Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

Welcome to Salem, murder capital of America. Not that I care much for Ava's death. It was time for her to go. Steve is going to take the blame for Joey. That story seems vaguely familiar. I think if you are going to repeat a recent plot it should be better than the previous version. We will see I guess.

It's about time Hope start to feel a little bad. Stefano no doubt was responsible for 90% of bad things in Salem but Hope is not shown to us as a bad person.

• Love 3

First, is it just me, or have the past few episodes have an almost dreamlike feel and look to them?

Second, does anyone else find it interesting that the vision whisperer is incapable of dreaming of her daughter who was attacked and held hostage, or her granddaughter who was raped. I guess the only people who matter are male members of the Kiriakis Family?

I almost forgot how Abby ruins every scene she is in until she popped up again today.

So clearly someone knows that Hope killed Stefano. Moreover, you killed someone for a crime he didn't actually commit, speaks volumes for your judgement. I love Hope, but I can't wait for she and Rafe to get exactly what is coming to them. In Rafe's case, that fact that he remains unmemorable after all these years on the show speaks volumes of his skill-set, and complete lack of chemistry with the dozens of people the show has thrown into his orbit -- mainly some of the strongest female characters on the show, I so would not care if Rafe was removed from canvass permanently.

Steve, isn't Joey's blood on the murder pillow? Doesn't the hospital have cameras? Why were you at the hospital? Roman's brain cells seem to be working as of late, he just might figure this out. I'm sure Kayla will figure it out. No matter how you slice it, I don't think your confession is going to hold up. Besides, if your plan works, your son will be consumed with guilt for both the murder, whatever additional, trauma his mother will now experience, and your incarceration. Joey has already shown a predisposition to drinking, the guilt will turn him into a raging alcoholic before he turns seventeen. Also, HorriBelle is the best option you can come up with to defend you -- oh, I forgot, you want to go down for this crime, so HorriBelle is actually the perfect choice.

I didn't feel even the slightest bit of sympathy for the not dearly departed. She got off easy as she should have suffered more for her sins. IMHO Ava was always a complete vile, psychotic, black hole of a creature. I just hate that once again a kid is being turned into the monster in the mirror of this storyline, and a legacy kid at that.

It was good to see Justin today. I wonder if he will remember Steve's dressing down in the town square when he sees him at the precinct? I suspect he will, and when he finds out that Steve not only killed, but slept with the skank, I'm sure the gloating will be epic.

Vincent Irizarry continues to own all of his scenes as Deimos.

I love Suzanne Rogers and I love Maggie, but I have to admit, I think a little less of her because of her marriage to Victor.

For the most part, this was a pretty good episode. I guess on days we don't get the Brady/Summer/Theresa et. al show-killer, we get Abby. I dread when we get both.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 7

I'm starting to question if I really need a daytime soap in my life. I've been watching at least one for over 40 years except for the few months after OLTL ended and before the OLTL characters showed up on GH. I didn't feel particularly bereft during that time, and I haven't watched GH in over a year. I am just so uninterested in everything that's going on now, there really isn't a single storyline that I am invested in. VI is always fun to watch, but since he only gets to interact with Philip and Victor that's not too entertaining. I will always love KA, but what's going on with her is not too great either.

The cast is too big, this was one of my gripes when I was still watching GH.There are characters/storylines that get dropped for what seems like weeks, yet we now also have Marie Wilson with hair so terrible I can barely pay attention to the boring-ness of what's going on in her scenes, and Jordi Whatshisname who will almost certainly end back up in Salem too.

At least it seems like SWMNBN might be really most sincerely dead.

• Love 4

I wanted Ava dead but didn't want Joey to be her murderer.  That's got to change his character, and if it doesn't then what was the point?  What's that cute girl he was talking to in the park going to think of him when it all comes out?  What about his friends?  And their parents?  And the rest of his family?  Will everyone just shrug it off as, well, yeah, he smothered a woman in her hospital bed but it was Ava, so no biggie.

Ditto with Hope.  So now Roman knows she murdered someone and that her partner covered it up, and he's fine with it?  In my city when cops are suspected of killing someone there are investigations, demonstrations, possibly riots, and hopefully trials.  And if none of those things happen, then society has a very big problem.

Both stories should've involved self-defense.  If Ava had come after Kayla and Joey killed her trying to protect his mom, then no problem.  Ava would still be dead, Joey could still feel some guilt, Steve could still try to take responsibility, etc.  If Hope had killed Stefano because he had aimed a gun at her and threatened her, again, no problem.  Stefano would be dead, Hope would still be freaked out, Rafe could still have gone out on a limb to help her, etc.  But as it is right now, both Hope and Joey killed people who (while vile and reprehensible) were largely defenseless at the time they were killed. 

WHY did the writers choose this path for these characters when there were other options?

• Love 11

The shock value of cheap stunts?

It makes it impossible to root for anyone on this show, it really does.

