Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: The Ecstasy of Agony

HalcyonDays

Great episode!! Henry's girlfriend in the flashback, WOW! How horrible! :(  If only he could have proved to her what he was telling her was the truth.  At the end of the episode, I guess Henry won't be seeing that Dominatrix lady anymore?

• Love 1

Spent whole episode wondering who Dominatrix was before it hit me it was Sara from White Collar.

Funny, I just saw her as Peyton from One Tree Hill from the minute she was on screen. 

I've just finished catching up on the last few episodes. I'm still enjoying the show. It's just a really easy watch, which is nice once in a while.

• Love 7

Great episode!! Henry's girlfriend in the flashback, WOW! How horrible! :(  If only he could have proved to her what he was telling her was the truth.  At the end of the episode, I guess Henry won't be seeing that Dominatrix lady anymore?

I'll bet he does.  Maybe off screen and implied for awhile, then they'd bring her back for some kind of return appearance later in the season.

It's not the kind of relationship the show will have outlast the season though, IMO.  Clearly (because they telegraph it so much), the show wants an Immortal version of Castle and Beckett with him and the cop eventually.

• Love 1

Funny, I just saw her as Peyton from One Tree Hill from the minute she was on screen. 

I've just finished catching up on the last few episodes. I'm still enjoying the show. It's just a really easy watch, which is nice once in a while.

Same! I don't watch White Collar and while I wasn't a One Tree Hill fan, I remember her being on the show.

I think Henry and the Dominatrix Therapist would be an interesting couple, but at some point, they'll hook him up with Jo.

• Love 2

Henry and the dominatrix reminded me of Grissom and Lady Heather on CSI. I always liked her better than Sara Sidle. I can see this dominatrix (Iona Payne?) coming back as we'll.

Yes, that was the other one I wasn't remembering besides Sherlock.  

Do three prominent examples in the same genre of TV, with similar participants on both sides (quirky crime solving males and female doms) make this into a Trope yet?

• Love 1

I'll bet he does.  Maybe off screen and implied for awhile, then they'd bring her back for some kind of return appearance later in the season.

It's not the kind of relationship the show will have outlast the season though, IMO.  Clearly (because they telegraph it so much), the show wants an Immortal version of Castle and Beckett with him and the cop eventually.

Oh I hope so. He and that Dominatrix lady are cute together. :)  And of course he will be with the cop lady eventually, but for right now he can date the other lady. :) I love how Henry was worried about his son getting his heart broken awww! :)

• Love 2

Since Abe's ex-wife never met (or heard of) Henry, I assume there was a long period of time where Henry was off somewhere and Abe didn't know where.  I'd like to hear more about that, and what brought them back together.  How long did Henry stick around while Abe was growing up?  How did Abe find out about Henry's "condition"?  

I'm not sure when I decided to like this show as much as i do, but it's very enjoyable.  Especially now that "Elementary" has gone all dark and angry (Holmes and Watson fighting all the time).  I like these upbeat whodunits without all the brooding.

• Love 8

I liked this episode.

Jo's reaction to Henry in the handcuffs was hilarious. She didn't want to be judgmental, but her face was like, "Wow."  Henry has a nice body.

And I like their conversation at the end of the ep, when Henry was about to tell about being shot--I doubt he would have given her the entire story, however.

Which reminds me: shouldn't Henry have more scars, since he's been assaulted several times over the years?

• Love 3

Off-screen/recurring guest star Dom Lady sounds about right to me too Kromm - it's the best of both worlds really.

I like these upbeat whodunits without all the brooding.

That's my love for this show in a nutshell. It's the tv version of easy listening, and I laughed far too hard at "He got tied up at work."

Which reminds me: shouldn't Henry have more scars, since he's been assaulted several times over the years?

I noticed that too and I think Henry's talk with Jo at the end inadvertently gave us the answer: All of his wounds reset at 'death' except that very first one. I'd always assumed it was the wound from his skewering in the Pilot but apparently not.

Edited by Jaded Sapphire
  • Love 5

It's like Castle a crime novel writer still being able to accompany the Police 7 years after he already wrote his book on Beckett. 

I did like that Henry was finally wrong. I get he's super smart but his being right about everything all the time was getting annoying. And I liked the Sherlock dig that Jo made. Jo has grown on me, I didn't really find her that interesting in the beginning but now I'm loving her. 

I hated Hillaire Burton on White Collar, but I did like her interactions with Henry on this show. So I wouldn't mind if she came back. 

