Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Mama

What the hell was the purpose of sidelining Crane for the entire episode? Hawley drugs him and goes in his place? Hawley's standing in for Crane now, too? Shall we start calling this show "Sleepy Hawley"?

Random thoughts:

Girl playing Abbie as a child season 1=perfect, looks so much like her it's uncanny

Girl playing Abbie as a child season 2=huh? Looks nothing like her.

Tweet from Orlando Jones about halfway through: "I am loving this episode so far but to be honest, it could use a tad more @TomMison #BestIchabodCraneEva RT if you agree #SleepyHollow"

It's annoying that they keep calling Tarrytown Psychiatric "Tarrytown". Sleepy Hollow is part of a town called Tarrytown, so that would be like residents of Chicago calling Chicago General Hospital "Chicago". It would be confusing at the very least.

It doesn't occur to Katrina at all that she started seeing Abraham's head when he put the necklace on her? She noticed the discolored skin on her neck and shoulder (which, honestly, when she was looking in the mirror I couldn't even discern; I had to infer it was there from her reaction and the earlier scene where Baby Moloch's claw's touched her and the skin there darkened), thinks 'I have to poison this adorable baby', but still doesn't think for even one second about the necklace she knows altered her sight before. (Did we find out before that it won't come off? I don't remember. ). Katrina can't even kill a damned baby right? Now that he's a kid she can't do it? Why not?

Don't even get me started on how the token 'African spell from the white man' rubbed me the wrong way.

So this random crazy murdering woman just accidentally stumbled into the family of one of the future Witnesses and makes mama kill herself? Was crazy nurse ghost supposed to have been sent by Moloch? He has an Army of the Damned and that's what he sends to try to mess with the future Witness and her demon-fighting family?

Hell yes! Frank is out!!!!! Best part of the whole episode!

ETA Don't get me wrong, I was glad to see the Mills sisters kick some ass, but of course they can't do it without Hawley. And while we've been getting too much Crane and no Abbie, I don't want all Abbie no Crane either. The show is about the path the TWO of them are on.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 4

Well this was a great episode!  Color me shocked!  I'm mean, after all that Katrina bullshit.

I'm going to miss Mama Lori :(

I don't think I care very much for Hauley (however you spell it.  I think I've really been referring to him as Faux Sawyer for simplicity's sake and on a sub-conscious level).

Creepy ass demon this episode, too.  I was expecting her to change into some decayed form or what she looked like after she got the chair, but no, she kept her original form.  And the she was a human who did evil rather than some ancient evil made it all the more creepy.

I'm guessing Tom Mison had a prior engagement?

Also, "Wee Baby Moloch" was a rather brief thing.  And, since he's rapidly aging, it'll make killing him much more easier.  Less guilt.  

• Love 4

What the hell was the purpose of sidelining Crane for the entire episode? Hawley drugs him and goes in his place? Hawley's standing in for Crane now, too? Shall we start calling this show "Sleepy Hawley"?

Random thoughts:

Girl playing Abbie as a child season 1=perfect, looks so much like her it's uncanny

Girl playing Abbie as a child season 2=huh? Looks nothing like her.

Tweet from Orlando Jones about halfway through: "I am loving this episode so far but to be honest, it could use a tad more @TomMison #BestIchabodCraneEva RT if you agree #SleepyHollow"

It's annoying that they keep calling Tarrytown Psychiatric "Tarrytown". Sleepy Hollow is part of a town called Tarrytown, so that would be like residents of Chicago calling Chicago General Hospital "Chicago". It would be confusing at the very least.

It doesn't occur to Katrina at all that she started seeing Abraham's head when he put the necklace on her? She noticed the discolored skin on her neck and shoulder (which, honestly, when she was looking in the mirror I couldn't even discern; I had to infer it was there from her reaction and the earlier scene where Baby Moloch's claw's touched her and the skin there darkened), thinks 'I have to poison this adorable baby', but still doesn't think for even one second about the necklace she knows altered her sight before. (Did we find out before that it won't come off? I don't remember. ). Katrina can't even kill a damned baby right? Now that he's a kid she can't do it? Why not?

Don't even get me started on how the token 'African spell from the white man' rubbed me the wrong way.

