Type keyword(s) to search

The "HELL YEAH!" Movie Moments

• Start Topic

Of course, the root of the problem may actually be that Snyder was more interested in Kal-El as an example of Invading Monster from the Depths of Outer Space!!! than as any exemplar of heroism. (The fact that this still enrages me is the source of the third sentence in my post above.)

I'm also persuaded that the most clear-eyed conception of Batman exists in The Lego Batman Movie. But I digress.

One place where I thought BvS was clearly going for an "Aw, hell, yeah!" and ended up with more of a "Shhhyeah, no shit" was in the moment where Batman rescues Martha (Kent -- and don't even get me started on the "No -- MY mom's name is Martha!" idiocy) and explains (gruffly, of course) that it's okay, he a friend of her son's -- and Martha's reaction looks for all the world like two distinct thoughts are occurring to her near-simultaneously: "Oh -- my son made a friend! ... And, wait, my son's only friend is another costumed weirdo..." I thought that was a lovely moment provided by the inexcusably under-used Diane Lane -- but one which the screenwriter may or may not have intended.

Edited by Sandman
Because one "distinct" is plenty.
  • Love 7
(edited)

From Infinity War.

Spoiler

- Steve's first appearance where he walks out of the shadows, and he, Nat, and Sam save Vision and Wanda.

- Thor arrives in Wakanda, sees the remaining members of the Black Order, and yells out "Bring me Thanos!"

- "She's not alone."

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 14

From Black Panther:

W'Kabi: You would kill me, my love?

Okoye: For Wakanda? Without question.

Danai Gurira herself said that what made that moment so great it breaks the trope of a female character's principles being manipulated by her emotions.

• Love 18

I watched the first Back to the Future yesterday. I still get happy during the scene when they all reappear in the picture. Even if it makes no scientific sense, it is still a powerful moment, the music adds to it.

• Love 3
(edited)

Col. Nathan Jessup in A Few Good Men is quite possibly one of the most detestable fictional characters ever written, because he's so real: a swaggering sociopath who confuses arrogance for confidence, bullying for authority, perverted sexism for flirting, and is basically the embodiment of toxic masculinity. His cruelty and short-sightedness are the reasons an innocent cadet is dead, and God knows he hasn't lost any sleep over it. 

So whenever he's told off, it makes the movie all the more glorious and "HELL YEAH!!!"-worthy, whether it's by Judge Randolph in this golden exchange:

Col. Jessup: I would appreciate it if you would address me as "Colonel" or "Sir." I believe I've earned it.

Judge Randolph: Defense counsel will address the witness as "Colonel" or "Sir."

Col. Jessup: I don't know what the hell kind of unit you're running here.

Col. Jessup: And the witness will address this court as "Judge" or "Your Honor." I'm quite certain I've earned it. Take your seat, Colonel.

And especially at the end by pretty much everyone, but especially by Daniel Kaffee: 

Capt. Ross: Colonel Jessup, you have the right to remain silent. Any statement you make...

Col. Jessup: I'm being charged with a crime? Is that what this is? I'm being charged with a crime? This is funny. That's what this is. This is...

[turning to Kaffee and lunging at him]

Col. Jessup: ... I'm gonna rip the eyes out of your head and piss into your dead skull! You fucked with the wrong Marine!

Capt. Ross: Colonel Jessup! Do you understand these rights as I have just read them to you?

Col. Jessup: [contemptuously] You fuckin' people... you have no idea how to defend a nation. All you did was weaken a country today, Kaffee. That's all you did. You put people's lives in danger. Sweet dreams, son.

Kaffee: Don't call me son. I'm a lawyer, and an officer in the United States Navy, and you're under arrest you son of a bitch.

[glares at Jessup]

Kaffee: The witness is excused.

Boom! Now who's in the "business of saving lives", asshole?

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 8
(edited)

Because I just saw it and it was free thanks to my subscription to HBO, for me it was when Supes was beating the crap out of Fatman in Justice League. What with Assfleck's version of this character, blathering on like Lex or the Doctor that created Frankenstein, with respect to resurrecting Supes. What they got? Before Lois showed up? They who agreed to that nonsense deserved. Not to mention how this version of "Batman" and "Bruce Wayne" I hold responsible for Supes being shit on. Since WB/DC were stealing from themselves, they shoulda gone all the way and had Supes toss him around like a ragdoll, like Hulk did to Loki in Avengers. 