One thing I do like about this show is they are not telegraphing a love story between Jo and Henry. There's no obvious flirting or they will be together beats. They are just two people that enjoy each other's company and like solving cases together. Jo has a partner with that other Detective, but I love that she refers to Henry as her partner instead. 

• Love 5

I also thought Henry had great chemistry with the dominatrix, and hope she sticks around for a bit. But I also agree they likely plan on putting him with Jo eventually.

This show has definitely grown on me. I had a lot of nitpicks at first, but it's become one of those enjoyable "switch your mind off" kinda shows that I find myself looking forward to every week. 

• Love 1
I assume there was a long period of time where Henry was off somewhere and Abe didn't know where.  I'd like to hear more about that, and what brought them back together.  How long did Henry stick around while Abe was growing up?  How did Abe find out about Henry's "condition"? 

There was a reference to this a couple weeks ago.  Abe talked about how he sold what he knew was a fake antique, and he mentioned how Henry wasn't around then.  I'm really curious to know more about what happened with them over the years.  The Henry/Abe relationship is the most interesting part of the show.

• Love 3

That nonsense of TV coroners/medical examiners questioning people about crime is a ridiculous tradition that, as far as I can tell, goes back to Quincy.  The idea formed the entire basis for Crossing Jordan and Rizzoli & Isles, among others.  I'm not sure we even saw Jordan anywhere near the morgue in any given episode.  The medical examiner on Rizzoli & Isles  -- whose name is either Rizzoli, or Isles -- absolutely never has more than one body to work on -- this is in a city the size of Boston! -- and has lots of time to shop for shoes during the day.  So Henry is really no more ridiculous than any other TV medical examiner, even given that he's supposed to be an immortal.

• Love 4

I do like this show. But I did laugh (and I don't think I was supposed to) when Henry grabbed a dagger that was for some reason (?) in his ME kit and said, "There's a thin line between pleasure and pain" with that little grin of his.  I was like, "What is this, CSI: Miami?!"  ("There's a thin line between pleasure..." *puts on sunglasses* "And pain." *cue The Who*)

I do feel bad that Nora didn't believe Henry, but really, what was she supposed to believe.  Her husband is all, "I'm immortal!" and then threatens to kill himself, I think it's pretty natural that she'd be like "...He belongs in a mental asylum." 

So glad Henry decided to hang out with ~the mortals~ in the bar.  Haha.

• Love 4

I do feel bad that Nora didn't believe Henry, but really, what was she supposed to believe.  Her husband is all, "I'm immortal!" and then threatens to kill himself, I think it's pretty natural that she'd be like "...He belongs in a mental asylum." 

Well sure, but he could have stabbed himself or something and then poof disappeared! :) Then call her up at home to come get him and bring his clothes with her. Then she would believe him. :) So simple!

Edited by sonyab
  • Love 2

I was bored.

Though the Nora part did get me thinking... if I had a miraculous resurrection, I don't think I would automatically assume I was immortal or go about trying to test my theory (as Henry was ready to do when Nora didn't believe him). I think it would take at least a few accidental deaths (and subsequent comebacks) before I felt comfortable killing myself to prove a point.

• Love 6

Though the Nora part did get me thinking... if I had a miraculous resurrection, I don't think I would automatically assume I was immortal or go about trying to test my theory (as Henry was ready to do when Nora didn't believe him). I think it would take at least a few accidental deaths (and subsequent comebacks) before I felt comfortable killing myself to prove a point.

Yeah, same here.  And if Henry was resurrected in water that first time, I think he would probably have just assumed that he somehow survived the shooting and go to shore somehow.  Unless he has some kind of mental experience between dying and being resurrected?

• Love 3

That nonsense of TV coroners/medical examiners questioning people about crime is a ridiculous tradition that, as far as I can tell, goes back to Quincy....

These days it's a sign not to take the show too seriously (like Body of Proof), and in this case we've got an immortal ME, so...

Whenever these plots get shark jumpingly silly, I just remind myself about Perry Mason getting the real murderer to confess every frickin' time during the trial of the innocent guy or woman.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
But I did laugh (and I don't think I was supposed to) when Henry grabbed a dagger that was for some reason (?) in his ME kit and said, "There's a thin line between pleasure and pain" with that little grin of his.

Dude could crack a tooth on all the scenery he chewed in that moment.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

Yeah, same here.  And if Henry was resurrected in water that first time, I think he would probably have just assumed that he somehow survived the shooting and go to shore somehow.  Unless he has some kind of mental experience between dying and being resurrected?

Well presumably his life flashed before his eyes, minus mini-Abe.

