Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Three Turkeys

Phil cooks for Thanksgiving and enlists Luke as his sous-chef, but Claire secretly prepares another turkey when she doesn't trust them to get the job done. Meanwhile, Jay and Gloria's holiday travel plans fall through, though they come to regret not telling anyone about it; and Cameron comes up with an unusual idea to make Lily wear a dress for dinner.

Dear Hollywood writers,

A cooking turkey fills the entire house with the aroma. I realize odds are none of you have ever cooked one before, but surely you remember that delicious aroma when your mother did it.

Alex and Phil would have smelled Claire's garage turkey, the family would have smelled Jay's tiny turkey when they walked in his house.

Just sayin'.

Nice to see Mitchell finally laying down the law with Lily (and Cam); some discipline there was long overdue. And speaking of overdue, of course they had to overdo it.

• Love 13

Phil was listening to cooking instructions from a sexy female voice with a British accent, so I thought of Nigella Lawson.

Then, incredibly, a commercial came on for The Taste with Nigella Lawson!  Co-incidence or a clever/evil plan by some mastermind at ABC?

• Love 1

Whatever happened to Thanksgiving being Cam and Mitch's holiday? There was an episode early on when Claire said that Halloween was so important to her because Jay and Gloria always host Christmas, and Mitch and Cam always have Thanksgiving at their place.

Phil was listening to cooking instructions from a sexy female voice with a British accent, so I thought of Nigella Lawson.

It was Nigella Lawson giving the cooking instructions - Phil said so.

• Love 2

Well, it was better than the last three shows combined!  I'm a sucker for any show that has actual Thanksgiving food served.  But totally correct point about the turkey aroma.  The house would have been quite fragrant! 

I think the separate casts must all have had two weeks off when the past three episodes were filming, with one cast shooting all of its scenes for the preceding three episodes within one week, then cycling off.  Man, Luke is looking like Tom Hanks in "Big"!  (That is, the kid who played Tom Hanks as a kid!) 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2

Well, dammit, I'm a sucker for holiday eppys that are not sad or sappy.

The farce factor was on overdrive and I, too, wondered about the aroma.

Also, why would Jay put his little turkey in the bottom oven in his own home? And why would Phil reach into the bottom oven if he were the only chef in the Jay's kitchen(or so Phil thought.) Phil  would have also used the top oven (likely?) not the bottom one. Or did I miss something?

I like Manny and the perv thing and I liked that Jay et al wanted to hide from family. "HOLA! from Mexico!"

But did the actor who plays Manny really grab the actress who plays Haley's boob? Awkward.

LA TRANQUILA!

• Love 1

It was funny but it was like the writers were trying to hard on a few factors. First there is the entire turkey aroma that has been mentioned by almost everyone. No way people would have just walked into the house or not noticed that there was a turkey being cooked. Also, with Hailey bringing up Manny's crush on her that has been barely touched on since season 2. Now, she just brings it up out of the blue. I was with Manny on that, he kept putting himself in awkward situations and was admitting he has moved on from that 13 year old. It was like how Luke finally got over the entire "uncle" talk back in season 1. Now, they act like buds now. I also didn't get the entire top oven/bottom oven mix up. It made no sense especially when you know Phil was cooking and in charge of the kitchen from the first scene. Also, Phil has proven time and time again he can really cook up a great meal and here Claire was acting like he didn't know anything. Also made no sense Claire said it was her Holiday. Cam and Mitchell have been doing it since day 1 but was so glad that Mitchell laid down how Cam has let Lily get away with everyone. Even with his over the top attitude and wanting Lily to be the best, he hasn't put up with her crap at all the last few years. 

Hated Jay's line about why they were hiding out. It was like the writers were saying: "See, they have been hanging out off screen, we don't have to show it." "Get over and keep watching out show!" "Hey remember how Manny had a thing for Hailey five years ago?" "No, we do and we are going to bring it up for the first time in years." 

Many people have already covered some of the giant plotholes I could have driven my car through:

Why did no one smell Jay's small turkey or Claire's back-up turkey?

