Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

So Stefan NO! brings a (raven-haired) Nu-Old-Grabigail a dark wig in case she wants to feel more like her old self? Whaa? These idiot writers are just trolling us now.

And Sonny (Oh, Sonny.) is marrying Leo the Undread Troll Doll (who dresses like the Riddler because ... insane nuptials?) because Leo has no evidence that a crime was committed (BECAUSE THERE WAS NO CRIME).

And Gabi is just back to wantin' Chad 'cause Abigail's got him. Been there, seen that; don't need the black rayon t-shirt. WTF is WRONG with these people? When Trip (and his hillbilly beard) is sounding like the most reasonable, together person in town, there's a problem.  

Also, shut it, Julie.

Is it that Father Uncle Eric (and then In-Recovery Ex-Father Uncle Eric) never, ever smiled? Is it possible that I never noticed that he's pretty damned handsome (handsome damned pretty?)?

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 8
21 hours ago, Rowan said:

He did sleep with his brother’s fiancée/serious girlfriend

Yeah -- not to beat up on the dead woman, but it bugs me that Nicole's responsibility in her own behaviour is getting swept under the rug a little by both Ex-Father Uncle Eric and Bonehead Black here. Nicole also slept with her fiancé's brother. Eric didn't make her cheat.

Chloe can shut her biscotti hole about what Nicole wanted AND about Holly's best interests. You're in an untenable conflict of interest, Chloe; sit back, fold your hands, and zip your lip.  

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, Autumnview said:

First of all, this is the trend of today's American soap, what do you expect? Unless the writers could be convinced to change the methodology in terms of relationship buildup and bring someone for Sarah who isn't related to the Bradys. Or we can just sit here and complain all day. Second of all, if people can tolerate Tripp and Kayla being on good terms despite his early attempt on her life or Ciara welcome Ben with open arms, then I fail to see what's so destructive about Eric/Sarah being a couple. Like I said last time, a normal man and normal woman get together by normal means, so a little bit normalcy wouldn't hurt much, would it?

There are only 4 soaps left and all are very different. 

As far tolerating Tripp I don’t like him and I don’t ship Ciara and Ben. It’s doesnt much matter anyways since I look at ships and characters individually. I like Kate it doesn’t mean every character I will justify or like seeing be violent or want blue streaks in their hair. I hate Abby it doesn’t mean I will hate every character who slaps people. 😂 I do like ‘sitting here and complaining all day’ I’m here to snark and read everyone’s criticism and jokes (as well as the articulate praise). I somewhat like Eric and Sarah together but it’s obvious he’s a rebound for her and she’s being thirsty. I really hope if Rex comes back or Eric doesn’t get Holly she doesn’t drop him like a hot potato cuz he will lose whatever cool he has left. That would be shitty to do to him. 

It was a week ago Salem time Sarah was getting drunk over Rex and shouting about love being fake and men being liars...now she’s glued to Eric’s side with goo goo eyes and hugs while helping him set up home. She probably hasn’t even gotten a new tank of gas since she dumped Rex and fell for Eric. 

The flashbacks were nice since it’s so important to show history and tv significance. How many programs still on the air have the accomplishments Days has? I couldn’t help but think about shows like As the World Turns and Guiding Light which had been around ages and cancelled without respect. I grew up on the ABC shows (my paternal great grandparents watched Days. My maternal grandparents watched CBS soaps. My house was AMC and OLTL) it saddens AMC is not still kicking like Days, I still have feelings for that show. I appreciated the clip montage was to a song Doug was singing to Julie since SSH/Julie lovesss Bill Hayes voice and still even now in interviews talks how special he is to her, so I think that was profound to the actress. 

• Love 9
On 12/13/2018 at 9:40 AM, AManfred said:

Loved Leo (Greg R) on Wednesday's show. The swagger, the suit, the hair, and Adrienne slapping him was laugh out loud funny. 

I am mean so I am enjoying Leo sticking it to Sonny and Will just like they stuck it to Paul.

• Love 4
On 12/15/2018 at 8:43 PM, Sandman said:

And Sonny (Oh, Sonny.) is marrying Leo the Undread Troll Doll (who dresses like the Riddler because ... insane nuptials?) because Leo has no evidence that a crime was committed (BECAUSE THERE WAS NO CRIME).

