Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Don't Let's Start

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

I suppose I'm in the minority because I loved this episode. Felt like a breath of fresh air from all the Grey family and Calzona drama. I feel like the writing, while still having flaws, is leaps and bounds better then season 9 and 10 combined and this was a great example of how to make numerous stories run cohesively without feeling whiplashed through different stories. 

I had read an interview where Sarah Drew talks about April feeling judged by her mother much like she is judged by her sisters and feeling they all are condescending to her because she's chosen a different life then they have. Knowing that I saw that in the episode, but if I hadn't read that then I am not sure I would have gotten it and that's a writing fail. I don't know if that little tidbit got cut somewhere, cause April tells Jackson that the sweetness from her mother was condescension when it really wasn't, and we have April telling her mother how she's not going to apologize for the life she chose, so we have these two tidbits but we don't know where they stem from. Without knowing that, I can see how April's behavior would seem just mean and "shrew" like to the general observer. I wish the writers had been more clear on this. 

I did love Jackson this episode though. He was so there for April and I loved the communication between the two and the character progression. A baby storyline and the fear of said raising babies is not a new thing but it's something thats never really been explored on this show and I like that they are going there with Jackson and April. Anything to get some insight into Jackson's character is welcome to me. The part that sticks out the most two days later (I watched wednesday) is Jackson telling April he didn't have grandparents falling over themselves to love him. I thought that statement was just so sad, and it made me think of Jackson in a new way. I liked that he said that to April and was encouraging her to give her mother a break.

I liked April's mom more than I thought I would. I thought she would be too overbearing and too sickly sweet, and she was not too much of either. I will say though, April had every right to be mad they bought all that stuff for the nursery without any input from her. Just cause she hasn't done it yet doesn't mean she doesn't want to pick a theme or decorate her baby's nursery and it's crappy they took that away from her. So I was with her with that one. But April's mom didn't do that thing where she gets all butt hurt and guilts April into apologizing, she stepped right up and demanded it cause April was rude to her, I liked that. 

I wish more time was spent on it cause I feel there were a few plot holes that the viewer (if they care to do so) has to fill on their own but I enjoyed Mama Kepner's visit and hope we see her again. 

Just cause it has to be said, I've missed Jackson and April immensely and seeing them together again and this way was such a thrill for me. 

I even enjoyed Bailey and I haven't enjoyed her in a long time. She was everything I love about her without all the holier than thou-ness. Her faces while looking at Maggie running and about to start her own are so me, lol.

I loved that there was Jo story that felt at least somewhat organic. Who on this show hasn't totally internalized their patients dilemma (although this was a little on the head but whatever) and I liked the moment between Alex and Jo. After having an unstable childhood she craves stability, which makes losing Alex and what he represents to her scary. I agree though with some other posters, if she's that afraid, take steps to take of yourself. But in the moment it was a genuine worry and I liked how Alex was there for her. 

What I didn't care for was Alex going into that surgery to check out the situation between Hermann and Arizona. It screamed "big man taking care of wittle wimpy woman". It seemed like a scene that replaced what Callie would have done for her but privately. I like where Alex's motivation came from, but the scene rubbed me the wrong way.

Derek's heart is in the right place but he has no right trying to push a sister Meredith just found about on to her when he's no prince to his own sisters. Talking about how great big families are, when was the last time he talked to his own without contempt when they've been on the show. I think meredith is doing the best she can with that situation and that is giving Maggie some space and letting her call the shots. 

I don't know why, but Derek's "I need a shower too" came off more creepy then sexy to me and I didn't like the shower scene...it felt off...and I thought the dirty cheating prom sex was hot. Plus how rude to bombard your guests into coming and then leave them waiting. Glad you got your rocks off Derek :/

I even liked the little Owen we got. 

Overall I thought this was a well done episode that reintroduced characters the show has neglected for five episodes. I was worried the writing in the first five wouldn't translate to the others and Im glad to see I was wrong. 

