Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: Jill's Wedding

In an earlier broadcast of this great composition, Jill said that she had no idea the song was about them. It was after Derick told her then she said "Oh yeah". It's because IMO, they aren't allowed to listen to music like that and it's the first time EVER that she has listened to a ballad-type contemporary pop song. She really is clueless about such things as contemporary music, etc...

If it were Jill and Jana walking down the street at that park and that cute guy said "hey listen to my song", they would have had to decline because they wouldn't be allowed to hear it. It's not classical, or hymns, which is what the Duggars have said over and over that that's the only kind of music they listen to or allow their kids to hear...then they conveniently added bluegrass to the list when Lawson Bates had a CD come out recently. Nothing like helping out a friend.

Wait, when did she say this again? In the interviews I heard Jill said that she knew the song was about them by the second verse and then she started getting excited because she realized that Derick was going to purpose. I did see one interview that looked like it was shot after she got married (which means her proposal episode had aired by then) and she seemed confused as to the details of her proposal. She said she didn't remember much of what happened and would have to ask the "film crew" for the footage which made no sense to me because does that mean she didn't watch her proposal beforehand? Do the Duggars have a rule about not watching their own show? Weird that she wouldn't be at least a little curious but maybe she's one of those who doesn't like watching herself on TV anyway?

Personally, I cannot listen to that song one more time. Not one more time!!!!

And I also thought Kynzie rolled around more than Josie. But that's just how those girls in MARYLAND act (says the mother from Virginia!) ;)

Hey now, not all of us MARYLAND gals act that way. :) I did think it was funny when Kynzie stretched herself out on the church steps. One of the things that gets to me is they always say "DC" or "the DC area" when they refer to where Josh & Anna live. I know he works in DC & they live close to DC, but I don't think they have ever said Maryland on the show. I guess DC sounds classier. Lord knows the Duggars need all the class they can get.
  • Love 2

To be fair, I live in NoVa and I almost always say I'm from DC rather than just VA when taking to people from outside the area. It probably stems from going to college in the Midwest and having people ask me if I lived on a farm when I said I was from VA. Saying I'm from DC more adequately defines where I live and explains my near psychotic state brought on by the constant traffic :-).

• Love 3

I was just watching Jill's 21st birthday episode and her parents gave her a diamond cross. Derick got her a birthstone heart while in Nepal. She appears to be wearing a new diamond heart with her wedding dress. I just thought it was odd that she didn't wear one of the previous gifts. Maybe the new heart was a gift from Derick. Silly thoughts...

I thought she said she knew by the second line (which was pretty much a giveaway) that it was about them?  Sometimes I wonder if we're all watching the same show; maybe some of us drop off to sleep from time to time...

Edited by joanofarch4
  • Love 1

Hey now, not all of us MARYLAND gals act that way. :) I did think it was funny when Kynzie stretched herself out on the church steps. One of the things that gets to me is they always say "DC" or "the DC area" when they refer to where Josh & Anna live. I know he works in DC & they live close to DC, but I don't think they have ever said Maryland on the show. I guess DC sounds classier. Lord knows the Duggars need all the class they can get.

I always thought they said "DC area" because they don't want people finding out where they actually live.  They never say "Tonitown" either - and rarely "Springdale." We usually hear "northwest Arkansas" which I always thought was odd too. Could they have legitimate stalker or other security-type issues?

They've referred to Tontitown and Springdale numerous times on the show.  Not constantly, but enough that you wouldn't need to be a stalker to know where they live.  (Hell, they once flashed the entire address on the screen during the skydiving episode.  I paused on it to make sure, and none of it was blurred out.)  I'm not sure if they deliberately don't say when J&A live, but the Duggars' location is definitely no secret on the show.  But they did get that giant fence up because of overzealous fans. 

Kiss my mutt, on 06 Nov 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

I guess I can understand why Jill didn't know the proposal song was about them since it sounds like every other contemporary Christian rock song out there.

Wouldn't the references to having to travel 5,000 miles to meet...and Katmandu...clued her in?

