Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: I'm Coming Home To You

Cranberry

Rayna's campaign to raise Highway 65's sales and profile finds her performing her latest single on "Dancing with the Stars." But when she agrees to be shadowed by a reporter all weekend for the cover of a magazine, just as Luke hopes to rekindle the romance, she realizes she may have pushed her public access too far. Juliette struggles to prepare for motherhood alone, and Will and Layla brace themselves for the premiere of their reality show.

Two weeks away, but getting this up early anyway. Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X5nnuktyF0

Rayna was so horrible tonight. Shaming and blaming her daughter for negative publicity- when Rayna had just ruined the family's special weekend by bringing the guest reporter-  was beyond the pale. Spilling some dirt on Deacon did not make up for a long series of  selfish decisions, protesting all the way how she would never expose her family to the harsh media glare. Uh, that's exactly what she did! She chose every moment of those intrusions. I was completely 100% on Luke's side, and he's evil. 

Edited by Midru
  • Love 11

I didn't think if was possible to hate Rayna more, but I am firmly on Team Luke now. And team Pam. And team Teddy. Fame loving hag can go get in another car crash. When Luke thinks you're overdoing it, then it's bad.

I appreciate the "2 month" gap since it allowed us to see more of Juliette than her face.

Layla has feelings! All it took was marrying Will, getting duped, drinking a lot and cutting. And now she's got the Jessica Simpson 'Newlyweds' edit for her show. Rabbit boiling in 3 2 1...

Scarlett gets back on stage. Quelle surprise. It's the 'he helped me find my soul again' edit... I preferred her mopey.

And onto my redeeming queen and king - all hail Juliette and Avery. Hope he'll stop moping and she makes him grovel a bit before taking him back. Those 2 are perfection.

• Love 6

I wish whoever is marketing this show would take a few minutes to read this board.  Why on earth would next week's promo feature Luke and Rayna?  For that matter, why does every promo feature them?

I watch for Juliette and Avery, and I don't think I'm alone. And I know some fans watch for Deacon.  Perhaps, Hayden's pregnancy has had an impact on how much she can work, and, if so, I understand, but I feel like she is being used as a secondary character this year.  It's not "Nashville" anymore.  It's "Ruke."  I don't mind a little Ruke, but I don't need to see them every two minutes.  (And after tonight, I've decided she's not good enough for him, which is saying a lot!)

• Love 4

Good episode and lots of music :)

Rayna whispers to Luke: Do you take this woman to be your wife? Yes...until he finds out you spilled your feelings about Deacon to the Rolling Stone reporter (really, Rayna?!) in exchange for leaving out the teen make-out drama...which might be included anyway, who trusts reporters? ha. Don't care about Luke and wouldn't expect them to weather this RS storm brewing, and wonder if this is setting up Rayna and Deacon getting back together eventually...which I wanted in the way past, but now, no.

Good to see Avery and Juliette getting closer, hope they have a decent go of it. As for Gunnar and Zoe, I'm not caring too much about their (soon to end?) relationship, though I do feel bad for Micah being caught in that shit. Would be admirable if Gunnar can step up and be better than that crappy mom--and I'm still not sold that he's even the biological father.

Poor Layla. Felt sorry for her, and warmed that she and Will were nice to each other and seemingly on the same wavelength. That's probably not going to last long at all.

• Love 4

The good: Juliette and Avery together. So nice to see her happy.

The bad: Rayna. Lots of bad choices here. And Connie Britton seems to be "phoning in" her performance lately. That scene with Luke in her bedroom was just awful.

The boring: Gunnar, his child and his baby mama; Scarlett's new story line

The surprising: Layla's song

• Love 4

I, too, thought it was a good episode with lots of music.

I was really looking forward to a rapprochement between Layla and Will, and Layla's singing was great! That show ended the comity between them, though, although it could really fuel some songs from her.

• Love 3

The Rolling Stone reporter has some of my favorite facial reactions tonight.  Anytime something crazy happened (Juliette being Juliette, Maddie getting her Lannister on with Luke's son), you could just tell in his face that he was like "Oh, this story is getting awesome, now!"  Of course, it looks like Maddie is safe for now, thanks to Rayna.  Man, she sure seem to have no problems selling Deacon out. And, just springing the whole interview to Luke and the kids like that.  Am I suppose to be rooting for her?  Because, I'm getting to the point where I just want to see Ted, Deacon, and even Luke team up, and just go on a Rayna-free road-trip, where they can gossip over how annoying she is and was to date/be married to (maybe pick-up Liam on the way.)

