Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Consumed

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

And this may be why they avoid writing casual hookups.  The shipping starts, and they'll be written into a corner.  Even worse, have a character have sex with more than one partner over time.  The slut accusations start up

Exactly. I like what the show is doing now (as opposed to previous seasons). They don't say definitively whether most of the characters are hooking up and let us fill in the blanks in our imaginations. Avoid turning this into a soap opera. Smart.

So the show doesn't show much sex now. Oh, well. Blame it on the fans who had a cow about Lori and Andrea having sexy times with more than one person.

• Love 7

Well, yes, that is of course true, but in comparison to the Governor, the Claimers, and the Termites, I think Noah falls into the 'generally decent' category. Granted, that's really not saying a whole hell of a lot, but standards have been lowered. ;)

I would love to be a fly on the wall of that truck heading to the church though. Heh. Will Daryl just glower in silence the entire way back or will he pump Noah for details in preparation for 'rescue the womenfolk v. 2.0'? :)

Considering that our main heroes ignored a man screaming for help and then came back to scavenge his backpack once he was a corpse, Noah seems decent by those standards.

• Love 5

I don't even know if it's about the female characters having more than one sexual partner. I think it's the fact they had sex outside of marriage that offended a vocal minority (?) of the fandom. I recall some slut-shaming of Maggs before her relationship with Glenn was "sanctified". SIGH. I'll never cease being amazed by what horrifies some people. Humans dismembered, tortured and killed in every conceivable way but Andrea has an adrenaline-fuelled quickie with Shane? That deserves a pearl clutching.

• Love 14

I'll never cease being amazed by what horrifies some people. Humans dismembered, tortured and killed in every conceivable way but Andrea has an adrenaline-fuelled quickie with Shane? That deserves a pearl clutching.

Can you believe it? It never ceases to amaze me either. It seems any woman - like Lori and Andrea -  who has sex and really enjoys it without being married or at least engaged is a whore. Not the men with whom they have sex, just the women.

Watching someone's leg or head being hacked off (RIP, Hershel) is perfectly fine, but an adult woman having healthy, normal sex and loving it? OMG, the horror, the outrage! Hide the children!

• Love 9

Okay, I've seen it mentioned several times now, and it is probably an indication of the depth of my loathing for Andrea, but I have no memory of a Shane/Andrea hookup. When and why did this happen?

Also, question: Daryl told Carol that Beth was tough and saved herself. Oh, how I laughed and laughed. I do not remember Beth ever being tough (except on my nerves), so can someone refresh my memory? I do not have the strength to go back and watch the Fall of Saigon episode, but if memory serves Beth got on the bus then suddenly remembered she was Judith's babysitter and got off to go find her. Then the herd of walkers broke through and she went a'runnin'. Am I missing some point where she was tough and saved herself?

Edited by PunkyMouse
  • Love 4

You know, I have one late-to-the-game observation (more of a question).  Did it seem that everything happened real fast at the END of the episode?  Daryl/Carol "meet" Noah. Then in a quick second, Daryl asks about "a blonde" (kinda like all the blondes were the first to go, so any blonde still alive MUST be the one he's looking for).  Then Carol gets whacked and carted off, and it's then that Noah really spills (quickly) the rest of the beans.

I swear that all happened, like, in a blink of an eye.  Meanwhile, we had the first 95% of the show with Daryl and Carol talking about art and lighting things on fire.

I have no point, except that I wonder if there was a better way to present it all.

• Love 4

Okay, I've seen it mentioned several times now, and it is probably an indication of the depth of my loathing for Andrea, but I have no memory of a Shane/Andrea hookup. When and why did this happen?

Shane and Andrea were in the Prius -- I think they had been looking for Sophia -- after the brush with death of the day. Andrea put her hand on Shane's pants in the general area of Lil Shane and both Big and Lil Shane seemed pleased at the turn of events and they had unremarkable Prius sexytimes and went back to business as usual. Evidently this traumatized America because afterwards the internet exploded with venom at Andrea for "spreading her legs" and "thinking with her crotch". They didn't seem too fussed about Shane doing the same thing, fancy that.

ETA: the day Andrea ruined everything with her vagina

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 12

The Shane and Andrea hook up took place in a car. They had just escaped something, it was kinda like euphoria hook up. But also shortly before Shane went kaput. He had already Otis'd Otis and I think they had Raymond as a prisoner. I sorta thought he maybe got a handjob but who knows. I questioned andrea's taste in men but I don't care if she hooked up. I'm not casting a scandalous eye upon the wimmen's for hooking up but I did think Lori hooked up a little too quick after Rick "died". 