I'm still waiting for payoff to Will's murder, Marlena being attacked during her session with Chad and Clyde killing EJ (no wait...I'm not. No point).

I am glad Ava is gone, but this story was the pits.

I think the only two decent people left in town are Theo and Claire.

I wish the show would slow down with the 968 storylines and try to do a couple right, then move on.

Found it kinda nice that Caroline's visions came back into play. They're dumb, but at least it's continuity.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3

First, is it just me, or have the past few episodes have an almost dreamlike feel and look to them?

Second, does anyone else find it interesting that the vision whisperer is incapable of dreaming of her daughter who was attacked and held hostage, or her granddaughter who was raped. I guess the only people who matter are male members of the Kiriakis Family?

I almost forgot how Abby ruins every scene she is in until she popped up again today.

So clearly someone knows that Hope killed Stefano. Moreover, you killed someone for a crime he didn't actually commit, speaks volumes for your judgement. I love Hope, but I can't wait for she and Rafe to get exactly what is coming to them. In Rafe's case, that fact that he remains unmemorable after all these years on the show speaks volumes of his skill-set, and complete lack of chemistry with the dozens of people the show has thrown into his orbit -- mainly some of the strongest female characters on the show, I so would not care if Rafe was removed from canvass permanently.

Steve, isn't Joey's blood on the murder pillow? Doesn't the hospital have cameras? Why were you at the hospital? Roman's brain cells seem to be working as of late, he just might figure this out. I'm sure Kayla will figure it out. No matter how you slice it, I don't think your confession is going to hold up. Besides, if your plan works, your son will be consumed with guilt for both the murder, whatever additional, trauma his mother will now experience, and your incarceration. Joey has already shown a predisposition to drinking, the guilt will turn him into a raging alcoholic before he turns seventeen. Also, HorriBelle is the best option you can come up with to defend you -- oh, I forgot, you want to go down for this crime, so HorriBelle is actually the perfect choice.

I didn't feel even the slightest bit of sympathy for the not dearly departed. She got off easy as she should have suffered more for her sins. IMHO Ava was always a complete vile, psychotic, black hole of a creature. I just hate that once again a kid is being turned into the monster in the mirror of this storyline, and a legacy kid at that.

It was good to see Justin today. I wonder if he will remember Steve's dressing down in the town square when he sees him at the precinct? I suspect he will, and when he finds out that Steve not only killed, but slept with the skank, I'm sure the gloating will be epic.

Vincent Irizarry continues to own all of his scenes as Deimos.

I love Suzanne Rogers and I love Maggie, but I have to admit, I think a little less of her because of her marriage to Victor.

For the most part, this was a pretty good episode. I guess on days we don't get the Brady/Summer/Theresa et. al show-killer, we get Abby. I dread when we get both.

Wonderful post, Thank you!

I agree with everything you said.

Is murder by the "good guys" now Show's default position?

Edited by boes
  • Love 5

So Chad is all set to have a wedding with his brother's side piece.  I was so hoping they would elope instead of seeing her prancing around pretending to be a virgin bride.

From the way Andre was talking, I think he is going to be enacting some revenge on Chad--let's hope it involves torturing the "prancing virgin bride."  :):)

• Love 2

I couldn't believe it when that neanderthal Joey actually managed to finish Ava off.  My initial reaction was this:

2jdf6uv.gif

But then it turned sour after seeing Steve take the fall for it.  I also hold the unpopular opinion that Joey is useless and I wish he never showed up.  He makes Lennie from Of Mice and Men look like Einstein.

Edited by Polaris
  • Love 5

I couldn't believe it when that neanderthal Joey actually managed to finish Ava off.  My initial reaction was this:

But then it turned sour after seeing Steve take the fall for it.  I also hold the unpopular opinion that Joey is useless and I wish he never showed up. He makes Lennie from Of Mice and Men look like Einstein.

Is that an unpopular opinion?

Allowing for the fact that I've been lurking for some months as I get used to watching Days again, and for the fact that I may be a bit short on backstory...

The kid's a dolt! Is he playing him that way because of direction, or am I just a nasty bitch?

Steve and Kayla have never been portrayed as stupid--gullible, yes, from time to time, but Joey must be a genetic fluke.

• Love 4

I don't care that Hope killed Stefano, that Hope and Rafe covered it up, or that they framed Andre.  What does annoy me is Ken Corday and the writers apparently think the fans are to stupid to remember the history of the show and characters.

When Sami shot EJ, Rafe, Bo, Roman, Hope, Abe, and Caroline were doing everything possible to protect Sami.  When Marlena put Stefano in a coma, no one cared.  When Nicole ran Kristen off the road, Roman covered for her, and Victor (who despises Nicole) was going to get Nicole an attorney to help her.  The Dimeras are detested and loathed by almost everyone in Salem.  When one of them dies, everyone celebrates.