They gang is back!  By that, I mean Will and Gunnar!  Yes, those two by themselves annoy me a lot of times, but I like their interactions, and wish we would get more of it.  Of course, both of them are in some crap, now.  Gunnar's ex just flips out and dumps Micah on him, which I'm sure will cause more problems for him and Zoe.  Meanwhile, it looked like Will and Layla were finally becoming civil again, only to find out that the evil producers basically turned their reality show into "Newlyweds: Country Edition", and Layla clearly isn't happy that she's the Jessica Simpson of this version.  Yeah, I bet this isn't going to end well.

On the other hand, Avery takes a baby step towards warming up to Juliette!  Granted, he needed Emily to come guilt-trip him for a bit, but I'll take it!  I'm sure this is far from good, but I really hope he gets his act together, and Avery/Juliette can make another go at it.

A minor thing, but I cracked up over Deacon's nonchalant reaction to how Scarlett met Terry.  I'm sure it was because he was sick, but I also thought it was a bit of a "Yep, of course he's homeless, and you are trying to bond with him.  That's so you!" from him.  And, surprise, it looks like Terry is basically here for Scarlett to find her voice again.  What a twist!

I'm actually looking forward to next week, but I actually am hoping Rayna looses.  She probably won't, but I really want to see all her campaigning and bad attitude, end up not amounting to squat.  But, again, knowing this show, they'll reward her for it.

• Love 3

I'm with whoever said Rayna can get into another car crash.

I'm glad she told Maddie that making out with your step brother is weird and inappropriate, but she was a total bitch about it and not as motherly as she used to be.

Don't even get me started on her selling Deacon out behind his back.

I thought the beginning of the end of Puke would make me happy, but Rayna being so awful kind of overshadowed that for me.

That scene in her bedroom made me want to vomit. And her coming in acting like she's been raped or something because she "had" to talk about Deacon? Please.

• Love 6

I liked Juliette and Avery the best. I also loved Juliette with Emily. Emily does so much for Juliette and I thought this episode really showcased the strength of Juliette's team.

If Juliette's team looked stronger than ever, then Rayna's team looked worse. Bucky always seemed to be a good influence on Rayna, like Glenn with Juliette, but tonight he was a bad influence telling her she should do the RS piece. I also refuse to believe it's the only time they could do the article was that weekend. Isn't Rolling Stone famous for doing on-tour interviews where they travel with the band? Rayna should have found a way to reschedule and Bucky should have helped.  Here's an idea if you had to do the article Rayna, ask Teddy to take the girls or have Deacon take them if he wasn't sick. He seems nice enough he could handle Maddie's little sister hanging around.

I have mixed feelings about Scarlett's storyline, but I like seeing a relationship that isn't about sex.

Kiley is crazy. Zoe and Gunnar seem to be falling apart.  As much as I resent being free babysitting, I would try to be understanding for my partner's sake at least in the beginning. 

I actually kind of understand Rayna and Maddie. While Rayna was wrong to do the interview on family time, she was right to point the publicity angle. These days all it takes is your best friend snapping, posting and tagging to Facebook and if you're big enough news, everyone will see it. As big as Rayna and Luke are (not to mention Deacon and Teddy aren't exactly nobodies) I think it's a good chance it would get a lot of media action from a casual Facebook image. Maddie can decide she doesn't care if people know but she should be aware that it could happen. I can also understand why Maddie and Rayna are frustrated with each other.  Rayna is frustrated with Maddie's string of acting out and Maddie is frustrated with Rayna's incessant working. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3

Agreeing with the posts so far. So rooting for Juliette and Avery. Their scenes together are wonderful. When they argue, they're great- and those scenes - when he's intensely watching her as she's singing-and she's beaming when he shows up- are perfect.

So sick and tired of Luke/Rayna... do the producers and two actors know that we don't want them together- so they just demonstrate 'no chemistry'? Or is it that the producers actually think we care about them as a couple and think they have chemistry? Still can't figure that out.

I know people all love Connie Britton- and I do too- but just not buying her character selling out like that and her angst and regret when it's all angst/regret that SHE created. Where's the strong Rayna who makes tough choices?

Don't care about Scarlett/Terry but enjoyed the song. Don't remotely care about Gunnar/Zoey/Gunnar's alleged family but hoping it just gets us one step closer to Scarlett/Gunnar duets. Interesting turn with the Layla/Will thing being turned against Layla in the reality show that she insisted on.. good to see Will back with Gunnar/the other characters.

Still watching for Juliette, Avery, and Deacon. They're the only characters of the original six musicians that are flawed and make mistakes and yet I still root for them.

• Love 4

I know people all love Connie Britton- and I do too- but just not buying her character selling out like that and her angst and regret when it's all angst/regret that SHE created. Where's the strong Rayna who makes tough choices?

