Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

On 7/17/2023 at 7:14 PM, oliviabenson said:

Well I went to the Olive Garden for the first time ever! Thanks Jill and Hunk Rodrigues!

My review: wow it was not that impressive. Why the Rods love the Olive Garden? 

CD33F081-A8E7-4E1C-8B97-CE3108C5AD24.jpeg

7EF0F761-9871-4FDA-8B13-E565DE9D4DF1.jpeg

E507D49A-9045-43BB-A1AD-81318D13CBE7.jpeg

CE1E9CE4-CA18-4A97-8A5A-2103FF6C2A27.jpeg

Gee, those look unappetizing.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I've had some pretty good food at Olive Gardens. But I'm not a foodie or gourmet, so there's that. (My least favorite kinds of social encounters involve making polite conversation with someone who is raving about some meal they ate somewhere, item by item, in detail. I do my best to be pleasantly engaged, often while mentally telling my late parents, I hope you appreciate this display of the good manners and courtesy you tried to instill in me.)

I like their salad a lot. I almost always go there with a big family group for a birthday, or out of state relatives visiting. Actually, it's been awhile since I've been there. I may have to visit again one of these days.

• Like 4
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I've had some pretty good food at Olive Gardens. But I'm not a foodie or gourmet, so there's that. (My least favorite kinds of social encounters involve making polite conversation with someone who is raving about some meal they ate somewhere, item by item, in detail. I do my best to be pleasantly engaged, often while mentally telling my late parents, I hope you appreciate this display of the good manners and courtesy you tried to instill in me.)

I like their salad a lot. I almost always go there with a big family group for a birthday, or out of state relatives visiting. Actually, it's been awhile since I've been there. I may have to visit again one of these days.

I’m not a foodie either. I’m fine with anything even McDonald’s lol. I just tried smash burger (chain)  and it’s pretty good. 

Guess I’m easily impressed 🤣.

• Like 7

I tried the Olive Garden near Times Square once.  That was the only time I've tried.  It's not dark inside, I'll give you that.  I just didn't like the food.  Although I like fine dining, I also like middle of the road dining, such as diners and local Chinese and Italian and barbecue places.  But I also like some chain restaurants, including McDonald's, Cheesecake Factory, and Margaritaville.  But Olive Garden doesn't do a great job of making Italian food that you can get better on any block in NYC.  So I couldn't go back there. 

Junior's Cheesecake in Times Square is good. 

• Like 5

So I’m going to complain for a hot minute. 

Often I’m having discussions with people about travel/adventures and they often say “you’re going alone????”
And I think “that’s what “i” means, singular!”

And then there’s a “why are you going alone?” Ummm cause I want to go??!!!!!

And this attempt to convince me to get someone else to tag along. 😒

But I’ve noticed when married people/parents say “I” they mean “me and everyone that lives in my household”. 

It’s an aggravating thing as a single person. And it’s a consistent thing!

Okay I am done. 

• Like 8
  • Hugs 4
  • Applause 9
35 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Often I’m having discussions with people about travel/adventures and they often say “you’re going alone????”

But I’ve noticed when married people/parents say “I” they mean “me and everyone that lives in my household”. 

Okay I am done. 

People can be idiots some times.  I like to do things without Mr lookeyloo and that also gets comments that are idiotic.  

• Like 9
6 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Could you see the Verrazano from there, or is the restaurant too far inland?

Not from the restaurant no. But you can walk across the massive parking lot and sit on a bench that overlooks the ocean/bridge. It’s a nice spot to go when the weather is nice.

Olive Garden is to the left of Best Buy.

87D32421-981C-48DC-BD8A-37E3DA0B1A20.jpeg

4E597DCF-F686-435A-AACA-2B7C7BD2EEF7.jpeg

• Like 5

FYI to anyone who can't eat wheat.  McDonalds fries are no longer gluten free.  A couple of years ago they changed the recipe  and they now coat them in a coating that includes wheat.  I found out the hard way---I ended up at the Urgent Care needing an albuterol treatment.  I know--one would think French Fries, which usually are just fried potato, would be safe to eat.  I feel kind of silly asking wherever I go to eat out, but McD is the only place so far that I have found contaminated fries.

