Type keyword(s) to search

Shameless Fame Whores: Sister Wives in the Media

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I agree with what you're saying, but have to add that when teenage girls are forced to marry men old enough to be their grandfathers, with the threat of hell being thrown in if they say no, then they probably dread any physical contact with their husbands. Neglect is better than some gross old guy pawing at you every night.

I've read quite a few books about women's stories of their life in polygamy.  I think it was in "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop where she described sexual contact with her husband very graphically.  There was nothing past primal "meeting of needs" by the husband and they even kept their magic long underwear on during the encounter.  I agree that most if not all women would dread physical contact with their husbands with that kind of intimacy.

• Love 3
On 12/30/2016 at 8:39 AM, ghoulina said:

So, what if none of Kody's children are "sealed"? Does that mean they all remain on his planet, even if they get married and have their own families? That might explain why he doesn't seem that perturbed that his children are choosing more "normal" lifestyles. 

If in remembering correctly, once on their celestial planet, the wives are pregnant for eternity and populate the heavenly planet. 

(Personally, I cannot get over how much cognitive dissonance is required to follow this religion... or any religion, but this one takes the cake.)

• Love 8
1 hour ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

If in remembering correctly, once on their celestial planet, the wives are pregnant for eternity and populate the heavenly planet. 

(Personally, I cannot get over how much cognitive dissonance is required to follow this religion... or any religion, but this one takes the cake.)

I'm doing a lot of reading on Scientology due to my recent interest in the Leah Remini series.  Scientologists make Kody look like Einstein.

• Love 9
Just now, AZChristian said:

I'm doing a lot of reading on Scientology due to my recent interest in the Leah Remini series.  Scientologists make Kody look like Einstein.

I read a lot of Scientology books in 2016 since I watched the Going Clear documentary. Same with Fundamentalist Mormonism - specifically the books by Irene Spencer and her sisterwives.

• Love 1

I was bored while having my second cuppa coffee this morning, so I took a look at the Clark County Assessors website.

I'm no lawyer, but 5 minutes on the website makes it look like Meri, Janelle, and Robyn all have second mortgages on their houses.  Meri's appears to have the infamous Kendra (Robyn's friend) as someone to whom she owes money.  Christine appears to have not taken a second mortgage yet, which may be why Tony thought they could do a second on Mykelti's mom's house for their wedding.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I was bored while having my second cuppa coffee this morning, so I took a look at the Clark County Assessors website.

I'm no lawyer, but 5 minutes on the website makes it look like Meri, Janelle, and Robyn all have second mortgages on their houses.  Meri's appears to have the infamous Kendra (Robyn's friend) as someone to whom she owes money.  Christine appears to have not taken a second mortgage yet, which may be why Tony thought they could do a second on Mykelti's mom's house for their wedding.

They day TLC pulls the plug on this "poop storm" is they day they are all out on their asses.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I'm no lawyer, but 5 minutes on the website makes it look like Meri, Janelle, and Robyn all have second mortgages on their houses.

Plural marriage, plural mortgages....

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CofCinci said:

I'm very savvy with records searching -- I don't see any new mortgage info.

You're right, CoC.  I should have had a 3rd cup of coffee.  I was seeing similar names, and jumped to a wrong conclusion.  Sorry, everyone!!!

I just moved back to the midwest from Vegas. It's been just a few years but from where I sat, new building has been halted and homes have actually lost the value they once had. I was shocked to hear a well off frienemy lost her upgraded mcmansion. The last house I had leased there I see was sold back to the bank.

The banks are not handing out those crazy mortgages.    

15 hours ago, FairyDusted said:

I just moved back to the midwest from Vegas. It's been just a few years but from where I sat, new building has been halted and homes have actually lost the value they once had. I was shocked to hear a well off frienemy lost her upgraded mcmansion. The last house I had leased there I see was sold back to the bank.

The banks are not handing out those crazy mortgages.    