She died in the car crash.

It's official: I can't stand Rayna. She's absolutely awful. Way to sell Deacon out. Good lord. I also wish she'd find another wreck to get in, and just stay in the coma this time. This show is just so bad.

Yay for Juliette and Avery.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 3

I haven't watched this episode yet because I'm on the west coast but reading these post comments I think I'll skip this episode. Can't believe a few posters said that they want Rayna in another car crash and this time she doesn't survive is this episode that bad? I haven't liked Rayna for a long time now and it seems she's only getting worse as this series runs itself into the ground.

• Love 1

Well Pam proved to be a non-threat, which is good.

(Am I hearing myself? I'm saying "non-threat" as if Rayna still deserves even a hair from Deacon's head. I need to speak with Rayna's lobotomy doctor, STAT.)

• Love 1

On the plus side, I do love the new Layla. You can see how humiliating her and setting up Will as a hetero sex symbol, when she gets mad it could all be out in the open. I hope Layla sings more broken heart songs.

And I now have a huge crush on Emily. She is the sweetest, nicest person. It would be great if she could date another character or find another way to be more involved. Would it be incestuous for her to date Glen? He's probably too old anyway. Deacon would just break her heart. Gunnar would be perfect, but he's got his hands full.

Zoe is like the straight man, always kind of put upon by the craziness around her. Tonight it hit me that for some reason she reminds me of a nun; she's so ethereal she's almost sterile or something.

• Love 2

The scene where Rayna walked into the bedroom & told Luke she felt like she needed a shower was so poorly done it was shocking to me. I felt like I was at a high school play where the lead found out her best friend made out with her boyfriend right before the opening. Poorly acted over the top drama where the actress can't sell her story? Ugh. I knew there was a reason I typically fast forward Rayna scenes.

Layla's song surprised me because I liked it. I was able to tolerate Scarlett singing with her homeless hero far more than I ever have before. I think all the credit goes to him.

I'm so glad they did the time jump so Hayden's pregnancy can show. I'm liking the Juliette & Avery interaction.

Deacon bores me. Gunner & Zoe bore me. Will & Layla bore me. I'm kind of missing Teddy. Who knew?

• Love 3

Kylie was ready to move to Oklahoma for a guy she had been dating a month who didn't even know she had a kid?  Good God, how has Micah survived 10 years with this dipshit for a mother?  I'm surprised she didn't trade the kid for a taco or some magic beans years ago. 

So Layla is going to epically lose her shit soon, right?  She was scary calm but there were some serious crazy eyes going on while she was singing.  Poor, stupid Will is never going to see it coming.

Edited by rachel1496
  • Love 13

Oh, jeez. I would have at least liked to see Rayna ponder what she could possibly do to get the reporter to not include that bit in his article. She seemed to walk in there thinking that asking would be enough. Yeah, right.

Kiley IS crazy. As soon as the boyfriend dumping scene happened, I knew her ass was gone, which is CRAZY. I want to know: did boyfriend say they could work things out if she abandoned her son or is she just driving out there to beg him for another chance now that she's child free? EITHER WAY IT'S CRAZY AND I DON'T CARE.

Rayna's song..."I don't want to be no ball and chain." Seems a weird song considering...the tattoo...Ruke... Well, self-fulfilling prophecy, probably.

Deacon is sick, but I still can't give him a pass on not lecturing Scarlett on having an unknown homeless man come to the house. It's dangerous, honey. Good thing it turns out he's just a plot device to get you singing again.

Zoey. I want to like her, well, I wanted to, but this episode didn't do her any favors on that score. It is frustrating, I'm sure. But it's not like Micah wasn't sprung on Gunnar too. And who knew the baby mama would turn out to be unstable? And the boy is old enough to learn how to use the washer machine. I KNOW he's been to a laundromat a time or two in his life.

Regarding Bucky, I'm thinking that he pushed for the Rolling Stone interview so as to go along with the new Rayna2.0's #Highway65,  #CMA, #QueenofCountry  #famewhore.

The promo made it look like Luke was jealous of Rayna getting the cover of Rolling Stone, but really, he was reasonably upset that Rayna had too much going on to spend time with them as they had planned. Can't blame him for that.

I love Will even though he makes stupid decisions. I don't like Layla, but I do feel sorry for her. I think she was coming to a place where she could relax, relate and release and MAYBE be friends with Will and now their reality show edit has ruined that. They need to contact Jeff and get him to get them out of that contract. 

As usual, love me some Juliette and Avery. And I loved her scene with Rayna. 

