Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: I'm Not Ready!

They all seem so warm and gentle and loving and happy that watching them feels very meditative.

Sure. Y'all must have some different nuns in the US. One feels less meditative after working with and for them for over a decade.

• Love 1

There we go. All the respect in the world for your relative, shoregirl, but if Arjumand has nun snark, PLEASE come sit here on the couch next to me! I love it when they turn out to be real people.

It's like when there used to be an umbrella category called "Seniors" but now that I'm closing in, obviously it's the same set of jerks and nerds and wry smartasses as always and I'm mad people don't recognize that. : )

• Love 2

I love snark as much as the next gal, I hope they don't make a mockery of the Sisters. I cannot imagine that they have the blessing of the Church to film this unless they come out looking good, The novices seem snarkworthy though." Jesus was flirting with me?!? " Really!

I worked with Sisters in a home for the mentally handicapped. They worked hard and took excellent care of the residents. There was also a work shop for handicapped adults from other group homes and people that lived at home to spend the day in different therapies. I am proud to say our residents seemed the best taken care of.

I do have lots of funny stories.

Claire reminds me a lot of a friend of mine who entered a convent a few years ago. Very religious, very into Jesus, single, celibate, so happy to be taking this step. She lasted two months.

Edited by TomGirl

I am seriously worried about the one who is having dreams about Jesus flirting with her.

Francesca is terrified of being there, in fact, they all see kind of scared. I don't get it, didn't they all want to be there? What are they afraid of?

They spent so much time showing their reactions to taking off their make up, then one minute later they were mass with full faces on. What gives, show?

I noticed that too, especially Eseni, her lipstick is bright. In all their THs they had their makeup on. 

Christ-i-e?  Cray-zee.  WTF.  Having full on boyfriend fantasies about Jesus just can't be normal among nun-wannabes.  Can it?

I put my comments about Eseni in her thread already.  

Claire is clearly the most realistic and most prepared.  If anyone has a real shot at becoming a nun, it's her.  

Claire reminds me a lot of a friend of mine who entered a convent a few years ago. Very religious, very into Jesus, single, celibate, so happy to be taking this step. She lasted two months.

It would be very interesting if this was the case with Claire.  I really can't fault your friend.  Being a nun - for one's entire life - is asking a tremendous amount for anyone.  

I can't remember the former actress' name, but I think she along with Claire have the best chances of seeing their ways through to taking their vows.  

Edited by RealityCreator

Francesca is terrified of being there, in fact, they all see kind of scared. I don't get it, didn't they all want to be there? What are they afraid of?

I thought the same thing!  It was more like they were being sent to reform school than something they had personally decided to pursue.

Francesca's meltdown was astounding to me.  On one hand, I completely get it!!  Yes, being without make-up could be construed as just as distracting if you are then overly self-conscious and feeling like crap.  That being said, these girls are shocked by this fact?  And that they can't have mile long stripper nails, wear cute outfits and carry their cell phones?  I'm not even Catholic and would have figured that out.  Some nuns don't shave!  Come on girls!  This is your chosen life and you didn't bother to do a little research into what said life actually involves?

It will be a tad hard to snark on the girls because how can you criticize someone who is considering going into a life of service?  That being said, Claire needs a good does of humility.  She already considers herself Mother Superior in comparison to the others.  Yes, Christie was a bit nutso in some of her confessions, however, who is Claire to issue the judgment that Christie wasn't having true visions and was only deep in prayer?  And that Eseni probably hadn't been exposed to such an intense Mass before.  How do you know that, Claire?  While she does in fact seem the most prepared and probably the one most likely to be successful, her arrogance was off-putting.   

Oh, Eseni.  What a doll.  But she never said one word about serving God or others in describing her desire to be a nun.  It was all totally about not having to deal with drama.  A case of "running away" if there's ever been one. 

Stacy, the actress, is so far my absolute favorite.  I thought it was very eerie when she was describing reading about the actress who was a co-star of Elvis who became a nun and they showed her picture.....did anyone else think it looked exactly like Stacy???  Yikes!