So this random crazy murdering woman just accidentally stumbled into the family of one of the future Witnesses and makes mama kill herself? Was crazy nurse ghost supposed to have been sent by Moloch? He has an Army of the Damned and that's what he sends to try to mess with the future Witness and her demon-fighting family?

Hell yes! Frank is out!!!!! Best part of the whole episode!

Mama Mills says at the end that Moloch sent the demon nurse after her... In this episode right when she tells Lori she will obey her eyes turn demon black - plus the reason Lori ended up in the psych ward was because Moloch sent demons after her anyway (the scene with the car and monoxide poisoning)...

This episode was the scariest all season.

But still too much Katrina - it kinda ruined it for me - so the writers are still going forward with the whole CFD stuff still... 

Overall I enjoyed the episode - though I do agree with you - why was Crane sidelined?  It kinda didn't make sense - unless Tom Mison really was sick and they just used it in the storyline?  They didn't have Hawley continue his "crush" with Abbie really (not overtly) and there wasn't any tension with Jenny, so it almost makes me think Mison was supposed to feature more heavily but then he got sick?

Or maybe he reached his quota for screen time?  I think shows have contractual stuff sometimes with ensemble casts...

Loved seeing so much Jenny/Irving and Abbie though... but didn't understand the lack of Crane unless Mison was really sick.

I don't think I care very much for Hauley (however you spell it.  I think I've really been referring to him as Faux Sawyer for simplicity's sake and on a sub-conscious level).

I saw someone on tumblr refer to him as "Dollar Store Thor" and I laughed so hard I snorted.  He does kinda look like Thor on the cheap, lol.

ETA:  With the Mills sisters being able to do magic (that WORKS) - the purpose for StruggleWitch is?  ... o.0

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 11

I loved this episode. Jenny and Abbie are so awesome together and it was very satifying to see them find find peace with and for their mother. It was great to finally see some forward movement in Irving's story. It was a good spot of casting with Cynthia Stevenson in the evil nurse role, she does passive-agressive false sweetness so very, very well. it was also a good use of  Hawley, keeping him in the background, where he belongs, handing things to Jenny and Abbie. Abbie can do everything with grace, even be kind in the face of a fierce man-cold.

Katrina was, as per usual, so much whatever. Though it did hurt my heart to see the Brugmansia plant she plucked the blossoms from. I used to have a gorgeous one but left it out to freeze to death over the winter before my son was born because it is such a phenomenally toxic plant. That's right, I care more about long-dead houseplants than I do Katrina and her skin problems.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 5

I find it funny though how Jenny picked up a book and read a spell with success while Katrina was picking flowers.

I wonder if Katrina really isn't long for this show - the show clearly plans on having the Mills militia hold it down from the witchy side.

• Love 2

Fun episode! Things are moving quickly now, especially demon baby growth spurts. I'm just along for the ride, whatever they throw at me. Katrina and Hawley aren't going anywhere, so I'll just sit back and enjoy the pretty. Is next week the finale already?

• Love 1

So are they going to start showing flashbacks to scenes right before the commercial break? Sweet Lord, that was like half flashbacks! I loved the Mills sisters stuff and resented any screen time Katrina stole from them. Will Irving and Ichabod become roommates in the cabin? I wouldn't mind an Odd Couple episode - Ichabod is totally Felix.

• Love 6

Next time just sucker punch me to the heart, show. Ow. This is why Moloch needs to get taken down. He thinks that doing this kind of crap is cool. I'm genuinely upset by what Mama Mills had to endure.

When she told Jenny that she was watching over her in the asylum the whole time, it opened the floodgates.

At least now she's hearing all about Abbie and sharing stories about Jenny with Corbin.

Oh god, can you picture her reaching the other side and Corbin is sitting there with pie waiting?

Edited by JayKay
  • Love 5

I just LOVE Abbie and Jenny's relationship. Love love love. I would watch a webseries that's just those two hashing out their issues, because, ugh. Love their bond to pieces. Abbie/Ichabod is the heart of the show, but Abbie/Jenny is my favorite relationship. Beharie and Greenwood just sell the sisterly bond that has so many issues lying under the surface. Love. Them.