Edited by moonorchid
  • Love 3

I had read an interview where Sarah Drew talks about April feeling judged by her mother much like she is judged by her sisters and feeling they all are condescending to her because she's chosen a different life then they have. Knowing that I saw that in the episode, but if I hadn't read that then I am not sure I would have gotten it and that's a writing fail. I don't know if that little tidbit got cut somewhere, cause April tells Jackson that the sweetness from her mother was condescension when it really wasn't, and we have April telling her mother how she's not going to apologize for the life she chose, so we have these two tidbits but we don't know where they stem from. Without knowing that, I can see how April's behavior would seem just mean and "shrew" like to the general observer. I wish the writers had been more clear on this. 

Yes, thank you, you have articulated exactly what I thought was wrong with April's storyline: I couldn't figure what the hell her motivation was. I would have supposed it was because they did all the nursery stuff without her except that April had a chip on her shoulder about her mother from the second she showed up and it was never explained. I think a scene got cut or something.

• Love 2

I will say one of my favorite parts was April telling Jackson she was a jerk and him agreeing with her replying, "this is the part where you say noo you're not the jerk, I was the jerk" and Jacksons reply, "but I wasn't and you were"...it was charming and cute and sweet but under that it showed such progress in that relationship. I always felt that if Jackson just called out April on her behavior in season 9 then they wouldn't have gone through half of what they did, and I like April admitting when she was wrong to him. They are close enough to call each other out and know it's from a place of love. Great scene. 

And yes, baby books are the scariest read you can find!

• Love 4

I didn't get that vibe at all, since Arizona wasn't actually covering for her boss.  Geena Davis' character (sorry, can't remember the name) didn't ask Arizona to cover for her; she expects Arizona to learn and remember everything she knows about fetal surgery so that her knowledge doesn't die with her.  Still a pretty big burden, though.  Maybe GD's character should write it all down in a book as well.

I think she does expect her to cover for her though... She said that she could teach Arizona a year's worth of stuff in 6 months OR Arizona can go to Owen and the board and everything she has to teach will go away forever.

Surprised they had Meredith say "Obama." I thought for sure they would have used "Fitz" as the President to tie into Shonda Thursday or what ever they call it. 

Shonda has said a few times in the past, in interviews and on Twitter, that Obama is the president in the Grey's universe. 

• Love 2
Bailey's son is Tucker George Bailey Jones IIRC

It's William George Bailey Jones, but they always call him "Tuck" for his father Tucker.

Thanks for the catch.  That makes no sense to me.  I could see his real name being Tucker and calling him William to avoid confusion with his dad.  

I will say one of my favorite parts was April telling Jackson she was a jerk and him agreeing with her replying, "this is the part where you say noo you're not the jerk, I was the jerk" and Jacksons reply, "but I wasn't and you were"...it was charming and cute and sweet but under that it showed such progress in that relationship.

I loved that not only did Jackson call her out but that April's reaction was to laugh which was progress on her part (as opposed to getting defensive and arguing with him about it). If they can continue to communicate honestly like this, then I think that they will be fine.

I also liked that Jackson was running interference and volunteering to spend time with her mom. Mr. EB has done something similar with a relative (who is nowhere near as nice as April's mom!) and I was so grateful to have that off my plate.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

How does Derek or Amelia not catch wind about Dr. Herman's inoperable tumor? First of all, wouldn't Herman want to see the best of the best (Derek), or at least seek treatment at her own hospital, therefore news running through their department and one of the Shepherd's finding out that "one of their own" is really sick??

Maybe it's just that Arizona's choice not to tell Owen and the board won't be made to be that big of a deal, because I don't see how Derek or Derek-via-Amelia wouldn't know about this. And Derek is on the board after all.

Or maybe this is just another one of Grey's inconsistencies.

Edited by funnygirl

OK, I kinda felt for April tonight.  There's no way they should have decorated the baby's room without her.  

