Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Passage

• Start Topic

When Elizabeth brings Alison with her to India on her first state department trip abroad, she’s thrown into crisis mode when a massive earthquake hits that causes an explosion at an American-owned factory, and she’s separated from Alison during the chaos.

The Matt/Daisy thing is really annoying.  It doesn't ring in the least bit true, and it's taking up more and more screen time each episode.  Now, it only takes a turn for the worse, with additional relationship complications, which can only demand even more screen time down the line, to play out and resolve.  I like this show, but I'm starting to skip forward through all the awkward, rubbishy scenes, where these two try to pretend that there is an iota  of chemistry between them.

When I saw those huge vats/tanks at the opening of the plant, why did the word "Bhopal" keep echoing through my brain? 

Eldest daughter Stevie really does need to grow up.  She only suspects dad of having an affair and she's off on a bender, instead of going to the job she's already late for?

Middle daughter Alison -- how old is she supposed to be?  She's got a distractingly enormous set of boobs for a supposedly mid-teens child she otherwise appears to be.

Youngest son Jason.  Somebody call Mark Twain.  It's time to plug up a bung-hole!

• Love 4

I've been enjoying this show, despite the children and the staff, but this episode discourages me, because it felt so phony from start to finish. I did very much enjoy that she read a couple of staff members the riot act they deserved, but they're probably still going to be smug and unappealing. Hate the Matt/Daisy non-thing. I can't believe she'd be interested in him at all.

Really, the only thing I completely enjoy is the marriage, and if the show screws with that, I have no remaining reason to watch.

• Love 2

Was it just me, or did anyone else crack up when the husband said that he was working for the NSA?

Of course they have to give him a plot element like that.

And of course he'd magically be granted a security clearance higher than a high ranking cabinet member.

• Love 2

Horrible greenscreeing on their version of an Indian chemical plant.

A backlot in Pasadena looks like a backlot in Pasadena.

Was it just me, or did anyone else crack up when the husband said that he was working for the NSA?

And of course he'd magically be granted a security clearance higher than a high ranking cabinet member.

Well remember, the Assistant President, er... I mean Chief of Staff.. already somehow outranks her.  Apparently she's the least cleared and authoritative Secretary of State ever.

Really, in real life the SoS is not only a cabinet member, but outside of active wartime, the highest ranking one.  So yeah, the idea of her husband being read into something before her is pretty damn silly. Then again so is this entire show. The biggest issue here is that the only reason she'd be kept out of it is plausible deniability. But that's total BS in this case, because nobody would ever believe the SoS wouldn't have knowledge of whatever he is doing. So if it goes belly up and blows up, she takes the damage anyway. I can't even comprehend the husband not getting this. It almost sounds like a setup by someone to sink her. Handcuff the husband from talking, get him into a situation that totally goes to fucked up town, then lay it all on her doorstep (because she's damned if she tries to disassociate herself, and damned if she doesn't).

And frankly this crisis of the week? Okay, it's not impossible. But the "magic solution of the week"? I was rolling my eyes.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

The Matt/Daisy thing is really annoying.  It doesn't ring in the least bit true, and it's taking up more and more screen time each episode.  Now, it only takes a turn for the worse, with additional relationship complications, which can only demand even more screen time down the line, to play out and resolve.  I like this show, but I'm starting to skip forward through all the awkward, rubbishy scenes, where these two try to pretend that there is an iota  of chemistry between them.

Okay, go ahead and seat me at the snarky table for one, but I'm just going to say it. Daisy...I find myself staring at her to try to figure out what's wrong. I can't tell if it's her garish eye makeup that seems way too much for a SoS staffer, if it's the horribly executed blond/brown weave, or if it's her snarling at basically everyone she interacts with. Has she ever smiled? I don't know...she just seems odd to me and I can't warm up to her. Then again, when Lillith is the only person on a show you like, that's very telling about the whole ensemble.

Like everyone else I see no chemistry between Daisy and Matt. And don't even get me started if they cast a handsome, charismatic guy as Winthrop. Then all credibility will truly be lost that Daisy would screw that up by having an office affair with Matt.

• Love 2

I still don't know about this show, I jeep on watching and I am not sure why?!

Matt and Daisy no Chemistry, don't buy the husbsnd with the NSA crap, was it too emasculating just to have him a professor. I think they are trying to show the kids as strong minded but they are just annoying as hell. If it wasn't for Bebe Neuwirth and Tea's assistant I wouldn't have much positive to say about the show.

• Love 2

Kromm: "It almost sounds like a setup by someone to sink her. Handcuff the husband from talking, get him into a situation that totally goes to fucked up town, then lay it all on her doorstep (because she's damned if she tries to disassociate herself, and damned if she doesn't)."

