Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

HFC, I am sorry to hear that things aren't getting better with your daughter. I think you are right on the money, she is trying to make a clean break emotionally, it's easier that way. From what you told us she is a very caring person so I have to beleive something will trigger a return to you. I love what she did for you regarding Santa! I hope when my daughters are older I have a story to share like that. - As far as your dog, that is why I am a dog momma for life and strongly dislike cats. Doggys always know when to comfort and protect, I will share my stories for another time, but doggys are angels on earth I tell ya. - Hugs to you, I hope your day gets better!

• Love 7

Presented for your amusement...

As I mentioned, we did not attend the family Thanksgiving this year. We had a very nice dinner with each other instead, for a variety of reasons.

We got an e-mail from one of our cousins last night. Typically, we adore her. She has a young daughter. It seems the young daughter picked up lice at her preschool. Our cousin did not tell the family that they'd been treated for it once already on Thanksgiving. There must have been a re-occurrence. Last night's e-mail was to the effect that perhaps the family should all get checked for lice.

We're due at another (mandatory) family gathering on Saturday. We're going to have to think of a tactful way of not hugging anyone.

• Love 10

HFC, I'm so sorry to read about you & your daughter, and fervently hope you can find one another and the love you shared again. I say that as someone who understands the early mother-daughter relationship you described; always close, emotionally & physically. I married into the military and that first move just about killed us both. We moved around for 21 yrs, and were lucky enough for one assignment to be stationed only 2 hrs from home, so mom & I made up for lost time! We got even closer, as my dad suddenly passed away (and I am so, SO grateful I was so close to home when it happened). Maybe your girl will come to her senses sooner, rather than later, and realize what she's missing.

I'm glad you write here to vent & share, I love reading your posts! And your dog sounds just amazing. A true case of who rescued who.

Excited for your new addition, and looking forward to hearing about it!!

And not dissing dogs, Readalot (I've had & known awesome dogs in my life) but cats can be surprisingly intuitive, too. I've got one who loves me like a dog (and I swear, I'm not delusional, lol!) I have others, though, that epitomize that classic, independent, "all about me" reputation! To them, I'm definitely "the staff!"

Edited by Liz Tudor
  • Love 6

HFC, I'm so sorry to read about you & your daughter, and fervently hope you can find one another

Ooooooh I had to come back right away and tell you how I read this sentence the first time (and had to read it a couple times before my eyebrows went back to normal):

I'M SO SORRY TO READ ABOUT YOU & YOUR DAUGHTER, AND FERVENTLY HOPE YOU CAN FIND ANOTHER ONE AND THE LOVE YOU SHARED AGAIN.

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!! Well, there you go, I LAUGHED hard when I finally read it right. (Because naturally, my first thought when I read it my way was: I don't want ANOTHER daughter. I want THAT one!!! Heeeee!!!!!!

• Love 8

I should've put this on my last post, but I thought that was funny so I let it stand alone. (But sometimes when I post back-to-back, it joins up anyway.)

I want to tell you what my amazing dumpster dog for this morning. I swear, this dog...

I've had myself a big fat case of the holiday blues the last couple days, (and I HAVE to stop, I'm Having a BABY!!! Just in case someone forgot -little snort - we're due TODAY!!! I said from the first second that I wanted her to be born tomorrow because it would have been daddy's 90th birthday. If that child is born tomorrow, the mom is going to swear forever that I made that happen somehow....and I'm ok with that. Nothing yet...)

ANYWAY (said the rambling queen). My mom's sudden decline after all these years is killing me, and it makes me RESENT my daughters attitude so much. She's very blasé about the whole thing, and we've always been so tight, I'm just not dealing with it. I told my son last night that it feels like when a boy and girl break up. And the guy might say, "you can't NOT love me, look what we've been through together! Look at everything I've given up for you! This isn't what you SAID! You can't just NOT love me anymore! We have too much invested together!" And the girl looks at him and says, "yeah, well. Unfortunately, I'M over it, so you need to adjust". That's EXACTLY how I feel. Like my daughter isn't invested in the family any more. She has mentally shrugged us off. Because God, apparently. (I find it difficult to believe God is happy about this when he did everything but crash the plane to keep them from going there, but that's another story).