Francesca's meltdown was astounding to me.  On one hand, I completely get it!!  Yes, being without make-up could be construed as just as distracting if you are then overly self-conscious and feeling like crap.  That being said, these girls are shocked by this fact?  And that they can't have mile long stripper nails, wear cute outfits and carry their cell phones?  I'm not even Catholic and would have figured that out.  Some nuns don't shave!  Come on girls!  This is your chosen life and you didn't bother to do a little research into what said life actually involves?

This is exactly why I don't understand why they all seemed afraid (especially Francesca). I wonder if any of these girls really want to be a nun, or if the producers found some girls who would be willing to go live with nuns for 6 weeks in order to be on TV. They just seem way too unprepared for it, it doesn't make sense.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 1

I really don't like Christie. I haven't even finished the episode yet, (I turned it when she was talking about how Jesus was flirting with her) but I can already tell there's something off with her. I'm surprised they allowed that on the show. It came off a bit sacrilegious. Does anyone know her Twitter account or something? I would like to see if she posts anything weird

I'm trying realllllly hard to put myself back in my 17-year-old Catholic high school girl self to see if I can understand their freakouts about doing this and...nope, it's not working. Makeup, nails, cell phones...are you KIDDING me? Yeah, you've got to be kidding me...with the possible exception of Claire I don't see any of these girls making it through the novitiate, never mind taking actual vows. Eseni's running away from life, Stacey is looking for her big acting break, Christie has an unhealthy obsession with Jesus, and Francesca's too immature.

Surely I have better things to do with my time. Who am I kidding...I'll be back next week. *sigh*

Edited by ExMathMajor
  • Love 4

I hope, hope, hope this isn't a reality-show-driven set up! I am an atheist, but I have total respect for nuns. I love that they are committed to the life and that they are the ones helping the elderly and the infirm while the priests spout their nonsense and often behave inappropriately.

• Love 2

It will be interesting to see where this show goes. One of my mother's cousins was an ex-nun who abruptly up and quit after 33 years in the convent and never told the family why.

In order of likelihood of actually sticking it out, I would rank them as Claire being most likely, then Stacey, Eseni, Christie, and Francesca. I believe Claire will continue, and I'm giving Stacey about 40% odds of going on, with the others not continuing at all. In Christie's case it could be that she's not allowed to by the nuns themselves. She's coming across as unbalanced, and I believe these orders have ways of screening for that. 

• Love 1

Stacy, the actress, is so far my absolute favorite.  I thought it was very eerie when she was describing reading about the actress who was a co-star of Elvis who became a nun and they showed her picture.....did anyone else think it looked exactly like Stacy???  Yikes!

I missed that part (I hopped into the shower in the middle of the episode).  They must be referring to Dolores Hart, who worked with Elvis and is perhaps best-known for her lead in Where the Boys Are.  Dolores Hart, BTW, was engaged (and not to Christ!) when she took vows.

Eseni is gorgeous but she's using (or is edited to look that way) the convent life as a form of escape.  You're supposed to be called TO a vocation, not driven away from something else.

• Love 1

I agree about Christ-i-e.  Something is seriously off with that girl.  She reminds me of the crazy teacher across the hall from Cameron Diaz in Bad Teacher.  We've all heard the phrase "married to God" but that chick takes it way too literally.  When she was talking about Jesus waiting on her at the end of the aisle I took it to mean he was waiting to welcome her to the flock, not to introduce her as his bride - that was so creepy when she said that.  She was always borderline sexualizing her relationship with Him.

Francesca dear, if you can't handle taking off your makeup while in a convent, you might as well call dad and have him turn the car around before he gets back to Jersey.  You are no where near ready to make a decision like this.

I really didn't see Claire as judgmental, just more pragmatic and serious.  She's paying close attention to her surroundings and I think that is going to serve her well when it comes to making a decision.    

I don't think Eseni needs a convent, I think she needs a therapist to work through the anger and distrust caused by her father.