I do feel like Abbie and Jenny should have had way more questions at the end. Like "How did Mama know Abbie was a witness?" Was there some sort of prophecy that was passed down from generation to generation since Grace Dixon? Did the family know it was going to be someone in their bloodline, they just didn't know who/when? Was Lori just taken before she could pass down the knowledge (was everyone initiated at like 18)? Was everyone in their family supposed to be a witch but Lori was a Squib, so she couldn't protect her family? If Moloch was sending people after her, why didn't he try to go after Abbie and Jenny more often? SO many questions I want the answers to, but that may have died with Lori.

Hawley was tolerable tonight, but tonight also reinforced for me that he adds nothing to the show that wasn't already there. He's just not necessary.

Uber Growing Moloch is so so creepy. If Henry's sibling jealousy leads him to betray Moloch, I will cackle. Loudly.

They should have aired this episode Halloween week, because goodness it was creepy. Also, I feel like it was a bit of a weird take a breather episode leading up to the fall finale when the last two were really gearing up for the crazy finish? I really liked the episode, don't get me wrong, but wonder if it would have been better placed elsewhere in the season.

• Love 6

After last 2 weeks and reading the spoiler.tv review which mentioned that of course Katrina/Henry had to play a role in the episode I decided to skip and wait for reviews. Sounds like this one is worth watching, will give it a look tomorrow. Sadly from now on, I'm going to wait for reviews before actually watching.

After these past few episodes,  I had to rub my eyes for a bit, before I could fully comprehend that not only were Frank and Jenny back, but the two and Abbie were all in a scene together.  Miracles can happen!

Good episode.  Glad we finally focused more on the Mills sisters again, and what went down with their mother.  Aunjanue Ellis was good as Mama Mills, as was Cynthia Stevenson as the demon of the week.  I liked that, initially, Abbie was gung-ho about finding her mom and getting answers, but Jenny was freaking out about having to see her again.  It makes sense that Jenny would still have a ton of issues, and wouldn't automatically be happy about being reunited with the ghost of her crazy mom.  But, I liked the final scene, and how both were happy to say good-bye to her.

I do wonder why they sidelined Ichabod to the point, that basically Hawley took his place.  Maybe Tom Mison really was sick or just wanted a few days off?  At least he mainly stayed in the background.  And, I did love his suggestion about seeing if Mama's Mills spell book had a glossary in the back of it.

Best part?  Frank is out!  On the run, sure, but he can finally interact with everyone else again!  Loved it when told Abbie to quit giving him the "aiding a fugitive" look.  I really hope they integrated him back into the group well.

Worst part?  Freaking Katrina and Henry.  Of course, Katrina would be a moronic enough to get tricked that easily, and get infected by Baby Moloch.  Who apparently as a hell of a growth-spurt.   Yeah, Sleepy Hollow is perfectly safe in her capable hands.

• Love 2

Why did this episode end with the struggle witch & Moloch? That scene should have been flipped to have the show end with Irving getting in the truck. Ugh, enough with the damn CFD.

Abbie, Jenny, & Lori Mills are all bad ass. Loved their scenes, the acting & the emotions they brought.

Overall I did enjoy this episode but it's clear to me that my love affair with this show is over. I wanted to stab Crane when he was making excusesfor Katrina & when he mentioned Abbie's legacy. Crane isn't the type of lead I should love to hate, hate hate or want to punch in the face & stab repeatedly.

I'll still DVR next week's episode and watch when I can. This show may be renewed because Fox is in a bind lineup wise but I will be interested in seeing how many episodes they are green lighted for.

Much better than previous week's but I was disappointed that we got Hawley instead of Ichabod this week.  Once again, Hawley takes the place of a regular, and he really shouldn't.

I laughed at the convenience of Frank running into Abbie's car at the end, but whatever.  I'm just glad he's out.

So baby Moloch is now a child?  That escalated quickly.  Still don't care, though.

Loved Abbie and Jenny's scenes together and it was high time they had a plot that was separate from the Crane family drama.  I actually wanted a little more from Mama Mills, but I'm sure she'll be back.  It felt like they were shoehorning a lot of stuff in; the evil nurse, Lori's issues, Jenny and Abbie's childhood, etc.  

But again, this was a vast improvement.  Irving is out of Tarrytown, and now Abbie and Ichabod have a new tool at their disposal: Lori's journal.  

