Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I've been in Connecticut the last few days (at a Gilmore Girls fan fest!), so I'm catching up, but yay to all of you!

HFC, I'm so happy your daughter is getting her spark back and I hope the ex is left high and dry.

To all of you with supernatural experiences, I totally believe in it. I've had experiences I can't explain and I believe my grammy and papa have visited a few times before. It's always comforting, not scary.

• Love 5

I had one of these with my MIL, who wasn't my MIL at the time as we weren't married yet, but for all intents and purposes.  It was a dream the night of her death, but so odd.  I was sitting in a darkened room with just just one overhead light on.  I and the others who were in the room were sitting in very plain high backed wooden chairs, and while I faced them I couldn't see faces, because the room was lit with just that light.  I remember the people had older styled clothing on.  Then up an aisle she walked, looking like herself but not on her usual oxygen tank.  Now...she and I were complete opposites and certainly didn't like each other much, she was ultra Catholic who couldn't wrap her head that one of her children would seriously date some foul mouthed heathen like myself and I thought she was right out of the Middle Ages.  But yet she came up to me in this dream and shook me while I sat in that chair and said wake up, wake up, I'm fine, just waiting.  I can still feel her shaking me, it was so real.  Then she said, and this could have been my subconscious mind you, that not to worry, the Bulls will win.  She knew that I and her son were rabid Bulls fans, any family function we went to would get a television tuned to a game...and that was the year they won their first championship.  Boy I could have made a lot of money that year.  

I don't want to see my mom for awhile.  I'm still pissed at her.

• Love 4

For quite a while after my dad died I was "visited" by hawks. I'd be driving down the street and one would swoop really closely in front of my car. The first time I thought, Wow! Close call! Then it happened when I was nowhere near where I usually think I might see a hawk and for some reason I thought, Dad?

It happened a few more times over the next couple of years and I took it as a comfort. Hubby was in the car with me once when it happened and was like, Wow, that was really close!

We now have a number "neighbor" hawks and a couple hang out in our oaks or on a nearby telephone pole. 

Glad I'm in such good company here with all of the other "visits".

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 2

My sisters had a weird, I guess you'd call it a joke, after my father died.  They were roommates and they kept seeing this big, black ant in their apartment.  They didn't kill it, but called it "Daddy".  They decided he came back as an ant to keep tabs on them.  The landlord stepped on it and, well.    They laughed about it.  When my mother was dying my sister urged her that if she came back for any post-death visits, to come back as something more interesting than an ant.  Mommie promised to.......  The day of her funeral, when my sister got back in the limo there was a big grasshopper on the windshield.....  Later that day when she went out to feed her pet rabbit, there was a grasshopper on the rabbit's pen.....  Then, she had taken my mother's old bedroom furniture and set it out in the driveway so she could properly clean and polish it.  She went in the house, cautioning her children not to touch the bureau.  When she came out, she said to her son, "what did you put on Nanny's bureau, I told you not to touch it".....  When they both got closer, a grasshopper!   We all had grasshopper sightings too numerous to mention.  One stands out for me.  I had run into some serious bad luck, things were not going well.  I looked at my window and there was a huge grasshopper on the screen.  I looked at it and thought perhaps it was a sign from my mother that things would be getting better....  Well, this big bird swooped down and snatched the grasshopper off the screen, all that was left was some dribbled guts.........  That was my last grasshopper sighting.  But things did get better!

• Love 7
On 10/22/2016 at 8:25 PM, Barb23 said:

I love hearing these types of stories & enjoyed them when we shared a while back. I'll share mine again. My father-in-law died many years ago on December 13.  My MIL had already decorated for Christmas that year  & many of her decorations involve music boxes.  The music boxes would start playing by themselves at various times during the holiday season, after he was gone.  We like to think it was my father-in-law's way of telling us he was OK & things would be OK. As far as I know, that first Christmas without him was the only time it's happened.

Would the poster that shared their story about packing things up when moving from Hawaii repeat their story again? I think it had to do with coins & Pearl Harbor.  I found it fascinating at the time but can't remember any of the details.