Why yes, I am that petty and bitter.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Because I just saw it and it was free thanks to my subscription to HBO, for me it was when Supes was beating the crap out of Fatman in Justice League. What with Assfleck's version of this character, blathering on like Lex or the Doctor that created Frankenstein, with respect to resurrecting Supes. What they got? Before Lois showed up? They who agreed to that nonsense deserved. Not to mention how this version of "Batman" and "Bruce Wayne" I hold responsible for Supes being shit on. Since WB/DC were stealing from themselves, they shoulda gone all the way and had Supes toss him around like a ragdoll, like Hulk did to Loki in Avengers. 

Why yes, I am that petty and bitter.

Save me a seat at the petty and bitter table right next to you.

Another HY moment from that film was Wonder Woman smacking him around for rubbing Steve Revor in her face, and everyone else taking her side. "If she kills you, we're all covering for her."

One more that's a little weird: Superman's big entrance: "I'm a big fan of truth...but I'm also a big fan of Justice." So happy to see Cavill's Superman making cornball jokes like that; it's the first time in these movies that he really felt like Superman.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

One more that's a little weird: Superman's big entrance: "I'm a big fan of truth...but I'm also a big fan of Justice." So happy to see Cavill's Superman making cornball jokes like that; it's the first time in these movies that he really felt like Superman.

Having him show up (and not in the last five minutes) just proved this could have been a much better movie had he been there from the beginning and if he was recruiting and leading. This should probably go in the Unpopular Opinion thread, but I loved how the movie ended with Clark. Cavill just got a raw deal all the way around.

• Love 3

I had the pleasure of watching Inception a few days ago. Loved the twisty storyline and decent acting and music; but what I really loved was the "cityscape folding in on itself" as well as the fight scenes in corridors and lift-shafts while seemingly in zero-gravity. 

• Love 2
On 5/2/2018 at 10:02 AM, Jediknight said:

From Infinity War.

Hide contents

- Steve's first appearance where he walks out of the shadows, and he, Nat, and Sam save Vision and Wanda.

- Thor arrives in Wakanda, sees the remaining members of the Black Order, and yells out "Bring me Thanos!"

- "She's not alone."

Spoiler

Re your second choice,  having Rocket & Teenage Groot there for backup made it even better.

• Love 5

From my all-time favorite movie about journalism, Shattered Glass:

The New Republic editor Chuck Lane (Peter Saarsgaard, never better) finally wises up and fires that lying, manipulative, unethical little shit-weasel Stephen Glass (Hayden Christensen, also never better). Chuck is confronted and chewed out by Caitlin (Chloe Sevigny), one of Stephen's many colleagues/defenders/acolytes, demanding to know if the firing was in any way personal. Chuck, up to this point, has been going out of his way to play "good cop", mainly because he replaced the much-loved previous editor Michael Kelly (Hank Azaria), and also because Stephen is so young and popular. But after realizing the extent of Stephen's completely fabricated articles, and the way he's played everyone like a fiddle, Chuck explodes with this blistering, awe-inspiring diatribe: 

Caitlin, when this thing blows, there isn't going to be a magazine anymore. If you want to make this about Mike, make it about Mike. I don't give a shit. You can resent me, you can hate me, but come Monday morning, we're all going to have to answer for what we let happen here. We're all going to have an apology to make! Jesus Christ! Don't you have any idea how much shit we're about to eat? Every competitor we ever took a shot at, they're going to pounce. And they should. Because we blew it, Caitlin. He handed us fiction after fiction and we printed them all as fact. Just because... we found him "entertaining." It's indefensible. Don't you know that?

I want to cheer every time I watch that scene, because Chuck finally learns the hard way what it means to be the boss. Being the boss isn't about being "likable", because any nitwit or sociopath can "liked". Being the boss means doing what's best for your employees and the business, and if that means making unpleasant or unpopular decisions, and if it means people think you're a jerk or boring?

Then. So. Be. It.

"Boss" and "friend" aren't synonymous, they're not supposed to be. I remember a shocking number of misguided souls (read: idiots) on the IMDb message boards whining about how Chuck was wrong to fire Stephen and ruin his career. Uh, no? Stephen Glass made a mockery of not just the New Republic, but of journalism itself. He's not the victim, he did it to himself. He also put his colleagues' careers in jeopardy, because they might be tainted by association. Sound unfair? Yeah, but that's life. 

What makes Shattered Glass even more rewarding is the fact that Stephen Glass was disbarred in California in 2014, and, in 2003, wrote a widely panned self-insert fanfiction-, I mean, "novel". Good riddance, twerp.