Setting up the house for Christmas, I pulled out this ugly old ceramic Santa that she bought me the first year they were married. He's about a foot tall, and heavy as a cow. She lived in Monterrey, CA with her husband (in the army at the time). We'd gone to this little antique shop near the wharf. If was out of the way, but she knew I'd love it. I picked up this 10 lb Santa and walked around the store with him for an hour, debating. I loved him, but couldn't figure out how to fly home with him without breaking him. Didn't want to fly to Atlanta with Santa on my lap. (Depends on the Santa, right?)

They came home for Christmas that year, and she gave me Santa as a gift. I knew what a sacrifice she'd made, she couldn't afford it, she didn't live near the shop so she'd had to call and ask them to hold it. She'd flown home with him in the cabin with her so he wouldn't be broken. She was so proud, and I cried. It was maybe the best gift I'd ever gotten.

I remember that love. I remember how we spent that week working on her apartment, and how we spent time reading to each other "Where the Heart Is". She is incredible, really. I miss her so so much. Not because of the distance, but of the absence of her heart. She was forever my cuddle bug. Always had to be touching me somewhere, even just a toe. I suspect this "absence" of heart is a coping mechanism she's using to deal with the separation. She's stepped aside emotionally because God wants her there, and so that's where she has to be. (So she tells herself).

So about the dog. This morning, as soon as the hubs leaves for work, I fall across my bed and have myself a big fat pity party, and cried like the end of the world. The combination of the decline with losing my daughter is juuuuuuust tearing me apart. The dog (who really was found at a dumpster) comes to the bed and huffs at me a few times from the side (I don't allow him in my bed). He REALLY wants up, and I'm not up to arguing at the moment, so he takes my non-answer as a yes. Up he comes, all 80 lbs of him. He lays down facing me and licks my hand a couple times, puts his paw on my arm, asking me what's wrong. (He is the most sensitive dog Ive ever known, seriously). I scratch his face, still dripping. He looks at me with those human eyes of his, rolls over and presses his back into me, like we're spooning. Giving me comfort. (When he's asking for love, he faces me and shows me belly (and pokes at me until he gets what he wants. Rotten.). Clearly, he was OFFERING love, not asking).

So yeah, THAT didn't make me cry harder.

Okay now i am crying what a wonderful dog.

• Love 3

And not dissing dogs, Readalot (I've had & known awesome dogs in my life) but cats can be surprisingly intuitive, too. I've got one who loves me like a dog (and I swear, I'm not delusional, lol!) I have others, though, that epitomize that classic, independent, "all about me" reputation! To them, I'm definitely "the staff!"

i hear ya! Tiger the Cat, my first childhood pet was one of those rare intuitive cats and I have the best memories of him. Since then, not good experiences with cats. But they don't like (ignore) me so its all good lol (80% of my family have cats).
  • Love 1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jducm9ess36cup2/2014-09-22%2009.07.30.jpg?dl=0

Dumpster dog. (Rocky). Sorry, I couldn't make myself stop. He is THE DOG.

LT: I put an ad on Craigslist for another daughter. I'll let you know how that works out.

HAPPYFATCHICK, you have made me laugh, then cry, then laugh again today. Please, please write a book of your stories. I promise to buy a dozen as gifts. We don't have Erma Bombeck any more, so we need you.

Now I really miss having a dog in my house. Hubby is allergic and we like being free as birds, but gosh, I miss those doggy cuddles.

Hoping your baby granddaughter arrives before midnight, but as you know, these kids have their own ideas.

LIZ TUDOR, you said exactly what I was thinking about her daughter's situation. Sigh.

• Love 8

LT: I put an ad on Craigslist for another daughter. I'll let you know how that works out.

Umm... I'm available for adoption... I'm in my early 30's I will give you TWO grand dogs, I love being fed homemade food, I am a huge fan of air conditioning and running water so chances are I will not leave the country. I am self sufficient so I just need love and maybe the occasional motivational speech.