• Love 3

Okay, i'm confused here.  I thought when we met Kiley she got a quick job to make some money so they could move to Tulsa to be w/this guy she had met online.  So she obviously had plans to take her son w/her at that point.  She made it seem as if they had all met and now they were both trying to work their way to Tulsa to be together as a family.  Hey writers...a more plausible explanation would have been that the Tulsa guy changed his mind and decided he wasn't ready to be w/someone who had kids, therefore he was either being honest or using that as an excuse to dump Kiley.  I still think this will go the old soap opera trope of Kiley knowing Gunnar is in Nashville, meets up w/him and leads him to believe the kid is Gunnar's, let's Gunnar bond w/said kid then bolts town to be w/new guy, and then months down the road decides to come back for said kid to join her in her new life and when Gunnar says no that she is crazy, she drops the bombshell that he isn't the father...dun...dun..dunn. 

I'm guessing Zooey bolts b/c she isn't ready to be a mom, but Scarlett steps up and the three of them form a bond b/c guess what...the "son" can harmonize and then Gunnar, Scarlett, and Micah can be a new version of Dr. Fünke's 100% Natural Good-Time Family Band Solution.  Just an idea i'm throwing out there.

Was I the only one that thought Will and Layla showed up at that red carpet event I thought it was for the premier for the Patsy Cline biopic that Juliette had done.  Hands...?

Speaking of those two, I see a shattered Layla doing a murder-suicide in regards to her life going down in even more shambles from this reality show.  Spoiler alert...i'm guessing that bitch producer will have the Will announcing he is gay to his wife in the "privacy" of the bedroom as the season finale of their show and that is what makes her crack.

As for Rayna and Luke and their incestuous brood, I just don't give a damn.  I agree though that the Rolling Stone guy will throw that little tidbit in his article or let it leak elsewhere.

• Love 1

Rayna's awful, Luke was 100x better than her. He was even a better parent, he spent more time with HER kids this weekend than she did. Mini-golf and actually wanting to do things as a family in private away from work. Then she'll throw Deacon's private life in the magazine when he said no??

Luke and Deacon both deserves better than her. 

As much as it was speculated that Luke wanted this relationship for attention, it's not showing that. It's showing the reverse that Rayna's the one all about the attention and media of it. Allowing the reporter to come into the house, to go on the wedding prep, to chose to go with the reporter instead of spending time with her kids. 

Layla's dark new turn and her new song is great. She'd probably do well on pop radio with an Adele like vibe.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 4

Oh yeah. I forgot to say that Layla's song was gorgeous. So she's not crazy this week, right?

Also, how awesome would it be if Luke dumped Rayna?

She's either not crazy or crazier than normal.  I hope it's the latter, crazy is the only thing that makes her even slightly interesting.

• Love 1

Speaking of those two, I see a shattered Layla doing a murder-suicide ....Will announcing he is gay to his wife in the "privacy" of the bedroom as the season finale of their show and that is what makes her crack.

Oh, you're right! I was afraid it would be at the end of the premiere, but the season finale makes so much more sense. And then they're both going to crack. Too bad, because I have never liked those two more than when they were getting along right before the premiere.

I was so unimpressed with Scarlett's duet with Terry. Really? That was supposed to be some breakout song that would set Terry's feet back on the path to success? No way.

Gunnar, Gunnar, Gunnar. I guess you are too young to remember the early seasons of ER, and the Susan/Chloe/Baby Susie drama, so you're going to get caught on the same heartbreaking trap. (I knew I had seen this storyline before, and it finally hit me.)

How long before we find out what's wrong with Deacon?

• Love 2

Well, that was not pleasant. I knew as I was watching it that the pitchforks would be out for Rayna, and it's hard to defend her...I want to but it's hard.

Getting the interview was huge. A RS cover is epic so they have the power to get people to agree to this shit. But of course the show stacks the deck, they've only got 48 hours, family, family, family, Luke, Luke, Luke. Rayna's a famewhore for agreeing to have a reporter around...they are digging that character such a deep hole.

However I do think part of Luke's irritation came from her getting the cover, not him. I think there's a definite sense of competition on his part that's going to come through in an ugly way.

Rayna's throwing Deacon under the bus...yeah I don't know about that one. Deacon has never been unwilling to be open about his feelings about Rayna, but he took her lead and respected her marriage etc. Tonight he was sick and crotchety. We haven't seen the article yet but I doubt he's going to be feeling bad if it implies that Rayna still wants to be with him.

Maddie's bratty dumbassery continues apace. Wait till the "brotherfucker" tweets start, little one. Maybe you'll be grateful that your mother sold herself out to save your impulsive teenage ass again. Plus, seriously, Colt? That kid is a void of charisma, I was surprised they were making out, he seemed nonplussed last time.

