Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

One thing I don't understand is why EJ, who places such importance on genetic family links treats Kristen so well when she's not really his kid, but really IS a major liability.

I think EJ is very family oriented, and the fact that Kristen is not his biological sister doesn't matter to him.  I think he also realizes that for better or worse he wouldn't be alive if it weren't for Kristen. 

More profoundly EJ was always at his best and most honest and vulnerable with Lexi.  So I think since her death he has transferred the "little brother" relationship to Kristen.  

It was nice to finally see Nicole smile again yesterday, and for Sami to stand up for herself with her idiot son today.  Like some others, I hope Sami's reconciliation with EJ is part of her and Kate's long con.  EJ and Abby haven't suffered nearly enough.

Kristen goading Marlena was the first time I've enjoyed her character since she's been back.  But I still don't like Kristen, what with her being a crazy, unrepentant rapist and all.  Maybe if she wasn't so smug and wore better clothes she'd be easier to take.

Why can't they give Kayla something more interesting to do than prop annoying characters like Jen, Abby, and Dr. Tan?  She deserves better.  I'd rather watch her sharpen pencils and read a magazine than another scene with Ollie and Abigail.  Those two are soooooo fucking boring and weird looking.  Can't they go do whatever it is they're doing off screen?

But either way, seeing Jenn's face crunch up like an apple doll left to molder in the corner of a dank basement just makes me feel so GOOD inside!

Ahahaha!  She really does have an amorphous, Odo-like face.  Jennifer just can't go a day without feeling victimized by one thing or another.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 2

Yeah, EJ's also embraced those kids of Sami's that he isn't the biological father of, so I don't think blood matters that much to him. I know he came on with the whole "I must father a baby!" thing but that was about getting an ill Stefano a donor of some kind - I forget the exact specifics now.

Plus, Kristen looks like his mother, and she's been part of the DiMera family since before he was born - for decades before he was born. He would always have known her as a fellow DiMera, as family. It's one thing to have issues perceiving a non-biological relative as your family when they're a late addition from your POV (i.e. you were there before them), which is how Kristen and Tony were able to be in love even though she was his adopted sister, but EJ would never have known Kristen as anything but his adopted sister, daughter of Stefano. Chances are it wasn't even explained to him for a long time that Kristen isn't a biological DiMera. That fact has never been important to Stefano or Kristen.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 1

Whaaaaaat?? Kristen is not Stefano's biologically? Who are her parents, and how did she end up a Dimera? And she was in love with Tony??????

EJ's mother is one of the crazy Eileen Davidson characters, right?

Kristen and her biological brother Peter Blake were adopted/raised by Stefano when they were around 8 or 9.  Their parents are The Blakes from New Orleans.  Stefano was in love/infatuated with Peter and Kristen's mother Rachel Blake and wanted her to run away with him, I believe she refused.  Rachel and her husband "died" in a fire, one that I believe Stefano may have started over his rage that Rachel wouldn't leave her husband and run off with him.  

Anyway Kristen and Peter were adopted by Stefano after the Blake's died.  Kristen was sent primarily to boarding schools during her adolescence while Peter was kept close to home and raised primarily by Celeste (Lexi's mother) and Stefano.  By this time Stefano and Celeste were not a couple anymore but she did still work for him.

Years later we did find out that Rachel was still alive and in New Orleans.  She had a mental breakdown (sound familiar) after the fire and went around town as the "Woman in white".  She later died in Salem during the time that Kristen was going crazy.

EJ's mother is Susan Banks a look a like to Kristen.  Stefano impregnated her in order to help Kristen pass off a baby after her and John Black's baby miscarried.  That is how EJ came into the picture.

Yes, years ago Kristen was married to Tony Dimera.  It wasn't weird because Kristen and Tony never grew up together and didn't really know each other until they were adults.  By the time Kristen and Peter were adopted Tony was around 18, 19.  Also Tony is not Stefano's biological son, so there was never any weird incestual vibe to Tony and Kristen being together.