• Love 7

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom:

When Queenie saves the hoomans' asses not once, but TWICE! But I was really cheering when she gobbled up the sleazy, murdering what'shisface.

And when Blue twisted so that the Indigoraptor landed on the spikes while she landed on its stomach, thereby escaping death.

And though it was the "villain" of the piece, when IndigoRaptor was faking being knocked out by the tranqs, tail twitching, eye opening, then stopping and closing the eye when Buffalo Bill human poacher was attempting to pull its teeth.

Other than those moments? I didn't care for this movie and I've stated why in the movie thread.

Zootopia:The climax where Judy and Nick, after they've reconciled,

Spoiler

discover Bellwether's evil scheme, and they basically take advantage of her gloating and "monologuing" (thanks, Incredibles!) to fake her out and tape what essentially a confession. Judy rightly rubs it in her face with, 

"It's called a hustle, sweetheart. Boom."

Greatest kiss-off to a villain ever.

• Love 5
On 3/17/2016 at 2:27 PM, BatmanBeatles said:

This:

The Ultimate FU from the grave, EVER!

The shot of the entire student body looking like they wanted to beat  Katherine's ass.

Takes. Me. Out. Every time.

Excellent modern retelling of Dangerous Liasions.

• Love 6

To any classic movie fan who asks why I love and defend Greer Garson (seriously, what did she ever do to make critics hate her?), I point to Mrs. Miniver, in which our titular heroine, an upper middle class woman whose earliest scene was buying an overpriced hat, slaps a Nazi.

Let me repeat that: Mrs. Miniver. Slaps. A. Nazi

He could have killed her, or had her killed, but she got tired of his heartless, pompous, unfeeling rhetoric, so she gave his face a well-deserved smack. I have to wonder if audiences in the 1940s cheered out loud at that scene. I know I do.

You  know what? Greer Garson earned her Oscar. Yeah, I said it, fight me! 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

To any classic movie fan who asks why I love and defend Greer Garson (seriously, what did she ever do to make critics hate her?), I point to Mrs. Miniver, in which our titular heroine, an upper middle class woman whose earliest scene was buying an overpriced hat, slaps a Nazi.

Let me repeat that: Mrs. Miniver. Slaps. A. Nazi

He could have killed her, or had her killed, but she got tired of his heartless, pompous, unfeeling rhetoric, so she gave his face a well-deserved smack. I have to wonder if audiences in the 1940s cheered out loud at that scene. I know I do.

You  know what? Greer Garson earned her Oscar. Yeah, I said it, fight me! 

That's so cool!

• Love 3

Anytime a Nazi gets slapped or harmed in any way is an automatic HELL YEAH!

And in that spirit, I'd like to add Jake and Elwood destroying the Nazi rally in The Blues Brothers. They didn't even think it over, had zero fucks to give, they just plowed right into them.

• Love 14

You wouldn't think, in a million years, that saccharine Shirley Temple could ever have a "HELL YEAH" moment, but she did in The Little Princess. Temple plays the classic riches-to-rags heroine Sara Crewe, who is forced to work as a scullery maid at her all-girls' school by bitch-on-wheels headmistress Miss Minchin. Sara refuses to believe her father, who is off at war, is dead as reported, and has been sneaking off to the hospital to find out what happened to him. When she's caught, Miss Minchin naturally bitches her out, but Sara (who possesses an iron backbone most adults only wish they had) fires back with, 

"Don't you say that! He's not dead, he's not! And you can't stop me from looking for him, either!"

Miss Minchin does not take this lightly, and raises her hand to slap Sara... then freezes. Instead of cowering or crying, Sara, holding back tears, stands her ground and looks Miss Minchin dead in the eye with a facial expression that all but screams, "Try it, bitch!" Sara is punished anyway, but not slapped, and you can tell Miss Minchin now knows Sara is more formidable than she realized.

Damn. Who knew little Shirley could be such a badass? 

• Love 10

BlackKklansman: Ron finally revealing to David Duke over the phone that the guy he helped get into the klan was a black cop "and that detective is Ron Stallworth, you racist, peckerwood, redneck, inch worm, needle-dick motherfucker!"

CLICK!

• Love 13

Crazy Rich Asians: 

Astrid confronts her unfaithful husband, who proceeds to whine about how she "cares too much about what others think" and how she doesn't him make him "feel like a man" (yep, he actually defends his infidelity with those old chestnuts). Astrid cooly, flawlessly fires back,

It was never my job to make you feel like a man. I can't make you something you're not.

Ooooooooh, SNAP! Chew on that, you faithless loser!