I think rolling up what you think is the body of a man you think you accidentally killed and throwing it in a trunk is probably a crime.

I finally caught up on Thursday and Friday's eps. Not bad. I look forward to this week.

• Love 9

I think LG need to go back to being a blonde. The mousy brown color (probably her real color) doesn’t look good in her. IMO! I used to watch her on B&B. She looks so different now. It looks like she got her lips done, too. Personally, I think they should have hired Melissa Archer to play Sarah. I don’t think it would have confused people with the other character (who’s name escapes me) that she played before. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I think LG need to go back to being a blonde. The mousy brown color (probably her real color) doesn’t look good in her. IMO! I used to watch her on B&B. She looks so different now. It looks like she got her lips done, too. Personally, I think they should have hired Melissa Archer to play Sarah. I don’t think it would have confused people with the other character (who’s name escapes me) that she played before. 

Thank you for saying that, Melissa Archer would have been the perfect Sarah.  She was very popular as Natalie on One Life to live.  I also think that LG  as a blonde would have been a perfect Stefanie Kay Johnson. It was really apparent to me in the scene that she shared with Marybeth as Kayla.   That beautiful scene between Kayla and Tripp about Steve would have been perfect if she had shared it with her daughter Stefanie.  Stefanie grew up seeing how Steve's death affected her mother.  Plus, I would like to see Theresa and Stefanie interact.. 

• Love 3

The only Stephanie I know is Shelley Hennig, so I don’t think really think of the character as a blonde, even though it would make sense as Kayla’s daughter. And wasn’t the actress before her a redhead?

35 minutes ago, dlyn said:

The only Stephanie I know is Shelley Hennig, so I don’t think really think of the character as a blonde, even though it would make sense as Kayla’s daughter. And wasn’t the actress before her a redhead?

The original Stefanie was a ginger and I loved how unique she was as a heroine. She was a race car driver, friends with EJ, not a girly girl and was very different from the other young ladies on the show. I think that the writers were building on her being different like her dad Steve.  I liked Shelley, but, they made her Stefanie a very generic heroine. I really liked how the writers were originally making Stefanie to be like Steve, craving adventure and not afraid to go against the grain.. I miss the days when the writers took the time to craft a character and not being afraid to make them different. It is what made Sami popular despite her despicable acts. It is why I loved Nick in his first run and falling in love with Chelsea.. The writers now make everybody the same and generic.  They no longer push the envelope in characterization. There is nothing that makes the characters different from one another.. Marlena was different from Hope who was different from Jennifer who was different from Melissa who was different from Kim who was different from Kayla who was different from Isabella.  They were all heroines, but, were not interchangeable.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5

Gabi's "You're dead, old lady" face when she turned back to Julie after the (rad, soapy) slap was amazing.  I also loved that you could hear Gabi stagger a step or two, to let you know just how hard Julie walloped her.  Camila Banus is slaying this.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

Gabi's "You're dead, old lady" face when she turned back to Julie after the (rad, soapy) slap was amazing.  I also loved that you could hear Gabi stagger a step or two, to let you know just how hard Julie walloped her.  Camila Banus is slaying this.

I thought GB was hysterical today when she was trying to wrestle the envelope from SFH. She was making this face like “Ah, no you don’t” while Gabi realizing that her plan was falling apart. When she was at the top of the stairs I thought she was going hide before Chad & Sonny saw her but alas she didn’t. It was a very soapy cliffhanger and it wasn’t even Friday. Also, I still laugh when Ciera tries to rationalize Ben and his murder of 3 people. I know soaps will white wash anything for a super duo in the making. I guess Luke & Laura were the ones that started it. I’m sure there were others before that but I didn’t start watching soaps until roughly 1977-1978 which was GH. “Mom, Ben was a different person then when he killed those people. We’re in love and we’re going to be the new Bo & Hope”. Okay, I might have made the last part up but I’m prettty close, right? LOL!!!, Merry Christmas y’all. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

This was amazing! CB has been kicking ass for weeks but today was the best. And yeees to her face after that slap. Julie was unbearably annoying for me today. The way she was shouting was bordering on campy. When she flew down the steps I was like "thank god something finally shut her up"!

• Love 8

“I went to see Hope and saw him coming out of the shower.” 

Eli “So she was cheating on you.” 