• Love 2

Worst part?  Freaking Katrina and Henry.  Of course, Katrina would be a moronic enough to get tricked that easily, and get infected by Baby Moloch.  Who apparently as a hell of a growth-spurt.   Yeah, Sleepy Hollow is perfectly safe in her capable hands.

I'm beginning to wonder if the show is trolling us - meaning - Katrina can't do ANYTHING!  I mean - NOTHING!  So the logical part of my brain says that the writers are deliberately doing this to make a point... that Katrina/Jeremy are the past and the longer Ichabod tries to hold onto that, the worse things get.  Katrina is just so so useless... I feel like it HAS to be on purpose...

OR

The writers think using her as a plot device is enough.  For her (few) fans it seems to be enough, but when your love for a character is less about her and more about keeping a couple apart, well, seeing her used as a plot device doesn't matter as her primary job is an Ichabbie-blocker.

• Love 5

This episode was great.

I like Ichabod but I didn't miss him this episode, though his absence seemed really contrived. Having him sidelined for a bit was nice, since I know it was not permanent.

The power of the Mills sisters on screen is like looking at the sun.

That the writers are capable of showing great depths of emotion and love just makes the debacle that is the Cranes that much worse.

• Love 6

Overall I did enjoy this episode but it's clear to me that my love affair with this show is over. I wanted to stab Crane when he was making excusesfor Katrina & when he mentioned Abbie's legacy. Crane isn't the type of lead I should love to hate, hate hate or want to punch in the face & stab repeatedly.

I think Abbie's joke about Ichabod being better once he sleeps was a nice and subtle jab at the "Katrina is sooooo wonderful" stuff from before - it was completely poo poo'd by Abbie's joke.  I literally laughed out loud and was happy to see Crane's delusions dismissed as the claptrap they were.  Especially given Katrina's failure later on... I also think Ichabod is protesting too much - Abbie wasn't even going there and he flipped all out.

Iscove and Wiseman really understand these characters - they need to teach a clinic for the other writers.

This was a good balance of everything... except Ichabod .

It was emotional. I love all the Abbie/Jenny bonding scenes. And the scene of them finding the painting on the wall was very well shot.

It was sad. That last scene with their mother after the seance had me feeling some kinds of way...

It was scary. I hate ghosts. The popping in and out by Mama Mills, the way the living were just flung about like dolls. The creepy hospital.

It left some intriguing seeds. The Mills girls are obvious witches. We got a grimoire...I mean a journal that will probably...hopefully be something major in their fight.

It ended on a very hopeful note. The team is back! Frank is out. For the first time all season that little bit at the end felt like Season 1 again.

I missed Ichabod but I wonder if they had to give Mison a bit of a break. From all reports he gets saddled with a ridiculous amount of dialogue.

I didn't mind Hawley. Again, I think Hawley is fine when he is working with Jenny. I thought the use of him was judicious. He wasn't intrusive as this was very much a Mills Sister joint, but he was necessary muscle. And honestly, as much as I love Ichabod, I think his presence would have detracted a bit from the necessary focus on Jenny & Abbie is he were there. Hawley is much easier to have as background. And I thought he was respectful, standing back and letting the sisters do their thing, pitching in when he was needed.

Whoever is doing hair needs a raise. Everybody's hair was looking fab. Even Mama Lorie during her especially crazy moments, still had a pretty damned nice blow-out. Young Abbie's natural hair was super fab.

Katrina is being suborned by darkness and Jenny will be team WTF's resident Witch. At least this is my hope. Katrina -- skilled operative that she is -- is so in over her head.

Next week looks insane! Insanely good. Abbie, Ichabod, Jenny, Irving and Hawley could be a fantastic team to begin to really fight this thing. Come on, make it happen!!

• Love 11
I also think Ichabod is protesting too much - Abbie wasn't even going there and he flipped all out.

Oh definitely. Again, the writers are continuing to plant seeds that things are not nearly as okay in the Crane marriage as both Ichabod and Katrina vehemently insist that they are.

• Love 5

Now that Frank has busted out of the psych ward and Jenny is around again, then MAYBE we have a solid arc going into the home stretch.    