That was me...thanks for remembering/asking :) It was a few years ago when we were stationed in Hawaii, living in one of the historic homes right across from the shipyard in Pearl Harbor. Many people in that neighborhood (and even more so the ones on Ford Island) had experienced various strange things over the years, but even though the idea of living in such a notoriously "haunted" neck of the woods made me a bit nervous at first, I never felt anything untoward there in the two years we occupied the house. If anything, I found it had a more than normal sense of graciousness and peace, but that could have easily just been due to the architecture itself. The  Senior Officers' homes in that time period (1913, I think it was) were built with the intent of doing a bit of entertaining.

Anyway, my husband had already moved back Stateside for his next assignment; we had packed out already, so all I had was a few pieces of loaner "Aloha Furniture" as I stayed for the last few weeks to finish up some of the details of move. Our younger son had left about the same time to start college in North Dakota (of all places!), so I was all alone, and while I went out with friends a few times here and there during that time period, no one actually came over to the house.

I always save pocket change throughout the year, then cash it in for an Amazon gift certificate at a Coinstar for Christmas. and while it was still only August, I had accumulated a pretty good ziplock bag full. It was in a drawer in the bedroom, which was in a different part of the house than anyone would have been in even if they HAD come inside. I was bored one evening, so I spent some time counting it just for something to do. It was just a normal variety of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters...nothing unusual. When I was done, I scooped it back up off the table and stashed the bag back in the recesses of the chest of drawers.

A couple of days later I went to the Coinstar to cash it all in. 

As I tipped all the coins onto the tray and was pushing them down toward the slot, my eye caught something different from everything else, and I managed to nab it before it slipped away.

It was a silver half-dollar. From 1941.

Here it is...I've kept it in my jewelry box since.

14641959_10154545869342778_7610794604255

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 10
21 minutes ago, kathe5133 said:

I looked at my window and there was a huge grasshopper on the screen.  I looked at it and thought perhaps it was a sign from my mother that things would be getting better....  Well, this big bird swooped down and snatched the grasshopper off the screen, all that was left was some dribbled guts.........  That was my last grasshopper sighting.  But things did get better!

Was it a hawk? Maybe it was my dad! LOL

Loving all of these sightings.

In the Duggar forum, no less!

• Love 3

Medicaid is starting to piss me off. I am still not feeling well (blasted chest pain/tightness and stomach cramps.) I contacted my physician assistant's office, and she put in a prescription for Nexium 40 mg. Medicaid will not pay for the new prescription, and I need to try at least two different meds before they will pay for the Nexium. GRRR!!! I already tried Omeprazole 20 mg. It helps a little, but the pain and stomach cramps are not getting better. If I do not feel better with a different med, I will be going to the GI clinic for a EGD. I look up EGD, and it does not look like a fun test. It is bad enough being sick, but dealing with Medicaid is not much better.

19 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Medicaid is starting to piss me off. I am still not feeling well (blasted chest pain/tightness and stomach cramps.) I contacted my physician assistant's office, and she put in a prescription for Nexium 40 mg. Medicaid will not pay for the new prescription, and I need to try at least two different meds before they will pay for the Nexium. GRRR!!! I already tried Omeprazole 20 mg. It helps a little, but the pain and stomach cramps are not getting better. If I do not feel better with a different med, I will be going to the GI clinic for a EGD. I look up EGD, and it does not look like a fun test. It is bad enough being sick, but dealing with Medicaid is not much better.

So sorry, BIGSKYGIRL. It seems so unfair to make someone suffer needlessly. I hope one of the other meds will help more than the Omeprazole. Hugs.

ETA...EGD, endoscopy, is a very easy procedure you don't need to be afraid of. 

Edited by Love2dance

BigSkyGirl - So sorry to hear of your problems with Medicaid & getting the proper medicine you need. Unfortunately this just seems to be the way of the insurance companies now. I'm sure we all have plenty of horror stories we could share.  Like my doctor says, why should a nurse sitting in an insurance company cubicle decide what meds my patient needs to take?  Don't worry about the EGD test. I had it done years ago & it was a piece of cake. The test didn't take long & I was sedated the whole time. I didn't feel or remember a thing once they put in the mouth guard.  (And I'm a Nervous Nellie type of person.) I even got pictures of my stomach to take home. 