Eli has some nerve insinuating that after Sheila has been caught coming out of his shower 187x.

These “Gaby” scenes are too much even for me and along the Abigail exposition spliced in. 💩 

Ben talks to Stefan like he doesn’t know Abigail.

Gabi’s dress reminded me of the dancing emoji 💃🏻 

Why did KM smile when talking about Gabi’s misdeeds against her character? Strange acting choice. She did a smile smirk again when Kayla mentioned she hating Abby had to pretend to love and be with Stefan against her will. 

SSH/Julie's slap to CB/Gabi... why did I scream?😂

• Love 4
On 12/15/2018 at 10:01 PM, Petunia13 said:

There are only 4 soaps left and all are very different. 

As far tolerating Tripp I don’t like him and I don’t ship Ciara and Ben. It’s doesnt much matter anyways since I look at ships and characters individually. I like Kate it doesn’t mean every character I will justify or like seeing be violent or want blue streaks in their hair. I hate Abby it doesn’t mean I will hate every character who slaps people. 😂 I do like ‘sitting here and complaining all day’ I’m here to snark and read everyone’s criticism and jokes (as well as the articulate praise). I somewhat like Eric and Sarah together but it’s obvious he’s a rebound for her and she’s being thirsty. I really hope if Rex comes back or Eric doesn’t get Holly she doesn’t drop him like a hot potato cuz he will lose whatever cool he has left. That would be shitty to do to him. 

It was a week ago Salem time Sarah was getting drunk over Rex and shouting about love being fake and men being liars...now she’s glued to Eric’s side with goo goo eyes and hugs while helping him set up home. She probably hasn’t even gotten a new tank of gas since she dumped Rex and fell for Eric. 

The flashbacks were nice since it’s so important to show history and tv significance. How many programs still on the air have the accomplishments Days has? I couldn’t help but think about shows like As the World Turns and Guiding Light which had been around ages and cancelled without respect. I grew up on the ABC shows (my paternal great grandparents watched Days. My maternal grandparents watched CBS soaps. My house was AMC and OLTL) it saddens AMC is not still kicking like Days, I still have feelings for that show. I appreciated the clip montage was to a song Doug was singing to Julie since SSH/Julie lovesss Bill Hayes voice and still even now in interviews talks how special he is to her, so I think that was profound to the actress. 

I have to disagree. Repackaging the same old stuff with different labels is not difference. It's called being lazy or copy+paste.  A case in point, I find Days a bit more sophisticated and tolerable than Bold and Beautiful but the way they've been treating Eric/Sarah/Rex and Ben/Caira and Gabi/Abigail and Leo's resurrection etc, are nothing new. A good and creative writer takes another writers' idea, then digest it and come up with his own different version. Oh btw, I've seen Santa Barbara, Days (with Roman/Diana) and GH (with Duke and Anna). Although I'd never call myself a faithful follower of American Daytime Television, but I could notice the difference back then. For example, Days had more supercouples and the focus was more balanced.  

Edited by Guest

I loved Julie and Gabi today, it was soapy and fun! I knew Julie was going to wind up at the bottom of the stairs but I thought that was a classic soap homage to SSH's 50 year run on soaps. My only concern is how they write Gabi out of this mess at this point, because I like Camilla and I don't want to see her go. I'm the rare viewer who pretty much likes all the characters involved in this story, so I don't want to see any one character completely destroyed (except Stefan, but I hated the actor on GH for years too). I wholeheartedly agree that the writers missed a huge beat in this story by not having Gabi and JJ fall back in love throughout this storyline, it would have added so much more depth. Being in love with Gabi would have been why JJ would refuse to see what she was doing to his sister, and falling in love would have rocked Gabi's plans and left her trying to find a better way out. I am also probably biased because JJ is hands down my favorite character these days and the show doesn't give him anywhere near enough to do! Please, please don't have JJ mooning over Lani again, she is so incredibly boring.

• Love 10

Jebus, Hope, just shut up.

Wow, Kayla suddenly has a touch of professional ethics.

I wish Show would quit pretending that Chad hadn't backstabbed Sonny before.

Wow, Julie, way to be racist. Chiquita? Really?

Sonny, do you even have a job?  Don't fight not to be handed one on a silver platter.