All in all I find them likable and want to see their growth through these 6 weeks.  Except maybe Christ-i-e, I really think she just needs some meds.

• Love 1

Oh, I loved Dolores Hart--so glad she found happiness.

I've always been fascinated by women who took vows.  And every first person account I've read has said, "I felt sad to be leaving my family/dog/friends behind forever, but mostly I felt deep peace and joy to finally be starting my vocation."

So I feel a bit cynical about our group.  Why would you even agree to have such a profoundly personal experience be filmed for a reality tv show in the first place?  And whose first reaction at seeing the convent was "Oh My God!"  I bet there aren't many nuns or postulants tossing out OMG's.  (Call me Judgy Candall now.)

This looks suspiciously like Fox's big stinkbomb, Utopia, i.e. the producers didn't have enough (faith!) confidence in their original premise to believe viewers would find genuine participants interesting, so they loaded the dice with reality show wannabes to guarantee some draaama. 

• Love 1

Oops, more.  I hadn't even seen Francesca arrive.  Ha!  "The only thing I know about nuns is . . . ."

Yeah, there must have been a casting call.  "Think you have what it takes to spend six weeks in a convent?  Develop your reality show persona and receive a reel with footage that will catch the attention of Survivor and Big Brother!"

Eseni sees herself in the troublemaker role, standing there in her uniform, holding her $800 Louis Vuitton (blurred, LOL) and questioning the cell phone rules.  Overwhelmed at the first mass, bless her heart.  Snort.

So, okay, then.  Got it.   Moving forward!

"So I feel a bit cynical about our group. Why would you even agree to have such a profoundly personal experience be filmed for a reality tv show in the first place? And whose first reaction at seeing the convent was "Oh My God!" I bet there aren't many nuns or postulants tossing out OMG's. (Call me Judgy Candall now.)

"This looks suspiciously like Fox's big stinkbomb, Utopia, i.e. the producers didn't have enough (faith!) confidence in their original premise to believe viewers would find genuine participants interesting, so they loaded the dice with reality show wannabes to guarantee some drama."

I agree, Candall. For one thing, the behavior of the nuns is far too tentative and apologetic to be real. If cell phones and makeup are not allowed, just say so and make it happen. The nuns act like they know these are just actors/visitors and they don't want to come off sounding too authoritative.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there's a twist or two planned, such as preachy Claire dropping out and one of the other less obvious ones finding a niche.

Add me to those who question why the convents would allow this. I do know that there's been a steep decline in candidates for religious life. Maybe the convents felt this was a good opportunity to showcase what they have to offer and reach a wider audience. Good luck with that!

Edited by TomGirl

Good call on the nuns' behavior.  Any "real" set of postulants would simply be informed of how things were going to work, not finessed with gentle persuasion, right? 

Could it be possible some orders really do have a pre-postulant level where you can just sign up, drop by and test drive devoting your life to Christ?  Even then, though, it still seems odd they were all so unprepared for what to expect--those mountains of luggage were hilarious!

Yes, there's a pre-novice, pre-postulant stage when women first enter. They are called candidates at that stage, and that period may last as long as a year or two. Some orders let women come and stay for a week or so before electing to enter as a candidate. Some call this a "come and see" week.

• Love 1

Aren't they going to 6 different orders over the 6 weeks?  They're only there for a week, so it's basically a retreat.  No point in coming off nasty on national television to a handful of chicks who are going away in 6 days, so they're putting their best foot forward.  Can't blame them for that.

Some of the nuns are seriously funny (which has been my limited experience with nuns).  The one who said her order looks so young and beautiful because they really know how to take care of themselves "no, don't use that!" cracked me up.  

• Love 2

Aren't they going to 6 different orders over the 6 weeks?  They're only there for a week, so it's basically a retreat.  

That's the way it struck me. Sort of a cross between a retreat and a tour of campuses. I don't think that's even remotely realistic. I think both Claire and Stacey mentioned having gone on retreats, which I would have expected among all of these young women.