• Mind Blown 6
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 6
4 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

FYI to anyone who can't eat wheat.  McDonalds fries are no longer gluten free.  A couple of years ago they changed the recipe  and they now coat them in a coating that includes wheat.  I found out the hard way---I ended up at the Urgent Care needing an albuterol treatment.  I know--one would think French Fries, which usually are just fried potato, would be safe to eat.  I feel kind of silly asking wherever I go to eat out, but McD is the only place so far that I have found contaminated fries.

Oh my I am so sorry! I am glad you are okay. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Okay I am done. 

Understand. I enjoy hiking...I got a ton of "You CAN'T go by yourself!" when I was single (and if I am going without Mr. Turquoise now).  I have the added protection of being middle-aged and not svelte, so invisible to the majority of the population. LOL. Have done numerous 1-5 mile trails by myself, have never had a problem. 

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I have always traveled alone.  I asked friends, but no one ever wanted to go where I was going.  No one wanted to go to Siberia, and  that was an interesting trip.  I am not sure some people knew where Siberia is, and I know most had never even heard of Latvia (one person thought it is in South America, and one asked me what country it was in).  I'm brave.  I don't mind eating in restaurants alone.  So if friends want to miss out, too bad for them.  I will say that I am glad I did so much traveling in my younger years.  The world was a much safer place.  I am currently looking to find a cruise to Norway and the Northern Lights.  Although I am planning this with friends, if this works out at all I will not be surprised if I go alone.  In my opinion, northern Norway is the most beautiful place on earth.  I have been there during Summer Solstice (fishing at 2AM in full sun was fun), but now I want to go int he fall/winter  in almost no sun.  I shall see.  I hope it works out.

• Like 17
(edited)
2 hours ago, Turquoise said:

Understand. I enjoy hiking...I got a ton of "You CAN'T go by yourself!" when I was single (and if I am going without Mr. Turquoise now).  I have the added protection of being middle-aged and not svelte, so invisible to the majority of the population. LOL. Have done numerous 1-5 mile trails by myself, have never had a problem. 

Mr crazy8s and I are hikers and many times on harder trails or in bad weather we have encountered solo hikers, both young and old, who ask if they could just walk near us for a bit. They didn't want company, conversation or to intrude on our hike. Just looking for someone near enough to feel safe. We always say yes and we have met hikers from all over the world this way. 😀

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 13
(edited)

I've also traveled alone a whole lot, even to places like Disneyworld where most people wouldn't.  Have always had a good time anywhere I went.  I've been all over the US by myself and plan to take a few days to visit a local lakeside resort in a couple weeks by myself.  I may take a dog or two, no people.

I have traveled in Europe many, many times; both as a single traveller on tours and by myself and don't regret it at all.  I've traveled in France, England, Scotland, Greece, Italy and Croatia without accompaniment and would do it again in a heartbeat.  I went to Africa by myself, although I did join a group there to provide medical care in a village.  I knew none of the people I worked with before the trip. I then spent a couple of days on camera safari in the Masai Mara and flew home all by myself.  Not to mention countless trips to Peru and El Salvador where sometimes I traveled with a group and sometimes I traveled on my own and met up with the group after spending time on my own touristing.

I've met wonderful people I never would've gotten to know had I been with someone else.  Got great tips on restaurants and shopping from others.  And, got to be in charge of my entire itinerary.  I have a plan for each day, but am able to change it on a whim if the weather isn't agreeable or if I am tired or I have energy to keep going after the list is complete.  Having someone with me would've probably limited my experiences.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 17
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
32 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I have always traveled alone.  I asked friends, but no one ever wanted to go where I was going.  No one wanted to go to Siberia, and  that was an interesting trip.  I am not sure some people knew where Siberia is, and I know most had never even heard of Latvia (one person thought it is in South America, and one asked me what country it was in).  I'm brave.  I don't mind eating in restaurants alone.  So if friends want to miss out, too bad for them.  I will say that I am glad I did so much traveling in my younger years.  The world was a much safer place.  I am currently looking to find a cruise to Norway and the Northern Lights.  Although I am planning this with friends, if this works out at all I will not be surprised if I go alone.  In my opinion, northern Norway is the most beautiful place on earth.  I have been there during Summer Solstice (fishing at 2AM in full sun was fun), but now I want to go int he fall/winter  in almost no sun.  I shall see.  I hope it works out.