Why did Phil go to grab his turkey out of the lower oven when it was cooking in the upper oven?

Thanksgiving is Cam and Mitchell's holiday, so....they now say it was normally Claire's holiday?

Finally, Mitchell calls Cam out on his horrible parenting style. The writers have destroyed the Cam character and this episode was no different. Since Cam's world is all about Cam, of course he can't discipline his child, she might get mad at him! I hope every episode that Mitchell packs up his Prius and leaves Cam. I am indifferent on if he takes Lily with him.

The only bit I did like was Gloria being nicknamed La Tranquila, "the quiet one".

• Love 2

So where exactly do you buy a turkey that can be cooked without emanating any smell and also remain perfectly cool to the touch so you can pick it up with bare or barely-covered hands?

I'm not really a supporter of corporal punishment, but I'd clock Lily in a heartbeat.

• Love 3

I thought this was one of the better ones this season, comparable to the Vegas episode last year, my favorite of the season. 

I am glad they have toned down Manny's weirdnesss/quirkiness and made him more like a typical teenager. 

I think its realistic the type of person lilly's is becoming with that attitude, though not because of just Cam.  I don't view Cam or Mitch or ideal role models for her.  Both have their problems.  Yes, she is a bratty little know it all much of the time. 

Many people have already covered some of the giant plotholes I could have driven my car through:

Why did no one smell Jay's small turkey or Claire's back-up turkey?

Why did Phil go to grab his turkey out of the lower oven when it was cooking in the upper oven?

Thanksgiving is Cam and Mitchell's holiday, so....they now say it was normally Claire's holiday?

Finally, Mitchell calls Cam out on his horrible parenting style. The writers have destroyed the Cam character and this episode was no different. Since Cam's world is all about Cam, of course he can't discipline his child, she might get mad at him! I hope every episode that Mitchell packs up his Prius and leaves Cam. I am indifferent on if he takes Lily with him.

The only bit I did like was Gloria being nicknamed La Tranquila, "the quiet one".

In regard to whose holiday it is, part of the problem with this family is many of them are completely possessive and selfish about Holiday and petty things like this. 

Also just the title make me think of the very well done Mad Men episode Three Sundays, though I am sure its a coincidence. 

Edited by DrSpaceman

Lily has fully grown into a spoiled, aggravating little brat. That is mostly Cam's doing, unsurprisingly. Maybe Mitch can divorce Cam and get back together with Teddy.

Funny episode. I love Alex's disdainful mutters and her "I've never felt more alive" during the turkey caper.

Edited by CleoCaesar

Dear Hollywood writers,

A cooking turkey fills the entire house with the aroma. I realize odds are none of you have ever cooked one before, but surely you remember that delicious aroma when your mother did it.

Alex and Phil would have smelled Claire's garage turkey, the family would have smelled Jay's tiny turkey when they walked in his house.

Just sayin'.

I'd think that if Claire started cooking her Turkey around the same time that Phil started cooking his; everyone else would have just assumed they were smelling Phil's turkey.

Likewise, they brought their own (partially cooked) turkey with them to Jay's and quickly stuck it in the oven, and would have chalked up the turkey smell to that.

• Love 9

I'm not really a supporter of corporal punishment, but I'd clock Lily in a heartbeat.

She is a little brat, isn't she?  I've thought for the last 2 seasons that the writers are trying to have funny things come out of her mouth, but she just sounds smart-alackey.  

I kept thinking back to the Frasier episode where Niles is cooking the turkey at Lilith's and she and Frasier take it out of the oven to bring to the headmaster of the school they want their kid (name???) to attend.  Much funnier. 

While I saw a little of the Modern Family that I love last night - a little too over the top and silly.   I get a sense the writers have stopped trying.

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 1

I'd think that if Claire started cooking her Turkey around the same time that Phil started cooking his; everyone else would have just assumed they were smelling Phil's turkey.