Andre is a psycho seriel killer, and Stefano could not control him, however, Andre was always devoted to Stefano.  The only thing that stopped Andre from killing Roman in 2007, was Steve kidnapping Stefano and threatening to kill him on live television if Andre did not take the bomb off of Roman.  If Andre had finally turned on Stefano, he would not have been stupid enough to leave any clues behind.

The characters no longer have any functioning brain cells because Ken Corday and the writers are incompetent idiots.

As for the Kayla, Steve, Ava nonsense, see above.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

• Love 6
The kid's a dolt! Is he playing him that way because of direction, or am I just a nasty bitch?

It's hard to tell!  Joey really is a moron, and a pretty boring one at that, so he may be playing the character as written and directed.  In any event, it's difficult to believe the awesome Kayla and Patch were Joey's progenitors.  But then this is the show that has the vapid, charmless, big-faced Abigail as Jennifer and Jack's daughter.  They've done better with Ciara, Theo and Claire (so far).

When Sami shot EJ, Rafe, Bo, Roman, Hope, Abe, and Caroline were doing everything possible to protect Sami.  When Marlena put Stefano in a coma, no one cared.  When Nicole ran Kristen off the road, Roman covered for her, and Victor (who despises Nicole) was going to get Nicole an attorney to help her.  The Dimeras are detested and loathed by almost everyone in Salem.  When one of them dies, everyone celebrates.

It's funny, because I've said before that if Sami and Kate were responsible for the murder of Stefano then this would be an enjoyable story.  But Having Hope do it, and watching her come completely unglued as a result, is not enjoyable for me.  It also bothers me that she did it when Stefano couldn't even stand up on his own.  And now it looks like she's going to feel guilty for killing the "wrong man" even though she's said she felt justified because of all the misery and grief Stefano caused her family over the years.  IDK.  The whole thing is just off.

• Love 7

Is that an unpopular opinion?

Allowing for the fact that I've been lurking for some months as I get used to watching Days again, and for the fact that I may be a bit short on backstory...

Steve and Kayla have never been portrayed as stupid--gullible, yes, from time to time, but Joey must be a genetic fluke.

What makes this even sadder is I'm still not convinced that he didn't kill SWMNBN because she screwed his father and not him. I'm at a loss for what's worse, the poor acting or the poor writing. The character has been written so horribly, it makes me long for the days when they morphed smart, kind, feisty, independent Stephanie, into a boy-crazing, scheming, sex kitten.

• Love 5

I'm catching up on a week's worth of shows...my FF finger is cramping!

Let's see...after I turn my TV up to it's brightest possible setting to even see the damn thing.....we have Ciara raped repeatedly because she has flashbacks at least 2-3 times an episode...like watching it once wasn't bad enough?We get it writers. good lord we get it.

We have poor pathetic Chase victimized by super creepy Andre til he goes off the rails & now stalks Ciara after violating her...on the Horton couch for all that's holy!

What were the writers thinking? (I could add that after every sentence.)

Joey....Joey Joey Joey. You were head tripped by a crazy nasty piece of work....and you took a bunch of pills & offed her. Nice work you poor slob.

Hmmm...fast forwarded.....Belle, Phillip,Hope/Rafe, Andre,Summer/Brady...lost track of most.

Oh...actually liked the Nicole & Theresa stuff....girls bonding...sort of. I'll take it.

Hate the Kayla/Steve story but love the actors. Amazing what they can do with this sh*tball of a story.

Really want to watch VI/Deimos but why do they have to  make him such a vile character...the man ooozes charisma and they waste him in too many scenes with JPL aka "twitch monkey". Gah!

Damn this show. I'm only still here for certain actors. sigh.

• Love 7

Hate the Kayla/Steve story but love the actors. Amazing what they can do with this sh*tball of a story.

Really want to watch VI/Deimos but why do they have to  make him such a vile character...the man ooozes charisma and they waste him in too many scenes with JPL aka "twitch monkey". Gah!

Damn this show. I'm only still here for certain actors. sigh.

I would love to see a story with Vi/MBE/SN. Even with the crap they are given, that would be so far beyond awesome, it would turn their parts of Days must see tv, but of course we won't get that because why would Days capitalize on their best actors with really large fan bases. I mean this is the show that actually believed people would be enthralled by the return of SWMNBN.

• Love 6

I would love to see a story with Vi/MBE/SN. Even with the crap they are given, that would be so far beyond awesome, it would turn their parts of Days must see tv, but of course we won't get that because why would Days capitalize on their best actors with really large fan bases. I mean this is the show that actually believed people would be enthralled by the return of SWMNBN.

I know right?! Absolutely so far beyond totally awesome!!!!!!

Why indeed.....idiots.

• Love 2

Smart parents often have stupid kids.  It might have something to do with the fact Kayla kept him in the attic all those years and nobody saw him. And Steve really wanted the pocket man and Joey was a substitute Steve didn't care about.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 3

Is Days killing and framing everyone because they are being cancelled? This show is down right depressing. Everyone is in their own storyline and never interact. It's Steve, Kayla & Joey....it's Hope & Rafe....with a little bit of Ciera and her teen minions..........it's Belle & Phillip in bed......it's Theo being annoying.....it's Lani talking to someone because she doesn't have a storyline. Seriously! What is going on with this show? It's horrible!