Hope this helps.

Edited by JBC344

No worries,  back in the day Daphne (Tony's mother, Stefano's ex-wife) revealed that Tony was the biological son of her and the gardener that she had an affair with.  Truth be told, outside of the initial plot back then I don't remember it ever really coming up again.  It seemed like one of those things that the writers let slide or that we the viewers were to just forget about.  So Tony not being Stefano's son may have been retconed or just brushed aside.

Kate tried to kill someone in a hotel room, and Stephano took the evidence and cleaned up the room.  That's how he got Kate to marry him.

I think that she tried to kill Daniel. Although I've lost count as how many people she's tried to kill....

Sami doesn't seem quite as devil-ish to me as Kate, however entertaining she might be.

I think that she tried to kill Daniel. Although I've lost count as how many people she's tried to kill....

Sami doesn't seem quite as devil-ish to me as Kate, however entertaining she might be.

If I'm not mistaken I believe when Stefano blackmailed Kate into marriage it was over her trying to kill Chloe.

t wasn't weird because Kristen and Tony never grew up together and didn't really know each other until they were adults.  By the time Kristen and Peter were adopted Tony was around 18, 19.

Yes, and Kristen made it clear she never saw Tony as her brother. I remember her reminiscing about how growing up, she would see him in awesome cars whenever he came home for visits from college and wish he would notice her, as she was already madly in love with him. But it wasn't until she got older that he did notice her and fell in love with her as well. But before that, the age gap was too much for him to really take notice of her as either a love interest or as a sibling.

One of the things I liked about the Tony/Kristen/John triangle was that in the early years it was more balanced. I mean, yes, it was always clear that if not for various circumstances that occurred throughout that story, Kristen's choice would be John, but she did genuinely love Tony as well and was happy with him for most of their marriage. So it was a reasonably legitimate triangle instead of one of those tiresome one-sided "triangles" where it's really just the couple and the interloper (usually crazy or evil or both), and as such, the length of time it went on for made sense.

• Love 2

Kate started poisoning Chloe in retaliation for her cheating on Lucas with Dan and planned on making it look like Dan murdered her

I love little sentences like this. They usually make me laugh out loud. I wish real life was this ridiculous! :D

• Love 7

Yes, and Kristen made it clear she never saw Tony as her brother. I remember her reminiscing about how growing up, she would see him in awesome cars whenever he came home for visits from college and wish he would notice her, as she was already madly in love with him. But it wasn't until she got older that he did notice her and fell in love with her as well. But before that, the age gap was too much for him to really take notice of her as either a love interest or as a sibling.

One of the things I liked about the Tony/Kristen/John triangle was that in the early years it was more balanced. I mean, yes, it was always clear that if not for various circumstances that occurred throughout that story, Kristen's choice would be John, but she did genuinely love Tony as well and was happy with him for most of their marriage. So it was a reasonably legitimate triangle instead of one of those tiresome one-sided "triangles" where it's really just the couple and the interloper (usually crazy or evil or both), and as such, the length of time it went on for made sense.

Ah, the good ol days of Days.  When the writers would put in the effort to show all sides of a triangle and not telegraph who the "winner" will be before it even starts. 

I have to say as much as I love Kristen and Peter, there is a part of me that is annoyed that out of all of Stefano's children Kristen, Peter, EJ, and Chad are the ones that have survived.   Tony, Lexi, Meghan, Renee, Benjy, hell even Andre had a charm about him.  At least if Benjy was still alive we could get a Kayla storyline out of it.

If I'm not mistaken when Benjy was killed during the Colleen/Santo storyline, I believe he told Celeste that he had a wife and child at home who he was worried about.  This was when Celeste was urging him to go back home or go into hiding to keep him away from everything. 

Why not have Benjy's wife and child show up and connect with Kayla to give her a storyline, and considering EJ and Kristen are out the door, and Chad is possibly coming back, a new generation of Dimeras might be interesting.  Make Benjy's child an 18 year old daughter for JJ.