• Love 18

HAPPYFATCHICK, you have made me laugh, then cry, then laugh again today. Please, please write a book of your stories. I promise to buy a dozen as gifts. We don't have Erma Bombeck any more, so we need you.

Now I really miss having a dog in my house. Hubby is allergic and we like being free as birds, but gosh, I miss those doggy cuddles.

Hoping your baby granddaughter arrives before midnight, but as you know, these kids have their own ideas.

LIZ TUDOR, you said exactly what I was thinking about her daughter's situation. Sigh.

I second this. Totally.

• Love 3

I REALLY need to vent.

I found out one of my aunts has lung cancer. It's inoperable. She's been a lifelong smoker who even smoked while lugging around her oxygen tank. The lung cancer is not surprising (to me at least) as she's never really been healthy, overall.

She is not well liked in our family and neither are her adult children (my cousins). The reasons are numerous but mostly because my aunt is a manipulative liar. Her daughter is a lying, gold digging bitch. Her son uses her food stamps for groceries and depends on her financially, even though he has steady employment. They essentially use her for her money and she let's them. My aunt won big $$$ from a medical malpractice lawsuit a few years ago. So of course, they hit her up for money. Her kids guilt trip her because she wasn't the best mother to them growing up.Her kids do not even LIKE her.

All three of them have been blacklisted from our family. So now that my aunt is dying, both of her kids are demanding that she buy each of THEIR teenage kids a car when they get their license.

Now, both of my cousins are employed. While I do not like my aunt, I do feel bad that she's being guilt tripped into this. It makes me stabby. She also is offering to pay off her son's $8k in back child support.

In the meantime, my aunt is being her shady, lying over dramatic self. Downplaying her medical condition to some family members while crying on the phone to my mother. She doesn't want to die alone, yet she has pushed away most of our family. She couldn't be bothered to wish my mom a Happy Birthday. Yet, my mom rushes to her side because "that's my sister". I refuse to see her in the hospital because she makes me so angry. I could write a novel about all of her lying, manipulative ways.

What's even worse is her daughter and I work for the same company (luckily in another building). I'm getting stressed out about this. What if I see my cousin? What will I say/do? I'm afraid I wouldnt be able to hide my disdain for her.

Uggghh sorry I had to vent. I can't believe I'm related to these people.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 10

HFC - Please tell Rocky "Who's a good boy ! WHO'S A GOOD BOY ?!?!" from his Aunt SomePity ! I'm so glad you have such a sweetie there to help your heart heal - there's just something about having a dog or cat that makes the unbearable bearable. I'm sitting here with my giant goofball and he's asleep with his big, lumpy head on my feet - looks like I;m not going anywhere for a while...

I laughed with the rest of you about finding "another daughter on Craigslist" but I'm considering, seriously, putting an ad there for parents or grandparents ! All of my older relatives are gone now and I so, so miss hearing stories about the Depression, the wars they lived through, how everything cost a nickel, and on and on. I'd love to have someone to take to dinner at, like, 4:30 in the afternoon again, or to sit with and watch Matlock reruns. I'm grateful to my core that I had my family as long as I did, but I want more conversation, more hugs, more wisdom that can only come from an elder.

Maybe I'll put myself up for adoption  ;)  

• Love 13

Is anybody else watching Rudolph and feeling bad for the Duggar kidlets who have probably never seen it?  Same thing with A Charlie Brown Christmas last night.  My husband and I are home alone, but we still watched both of those!

• Love 6

HFC - Please tell Rocky "Who's a good boy ! WHO'S A GOOD BOY ?!?!" from his Aunt SomePity ! I'm so glad you have such a sweetie there to help your heart heal - there's just something about having a dog or cat that makes the unbearable bearable. I'm sitting here with my giant goofball and he's asleep with his big, lumpy head on my feet - looks like I;m not going anywhere for a while...