• Love 2

For one year. And without Stefano, Will, Bo, Kristen, EJ, Sami and possibly a few other big deal characters around in a year's time...will there be enough left to keep folks watching?

I just realized that EJ's rape of Sami was virtually the same as Ava's rape of Steve. Both were agreeing only to save the life of a loved one (Lucas/Kayla).

• Love 3

Everyone is in their own storyline and never interact. It's Steve, Kayla & Joey....it's Hope & Rafe....with a little bit of Ciera and her teen minions..........it's Belle & Phillip in bed......it's Theo being annoying.....it's Lani talking to someone because she doesn't have a storyline. Seriously! What is going on with this show? It's horrible!

From what I understand, that's Dena's style of writing.  Now that the shows written/filmed after her leave of absence started, the characters are starting to interact again, like they were from Sep to Nov.   i.e.  Last week Hope finally talked to Roman

For those of you who were watching last time Dena was head writer, were the characters stuck in their own little bubbles then too?

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 3

From what I understand, that's Dena's style of writing.  Now that the shows written/filmed after her leave of absence started, the characters are starting to interact again, like they were from Sep to Nov.   i.e.  Last week Hope finally talked to Roman

For those of you who were watching last time Dena was head writer, were the characters stuck in their own little bubbles then too?

Why does Dena not get credit for September to November? I can understand the current material was written during her leave of absence, but surely she was around before that? And I don't agree that characters were confined to their own bubbles between December and February. There were good scenes like Maggie comforting Lucas as he faced his first Christmas since Will died, Jennifer calling in Lucas to deal with Eric's alcoholism, Belle and Paul visiting their brothers in hospital, Caroline and Julie comforting Maggie over Daniel's death, Rafe having a chat with Chase - just to name a few that stuck with me.

Any one of those scenes was more significant to me than Hope talking to Roman, her direct superior who also happened to be her brother-in-law. That was a necessary scene because someone had to condone Hope and Rafe's cover-up of her murder of Stefano.

Dena has committed enough crimes against decent storytelling without adding this to her resume.

I don't care who gets the credit or who gets the blame but Days has taken a disastrous detour into some very emotionally empty storytelling.  Besides the relentless downward spiral of virtually every character/couple/situation, there's a flatness, a two-dimensional (at best) feel to the show right now.  

The elation I feel to the very brief glimpses we get of JJ and Gabi, the sheer delight are out of proportion, no matter how much I enjoy them.  The rest of the show is just that off to me.  

And while I love VI in any incarnation, and he's a marvelous villian, even he seems stuck.  Of course, having to do a majority of his interacting with John Paul Lumpaleer would throw anyone off his game.

Somebody needs to hit the reset button and at the same time find the Eject swiitch and bounce JPL out on his steroided behind.

• Love 10

I just realized that EJ's rape of Sami was virtually the same as Ava's rape of Steve. Both were agreeing only to save the life of a loved one (Lucas/Kayla).

Not exactly. Lucas was actually on the verge of death; he and Sami were trapped in a blizzard and EJ was her only option to save Lucas. There were no other cars or people around, EJ's car was her last and only hope. EJ knew this and forced Sami to choose between letting Lucas die and having sex with him. Sami had no options.

Steve on the other hand had any number of options, which have been previously discussed, and he chose none of them. Steve chose to sleep with Ava rather than avail himself of the options he could have taken. This is why so many are torn on this story and not viewing Steve as much of a victim in this tale. Steve's claims of having no choice, don't comport with what played out on screen. SN is portraying victimization, but the writers did not write victimization. Considering Dena was in charge when this hot mess of a story was in full swing, and she loves SWMNBN, as was evidenced both this go round and TB's initial run when Higleypoo was clearly trying to create some sort of demented triangle when she had Steve crying at SWMNBN beside and continuing to see her when his pregnant wife asked him not to, I have no doubt that Higley planned to create Sami and EJ part two, with Steve suddenly in love with SWMNBN, who would undoubtedly be revealed to be pregnant with his child as a result of the "I did it to save Kayla sex," and Kayla being the loser in the triangle. This is where the Sami and EJ comparison works with Steve and SWMNBN.

There is in fact an additional Steve/SWMNBN comparison, Steve taking the rap for Joey's crime against the monster who was trying to destroy his family mirrors Lucas taking the blame for Will's crime against the monster who destroyed his family.

• Love 2

Ava's teeth bother me

I was marathoning Leverage yesterday and this made me think of Parker and her odd teeth obsession.  And I laughed a lot.  Thank you!.

I am honestly 15 episodes behind, and when I go to cue up the DVR I have actual pains.  I just - for the first time in my life - do not want to watch.

Reading here is not helping.