• Love 1

I am supremely disappointed that my girl Theresa didn't even attempt to defend herself when Kristen started to choke her.  Not one knee to the stomach , or a punch to the jaw or a head butt, hell, I'd settle for Theresa stomping on Kristen's foot and instead we got to see Maggie pulling Kristen off of Theresa.  This is the daughter of Shane and Kim?  WTF?!

And why exactly is Maggie cooing adoringly at Daniel?  Did he invent the serum or discover it in some way?  He's injecting it into John's IV tube--not exactly a miraculous event.

Again, the Brady/Eric scenes were a treat--I like their obvious affection and brotherly love--nice :)

• Love 3

I'd be surprised if Sami were playing EJ this time. They did a fairly good job of hinting at it *just enough* without giving it away before it was revealed that Sami knew about the affair and was plotting with Kate. I remember trying to figure out if it was just bad acting from AS or if her weird mannerisms then were scripted. This time, AS seems to be playing it as Sami really is getting all squishy in the heart, or whatever body part it is that's buying into EJ's bullshit.
I'd like for it to be a fakeout, but I'd also be pretty disappointed that the writers didn't do a better job at conveying it. It would be especially insulting because we never got to see how Kate and Sami even came together in the first place. Robbed of that, it would be nice to be in on the joke this time around.

If EJ dies, I think it'll be Clyde or someone from his hillbilly drug dealing operation. I can't think of any other reason they're reintroducing EJ as a drug lord and putting him in Clyde's orbit.

NuChad looks like Nick Fallon's long lost cousin. And what was up with the creepy '80's slasher film camera angles???

That's so you know he is EVIL this time around! If they don't conk us over the head with anvils, how will we possibly understand.

• Love 4

So Theresa can't even be bothered to pick up a fire place poker and whack Kristen over the head with it?

People in their 20s don't use words like "cockamamie."

How many times do people need to shut Nicole down before she realizes NO ONE WANTS TO SEE HER STUPID LYING FACE. It's getting extremely repetitive at this point. I need everyone in Salem to take out a restraining order against her.

No Maxine, it's not Marlena's love and faith that's going to bring Jawn out of his coma, it's the magical drug created by one of Stefano's goons that's doing all the work.

I hope Chad beats EJ into a coma and no one is able to create any magical drugs to save him.

Why is Chad hitting EJ because he slept with her? If that's the case he can march right on over to Jenn's house and sock Abby in the mouth. (I don't condone men hitting women or vice versa, but this is Abby) Chad knows first hand how she is when she pitted him against Cameron. It wasn't like he and Abby were together while he was away.

I know not to have high hopes for Kristen vs Theresa cause writers would have to dumb down one of them in order to create a story instead of having two strong, deceiving, women go at it. Theresa is usually quick on her feet and cover up a lie without panicking too much but in order for Kristen to keep having the upper hand Theresa has to be dumb down for her sake.

• Love 1

I continue to think Eric looks a lot more thin than he used to, as if he's shrunken along with his character. 

Theresa is telegraphing her every feeling on her face.  She didn't used to do that, but it does show what a versatile actress she is. She gave away her secret to Kristen and I've been worried about that for a while.  Since this is a soap Jawn probably won't remember but Kristen will at least have a purpose, as much as I hate it.  I did like seeing the two actresses together.

From a couple of days ago, could Paige have had any more of a pissy face at the prospect of - gasp - going to a party with her boyfriend?  Yes, you need to go study for music theory on the first day of class when all that happened is that the prof should have emailed your syllabus.  I'm disliking her more and more.  Yes, she is too much work. "I like it when you're nice."  Stop controlling JJ.  At least Eve isn't paying someone to actually rape him. 

I'd love to see Rory give Mary Beth some, it would calm them both down.

Wait, Chad was on the show??