Yep. This is what I'm afraid they're doing. I didn't pay  all that much attention to what he told her about his assignment, but I think it had to do with contacting a particular man? I'm afraid the show is going to do the obvious--kill the man and frame her husband. At the very least, the show will put them in situations where they have to work at cross-purposes. Ugh. He should have said, "No. Not while my wife is SoS." And she shouldn't be so casual about the whole thing. She should have even been more upset than at the idea of him having an affair. "You're going to do WHAT? With me as SoS? Are you CRAZY?"

(Quote function not working well for me today.)

• Love 1

I really wish they would get the kids together. You have the oldest a college dropout who instead of trying to act like an adult gets the smallest insult for child #2 and then gets a thought of her dad cheating on her mom. "I need a drink!" As for daughter #2, for someone who is acting like a teen she seems to do well calling out everyone else's crap pretty easily. I agree with up on the post, she looks a bit older than for her character. The crisis of the week made no sense and yes, no way her Tim Daley would be working with the NSA and her not knowing about it. They are starting to really get caught up in their storylines that make no sense. Who is the consultants for CBS, they are worse than ABC consultants on their government shows. 

• Love 1

Okay, go ahead and seat me at the snarky table for one, but I'm just going to say it. Daisy...I find myself staring at her to try to figure out what's wrong. I can't tell if it's her garish eye makeup that seems way too much for a SoS staffer, if it's the horribly executed blond/brown weave, or if it's her snarling at basically everyone she interacts with. Has she ever smiled? I don't know...she just seems odd to me and I can't warm up to her. Then again, when Lillith is the only person on a show you like, that's very telling about the whole ensemble.

Like everyone else I see no chemistry between Daisy and Matt. And don't even get me started if they cast a handsome, charismatic guy as Winthrop. Then all credibility will truly be lost that Daisy would screw that up by having an office affair with Matt.

I actually think they do have chemistry in a weird sort of way. Like you said "office affair" is on the nose because it really feels like it's just the high of their work that has brought them together. I'm not saying it's good writing or even a good storyline because for me it's not, but I think the actors are doing a good job with what they are being given.

Of course I'm still trying to comprehend that Geoffrey Arend is married to Christina Hendricks so my read of things may be off.

• Love 1

I'm enjoying this show more and more each week, primarily because I like the relationship between Elizabeth and her husband. Tea Leoni was really good in the scene where she found out he was working for the NSA again.  That split second when he didn't answer "no" when she asked if he was having an affair, and her reaction, got me. 

• Love 3

Cute, references to the soccer world championship. And Blake playing the drum roll cracked me up, or more the Secretary's reaction to it. Nice beat.

Thought for a moment, Scott could be a redshirt, earthquake victim, but thankfully he was good for something else as character.

Matt is some jerk, bit of a self-absorded wordsmith. His remarks in the meeting discussing possible first official trip were so tacky. And then later in the pub seeing Stevie totally wasted, the first and only thing he can think of his reputation and what his boss would say about two top staff members alone in a pub? Not getting sympathy points from me. But some people are like that, so he works as character.

Don't care about Matt and Daisy as couple, but it doesn't bother me either. Seen stranger attractions in real life.

Liked that Matt and Daisy both get some telling-off by McCord. Matt should have gotten by now, that his new boss is no windbag, no fan of truism nor doing things by the book, so of course she doesn't just look for excellence but as well commitment. As it was amusing that Daisy couldn't get out of the typical narrow PR box of worrying more about public image than things been done right. Nevertheless think McCord was a tad hard on Daisy, it is Daisy's job to see whatever the press could bear down on before the press sees it. McCord is no easy boss (but one I would like to work for, though quite sure clash with).

The diplomatic challenge of the week... The earthquake was something I struggled a bit to buy into. What I liked though about it, was seeing how petty things sometimes can get. We think reading news can drive crazy, well, try working in politics. But sorry, U.S. politicians are not always the most reasonable people either. The policy displayed here was something I found not unrealistic. And the solution had something.

Henry working (again) for NSA. Not sure about that, undecided if I can go with it. On the other hand I was wondering how a CIA analyst and military pilot (now retired and turned ethics professor) met. Maybe a touch too much secrecy and risk involvement though.

But I love that the McCords' marriage is despite all the challenges, stress and conflicts working quite well, something rare on screen. Normally we get to see either the chase and capture or the disfunction and divorce, a working marriage is pretty much seen has having no appeal , no drama energy, no changes,  no excitement. So seeing a functional marriage on screen is something refreshing. Hope the show sticks with it, and that it could prove, there can still be enough challenges and development for the characters. It's one of the reasons I like watching this show and are ready to cut them some slack with other things so far.