• Love 4
Not exactly. Lucas was actually on the verge of death; he and Sami were trapped in a blizzard and EJ was her only option to save Lucas. There were no other cars or people around, EJ's car was her last and only hope. EJ knew this and forced Sami to choose between letting Lucas die and having sex with him. Sami had no options.

Steve on the other hand had any number of options, which have been previously discussed, and he chose none of them. Steve chose to sleep with Ava rather than avail himself of the options he could have taken. This is why so many are torn on this story and not viewing Steve as much of a victim in this tale. Steve's claims of having no choice, don't comport with what played out on screen. SN is portraying victimization, but the writers did not write victimization.

For me, the portrayal is somewhere in the middle.  Kayla was shown to be weak and hallucinating, so I believed she was in danger.  Steve made bad decisions in the lead up to the story, but in the moment I did believe he was out of options.  And I've seen a mixture of victimization and agency from Steve in the follow through, both in the performance and the dialogue.  The writers have written Steve saying that he didn't have a choice, but also owning what he did.  At this point, I think what hurts the story most is the juxtaposition with Ciara's rape;

Marlena's upcoming kidnapping is not going to help either.

I hate, hate, hate the direction of both of the Ava stories, but I never got the sense either time that there was some longer story planned with Steve and Ava.  I think this is Dena's idea of a supercouple story.

• Love 4

I may be predisposed to sympathizing with Joey because he looks an awful lot like my first boyfriend. Although, Joey is far more emotional than he ever was. It was a long time ago and Joey kind of makes me nostalgic.

As for being a bit on the dumb side... well... it's not like everyone else in Salem is covering themselves in glory regarding the decisions that they make. And he's still young. Didn't we meet Kayla and Steve by the time they were in their twenties? And let's not forget that Steve, before he arrived in Salem, had managed to get his eye cut out over an anemic blonde that was banging him and Bo. And had also married someone else (this Marina chick) and forgot to tell anyone about it. 

Chase being a full on creeper is not a good thing at all.

That rave was hilariously stupid but at least they tried with the lights. Way too spread out, though. Every rave I ever knew had a throbbing mass of bodies on the dance floor that always seemed to be too small. Lots of glowing accouterments, too. And some of the most ridiculous get ups EVER.

However, I am kind of digging Claire's Steve Nicks aesthetic. Rock on, Gold Dust Woman.

I don't know exactly what you do with the situation (all of them) as is. The concept behind heroes falling from grace is that the story that follows is how they do their penance and earn their way back into the good graces of the audience. And when you have a teenager losing it and killing someone (you know, like how it happens on soaps on a fairly regular basis) you have to give them some damned wiggle room. Joey was an emotional mess and has been in turmoil ever since he returned to Salem. That has unfortunately only been exacerbated by the goings on of the soulless-eyed one who have been playing him and his parents like puppets on a string. Truer words were never spoken when he said that Ava always wins. (This is the biggest problem that Higley has with her chosen villains. She dumbs down the heroes and makes her villains WAY too powerful and omnipotent and then she wipes them out so that no one gets any real satisfaction. This is an ongoing issue with her. If anyone ever saw Spencer Truman, you'd know exactly what I mean.)

So in that regard, there is a huge part of me that is happy that Ava is gone and that her last moments were not smug at all.. that the person she used to insert her way back into Steve and Kayla's lives, the one that she twisted around her finger to have him dancing to her tune, was the one that done her in.

And I thought that it was played well afterwards... Joey was a fucking WRECK and that's good because it means he does have a soul. And Steve taking the blame for it is absolutely understandable but Joey is not going to hold onto this well. His natural state seems to be half-cocked as it is... this has already wrecked him and it's can't be too long before he snaps.

I can't imagine Kayla being too thrilled with this at all. A) Her son is now a murderer due to Steve's leavings... B) Steve telling him to not say anything hasn't helped.

Isn't Kayla the one who figured out that Ava's father was screwing with her meds all those years ago and actually helped that thing out? Talk about no good deed going unpunished.

• Love 8

1) As for being a bit on the dumb side... well... it's not like everyone else in Salem is covering themselves in glory regarding the decisions that they make. And he's still young. Didn't we meet Kayla and Steve by the time they were in their twenties? And let's not forget that Steve, before he arrived in Salem, had managed to get his eye cut out over an anemic blonde that was banging him and Bo. And had also married someone else (this Marina chick) and forgot to tell anyone about it.