I cringed when she walked into the room because I already knew how that would go over.   Baby shopping with your husband and picking out strollers and nursery themes is one of the fun parts, especially with your first kid.  Coming home to find out that someone else did it without your input would be a major disappointment.

And yes, baby books are the scariest read you can find!

For real.  They should just change the title to 1001 Ways You're Going to Fuck Up Your Kid and be done with it.

Did April's mom fly to Seattle for 1 day?  What was the point?

Edited by rachel1496
  • Love 2
what exactly DOES she expect from him? She clearly carrying a grudge of some kind, but I for one, have no idea what this girl is so upset about. If nothing, then can she please just go away?

She's upset that Webber didn't tell her he was her father the second he heard she was Ellis's kid.  Which is ridiculous.  And if she was serious that she just wants to know her history she wouldn't be so emotional about the whole thing.  She'd say, I wish I knew sooner, but now tell me about my biological history.  Like maybe about alcoholism or other diseases that might be in her DNA.  It's like she's more personally offended that he didn't immediately fall all over her.

• Love 4

She read all of Ellis's journals in five minutes, because she's a genius. Then she gets up early to run a few miles without breaking a sweat, because she's a superhuman. In a rare moment of almost-fallibility, she brings wine to the "family dinner" with Webber without knowing he's an alcoholic. Next week she will probably singlehandedly negotiate peace in the Middle East to make up for it.

And she'll still have time to feed the homeless in Seattle! Because she is perfection in a lab coat.

I really hope now that Arizona and Callie are moving on (at least until Shonda decides to re-start that merry-go-round) we at least get to see Arizona go back to being a good surgeon again. And smiling too.

• Love 1

I enjoyed Bailey and her husband this episode. He may be the best thing that ever happened to her. Maggie is being as bad as Meridith when Mer discovered she had a sister, so I expect Maggie to accept Richard in a few episodes.  Unless Alex is charging her rent, which I doubt, Jo should have a nice amount saved to put a deposit on a nice apartment. I do feel for Richard because I always thought that he was a man who wanted children.

Here's my idea. It's awful, but it's consistent.

Maggie wakes up in the middle of the night to find a stranger sitting on the end of her bed reading the last volume of the Ellis Journals. "Hey, what are you doing in here?" "Oh, just comparing. You know your own writing parallels your mother's so much. But your career was a lot more like Meredith's. By the way, did Ellis ever say she was disappointed in you for not being extraordinary? Because she said that to Mere once." "Put that down!" "Oh, sure. No problem, i've already read them all so now i know everything that's in them." "Who the hell are you?" "Oops, sorry, i get impulsive like that and forget my manners. I'm your quarter sister Lexi." "Quarter sister?" "Well that assumes that the transitive property can be applied to familial relationships."

After that, Maggie will wander around the hospital, with Lexi talking a mile a minute, telling her stuff about the people they pass, and how many times someone had sex in each private or semi private space. Maggie keeps forgetting that no one else can sell Lexi, so people keep thinking she's talking to herself. Finally Sloane shows up to take Lexi away-- but not before they have spooky floaty sex over a surgical table while Maggie is trying to prep for an operation.

Edited by dr pepper
  • Love 7

I wasn't as mad at April as she might have deserved - only because I think the idea of being super annoyed with your own mother, even though she's being super nice, is not that weird. Everyone finds their own mother annoying/frustrating even when she doesn't appear to be doing anything wrong.  I think April is used to her mom NOT getting her life choices, so she assumes that everything her mom does is a part of judging her. I think it played out exactly the way it was supposed to: April behaving like a judged child, her mom rightfully scolding her, then explaining, and finally Jackson being hot, I mean, understanding. And hot. He's super hot.