Now that you've brought it up though, it's clear the original ship never picked him back up. I now have this kinda horrifying (and kinda hilarious) image of Henry surfacing, seeing land, swimming for it, getting too tired and then drowning...only to surface in more or less the same spot he started in - like a death/water treadmill.

• Love 5

I've grown to really like this show and look forward to a little fun escape fiction with it each week.

I did not like the skanky dominatrix woman at all.   She brought out a kind of creepy side to Henry that was not attractive.   Other than that, I enjoyed the rest of the episode.   I love Abe and look forward to more character development on his part.    The ending when Henry joined the mortals for a drink was sweet.   The humor of the show lightens it up and makes an amusing contrast to some of the darker themes.  

Just an entertaining, easy-to-watch show, all around.

• Love 2

I was bored.

Yeah you got a good point there. He should have had a few experiments before telling her. :)

So glad Henry decided to hang out with ~the mortals~ in the bar.

And Lucas's reaction was so cute!

I hope the show keeps paying attention to my needs and keeps making IG disrobe as often as possible. I don't care how the Contrivance Fairy manages it.

• Love 11

Since Abe's ex-wife never met (or heard of) Henry, I assume there was a long period of time where Henry was off somewhere and Abe didn't know where.  I'd like to hear more about that, and what brought them back together.  How long did Henry stick around while Abe was growing up?  How did Abe find out about Henry's "condition"?

I hope we get more and more backstory about their (Henry and Abe's) relationship. I was definitely curious after he said Henry had never met his ex-wife.

One thing I thought was incorrect: Mistress told Henry something like, "You seem to be afraid of many things, but losing control is not one of them." I totally disagree with that. Henry is the epitome of Mr. In Control. He seems to be pretty fastidious about his work environment, his home environment, his personal dress, the way he lives his life. Perhaps because he's from a totally different (and much more uptight) era, and also perhaps because if he's in control of those areas of his life, then maybe he'll feel like he's also in control of who finds out his secret and when (or if they find out at all). I thought he seemed curious but also a bit terrified when he was handcuffed in her den, because he had no control over what she was going to do and if something would happen that would expose his secret.

Side note: I found it kind of hilarious that Henry seemed really bored at the beginning of the episode, to the point that he had placed his pipettes on each finger on his hand. That visual cracked me up.

• Love 3

I took it more as Henry was killing time waiting for his kid to come home from a night out. He then jumped on Abe like he was a teenager for being late and wanted to know where he was.

• Love 5

Before Abe came home, I expected Henry to mutter something about there being no interesting cases on the docket and no breakthroughs or possibilities to explore about his 'curse' (hence the boredom).

I do find it very interesting that the guy who is immortal doesn't seem to know how to savor life or even live it, while his son is out living. And without Abe there in the home as entertainment or distraction, Henry had run out of things to do and absolutely no one to converse or connect with. Small wonder Abe worries about what Henry will do when he's gone. It heartened me when Henry stepped outside his 'cave' and took a chance, spending some time with Jo, Lucas and the cops in the bar. Otherwise it seems he is very much alone and leads such a solitary existence, it's small wonder he has forgotten how to enjoy life. It's quite sad, actually. Which is a reason why I like this show, that it's a reminder to live your life to the fullest, enjoy yourself, connect with people and take time to pay attention to the little things because our time here is so very short.

• Love 4
I do find it very interesting that the guy who is immortal doesn't seem to know how to savor life or even live it, while his son is out living. And without Abe there in the home as entertainment or distraction, Henry had run out of things to do and absolutely no one to converse or connect with.

I think for Henry, it's become that after living for so long, and losing so many people, he has learned to live alone, to be alone, to not hurt others and himself. He is not allowing himself to savour life, because he knows those bonds he creates will only last for so long. For him, it's not even decades of time he can spend with people, because the people will age, but he does not. He gets maybe a decade, maybe a bit more with them. After a while, people would start to wonder why he isn't aging, so he has no choice but to have short term relationships, and it obviously hurts him and makes him turn inward. Easier to shut out everyone then to repeatedly get your heart broken.

I really like this show - it's really fallen into it's own. It's nice fluffy TV, but I enjoyed the characters and stories immensely. And I love the back and forth between Henry and Jo. Again, Alana de la Garza is so Beckett to me - her voice, her look - but in this case, Henry is not a goofball like Richard Castle. I like his personal angst and the flashbacks and everything. Ioan Gruffuld is awesome, as is Alana de la Garza. They have great banter, etc.