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 1

From a couple of days ago, could Paige have had any more of a pissy face at the prospect of - gasp - going to a party with her boyfriend?  Yes, you need to go study for music theory on the first day of class when all that happened is that the prof should have emailed your syllabus.  I'm disliking her more and more.  Yes, she is too much work. "I like it when you're nice."  Stop controlling JJ.  At least Eve isn't paying someone to actually rape him. 

My god, if parties are bad, what do Paige and Mary Beth do for fun?  Study?  Suck on lemons?  Practice being virgins? They are so flat and one-dimensional, yet they get so much screen time.   I thought Page was getting better with the sourpuss face and irritation at anything JJ says or does, but I guess not.  Paige and JJ are always on the verge of breaking up, it's ridiculous.  I'd rather have them in love and happily running all over town together, while their mothers sit and stew about it. Although JJ is going to learn an important lesson about girls who require that much work to keep happy.  He's at the right age for that. 

Never was one for the teen scene, even when I was a teen, but I miss the days of summer fun and adventures, and school shenanigans. What happened to their other friend -- the cute girl, who was cool, then got bitchy all of the sudden?  I liked her and Rory in the beginning. 

• Love 3
What happened to their other friend -- the cute girl, who was cool, then got bitchy all of the sudden?  I liked her and Rory in the beginning.

Would that be Bev? I checked IMDB and looks like the actress, Allison Paige, was making a movie, which probably explains her absence. I know her from the webseries the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, in which she played Gigi Darcy, so I liked seeing her on DAYS.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 1

Thanks, Black Knight!  It was Bev I was thinking of, but I've the mind of a goldfish, so names escape me sometimes. I've never seen her in anything before, but I liked the vibe she, Rory, and JJ had. 

Okay, so, wait.  That was Chad???  I'm confused, because I knew the character was coming back but I had just assumed the same actor would be playing him.  This guy looks as old as EJ.  Days has a crappy track record for casting, but I will reserve judgment until Monday, maybe. 

So, is Theresa going to be pregnant to save herself from whatever's coming down the pike?  Though she does have an expressive face, I'm surprised she reacted that way and didn't hold it together a little better.  Ciara needs to teach Theresa poker face. 

Weirdly, NuChad put me in mind of Blake Berris.

His delivery of "I'm home" was terrible, but I suppose it's not easy to resist the temptation to overplay when it's your first day, first episode, first scene and that's the one and only line you get for your entrance. So I'll reserve judgment on his acting abilities until I see him in some extended scenes.

I'm sad about the Kami break up.  I don't give a damn about any of the so called romantic pairings on this show, but Kate/Sami were gold together.

It looks like the idiot writers really are going to put Sami back together with EJ to be abused some more, and call it love.  {face palm}

I guess Lucas is only going to show up on Sami's last day.  I know AS had scenes with BD her last day of taping.  I wonder if any of Sami/Lucas history will be acknowledged or if Lucas will just be another person to tell Sami how horrible she is and how everything is her fault.

EJ and Clyde are pathetic together, and such clichés.  Clyde should kill EJ, so Sami can be free.  Then Clyde needs to die so his twin brother can come to town and date Kate.

• Love 2

Nu-Chad doesn't look particularly dangerous to me in the way EJ does, but at least he's more well-groomed than the last one. I kind of thought he looked like a cross between Nick and ...nu-Will.

Teresa telling Kristen how she and Brady set the sheets on fire with their love-making was kind of funny. I think that's probably how Abigail should have come across with Sami (since that was her intent), but while Teresa seemed persuasive and convincing Abigail seemed delusional.

Kristen has good investigative skills. If she wasn't a nutcase, she could probably do Hope's job.

Edited by bantering
  • Love 2

Man, Abigail takes so long to get to a point. Every conversation she has with a man seems to drag on and on for what feels like several comas.  Thank goodness for her that Ben is dumb.