• Love 1

They've referred to Tontitown and Springdale numerous times on the show.  Not constantly, but enough that you wouldn't need to be a stalker to know where they live.  (Hell, they once flashed the entire address on the screen during the skydiving episode.  I paused on it to make sure, and none of it was blurred out.)  I'm not sure if they deliberately don't say when J&A live, but the Duggars' location is definitely no secret on the show.  But they did get that giant fence up because of overzealous fans. 

You can use Google Earth to see the house.  It's really more in Springdale that Tonitown

I know I'm late to the party - just getting around to watching "The Wedding."

Could they say "giving away" more if they tried?  I hate that term.  It also drives me crazy when adults refer to other adults as "Miss Cathy" (or whatever first name).  I know it's a southern thing - lived there for 10 years - and I never got used to it.

And I finally get what everyone was talking about with Boob having to explain the significance of cancer to MeChelle.  She looked completley clueless as to why he was telling her this information.

I didn't really mind the wedding at all.  Some was not to my taste, but it seemed to be to Jill's and was a lovely casual-type wedding.  Jill's parents made the episode almost impossible to watch though.

I was re-watching bits and pieces of Jill's wedding today, and I saw her TH about the rootbeer floats.

She says that she really wants them because they were a "special request." I wonder if they were in honor of Derick's mother? Most of the people that I have known who have undergone chemo have a hard time keeping food down, and there is often one thing they can eat, or wish they could eat. So maybe it was a special promise to her.

Of course, given the tween vibe of Jill's wedding, it could just be that she loves root beer floats.

Of course, given the tween vibe of Jill's wedding, it could just be that she loves root beer floats.

My understanding is that she went to another wedding where they served them and that's when she decided she wanted them for her own wedding.  

My understanding is that she went to another wedding where they served them and that's when she decided she wanted them for her own wedding.

Yes, this was the story one of the sisters told us.

And I finally get what everyone was talking about with Boob having to explain the significance of cancer to MeChelle. She looked completley clueless as to why he was telling her this information.

I think Boob had to keep talking long enough for Michelle to work out what emotion was appropriate to the situation.

• Love 2

I agree that this family has showed no real emotion or caring about just what Derick's mother was handling with her health and all. That is some serious stuff and Michelle had that wide-eyed, open mouthed teenage look on her face like she had never heard of such an illness before and didn't understand the magnitude of what cancer meant. Something is really wrong with that overgrown teenager.

Oh, yeah, I too, was tired of hearing how "everything was surreal". It's probably a new word they stumbled across and now they are over using it,

Being that Jill was being married and merely moving down the road from Jim Bob and the rest of "the clan", I find it highly insensitive and selfish of him to be continually "crying" over having to give Jill away and ridiculous of him to be standing in her bedroom with tears looking at her bed. It is an insult to all parents who have truly lost a child to this world. THEY are the ones, who will be without their child...Jim Bob should have been more sensitive as to how childish and stupidly he came across.

• Love 4
NausetGirl, on 07 Nov 2014 - 9:13 PM, said:

I always thought they said "DC area" because they don't want people finding out where they actually live.  They never say "Tonitown" either - and rarely "Springdale." We usually hear "northwest Arkansas" which I always thought was odd too. Could they have legitimate stalker or other security-type issues?

I don't think they are too worried, considering their home address is posted on their web site for those who want to send them gifts by FedEx or UPS.  http://www.duggarfamily.com/contact

Wow, no kidding? Their address is on their website? I've never visited there, but that doesn't seem very smart at all.  Of course, these are the always-have-our-hands-out Duggars...

Ya, but.... gifts.

Who cares about privacy compared to people giving you Free Stuff?

• Love 6

Can't believe how brazen these people are. They actually posted their physical address on the site for delivery packages? What nerve of them to do so. Yes, they are grifters, all right....no sense of decorum. They always have their hands out don't they. A skill they developed back in that little shack of a house when they grubbed freebees from their church and community; no conscience in them. Don't they realize they can buy most of their admirers many times over with their total net worth?