I currently live in town and there's lots of new building. It's unbelievable--coming into the valley from RR Pass there's new housing construction by College Drive, new building on GV Parkway, name just about any part of town and there's new construction going on. Not sure who's buying them, but they're building them. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Runnergirl said:

I currently live in town and there's lots of new building. It's unbelievable--coming into the valley from RR Pass there's new housing construction by College Drive, new building on GV Parkway, name just about any part of town and there's new construction going on. Not sure who's buying them, but they're building them. 

I lived in GV. Did they finish those that development across from the Catholic church? they were stunning but seemed to just stop building  and none were occupied.

2 hours ago, FairyDusted said:

I lived in GV. Did they finish those that development across from the Catholic church? they were stunning but seemed to just stop building  and none were occupied.

Which catholic church? Currently there's new construction going up on GV Parkway and Stephanie. 

• Love 1

I think it was St. Francis. Right by the Target on GV between Sunridge Pkwy near Carnige. The units were about a mil up on that hill.   The project on Stephanie had just started again when I left. My husband still works for Las Vegas Paving. Retiring this summer. Cross country marriage is not delightful. But gotta make bank while we can! 

• Love 2

I'm willing to bet they are happy about it too. These grifters don't want to be considered married with all the financial implications of that. They want to be single parents on government aid after the TLC gravy train leaves town. 

• Love 7

In a nutshell:

Browns sue Utah to strike down law against cohabitation. They win.

Result is overturned on appeal. Reason: Browns have no standing and are not injured by this law. Utah doesn't prosecute cohabitation unless other crimes involved.

Browns appeal to Supreme Court. Court refuses to hear appeal.

Browns & Dargers continue to live in fear of prosecution for cohabitation.

Did I get that right?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SongbirdHollow said:

In a nutshell:

Browns sue Utah to strike down law against cohabitation. They win.

Result is overturned on appeal. Reason: Browns have no standing and are not injured by this law. Utah doesn't prosecute cohabitation unless other crimes involved.

Browns appeal to Supreme Court. Court refuses to hear appeal.

Browns & Dargers continue to live in fear of prosecution for cohabitation.

Did I get that right?

Don't forget they are in fear of prosecution for cohabiting in 4 different Mcmansions

• Love 6
On 1/22/2017 at 11:16 PM, mbutterfly said:

I kind of eased into seeing Kodi as a polygamist. He already was one. But if this show has Tony marry another young woman (or heck old woman) it will totally gross me out. Totally. Grossed. 

And despite what she said in the Tell-All, I can't for one minute imagine Mykelti being okay with adding another wife who'd take away attention from her.

• Love 7
On 1/2/2017 at 10:17 AM, FakeJoshDuggar said:

They day TLC pulls the plug on this "poop storm" is they day they are all out on their asses.

You're almost certainly right about that. Here's something I don't understand, that I've brought up with my wife several times, and that I don't think I've brought up on these forums yet: Instead of building four separate, cookie-cutter, ugly ass McMansions, why didn't the Browns buy an abandoned multi-story warehouse/factory? There are some cool things you can do with those and it would have let them all live together under one roof again. Plus, it would have given them plenty of room for play space for all their kids, and it would have kept costs under control somewhat since they wouldn't need 4 kitchens, 4 garages, 4 laundry rooms, and all the appliances and amenities that go with that. Sure, they would still have needed at least two refrigerators, but they could have opted for one much larger refrigerator and freezer like what the rich people do. Instead of having four cable bills (because you know they're not sacrificing that), they'd have one. And living in a former warehouse/factory would put them somewhat centrally located, which makes commuting, shopping, and just going out for a night much easier. I've seen this kind of stuff done on other shows and the results are really impressive.

@MrSmith, sounds good on paper. If that kind of building even exists in Vegas it would probably cost TLC more money.  It would be a large and time consuming job if zoning would  even allow it.  

It would have been better viewing with all the drama that would foster though! 