Everything was so ugly, or something I didn't want to see. I don't care about Scarlett's miraculous return to the stage with her MN. Kiley spazzing out and dumping Micah pissed me off, because even though Zoe isn't much of a character, Gunnar isn't much of an adult so she's going to be taking care of two little boys.

Juliette and Avery were the only high point, but only when they stopped sniping at each other. The tension between them was giving me a stomach ache. I loved the look on Avery's face when he heard her singing.

And that Pam, ugh, why couldn't they have just kept that on the road?

Not an auspicious return after a few weeks off. Can this show be saved?

• Love 7

The pitchforks are deserved. Rayna completely sold Deacon out. This is a guy she supposedly loved for decades, who was her confidante, partner, and boyfriend, he's the father of one of her children for crying out loud. I'm sure Deacon will fall at her feet and profess his undying love and assure her that she's totally right and was protecting their kid, blah blah blah. But this is as far as Rayna gets with me. Famewhore all you want if that's what matters to you now, but throw someone with whom you have that kind of relationship to the wolves? This is why people hate celebrities and root for their failure. She's indefensible at this point. And when he forgives her AGAIN without her owning any of the shitty things she's done to him, I'm going to call him a pathetic loser. They deserve each other because they ruin lives, and if they're together, at least they'll only hurt the other one...and the children, but there's always some collateral damage when you have no soul.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 3

Rayna's throwing Deacon under the bus...yeah I don't know about that one. Deacon has never been unwilling to be open about his feelings about Rayna, but he took her lead and respected her marriage etc. Tonight he was sick and crotchety. We haven't seen the article yet but I doubt he's going to be feeling bad if it implies that Rayna still wants to be with him.

Yes, threw him under the bus and we don't have to see the article to know that. 

If Deacon wanted his personal life in that Rolling Stone article he had the chance to do so, himself. He asked about it when the reporter called and Deacon questioned if this was about the music or personal life. Since it wasn't about the music, he wanted nothing to do with it.

He chose not to have his relationship with Rayna plastered all over Rolling Stone. It doesn't matter what she says about it. Rayna took that choice from him and gave a tell all about their relationship, without asking him, without consulting him, and I'd be shocked if she even gives him a heads up before he finds out about it from someone else. 

• Love 3

He chose not to have his relationship with Rayna plastered all over Rolling Stone. It doesn't matter what she says about it. Rayna took that choice from him and gave a tell all about their relationship, without asking him, without consulting him, and I'd be shocked if she even gives him a heads up before he finds out about it from someone else.

AGAIN. Rayna took an incredibly personal and important choice from him again. Holy hell. How is this woman the hero of any story? Is this some new brand of feminism that I'm unfamiliar with wherein women screw over men and the guys are just supposed to take it? The fact that Rayna is supposed to be some kind of "strong woman" is offensive to me. She's a self-serving jerk and an insult to actual working women who truly struggle to balance careers and families and relationships.

The only way this show can be saved is if Deacon throws her out on her ass when she comes back to him.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 5

What a surprise that Mika got dumped on Gunnar! Not. I've been waiting for this to happen, so I guess Zoe is outta there. 

I'm tired of the Luke & Rayna "we're so busy we have no personal lives" show, & the Layla & Will "the evil producer is making us do this" show, both are boring me.

Glad for the time jump so they don't have to hide the pregnancy.

• Love 2

I love Emily. I really liked her before but now I lurve her.

Skipping ahead 2 months may not make sense with their timeline but at least they can show more than Juliette's face.

Not a lot to like about Rayna this ep but liked her with Juliette.

Sage was unexpectedly normal. Figured her entrance to show would be more dramatic since they kept trying to create mystery.

Oh yeah. I forgot to say that Layla's song was gorgeous. So she's not crazy this week, right?

She isn't chugging whiskey this week either but I still think she is crazy.

I'm tired of the Luke & Rayna "we're so busy we have no personal lives" show, & the Layla & Will "the evil producer is making us do this" show, both are boring me.

Agree - the writers have basic dialogue for each set of characters that they keep repeating. In each episode, Luke makes some statement that equates to "we don't have enough time together because we are big music stars who choose to tour for months at a time but I love you anyway."

First we were given Jeff, the "evil music industry executive," who threatens his talent. Now we have the "evil reality show producer" who threatens her talent. Really? Maybe these two should pair off.

AGAIN. Rayna took an incredibly personal and important choice from him again. Holy hell. How is this woman the hero of any story? Is this some new brand of feminism that I'm unfamiliar with wherein women screw over men and the guys are just supposed to take it? The fact that Rayna is supposed to be some kind of "strong woman" is offensive to me. She's a self-serving jerk and an insult to actual working women who truly struggle to balance careers and families and relationships.