• Love 1
I don't even know if it's about the female characters having more than one sexual partner. I think it's the fact they had sex outside of marriage that offended a vocal minority (?) of the fandom. I recall some slut-shaming of Maggs before her relationship with Glenn was "sanctified". SIGH. I'll never cease being amazed by what horrifies some people. Humans dismembered, tortured and killed in every conceivable way but Andrea has an adrenaline-fuelled quickie with Shane? That deserves a pearl clutching.

Agreed. And I'm actually kind of prudish and traditional where relationshions and relationships are concerned. But I'm also a realist, and I totally understand how people would crave that connection when the world is at an end. The only sexcapade that even remotely bothered me on this show was Andrea with the Governor. And it wasn't because she'd also been with Shane, or because they weren't married - it was because she just seemed completely blind as to who he really was and their entire relationship was a colossal mistake on her point. Just stupid, stupid, stupid. 

• Love 7

For the record, the only 2 times I ever liked Andrea was when she had Prius sex and her escape from the farm. When she died she got my standard *bye Felicia* Way too much postering, show boating and tooting of ones's own horn for my taste

• Love 2

You mean because Noah didn't Evil-Overlord exposition-out his intentions, complete with plenty of gloating about how he's hurt and inconvenienced people and would do so again in a heartbeat? ;)

Yes, precisely. ;)  Also, he didn't say that he couldn't wait to taste Carol *shudder*. My only regret is that Daryl hadn't been around to hear that comment from Gareth. Oh, what I would have paid to witness his reaction to that.

Something I remain confused by - in a Carol flashback, they showed the scene in the church where she looks at the closed door.  I didn't understand the first time either.

I think it was referring to the notion that, even with everyone (except Beth) safe and in a happy place, Carol didn't feel right about being there and was considering running off, looking for her escape route.

Also, question: Daryl told Carol that Beth was tough and saved herself. Oh, how I laughed and laughed. I do not remember Beth ever being tough (except on my nerves), so can someone refresh my memory? I do not have the strength to go back and watch the Fall of Saigon episode, but if memory serves Beth got on the bus then suddenly remembered she was Judith's babysitter and got off to go find her. Then the herd of walkers broke through and she went a'runnin'. Am I missing some point where she was tough and saved herself?

Daryl got her out of the prison, but after that? All I can remember is her stabbing the walker that Daryl was toying with and her running out of the house when the walkers attacked (and ran right into the rent-a-rape-cops). Neither of those really fit the bill for me so I have no clue what he was thinking of when he made that comment. Was she kicking ass at the golf club?

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 1

Daryl got her out of the prison, but after that? All I can remember is her stabbing the walker that Daryl was toying with and her running out of the house when the walkers attacked (and ran right into the rent-a-rape-cops). Neither of those really fit the bill for me so I have no clue what he was thinking of when he made that comment.

I think Daryl saw that she'd grown.  Was she a Rick-gone-nuts-ripping-out-throats?  No.  But she'd grown.  She was far different than the girl he'd first seen at the farm.  The one who tried to commit suicide.  At least, that's what I saw.

• Love 2

I think Daryl saw that she'd grown.  Was she a Rick-gone-nuts-ripping-out-throats?  No.  But she'd grown.  She was far different than the girl he'd first seen at the farm.  The one who tried to commit suicide.  At least, that's what I saw.

Sure and I would agree with that assessment but I don't equate that with "She's tough...she saved herself". The latter part really puzzles me.

If he'd said "she's strong; she's a fighter", I'd understand that comment after their time together.

• Love 3

Sure and I would agree with that assessment but I don't equate that with "She's tough...she saved herself". The latter part really puzzles me.

If he'd said "she's strong; she's a fighter", I'd understand that comment after their time together.

Agreed.  That's our writers for you.

• Love 2

Well, Beth did use that bottle of wine at the country club to kill that one walker.  I guess that could count as "saving herself".  Sorta.  If you half close your eyes and squint.