Norway is beautiful.  I was there in 1994 to attend the Winter Olympics.  Didn't get to see much of the northern lights due to weather conditions but it is a beautiful country with  terrific people.  The fact that virtually everyone speaks English as well or better than most Americans is also a plus.  I did the trip with a friend who also loved the Olympics like me.

I want to return in the summer to see the fjords.  I've had the experience of hiking up a Norwegian ski slope in 4 foot high packed snow to watch a ski race-and wandering all over the countryside in 10 below weather trying to find the bus back to the hotel.  I want to see what the actual ground looks like.  A cruise sounds lovely.

I've not been to Siberia but did a river tour between Moscow and St Petersburg.  Wouldn't go back to Russia right now due to political circumstances, but loved it.  Went on that trip with my sister, her 40th birthday gift.

Edited by Notabug
forgot how old my sister was when we went
  • Like 9
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

I feel kind of silly asking wherever I go to eat out, but McD is the only place so far that I have found contaminated fries.

Thanks I need to tell my daughter.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m not a foodie either. I’m fine with anything even McDonald’s lol. I just tried smash burger (chain)  and it’s pretty good. 

Guess I’m easily impressed 🤣.

We just spent the weekend with my DH sibs and cousins. Someone asked what my favorite restaurant is. I said any one that wasn't my kitchen. I'm tired of cooking.

• Like 6
  • LOL 11
1 hour ago, realityfan26 said:

We just spent the weekend with my DH sibs and cousins. Someone asked what my favorite restaurant is. I said any one that wasn't my kitchen. I'm tired of cooking.

I recently moved in with one of my daughters and son-in-law. They both cook, and I clean up. I love it.

• Like 15
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Norway is beautiful.  I was there in 1994 to attend the Winter Olympics.  Didn't get to see much of the northern lights due to weather conditions but it is a beautiful country with  terrific people.  The fact that virtually everyone speaks English as well or better than most Americans is also a plus.  I did the trip with a friend who also loved the Olympics like me.

I want to return in the summer to see the fjords.  I've had the experience of hiking up a Norwegian ski slope in 4 foot high packed snow to watch a ski race-and wandering all over the countryside in 10 below weather trying to find the bus back to the hotel.  I want to see what the actual ground looks like.  A cruise sounds lovely.

I've not been to Siberia but did a river tour between Moscow and St Petersburg.  Wouldn't go back to Russia right now due to political circumstances, but loved it.  Went on that trip with my sister, her 40th birthday gift.

I also took a cruise from St Petersburg and Moscow and I loved it. It is very beautiful. I was by myself but met some great people.  When the cruise was over, I took the Siberian Express though Siberia.  That was a very memorable, once in a lifetime trip.  I would not go to Russia now, but I'm glad I did it then. However, it would have been easy to "disappear" in Siberia where not many people speak English, and my Russian is non existent.  I did learn to recognize the the name of my ship and the word "exit" in Cyrillic, since I couldn't read anything else and I figured those two words were important to know.  Once I was on the train I figured I couldn't get lost, but the airports were a very interesting experience.  Everyone brings their dog on the plane.  Big dogs, little dogs in satchels..dogs everywhere.  I had a seven hour fight from Moscow to the east coast of Russia, but luckily the dogs all seemed to be good travelers.  And no one gets in line to board the plane.  Everyone just rushes in a mob and pushes their way on. (dogs included). You learn a lot when you travel.

• Like 7
  • Useful 3
20 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

that is very sad.  I hope your niece tells her aunt she wasn't privy to that arrangement and is not bound by it.

My niece is finally going to stand up to her. There is no contract or evidence of any agreements, so I agree that she is not bound by sil's expectations. None of us ever stand up to sil, except my husband (she's his sister), but even he avoids drama...usually by avoiding her! We'll see. I'm completely on niece's side. She's had a hard life and is in mourning for her Mom. It's not unexpected behavior by sil. When my mil was dying, she took her jewelry home for safekeeping and none of us ever saw it again. That's her way. She also acts like she's on a higher plane of morality than most people. A narcissist and a hypocrite! If she wasn't an atheist, I'd introduce her to Jill Rodrigues, lol. 