• Love 13

I loved Rachel showing up at the wedding head high.  I mean, you knew she was gonna, but it still gave me goosebumps.

This New Years's Eve I timed starting Infinity War so that "BRING ME THANOS!" played right at midnight. 

• Love 3

Whenever Ted Kennedy (Jason Clarke) gets told off/insulted/called out in Chappaquiddick (one of my favorite films of 2018), I yell "HELL YEAH!", but the crowning glory, the icing on the cake, comes when he's going to Mary Jo Kopechne's funeral. Ol' Teddy (wearing that bogus neck brace) is riding in a limo with his long-suffering wife Joan (Andria Blackman, who looks just like the genuine article). Ted simpers, "Thanks for doing this with me, Joanie!" and Joan, so sick of all his bullshit, simply deadpans, "Go fuck yourself, Ted."

Just the timing, the delivery, the context, made that moment a gem. 

• Love 9

In Return of the Jedi Rebel Alliance finally defeating the Empire managing to turn the tables despite being so completely out numbered on land and in the air, Luke refusing to fight Vader until provoked and quickly defeating him, then refusing to join the Emperor "I am a Jedi like my father before me', Anakin/Vader kills the Emperor to save his son which leads to his own death, Han tricking the Empire, blowing up Vader's ship and watching it crash into the Death Star, blowing up the Death Star, the celebrations on Endor and elsewhere and fire works.

The rescue of Han at Jabba's Palace ending with Leia strangling Jabba with her chain, Luke killing a whole bunch of his guards, Han and Chewie saving Lando, Leia aiming the gun at the deck and Luke blowing it up.  Maybe you should have just taken the money, Jabba.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

In Return of the Jedi Rebel Alliance finally defeating the Empire managing to turn the tables despite being so completely out numbered on land and in the air, Luke refusing to fight Vader until provoked and quickly defeating him, then refusing to join the Emperor "I am a Jedi like my father before me', Anakin/Vader kills the Emperor to save his son which leads to his own death, Han tricking the Empire, blowing up Vader's ship and watching it crash into the Death Star, blowing up the Death Star, the celebrations on Endor and elsewhere and fire works.

The rescue of Han at Jabba's Palace ending with Leia strangling Jabba with her chain, Luke killing a whole bunch of his guards, Han and Chewie saving Lando, Leia aiming the gun at the deck and Luke blowing it up.  Maybe you should have just taken the money, Jabba.

People love to crap on Return of the Jedi, but I love it, mainly because it's Leia's finest hour. Rescuing Hn, defeating Jabba, befriending the Ewoks and getting them to aid in the battle, what's not to love?

• Love 9
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:02 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

People love to crap on Return of the Jedi, but I love it, mainly because it's Leia's finest hour. Rescuing Hn, defeating Jabba, befriending the Ewoks and getting them to aid in the battle, what's not to love?

I love it for Han's rescue and how awesome that was and we finally get all the pay offs. Seeing the Rebels finally win after being outgunned and overpowered the entire trilogy. Walking into a trap and figuring out how to turn the tables. Lando convincing them not to flee and give Han and Leia more time and his plan at flying close to the Empire ships to get them blown up too with every time the Death Star fired on one of theirs. Luke managing to turn Vader back. Vader killing the Emperor. There's so many great scenes. Leia finally shining I love how she doesn't hesitate with her part of the plan. Nope, she smashes the light and window source and kills Jabba. Befriending the Ewoks which leads to them helping them in battle. C3PO telling the Ewoks of their adventures and pretending to surrender. Chewie and two Ewoks taking over a walker. Its my favorite Star Wars movie. Its still the best ending. 

• Love 12
On ‎02‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:02 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

It's the Ewoks.  Without them, Jedi would be a fantastic movie.  With them, it is diminished, unfortunately.

• Love 1

The Sound of Music:

"Reverend Mother, I have sinned."

"I too have sinned."

"What is this sin my children?"

*side-eye*

*pull out car parts from behind their backs*

That we hear the sound of the Nazi cars hopelessly stalling outside the convent throughout this entire conversation is what makes it so damn funny and satisfying.

• Love 23
3 minutes ago, Ravenya003 said:

The Sound of Music:

"I too have sinned."

*side-eye*

That we hear the sound of the Nazi cars hopelessly stalling outside the convent throughout this entire conversation is what makes it so damn funny and satisfying.

That is a great moment. Best movie nuns ever.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Ravenya003 said:

The Sound of Music:

"I too have sinned."

*side-eye*

My grandmother loved that movie (as do I!), and that was her favorite part. 