About the cardboard and paper in the street signifying abandonment - it would read better to me if that cardboard and paper weren't quite so... pristine.  After a year and a half or two years, paper and cardboard left in the street should be dirty grey lumps of pulp.  Not clean white paper and tan cardboard.  That stuff is supposed to have been laying out in the rain and blazing sun for a long time.  Not left on the road since yesterday.  *Snort*

And I've long laughed at the notion of the American tv audience being fine with watching blood and body parts flying about the screen, but showing people having normal sex deserves pearl clutching?  It really does amuse me.

• Love 6

And I've long laughed at the notion of the American tv audience being fine with watching blood and body parts flying about the screen, but showing people having normal sex deserves pearl clutching? 

Pearl clutching - now, that amuses me.

Andrea sex with Shane was more appropriate than Andrea sex with the Governor.

However Shane's sex with Lori was more appropriate than Andrea's sex with the Governor, but less appropriate than sex with Andrea.

Rick and Lori's sex was appropriate but creepy with Carl sleeping so close. I am sure Carl woke up singing, 'ooh smell that smell ooh.'

Abraham and Roseita sex was appropriate also, but it was both creepy and pervy with so many people watching.

Maggie and Glenn's sex is very appropriate because they find privacy. Maggie is probably a loud moaner.

Pearl clutching, I almost went to urban dictionary for that one. Then I decided it meant what it meant.

• Love 1

So we've had six episodes of season five, and as far as I can tell this is what everyone has done so far...

Rick: Killed 1 bad guy

Judith: Nothing

Carl: Nothing

Maggie: Nothing

Glenn: Nothing

Michonne: Nothing

Gabriel: Looked scared

Rosita: Got naked

Tyreese: Looked even more of a wuss, buried a body

Sasha: Flirted with Bob, looked sad

Bob: Be clumsy, get bitten, run off like a wally, die

Daryl: Went to Atlanta chasing a girl

Morgan: Went for a walk

Tara: Checked out Rosita

Eugene: Checked out Rosita, admitted to lying

Beth: Worked in a hospital

Carol: Saved the gang from Terminus, left for Atlanta *exception to the rule, good character development*

I love the show, I really do, but I feel like so far this season other than easily killing last seasons baddies then finding some new dangerous people to replace them, literally nothing interesting has happened.

I hope the show can find a key goal and have each episode work towards this goal somehow (like Lost and 'getting off the island').... I know "saving the human race" is a tall order, and a bit unrealistic, but at least it would give the show a central focus... currently it feels like they are just moving around looking for new people to dislike and eventually kill.

Listen.  I know on these boards we are supposed to agree to disagree.  I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  But you are NOT entitled to your own facts.  And it is a FACT that this season Baby Judith has killed nearly EVERYONE with her Emmy-worthy, ultra badass, cuteness.  Good day to you!  I said, good day, sir!!

• Love 17

I think it may simply be that, in comparison to the types of people they've come across in the past, Noah IS decent. Yes, the bar has been set at a record low, but honestly, his entire attitude was light years' away from 'predator/aggressor' it was almost laughable. Carol and Daryl have faced bad people before and IMO it was clear that Noah was not of that ilk. He took their weapons, APOLOGIZED, said they were tough and that he was confident they'd make it without the weapons he just took, and then released some walkers on them to buy him some time. He didn't make threats, he didn't leer, he didn't mock, he didn't gloat, he didn't harm them and he didn't take everything they had. Carol was pragmatic enough to want to clip him to get their shit back (after all, they need those weapons to save Beth), but she had no interest in leaving him to the fate she hand-delivered to Mary back at Terminus...

Agreed. Add to this the fact that Daryl and carol had the weapons back and it was them against one guy with an injuried leg ... Why not give the boy a fighting chance against the walker instead of leaving him to certain death? They are suppose to be the decent ones. Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 1

I will agree to an extent that not too much has happened but I think that is what I enjoy about this show NO ONE KNOWS WHAT TO DO. I think as long as they wander aimlessly from place to place, I'm more invested. I would not watch a weekly show about Green Acres (Hershel's Farm) Whole Foods (Terminus) General Hospital (Slabtown) or Twin Peaks (Woodbury).

Edited by Boofish
  • Love 1

However Shane's sex with Lori was more appropriate than Andrea's sex with the Governor, but less appropriate than sex with Andrea.

Rick and Lori's sex was appropriate but creepy with Carl sleeping so close. I am sure Carl woke up singing, 'ooh smell that smell ooh.'

Abraham and Roseita sex was appropriate also, but it was both creepy and pervy with so many people watching.

