Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Valerie Makes A Pilot

In the Season 2 premiere, Valerie produces her own pilot for a reality show that she hopes will get picked up by a cable network, but discovers that her archenemy, Paulie G., has his own series in the works with a plot that sounds all too familiar.

Fantastic. So cringe-y and great, I looked away in horror several times. Everyone really eased into their characters so seamlessly.

So Paulie G tried to set Valerie up to fail with the dramatic monologue, right? This is gonna be painful.

RuPaul! And Carla! Hootie hoo!

• Love 2

So Paulie G tried to set Valerie up to fail with the dramatic monologue, right?

Yep. That bastard. But she knocked it out of the park and now he's stuck with her.

I wish all the episodes were uploaded at once. Cherish is delisicous.

• Love 2

The Comeback is one of my favorite things on the planet ever.  Having said that - the first 15-20 minutes really dragged for me.  Each scene seemed to last an eternity, and not in a great, Comeback-y awkward way.  The episode just wasn't dynamic enough for me.  But I am of the camp that I thought they should have left a classic alone.

I did lose my shit laughing when Valerie went off on the parking garage machine.  "Fucking HBO!"

• Love 2

Can anyone explain the reference to Chris using steroids? Other than making Valerie look uneasy about that statement airing in her "pilot"?

Andy Cohen was funny. "The sun was in my eyes." RuPaul telling Valerie, "I heard you tell Andy who you are."

Chris was played by Kellan Lutz who has looked very muscular in some roles.

The Comeback is one of my favorite things on the planet ever.  Having said that - the first 15-20 minutes really dragged for me.  Each scene seemed to last an eternity, and not in a great, Comeback-y awkward way.

I agree, the first scene in particular went on for a little too long. But I'm willing to give it a pass because they had a lot of catching up to do. 

So, from what I can gather, The Comeback (her reality show) was cancelled after one season, despite the fact that the network told her they were renewing it for a second season after the first episode.

I'll be interested to see what happens with this new HBO show. I never did understand why Paulie G hated her so much. I'm also wondering if she was in fact hired to play herself, or if she was actually hired for some other role and has to watch someone else play her character on the same show.

I like that it seems like Valerie has gained some balls in the past 10 yrs, and isn't willing to just blindly please people anymore.  I laughed when that bitchy casting agent tripped and fell, and her epic explosion at the parking garage (which I mentioned earlier - love that scene!) was amazing.  More bitchy Valerie!

Was there any mention of Francesca?

Paulie G hated her cause shes a pain in the ass!

Very true, but he was also a sexist, mean piece of shit. He was gross and leery to Juna and the othe female lead, and he and all the other writers were mean to the female writer. And what he did with Val and the cupcake scene showed what a cruel person he was. It will be interesting if he tries to explain this away by blaming his drug addiction.

• Love 6

Very true, but he was also a sexist, mean piece of shit. He was gross and leery to Juna and the othe female lead, and he and all the other writers were mean to the female writer. And what he did with Val and the cupcake scene showed what a cruel person he was. It will be interesting if he tries to explain this away by blaming his drug addiction.

Agree 1000% which only makes Valeries efforts to please him extra pathetic.

• Love 1

I came here to say that I HATE Andy Cohen. That picture of his big, stupid face was in my Facebook feed because I follow Previously.tv. He seriously grates. I don't know how people like him.

I watched the early season of The Comeback and have been known to say, "I don't want to see THAT!" but it remains to be seen (pun) if I'll watch the return. Probably not, if it means seeing Andy fucking Cohen.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2
So, from what I can gather, The Comeback (her reality show) was cancelled after one season, despite the fact that the network told her they were renewing it for a second season after the first episode.

I think it got cancelled because Room and Bored was cancelled.  They couldn't do one without the other, or at least that is the contrivance to explain why her last reality show went away. 

Paulie G., Ugh.  Never trust a man under 30 who smokes a pipe.

I don't know how old Paulie G. is supposed to be, but I think the actor who plays him is over 40. 