• Love 6

The Disney cartoon version of Robin Hood had some pretty good HY moments. Lady Cluck, one of the most overlooked Disney heroines, singlehandedly taking out a whole army of soldiers was pretty awesome.

And Friar Tuck throwing out the Sheriff and physically attacked him after he raided the church poor box -- which only had a single farthing so selflessly donated by the sweet mice couple. It got him arrested, but still WORTH IT!

• Love 13
On 1/16/2019 at 2:50 AM, kiddo82 said:

I loved Rachel showing up at the wedding head high.  I mean, you knew she was gonna, but it still gave me goosebumps.

"Amanda. [serene smile] You're in my way."

Edited by Schweedie
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Captain Marvel

Reveal spoiler

"You're right, I am only human."  And the shots of Carol getting right back up.

Ooh that was good. But I also loved

Yon-Rogg trying to cheat by changing the rules to hand-to-hand combat urging Carol to "prove she's the stronger one". Without blinking an eye, Carol just nails him with a photon blast and says, "I don't have anything to prove to you."

• Love 10
17 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

My Captain Marvel "HELL YEAH!" moment? Carol stealing the douchebag who told her to smile's motorcycle without a pang of remorse.

Yeah, I'm petty, what of it?

Sorry, did he do anything else to her, did he keep going on about that, refuse to complete a service Carol paid for if she didn't (a girl cashier once did that to me) ? If not, she sucks. How fucking insecure do you have to be that you steal some several thousand transport for a pretty beign comment?

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Sorry, did he do anything else to her, did he keep going on about that, refuse to complete a service Carol paid for if she didn't (a girl cashier once did that to me) ? If not, she sucks. How fucking insecure do you have to be that you steal some several thousand transport for a pretty beign comment?

Well, some people feel differently, and that’s okay. Also, talk to me when you’ve had that happen to you at least 100x (like me).

ETA

There is nothing insecure about Carol during that entire movie.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
(edited)
On 4/6/2019 at 11:48 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

My Captain Marvel "HELL YEAH!" moment? Carol stealing the douchebag who told her to smile's motorcycle without a pang of remorse.

Yeah, I'm petty, what of it?

That was a fun moment. She needed a ride, and he was being a dick. Nothing to start clutching pearls over. 

Edit: I mean, in "Civil War" Bucky runs up to a random guy and steals his bike right out from under him so he can escape the authorities. It's not like this is the first time one of our heroes has done this. 

Edited by Ravenya003
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

That was a fun moment. She needed a ride, and he was being a dick. Nothing to start clutching pearls over. 

Nothing to clutch pearls over but stealing. 

Well, some people feel differently, and that’s okay. Also, talk to me when you’ve had that happen to you at least 100x (like me).

ETA

There is nothing insecure about Carol during that entire movie.

Just because the other 99 guys that told her to smile doesn't mean the 100th guy deserved to be robber.

Edited by Ambrosefolly

In one of my favorite Cinderella adaptations, The Slipper and the Rose (everyone loves to pooh-pooh this movie, but I love it anyway):

After being joyously reunited, Cinderella and Prince Edward announce their engagement to her horrid stepmother and stepsisters. Before leaving, Cinderella says, "And in my happiness, I forgive you all!" Then she and Edward leave without a backward glance, and the stepmother pricelessly fumes, "How DARE she forgive me?!"

Beautiful. It was either Groucho Marx or Oscar Wilde who said "Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them more", and it's so flawlessly exemplified here. And points to Gemma Craven's line delivery: Cinderella's kiss-off could have sounded prissy and self-righteous, but it thankfully doesn't.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

In one of my favorite Cinderella adaptations, The Slipper and the Rose (everyone loves to pooh-pooh this movie, but I love it anyway):

After being joyously reunited, Cinderella and Prince Edward announce their engagement to her horrid stepmother and stepsisters. Before leaving, Cinderella says, "And in my happiness, I forgive you all!" Then she and Edward leave without a backward glance, and the stepmother pricelessly fumes, "How DARE she forgive me?!"

Beautiful. It was either Groucho Marx or Oscar Wilde who said "Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them more", and it's so flawlessly exemplified here. And points to Gemma Craven's line delivery: Cinderella's kiss-off could have sounded prissy and self-righteous, but it thankfully doesn't.

I will have to watch that movie again, it's been years since I saw it. But that moment does sound awesome. The Disney live action one did a similar moment, it wasn't really HY style but more along the lines of Ella forgiving her stepmother and cutting all tie for herself so that she can move on and be happy, which I thought was very well done too.

• Love 1