That Julie body double wasn't very convincing.  :)

I like the Christmas music Show is playing today.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

When she told Abigail she couldn't tell her about Gabi's pills because of that I was like, "Oh really?" lol.

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

That was the best part! It was so bad!

Loved everything about the Gabi/Julie scenes. So classic. Everything else I either fast forwarded or watched but was bored by.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

When she told Abigail she couldn't tell her about Gabi's pills because of that I was like, "Oh really?" lol.

Loved everything about the Gabi/Julie scenes. So classic. Everything else I either fast forwarded or watched but was bored by.

Yep watching the poor girl from the wrong side of the track being destroyed by the evil queen.

2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I wish Show would quit pretending that Chad hadn't backstabbed Sonny before.

Sonny, do you even have a job?  Don't fight not to be handed one on a silver platter.

I like the Christmas music Show is playing today.

On 12/13/2018 at 9:40 AM, AManfred said:

Loved Leo (Greg R) on Wednesday's show. The swagger, the suit, the hair, and Adrienne slapping him was laugh out loud funny. 

I am mean so I am enjoying Leo sticking it to Sonny and Will just like they stuck it to Paul.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Well, in defense of Days.....Susan Seaforth Hayes is 75 years old. I don’t think any stunt woman could match that. LOL!!! That said, it could have been a stuntman which would blow my theory apart. LOL!!

I guess Julie will be in coma heaven for the next few months. I also do wonder how they get Gabi out of this in the end. Granted, she already murdered someone and went to jail (a few time) but this time she actually drugged her own friend. I know the soaps can pretty much redeem anyone but I do wonder how they redeem Gabi after this. I would like Rafe & JJ to disown her for a while so she can suffer. After that, in the summer she get her life back and end up with JJ again. That said, does Gabi have an Horton ornament? Will it make the tree this year? So many questions.........

• Love 6

Right, Julie, show Gabi what you found while you were doing your snooping.   Geeze.   Once, just ONCE, could a character NOT blow up their plan by letting the person they are trying to get the goods know they found the evidence they were searching for?  And then go on to tell them exactly what they are going to do with said evidence?    I'm aware this will never happen because, then, the storyline would have to end.   (Of course, this isn't limited to just soaps..it happens time after time on crime shows too.)     It drives me nuts. 

• Love 14
54 minutes ago, sas616 said:

Right, Julie, show Gabi what you found while you were doing your snooping.   Geeze.   Once, just ONCE, could a character NOT blow up their plan by letting the person they are trying to get the goods know they found the evidence they were searching for?  And then go on to tell them exactly what they are going to do with said evidence?    I'm aware this will never happen because, then, the storyline would have to end.   (Of course, this isn't limited to just soaps..it happens time after time on crime shows too.)     It drives me nuts. 

Drives me crazy too! While the character is going on and on about what they've found and what they're going to do, I'm doing a face palm and wondering when these characters will just learn to SHUT UP already!

• Love 8

I did like the Gabi/Julie scenes. Julie was a bit over the top and out of line. Precious Abigail is not her business.  Abigail can solve her own problems. Julie doesn't need to rescue her/save her/do her revenge for her. And there was nothing in either Julie or Abigail that showed much of any empathy for Gabi - and their treatment of her. No awareness that Abigail hurt Gabi. Saying sorry for sending her to jail for a crime she did not commit by having her over for lunch was not great.

The slap was good, though. I suspect that both actresses enjoyed doing that scene.

Wasn't keen on the Chiquita, but that is Julie. Still defending her precious Nick.

Kayla, you now have medical ethics? Yes, you prescribed some sedatives for Gabi but you have no proof that she drugged Abigail with them. The audience knows she did but the reality is that Gabi is suffering from PTSD or worse, and took them herself.

Ciara, you and Ben are not the new Bo and Hope. He still is a serial killer who served his time in jail but still has to get himself back in to society and prove that he is a changed person. Your opinion is only a start. Hope, shut up and let your daughter manage her own life. She will walk away.

Nice of Victor to fire Chad. Um, he'll just get a job at another Salem HQ.

• Love 5

I  would love to see them have Hope reflect on herself 30+ years ago and how she was in love with Bo while her father wanted her to have nothing to do with him. The more Doug tried to push her away from him the more Hope defied him. They are writing Hope to be such an obnoxious ass now but you would think someone would remind her that she acted exactly the same all those years ago, but nah that would actually make Hope more tolerable.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Yeah....  That was a poor dialogue choice right there. 