The only way this show can be saved is if Deacon throws her out on her ass when she comes back to him.

But he won't...Deacon won't kick her ass to the curb because he, as he said, Nashville reminds him of Rayna or some such nonsense. 

There had to be another choice in that Rolling Stone interview. Why was it Maddie kissing step-brother OR the details of Deacon's sordid past? Surely there was another angle that could have been pitched. Tired of the anguished looks on Rayna's face after she makes another bad decision that, of course, she was "forced" to make.

Surprised that there is no mention here of her laughable performance on the faux DWTS episode. Who decided on the tacky, low-cut dress?

• Love 1

I'm guessing Zooey bolts b/c she isn't ready to be a mom, but Scarlett steps up and the three of them form a bond b/c guess what...the "son" can harmonize and then Gunnar, Scarlett, and Micah can be a new version of Dr. Fünke's 100% Natural Good-Time Family Band Solution.  Just an idea i'm throwing out there. 

Ha! They'll all be singing 'There's No I In Teamocil' at The Bluebird soon enough.

I thought when Kylie was late to pick up the kid at the end it was because she had died in a car accident or something. This was worse.

Sage was adorable and I loved her moment of bacon bonding with Daphne. Those 2 need to keep their heads down, remain calm and normal and maybe they'll make it out of this thing.

Sage was unexpectedly normal. Figured her entrance to show would be more dramatic since they kept trying to create mystery.

I was going to post that too.  I guess they just had a hard time casting the part since there wasn't any overt drama with her.  Unless she starts putting the moves on Maddie too.

I'm surprised that no one commented on the faux Dancing with the Stars performance either.  It was plugged on that show and I was kind of wondering if Derek Hough would make an appearance on that show too totaling confusing everyone.  Val and partner seemed a little lonely dancing out there by them selves,  not enough Tom Bergeron.  

The whole episode was a mess.  I too don't give a crap that Scarlett has found her muse and can sing in public again.  I was happily surprised by Layla acting like a sane person that has some maturity and sense (and talent), Gunnar, you're a sap and this storyline is boring.  Awe, Deacon has a cold, hope its not DRAMA, TERRIBLE DISEASE time and that Chip was just sick.  Rayna, more and more you act like you've never been in show business before.  There are many ways of handling this situation.  One of the first things you should have made understood is that you are running this article and that the kids are not part of it.  Heck, the Clintons, Bushes and Obamas all insisted that their children were to be kept out of the spotlight.  The whole wedding planning thing was stupid, leave the reporter guy to sit in the background, he's a big boy, he's pushing you because you're letting him.  Reporters push because that's how they get their story.  You can shut them down.  He wants this story as much as you do.  

• Love 4

Wait, what happened to this nanny they were supposedly getting?  Shouldn't she have been at the house with Maddie and Colt?  And for that matter, given recent history, why would you just walk into the room with a reporter without sending Luke in first to give the all clear.  Take him to the kitchen, stall for a few minutes and wait until you know you're not walking into a scene you would rather not have all over RS.

• Love 6

Or have a talk with your kids that there's going to be a reporter hanging out this weekend shadowing Mom, so please please please be on your best freakin' behavior and keep a low profile because a reporter's nature (and job) is to dig like a damn gopher.

• Love 5

Incest is having sex with a blood relative. Maddie is not related to Luke, so Rayna's family is not incestous. It may be attention Maddie doesn't want, and she wouldn't want to date someone she lives with part-time, but there is no incest here.

I'm tired of the Juliette/Avery drama and I think Luke is jealous of any media attention Rayna gets.

• Love 4

I needed to see Rayna panicking a little bit before giving the reporter that story. SOMETHING. Or, after she'd done it, a moment where she showed how shaken she was about what she'd done. Before she talked to Luke. Knowing the show, she's probably told the guy EVERYTHANG and the shit's gonna hit the fan. She'd have to have known that that was the sacrifice she was making. Her life, this sham of a relationship, is going to fall apart. I didn't feel that she showed what she had to (or what SaneRayna) have been feeling.

The more I think about it, the more Gunnar's situation pisses me off. What kind of single parent ups and leaves their kid for some dick? I know it happens, but you have to be some kind of desperate to do that to the kid when you know that he doesn't have anybody but you. No wonder Micah took to Gunnar so quickly. His mother is shit.

• Love 2

Rayna has been in the business decades, so she should know better than to not set some ground rules for the RS reporter.  And even though she's tried to keep the kids out of the spotlight, there's no way Rayna wouldn't have talked with them about reporters and negative publicity.  We're seriously supposed to believe that nothing negative has ever been said about Rayna that Maddie's classmates haven't asked her about?  