This is more or less what I thought. Was April unnecessarily nasty to her mother? Yes. But I actually did think that, between what we know of April's upbringing and what can remember of her sisters, I didn't need to have it explicitly spelled out for me that April is used to being judged/not understood by her mother, so I'm not too bothered that they didn't delve into all the details of why April was pissy. I found her mother to be fairly sweet and well-meaning, but also like someone who does sweep in and try to take care of everyone and everything. Translate that to the larger scale of long-term exposure and I can see why sometimes it might just be too much. That said, since she didn't actually do anything wrong, I'm glad that April did come around to realize that she was being unreasonable and apologized. I thought the whole thing played out fairly realistically.

I don't get why Maggie is mad at Richard? She doesn't expect him to be a father, she doesn't expect him to apologize what exactly DOES she expect from him? She clearly carrying a grudge of some kind, but I for one, have no idea what this girl is so upset about. If nothing, then can she please just go away?

At this point, I feel like she just wants to be mad, so she is. Logic and reason are not playing a particularly large part in this scenario at the moment.

• Love 1

Did anyone else feel like the writers for this episode were a little too "inspired" by Masters of Sex? I'm finally catching up on Season 2 so it's fresh in my mind, but I couldn't help but think that the Geena Davis storyline (still don't know the character's name) was practically identical to the Dr. DePaul storyline in MoS... tough-on-the-surface female doctor is dying of terminal brain cancer and is trying to pass on her life's work to her protege, who is also helping to cover up the illness from the rest of the hospital. Just struck me as a little too similar! (And also not as well-executed). Combine that with Nicholas D'Agosto (Ethan Haas on MoS) popping up earlier in the season and it's all a little too coincidental!

I can't really connect with Davis's character and I kind of don't understand her point--it almost feels like they edited out some crucial backstory, because I have zero sense of who she is, and she's such a limited presence on screen in general that it makes it really difficult to figure her out. The cancer thing helps explain her intensity, but there's no humanity there, and I don't get why she's so mean to Arizona (or what she's like outside of that relationship. I feel like the only other character we've seen her interact with in a semi-normal way was Amelia, a few episodes ago. Just wish they were portraying her in a more interesting/three-dimensional way, especially given that Davis is clearly capable of handling much stronger material!

Overall, this episode was a huge letdown from last week's, which was the first in a long time that actually held my interest. I don't care about any of the characters anymore, although I did like that there was actually some real MerDer interaction, for once. I HATE Maggie and wish they'd stop stuffing this storyline down our throats!

I can't really connect with Davis's character and I kind of don't understand her point...

I think the point will be for Arizona's sake. She's going to suffer another loss via death, and it's something that she doesn't deal well with. Her brother, her friend Nick, Mark...she can't get away from loss. Maybe she will finally deal with it since they seem ready to flesh her out as an individual. I stress maybe.

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am by the Arizona and Dr. Herman situation.

The only reason Arizona would have not to reveal Dr. Herman's illness is selfish.  She wants the fellowship to work because she has nothing else.  Apparently she has forgotten about her daughter.  That's okay, so have the writers.  While on the subject, if she's staying at the hospital, when is she spending time with Sofia outside of work?  Callie made it clear in their conversation that she didn't know that Arizona was staying at the hospital.

It's not like she would be keeping the secret to protect Dr. Herman.  While I think the storyline would allow Arizona to get her medical mojo back, I just would have a hard time getting behind her after that.

She's also trying to preserve the knowledge that Herman has.  While herman could just tell her, we've seen throughout this series that surgeons learn by doing.  It's not completely selfish, but it is ill-considered.  As another poster said, if she has a seizure while operating, some baby is going to pay the price.

• Love 1

So Arizona thinks she gave up her marriage because she wanted to do the fellowship? Was she even listening in the counselling sessions? She is so self-absorbed, I see why Callie could not be in a relationship with her.

No, Arizona said that there were a lot of reasons why she and Callie were splitting up, but that the fellowship was the nail in the coffin. Which is a reasonable enough assessment, since that prompted Callie's assumption that Arizona didn't want to have a baby, which led them to the counseling and the therapist-recommended break that resulted in Callie realizing she wanted the break to be permanent. Up until Arizona got the fellowship, Calzona had been limping along - not doing well, they'd buried a million things, but they'd been limping along. They'd still be together, at least for the time-being, if Arizona hadn't taken the fellowship.