2) I don't know exactly what you do with the situation (all of them) as is. The concept behind heroes falling from grace is that the story that follows is how they do their penance and earn their way back into the good graces of the audience. And when you have a teenager losing it and killing someone (you know, like how it happens on soaps on a fairly regular basis) you have to give them some damned wiggle room. Joey was an emotional mess and has been in turmoil ever since he returned to Salem. That has unfortunately only been exacerbated by the goings on of the soulless-eyed one who have been playing him and his parents like puppets on a string. Truer words were never spoken when he said that Ava always wins. (This is the biggest problem that Higley has with her chosen villains. She dumbs down the heroes and makes her villains WAY too powerful and omnipotent and then she wipes them out so that no one gets any real satisfaction. This is an ongoing issue with her. If anyone ever saw Spencer Truman, you'd know exactly what I mean.) So in that regard, there is a huge part of me that is happy that Ava is gone and that her last moments were not smug at all.. that the person she used to insert her way back into Steve and Kayla's lives, the one that she twisted around her finger to have him dancing to her tune, was the one that done her in.

3) And I thought that it was played well afterwards... Joey was a fucking WRECK and that's good because it means he does have a soul. And Steve taking the blame for it is absolutely understandable but Joey is not going to hold onto this well. His natural state seems to be half-cocked as it is... this has already wrecked him and it's can't be too long before he snaps.

4) I can't imagine Kayla being too thrilled with this at all. A) Her son is now a murderer due to Steve's leavings... B) Steve telling him to not say anything hasn't helped. Isn't Kayla the one who figured out that Ava's father was screwing with her meds all those years ago and actually helped that thing out? Talk about no good deed going unpunished.

1) Well, I said that dimwitted Joey came by his stupidity naturally, he inherited the stupid from his father.

2) More proof that Higley is a talentless hack who destroys every show she gets her hands on -- how does she keep getting hired. I mean isn't there someone in all of California, since that's all that's left of soapdom, who actually have some actual ability to write and advance stories in a way that doesn't make the fandom want to scream and run.

3) Because I'm still on the fence as to why Joey actually committed the murder because again, bad execution on the part of the writers, did he do it because Skank was trying to frame Kayla for a non-crime, or did he do it because Skank banged his father and wouldn't bang him? Joey's status as a dimwit and his being under the influence clouds his motivations for me. Either way, Joey is clearly emotionally unstable and while Steve thinks he is protecting his son, he is actually doing more damage to his already fragile mental state.

4) This again goes back to the show's refusal to allow Kayla agency and the time to stand in her own truth. She should be furious by the damage Steve continues to unleash on her life and the fact that as a 60 something year old man, he hasn't learned how not to be a lying, liar who lies. Literally every awful thing that has happened to her can be traced back to Steve and Kayla is allowed two weeks of anger and then she forgives. Perhaps if she held Steve accountable for his actions, he might actually change and truly earn his place in her life. As currently written, Steve doesn't have to change because he more than anyone preys upon Kayla's good nature and uses it to his advantage (this is why I was conflicted when the show used Bo's death as a catalyst to make Kayla take Steve back, she needed time to process and as she said, Steve just kept after her, not giving her a moment to breath or think). I love Kayla and Steve, but after this storyline, I find myself siding with Fauxman, and believing that Kayla needs to excise Steve from her life until he proves he can and has changed, if not, we will be in the same place six months from now. Just because Steve loves Kayla, doesn't mean he is what's best for her, and that's something I never thought I'd say.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 3

Checking in after a while.

Quite honestly, I am unhappy with the direction this show is headed. I am beyond tired of hearing about Daniel, and I abhor the Chase/Ciara storyline. Watching Hope and Rafe is not really engaging either, nor is Philip/Belle, and I need not say anything about Chad/Abigail.

Basically, the only thing keeping me around right now is Deimos. This is the first time I've seen VI's acting, but he's terrific. The storyline is kind of intriguing too.

• Love 3
However, I am kind of digging Claire's Steve Nicks aesthetic. Rock on, Gold Dust Woman.

Can there be a writer on staff who's under fifty years old? I should imagine not. (Not that I take it issue with Dande's observation -- far from it. I just can't imagine that this is an aesthetic that would even occur to, let alone appeal to, a woman in her early twenties. Or is Claire one of the teens? And shouldn't I be able to tell? Or at the very least remember?)

Jeebus, these writers! Every time I think about starting to watch again, you all remind me why that's a bad idea. Thanks, people!

Edited to ask: Is Victor likely ever to call Phillip his favourite rude name, LP? It strikes me as apt, but given that Phillip is a) a boy, and b) blood kin, I don't see Victor applying "slut" to his nephew. He's not exactly an equal-opportunity name-caller. Although he might accuse Phillip of "whoring around," he might intend the verb more as an indictment of P's company than his behaviour. Of course, Victor has another nephew whose actual name is "Panic," so what the hell do I know?

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

Can there be a writer on staff who's under fifty years old? I should imagine not. (Not that I take it issue with Dande's observation -- far from it. I just can't imagine that this is an aesthetic that would even occur to, let alone appeal to, a woman in her early twenties. Or is Claire one of the teens? And shouldn't I be able to tell? Or at the very least remember?)

Ciara has been aged up to "almost 18" so since she was born over a year after Claire that should mean Claire should be 19 or almost 19. But who knows with these writers. 

I'm still disappointed that Victor hasn't referred to Abifail Lite and Phillip as whores, sluts, or bitches.