• Love 2

protesting all the way how she would never expose her family to the harsh media glare. Uh, that's exactly what she did! She chose every moment of those intrusions. I was completely 100% on Luke's side, and he's evil.

I know. I was shocked. But...I kind of had to be on Luke's side. Rayna had one weekend home and somehow made it entirely about her with everyone else as an afterthought.

When is someone going to point out to Avery that he was not the only one hurt? That his transient obsession with his basket case ex was hurtful as well? Not to mention his continued asshattedness to Juliette.

Edited by shipperx
  • Love 3

Well, I thought Avery was unredeemable, but darn it if I didn't just melt at that smile when he felt the baby kick!  So glad "nice" Avery is back!

Now, can we please redeem Rayna? Character assignation has been going on long enough. She needs to wake up from her fame stupor and realize what she is doing, and soon! (I'm guessing when the article comes out that will happen). I think Luke is jealous, but I also think he loves Rayna, and she is not a very nice person right now. Hard for me to say, since I have been team Rayna all along. So, show, please give me back the family before fame Rayna!

I seem to be in the minority, but I like Scarlet and Terry's song. And Layla's too. Shades of Taylor Swift?

• Love 2

Layla is the only character whose music I've enjoyed this season.  "If Your Heart Can Handle It" was in constant rotation after it was released and I bought "Blind" as well.  I'm not a huge fan of Aubrey Peeple's acting, but she has a lovely voice.  More Layla?  Did I just type that?

Micah is totally going to have some kind of medical emergency where it comes out that Jason's really his father. Cue Gunnar's emotional breakdown, but hey - if it means he sings with Scarlett, I don't mind!  I like Bubba Blue just fine and he sounds lovely with Scarlett, but she's always at her best with Gunnar.  I don't care about behind-the-scenes drama - these people are professionals and should act like it.  

I still can't warm up to Zoey.  I like and understand her story, but Chaley Rose is a vortex of negative chemistry and sucks all the energy out of any scene that she's in.  She has a gorgeous voice (and amazing hair!), but the character keeps falling flat.  

Wasn't Cole pushing Maddie away a few months back?  He is a teenage boy and hormones and whatever, but I was hoping one of them would have some sense. 

And that Pam, ugh, why couldn't they have just kept that on the road?

I still think Pam looks like she escaped from Motley Crue's 1987 tour, but I like that Deacon has a friend.  Despite being beloved by the Nashville music community, we haven't seen him interacting with anyone on a personal level.  He needs to talk and I'm glad she's there to listen.

• Love 3

Well, I hate to say it, but I really think this show has jumped the proverbial mackerel.  I really want to continue liking it as much as I did in season 1 and markedly less so in season 2.  However, almost every episode this season has left me feeling cheated out of that feeling of satisfaction one gets after watching forty or so minutes of good TV.

Some thoughts one last night's epie:

Zooey is really getting up my wick.  Previously she was all jealous/resentful of Gunnar and Scarlett's past relationship, current friendship and music collaboration chemistry.  Now she is all jealous/resentful of Gunnar's new relationship with Micah.  And she is all jealous of not currently working in the music field, AND, she 'cannot even go back to the Blue Bird because it would be toooo much of a comedown after her big send-off to her new success'.

Yeah, this after her three and a half minutes of work as a back-up singer, you know, when musicians of incredible talent work years and decades in side jobs just to keep the wolf from the door and be able to continue playing, writing and honing their craft.

• Love 3

Goodness Connie Britton looked ratchet in this episode. That frizzy hair after the DWTS performance was awful and I feel like they are purposefully trying to make her look tired and haggard. I'm not one of those people who freaks out over a woman's natural face but I feel like they aged her ten years in this episode alone.

Ugh to Micah's mom abandoning him for some guy. That's just the lowest thing on Earth.

I feel like they've done a bit of a u-turn with Luke and now they're trying to make him sympathetic. I swear the characterizations on this show veer so wildly from one ep to the next it's like a new show every week.

Of course Scarlett's Magical Negro With a Tortured Past gets her to sing again while he plays the harmonica. Of course.

Oops, I posted too soon.  I had more ramblings.

I was talking about Zoe, in my previous post.  I also wanted to add that her acting style is irritating.  She emotes by constant eye-rolling and sighing to indicate her dissatisfaction with whatever is bugging her at the moment.  I get that she is a beautiful woman, but I just find that no life or feeling seems to show in her face.  It is like watching a somewhat animated flat photo.

Rayna.  I got a kick out of so many previous comments, where people are starting to like and side with Luke.  There was so much Luke negativity and almost hatred from earlier threads, so the turnaround is really indicative of how unlikeable Rayna is being portrayed or perceived.