Ichie being a whiny baby about being sick was pretty amusing.  Katrina doing...mostly anything wasn't.  

Finally a great episode, the group getting back together. Sister duo with Hawley on the side and barely any Katrina. Good show!

I didn't miss Crane like I probably should have, because I was loving the Abbie&family reunion plus Irving. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 6

This was a good balance of everything... except Ichabod .

It was emotional. I love all the Abbie/Jenny bonding scenes. And the scene of them finding the painting on the wall was very well shot.

It was sad. That last scene with their mother after the seance had me feeling some kinds of way...

It was scary. I hate ghosts. The popping in and out by Mama Mills, the way the living were just flung about like dolls. The creepy hospital.

It left some intriguing seeds. The Mills girls are obvious witches. We got a grimoire...I mean a journal that will probably...hopefully be something major in their fight.

It ended on a very hopeful note. The team is back! Frank is out. For the first time all season that little bit at the end felt like Season 1 again.

I missed Ichabod but I wonder if they had to give Mison a bit of a break. From all reports he gets saddled with a ridiculous amount of dialogue.

I didn't mind Hawley. Again, I think Hawley is fine when he is working with Jenny. I thought the use of him was judicious. He wasn't intrusive as this was very much a Mills Sister joint, but he was necessary muscle. And honestly, as much as I love Ichabod, I think his presence would have detracted a bit from the necessary focus on Jenny & Abbie is he were there. Hawley is much easier to have as background. And I thought he was respectful, standing back and letting the sisters do their thing, pitching in when he was needed.

Whoever is doing hair needs a raise. Everybody's hair was looking fab. Even Mama Lorie during her especially crazy moments, still had a pretty damned nice blow-out. Young Abbie's natural hair was super fab.

Katrina is being suborned by darkness and Jenny will be team WTF's resident Witch. At least this is my hope. Katrina -- skilled operative that she is -- is so in over her head.

Next week looks insane! Insanely good. Abbie, Ichabod, Jenny, Irving and Hawley could be a fantastic team to begin to really fight this thing. Come on, make it happen!!

I agree with you.  I don't mind Hawley too much as long as Jenny and Irving aren't sidelined.  And I agree that he does background better than Crane - who would kinda take over... lol.  He did seem really upset that Abbie replaced him with Hawley... he was Crankabod this episode, lol.  And Sickabod.  Heh.

This episode would make me feel like they'd gotten back on track - but I just don't trust the writers.  This episode was by Wiseman and Iscove, right?  They are S1 writers - they get it.  It's the eppies written by the other writers that don't work... 

Come on show!

Did we really need to see Lambert beat Lori Mlls like she ran off the Plantation?

While screaming for her to eh, obey?

Oh... crap.  That did happen, didn't it.  >.<

• Love 1

I saw someone on tumblr refer to him as "Dollar Store Thor" and I laughed so hard I snorted.  He does kinda look like Thor on the cheap, lol.

Bwahaha!  That's my new name for him.  

I actually thought Abbie called Hawley to look after Ichabod while she and Jenny researched what was going on.  Because Hawley really didn't need to be there, other than restraining Frank for a minute.

I nearly choked up at the drawing of Abbie and Jenny on Lori's wall.  We need more moments like those, show.

• Love 1

Very much enjoyed this episode.  It was nice to see Jenny and Frank so heavily involved and glad Frank has FINALLY gotten out of the mental institution.  Also glad that Henry wasn't the evil force behind this week's monster.

• Love 1

This could have been the perfect episode, but, as always, Katrina ruins everything, so I'll have to deduct a couple of points.

This was more like it. Best episode of the season and the series so far. Nicole and Lyndie are amazing together and the show is missing out not focusing on them as the true two Witnesses. Their emotional scenes ring so much more true, than anything the Cranes have done so far, it's ridiculous they keep forcing the CFD on me. The Mills sisters are the heart of the show.

So the Mills sisters are witches, which makes StruggleWitch even more obsolete and redundant than she already was! It's time to nurture those powers and take down Henry (Moloch is demonic cute, he can stay) and Katrina can do something useful to the plot for once, like die.

The show also keeps proving Abbie doesn't need Ichy for anything. He's as useless and annoying as his wife. He can go too.

Even though I like Nick, he's overstayed his welcome. Either let him walk around shirtless or kill him off.