Think I am more ready to cut  present time, real world shows some slack than I do in case of fantasy and science fiction shows, funny.

Eldest daughter Stevie really does need to grow up.  She only suspects dad of having an affair and she's off on a bender, instead of going to the job she's already late for?

Stevie got drunk the next day, evening. She told Daisy, she saw her father "yesterday", and from the looks and dialogue when she saw her dad that was late morning, maybe lunch time, so Stevie probably is working a sort of early shift these days. She went on a bender the next day, and it looked like evening.

I'm enjoying this show more and more each week, primarily because I like the relationship between Elizabeth and her husband. Tea Leoni was really good in the scene where she found out he was working for the NSA again.  That split second when he didn't answer "no" when she asked if he was having an affair, and her reaction, got me. 

Yes, that was some great moment. 

Edited by katusch
  • Love 2

Didn't they meet in college? I thought there was a reference to that in the pilot.

You might be right. Don't remember if something was said in the pilot, but just the episode before the priest mentioned, Henry was a brilliant student but distracted by a newborn (Stevie) and a radiant wife. (blame Monday-brain)

Worst episode of the season, imo.  I like her husband, but I kind of hope he is lying to her about the NSA thing. For one, it's just a little too convenient. Also, that she would just accept that she doesn't have high enough security clearance (as SoS??) is silly.  And he's just seeming a little too perfect - wonderful husband, father, former Marine turned professor who by the way works for the NSA in his downtime.

Daisy/Matt is a waste of screentime.

I wonder if, in real life, spouses of security clearance cabinet secretaries have handlers to keep them from mixing with the wrong people.  In this case, it would be so easy to monitor his conversation with a remote microphone and, a)pick up confidential NSA information, or b)pick up personal chatter suitable for blackmail.  I'm thinking specifically of a situation similar to the Anna Chapman escapade, where she was finally picked up the FBI, or whoever, because she was getting too close to a high level, unnamed, administration person.

So maybe he's working for B613 instead.  They are running short of people.

ETA:

Maybe that's why most adults don't live with their parents."  Boom!

Parent of the Year Award!  I said the same thing at the time, as my 22 yr. old just moved back in.

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Love 2

Ah, yes, the Marine/scholar of religion/perfect husband & father/super-secret NSA guy trope is just SO credible.  I laughed through the entire episode.

I suppose Tea Leone will be a lot more palatable in this role (to me) once that Katherine Heigl show starts.  ;-)

• Love 4

Did anyone recognize Anna Wood (Jamie Sawyer on Reckless) as the woman that Tim Daly's character was meeting in the restaurant when the daughter Stevie walked by? I was glad to see her, but I'm sorry that CBS has cancelled Reckless since I missed her character Jamie Sawyer.

Worst episode of the season, imo.  I like her husband, but I kind of hope he is lying to her about the NSA thing. For one, it's just a little too convenient. Also, that she would just accept that she doesn't have high enough security clearance (as SoS??) is silly.  

It's fucking stupid. It also really shows once more than we really have to meet the goddamn Secretary of Defense, because in theory the Director of the NSA reports to the SecDef (actually to the Undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence).  If there was any clearance issue with a SoS, you'd think it would have to be coming from pretty far up when the NSA Director himself is already a few pegs down the chain.

I suppose Tea Leone will be a lot more palatable in this role (to me) once that Katherine Heigl show starts.  ;-)

Yeah. I know people accuse Tea Leone of being a bit wooden, but I far prefer her to The Heigl and her fake annoying ass (not that they're actually playing equivalent roles, but the shows are both in this stupid Washington power conspiracy/contrived crisis of the week genre).

• Love 1

The Assistant President sure does look at his phone a lot. And I love how he was just standing around while POTUS and his buddy were skeet shooting. Couldn't someone give him a gun and let him shoot too?

• Love 1

I was hoping Téa would take the gun and put them all to shame!

I thought the same for a moment when the scene came on, but then thought better of it.  It would have actually played out as a huge trope if she had (I don't know the name of it, but I know it's one--the faux-boosting of a character we deem unlikely to be a good shot coming along and being a shooting genius, showing up the macho men types).

I thought the same for a moment when the scene came on, but then thought better of it.  It would have actually played out as a huge trope if she had (I don't know the name of it, but I know it's one--the faux-boosting of a character we deem unlikely to be a good shot coming along and being a shooting genius, showing up the macho men types).

Elizabeth already proved she can hold herself up to such guys, showing her golf skills (and Tea Leonie has a handicap of 12 or so, quite good, knowing that, the scene in episode 2 was not that much of a surprise maybe, and more and more women are golfing, but cliches still work).