That's the thing, Claire's turkey looked half way done when she revealed it to Alex and Phil was busy still dressing his up with his iPhone App. It was just the fact that everyone walked into Jay and Gloria's and no one noticed that really made no sense. Not to mention why Phil grabbed the turkey from the bottom. Especially when it was shoved in there to begin with since Gloria and Jay knew Phil's was cooking on the top. Why would Phil grab it from the bottom, especially when the upper oven had a light on and the other didn't?

She is a little brat, isn't she?  I've thought for the last 2 seasons that the writers are trying to have funny things come out of her mouth, but she just sounds smart-alackey.

Oh, she's even gone beyond smart-alecky. She's just a bitch. Mean to say that about a child but she's fictional so I can say it. Lily's a bitch.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 6

So does Manny speak Spanish or not? 

I quite liked this episode, but maybe my expectations were lowered due to the past few episodes. It was nice to see the entire family together. And Joe is a cutie.

OK. Overhearing the misunderstood conversation has been a sitcom staple since the beginning of TV, but I still enjoyed Gloria thinking Cam and Mitch were talking about her.

• Love 3

Not to mention why Phil grabbed the turkey from the bottom. Especially when it was shoved in there to begin with since Gloria and Jay knew Phil's was cooking on the top. Why would Phil grab it from the bottom, especially when the upper oven had a light on and the other didn't?

You have your timelines wrong- Gloria and Jay began cooking their turkey before the other family came over, when their turkey went in, both oven's were free. Jay put the little turkey into the bottom oven to enjoy together before the other family came over at all.  Gloria did not know it was in the bottom oven, so when she grabbed the turkey out of the oven (to throw away), she opened the top oven and that was how she accidentally grabbed Phil's.  Likewise, LUKE put Phil's turkey in the top oven, so Phil did not know it should have been in there when he opened the bottom oven and found the tiny turkey, thinking his dried up and shrunk. Luke is an idiot so I could see how he didn't notice the other light was on, and it was just chance he picked the empty oven.

I assume no one noticed the cooking turkey smell because they were carrying in their own mostly cooked turkey.

To me, all that was well done.

Also- I blocked out the Manny/Haley plot. That was painful.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 3

I think they should have done more with the idea that Claire and Alex were going to act like the dumb, irresponsible ones while Phil and Luke were actually taking care of things for once. That could have been a fun plot for an episode.

That's the thing, Claire's turkey looked half way done when she revealed it to Alex and Phil was busy still dressing his up with his iPhone App. It was just the fact that everyone walked into Jay and Gloria's and no one noticed that really made no sense. Not to mention why Phil grabbed the turkey from the bottom. Especially when it was shoved in there to begin with since Gloria and Jay knew Phil's was cooking on the top. Why would Phil grab it from the bottom, especially when the upper oven had a light on and the other didn't?

You're right, it doesn't make much sense. I mean, Claire's was in the garage, so ... maybe.

I think the walking in to Jay and Gloria's makes sense, they've been around turkey smell all day (double turkey smell) and were carrying their own turkey. I don't think that I'd register that there was even more turkey smell on top of what they were used to.

Phil reaching for the bottom oven first was a big contrivance though.

I did think about the turkey aroma, but since I ended up enjoying this ep, I don't mind that plot hole. 

I loved Gloria and Jay having to keep hiding from their family. I loved their overhearing and misunderstanding when Mitchell and Cam were talking about Lily. I think Sofia Vergara is fantastic. For me, every joke she does lands.

I thought the Manny and Haley stuff was funny, particularly the lines, like in the car when Manny accidentally puts his hand on Haley's boob, then Haley yells at the other car, "Why didn't you just honk?!" and Manny says, "Wouldn't that have made it worse?... Oh." I also liked when Haley pulled the red panties out of Manny's hand, and he said, "Ta da?" And finally when he kissed her, the look he gave to the camera was great.

Lily has been irritating me for a long time, and now I really really hope that she starts to change. I fear not, but I still hope.