I laughed with the rest of you about finding "another daughter on Craigslist" but I'm considering, seriously, putting an ad there for parents or grandparents ! All of my older relatives are gone now and I so, so miss hearing stories about the Depression, the wars they lived through, how everything cost a nickel, and on and on. I'd love to have someone to take to dinner at, like, 4:30 in the afternoon again, or to sit with and watch Matlock reruns. I'm grateful to my core that I had my family as long as I did, but I want more conversation, more hugs, more wisdom that can only come from an elder.

Me too. This is going to sound a bit harsh, but when my dad found a female companion after my mom died, I had a couple of twinges of jealousy. Not that by dad had a girlfriend, but because I couldn't have a new mom to "date". I know - awful.

• Love 3

MA AND PA KETTLE movies are on TCM turner classic movie channel now.  Looks like they are showing three of them.  Now there's a nice big family, with lots and lots of kids.

Somepity, Pick Me, Pick Me.  I love to eat early.  I can make up depression stories and war stories.  I'm lonely.

Who's a Good Boy?  Mikey is a good boy.  Everybody knows that.!!!

• Love 7

Me too. This is going to sound a bit harsh, but when my dad found a female companion after my mom died, I had a couple of twinges of jealousy. Not that by dad had a girlfriend, but because I couldn't have a new mom to "date". I know - awful.

GeeGolly - That's not awful ! Actually, I think it's very sweet. I felt the same way with my father - he was only in his 50s when my mother died, and I so, so wished for him to find someone - not just for himself, but for ME. Selfish, selfish me ! 

Admittedly, though, my mother was a total nut job, so I wanted my dad to have, finally, a normal, loving relationship just as much as I wanted one ! In the 25 years he lived after my mother died he had dozens of widows competing for his attention (he was quite the catch !) with casseroles, cookies, and knitting. I swear, there were probably twenty handmade afghans in the linen closet when I cleaned out his apartment ! 

He never settled down with any one particular woman - I guess my dear dad was a player ! - but he wasn't alone, and that gives me such comfort. 

Now everyone go hug someone  ;)

• Love 10

Micks, I hate that you're alone so much. If you were on my coast instead of that other one, I'd totally be your pal. You remind me of Weizer from Steel Magnolias when you post. Cut to the chase. Ha!!! My kinda gal!!! The stipulation of being adopted into my family, of course, means you'd have to move to within 3 miles of me. And learn to talk sweet. (You don't have to MEAN it, you just have to SPEAK it.). The good news is you NEVER have to eat Brussels sprouts, chopped liver or rutabagas. The bad news is I know you have digestion issues; you won't last a week with our diet. Sooooo...I'ma need you to sign this little piece of paper...right there on that line. Bless your heart.

Woooo, those shoes are too cha-cha for words!

Well, what size do you wear?

I wear a 6, but a 7 feels so good I usually buy an 8.

These are a 9.

PERRRRRR-fect!!!

• Love 5

MA AND PA KETTLE movies are on TCM turner classic movie channel now.  Looks like they are showing three of them.  Now there's a nice big family, with lots and lots of kids.

Somepity, Pick Me, Pick Me.  I love to eat early.  I can make up depression stories and war stories.  I'm lonely.

Who's a Good Boy?  Mikey is a good boy.  Everybody knows that.!!!

Well, c'mon right over, Micks Picks !!! We can have an early dinner (I made orange-glazed chicken, rosemary potatoes, and zucchini and squash with a balsamic dressing tonight) and settle down for a movie marathon ! It's so funny that you brought up TCM, as I've been bingeing on old movies lately like a cray woman ! I've watched African Queen, Hombre, Dirty Dozen, The Great Escape, Good Heavens Mr. Allison, Arsenic and Old Lace, and now have Passage West cued up on Amazon Prime.

Even funnier is when I mentioned to my nephew that I was watching old movies he replied "Me, too !" and then went on to list "Uncle Buck" and "Weekend at Bernie's".  Good Lord, if those are "old" movies then I must be ancient !  