I enjoyed the episode.  A lot of awkward Val seeming desperate with those very Valerie small moments of triumph (Juna stopping the car, getting out and saying hi) mixed in.  I was glad she got the part.  I felt like Paulie G was setting her up to fail in her audition, so good for her for throwing it back in his face.  Though part of me wondered if she got the part so the producers could head off a possible lawsuit.   

I thought Valerie accidentally barged into the auditions. Didn't she march over to HBO to throw a dramatic fit on camera ("I'm mad!) and then events ended up with her in auditions? So the vicious monologue was in the script, showing the supposedly reformed Paulie G.'s continuing rage and contempt for Valerie, and she bizarrely (and brilliantly) ended up trashing herself through Paulie's words.

She is so desperate for work and attention that she is willing to play herself in a new show that is clearly going to demean her. It was brilliant to watch her flip from I'm mad! to going along with a cruel audition in order to get some work. Her husband gets how insane this is.

I agree that the opening was too long and too irritating. All that stumbling, doors slamming, Mickey's unctuous playing with the hair, Valerie's trademarked spurts of random commentary...but still I'm delighted this show made it back. That's a Hollywood success story in itself. Lisa's so smart to be having an interesting career at this stage of her life (given how hard it is for "aging" actresses).

• Love 3

Was there any mention of Francesca?

Mark mentioned her when they were in bed talking. Something about an apartment (in New York?), I think. I hope she comes back for a few scenes at least! But might have been difficult with the actress on Switched at Birth.

I think Paulie hated Valerie for numerous reasons. Her being forced into the show. Her camera crew. Her trying to meddle with the character. The yoga blessing prayer hands. Him being sexist. I mean, he obviously had an irrational hatred of her from the very beginning but these things only added fuel to the fire.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 3

Mark mentioned her when they were in bed talking. Something about an apartment (in New York?), I think. I hope she comes back for a few scenes at least! But might have been difficult with the actress on Switched at Birth.

I think Paulie hated Valerie for numerous reasons. Her being forced into the show. Her camera crew. Her trying to meddle with the character. The yoga blessing prayer hands. Him being sexist. I mean, he obviously had an irrational hatred of her from the very beginning but these things only added fuel to the fire.

The point was made on the DVD commentary that Tom and Paulie G had written a different show, one about 30ish women living together and that their concept had been reworked by the network into the younger, sillier show.

So they were dealing with their own kinds of pressure having to write Valerie in as well as her ego and pushiness.

Both parties had legit grievances.

Edited by SFoster21
  • Love 1

I adored this show during it's first season and have watched the DVDs of it many times. It was some wonderful commentary tracks, some with both Lisa and Patrick together and apart and one with Lisa in character as Valerie that was just brilliant. When I heard the show was returning I was over the moon!

The first episode was terrific on many levels. It's so interesting to see that Val is virtually the same person we left nine years ago. She has 'put a pin' on her 'look' and is trying to recreate he 'comeback' reality show but this time believing it'll be different because she has 'control' over it. Oh, Val ...

I agree that it was odd that she said her reality series was cancelled after the one season (because that's how long 'Room and Bored' lasted) as it was renewed for a second season in the last episode of season one. That seemed like kind of a glaring error to make (unless they explain it later). Also, it seems a little odd that in the last nine years she didn't do something more than her seven 'independent' films (although I guess that took up a lot of time) and her hair care infomercial.

I think the best moment though was her 'cold read' at HBO. She was amazing. It felt completely in the moment and, even though Val would never believe this, when she let's go of trying to control and micro manage every second of her life, she's really very good.

Oh, Paulie G. was 'smoking' one of those electronic cigarettes (or whatever they are called) and not a pipe though, right?

...her 'cold read' at HBO. She was amazing. It felt completely in the moment and, even though Val would never believe this, when she let's go of trying to control and micro manage every second of her life, she's really very good.

I love this insight.