• Love 1

They don't WANT to live under one roof in true polygamist fashion.  I think Janelle and Christine could handle it, but Meri has made it crystal clear that she wants her own space, and she needs it to be as grandiose as what the the other wives have, even though she needs 1/4 of the space the other wives need.  I don't know if you saw the episode where Meri actually threw a big whiny baby cry-fest over that stupid wet bar, and it mattered not one bit that the entire floor plan of her house had to be re-drawn to accommodate it.  She pouted and cried until Kody gave in.  It was ridiculous behavior on her part, but she won.

Plus, these people are legends in their own minds.  I believe that Kody thinks his family is just so fascinating, unique and special that their show will continue until Princess Aurelioioiola gets married.  I also think that, given a cancellation warning from TLC, he might just start a'courtin' Wifey #5 in order to keep the gravy train rolling.  So why consolidate when they're just so darn famous and such?  

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 11
Just now, wings707 said:

@MrSmith, sounds good on paper. If that kind of building even exists in Vegas it would probably cost TLC more money.  It would be a large and time consuming job if zoning would  even allow it.  

It would have been better viewing with all the drama that would foster though! 

I suppose, given the rate at which buildings are demolished and replaced in LV, there probably aren't very many such structures in that city.

1 minute ago, laurakaye said:

They don't WANT to live under one roof in true polygamist fashion.  I think Janelle and Christine could handle it, but Meri has made it crystal clear that she wants her own space, and she needs it to be as grandiose as what the the other wives have, even though she needs 1/4 of the space the other wives need.  I don't know if you saw the episode where Meri actually threw a big whiny baby cry-fest over that stupid wet bar, and it mattered not one bit that the entire floor plan of her house had to be re-drawn to accommodate it.  She pouted and cried until Kody gave in.  It was ridiculous behavior on her part, but she won.

Plus, these people are legends in their own minds.  I believe that Kody thinks his family is just so fascinating, unique and special that their show will continue until Princess Aurelioioiola gets married.  I also think that, given a cancellation warning from TLC, he might just start a'courtin' Wifey #5 in order to keep the gravy train rolling.  So why consolidate when they're just so darn famous and such?  

Actually, I was watching during that season and did see that episode. Both my wife and I thought it was completely ridiculous - both for her to act that way and for Kody to actually let her have her way. I mean, a wet bar sounds neat and like it'll be totally useful, but if they'd stopped to think about it at all they would have realized that in reality it'll sit unused. And I don't think they've ever used it, either.

I think that if they'd been able to find the right building, each wife could have had her own space. Of course, since Kody has no balls, they would still each have had their own kitchens. Whereas, if it were me, I'd have taken control and put an end to that idea. The other problem I can see with my housing idea is that each wife would probably have ended up on a separate floor. So, there would have been some inherent pecking order issues there. Alternatively, all the master bedrooms could be on the same floor.

I think you're right about him courting wife #5 if TLC gives them any inkling that their show might be canceled. I just think the show was much more interesting when they all lived in the same house and the adults actually had outside interests (including jobs). Now, they're all boring because nobody works outside the home and you see only small slices of their lives at a time.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

You're almost certainly right about that. Here's something I don't understand, that I've brought up with my wife several times, and that I don't think I've brought up on these forums yet: Instead of building four separate, cookie-cutter, ugly ass McMansions, why didn't the Browns buy an abandoned multi-story warehouse/factory? There are some cool things you can do with those and it would have let them all live together under one roof again. Plus, it would have given them plenty of room for play space for all their kids, and it would have kept costs under control somewhat since they wouldn't need 4 kitchens, 4 garages, 4 laundry rooms, and all the appliances and amenities that go with that. Sure, they would still have needed at least two refrigerators, but they could have opted for one much larger refrigerator and freezer like what the rich people do. Instead of having four cable bills (because you know they're not sacrificing that), they'd have one. And living in a former warehouse/factory would put them somewhat centrally located, which makes commuting, shopping, and just going out for a night much easier. I've seen this kind of stuff done on other shows and the results are really impressive.

All they would have to do is call it a multi family building.