And I'm very sorry that you're lonely. It may be small consolation, but you have all of us weirdos here to keep you company  ;)

• Love 8

Umm... I'm available for adoption... I'm in my early 30's I will give you TWO grand dogs, I love being fed homemade food, I am a huge fan of air conditioning and running water so chances are I will not leave the country. I am self sufficient so I just need love and maybe the occasional motivational speech.

Happy has enough daughters. I have none. Pack your bags sweetie...you're comin to Canada! Lol
  • Love 5

Some Pity and Mary's Wet Bar, we hit a triple.  The dogs would get on great.  Mine also must have air conditioning, fans in winter, must have moving air.  I love the movies mentioned, and like Buffy the movie too.  Enjoy these Ma and Pa Duggar movies tonight.  Lazy husband, and ma disciplines by swinging her arms and seeing who she hits while the kids scatter.  They eat at a big table with the meat on a serving platter, potatoes and veg in a bowl, and real plates and forks.  Manners are much to be desired.  But dearly love these movies.

• Love 2

At a hospitals CCU waiting room, my BIL had a bit of a downturn late last night. His bypass surgery is scheduled for Friday. I drove my sister to the hospital she has night blindness, and right before the hospital called she had taken a sleeping pill.

Edited by BrianJ62
  • Love 2

At a hospitals CCU waiting room, my BIL had a bit of a downturn late last night. His bypass surgery is scheduled for Friday. I drove my sister to the hospital she has night blindness, and right before the hospital called she had taken a sleeping pill.

Gosh Brian - that sounds like a heavy load. I hope things turn out okay. Mr looleyloo had a heart attack 2.5 years ago. Had a stent. Then a failed stent procedure. Then bypass surgery. And then every complication known to man including a sternal wound infection with a mycobacterium. But today he is healthy. I know your brother in law has other extenuating circumstances but that doesn't mean all this can't end on a good note. Am hoping so.

• Love 4

Brian, sorry to hear about the turn but hopefully he will make an "up" turn soon. Doesn't it seem like hospital waiting rooms, especially CCU/ICU are an alternate universe at night? Hopefully he will become stable so Friday's surgery does not get postponed. - And a quick thank you to whoever recommended Earth Clinic (last week?- I can't find the post). My pediatrician recommended a natural supplement for our youngest and EC was one of the resources I used to become comfortable with her taking it. Much appreciated that you shared it!

• Love 2

Gosh Brian - that sounds like a heavy load. I hope things turn out okay. Mr looleyloo had a heart attack 2.5 years ago. Had a stent. Then a failed stent procedure. Then bypass surgery. And then every complication known to man including a sternal wound infection with a mycobacterium. But today he is healthy. I know your brother in law has other extenuating circumstances but that doesn't mean all this can't end on a good note. Am hoping so.

Ty for the kind words

Brian, sorry to hear about the turn but hopefully he will make an "up" turn soon. Doesn't it seem like hospital waiting rooms, especially CCU/ICU are an alternate universe at night? Hopefully he will become stable so Friday's surgery does not get postponed. - And a quick thank you to whoever recommended Earth Clinic (last week?- I can't find the post). My pediatrician recommended a natural supplement for our youngest and EC was one of the resources I used to become comfortable with her taking it. Much appreciated that you shared it!

Thank You

• Love 1

Leighroda, I'm old enough to be your mom, so I will adopt you, while someone else can adopt ME. All dogs are welcome, of course, to play with my big, drooling, goofball doggie, I'm a pretty good cook (tomorrow is homemade lasagna and garlic bread !), have air conditioning, and will only ask that you help me take out the garbage and recycling once a week because it's heavy and I'm old - the bones in my knees are like glass and piano wire at this point, so there's your "jurisdiction" haha...

Happy has enough daughters. I have none. Pack your bags sweetie...you're comin to Canada! Lol

MarysWetBar, can we split custody, please ? She can have dual citizenship !

Some Pity and Mary's Wet Bar, we hit a triple.  The dogs would get on great.  Mine also must have air conditioning, fans in winter, must have moving air.  I love the movies mentioned, and like Buffy the movie too.  Enjoy these Ma and Pa Duggar movies tonight.  Lazy husband, and ma disciplines by swinging her arms and seeing who she hits while the kids scatter.  They eat at a big table with the meat on a serving platter, potatoes and veg in a bowl, and real plates and forks.  Manners are much to be desired.  But dearly love these movies.