I certainly wasn't faulting the nuns for how they are coming across, just noting that it supports the idea that this isn't reality. I think the women will be going to three convents, not six. Still not much time at each.

Let me comment first off that I went to several years of Catholic school and of course, dealing with nuns. Not every school year did I have a nun for a teacher, but the school was filled with them in many capacities from teachers to the principal.

Someone here mentioned something about U.S. nuns and how they may differ. Not sure what the actual comment was, but allow me to vent and say that I have come across some nuns who were not very nice. It made me question why were they nuns to begin with. I recall when I was 8 years old, the teacher (nun) in my class caused me to cry. She could be very mean and at other times, very kind and gentle.  Another day, she was behaving bully-like. She asked a male classmate who was hurt about something, "Are you a man or a mouse?" The boy remained quiet as the nun asked the question over and over until he responded.

Years later, I had to deal with a nun who was rude to the children in my child's class. When she would get upset at them, she would yell at the top of her lungs. She had moments where she would also pinch the children. That is, until us parents stepped up and demanded this nun be removed. She was removed, but what that meant was, she was put in another school, far, far away.

My older siblings and other family members have told me horror stories of nuns. Nuns, along with other teachers, were allowed to spank, hit, paddle, just be bullies to children. It makes me cringe just knowing what children had to endure back in the days.

Not sure if there was some belief that nuns are kinder or more gentler here in the states, but just wanted to put that myth to rest. I am also aware that not all nuns are wolves in sheep's clothing. It is true though that there are always bad apples in every bunch.

As for this show, I am on the spectrum that somehow these girls are going by some kind of script. Not so much a written script, but being told to ante-up the drama. My feeling, and I could be wrong about this, has been that when a young girl decides to enter into the convent, they at least have the general idea of what is going to be asked of them and what they are having to give up with regards to material possessions.

I did enjoy the humor a few of the nuns showed. I can give the show a thumbs up for that.

Edited by SPLAIN
  • Love 1

I went to a Catholic High School, though I'm not Catholic.  My dad was a teacher there, and they let the children of the lay instructors in.  We had some awesome, funny & engaging nuns.  My fave was Sr. Margaret.  She was a tough Benedictine nun, but I really admired her.  She traveled to Europe almost every year with her widowed mother and had amazing stories.  

Women that are beginning to discern usually visit several convents to learn about the orders.  They can usually do a "live-in" for a couple of weeks to really experience it.  Convents are surprisingly open to women serious about interpreting their call.  I'm not surprised they allowed a camera crew for the show.  And I guarantee It's going to showcase the Catholic church in a VERY positive light.  

I liked the show, and will definitely tune in to see what's in store for our girls.  

Ah, Delores Hart. Showing my age here, but when i was a tween I ADORED watching black and white reruns of the movie "Where the Boys Are," which she starred in before joining the nunnery. Also loved "Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows," "The Nun's Story," with Audrey Hepburn, etc.

I hope this show will be genuine, too. Had a major fascination with nuns growing up, although not Catholic. Went to the Red Mass here in Washington, D.C. a couple of months ago, and was mesmerized by the cantor's beautiful singing. Will go back to hear her again.

• Love 1

Me, too! As I noted on the nudist real estate thread, it's fascinating to see how various communities function, especially when there's no overlap with my own life. Live and learn, y'know.

Yes! I was trying to explain to my mom why I was going to watch this show. It's fascinating to me to learn about different subcultures of people. (My mom refuses to watch because of memories of mean nuns growing up.)

It was a good episode. I loved that the nuns showed a sense of humor.  

I went to a Catholic High School, though I'm not Catholic.  My dad was a teacher there, and they let the children of the lay instructors in.  We had some awesome, funny & engaging nuns.  My fave was Sr. Margaret.  She was a tough Benedictine nun, but I really admired her.  She traveled to Europe almost every year with her widowed mother and had amazing stories.  

I went to 12 years of Catholic school and we had lots of students who were not Catholic (even a teacher who was Jewish) and it always inspired me to learn more about other religions/beliefs, etc. I was always jealous of the non-Catholic kids in HS because since they were not required to take religion classes, they had an extra elective to use!