Big Sky Girl, what a bummer.  Funny how they won't pay for more effective treatment, but they are paying for the endoscopy...at least then with a definitive diagnosis, maybe you'll get what you need. Your doctor can also give you samples. They frequently do that when insurance won't pay or gives the patient the runaround,. That way, you get what you need and won't gave to pay for it or deal with the insurance.

I am going to try Pantoprazole 40 mg for a few weeks to see if it works. If not, I probably will be going in for the test. I am nervous about the IV part of the test. I hate IVs, and they have a hard time getting the needle in. Plus the mouth guard may make the TMJ flare up along with the being put under may be a problem due to the sleep apnea. I am sure the GI Clinic staff knows what they are doing. I could ask them to put me under for a few days. Ha!!!

@bigskygirl - that all doesn't sound like fun at all.  Ask for a butterfly needle to start the IV, or a pediatric.  I have the same problem with veins and tell them I only want to be stuck once so get a small needle and an expert.  No trainees.  Once they get the needle in you are good to go.  Maybe they have a smaller mouth guard.  Mine felt like a tiny donut or thick straw.  They just want your mouth to stay open while they run the scope down.  Are you willing to try Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar?  A teaspoon in a glass of water does the trick for me and I even got Mr. lookeyloo to try it.  You can google it and see if it is something to try.  cheap and no prescription.  It doesn't work for everyone but worth a try.    And the under for a few days sounds great to me.  I can understand why Michael Jackson liked the propofol.  No one will set me up with a home dispenser, I wonder why.

• Love 4

I have had a sad week. My sister & brother-in-law's neighbor & good friend collapsed while leaving a football game Sunday & died Wednesday. It wasn't exactly a heart attack, more like his heart just stopped. He also had a brain bleed. He was just 54 & didn't seem to have any health problems. Then today while my sister was looking up funeral arrangements for him on line, she finds an obituary for a good friend of mine's husband who died last week. We were coworkers for years & still got together & emailed. This past year we haven't  been in touch  much &  now I feel bad for not keeping up with our emails.  Then my BIL has an acquaintance who went in for back surgery & didn't wake up from the anesthesia & is in a coma.  So if you can send prayers & thoughts to these families, it will be greatly appreciated. I'll be glad when this week is over.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

I have had a sad week. ..............  So if you can send prayers & thoughts to these families, it will be greatly appreciated. I'll be glad when this week is over.

So sorry, BARB23. What a sad, distressful week. It is a reminder to all of us to treasure every day, and express our love to those close to our hearts. Hugs.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Thank you for your thoughts & prayers.  

Loves2Dance, I was thinking the same as you - to treasure each day because you don't know what's in store for tomorrow. 

Yes, for sure.

Just FYI, there is another poster on this forum, Loves2Dance. I am Love2dance. I have no idea which of us was here first, but I do know she is MUCH younger than I am based on her posts! :)

Hope this weekend is the beginning of a better time for you and yours.

Barb23 - I'm having a good thought for you and your extended family and friends.  Here's my broken record again - this friggin year needs to get its damn self over with already.

I love love love Halloween and actually have this week off of work - with everything that went on this year somehow I had the foresight to not eat up this time and I need it.  I can't tell you how great it's been just to putz around the house this weekend, and this morning I finally had some time to decorate the front stairs for treaters.  Still have to do the daily radiation circus train with my male parent but at least I'm not having to work my screwy hours on top of that fun.    I missed not going to a couple of the haunts around here as I've been too exhausted but it's going to be fun tonight to see the little ones in their costumes.  Hope everybody here has a good time....and go Cubs!   

• Love 7

I had my medicine stress test yesterday & it was a piece of cake.  Haven't found out results yet  but I figure if they didn't keep me or say something, it must not be too bad.  I only felt a little chest pressure during test & it was nothing compared to how it felt when my heart rate sky rocketed in ER in September. I didn't have any side effects either like headache, nausea, etc.  Poor lady next to me ended up with bad headache.  The best part was the caffeinated Pepsi they had me drink at end.  It also helped that all the techs & cardiologist were very nice. One tech in particular was great & put me at ease right away. He didn't seem to mind that my only question (a very important one for an older lady) was if I was allowed to go to the bathroom with IV in my arm. I was picturing the stand that you have to lug around, but it was only just the little thing stuck in my arm, so no problem there. Ugh, I'm still finding those sticky pads they stick the wires to.  Didn't realize I had so many.