There was one line I couldn't make out. When Jay and Gloria are in the bedroom, it sounded like he said, "Joe's playing with his H." Playing with his H? I must have heard that wrong.

• Love 5

There was one line I couldn't make out. When Jay and Gloria are in the bedroom, it sounded like he said, "Joe's playing with his H." Playing with his H? I must have heard that wrong.

Joe was playing with a toy block that had the letter "H" printed on it. I had to rewind to figure out what Jay said too.

I think the biggest contrivance is that Gloria didn't realize that the huge turkey was different from the one Jay brought over.

All the broad misunderstandings were hilarious the first-run through.  However, many do not stand up to scrunity (Jay is fine with his children taking over his house while he is gone with not so much as a text of explanation?)  It makes me appreciate once again all the capers on the I Love Lucy show.  They are timeless and hold up to logic (as defined by the show) even 60 years later.

I love how this show breaks the fourth wall (the characters sit on the couch and speak right into the camera.)  This episode, I loved how they broke it even further by Haley essentially informing the audience there would be no Christmas episode.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2

I love how this show breaks the fourth wall (the characters sit on the couch and speak right into the camera.) 

The premise is that the family is being filmed for a documentary. But, who is supposed to be filming it?

A fairly good farce episode. I liked Lilly falling over due to the turkey-filled backpack. She nailed it.

I thought it was mediocre farce at best, especially compared to the Vegas episode. The 3 turkey set up was just not funny enough to begin with. It was well staged, but didn't really care who found out about what, which is the set up of good farce for me.

But Lily falling over was good.

I don't think there was ever really a documentary premise despite them talking to the camera in some scenes. Its simply a device used to help with the story.

From this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/fashion/23THISLIFE.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The refraction of technology is part of a larger element: the bifurcation of how people act. “Modern Family” is the first family show to be filmed as a “mockumentary,” an approach its creators trace to Woody Allen’s “Take the Money and Run,” but which is better known from “The Office.”

Originally “Modern Family” centered on a Dutch filmmaker who had been an exchange student with the Pritchetts in high school. The writers dropped the character because he was cumbersome, and, as Mr. Levitan said, “because I don’t like the people who allow cameramen to sit around their house all day while they raise their kids.”

I don't think there was ever really a documentary premise despite them talking to the camera in some scenes. Its simply a device used to help with the story.

The first episode explains about the show being a documentary being filmed, but, like The Office, it's gone on long enough and it's too complete (bedroom scenes?) to be credible. But that's ok, I love the talking head parts best!

Edited by Ms5h

The first episode explains about the show being a documentary being filmed, but, like The Office, it's gone on long enough and it's too complete (bedroom scenes?) to be credible. But that's ok, I love the talking head parts best!

But Modern Family just dropped the idea entirely. There is no explanation of the talking head segments except that it's a television show and the audience just needs to accept it happens.  But the characters themselves are not being filmed for a documentary.

The Office always kept the premise a documentary was being filmed.

• Love 3
There is no explanation of the talking head segments except that it's a television show and the audience just needs to accept it happens.

I love it.  It's like watching a novel where you can get in on the thoughts for your characters.  The best laughs are often told to us on the couch.  My favorite couch scene was when Jay was going to tell his side of the story to the camera and then just waved us off and said nothing.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2

I honestly don't remember if it was mentioned in the first show or not. It may have been an idea in the initial stages of the show and maybe it was mentioned in the first episode, but even if so, it was never developed or mentioned again beyond that first episode. THey never sustained the idea of the documentary even in the first season and simply kept the talking to the camera portion of the show as a story telling device.

The best couch talking heads acting is when one character is talking and the other is giving the Dark Glare of Death to the camera.  Claire does this best, of course!

• Love 1

It wasn't mentioned in the first episode. It was fairly clear from the first season itself, that there is no documentary premise - this is just a way the story is presented. They are basically asides to the audience ala Shakespeare (and the rest of the Elizabethan playwrights? - can't remember if Marlowe put in any), but anyway, it's just the format of the show, there's no in show reason for the format. 