Edited by bantering
  • Love 2

Well I did have a brainstorm about Jawn's waking up scene: his first words when he wakes up... "Hello.......blondie"

The return of the Jawn that thought he was Stefano's brother would be awesome (at least to me it would)

• Love 2

I continue to think Eric looks a lot more thin than he used to, as if he's shrunken along with his character. 

Theresa is telegraphing her every feeling on her face.  She didn't used to do that, but it does show what a versatile actress she is. She gave away her secret to Kristen and I've been worried about that for a while.  Since this is a soap Jawn probably won't remember but Kristen will at least have a purpose, as much as I hate it.  I did like seeing the two actresses together.

Wait, Chad was on the show??

I agree with Jen Lilley being a very good actress.  In fact (although I know it's out of fashion lately), I think she would be a perfect candidate for "redemption" ala Rachel Davis Corey on AW or even back-in-the-day Julie on DOOL.  To me redeemed characters are at lot more interesting that the one note only good or only bad characters.  Let them slip up and make mistakes every once in awhile but then realize they're hurting people and atone, etc.

Edited by apbr
  • Love 1

I don't think Jen Lilly is boring at all and I think she's already been redeemed since she's showing her guilt and really cares about the dumb lug and is not going along with all of Anne's plans or torturing JJ.  She's legacy as Kim and Shane's daughter and it was probably accidentally brilliant that they brought her back and with this actress.  She's interacting in at least three storylines I can think of.  I really miss AW.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 1

No, I don't think Jen Lilley is boring. I just think the character of Teresa kind of is, but that might be because she's new to the show and I need time to get used to the character playing a central role in blackmailing teenagers and middle-aged men. I see that more of as a writing issue though. Perhaps I think Teresa is interacting with boring people too (Brady is good-looking but I don't know if he's actually interesting. I definitely don't think Daniel is interesting.  And I don't know if Eve is all that interesting either, though that might have to do with just recently arriving on the show. And, uh, then there's Jawn...).

The show is kind of going through this weird phase where a bunch of characters are exiting en masse, and we have to get used to a bunch of new ones in place of the old ones leaving, and somehow develop the same level of affection.  If this process happened more gradually, maybe I wouldn't have much of an opinion about it.

Nonetheless, I do think Jen Lilley can act. I just have no real investment in whether Teresa gets Brady or not. To Jen Lilley's credit, though, she hasn't annoyed me so if she got off blameless for hitting John with a fire poker, I most likely wouldn't be bothered about it in the way I was bothered when Abigail got no real repercussions for going after Austin.  I don't really feel intent on seeing Teresa suffer. So there's that....maybe I like Teresa more than I realize, although I still don't know if I actually find the character herself interesting.

Maybe my reaction to Teresa is similar to my reaction to Brady. I like the actor well enough or he doesn't offend me in any way -- I just don't care what happens to the actual character.

Edited by bantering

Wow! Remember when Josh Taylor was good looking? On Friday, I could barely look at him between his face & bad hair toupe hanging in front of his face. Simply horrid. How do the other actors keep a straight face?!

Edit to add that nuChad is a better looking Nick Fallon. I guess time will tell if he's as popular as oldChad.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 3

Theresa is not new.  She's been on since July 2013.  She's pretty much the only reason I'll keep watching after AS leaves.  Well, AZ too if they bring her out of the moping. She looked amazing today.

Jeebus would someone just jump on Aiden already? .

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 1

Today. 4:11 am

Theresa is not new.  She's been on since July 2013.

Well, I meant relative to everyone else who has been on the show. She is relatively new-ish compared to someone like Kate or Nicole, and, of course, Marlena and Sami,

I don't think her intro to the show was well-executed writing-wise. The acting is good though. It's just that it took a certain period of time (well, once she was out of Daniel's orbit, I suppose) for me to start paying attention to her scenes. I think the writers did a dis-service to her character in that way. Ditto for Eve. If a show wants to introduce a character, don't put them with Daniel. That's an easy way to get me to FF a character who is new relative to the rest of the cast, no matter how good or charismatic the actress is. I even fast-forward the ones who have a long history with the show once you stick them in scenes with Daniel (i.e see Eileen Davidson and Arianne Zucker).