There were HUGE mansions for sale in Las Vegas about the time the Browns moved there.  Plenty of room for everyone under one roof, similar to their set-up in Utah.  (They would have had to modify it for additional kitchens, though, because it is spousal abuse to force two women to share a kitchen, according to Kody.)  These people are not a family.  They are one man, one wife, and three equally stupid women who follow a "religion" which has guidelines that fluctuate based on what the "leader" wants them to be.

• Love 12
28 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

I think you're right about him courting wife #5 if TLC gives them any inkling that their show might be canceled. I just think the show was much more interesting when they all lived in the same house and the adults actually had outside interests (including jobs). Now, they're all boring because nobody works outside the home and you see only small slices of their lives at a time.

And this is exactly why I started watching the show in the first place.  I knew nothing about polygamy.  I thought that these women could all be my next-door neighbors, or another mom I'd see at school pick-up (in other words, not the long-skirted, bun-wearing polygamists I thought of).  I actually used to admire the way they would layer their clothes for modesty purposes - they wore some really cute things!  I wanted to see how a family this large would work things out, and I thought, heck - who wouldn't want a sister-wife to help with the kids, the chores, etc.?  It sounded interesting.

But then, the Browns started showing their true selves.  They didn't get along, as we were shown in the beginning.  The rushed move to LV was suspect.  Suddenly, none of them had real jobs.  The wives all started gaining significant weight.  The "rules" that they showed us in the beginning all became bendable, depending on if Kody or the wives felt like enforcing them...holding church on Sunday, modesty rules, etc.  They are all deeply unhappy, and yet they simply will not talk about it.  Because polygamy is great.  And yet, with each passing season, they are blatantly showing us how emotionally wrecked they've all become.

I think I still watch to see when, if ever, the truth will all come out, even though I'm pretty sure I'm waiting in vain.

• Love 7

@laurakaye That's why my wife and I started watching, too. It did sound interesting, especially the whole "help with the kids, chores, etc" part of it. After the move to Las Vegas, my wife and I kept expecting them to implode due to lack of money. We were appalled by their lack of business sense and even general intelligence (at times). It's funny (in an ironic way, not a humorous way) to see how hard they all work to try to convince themselves and everyone watching at home that they're happy, when it is very clear they are not. I'm amazed they still think they're fooling anyone. You're right that they are all deeply unhappy. What makes it all the sadder (and I do genuinely feel for them at times) is that, by turns, they lack either the ability or the willingness to do the introspection required to make meaningful changes. And by that I don't mean to say that they would come to the realization that Kody should pick one and the rest go their separate ways. Maybe that's what needs to happen, but I genuinely think that if they could and would take a look inward, then they would be able to find things they could do to make their current situation not only simply more tenable but actually enjoyable and successful. It seems to me that with all those people and relationships in play that it would require an even greater amount of mindfulness, attention, and care for the other people in your family than is required in a normal, monogamous family. (Which is not to say that great amounts of those things aren't normally required, because I think they are - and I think most people don't put in as much as they should to have really good familial relationships.)

Another problem that I think they have is that it seems like each wife feels like the only relationship they really have to care for is their relationship with Kody. Personally, I would think that would probably be the least important relationship of all the marital-level relationships in a polygamous family. I would think that the wives' relationships with each other are more important than the wives' relationships with the husband. And it seems like the Brown wives think they don't need to have good relationships with each other. Occasionally, they pay some lip service to this (like Robyn and Christine are right now), but it changes with wind just like high school girls change BFFs and frenemies.

And with each passing season of this show, it becomes ever more glaringly obvious that polygamy really does not work. To me, they're really highlighting the fact that human psychology is far and away better suited to monogamy than to any plural arrangement (polygamy, bigamy, polyamory, etc). I think people really have a need to be important and special to one other person and I don't think our psychological make-up is able to cope with having to share the one person that is really important and special to you.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

There were HUGE mansions for sale in Las Vegas about the time the Browns moved there.  Plenty of room for everyone under one roof, similar to their set-up in Utah.  (They would have had to modify it for additional kitchens, though, because it is spousal abuse to force two women to share a kitchen, according to Kody.)  These people are not a family.  They are one man, one wife, and three equally stupid women who follow a "religion" which has guidelines that fluctuate based on what the "leader" wants them to be.