• Love 1

Yes I think Paulie was using an e-cig, or he was vaping some weed maybe.  Either way, I'm interested to see where his relationship with Valerie goes.  Paulie G was a complete asshole to Valerie and I want him to pay!  I need to see that!

Did they mention Tom Peterman's whereabouts?

Andy Cohen annoys the shit out of me also, but I can totally see why he's necessary... of course Valerie would appeal to the Bravo demographic and angle for a show on that network.  It was fun to see her manager trash Andy and I hope there's more Bravo bashing to come!

• Love 1

Yeah, Andy Cohen made vapid, superficial fake-celebrity vulgarity a cottage industry over at Bravo - the kind of lack of self-awareness that The Comeback mocked. I don't know if he's in on the joke, but he's laughing his way to the bank. I find him vile. Interestingly, in the Real Housewives clip they showed, Val for once seemed unwilling to go along with the phoniness of those shows (albeit her objection was based on the fact that she looked bad in the fake drama being created.) In classic Val fashion, at some point she decides, in the words of Mike Tyson, she'd rather be a fake somebody than a real nobody. And therein lies Val's tragic flaw. (And the flaws of all those pathetic famewhores who populate those shows.)

• Love 5

Did Marky Mark said Francessa's apt. was 1.3 as in $1.3 million?

Hey I'd like to go to that drive-in where you can get curry.  Valerie was wondering if they had foie gras.

Paulie G hated her cause shes a pain in the ass!

He hated her before she even had time to become a pain in the ass. 

I wonder if Paulie G. is based on anyone in real life - maybe McG? Just curious. (Off to Google McG.)

• Love 1

Toward the end of the show's run, a female writers' assistant sued the producers of Friends for a hostile work environment. (They ultimately didn't win, but where there's smoke....). Among her allegations was that the writers used to discuss hypothetical sexual situations involving the female leads.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/apr/21/local/me-friends21

I always wondered if this inspired Kudrow's portrayal of the 'Room and Bored' environment.

I assumed "Paulie G"'s name was a parody of a dumpy loser white guy trying to adopt a name similar to a rapper's and get some "cool" cred (and not a reference to "McG", as douchey a name that is.)

Since Matt LeBlanc appeared on Kudrow's Web Therapy, I would love if they could work in a plot for Valerie to be up for a role on "Pucks", only to have LeBlanc veto it because he hates her (Valerie, not Lisa).  They could even work in a shot against Showtime.

• Love 1

Speaking of Pucks, it's kind of the reverse mirror image of The Comeback. In Pucks, talented writers, whom we identify with and are the protagonists of the show, are saddled with a mediocre (in their opinion) actor who's all wrong for the show as they conceive it. We feel for their plight. In The Comeback, an asshole writer (whom we hate) is saddled with a mediocre (in his opinion) actor who's all wrong for the show as he conceives it. Same situation, yet we feel completely different about it, all because of the change in point of view.

(The fact that both "mediocre," all-wrong-for-the-part actors are played by former Friends stars is just icing on the cake of the cosmic reverse parallel.)

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

I'm so glad the show's back! I don't know a single person in real life who's ever watched the first season, so I'm glad to have these boards. I feel less alone!

Lisa is a genius at awkward humor. This particular brand of humor reminds me of "The Office", the UK version. How you feel uncomfortable for Valerie, you want her to just shut up and stop, and yet you like her and you want her to succeed. It's great that everyone's back too. I adore Mark. That man is an angel of patience.

Valerie nailed the monologue. Yes, she's a pain in the ass, yes she's annoying, but I'll never agree that it was enough for Paulie G to treat her the way he did. As insufferable as she can be, she was always kind and professional to everyone on set. He never made the slightest effort to behave like a professional and mature adult towards her. IMO, it's all on him, that dude has serious problems. Can't wait to see how things are gonna go between them.