Maggie and Glenn's sex is very appropriate because they find privacy. Maggie is probably a loud moaner.

Pearl clutching, I almost went to urban dictionary for that one. Then I decided it meant what it meant.

A continuum / spectrum of appropriateness... where would Rick + Michonne fit? Noah + Beth? Daryl + Beth? Daryl + Carol? Abraham + Rosita + Tara?

Listen.  I know on these boards we are supposed to agree to disagree.  I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  But you are NOT entitled to your own facts.  And it is a FACT that this season Baby Judith has killed nearly EVERYONE with her Emmy-worthy, ultra badass, cuteness.  Good day to you!  I said, good day, sir!!

I believe Judith has also artfully employed stink eye this season.  That girl can give a look.  

• Love 5

I believe Judith has also artfully employed stink eye this season.  That girl can give a look.  

Yes she can.  I was rewatching the season and the scene where the termite was threatening to snap her neck.  Upon first viewing I was so impressed at her crying and looking extremely displeased with the mean man holding the knife over her.  Since then I heard that the hands that they showed holding her were those of the baby's father and that she was crying because he wouldn't let her have something she wanted.  So when I saw that EXTREME stink eye on second viewing, I howled with laughter.  She was REALLY mad at daddy!

• Love 1

A continuum / spectrum of appropriateness... where would Rick + Michonne fit? Noah + Beth? Daryl + Beth? Daryl + Carol? Abraham + Rosita + Tara?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO SAY NO TO DOLPHIN SMOOTH. In the Rock, paper scissor, lizard, spock hierarchy this is the nuclear holocaust of equations. All our brains go boom. That is the weapon that kills all the walkers but us along with it because it's wrong. Tara and Rosita can hook up, I don't care but dolphin gotta go.

• Love 2

You forgot what is, IMO, the most inappropriate sex this show has ever shown - The Guvna and Lily in the van, RIGHT next to Megan and Tara. Like I think Lily was literally touching Megan in that scene. At least with Rick and Lori there was a few feet between them and Carl. 

• Love 5

Ugh.  Ghoulina, I think that there is the reason that scene was wiped from our collective memory.  Or maybe just my memory.  Even with the squick factor 10 there, that truck was the source of their sustenance -- all the spaghettios and beef jerky one could stomach -- which just reminded me of how irksome I found that 2 episode diversion into the redundant past of the Governator.

And I totally get that Gimple et al had to "fix" the end of S3, which was prolly the worst finale ever, by bringing back the Gov and finally putting a stake through his heart, but really we did not need 2 whole episodes devoted to him.  I will argue that to my last breath.

Edited by JBody
  • Love 6
At least with Rick and Lori there was a few feet between them and Carl.

Yes, and at least if Carl woke up, they could've uncomfortably explained that that is what mommies and daddies do sometimes, not, had Meghan awaken to one of them smooshing her, what mommies and strange men who walk in off the street do.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 2

The Shane and Andrea hook up took place in a car. They had just escaped something, it was kinda like euphoria hook up. But also shortly before Shane went kaput. He had already Otis'd Otis and I think they had Raymond as a prisoner. I sorta thought he maybe got a handjob but who knows. I questioned andrea's taste in men but I don't care if she hooked up. I'm not casting a scandalous eye upon the wimmen's for hooking up but I did think Lori hooked up a little too quick after Rick "died". 

To add more context to the situation.  Unlike Dale (who wanted to keep Andrea's gun from her) and Lori (who wanted Andrea to do what a woman should), Shane took Andrea out and taught her how to shoot.  I've only seen the episode once, but I thought the sex was after a satisfying day of target practice.  Andrea initiated, and Shane seemed pleased to go along with it.  I think Andrea was drawn to Shane because she felt he treated her like an equal, rather than a fragile flower he needed to protect.  I never got the impression that they were more than fuck buddies.

Daryl got her out of the prison, but after that? All I can remember is her stabbing the walker that Daryl was toying with and her running out of the house when the walkers attacked (and ran right into the rent-a-rape-cops). Neither of those really fit the bill for me so I have no clue what he was thinking of when he made that comment. Was she kicking ass at the golf club?

When Daryl was still in  self-pitying shut down mode, he allowed Beth to fight off a walker alone.  She really struggled and it was an asshole move, but he looked absolutely unconcerned as she screamed and fought.  I think it was in the country club.  Probably Daryl's most asshole moment, in my opinion.