My take on Rayna's personality transplant is that it is due to her now owning her own label.  She mortgaged her life, every asset she has including her home to start it up.  So everything she is and has is tied up into it's success, both financially and reputation-wise.  I could almost see why that would make her unconsciously change her priorities and do things (such as set aside her so-called private person persona) that do not meld with the sympathetic character as had been originally painted.*

* Although I don't know or recall if she has received monies from her father's estate which would ease financial worries, and make my premise at least partially wrong.

But it bothered me that part of her mission statement for Highway 65 was that it was to be a place where she would be hands on in helping and nurturing her artists to be the best they could be, but she supposedly did not even respond to the songs that Juliette had sent to her, weeks prior.  So, are the big ideals out the window so early in the game, in the face of being more concerned about her own success and exposure, such as her CMA noms?

One more Rayna bit: Was not her last single called "Ball and Chain" co-written or at least performed with Luke, and that is now a key phrase in her new song?  Lyric writing laziness, or meant to be be ironic or something?

Speaking of song-writing, and keeping in mind that I know exactly zero about the song-writing process, I have issue with Layla suddenly being able to pen an entire  (pretty good) song, both music and lyrics, just because she managed to dig deep and find a few 'feelings'.  This is the reality show runner-up who had absolutely no original song-writing experience, or talent as Gunnar and crew decided, based on her earlier efforts.

So, in my younger days, I did my share of writing angst-filled poetry.  Some of it, amidst the absolute schlock, was actually pretty good.  But even my best work I would in no way be able to turn into a song, and magically be able to write music that was original, catchy, appropriate or otherwise.  That talent does not just bubble out of the ether, just because you might have a decent set of vocal chords.  Some of the best vocalists in North America do not write their own music.  That is a separate talent.  Artists that have both are IMO, incredibly fortunate.

I had more thoughts, but time is marching.  I will be back later.

Re: Rayna: someone mentioned upthread that she seems to be in a stupor -- maybe that's it, maybe that's where they're going with this story, that she's so caught up in this tunnel vision about H65 and what she needs to do for it and she's going to have a breakdown/come-to-Jesus moment. I hope so, because I like Rayna but the Rayna we're seeing is no heroine.

I predict Deacon will be pissed about the RS article for approximately 20 seconds, after Rayna tells him she "had to do it to protect Maddie." And unfortunately, it doesn't matter that Maddie and Colt aren't blood relatives, vicious namecalling doesn't wait for logic. Ugly things will be said on "social media", which Maddie could have been prepared for if she was capable of forethought longer than an hour.

I get so frustrated with Maddie because she's so talented and can be so sweet but the adolescent shenanigans work my last nerve. It's like she's inherited her mother's (new) cluelessness about how the press works. And besides, she likes that poser Colt because he's the only boy she knows! (It would seem).

The Kiley/Micah/Gunnar drama makes me suspect Charles Pratt Jr is now a producer/writer on the show. (Ex-soap fans will get that one).

• Love 1

I didn't like this episode.

I have a hard time believing Ruke's weekend wouldn't have been all about Luke if he'd been offered the Rolling Stones cover. His sexism has been hinted at, but it reached a point for me in this episode. His anger seemed like jealousy to me. Like he couldn't believe His Woman expected him to taste wedding cake while she was interviewed by Rolling Stone. Rayna's manager made it clear that this was a big deal and her only shot. You don't turn down Rolling Stone. So why was it an issue?

I'm definitely not outraged by Rayna's actions. Mainly because I know the writers just throw stuff on the wall to see what sticks and have given up on any kind of character development or consistency. I like Rayna and feel she's being written very oddly this season because the show doesn't work and no one knows how to fix it. I won't turn my back on this character because there won't be any point watching the show anymore.

I don't like the Gunnar/Micah/Zoey storyline. I still don't like Will and Layla. And the Scarlett/Terrance stuff is cliched and stupid. Years ago, in my old neighborhood, a subway clerk was killed by a homeless man he'd been buying dinner for nearly everyday for years. The homeless man just snapped and killed him. I thought of this when Terrance returned to the house to give Scarlett a harmonica. It's a slightly irresponsible message to send to young viewers who may choose to share their home address with a friendly homeless person. If you listen to some of the homeless people in NY, they make more sense than men in suits in this town. And some of them have wonderful voices. But they can also been dangerously insane so it's best not to engage them unless it's to hand them some food or money.

I've never been big on the Avery/Juliette story, but it's the best one on the show right now. Still not enough to keep me hooked if the rest of the story lines keep sucking like this.

Edited by slade3
  • Love 2