Well her character was CIA - she probably received some form of firearms training at one point or another. If she didn't then, she lived on a farm, so she probably had experience with weapons from then. Not saying she'd be an Olympic level marksman, but she'd probably be able to hit something.

Not saying she'd be an Olympic level marksman, but she'd probably be able to hit something.

It's a shotgun.  It fires 400+ pellets at a time.  It's designed for people who can't shoot.

(Full disclosure:  I'm a former competitive rifle and pistol shooter.)

• Love 1

Well remember, the Assistant President, er... I mean Chief of Staff.. already somehow outranks her.

I remember that the Chief of Staff in the West Wing also seemed to have a lot of power, and I don't recall people complaining about it. So not sure how significant this issue is.

• Love 1

I remember that the Chief of Staff in the West Wing also seemed to have a lot of power, and I don't recall people complaining about it. So not sure how significant this issue is.

I admit it matters only when compared to the real world (vs. The West Wing).

Frankly it should have been more of an issue on The West Wing, but even there they didn't pretend Leo McGarry could order around the Secretary of State. The importance of the key Cabinet members was not diminished on that show by it insisting Leo had a lot of influence.

In spite of the alleged power-broking flaws (which I know little about since I'm not American), I enjoy this show. I do think they try to cram too much into one hour, especially since they seem to want eps to be stand-alones, wrapping up the crisis du jour in a neat bow by 9 pm.

They could skip,the workplace romance dramatics and just keep the co-worker storylines to their infighting for speech writing powers and such.

I think Daisy looks like a cat, maybe that's the "oddness" a poster referenced up thread? She's very feline and smooth, if that makes sense.

Hate that they had to go to the well of cheating husband, ugh. Like there's no such thing as a happy marriage, especially when the wife has a powerful job. Hubby is interesting enough as a religion professor, former marine and father - no need to muck it up with this extra nonsense. Tim and Tea are great together.

I like the daughters, a nice mix of personalities there. I still think the son looks like an 8 year old.

Me too. She looked like she was going down. "No." "Well, you're going to have to do better than that!" "Are you out of your mind?" "Ok, better..."

I worked last Sunday night so just watched this (not high priority), but like SeattleSunshine, when it became obvious to me that hubby was a spy not a cheater, I said out loud to the screen: Whew!

Best line: When SoS and Lilith were debating whether the Indian lady bigwig was smiling or smirking and Lilith said: Both. It's a smirkle.

• Love 1

Daisy bugs the heck out of me for the same reasons she does you. Add to them, the stiff and jerky way she walks/moves in order to get her fake hair to sway back and forth. Bothersome.

Oh, and add Bebe Newerth (sp?) to my list of characters to avoid. Pffffft.

I'll admit to loving the SoS's private secretary. I get a kick out of him.

Edited by tinderbox

Why does the Secretary of State ask her speech writer and press coordinator to coordinate efforts stateside while she is abroad? There are no Deputy and Under Secretaries in that universe's Department?

And how many layers will we find on Henry McCord? A retired Marine Captain, fighter pilot, Desert Shield / Storm veteran, Professor in Religious Studies and an NSA Agent?

It's fucking stupid. It also really shows once more than we really have to meet the goddamn Secretary of Defense, because in theory the Director of the NSA reports to the SecDef (actually to the Undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence).  If there was any clearance issue with a SoS, you'd think it would have to be coming from pretty far up when the NSA Director himself is already a few pegs down the chain.

The SecState and SecDef are statutory members of the National Security Council. In fact, SecState is the third senior member of the Council, after POTUS and VPOTUS. The Director of National Intelligence, the one coordinates all intelligence activities - including those of NSA - is an Advisor to the Council, the Intelligence Advisor. Therefore, the idea that an NSA asset / agent / operator is more privy to information than the incumbent Secretary of State is beyond ridiculous.

• Love 1

The program description (above, and the one given on Comcast) mentioned the SOS being separated from her daughter after the quake, as though this was a big plot point.  Then they get reunited 2 minutes later (in show time), with no scenes of a desperate Beth in turmoil that her child may have died.  Just "I have to find my daughter" as the SS escorts her to safety, follwed by "Oh good, you're safe"

And he's just seeming a little too perfect - wonderful husband, father, former Marine turned professor who by the way works for the NSA in his downtime.

And how many layers will we find on Henry McCord? A retired Marine Captain, fighter pilot, Desert Shield / Storm veteran, Professor in Religious Studies and an NSA Agent?

I halfway expected to find out that he had once worked for the Hotshots (or, better yet, he trained the Hotshots) and she would solve this week's crisis by having him fly to India and put out the fire singlehandedly. 

Edited by needschocolate