• Like 8
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

If she wasn't an atheist, I'd introduce her to Jill Rodrigues, lol. 

Maybe you should, sounds like they deserve each other. 😉

• Like 12

Something is wrong with my robot vacuum!!! I have a Samsung sr2aj9020u  

It’s making a beeping noise and I can’t figure out why. I took off the pet brush and found a throat lozenge wrapper, but it still beeps and won’t turn. I figured I would ask you guys because it’s 9:15pm and I should probably go to bed and think about it tomorrow. 

I turned off the emergency switch so it could reset, and took a screen shot of these codes. According to the below there is foreign matter caught in the right driving wheel. I double checked both, and found a bit of cosmos hair but it’s still making the noise! I’m leaving it off for the night and really dealing with it tomorrow. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. I love this thing!

IMG_8994.png

I don't have a Samsung, but be sure to check the wheels carefully.  If you can, unscrew the bottom plate so you can clean out anything that is caught in the wheels.  (The whole bottom comes off on the Roomba) Also remove the the brushes and make sure they are not hiding any debris.  Also make sure the sensors are clean.  If you do a search for your model and the problem, someone usually has a fix on line.  Roomba has a great customer service, so I'm guessing that Samsung does, also.  Maybe they can talk you through some trouble shooting.  Sometimes it is as easy as unplugging and replugging.   Good luck

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I fixed the vacuum!!!!!!!! Yay! Thanks for the moral support I was getting worried, I love that thing so much. 

24 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know the best type of coloring pens or pencils for adult coloring books?  

My Mom likes to do the adult coloring books and i have always gotten her supplies on Amazon- Artzea is a good brand. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I fixed the vacuum!!!!!!!! Yay! Thanks for the moral support I was getting worried, I love that thing so much. 

My Mom likes to do the adult coloring books and i have always gotten her supplies on Amazon- Artzea is a good brand. 

I have not tried that brand, but I do like my prismacolor pencils. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know the best type of coloring pens or pencils for adult coloring books?  

I'm a lightweight colourer and just use the cheap Crayolas (often $1 for a pack of ten at Target or Krogers).  I also look out for the "easy" books because I'm impatient, but I do find it calming and satisfying, and a good replacement in the summer, when my hands get too sweaty for my easy peasy scarf knitting.

Edited by Leeds
Quoted stuff I didn't want it to.
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
16 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I turned off the emergency switch so it could reset, and took a screen shot of these codes. According to the below there is foreign matter caught in the right driving wheel. I double checked both, and found a bit of cosmos hair but it’s still making the noise! I’m leaving it off for the night and really dealing with it tomorrow. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. I love this thing!

When I saw who was posting I realized what the bolded meant, but I do love my initial thought that you had found proof of extraterrestrial life.

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 19
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Are they pencils or sharpie type pens?  

Haha. Cosmo is a proper noun- typing on my phone. 

IMG_8972.thumb.jpeg.93c7a65b28814c64ea2ae45a2e268340.jpeg

That’s Cavendish on my lap and the vacuum going around him. 

13 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Are they pencils or sharpie type pens?  

They are markers. 

• Like 5

@SunnyBeBe

Coloring is so individual. I like fine tip Sharpies for straight up coloring, but like colored pencils or 'watercolor' markers if I want to shade things up. Crayola crayons are great, but IMO, too chubby for most adult coloring books. Crayola makes good colored pencils.

If you get pencils don't forget a sharpener. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

@SunnyBeBe

Coloring is so individual. I like fine tip Sharpies for straight up coloring, but like colored pencils or 'watercolor' markers if I want to shade things up. Crayola crayons are great, but IMO, too chubby for most adult coloring books. Crayola makes good colored pencils.

If you get pencils don't forget a sharpener. 🙂

Ok.  Maybe, I’ll get several types.  I’m giving it to a friend who used to love to paint. She’s also a huge Beatles fan.  I got her a Beatles coloring book.  I think she’ll like it.  

• Like 9
18 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Ok.  Maybe, I’ll get several types.  I’m giving it to a friend who used to love to paint. She’s also a huge Beatles fan.  I got her a Beatles coloring book.  I think she’ll like it.  