She's also trying to preserve the knowledge that Herman has.  While herman could just tell her, we've seen throughout this series that surgeons learn by doing.  It's not completely selfish, but it is ill-considered.  As another poster said, if she has a seizure while operating, some baby is going to pay the price.

I think preserving the knowledge is Herman's reason, but in my opinion, Arizona's is what she told Alex.  It's all she has left and it has to work.

If she was at all thinking clearly she would see what a nightmare mess she is opening up the hospital and the board to, but she's not.

Did anyone else feel like the writers for this episode were a little too "inspired" by Masters of Sex? I'm finally catching up on Season 2 so it's fresh in my mind, but I couldn't help but think that the Geena Davis storyline (still don't know the character's name) was practically identical to the Dr. DePaul storyline in MoS... tough-on-the-surface female doctor is dying of terminal brain cancer and is trying to pass on her life's work to her protege, who is also helping to cover up the illness from the rest of the hospital. Just struck me as a little too similar! (And also not as well-executed). Combine that with Nicholas D'Agosto (Ethan Haas on MoS) popping up earlier in the season and it's all a little too coincidental!

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking when I watched this episode.  I don't know if it was inspired by it or not, but Masters of Sex did it so much better.  Geena Davis is really not doing it for me here.  I watched Beetlejuice recently and she was so much less wooden and more natural in that.

I agree that Jo was freaking out about getting too happy and comfortable in her situation with Alex, rather than about having a place to live.  The scene was good, but would have been so much more meaningful if they hadn't completely dropped the "Jo is jealous of Meredith" storyline.  I like seeing her vulnerabilities come out and appreciate the more subtle way they are doing it now versus when she was first introduced.

What I didn't care for was Alex going into that surgery to check out the situation between Hermann and Arizona. It screamed "big man taking care of wittle wimpy woman". It seemed like a scene that replaced what Callie would have done for her but privately. I like where Alex's motivation came from, but the scene rubbed me the wrong way.

I didn't really see it that way.  It seemed to me that Alex was really interested in the procedure and only spoke up when GD got excessively rude.  He probably should have kept his mouth shut, but he didn't really strike me as overly paternalistic.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 4

I don't get why Maggie is mad at Richard? She doesn't expect him to be a father, she doesn't expect him to apologize what exactly DOES she expect from him? She clearly carrying a grudge of some kind, but I for one, have no idea what this girl is so upset about. If nothing, then can she please just go away?

Seriously. Can someone, ANYONE, explain to me why in the hell Maggie is so angry at Richard? Because it makes no. damn. sense. She's angry because he didn't tell her she was his father, when he had no clue that Ellis was pregnant? She's angry because he assumed he should start acting like a dad after having the bombshell of having a secret daughter, but he was somehow supposed to know that she didn't want him to be a "dad" to her because in addition to being a recovering alcoholic, he's supposed to be clairvoyant? She has no heart whatsoever, and this is coming from someone who liked her up until her irrational hate for Richard became unbearable.

• Love 5

To me, it screams lack of empathy. I can sort of see being irritated with him realizing that he was her father and not telling her for a while there, but if you just take a step back for a moment and look at things from his perspective, it's not bloody hard to see how such a realization could kind of blow his mind a little and leave him reeling and unsure of how to proceed. If she had even a shred of empathy, she'd clue into that, instead of just seeing it as some kind of twisted or malicious deliberate lie.

• Love 2

Can we discuss the level of mansplaining on this episode? Mansplaining is a feature of this show and having men calm down hysterical and irrational women is too, but out of control this episode. I can't stand the notion that professional women just ned a man to take them in hand, save them, correct them, give them perspective, or put them on the right path. Do we need every single man doing this to every single woman? Just for one episode could it be just one or two men doing this? 