• Love 6

Paulie G fits a certain type of creative person I've encountered in my career. The vast majority of creative-types are lovely people, charming, caring, grateful for their gifts, genuinely enjoying other people and valuing what they have to offer. But there is a certain sub-species of creative person who feels he must manifest his "quest for creative excellence" by being abusive to those he wishes to portray as standing in its way. It's as if he is trying to prove to the world--and even more to the point, prove to himself--that he could be great, if only this obstacle of mediocrity would get out of his way. Of course, if you can demonize other people you have a perfect excuse for why you're stuck in mediocrity, writing a piss-poor sitcom like Room and Bored that would suck just as bad with or without Valerie Cherish, and you never have to turn your lens on yourself to discover the reasons.

• Love 4

Since Matt LeBlanc appeared on Kudrow's Web Therapy, I would love if they could work in a plot for Valerie to be up for a role on "Pucks", only to have LeBlanc veto it because he hates her (Valerie, not Lisa).  They could even work in a shot against Showtime.

I don't think it would work, because Matt LeBlanc is playing himself on Episodes, so having another actor from Friends playing a fictional character would be jarring. I think it's too much for the suspension of disbelief. I wouldn't mind seeing Kudrow or any of the other Friends actors playing themselves on Episodes, though. 

Funny, but I have a different view of Paulie G. The small clips of Room and Bored that we saw on the show made it look like a really awful, hacky show. And it wasn't as if he was a lowly staff writer just trying to get his foot in the door. He created the show, and given his much-touted Emmy, you'd think he'd have some more say in the projects he worked on. I don't think he was striving for creative excellence. I think he was just a sellout asshole.  It will be interesting if this new show that's the subject of this new season is any good, or more of the same (just coz it's on HBO doesn't mean it's good...cough cough Arliss...cough cough Entourage.)

• Love 2
I think he was just a sellout asshole.

Exactly.  He took his self-hatred out on Valerie because it was easier than processing whatever negative thoughts he had about himself.  Also, he was on "Horse", as Mickey would say.

• Love 2

Funny, but I have a different view of Paulie G. The small clips of Room and Bored that we saw on the show made it look like a really awful, hacky show...I don't think he was striving for creative excellence. I think he was just a sellout asshole.

I don't think our views are that different. Room and Bored was a really awful, hacky show, regardless whether Valerie Cherish was in it. (As I said.) But I do think that in Paulie G's mind it had the potential to be a good show, and he delusionally thought he was striving for creative excellence, because mediocre talents like Paulie G always think they are better than they are. And always think that if only someone or something weren't there or weren't so, they could be great. Hacks don't want to know they're hacks.

But somewhere inside, despite shoving it into a place they're not in touch with, they do know it. And turn their hatred outward, so that they can go back to not knowing it. As CofCinci said.

Edited by Milburn Stone

Yeah, I thought mostly he wanted to tell a zany, bed-hopping "Friends"-ripoff with hot young things, but the network imposed this older has-been on him.  

The Comeback is one of my favorite things on the planet ever.  Having said that - the first 15-20 minutes really dragged for me.  Each scene seemed to last an eternity, and not in a great, Comeback-y awkward way.

It was a little draggy, but then I think the set up at the end of her working with Paulie G again is pretty fantastic.  

Edited by annlaw78

IMO, either Paulie G orchestrated, or simply took advantage of the situation of Valerie being there to read the part. What could be even better, to a psychopathic asshole like Paulie G, than creating a rewrite of his life where he gets to force someone he hated to say things they never did for a TV show?  What would be even better would be having the actual person and focus of his irrational hatred reduced to playing the PaulieGified version of themselves for his personal pleasure.

Yeah, I thought mostly he wanted to tell a zany, bed-hopping "Friends"-ripoff with hot young things, but the network imposed this older has-been on him.

As I recall, way back in season 1, episode 1, the show had been supposed to be about a bunch of single thirty-somethings and Valerie was supposed to be one of the roommates, but then the network decided to go sexy young thing and changed Valerie's role to the Aunt Sassy character. So I don't think Paulie would've hated her that much if she'd been part of the original plan. And it's also hard to believe anybody, even Paulie G., could imagine Room and Bored as a work of creative genius. I think he was just an asshole. 

• Love 1