• Love 10

HalcyonDays, I think that's just about a perfect analysis of Henry and his situation. Clearly he can't tell everyone he meets about his situation, especially with the memory of how his first wife reacted. I don't recall if the show has addressed what happened with Abe's mother, but I can't imagine that in two hundred years, he's let all that many people into the inner circle. He tried to tell Nora before he had any understanding of what he was going through, so (I'm blanking on her name) I'd guess Abe's mother might have known, and other than Abe, there can't have been many others.

I'd love for them to visit Abe's reaction when he learned about Henry.

Anyway, while it looks like they're getting ready for him to hint at things to Jo, I wonder how small his clues to her will be. And Topanga, I agree that Henry should have a few more scars.

Thinking of Nora, they can take Henry back to the early 1800s any time they want. IG wears that era very well.

• Love 2

All of his wounds reset at 'death' except that very first one. I'd always assumed it was the wound from his skewering in the Pilot but apparently not.

I was wondering about this. When he was being tortured, I wondered if he would die and then come back with all those scars, or blind, or whatever was done to him prior to his death. But he's already been hit by a car, and had his throat slashed, so apparently whatever happens to him is erased with each resurrection. But, if he maimed himself, like if he lost an arm or something, in an accident that didn't kill him, and then died later, would he come back with a new arm? Confusing.

• Love 3

I'd love for them to visit Abe's reaction when he learned about Henry.

There's no single reaction they COULD visit for us.  Abe was raised by Henry and his then wife from such a young age that there wouldn't be a single moment the show could pinpoint.  When you are exposed to a weird situation as "normal" from an early age, it's the establishment that everybody else is different that's the reveal, not the weird situation itself, and that process happens gradually usually.

I was wondering about this. When he was being tortured, I wondered if he would die and then come back with all those scars, or blind, or whatever was done to him prior to his death. But he's already been hit by a car, and had his throat slashed, so apparently whatever happens to him is erased with each resurrection. But, if he maimed himself, like if he lost an arm or something, in an accident that didn't kill him, and then died later, would he come back with a new arm? Confusing.

We could what if this a bunch, but I don't think it's that necessary.  They imply that death resets him.  But he's not walking around like a Zombie, with bits hanging off of him, or even any disfigurement or limp.  We know he's experimented with countless suicides, and it just seems impossible they all led to instant death.  Ergo, the only logical conclusion I think we can come to is that the reset is to how he was the FIRST time he died.  The big wound in his chest seems to be the exception mainly because the hole was there the first time he died.  I imagine any scars he had elsewhere (smallpox scars might not be that uncommon for that age) would still be present too.

• Love 2

There's no single reaction they COULD visit for us.

Why not? Even as kids who don't understand things, there's usually a moment when they speak up and ask a question they never thought to ask before (back when they didn't need to ask because they didn't "see" it or realize it was unusual because it's just what they understand or are used to). Surely there had to be some moment when Henry might have gone through something, been critically injured, where Abe might have said, What the hell just happened? or Where did you go? or Why is this happening to you? or Why is Mom aging and you're not? or Why did you drive "Mom" away?

Abe's seen Henry die, probably more than once. It's become their routine - something happens to Henry, Abe picks him up from the river. LOL. So why wouldn't there be a "first time" when Abe sees it truly happen for the first time, when it's not just a theory he understands to be his father's reality but instead actually sees for the first time that his father will not or cannot seem to die?

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

There's no single reaction they COULD visit for us.  Abe was raised by Henry and his then wife from such a young age that there wouldn't be a single moment the show could pinpoint.  When you are exposed to a weird situation as "normal" from an early age, it's the establishment that everybody else is different that's the reveal, not the weird situation itself, and that process happens gradually usually.

My thinking might be something that a future season (I'm a dreamer, I know) could explore. I agree with you to a certain extent that Abe would see Henry as "normal." However, there also comes the moment that sinkwriter brings up... that moment Abe sees his mother, his teachers, friends, neighbors, even himself as getting older, yet his father... isn't.

In the context of the trust-building that we saw happening in this episode, that had to be huge for them both. In fact, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't that a concern Henry had when his wife originally wanted for them to adopt Abe?

It's fun for us to sit back and wonder about things like this and I'm glad we can do so with each other.

• Love 2

Exactly, caprice

In a very different, generalized way... it's like when I was a little girl and I noticed my maternal grandmother never turned grey-haired, while my paternal grandmother did. For a long time, that was just "normal" to me. I assumed my maternal grandmother was simply "lucky" and didn't get grey hair. But as I got older, I thought it was very unusual, and finally I made a comment to my mom about it, who started laughing and said, "Are you kidding? That's not real. She colors her hair!" I had never considered that because I'd never seen anyone do that before. It wasn't part of my scope. But there came a point when I had the question and actually asked it. 