I know that what Nicole wanted at the very end was for Eric to take care of Holly. Even if Brady is right and she was just desperate to get him out of that building and used Holly as an excuse, that's still what she said. However ... Eric always talks about Holly's custody as "I need this" and "it's good for me" and me me me and Sarah does the same thing. Saying Holly's custody is about Eric and what he needs. So Chloe had a really good point whenever she was talking to Brady about it and she said what a thing to put on a little girl. I mean Eric's basically making it Holly's job to keep his ass together when it's supposed to be him taking care of her for her not for him. Honestly that's what bothers me so much and that's the only reason I would rather Chloe have her.

Edited by ouinason
  • Love 4

Oh look!

giphy.gif

Julie fell down the stairs and go boom!

Oh well, we've all gotta be strong and carry on.  

Maybe Gabi should drag her back up the stairs and do it again, just to be on the safe side?

Is it just me, or did "Aunt Kayla" seem waaaaaaaaaaay less than enthusiastic to see Abigail back?

2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I guess Julie will be in coma heaven for the next few months. 

As will I, as will I......

• Love 14

While it wasn't the smartest choice, I can see why Julie couldn't help but rub Gabi's nose in the fact that she'd found that envelope.  It was a victory in Julie's mind and she was probably riding high on adrenaline. 

I love that they've just thrown a whole 'lotta fuel on the feud between Julie and Gabi.  Can't wait for Julie to wake up!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, howmanywords said:

I  would love to see them have Hope reflect on herself 30+ years ago and how she was in love with Bo while her father wanted her to have nothing to do with him. The more Doug tried to push her away from him the more Hope defied him. They are writing Hope to be such an obnoxious ass now but you would think someone would remind her that she acted exactly the same all those years ago, but nah that would actually make Hope more tolerable.

The difference is that Doug who was never a saint, a con artist by trade was being unreasonable and out of character when it came to Hope dating Bo.  The Hortons had been friends with the Bradys for years. Roman as a teen, used to mow the Horton's lawn and he used to bring  Bo along with him that is how Bo and Hope met each other as children. Not to mention, the actors who played Doug and Julie objected to that storyline of opposing Bo and were summarily fired for speaking to the press about it. They were not present when Hope married Bo at their iconic wedding.  Hope has every right to object to her daughter dating a serial killer, she is not objecting because he is of another race or a different class.  Ben murdered a young woman who was Ciara's age. How can a mother just accept that?  Ron as usual is being heavy-handed in his writing by making Hope the villain and Ben the poor victim.. I remember Ben strangling the life out of Paige who begged and fought for her life. She was just 18 years old.  That piece of shit  Ben is no victim..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 7

Why should Hope reflect about Bo insofar as Doug is concerned? Yes, Doug (and Julie) didn't approve, but there was no real impetus except maybe class differences.

Oh, and a heeyuge difference? Bo wasn't a SERIAL KILLER.

Hope is annoying lately - but as far as Ben goes? I'm on her side completely. No parent worth their salt would be "Oh, my kid loves a killer? Well, I guess I'll just have to accept it!" Never, ever.

And if Bo were here, I bet he would make Hope look measured and reasonable by contrast. Ben should thank his lucky stars Bo is dead.

• Love 6

I'm in no way at ALL comparing Ben to Bo.  Bo is my all time favorite character so believe me I am not comparing a murderer to him. My point was that Hope should understand that when you're young and in love you aren't go to listen to your parent no matter how much they push and try to say so and so is bad. Rafe is an idiot and he even tried to say she should back off because Ciara will do what she wants anyway. I just meant I wouldn't mind seeing a scenario where Hope can eventually remember herself defying Doug and Julie. And yes the writing of Hope and Ciara is getting annoying now. I understand what they are going for with Ciara but this "but he only killed 3 people" nonsense is dumbing her down.

• Love 9
On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎17 at 9:22 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I think rolling up what you think is the body of a man you think you accidentally killed and throwing it in a trunk is probably a crime.