• Love 1

As a big supporter of gay marriage and adoption, I have to say the way they're portraying Lily's upbringing and Mitch and Cam's parenting style is not doing any favors to the gay rights campaign. Mitch and Cam are mostly shown as two hysterical people who are too soft to ever say no and behave like stereotypical flamboyant homosexuals who are all about clothes and style and even when they try to be a bit tough, they end up crying or screaming "oh my god" all the time.

I know this is a comedy and mine is  harsh comment, but I know gay parents and they're not like this at all.

Plus Lily was super annoying this week, it's too much even for comedic purposes. She's turning into a bitchy diva who doesn't have an ounce of child-like sweetness in her. That wouldn't be possible even if she was being raised by Madonna and Mariah Carey.

• Love 2

As a big supporter of gay marriage and adoption, I have to say the way they're portraying Lily's upbringing and Mitch and Cam's parenting style is not doing any favors to the gay rights campaign. Mitch and Cam are mostly shown as two hysterical people who are too soft to ever say no and behave like stereotypical flamboyant homosexuals who are all about clothes and style and even when they try to be a bit tough, they end up crying or screaming "oh my god" all the time.

I know this is a comedy and mine is  harsh comment, but I know gay parents and they're not like this at all.

Plus Lily was super annoying this week, it's too much even for comedic purposes. She's turning into a bitchy diva who doesn't have an ounce of child-like sweetness in her. That wouldn't be possible even if she was being raised by Madonna and Mariah Carey.

Thank you!  As one half of a gay couple, I'm constantly offended at the stereotype they are portraying.  We have no one in our circle who behaves the way these two do.  I would think Jesse Tyler Ferguson, gay in real life, would call them on this bullsh#t portrayal.  And why do all their friends have to have such over-the-top names and personalities?  We have friends with names like Greg, Glen, Dean, ... not a Pepper in the bunch!

Edited by barbarylane
  • Love 3

As a big supporter of gay marriage and adoption, I have to say the way they're portraying Lily's upbringing and Mitch and Cam's parenting style is not doing any favors to the gay rights campaign. 

I roll my eyes at Mitch and Cam too. I would argue though, that doing good things for the gay rights campaign is really not MF's role (and thank goodness for that, otherwise we'd get Glee). But more importantly, why is anyone looking at MF for an accurate portrayal of gays? Or May-December romances and 3 children wasp-y families and real estate agents, for that matter? 

• Love 4

I roll my eyes at Mitch and Cam too. I would argue though, that doing good things for the gay rights campaign is really not MF's role (and thank goodness for that, otherwise we'd get Glee). But more importantly, why is anyone looking at MF for an accurate portrayal of gays? Or May-December romances and 3 children wasp-y families and real estate agents, for that matter?

I think it does make a difference how they are portrayed. One statistic I read a few years back was that Modern Family is one of the top shows among Republicans, which I found surprising considering the political conflicts involved between the show and that demographic. Plus its a popular, critically acclaimed show with many awards. There is a fine line sometimes between caricatures and cliches but Cam in particular far too often is way over that line. No one expects or wants 100% realism but at least a bit of insight into realistic issues and the family life of the unique couples and relationships would be nice.

Plus its not like they (the writers) CAN"T make these changes. They have toned downed Claire's obsessive and controlling nature and they have made Manny much more realistic and less cartoonish, IMO, over the years. Not with Cam though. If anything he is worse than when the show started.

• Love 3

There is a fine line sometimes between caricatures and cliches but Cam in particular far too often is way over that line. No one expects or wants 100% realism but at least a bit of insight into realistic issues and the family life of the unique couples and relationships would be nice.

I can't disagree that Cam has devolved into a tiresome--and possibly even harmful, as you say--cliché. But I find myself wondering what would be left of his character if you took away the stereotype. The stereotype for some time has been pretty much all he is. Take that away, and you're left with…nothing. If the writers are looking to find some substance with which to to build him up from the inside, I don't envy them their task.