• Love 1

I think Abbie's joke about Ichabod being better once he sleeps was a nice and subtle jab at the "Katrina is sooooo wonderful" stuff from before - it was completely poo poo'd by Abbie's joke.  I literally laughed out loud and was happy to see Crane's delusions dismissed as the claptrap they were.  Especially given Katrina's failure later on... I also think Ichabod is protesting too much - Abbie wasn't even going there and he flipped all out.

Iscove and Wiseman really understand these characters - they need to teach a clinic for the other writers.

I have to apologize - I thought Iscove and Wiseman wrote this episode ( I guess I was confused the way IMDB had written the synopsis). It looks like Damian Kindler actually wrote the episode, per the comments on twitter.

I loved this episode. Jenny and Abbie are so awesome together and it was very satifying to see them find find peace with and for their mother. It was great to finally see some forward movement in Irving's story. It was a good spot of casting with Cynthia Stevenson in the evil nurse role, she does passive-agressive false sweetness so very, very well. it was also a good use of Hawley, keeping him in the background, where he belongs, handing things to Jenny and Abbie.

I saw the patient, Walt, trying to cut himself, and of course, Hawley, being the man, had to rush in first to restrain him. Jenny and Abbie hung back, although Jenny came in behind Hawley once he already had the guy pinned down and the danger was over. That was B. S. and ticked me right off. Why did they have to make the two women need Hawley? Why did he have to go at all? They shouldn't have needed him.

What white man? Lori said the spell was in their family journal originally belonging to Grace.

Lori says there's a journal passed down to her from the ancestors. She tells Jenny to go find it. So Jenny and Hawley go to find it. Hawley finds the box, of course, goes right to it. Jenny looks for the spell; Hawley tells Jenny how to find the spell in the book and then she immediately finds it, once he's told her to look for an index (of course, Jenny, who searched the world for supernatural artifacts, needs Hawley to tell her how to read the damned book. )

Jenny reads the spell out. It doesn't work. Not until Hawley tells her 'do it again'. Every step of the way, he is inserted--Jenny needs him to find the book, figure out the book, even to tell her how to cast the spell. Why?

Maybe I'm being nit-picky, but I resent even the episode where we finally get the ass-kicking Mills sisters together, and they need Hawley every freaking step of the way. Why does he have to be shoe-horned in here? Is he somebody's out-of-work kid and he gets paid by the word or something? I just don't want my strong, smart capable women needing this guy out of nowhere in order to get the job done.

(Edited to fix typos and to say I did love this episode. I'd have loved it so much more with Crane and Abbie--the two Witnesses--together and Abbie and Jenny not needing Hawley's help with things they could have absolutely done without him. )

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 6

I was bored. Don't watch this show for the emotion, the sad, but for exciting, funny, fast. Yawn. In the past there would have been twice as much going on. I get if you picked up a script form last seasons and counted scenes that's even literally true.<br /><br />This episode was a cross between last seasons American Horror Story and second season of The 4400. A baby aged overnight, were in a haunted asylum. This is not good.

• Love 1

I'm beginning to wonder if the show is trolling us - meaning - Katrina can't do ANYTHING!  I mean - NOTHING!  So the logical part of my brain says that the writers are deliberately doing this to make a point... that Katrina/Jeremy are the past and the longer Ichabod tries to hold onto that, the worse things get.  Katrina is just so so useless... I feel like it HAS to be on purpose...

YASSSS!!!!!

OR

The writers think using her as a plot device is enough.  For her (few) fans it seems to be enough, but when your love for a character is less about her and more about keeping a couple apart, well, seeing her used as a plot device doesn't matter as her primary job is an Ichabbie-blocker.

But that can only go on for so long.  And hopefully with the low ratings comes the realization that it can't go on for longer than the end of this season.  If viewers think there's going to be more of the same going into Season 3, the rating for next will be even lower, and it may not make it to a season 4.  I hope the showrunners, and Goffman, get what's at risk.  His love of KW, or the longevity of the show.  I hope he picks the show.