I suppose it's possible that they could be charged with some form of withholding evidence or obstruction -- and don't get me wrong: I'm not suggesting people should cover up their misdeeds, or even what they believe are misdeeds -- but this whole plot is so contrived and horrifically ridiculous that I can't take it seriously. And Leo the Undead Troll Doll just needs to go away. (Note, Sonny, that I did not say "disappear," okay?)  

10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Hope is annoying lately - but as far as Ben goes? I'm on her side completely. No parent worth their salt would be "Oh, my kid loves a killer? Well, I guess I'll just have to accept it!" Never, ever.

And if Bo were here, I bet he would make Hope look measured and reasonable by contrast. Ben should thank his lucky stars Bo is dead.

Agreed.

ETA: I have no trouble believing that Julie is secretly racist. It's despicable, but not out of character for someone as self-righteous, shallow and lacking in self-awareness as she. Julie is a "nice" person only in the most superficial sense. She is not a good person -- at all.  

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I don't think anyone doesn't get why Hope feels the way she does. I think the issue remains how she is handling it, and as police commissioner entrapment, coercion, and harassment are bad looks, IMO. I understand how Hope feels 100% and don't have a problem with her outrage over Ciara's interest in Ben but obsessively finding ways to bend and break the law as police commissioner again & again is trash. Also, her campaign against Ben is likely having the opposite effect on Ciara. Even idiot Rafe called that out that Hope is likely pushing Ciara towards Ben with what she is doing. Having the good guys break and bend the law when they feel like it already is problem for this show because the writers don't take the time to write redemption stories so the good guys just look as lying, smug, and hypocritical as the villains & antiheroes/antiheroines. Or they get whitewashed for their sins like Abby and Rafe.

Which brings me to one of the funniest lines from Monday's ep: Eli saying Rafe does everything by the book. NOPE NOPE NOPE. He's another "good guy" on this show who breaks and bends the law as he wants, which is always especially gross to see from someone with a badge since police abuse of power is a very real thing. Also, it reminds me that Rafe is a terrible brother. First with what he was will to do to Arianna to cover up a crime to how he has no problem with Julie being foul to Gabi. So much for that protective big brother. Speaking of the ole shrew....

Whew, the racist jumped out of Julie between "chiquita" and wanting to put Gabi "back in her cage." Just ugly. Also, Julie sucks both in ignoring Abby's crimes which are similar to what she screamed at Gabi for doing plus was Gabi just supposed to let Nick assault her? I guess considering Julie things Gabi belongs in a cage. Makes me wonder what Julie secretly thinks of her biracial grandson.  As someone upthread said, I too was glad Julie took that tumble if only cause she finally stopped yelling myopic self-righteous nonsense and microaggressions at Gabi.

3 hours ago, howmanywords said:

And yes the writing of Hope and Ciara is getting annoying now. I understand what they are going for with Ciara but this "but he only killed 3 people" nonsense is dumbing her down.

Ciara isn't saying that, though. Others are saying that to her about his history and she's saying "he was sick, he went to jail, he had therapy, he's taking meds, he's trying to rebuild his life." She thinks Ben is better because he's gotten help and is on meds. Considering what we've seen from Abby's mental illness "recovery" that caused her to attempt to murder folks - her killing Andre was pre-DID - in that she's gotten even less help and I don't think is taking any meds, Ciara's line of thinking isn't that off with how folks in Salem see mental illness. The problem IMO is the double standard of how the show is handling the after effects of two mentally ill people who've killed and attempted to kill others in town. The reception of how mentally ill people are treated seems to be about privilege more than anything else. 

Also, Ciara's not even telling folks they have to like Ben. She understands that people don't like him and why. She's not fighting them to like Ben; she fights people when they try to tell her what to do about him and how she *has* to feel about him. She's called out Hope on her tricks & harassment and told Hope to respect her feelings but she's not saying "Mom, you have to like him too." I get that Hope doesn't want to do even that but I think Ciara is being accused of saying things she's actually not said. That's why there has only been one date, a few kisses, and an upcoming second date. They're taking things slowly. Ciara and Ben both agreed to that, him cause he's still trying to get his life together and her cause she needed to figure things out post Tripp. I think it's been like 5 or 6 months since the cabin so the show isn't rushing things. AFAIC, better this slow build than a retconned history of " it was always true love" that actually isn't accurate *looking at you Chabby*  There is excitement for Ciara & Ben and not everyone will like them. Par for the course with any soap. That as many people like them as they do is something I'm sure makes the people at Days happy cause it's been years that I recall that a burgeoning pairing has taken off and created some excitement in the fandom. The shows are evolving and the old days of black and white are over. In terms of under-30 couples, Days hasn't had a hit in many years. (IMO, Chabby ain't it... that is one of those pairings that has fans that the show loves to write for but they haven't really made waves in terms of ratings nor pop culture significance despite the number of years of being pushed so). I am curious to see where things go here, unlike bland Elani. 

