Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, AstridM said:

How? No one here even understands what the actual issues are and how to correct them. We aren’t able to change the thread titles ourselves .

You should bold the last sentence to get their attention. Although many attempts have been made to contact the mods to no avail. 

• Like 10
(edited)

You know, I think this last conversation is emblematic of one of the big reasons why this approach to moderation is problematic. Without knowing what was objected to and why, in a vacuum of information, it's easy to jump to conclusions as to who found what offensive enough to complain and the motivations behind that. That means that instead of having a space where one could, theoretically, have a respectful debate about what makes a family structure or a person fair game for criticism (or not), everyone gets really defensive because they want to protect things that are important to them. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Like 15
4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

You should bold the last sentence to get their attention. Although many attempts have been made to contact the mods to no avail. 

Done!

3 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

You know, I think this last conversation is emblematic of one of the big reasons why this approach to moderation is problematic. Without what was objected to and why, in a vacuum of information, it's easy to jump to conclusions as to who found what offensive enough to complain about and the motivations behind that. That means that instead of having a space where one could, theoretically, have a respectful debate about what makes a family structure or a person fair game for criticism, everyone gets really defensive because they want to protect things that are important to them. 

True dat.

• Like 7
17 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Well, they don't seem to be very transparent if no one knows what went wrong.

Exactly.  There is not one specific word on what we are to do or not do.  It is crazy-making to be told to change our behavior without saying anything direct such as DON'T DO THIS, instead DO THIS.

If they are unable to clarify the issues, I think the site is finished, at least as we have enjoyed it.  I'm going to watch this for now, but I think I am probably done with it.

• Like 15
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

At least this entire forum wasn’t deleted without any warning like the Royals forum a couple months ago and the Shopping Channel forum yesterday.

I haven’t seen the Mods do anything and I don’t think they’re allowed to do anything but housekeeping duties etc.

all of the deleting forums, locking threads and traffic light actions have been performed by the two Community Managers.

@cm-soupsipper and @CM-CrispMtAir

I mostly lurk, which is apparently why I am having hideous problems getting this reply to post. But, does anyone know of any equivalent to the royal family form, on Reddit or FB or anywhere, it disappeared suddenly while I was about two months behind? I miss the pictures of the outfits and the jewels. (especially since her majesty died, and King Charles just doesn’t have the fashion options that she did)

• Like 7
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, RandomTrivia said:

I mostly lurk, which is apparently why I am having hideous problems getting this reply to post. But, does anyone know of any equivalent to the royal family form, on Reddit or FB or anywhere, it disappeared suddenly while I was about two months behind? I miss the pictures of the outfits and the jewels. (especially since her majesty died, and King Charles just doesn’t have the fashion options that she did)

R/royalsgossip on Reddit 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 4

Has anyone started a pool on how long it will take this forum to die? It's the, what? fourth? fifth?, incarnation of TWOP.

• Like 8
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 2
9 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

If you can remember your password, you should be fine.  They don't delete accounts. I took a long sabbitcal from there, and was able to resume with my account when I returned. 😀

I did have to reset my password, but I'm good.  Now I need to find the correct forum.  Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Cattoy said:

Has anyone started a pool on how long it will take this forum to die? It's the, what? fourth? fifth?, incarnation of TWOP.

4/1/24 look at the warning thing lol. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

4/1/24 look at the warning thing lol. 

Oh, I meant the entire site, not just the Counting On subset. The same thing happens with every iteration. Moderation overreactions and other changes drive enough people away that it eventually dies, then a new version pops up, and history repeats itself.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I did have to reset my password, but I'm good.  Now I need to find the correct forum.  Thanks for the reminder.

Me, too! I’m back in with the same username I have here. See you there!

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Cattoy said:

Oh, I meant the entire site, not just the Counting On subset. The same thing happens with every iteration. Moderation overreactions and other changes drive enough people away that it eventually dies, then a new version pops up, and history repeats itself.

Same time frame, 2 months tops this whole site is out.

• Like 9
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
59 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

FreeJinger.org

Joining us easy, layout is similar. Many topics of discussion, from fundies to food. 