• Love 2

You never know, Claire could be one of those girls who actually loves music and is interested in things other than what's on right now. Her look in current terms would be considered BoHo Chic. Also Stevie Nicks' style was used on American Horror Story: Coven (the lady herself also made an appearance.) Its honestly not remotely out of the realm of possibility that a teenaged girl would go for this look.

She might not know it's Stevie Nicks. Hell, she probably wouldn't know that but the aesthetic itself is one that is currently and commonly seen. And if the teens are all suddenly bumped up to college age I can see that as even more likely.

• Love 4

Internet

That's why kids would know awesome and amazing and wonderful and perfect things like, "who is Stevie Nicks." 
Clair is a singer so it's quite possible she's a fan and then loved the look.

Stevie is a goddess. Never forget it. 

LOL

• Love 4

She was mostly called a witch, in a good way, but damn if I don't hear the name and think of that dreck song Sara.  That along with the Eagles in my high school years.  Punk was a well kept secret, even after the fact.  And we had to live through disco first. 

Anyway, long dresses have been back for, I don't know, at least five years? Gosh she's cute the way Kristen Storms was back in the day and I'm always a fan of consistent casting.  But, girl?  Don't you know if you show up for work at TBD twice a month your mother will pay you six figures? Claire has been consistently great though.  

I loved Friday's episode.  Loved it.  Chad, damn he made me cry.  And for once Failure was propping someone else.  Who doesn't need propping.  I wish someone had warned me not to watch Wednesday with Summer.  That crap could have been explained in five minutes and it took an entire episode. 

How satisfying was it to see Ava's dead face!!! It was almost worth the wait. If I could figure out how to get an avatar small enough for this site I'd do it.  But again, Steve could have made a better choice.  Take the pillow and leave. SN is surpassing the writing and I hope he's here forever.

I wonder if the teens are announcing their ages are 18 or nearly to somehow justify the drinking and rape that's going on.  The teen scene everyone remembers with Shawn and Phil and Belle didn't need that crap. Just good old fashioned sleeping around. 

The thought of Stefano's body smashed and decomposing after weeks is more than disgusting.  He should have gone away after the well done who shot Stefano plot a few years back.

• Love 1

As the observations continues

The opening scenes start with Nutmeg and Braniel .. She's Going cuckoo over someone dreaming over all.

"How can you kill the wrong man"

Because Rafe she was lost her mind... Hope is getting her horse scene back. Deimos is on her mind. She's going after the rught person I believe. Again. Writing. Finally..

Jabi scenes. They are cute. Nothing bad to say about them.

I swear Dario looks like Razor Ramon from NWO to me. They chemtesting Dario and Nicole. I could see it.

Nutmeg/Braniel are talking... again. I am now watching Tracy Quartermaine scenes.

Hope is saying she won't go rogue again. She explains her behavior was because she was falling apart inside. Rafe tells her don't worry about Andre he won't come after you...uhhh...Rafe you dunno Andre well enough even after 6 years huh.

Daniel mention then Melanie and now Summer Eve scenes again...

You know it would be a great relief if Summer Eve was Sarah Horton but she was an amnesiac nutbeg acting as Summer Eve! Then I could get behind this hot mess.

Dario is confirming Nutmeg is a ding ding. Nicole is asking if Taniel and Nutmeg had a thing. Dario don't know. (Ew... how gross would it be...)

Summer's personality is kind of funny, it's just the storyline is a horrible plot point. Theresa isn't happy Summer is coming to Salem. As she shouldn't be.

Roman is bringing up to Rafe that he should be careful covering up crimes because of Gabi. (YESSSSS WRITING TEAM. KEEP USING THE HISTORY MORE OFTEN TO SUPPORT THE STORIES, EVEN THE BAD ONES).

Gabi looks even dressed for the occasion with JJ.

Theresa so mad these tricks trying to catch a ride with her and her man.

• Love 2

Why does Dena not get credit for September to November? I can understand the current material was written during her leave of absence, but surely she was around before that?

I've seen it speculated either here or on another board that Dena's writing didn't kick in until December-ish, and that Josh was responsible for the September to December-ish shows.  I believe, in part, the conclusion was based on the fact that Dena wrote the Ava/Steve/Kayla story-line the first time, and the encore version began December-ish.

Also fans who have watched more than one soap, see a familiarity in the writing style of Dena and Josh.  Myself, I'm not familiar with any of the writer's styles except the previous writer's who gave us such riveting story-lines as the endless elephant extravaganza. [/sarcasm]

Ooo yes Gabi riding JJ's pony.

I guess that's one way to put it. LOL.  Seriously, that scene was so dark, at least on my TV screen, there could have been a "real" pony on set, and I wouldn't have seen it.   You guys finding some scenes are ridiculously dark?

So... still not liking the cover-up of Stefano's murder.  And Roman says the case is closed.  For the Salem/Brady PD, perhaps.  But unless Andre pleads guilty, which I highly doubt he will, doesn't there have to be a trial?