• Love 4

Loved the Gabi/Julie scenes -- what great stuff for SHS to play at this point in her career ("chiquita" aside, blech).  Camila is really knocking this out of the park - she'll have tons of emmy reels to choose from. Does anyone else remember when she was first in Salem and a very stiff performer? When she came back to the show after being released from prison, she seemed like a different actress. She's doing a great job with this meaty role, just wish I didn't have such intense dislike for what the character of Gabi is actually doing. 

I think the show is going overboard with the color blue. The scenes in the Kiriakis mansion stuck me as odd, as if the characters all color-coordinated their clothing with the decor of the room. Then Eli's room seemed overly blue to me, and the Horton house has also morphed from that 70s green to a more bluish color. HOWEVER -- I will allow Chad to wear any shade of blue he wants because of those peepers. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Lastwaltz said:

I think the show is going overboard with the color blue. The scenes in the Kiriakis mansion stuck me as odd, as if the characters all color-coordinated their clothing with the decor of the room. Then Eli's room seemed overly blue to me, and the Horton house has also morphed from that 70s green to a more bluish color. 

Thank you. I forgot to mention Chad and Victor were both dressed in Monday's ep to match the decor of the Kiriakis living room. Odd styling choices.

• Love 3

I'm not into Will/Sonny, as I've said before, but I liked this beat of Will offering to be the man on the side while Sonny is trapped into marriage by a schemer and Sonny turning him down because of the risk of exposure versus their love being too perfect and pure for (gasp!) an extramarital affair.  This was messy and soapy and 100% what straight characters would be doing in this scenario so thumbs up.  But, ugh, I have a bad feeling we're going to see Sonny's stupid wish box come NYE.

Heh at Gabi shoving the paternity test into her bra.  Thatta girl!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Which brings me to one of the funniest lines from Monday's ep: Eli saying Rafe does everything by the book. NOPE NOPE NOPE. He's another "good guy" on this show who breaks and bends the law as he wants, which is always especially gross to see from someone with a badge since police abuse of power is a very real thing. Also, it reminds me that Rafe is a terrible brother. First with what he was will to do to Arianna to cover up a crime to how he has no problem with Julie being foul to Gabi. So much for that protective big brother. 

I know!  This is the second or third time now I've heard someone refer to Rafe that way and, like you say, NOPE NOPE NOPE.  He covers up crimes depending on who did it - i.e., if he is either related or sleeping with the perp (thank God that at least so far, nobody has fit into both categories......), he abuses, in his official capacity, anyone he doesn't like, both verbally and physically, and he's been in trouble several times for being creative with the truth.  

Rafe is a schmuck with a badge.

• Love 7

I know my dislike of KM colours my opinion of her acting, but whenever "Gabby" is onscreen with Stefan I wonder how MM would have acted those scenes. MM's Abby was quiet and timid, where her Gabby was louder and outgoing, so there was a difference between them.  I know Abigail is now just pretending to be Gabby, but her Gabby is no different from her Abby.  Surely Stefan should be able to tell it's not "his" Gabby.   But, then he is pretty pathetic.   

CB, on the other hand, is going a great job with Gabi.   

And I couldn't help but get a bit weepy watching Doug sobbing at Julie's bedside. I know they're actors, but in their case it would be easy for their real life to seep into their reel life. 

• Love 13

Everybody just standing there and staring at Julie instead of going to see if she's okay.

If I had a conversation with my grandmother about her sexual indiscretions, I think I would run out of the room screaming.

Please let Will find another boyfriend.

• Love 7

We had some good acting today!  Nothing flashy, which IMO made it all even better.

Lauren Koslow was as good as ever with both Will and Gabi - her getting interrupted trying to read Corday's book was pretty funny.