I was a little shocked at the families they showed when introducing each girl. My family is Catholic (I am a Recovering Catholic - I gave it up when I turned 18 after HS graduation) but we don't sing hymns together in our back yards. It seems like some of these girls come from really strict Catholic families. 

• Love 1

I was always jealous of the non-Catholic kids in HS because since they were not required to take religion classes, they had an extra elective to use!

In my school, we actually had to take religion classes alongside the Catholic kids.  But It was very cool because Freshman year was the first 5 books of the bible in a historical perspective, Sophmore year was the philosopy of religion, Junior year was World religions and Senior year was Relationships & family life.  I remember a lot from those years.  We also had to attend mass in the gym with everybody else.  I have to say I enjoyed it all and learned a lot about the religion.

If it weren't for the whole poverty, chastity and obedience thing, I'd be one!  *LOL*

Edited by leighdear

Ah, Dolores Hart. Showing my age here, but when i was a tween I ADORED watching black and white reruns of the movie "Where the Boys Are," which she starred in before joining the nunnery. Also loved "Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows," "The Nun's Story," with Audrey Hepburn, etc.

Wait, what?  Black and white?  Where the Boys Are came out in 1960, it's a color film.  (And how! Love those beachside scenes, cheesey as they are :)  And that gorgeous footage of Ryder and Merritt, floating down the Intracoastal Waterway on Ryder's grandfather's yacht, all those beautiful palm trees in the background...

• Love 1

Let me comment first off that I went to several years of Catholic school and of course, dealing with nuns. Not every school year did I have a nun for a teacher, but the school was filled with them in many capacities from teachers to the principal.

Someone here mentioned something about U.S. nuns and how they may differ. Not sure what the actual comment was, but allow me to vent and say that I have come across some nuns who were not very nice. It made me question why were they nuns to begin with. I recall when I was 8 years old, the teacher (nun) in my class caused me to cry. She could be very mean and at other times, very kind and gentle. Another day, she was behaving bully-like. She asked a male classmate who was hurt about something, "Are you a man or a mouse?" The boy remained quiet as the nun asked the question over and over until he responded.

Years later, I had to deal with a nun who was rude to the children in my child's class. When she would get upset at them, she would yell at the top of her lungs. She had moments where she would also pinch the children. That is, until us parents stepped up and demanded this nun be removed. She was removed, but what that meant was, she was put in another school, far, far away.

My older siblings and other family members have told me horror stories of nuns. Nuns, along with other teachers, were allowed to spank, hit, paddle, just be bullies to children. It makes me cringe just knowing what children had to endure back in the days.

Not sure if there was some belief that nuns are kinder or more gentler here in the states, but just wanted to put that myth to rest. I am also aware that not all nuns are wolves in sheep's clothing. It is true though that there are always bad apples in every bunch.

As for this show, I am on the spectrum that somehow these girls are going by some kind of script. Not so much a written script, but being told to ante-up the drama. My feeling, and I could be wrong about this, has been that when a young girl decides to enter into the convent, they at least have the general idea of what is going to be asked of them and what they are having to give up with regards to material possessions.

I did enjoy the humor a few of the nuns showed. I can give the show a thumbs up for that.

I completely agree. I attended one Catholic school for elementary and junior high and two different Catholic high schools. The nuns were mean, awful people and I wondered at the time why they became nuns when they were so mean and hateful.

Years later I worked for a lady who was a former nun and had actually been the principal of one of the high schools I attended. She ended up leaving the convent because she wanted to marry and have children. I asked her why she became a nun and she said that she thought it was a good way to be able to attend college. Um, ok.

I can imagine that having made a wrong decision but not being willing/emotionally capable of leaving would result in the kind of bitterness that so many describe in nuns they have known.  Hopefully the women in orders today are there because they truly want to be, and therefore more fulfilled.