[edit to add]:  Why does it seem Nicole has more chemistry (Dario today) with every man except the "love of her life". 

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 2

Literally zero good reasons why Summers's Eve needs to be here. 

Shoutout to Hope and Rafe for discussing the murder they're covering up in the park.

JJ and Gabi are the only people who are happy so of course they get three minutes of airtime a week. 

• Love 7

I powered through a weeks + backlog of Days episodes on my dvr and I was expecting a paycheck at the end because it felt like a damn job. I barely know what I watched to some extent.

I may not have liked or expected how they got there but one over-riding feeling over the Ava story prevails over all - I'M SO GLAD THE BITCH IS DEAD!!!  

That being said WTH are they doing to the youth of Salem? Why the hell soras Ciara just to make her a rape victim; Chase just to make him a creepy stalker rapist with Andre as a mentor; and Joey just to become a killer? This show is just joy and hope free. Ain't no sunshine or light-heartedness to be found anywhere.

I must've been on a Days break when he was on the show because I have no idea who Diego is.  

I don't understand the whole Summer thing. Is she Dan's twin, long lost full sister or just his half sister? Summer was described as being 30-35, ain't no mistaking Dan for that so I call BS on twinsies. If the show isn't claiming she is Daniel's twin, than how the hell can she be Maggie's daughter? Another separate egg baby? Who asked for this? I don't see why we need this. I guess it could be worse, could have been Dan's exact twin. LOL! Still, I resent the hell out of this story because continues with the blessed be our dead Daniel crap the show is peddling. I can almost see Summer's Eve (who isn't bringin' the freshness) and Maggie in the K manse waxing poetic about the Patron Saint of self tanner reminiscing about shit that never happened. 

This is probably just me, but from some angles I think Summer and Ann (Theresa's now invisible friend) look like they could be relatives. 

One of the more disgusting lines was when Chase was admitting raping Ciara to Andre in that dirt floor bunker they are living in (WHY?@?)  and Andre says: "But you love her" as if that made it okay. Seriously! I rewound twice just to make sure I heard that right. 

I just can't anymore with the whole Hope/Rafe/Stefano/Andre frame up. Can't!! 

So Chad is all set to have a wedding with his brother's side piece.  I was so hoping they would elope instead of seeing her prancing around pretending to be a virgin bride.

You would think having a death in the family would make someone more inclined to elope. But nope, Chad wants all the bells and whistles now. Makes no sense.

A line I am sure the show didn't intend to be funny but was to me last week:

Victor to Phillip (paraphrasing): You are gonna have to give the acting performance of your life to convince Deimos that you are betraying me. 

Me to myself in my living room: Phillip is as good as dead!

Belle is such a dumb bird! Why is she throwing around Dimera money by buying jewels and now a nightclub for her teenage daughter. I guess just because her head is shaped like a lightbulb doesn't mean she is rife with good ideas. Her and Phillip skeeve me out. 

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 13

I actually liked today.  Gabi and JJ were smokin' hot, Theresa had a tiny bit of snark back (more, please!), and Nicole got to smile.  The hagiography of Dr. Daniel Jonas needs to end, though.  Nicole may have forgotten all the times that Daniel slammed the door in her face, blew her off for other people, or told her he was done with her while she cried and begged for forgiveness, but I haven't.  AZ and JV have nice chemistry; hopefully the show will let Nicole move on with him or Deimos sooner rather than later.

buffynut, I agree about many scenes being too dark. 

Summer really does resembles Anne. 

• Love 10

You never know, Claire could be one of those girls who actually loves music and is interested in things other than what's on right now. Her look in current terms would be considered BoHo Chic. Also Stevie Nicks' style was used on American Horror Story: Coven (the lady herself also made an appearance.) Its honestly not remotely out of the realm of possibility that a teenaged girl would go for this look.

Point taken. Besides, I never want to underestimate Ms. Nicks. I still think the writers don't really write young people convincingly.

Point taken. Besides, I never want to underestimate Ms. Nicks. I still think the writers don't really write young people convincingly.

Oh, on that I pretty much agree. Come on, they had someone say 'totally rad' in an unironic way. I realize the 80s are big again... but not like that.

• Love 2

What the heck was that music JJ and Gabi were dancing to?  It sounded like Eve's porno music.

Why does Summer have Brady's sobriety chip?

I have a feeling Lani won't let the case go.

Edited by Rick Kitchen

JJ and Gabi are the only people who are happy so of course they get three minutes of airtime a week.

Gabi has already been sexually assaulted and killed someone so they don't have a quota to meet. For now.

Quelle Sara was by Jefferson Starship (Airplane). Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac did Rhiannon.

I loved The Doors in HS. Classic rock is huge with kids like the Dead, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Bob Marley, however....these Days kids don't really sing like or have the philosophical mindset of the fans of that type music LOL

• Love 4