Camilla Banus has gotten to be such a fine actor.  Everything she did today, from her guilty shock at Julie's fall to her cocky interchanges with Kate were just superb.  I remember first seeing her on OLTL when she was really raw and she wasn't good, verging on terrible but she has consistently gotten better and better.

And Bill Hayes at Julie's bedside was just magnificent.  It's hard to believe that the man is 93.  Wonderful performance!

And then we had the bad........

Show could save itself a lot of money and just replace Chandler Massey with a block of wood.  From his being "drunk" (seriously, Show??, really, that's the BEST he could do?) to his monotone discussion with Kate and finally, to his lackluster "dramatic" moments with Sonny I was expecting Show to send in a medevac team to try and resuscitate him.  Then, when they kissed under the mistletoe, CM looked like he'd superglued his lips shut just to make absolutely sure he didn't get any tongue.  It's like he's not all there.

giphy.gif

Now Sonny, on the other hand,

3 hours ago, lilly6 said:

Poor horny Will.  Freddie Smith looked ever so pretty today.  Hell, I'd offer myself up as a side piece too.

what LILLY6 said!  He's looking better and his acting was a smidgen less squawky, so that's at least an improvement.

And may I say I've never enjoyed Susan Seaforth Hayes more than I did today, at the hospital, in a coma-like state.  Before she passed out, her antics at the Kiriakis Mansion made me think they should do a DNA test to see if she's really FogHorn LegHorn's mother.  

giphy.gif

Sleep, Julie, sleep sleep sleep.  Get the rest we so richly deserve.

Edited by boes
  • Love 16
11 minutes ago, boes said:

We had some good acting today!  Nothing flashy, which IMO made it all even better.

Lauren Koslow was as good as ever with both Will and Gabi - her getting interrupted trying to read Corday's book was pretty funny.

Camilla Banus has gotten to be such a fine actor.  Everything she did today, from her guilty shock at Julie's fall to her cocky interchanges with Kate were just superb.  I remember first seeing her on OLTL when she was really raw and she wasn't good, verging on terrible but she has consistently gotten better and better.

CB's Gabi really has been the star in this storyline which is fabulous because I think the show wants us rooting for Abs--too bad they hired such an unpleasant shrew that even when Abby is allegedly at her most sympathetic, she's just so awful we're secretly hoping the villain wins. 

• Love 13

Boes, I laughed at the Foghorn Leghorn comments.

Gabi, you really should dispose of the test results and the envelope. Someone will find them.

Never thought Kate was much of a book reader. First Will, and then Gabi. Um, Gabi, you do have to figure your way out of this. Maybe Julie won't remember much. Thought Bill Hayes was in his mid to late 80s - not 93!

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Boes, I laughed at the Foghorn Leghorn comments.

Gabi, you really should dispose of the test results and the envelope. Someone will find them.

Never thought Kate was much of a book reader. First Will, and then Gabi. Um, Gabi, you do have to figure your way out of this. Maybe Julie won't remember much. Thought Bill Hayes was in his mid to late 80s - not 93!

I thought the same thing!  I was shocked when I saw how old he really is.  The man is spectacular.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

CB's Gabi really has been the star in this storyline which is fabulous because I think the show wants us rooting for Abs--too bad they hired such an unpleasant shrew that even when Abby is allegedly at her most sympathetic, she's just so awful we're secretly hoping the villain wins. 

Not so secret.

• Love 4

Sorry, but calling Julie a racist for calling Gabi "chiquita" in the heat of the moment, is akin to "Baby it's cold outside" being a song about rape.

IMO, all everyone does these days is pick apart language to suit their agenda...or what they believe is their agenda. Enough already!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MsTree said:

Sorry, but calling Julie a racist for calling Gabi "chiquita" in the heat of the moment, is akin to "Baby it's cold outside" being a song about rape.

IMO, all everyone does these days is pick apart language to suit their agenda...or what they believe is their agenda. Enough already!

I strongly disagree--there are words that are racially charged and Julie's calling a person of Latin/Spanish heritage "chiquita" was not just heat of the moment, she meant it in a derogatory way.  Just like telling a black person they're being ghetto or conversely acting uppity or making fun of the shape of an Asian person's eyes, words have power and putting an emphasis on "chiquita" which Julie definitely did was a pointed attack on Gabi's being non-white.

• Love 17