Is your friend me? 😁🙃

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Is your friend me? 😁🙃

Right! Lol. I like it too.  She’s a good friend who has everything. I hope this will be something she can do for relaxation.  She and her husband both have ailing parents that requires a lot of time, energy, patience, waiting, etc.  lately.  And it’ll be her birthday.  

• Like 3

Update from me. For the past month, my 19 grandson has been living with us, and it's been just fine.

I was worried it wouldn't be (long story, but he was basically kicked out of his house by his parents.)

He has been a joy to be around, and the BEST thing is he got a JOB this week. 😁

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 18
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

8 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I have not tried that brand, but I do like my prismacolor pencils. 

I just bought Prismacolor pencils after reading a Wirecutter review of colored pencils--that was their recommendation.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I love it!  What did you use to create this?  

Thank you!   After I posted it I realised I'd missed a couple of spots and so I filled them in and then even did the grass and background, which I don't often do because I can't be bothered.  What I posted I did with Crayola markers, 10 packs of fine line and broad line, and then I did the background and grass with pencils from the 12 pack Crayola pre-sharpened colored pencils box.  I think I probably also got the book from Krogers.

There are lots of options and price points, but for a rank amateur and artistically challenged, kind of careless doofus with a pretty short attention span like me, this works for me.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Update from me. For the past month, my 19 grandson has been living with us, and it's been just fine.

I was worried it wouldn't be (long story, but he was basically kicked out of his house by his parents.)

He has been a joy to be around, and the BEST thing is he got a JOB this week. 😁

That’s great! I know you’re proud of him. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

To be honest, while the prismacolors are definitely a cut above when it comes to the pigment, the smoothness, blendability, etc, most colored pencils will do the job if you just sort of want to doodle. The first time I tried using them to do an actual drawing, all I had was my kids' Crayolas (this was QUITE some time ago), and I produced this drawing of an egret. I don't use this medium all that often there days, and when I do it's mostly portrait work. The second drawing here is still quite a work in progress (ignore the hands...I'm still struggling with those), of my granddaughter, done with prismacolors.PXL_20230804_145050278_exported_614_1691160705895.thumb.jpg.3fb7c4a9edd8786dbb78a4d77fbbe6be.jpgPXL_20230804_140457508_exported_1046_1691159324950.thumb.jpg.7a8baaba4f4183a04b759934c86e2abe.jpg

Love the sketch of your granddaughter, she looks like a sweetheart.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

To be honest, while the prismacolors are definitely a cut above when it comes to the pigment, the smoothness, blendability, etc, most colored pencils will do the job if you just sort of want to doodle. The first time I tried using them to do an actual drawing, all I had was my kids' Crayolas (this was QUITE some time ago), and I produced this drawing of an egret. I don't use this medium all that often there days, and when I do it's mostly portrait work. The second drawing here is still quite a work in progress (ignore the hands...I'm still struggling with those), of my granddaughter, done with prismacolors.PXL_20230804_145050278_exported_614_1691160705895.thumb.jpg.3fb7c4a9edd8786dbb78a4d77fbbe6be.jpgPXL_20230804_140457508_exported_1046_1691159324950.thumb.jpg.7a8baaba4f4183a04b759934c86e2abe.jpg

are you kidding??!! those are INCREDIBLE!!! both of them are!!!! i am not even close to being an artist but i love coloring in my color books. it gives me space to let my mind clear, i guess. my newest book was a gift,  rooster/chicken color book.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2

@Jynnan tonnixThose are absolutely beautiful!  You definitely have the artist's gift.  Do you ever do commission work by chance?  

I have been coloring for almost 8 years, but I took one year off.  Covid and the lockdown are what brought me back to it.  I've changed what I color so much over the years.  I will only do mandalas now as they have begun to be my favorite.  As for tools, I rarely use pencils, never use crayons, and always use markers of some type.  I have pencil boxes full of different types-fine nib, brush tips, and my good old Sharpie.  Don't sleep on the Amazon Basics options if you're looking for something easy to use right out of the gate.  They work for larger spaces so much better.  If I get a chance, I will take some pics of my latest ones.  I always save my coloring before heading to bed.  It's relaxing and helps a bit.

• Like 11