I disagree about mansplaining, which I tend to think of as prominent male characters justifying what they're doing to the secondary female characters who need to be educated. The men may be "spazz wranglers" (per se) on Grey's, but the women are the main characters. April is driving the pregnancy storyline, not Jackson. Meredith is the one with issues with her sister, not Derek. Arizona is embarking on a new fellowship, not Alex. All the men do is react to the women. I see Grey's as delving into how women feel about their mothers, their estranged sisters, their new bosses -- and the men not really understanding it. I suppose I don't see the women as irrational as much as I see the men as emotionally clueless.
  • Love 7

I totally bought the April/Mama Kepner storyline. While the writers often seem to forget characterization from previous seasons, they seemed on the ball with remembering April's strained relationship with her family, all of whom just seem so darned well meaning just love her to pieces (gag). That is, unless I'm remembering incorrectly. I think the only thing more frustrating than being outwardly judged/put down by people who care about you (e.g., siblings, parents, in laws) is being subtly/passive-aggressively judged or put down. Having mom ship the generations-old crib for use for baby Kepner-Avery was overstepping (Jackson shouldn't have helped Mama K conspire to that effect). That actually hit a sore spot with me, because I had a serious issue with my MIL insisting that she was going to use a crib that had either been in the attic or that she'd found at a yard sale to keep at her house for my baby, despite me saying that it wasn't safe. It was old enough that the slats  didn't meet current standards for spacing, but since *she'd* never known of anyone whose baby had had an accident with the crib, I was obviously being ungrateful. Thank God my husband backed me up when I told him that I'd find the CPSC reports that backed me up.

Jackson and April talked to each other like mature adults who respect and love each other. I am so thrilled to see that in my Grey's characters. 

• Love 2

Yeah, well Patrick Dempsey said on Kimmel that now that they were on at 8 p.m. (7 central!), there would be "no thrusting" in the sex scenes.

Oh, OK. So they can show open bowels and entrails and blood gushing forth like a geyser, but no thrusting. Got it.

I'm still annoyed as hell that Maggie is mad at Richard for something that she did herself. Richard did not admit to her that he was her father the split second he realized it. Uh, Maggie? You do realize that you worked side by side with Meredith for weeks without admitting to her that you were her sister, don't you? Do you not see the irony there? More importantly, do the writers not see the irony? 

Moreover, Richard could not be 100% positive he was Maggie's father. He could do the math and make a pretty good guess but without a DNA test there's no 100%. Whereas with Meredith, it's for sure, if Maggie's biological mother was Ellis Gray, then Meredith is her sister. Which makes Maggie's omission far worse than Richard's. 

Instead of bending over backwards trying to appease her, I'd rather see Meredith and Richard join forces and flat-out accuse this woman of pulling something shady here. 

• Love 2
The men may be "spazz wranglers" (per se) on Grey's, but the women are the main characters.

Yes.  On Grey's, the men spend a lot of time telling the women how they should clean up their acts.  But on Grey's, that just means that the women are the heroines and the men are the droll sidekicks.  Or, the women are the classical protagonists and the men are the Greek chorus.  Or, the women all are heroes on a quest for self-discovery, and the men are their Magical Negroes.   

• Love 1

While I agree that there did seem to be an excess of men telling women what to do in this particular episode, the reverse happens often enough that it didn't bother me too much.  We had Bailey chastising Ben for his eating habits last season (to name just one incident of the gazillion of Bailey telling someone what to do), Catherine is constantly undercutting what Richard and Jackson have to say, and Meredith (and seemingly every other character)is always condescendingly lecturing Alex on how to feel and how to live his life. 

In other words, this show is full of bossy, condescending know-it-alls, male and female!

• Love 2

I'm still annoyed as hell that Maggie is mad at Richard for something that she did herself. Richard did not admit to her that he was her father the split second he realized it. Uh, Maggie? You do realize that you worked side by side with Meredith for weeks without admitting to her that you were her sister, don't you? Do you not see the irony there? More importantly, do the writers not see the irony? 