I wonder how much say the Browns had in those houses.  Clearly TLC paid for them and probably got a good deal buying 4.  A mansion would have to be extremely large to house 21 (?) people AND 3 extra kitchens.  That would be a huge cost for remodeling, too.   Almost every time money drives the train for networks and resale value had to be considered.  Who would want to buy a mansion that had been custom fit for this group.  gah

This is such a stupid show. 

• Love 1

I agree that in many ways a mansion would have required some compromises . . . and the Browns are not big on that.  If they are all one big happy family, couldn't the kids have shared rooms (regardless of the birth mother)?  And those women should have worked out a kitchen compromise.  But again - that word is not in their vocabulary.

Not sure if you were watching the show back then . . . but this cul-de-sac was an empty lot.  In the opinion of many, the builder financed the building of the houses, and they are on interest-only loans.  Kody is listed as a co-owner on Meri's and Robyn's houses only.  Once the loans expire and they have to start paying on the principals as well, the poop will hit the fan.  Stand back!!!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

And with each passing season of this show, it becomes every more glaringly obvious that polygamy really does not work. To me, they're really highlighting the fact that human psychology is far and away better suited to monogamy than to any plural arrangement (polygamy, bigamy, polyamory, etc). I think people really have a need to be important and special to one other person and I don't think our psychological make-up is able to cope with having to share the one person that is really important and special to you.

I agree with your entire post, especially this.   It does not work.  They are all unhappy.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

I agree that in many ways a mansion would have required some compromises . . . and the Browns are not big on that.  If they are all one big happy family, couldn't the kids have shared rooms (regardless of the birth mother)?  And those women should have worked out a kitchen compromise.  But again - that word is not in their vocabulary.

Not sure if you were watching the show back then . . . but this cul-de-sac was an empty lot.  In the opinion of many, the builder financed the building of the houses, and they are on interest-only loans.  Kody is listed as a co-owner on Meri's and Robyn's houses only.  Once the loans expire and they have to start paying on the principals as well, the poop will hit the fan.  Stand back!!!

I vaguely remember that, not that you mention it.  What a mess this is going to be!

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I do remember that the cul-de-sac was an empty lot. My wife and I wondered why they didn't seem to try to build a house similar to the Levi house, rather than four expensive, massive houses. I suppose it comes down to resaleability. It's just so inefficient for Meri to have this massive house (that they never use for family gatherings like they said they were going to) when it's just her and sometimes Mariah. I know there's supposed to be some "fairness" in the distribution of resources and such, but apparently they've forgotten "from each according to their ability, to each according to their need" - and Meri doesn't need such a big house. At the same time, I can understand her desire to have the ability to host the entire family, but to my mind that goes as another reason why they should have found a way to house everyone under one roof - either by building a house that accommodated it or by finding a structure that could be remodeled into housing.

And one thing I've never understood: Why Las Vegas? It's almost like they threw a dart at a map and chose the largest city closest to the impact point. Granted, I'm not a city person. I work in Minneapolis and live in Red Wing and even Red Wing (at 16k people) is larger than I would like. But Las Vegas just does not excite me. And they're from Lehi, Utah which is only 47k people. So, if you're not going to live in the downtown area of a large city, then why not choose somewhere that's about that size and within easy driving distance of a large city?

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

I do remember that the cul-de-sac was an empty lot. My wife and I wondered why they didn't seem to try to build a house similar to the Levi house, rather than four expensive, massive houses. I suppose it comes down to resaleability. It's just so inefficient for Meri to have this massive house (that they never use for family gatherings like they said they were going to) when it's just her and sometimes Mariah. I know there's supposed to be some "fairness" in the distribution of resources and such, but apparently they've forgotten "from each according to their ability, to each according to their need" - and Meri doesn't need such a big house. At the same time, I can understand her desire to have the ability to host the entire family, but to my mind that goes as another reason why they should have found a way to house everyone under one roof - either by building a house that accommodated it or by finding a structure that could be remodeled into housing.

