a son of a bitch, and said "That son of a bitch is my husband", then asked her when she was going to grow up.  She didn't have the greatest relationship with her father, but he was never abusive.  I just got the feeling that he, being from a different generation, didn't know how to relate to little girls, so the relationship was strained.  As an adult, she could have tried to overcome that and start a new kind of relationship with him, instead of sulking and being jealous of her soon to be step son. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Six of the best "Hell, Yeah!" moments in Die Hard were when McClane put the Deputy Chief on blast for being humiliated on national TV,  limo driver Argyle knocked out one of the henchmen, McClane shot/killed Hans Gruber & another henchman, Sgt. Powell killed Karl, which was the first time Powell had used his gun since he accidentally shot a kid, Holly's decking the reporter who threatened her maid, exploited her kids & endangered her & McClane (aka her estranged husband) in the process & last, but not least, "Yippee-Kai-Yay, motherfucker."

• Love 4

Another good HY moment is in The Heat, when Melissa McCarthy catches a married guy with a hooker. She not only arrests him, she calls his wife so she can have the pleasure of listening to her twist his arm, and when he tries to weasel his way out with rage excuse that his wife just had a baby, she sarcastically replies, "Oh, I love the sound of a man complaining about his wife's messed-up lady parts after she gives him his FIFTH FUCKING CHILD."

• Love 1

I absolutely love her as the villain.  I copy her delivery on "I hate this fucking song" from time to time.  But the best is when they've going over the list of (past their prime/never had a prime) players she's inviting to training camp, someone points out one of the men listed is dead, and she says, "So cross him off, then."

Anyway, "hell yeah!" moments from Major League.  "I say fuck you, Jobu.  I'll do it myself."

And Suzanne Dorn, as Roger heads to the big game, "Oh, there's something I'd like to tell you."  (Which is that, as an act of revenge upon finding out Roger was a big ol' cheater, she slept with his most-hated teammate.)

That's it, I'm pulling out the DVD as soon as I get home.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

I absolutely love her as the villain.  I copy her delivery on "I hate this fucking song" from time to time.

Me, too!

But the best is when they've going over the list of (past their prime/never had a prime) players she's inviting to training camp, someone points out one of the men listed is dead, and she says, "So cross him off, then."

I'm so going to hell for this, but a number of years ago, I was at a church meeting and someone said that we had update the members contact info because some of the people had died.  That line sprang into my head and I had such a hard time choking back a fit of giggles I had to leave for a few minutes.

• Love 2

Sissy Spacek giving Marisa Tomei the mother of all bitchslaps in In The Bedroom.  I know rationally it wasn't exactly fair to blame her for her son's death, but she still was kind of responsible.  She gets involved with a younger man when she still has an abusive ex-husband stalking her and breaking into her house whenever he feels like it...and despite all that, she never calls the cops on him.  What did she think was going to happen?

What really makes it work was how Sissy just calmly goes back to work right afterward like Marisa has ceased to exist.

Just about to finish watching Brooklyn, and I literally cheered when Eilis told off the woman she used to work for when she tried to confront her about her marriage back in America.

"I'd forgotten."

"How could you forget..."

"I'd forgotten what this town is like. What were you planning to do, Miss Kelly? Keep me away from Jim? Stop me from going back to America? Perhaps you didn't even know. Perhaps it was enough for you to know that you could ruin me." *stands up* "My name is Eilis Fiorello."

• Love 2