On a different topic, did anyone have any unique costumed trick or treaters?  I had an Olympian whose costume was very simple - just a navy sweat suit with USA on it & a bunch of medals around her neck. How easy was that to put together?  Also had an ear of corn. It was a store bought costume (I like homemade ones the best) but was so cute.  Too bad the Duggars don't do Halloween, trick or treating, parades, etc. With so many people, they could have come up with some different themes, but I'm sure they would be Bible related. 

Finally, Happy Deviled Eggs day today!!  I love them. Anyone have any fancy or different deviled egg recipes? 

• Love 3

Normally I hand out the candy, but I was so sick from Sunday, that I was just burrowed on the couch. So I didn't see any of the costumes :(  Turns out I was feeling so sick because I have pneumonia. Went to the doctor yesterday and had a chest x-ray and lo and behold, pneumonia. Yay. 

Glad your test went well @Barb23   I am still not feeling well. I am still having cramps and the chest pressure/tightness is not getting better. The new med helps a little, but not enough. I hope you feel better soon @frenchtoast

I did not hand out candy on Monday because I had no candy and was not feeling well. I do remember one year when a little girl came to my house dressed as a box of movie theater popcorn. It was the first time for her to be trick and treating. So cute!!!

I would love to eat some Deviled Eggs, but unfortunately my stomach would not be happy if I ate one.

Not really a "recipe" or anything particularly fancy, but I always add a little curry powder to my deviled egg mixture. The curry seems to enhance the "egginess", and give the yolks a nice, deep yellow tone. 

If I happen to have some truffle oil, which I don't often do, but have bought some for a special recipe a couple of times, just a few drops will add an indefinable "something" to a deviled egg as well :)

• Love 3

@Barb23 - so glad to hear it went well.  

@frenchtoast - oy.  I hope you are better soon.

We escaped the subdivision during trick or treat but listened from another room at son's house while son in law gave out candy.  Apparently they got very young kids in the usual range of costumes.  Nothing stood out.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:18 AM, Barb23 said:

Too bad the Duggars don't do Halloween, trick or treating, parades, etc. With so many people, they could have come up with some different themes, but I'm sure they would be Bible related. 

Finally, Happy Deviled Eggs day today!!  I love them. Anyone have any fancy or different deviled egg recipes?

The Duggars are skilled at sad cow costumes for free chic-fil-a.

Family holidays for a few years I was in charge of deviled eggs and the relish tray. I used standard stuff like mayo, mustard and relish but I used my mom's homemade zucchini relish and it seemed to be appreciated.  I make egg salad with curry and have done that deviled style too also smoked salmon and dill

1 minute ago, MunichNark said:

It's snowing out. Snowing........obviously not that much, but still. Winter is a coming

We had some snow come down earlier last week...It didn't stick or anything, and changed to rain a bit later on, but it was coming down pretty thick and heavy for half a hour or so...Looked a bit strange with so many leaves still on the trees and the grass, along with quite a lot of the undergrowth/shrubbery still quite green. We've still had only a handful of mild frosts, so a lot of what's out there has not died back yet.

I have my daughter and son-in-law coming over for dinner today...trying to decide whether to fire up the wood stove or not. It adds so much ambiance, and I do like to keep the house a little cooler than they like it, so they will probably enjoy the extra warmth! But it heats up the downstairs to where I end up having to wear a tank top, especially if I'm also cooking. The cats also always appreciate it as well, though...On the other hand, it's still going to be in the mid 50's today, so it's not really necessary...LOL - I don't like decisions!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I have my daughter and son-in-law coming over for dinner today...trying to decide whether to fire up the wood stove or not. It adds so much ambiance, and I do like to keep the house a little cooler than they like it, so they will probably enjoy the extra warmth! But it heats up the downstairs to where I end up having to wear a tank top, especially if I'm also cooking. The cats also always appreciate it as well, though...On the other hand, it's still going to be in the mid 50's today, so it's not really necessary...LOL - I don't like decisions!