And one thing I've never understood: Why Las Vegas? It's almost like they threw a dart at a map and chose the largest city closest to the impact point. Granted, I'm not a city person. I work in Minneapolis and live in Red Wing and even Red Wing (at 16k people) is larger than I would like. But Las Vegas just does not excite me. And they're from Lehi, Utah which is only 47k people. So, if you're not going to live in the downtown area of a large city, then why not choose somewhere that's about that size and within easy driving distance of a large city?

Not a fan of Las Vegas. I can't wait to get out and don't know why Kody ever wanted to live here. The mix of tourists and locals on the roads makes for wicked traffic snarls and this place never slows down. Ever. So over it. Also, I miss SEASONS. 

I would rather live near Red Wing (I know the area well). You're so lucky, it's so pretty there. As soon as work ops open up somewhere where there's trees, I'm outta here.

Edited by Runnergirl
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Robyn has said that "Kody has always wanted to live in Las Vegas."

Oh. Well, in that case.... maybe they should still have looked around more. I mean, I've always thought it would be cool to live in an apt or condo in a tall building in the downtown of a large city, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

• Love 2

@Runnergirl Yeah, it's a very pretty area. Right now, I usually drive up to Cottage Grove and catch the bus into Minneapolis. I reserve driving all the way to work for the days when I need to get home early and for Fridays during non-winter seasons. We looked at living in the Cities, but the crime is so high here. Since I'm the one with an income, then it's my responsibility to make sure we're living in a place that is safe for her to be during the day when she's running errands and keeping the house going. Home invasions (even during daylight hours!) in the Cities and Rochester are on the rise. And the Cities have a very serious gang problem, which leads into lots of gunshot incidents. So, I chose to have a long commute (75 to 90 minutes) rather than live in a place where I couldn't be certain she'd be safe (even though I could have gotten my commute down to 20 or 30 minutes by doing so).

Anyway, we like sitting down by the river on summer evenings. It's neat to watch the steamboats dock and the sun go down. Sometimes take the dog for a walk around downtown while we play Pokemon Go. Hope you're able to get back here soon!

I think the only reason they didn't end up in the other houses they were looking at, or a converted apartment complex/hotel is because their credit history is in the toilet with all their bankruptcies and lack of work history. All the credit clean-up gymnastics we saw was just for the show. The home contractor of their current houses allegedly allowed them to take interest-only loans for 4-5 years. At the end of that time, they are supposed to get conventional financing. If they can't, he gets the homes back. That is why they are all built differently; that way it is easier for him to sell resell them since they are all at the end of one cuddle-sac.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

I think the only reason they didn't end up in the other houses they were looking at, or a converted apartment complex/hotel is because their credit history is in the toilet with all their bankruptcies and lack of work history. All the credit clean-up gymnastics we saw was just for the show. The home contractor of their current houses allegedly allowed them to take interest-only loans for 4-5 years. At the end of that time, they are supposed to get conventional financing. If they can't, he gets the homes back. That is why they are all built differently; that way it is easier for him to sell resell them since they are all at the end of one cuddle-sac.

Ohhhhh, OK. Thanks for explaining that. I didn't understand the "interest-only loans" before. Wow. They are really going to be hip-deep in the sheep dip in just a couple of years, aren't they?

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Oh. Well, in that case.... maybe they should still have looked around more. I mean, I've always thought it would be cool to live in an apt or condo in a tall building in the downtown of a large city, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

That is a little fantasy of mine, too.  Living in a condo with a balcony over looking a city appeals to me.  

• Love 2

Meri didn't even want to sit at that freaking wet bar for her conversation with Robyn and Kody in a recent episode. She wasn't comfortable. That damn wet bar also made her hearing very poor, because she didn't listen to a bit of advice she was given. Even though it was from Robyn, it was not bad advice. Fast forward to their vacation, she did everything opposite in her conversation with Mariah. Me, me, I, I. Whatever.

• Love 4