Good day to you!  I said, good day, sir!!

Tootsie reference?

• Love 3

The Guvna and Lily in the van, RIGHT next to Megan and Tara.

Yes, and even Philip raised an eyebrow at that, but Lily didn't give a shit if her daughter woke up and saw them doing the deed. I assume the Gov thought that if Megan's own mother didn't care, why should he.

I thought the sex was after a satisfying day of target practice.

It was actually after the target practice and then after that they went into the housing project looking for Sophia and she was successful in shooting walkers for the first time.  I think that was what really turned her on - Shane didn't shoot them, she did.  And he let her almost get killed before she settled down to plugging them.  Her first kill, if you will.

• Love 4

Rick + Michonne: Given that Rick has super ZA sperm it would be cool because of the swirl babies. But slightly less appropriate than sex with Lori, because there would be another anchor of a baby in the ZA. There are only so many Beth's.

Noah + Beth: More appropriate than any of Rick's sex encounters, but less appropriate than Glen and Maggie's. Because Beth looks like she has breeders hips. They would have to build an ark.

Daryl + Beth: This would be the second least appropriate ZA Walking Dead sex possible. The Beth hate would literally break the internet. And I would be force to create a fan vid of Beth set to Taylor Swift's 'Shake it Off'.

Daryl + Carol: This would be the most appropriate sex ever. Especially if it came after Beth and Daryl sex. It would be a palate cleanser for the universe of normal people. For the geeks among us, the Force would be in balance again.

Abraham + Rosita + Tara: This would be the most least appropriate sex in the ZA Walking Dead universe. That dolphin smooth skin would reveal an 666 tattoo. Which would cause the Moral Majority to reform, to save those of us who grew up on 80's porn staches, who were cheering Abraham on. From being left behind to enjoy more Abraham + Rosita + Tara biblical intercourse.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Lori and Andrea were annoying but not because of who they slept with.  I don't blame Lori for hooking up with Shane, she had known him presumably for years and they both thought Rick was dead.  Shane was a creep but I don't remember him being creepy with Andrea, they could have been a fun couple.  (Andrea honking the horn with her butt was funny.)  And hey, whatever else Philip was maybe he was good in bed, so why not?  You go, Andrea!

If Abraham and Rosita want to go at it, more power to them.  Just don't ask me to join in with Eugene's proclivities.  Dolphin smooth, y'all.

• Love 2

Was there a Monica in their group? Is this Dale experiencing an oral sensation? I bet you can keep your hat on is being hummed somewhere.

Considering that was his default expression, it's difficult to tell if he was eavesdropping on a particularly juicy convo or having a Monica pulled on him in this pic.

• Love 1

I finally got to watch this episode and loved it. Loved the flashbacks and the interaction between Daryl and Carol. Both actors are so good they rocked it. The cinematography was outstanding and seeing Atlanta again was interesting.

I also liked the humor and have to agree with Daryl on that dog butt painting.

• Love 3

Rick + Michonne: Given that Rick has super ZA sperm it would be cool because of the swirl babies. But slightly less appropriate than sex with Lori, because there would be another anchor of a baby in the ZA. There are only so many Beth's.

Noah + Beth: More appropriate than any of Rick's sex encounters, but less appropriate than Glen and Maggie's. Because Beth looks like she has breeders hips. They would have to build an ark.

Daryl + Beth: This would be the second least appropriate ZA Walking Dead sex possible. The Beth hate would literally break the internet. And I would be force to create a fan vid of Beth set to Taylor Swift's 'Shake it Off'.

Daryl + Carol: This would be the most appropriate sex ever. Especially if it came after Beth and Daryl sex. It would be a palate cleanser for the universe of normal people. For the geeks among us, the Force would be in balance again.

Abraham + Rosita + Tara: This would be the most least appropriate sex in the ZA Walking Dead universe. That dolphin smooth skin would reveal an 666 tattoo. Which would cause the Moral Majority to reform, to save those of us who grew up on 80's porn staches, who were cheering Abraham on. From being left behind to enjoy more Abraham + Rosita + Tara biblical intercourse.

Considering Slabtown is one of the seasons highest rated episodes I doubt Beth hate coould break the internet. However Daryl hooking up with any could probably break tumblr at this point.

Something that made the painting scene funnier to me is that NR is actually is a painter and I think he actually does modern art.

• Love 2