Edited by Reese
  • Love 1

I saw the patient, Walt, trying to cut himself, and of course, Hawley, being the man, had to rush in first to restrain him. Jenny and Abbie hung back, although Jenny came in behind Hawley once he already had the guy pinned down and the danger was over. That was B. S. and ticked me right off. Why did they have to make the two women need Hawley? Why did he have to go at all? They shouldn't have needed him.

Lori says there's a journal passed down to her from the ancestors. She tells Jenny to go find it. So Jenny and Hawley go to find it. Hawley finds the box, of course, goes right to it. Jenny looks for the spell; Hawley tells Jenny how to find the spell in the book and then she immediately finds it, once he's told her to look for an index (of course, Jenny, who searched the world for supernatural artifacts, needs Hawley to tell her how to read the damned book. )

Jenny reads the spell out. It doesn't work. Not until Hawley tells her 'do it again'. Every step of the way, he is inserted--Jenny needs him to find the book, figure out the book, even to tell her how to cast the spell. Why?

Maybe I'm being nit-picky, but I resent even the episode where we finally get the ass-kicking Mills sisters together, and they need Hawley every freaking step if the way. Why does he have to be shoe-horned in here? Is he somebody's out-of-work kid and he gets paid by the word or something? I just don't want my strong, smart capable women needing this guy out of nowhere in order to get the job done.

(Edited to fix typos and to say I did love this episode. I'd have loved it so much more with Crane and Abbie--the two Witnesses--together and Abbie and Jenny not needing Hawley's help with things they could have absolutely done without him. )

I definitely took "check the index" as a joke, since personal journals dont actually HAVE indexes, as far as ive ever seen.

Him saying "do it again" for the spell is something everyone says. I dont recall any Sleepy Hollow incantation working the first time.  Its the go to line for bystanders 

• Love 14

I just can't stand Hawley.  The show should have kept Luke since Irving's not available.  Luke could have provided the romantic aspect as far as pining after Abbie, his ex, and he's a detective so that brings in the police angle more which is so lost this season. 

• Love 4

I definitely took "check the index" as a joke, since personal journals dont actually HAVE indexes, as far as ive ever seen.

I did too, thought it was funny, his wanting to check an index for "demonic." lol 

• Love 4

I wasn't crying. I had something in my eye.

My allergies were really acting up until about 5 minutes after the show ended.  *sniff*

I usually don't care about Hawley one way or another but I was pretty happy that he was there to drug Ichabod so we didn't have to hear him blathering on anymore about Katrina (although I would have preferred Ichabod being there to support Abbie so long as Katrina was never mentioned--but the writers didn't ask me).

The only reason this episode didn't sit on my DRV for a week like the past two was because I knew the Mills sisters were featured heavily.  This is the way family drama should be done--no whining or boring love-for-the-ages discussions *cough*Cranes*cough*.  And hooray witches that can actually accomplish something!  I'm cautiously optimistic that things will stay interesting, especially now that Frank is out.

• Love 3

I did too, thought it was funny, his wanting to check an index for "demonic." lol

I assumed, since it wasn't one person's journal, but something "passed down from the ancestors", that it would be more in the nature of a collection someone would have put together out of the writings of many generations (along the lines of the Big Book of Spells from Charmed). I didn't see it as a joke, but time may prove me wrong.

You know, if Ichabod had been there and told Jenny to repeat the spell it wouldn't have bothered me. It's that Hawley has no freaking place in this. (Also he barely let her get out the final word before telling her to say it again, but I assume that was just bad acting, as was his delivery if it was a joke.)

Abbie closed her laptop all of a sudden when Hawley showed up and I expected her to feel this whole thing was too private to share with him after that. But somehow off screen he has been given every detail of what's going on with the Apocolypse. So why did she hurriedly shut the laptop so he wouldn't see?

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 3

I really, really enjoyed this episode ALOT!!...what a vast improvement from the last couple of episodes...we needed to have a some sort of closure for the pain and guilt and angry that the sisters have been feeling for a very long time...and the acting by all three: Abbie, Jenny and Lori Mills was ON POINT!!....kudos to the writer or writers of this episode.

I loved Crane being jealous of Hawley.....me thinks he cares for Abbie more then he will admit. LOL.....and I even could stomach Katrina and Henry this episode ( in small doses it works wonders)...the scooby gang is back together and this episode really felt like S1.. more of this please! LOL

• Love 2