I didn't even think about that, but you're absolutely right. Unless she starts eating babies or something, I'm not even sure how I could dislike her more at this point.

• Love 2

Finally saw the episode and liked it for the most part.  No one got on my nerves, and Stephanie was as I like her - virtually invisible.  I rarely feel for Arizona, but I was feeling for her.  She's just used to flashing that big smile and winning people over.  I liked Alex first telling her to put her big girl panties on, then defending her, then being her confidant.  I like her most with him.

I liked Hunt and homeless veteran.  I think he shines with the military storylines.  For the first time in a long time, I didn't want to slap Bailey.  And I actually laughed when they were in bed and he said something about her reading horror stories and then punching him.

I like April and Jackson so it was nice to see them.  I thought April and Jo looked especially pretty - I love SD's pale skin.  Mine's just as pale, but I can't quite swing it like her.

The Gina Davis storyline was already told last season on Masters of Sex.  The female humorless doctor is fiercely driven to make pap tests available to everyone because ...... she's dying of cervical cancer.  The Mary Sue of the show is the person who will carry her torch, etc.

I felt a little bad for Richard when he told Maggie all parents make mistakes and then she tells him rather coldly - you're not my father.  Yikes.  I am irritated that she seems so driven to know and understand her biological mother (who's not worth the bother), but rejects the living biological parent standing right there.  He's a lot warmer and likeable, that's for sure.

Derek, as usual you make some grand gesture and get all judgmental of anyone who doesn't agree that your ideas, opinions and plans are the bomb.... You make everyone feel guilty for not being as perfect as you are... Only for your typical selfishness to kick in, where you leave your invited guests waiting on the porch. I get why Meredith lost track of time - she never wanted to have the dinner in the first place. But you? No. As always, you are such a dick. And you are the scariest TYPE of dick because you think you are always right and a saint. And BTW, that shower scene was horrific. Totally awkward and no chemistry whatsoever. And I swear, every time Derek and Meredith have a bonding moment, it is the expense of someone else. 

Owen, love your highlights. You are looking fine, and I LOVED that patient so much.

Jackson, you were adorable and so good to April and to her mom. Good man.

Alex, where are you? i miss you! Why does Arizona get more screen time than you??

Arizona, I resent you saying you traded your marriage and have basically nothing left besides this stupid fellowship. I resent that for SOPHIA. Be a freaking parent and prioritize, please.

Something was way weird with this episode. I just felt a sense of dread throughout it. I honestly expected Bailey to collapse, or April to miscarry, or Jo to go apeshit and tear somebody's eyes out. it just felt weird.

The Puzzle Whisperer bothered me a lot less this episode- mainly because she wasn't there much.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 1

I felt a little bad for Richard when he told Maggie all parents make mistakes and then she tells him rather coldly - you're not my father.  Yikes.  I am irritated that she seems so driven to know and understand her biological mother (who's not worth the bother), but rejects the living biological parent standing right there.  He's a lot warmer and likeable, that's for sure.

Gah! Yet another point in her disfavour.

• Love 1

I find this Maggie story so odd, and you touch on why here.  She seems oddly detached about being given up for adoption, about Ellis, having a sister and a father she'd never met, supposedly not really wanting to know them, just wanting to know about Ellis.  She's playing it as though she's merely curious about Ellis.  Yet she is filled with anger at Richard and Meredith!  I think she doesn't want to admit, maybe to herself, how upset she is deep down inside about Ellis and being given up for adoption.  It's easier to take it out on Richard and Meredith. 

I think that it's easier for her emotionally to get to know Ellis because Ellis is dead... In learning about Ellis there's no feeling conflicted and torn between old family and new family, no feeling like she's betraying her parents or ditching them for her biological parents. Forging a relationship with Richard would lead to those sorts of emotional conflicts for her, and possibly for her adopted parents too. 

• Love 1