I know one poster here posts there because she has the same username. 😀

It's a safe spot with spirited debate, plentiful snark, and minimal moderation because we're adults. The best part, there is no banning or other childish games. 👍

Me? 

(edited)

2 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Why do you stalk me with sarcastic laughing emojis? Immature in my opinion.

It's almost like a group of people here have the exact same cult-like mindset, and want to shout down others that don't slavishly agree with their every proclamation.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
30 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Me? 

Yes! 😀

49 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I DMed one of the Helpmeets that there might be an influx of new members (or old members coming back). They're now aware of our plight. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I am sad and flummoxed.  I don't think I've posted anything unkind or uncivil.  If the new Powers That Be want us to change how we post, then why is their guidance so vague and preachy?  Their directives seem painfully sincere but singularly unhelpful if they really want to effect change.

• Like 21

Anyone else having issues reacting to a post? It won’t let me on any post, no matter how many reactions have been given. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

But they should be honoring our repeated requests to come here and tell us what the NEW rules look like. At this point, we're all in the dark. There's no resolution going down that path. 

• Like 14
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

That’s what they’re doing, the Mods have no say in the matter, they’re told what the new rules are and they enforce them.

Hey @Joan of Argh!! 😁

I have to question this. How can we know what the rules are? Obviously they have changed, as far as what is unacceptable/acceptable to post now, but there is nothing stating them for posters that I’ve seen. I haven’t seen any warning, no directives given related to any posts on any topic I post in. 

If we assume, we could be correct, or not. Just from what I’ve read different people saying  they think the problem is, there are posts that go against it currently being posted. Still, I see no Mod.

As far as the title of threads, we used to be able to see who created  them. That’s no longer the case. Posters can’t change them anyway even if some of us have created them. I don’t understand why the offending titles haven’t been changed.

Perhaps I’m in a COL bubble and this has all escaped me. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 18
(edited)

I guess I better not say anymore.

My post about Silverstormm and her mod team was deleted.

My post about the elephant in the room was deleted too.

I guess I hit a nerve and revealed too much 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Joan of Argh
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 20
31 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Huh, so we're not here alone. And I'm only in a T and boxers. 😁

• LOL 17
1 hour ago, Joan of Argh said:

I missed the posts lol

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Madtown said:

Anyone else having issues reacting to a post? It won’t let me on any post, no matter how many reactions have been given. 

4 hours ago, Absolom said:

I can’t do reactions either.

Along with the kindergarten red light, green light games and the badges we're supposed to aspire to (though surely we'll all get one because God forbid anyone should feel left out), perhaps they've also instituted a virtual naughty seat where you have to be silent and therefore can't react to anyone else.

• Like 1
  • LOL 16
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I am so confused and sad. I’ve belonged to this forum since TWOP and feel that I’ve developed true virtual friendships here, especially on the small talk thread. I have no idea what the new administrators want, but am so sad that they can just make this all disappear.

If it happens, can anyone tell me where we can find each other on Reddit? Or elsewhere? I’m pretty old, and just hanging in there with all this new fangled technology. 🤣
Anyway, I just want to thank you all for the many, many hours of virtual community we have been able to participate in. I’m really hoping the forum stays open, but doesn’t become something unrecognizable from the supportive family we have nurtured. I will miss you all so much if it evaporates.

We can go to Chit Chat to keep in touch till we find another place.

• Like 3

It's confusing and very disappointing what's going on with this forum, but if it goes away, I'll really miss all you magnificent bastids! These Dugg threads sometimes provide the only laugh I get all day. That's invaluable, and I'll miss it a lot. 

• Like 23
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I missed the posts lol

I posted a rather long, and kind, post before I went to bed comparing our group here to what I found on FreeJinger yesterday. ( I found a lot of politics, bad language, and bad grammar (LOL)), and stated that it has changed a lot since I left there to come here.  I also praised our group for tolerance, kindness, and caring.  My post is nowhere to be found.

• Mind Blown 5
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 20
  • Angry 2
  • Fire 2