My Brit mom keeps the house much cooler than I like it.  I grew up in Texas, not over there., so I understand that temperature comfort is relative.  

Last Christmas it was 80 F outside, though it's not unusual to see frost or even snow around that time of year.  My Caribbean born husband is always in a quandary as to what to wear when we come to visit. I just tell him to bring a light jacket, unless the forecast says it's going to be cold.

I am tired.  I've been running wide open for the last 3 weeks, nonstop.  I have 15 projects half baked that I can't seem to finish and THAT makes me tired.  I'm just tired.  I feel like the campaign candidates must feel - when I accomplish something (a campaign stop)  and get back on the bus, so to speak, my peeps tell me there's another stop in an hour.  I just want to lay on the couch and veg for one full day.  Just one.

So we're going camping this weekend (yay, right?).  But alas, I've had a twinge of guilt for neglecting the only son of my daughter., who's husband is moving across country on Thursday... and I asked him to come along.  He's the grand I least enjoy.  Demanding, obnoxious, lazy, selfish, eats like a hog.  I seriously have to get my brain rearranged before I leave with him.  He's the kid that, if he weren't firmly glued into the family, I would avoid and steer the other grands away from.  He's had a tremendous upheaval and I need to work with him and this is the perfect opportunity.  Oy.  I'm tired.

• Love 7

HFC, I feel your pain. It is often hard to keep my heart open to my grands, who sometimes show signs of the chaos of living with a deeply mentally ill and NASTY mom (my son's ex). You want so much to fix everything but it is so hard, and we really just can't. Good luck and I hope you do have some fun. 

• Love 2

Election-related but not political ... my office is right next to a candidate's watch party location.  They kicked my coffee cart guy out this morning.  I had to drink nasty office coffee.  I ain't happy.

• Love 6

Change of topic - I have been battling doctors for the past year over my thyroid treatment.  I was very stable with the former treatment before we moved and drs and I got along fine.  Here in new place the ones I have encountered are very stubborn.  Only go by TSH and have a different normal range than other place's doctors.  In my reading I see there is a controversy even amongst endocrinologists and some folks recommend a family doctor, who I was seeing before we moved.  New family doctor here not on board.  Anyway, I am taking a natural thyroid now.  Seems like it is okay so far, after much arguing to raise dose and don't go totally by TSH range they use.  So that dr. is now leaving.  Have to start with new one.  I found a source for a natural thyroid made in New Zealand and sold here by mail that could possibly  replace  what I am taking.  It is not expensive.  I also found that there are independent labs here that will run a thyroid panel for me and they have the range I am used to going by.  They also are very inexpensive.  In the 30 plus years of being treated for my hypothyroid, there were only two times that things changed. About 20 years ago when I needed T3 and then when we moved here and the doctors were so resistant.  So, Just maybe I can go it alone til I need something else.  I still have the appt. with the new endocrinologist in April and I have enough refills on that drug if things go awry.  Wish me luck!!!

• Love 5

Happy - good to hear from you & hope your trip goes well.

Lookeyloo - Wishing you luck.  Too bad you can't keep seeing a family practice doctor instead of having to see specialist.  I've heard similar stories like yours of when people move & have to start with a new doctor & a new set of (their) rules to follow which are different than what you are used to.  

• Love 1

lookey, are you in the USA? If so, let me know and I can pm you links of super cheap labs you can order yourself. My stupid insurance was not covering all of the thyroid labs I needed and it is actually cheaper for me to pay for it myself. And it's the same lab my doctor uses (Lab Corp), so it's all legit. Thyroid problems are a b*tch.

• Love 2

Good luck with everything, and be careful with your natural thyroid med since any type of treatment or medication can cause side effects. I see my endocrinologist on 11/17. I am still not feeling well, so tomorrow morning I will call my physician assistant since the new medication is helping a little, but not enough because I still feel like crap. I probably will be going to the GI clinic and having the one test. It is weird because I am still having the chest pain/tightness, stomach upset and cramps, along with allergy type symptoms. I do not remember having these problems when I was diagnosed with Graves Disease. I did have mild stomach upset, but nothing like I have right now. I feel like I have a cold, the flu, and my allergies are kicking in at the same time.