Oh, MicksPicks, you're such a hoot ! We can all adopt each other and start a PTV commune - I have enough real dishes and flatware to serve an army, I'm used to serving 20+ people at a time (I make chili in a pot that I stir with an oar !) and I have Netflix and Amazon so we can watch alllllll of the old movies we want ! Next up on my list is The Treasure of the Sierra Madre...

• Love 9

I LOVE Canada!  Adopt me!

Checking in after what, a month almost?

Stress and memory, oh yea, it's a problem.  I had to have lists with me the last three weeks because everything went in one ear and out the other.  We are gonna have issues with the will and estate, two of us are of one mind and the third is off on another planet.  Thankfully, Thanksgiving was without the third and my lass came home from college and we all had fun.  We gave ourselves permission and did it.

The memorial was Sunday, we postponed it so that my lass would be there to say farewell to her Nana.  I did the program, all the music and photo stuff and it all went off without a hitch.  It was strange because I must have reached acceptance somewhere between the shock and the memorial so I wasn't processing the "I'm sorries" very well.  Or maybe I'm just still a bit numb.

Now the dilemma of Christmas lies ahead of us. Ack.

Hugs for all with troubles and losses and good golly Jellybeans, 2016 has to be a better year for you.

Next, so glad you checked in - I remembered that the memorial service was this past weekend and have been thinking about you a lot.  So many hugs for you.  <3

Rocky, you are one handsome doggie.  Good boy!

• Love 3

MicksPicks, did you ever read the book " The egg and I"? The Kettles were based on a faimly from the book.

If you ever find yourself near Port Townsend, WA ("Town"), you can take a short drive on Egg & I Road and see more or less where the farm was. Gorgeous part of the world.

Big congrats, HFC!

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 3

HFC, thinking positive thoughts for a quick and easy delivery and can't wait to hear the name!

Joe Jitsu913, that's rough. It's so hard when a nasty person reaches the end of their life and then suddenly expects everyone to just forget all of the horrible things they've done and rally around them. I'm 70% cold hearted bitch and 30% gooey Cadbury creme egg, so it's always an internal struggle for me to suck it up, play nice and be charitable with people like that. Her kids sound like nasty pieces of work, too.

• Love 2

HFC, thinking positive thoughts for a quick and easy delivery and can't wait to hear the name!

Joe Jitsu913, that's rough. It's so hard when a nasty person reaches the end of their life and then suddenly expects everyone to just forget all of the horrible things they've done and rally around them. I'm 70% cold hearted bitch and 30% gooey Cadbury creme egg, so it's always an internal struggle for me to suck it up, play nice and be charitable with people like that. Her kids sound like nasty pieces of work, too.

Yep, you're right- My cousins are grifters who have also stolen from my now deceased grandmother as well. Of course, my sickly aunt defends their actions, while failing to see that they're doing the same to her. This brings up negative feelings leftover from my grandmother's death. Which is why I'm venting, I guess. All three of them make me so angry. If they were all plowed over by a car, I would not shed any tears at their funerals.

I feel like I'm being petty, but I can't help it.

• Love 8

I believe the entire thread would adopt you.

My BIL heart is being moved up from Friday til tomorrow, his Troponin (cardiac enzyme) increased since last night.

I am just so sorry

• Love 4

I'M GETTING A BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are at hospital, dilated to 7. I'm on my way. I'll let you know when she gets here!!! It's my Daddy's birthday!!! We DID it!!!

Oh how exciting. What a good little baby to have her birthday today! Wishes for a speedy and easy delivery. Hugs!

• Love 4

Prayers for Brian's BIL and HFC's DIL that everything goes smooth and everyone is happy and healthy in the end. - And in other news I finally made my neuro appt. regarding my memory issues. *big sigh* It's about a month away but I am resolved to face reality in the New Year.