Some of the nuns are seriously funny (which has been my limited experience with nuns).  The one who said her order looks so young and beautiful because they really know how to take care of themselves "no, don't use that!" cracked me up.  

I thought they were all hysterical.  Especially the one who said that it can be difficult to live with a group of women, and she's surprised there hasn't been a murder.

At least two of these girls had very expensive designer purses.  And two of them came in mini-skirts.

"Handsome surfer dude Jesus?"

I agree with you, littledog. By the way, "In This House of Brede" by Rumer Godden is my favorite book of all time. I have to confess (no pun intended) that I have read it at least 20 times. If you liked the Diana Rigg movie, you will LOVE the book, which is way better than the movie. The characters are unforgettable and totally real.

• Love 1

TomGirl, In This House of Brede is my favorite novel, and I've read it at least 20 times myself. I feel like we need to have a conversation about it immediately. (Is the best part when Dame Perpetua tells off Dame Veronica, or when Abbess Catherine is elected, or basically anything involving Sister Hillary? I'm not sure!) Also I recommend it to anyone interested in this show.

Christ-i-e?  Cray-zee.  WTF.  Having full on boyfriend fantasies about Jesus just can't be normal among nun-wannabes.  Can it?

I put my comments about Eseni in her thread already.  

Claire is clearly the most realistic and most prepared.  If anyone has a real shot at becoming a nun, it's her.  

It would be very interesting if this was the case with Claire.  I really can't fault your friend.  Being a nun - for one's entire life - is asking a tremendous amount for anyone.  

I can't remember the former actress' name, but I think she along with Claire have the best chances of seeing their ways through to taking their vows.  

That actress was Dolores Hart (starred in 2 Elvis movies among other things).  She is now the Mother Superior at her convent.  Bill O'Reilly recently interviewed her.  She was cute---wore a black beret over her other head wear.  (I think it's called a wimple?)

Wowwwwww, I just discovered this show and I'm fascinated!  Catching up on all the episodes now.  

I felt that was strange, too.  Why would they all be surprised and upset that they can't be on their phones to their boyfriends, wear makeup and neon talons?  I mean, even a weekend-long retreat you unplug and focus on the task at hand, much less something designed to see if your'e cut out for religious life!  And their shock at the rooms and uniforms (which were both perfectly reasonable and not severe at all, I thought)!  What did they expect?!

I couldn't believe what they showed up wearing- a bodysuit/jumper outfit designed to show off her assets, someone in a mini skirt, tight and mismatched shorts and polo shirt.  Geez.  Even if you aren't 100% into wearing a habit yet, you'd think they'd at least dress respectfully, whatever that entails for them personally!

Yeah and the makeup thing...it was obviously manufactured drama as they were all wearing makeup immediately after.  I hate stuff like that!  If it's going to be fake and manufactured, at least TRY to make it look realistic to us viewers!

I agree, Candall. For one thing, the behavior of the nuns is far too tentative and apologetic to be real. If cell phones and makeup are not allowed, just say so and make it happen. The nuns act like they know these are just actors/visitors and they don't want to come off sounding too authoritative.

Add me to those who question why the convents would allow this. I do know that there's been a steep decline in candidates for religious life. Maybe the convents felt this was a good opportunity to showcase what they have to offer and reach a wider audience. Good luck with that!

Yes, and you'd think, as with any type of retreat or field trip, they give you a list of requirements ahead of time, what to bring and not to bring.  So none of that should have been a surprise!  And in a later episode, it looks like a different nun used the same box to keep the cell phones in so I think it was a production ploy.

I also don't blame the nuns for wanting to get a little more exposure for their orders, if it can be done in a positive way.   I notice there are pretty much no younger nuns or even middle aged ones shown so far.  I wonder what that would be like for a younger woman entering an order- if it is hard to only be with older women and if that is a big deterrent.

I found it strange that Eseni was looking into being a nun because of her trust issues due to her father's infidelity and being attacked by the photographer.  That seems like an extreme response, and I doubt if religious life is the solution.  That will not resolve the issues....

• Love 1