I imagine there has to have been a point where Abe would do the same about his own father. And of course it would be even more dramatic if that question came after witnessing one of his father's "deaths" for the first time.

• Love 2

This is why I'd love for this show to last more than one season (fingers crossed!) - there's just SO much potential. It's light and fluffy and cheesy at times, but then there are the moments like Nora not believing Henry that are well done and make sense. As evidenced by our speculation here, there's still a lot to be explored with Abe. I kind of want to know what exactly happened with Abigail. And I'm totally okay with Henry x Jo happening down the line, because I think it will be interesting.

• Love 5

And I'm totally okay with Henry x Jo happening down the line, because I think it will be interesting.

I can see Henry stepping into the line of fire to save her, and of course that will let the cat out of the bag.  After that, their relationship can only get closer.  How much closer... well, let's wait and see!

• Love 3

I was bored.

He probably died quite a few times getting back home from the boat - long enough for it to reach the new world and a message to be sent back.

• Love 2

He probably died quite a few times getting back home from the boat - long enough for it to reach the new world and a message to be sent back.

You mean like a 'legend of olde'?

If they have Henry and Jo hook up before she finds out, it would provide a very different set of drama plots than if it goes the other way around. For instance, if he gets wounded and has what should be another life-long scar, then "dies," the next time she sees that area of his body without a scar will be Drama.

Also, if they first hook up and then she finds out, she'll probably be mad that he didn't tell her before she got invested in him emotionally.

If he risks his life to save hers several times, she would rightfully assume he is doing just that. If/when she finds out his secret, she will likely feel cheated/disappointed to learn that it wasn't such a big deal after all. But then she would gradually understand that more than "just" risking his life, he was willing to share his secret with her. *cue romantic acoustic guitar solo*

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Hmmm... maybe, maybe not. That makes me curious about the resurrection/ water part-- perhaps he always resurrects close to shore (as we've seen him do in the present) to avoid having to continually drown/ resurrect trying to get to shore. So the first time, he also might have been resurrected close to a shore (and therefore nowhere near the boat). Or did we see him surface near the boat in the first episode? I don't remember.

• Love 2

Actually Henry's resurrection from his first death is the only one they don't show us.

Resurrecting near shore (and naked) might explain why he was so convinced of his immortality after only one death - but it kills my idea for the death/water treadmill (pun intended).

• Love 2

Resurrecting near shore (and naked) might explain why he was so convinced of his immortality after only one death

But that still doesn't make sense to me. I could see realizing that it had been a resurrection (rather than just miraculous survival), but why wouldn't he assume it was a one shot deal?

my idea for the death/water treadmill (pun intended)

That would be hilarious :)

I'm also wondering about the various places Henry has lived, and what the nearest body of water was. If I was him, I think I'd want to live somewhere less polluted. I know he's immortal, but you'd still think he'd come down with some nasty infections...

• Love 3

Hmmm... maybe, maybe not. That makes me curious about the resurrection/ water part-- perhaps he always resurrects close to shore (as we've seen him do in the present) to avoid having to continually drown/ resurrect trying to get to shore. So the first time, he also might have been resurrected close to a shore (and therefore nowhere near the boat). Or did we see him surface near the boat in the first episode? I don't remember.

His wife said that she had received message that he had died; he went overboard.

Which to me, implies there was enough time for a message to get back to England.

I enjoyed this episode, although the previews of course were very misleading.  They talked about this dominatrix and then the next clip was Henry strung up on that X thing.  Implying that he compromises himself in the investigation.  Which of course, didn't happen.  He didn't indicate interest until after he was assured she was innocent of the murder.

Too bad about Nora, I guess I can't really blame her, she did seem to think he was geniuinely crazy.  Would like to see more of the backstory on this.  How did he escape the sanitarium?  I'm assuming he killed himself and disappeared, but it'd be interesting to see.  What would also be interesting is if Nora was pregnant, and somewhere he meets a blood descendant of his.

The part that really required suspension of disbelief was the male detective (Hansen?) and Jo finding the killer's cattle prod in the sewer.  The guy goes to lengths to follow the victim and zap him, but then drops his cattle prod and lets it wash away in the rain?  Uh huh.  The guy would have taken better care to keep the cattle prod with him, it's not like they are disposable and one shot use.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 2

Thinking of Nora, they can take Henry back to the early 1800s any time they want. IG wears that era very well.

Having first seen him as Horatio Hornblower, I can, with absolutely certainty, that IG is extremely well-suited to the fashions of that era.

But those scenes with Nora, particularly the one where he was being dragged off to the nuthouse, were heartbreaking.

• Love 1