• Love 4

I've been to Port Townsend and did not know that a place there was associated with the Kettle movies.  I'd surely have gone.  I made a stop at the town associated with Northern Exposure, only miles and miles out of the way, to go to the bar and see the building used as the exterior of the radio station.  Also met several other people who did the same and were there taking pictures.  Crazy people, the bunch of us, but having a good time.

• Love 5

My sister and I used to love the theme song to Northern Exposure. I think it came on at our bedtime as kids, but we were allowed to stay up and watch the opening credits with the moose (?) walking through town. 

I'm not old enough to adopt anyone on this forum as a child or grandchild,  but if anyone is in the market for a close friend, I'm in. I work from home and live in a smallish town. I moved in with my husband just before we got married a few years ago, and I haven't made any friends here. I have friends who live an hour or so away, but I almost never see or talk to them. My early adulthood was a dramatic mess of single life and battling depression right when a lot of my friends were getting married and starting families so I lost them due to normal drifting apart. Then I made single fun friends and drifted from them when I got married and had kids. I miss having a best friend to come over and watch movies in pjs with me or to go shopping,  even if it's just a quick errand run to Target or somewhere. I miss having someone aside from my husband to talk about my day with. I feel like that close friend bond is missing in my life and I feel lonely some of the time. I know that sounds silly since I'm married with kids, but it's not quite the same as having a close friend or two. So there's my vent for the day :-)

ETA: congratulations HFC! We have a Kenna in my extended family. What a smart little girl, choosing to be born today!

Edited by Jenniferbug
  • Love 12

My sister and I used to love the theme song to Northern Exposure. I think it came on at our bedtime as kids, but we were allowed to stay up and watch the opening credits with the moose (?) walking through town. 

I'm not old enough to adopt anyone on this forum as a child or grandchild,  but if anyone is in the market for a close friend, I'm in. I work from home and live in a smallish town. I moved in with my husband just before we got married a few years ago, and I haven't made any friends here. I have friends who live an hour or so away, but I almost never see or talk to them. My early adulthood was a dramatic mess of single life and battling depression right when a lot of my friends were getting married and starting families so I lost them due to normal drifting apart. Then I made single fun friends and drifted from them when I got married and had kids. I miss having a best friend to come over and watch movies in pjs with me or to go shopping,  even if it's just a quick errand run to Target or somewhere. I miss having someone aside from my husband to talk about my day with. I feel like that close friend bond is missing in my life and I feel lonely some of the time. I know that sounds silly since I'm married with kids, but it's not quite the same as having a close friend or two. So there's my vent for the day :-)

ETA: congratulations HFC! We have a Kenna in my extended family. What a smart little girl, choosing to be born today!

Consider yourself adopted Jbug! Maybe I can be your Auntie.

Congrats HFC! I gotta say I'm a sucker for the miracle of birth. Keep shining!

• Love 4

She's here and she's beautiful!!! I'm emoting sunshine and moonbeams like lasers all over the place. I am one HAPPY FAT CHICK today!!! It makes my heart sing to know she was born on daddy's bday! Good girl!!!

Her name is Kenna Grace, and she weighs 8.4 lbs, is 21 inches, and has curly blond hair. I love her to the moon and back and haven't even held her yet! I wish I had captured my son tearing up about her being born in THIS day. If she'd been born last week, it wouldn't have been a deal breaker - but THIS day...this one is making Great Paw Paw do a happy dance in heaven.

The mom is a FB lover, posts something almost every day. So when my other DIL asked if she could post it, I said no, please don't, don't steal her thunder. However, when the baby Mama DID post (about 3 minutes after the birth), she typo'd Kenna's name. Hahaha!!! I betcha there are people reading and saying, "Kemna is a really odd name choice; it's kinda hard to say!"

Congrats, Happy! Wonderful, wonderful news. Amid all the bad news, there is Something Good. And that she was sent to you on your Dad's birthday, and her Great Grandpa's birthday, is best of all. Here's to a long, happy and very healthy life for your new little peanut...

• Love 3