Edited by bantering
  • Love 1

I continue to be optimistic for the Theresa character, but I don't know that she has shown any guilt about Jawn--anxiety about getting busted, yes, but not really guilt. At least she could feel bad about what she put Brady's dumb ass through! I don't find goody goody the goal, but basic decency should be the general direction. Not that the bastard did not deserve it,--he did knock her to the floor, a fact sure to be omitted. Great twist with Kristen figuring it out! I thought it would be Eve (or does she already know?).

• Love 2

Waiting for Theresa to pull the age/baby card on Kristin.  Kristin is old and Theresa is young and can give Brady a child.  That will really blister Kristin's butt.

Personally, I don't care for either Kristin or Theresa.  Maybe they can ask Eve to join them in their little trio of destruction.

Jen Lilley is a good actress, and Theresa has potential, but the writing is still horrible.

So long as Corday is in charge, I think the show will continue to suck.  Since Corday owns the show in order to get rid of Corday, the network would have to cancel Days.

• Love 2

Theresa reminds me uncomfortably of Nicole: both are female characters who I think are played by two of the very most talented actresses on the show, both are deliciously 'bad' yet with clear vulnerabilities and hints of redemption, and both are (IMO) pretty despite terrible hairstyles. But the writers seem intent on wasting both characters' rich potential by making them so inexplicably pathetic over such amazingly dumb, bland men. (Men who can barely seem to stand them more often than not, by the way.) I'm hopeful that will change, but based on what we've seen from these writers, I'm not holding my breath. 

• Love 5

I find it odd that  Brady and Daniel seem more annoyed by Teresa than Kristen.

Even with Teresa hitting John with a fire poker, she still seems 100 times better than Kristen! The men seem to keep giving Kristen the time of day to keep talking, and I have no idea why.

Edited by bantering
  • Love 4

I find it odd that  Brady and Daniel seem more annoyed by Teresa than Kristen.

Even with Teresa hitting John with a fire poker, she still seems 100 times better than Kristen! The men seem to keep giving Kristen the time of day to keep talking, and I have no idea why.

Yeah, it is one thing for one of the older residents to engage with Kristen, cause you can argue that they remember when she was a good person who did a lot for the community and children in general.  Daniel should have nothing but contempt for her since his only real interaction with her is being kidnapped and hurting his friends.

Theresa reminds me uncomfortably of Nicole: both are female characters who I think are played by two of the very most talented actresses on the show, both are deliciously 'bad' yet with clear vulnerabilities and hints of redemption, and both are (IMO) pretty despite terrible hairstyles. But the writers seem intent on wasting both characters' rich potential by making them so inexplicably pathetic over such amazingly dumb, bland men. (Men who can barely seem to stand them more often than not, by the way.) I'm hopeful that will change, but based on what we've seen from these writers, I'm not holding my breath. 

Well said.

I enjoy Theresa quite a bit.  She has to find a way back from boinking Jawn in the noggin, although as has been said here, he did push her down without any regard for what that might have done to her.  Even though I dislike Jawn and his arrogant ways, Theresa can't just bash someone over the head without some sort of redemption.  But even if she doesn't, I'll enjoy watching her.  Jen Lilley is just that good.

But wasting her on Brady.....not my favorite pairing.  Theresa did a bad thing to Jawn, but Brady abuses people constantly.  And often, he turns his abuse on women.  If he's not screaming or ripping into someone, he's coming at them in a very threatening manner.  And Lord is that boy dumb.  Dumb and mean, not a combo meant to engage my sympathies.   Theresa deserves a better boyfriend than this rabid ape, just as Victor deserves better than an idiot grandson.

Off this particular topic, but I'm looking forward to NuChad.  He looks like he'll have more life than the old one ever did.

• Love 3