• Love 3

I find it highly insensitive and selfish of him to be continually "crying" over having to give Jill away and ridiculous of him to be standing in her bedroom with tears looking at her bed. It is an insult to all parents who have truly lost a child to this world. THEY are the ones, who will be without their child...Jim Bob should have been more sensitive as to how childish and stupidly he came across.

Another perspective- I lost my 34 year old daughter 5 years ago. She never married.

When Jim Bob teared up over how beautiful Jill looked on her wedding day, so did I. I understood where he was coming from because let's face it, a wedding day is supposed to be an emotional day. I always thought when my daughter got married I would need a case of kleenex. I grieve for memories we will never make but I do not begrudge seeing other people making theirs. At most, I envy them.

And, when I got married, neither of my parents expressed any emotion nor did they shed any tears. For some odd reason it really hurt my feelings and that was back in 1973! I wish my dad had shown a smidgen of emotion. I thought Jim Bob's reaction was genuine.

• Love 5

When Jim Bob teared up over how beautiful Jill looked on her wedding day, so did I. I understood where he was coming from because let's face it, a wedding day is supposed to be an emotional day.

I understood him being emotional over it to a point - his reaction made a lot more sense than MEchelle's to me.  I just think it was unnecessarily compounded with all the talk about "giving Jill away" and "leaving the family" and "transferring her heart from daddy to husband" or whatever garbage MEchelle was blathering on about.  I thought it was no wonder whichever little girl was crying in the foyer didn't want Jill to get married.

(I do get that some of this is just how they talk about it culturally - obviously Boob knew he'd see her again an all.)

• Love 3

I actually blame TLC for the constant "giving my daughter away" and "I can't believe Jill is leaving home" repetitions.  I don't deny that they say this all the time, and it might be to many of us over the top.  The truth is, most day to day life and chatter is pretty boring and repetitive.  We say the same things over and over and over which is why a script of a family is always more interesting than a real family, because the script leaves out all those boring, "I've told you six times now it's time to get up!"  "did you brush your teeth?"  "Your mom is coming over on Saturday."  "I'll be late, can you pick up the dry-cleaning?"  stuff.

There were so many other things or other people they could have put in there.

• Love 4

I actually blame TLC for the constant "giving my daughter away" and "I can't believe Jill is leaving home" repetitions.  I don't deny that they say this all the time, and it might be to many of us over the top.

I would also bet that they asked him to say it -- over and over. I'm sure they wanted multiple takes of him saying that, and I'm sure that they do that all the time. Then, they went to work and edited it so that it looked and sounded ridiculous and bored us all.

I think he's a doofus, and I think that this was probably an emotional time for him. They didn't need to repeat the same thing 200 times to make those points clear.

• Love 4

I would also bet that they asked him to say it -- over and over. I'm sure they wanted multiple takes of him saying that, and I'm sure that they do that all the time. Then, they went to work and edited it so that it looked and sounded ridiculous and bored us all.

I think he's a doofus, and I think that this was probably an emotional time for him. They didn't need to repeat the same thing 200 times to make those points clear.

I couldn't say I'd be surprised to find out that TLC asked Boob over and over again how he felt about Jill getting married. But I do wonder why they'd want him to look like a doofus - or why they'd deliberately edit the wedding episode to be as dull and repetitive as it was. Doesn't make sense - unless they want encourage lower ratings and an excuse to end the show? 

I couldn't say I'd be surprised to find out that TLC asked Boob over and over again how he felt about Jill getting married. But I do wonder why they'd want him to look like a doofus - or why they'd deliberately edit the wedding episode to be as dull and repetitive as it was. Doesn't make sense - unless they want encourage lower ratings and an excuse to end the show?

Well, to someone like me who just started watching this series... who is not on forums (unlike me) it can appear very sweet. Not all of us have fathers who express ANY kind of emotion, even when their daughter(s) get married. I was charmed, kinda still am only because my own father did not crack a smile.

My perceptions of the Duggars have changed since I started reading this forum but I do try to separate out facts from speculation which is hard to do since they are so controversial.

I suspect most people go awwww....how sweet is that?

• Love 2

Well, to someone like me who just started watching this series... who is not on forums (unlike me) it can appear very sweet. Not all of us have fathers who express ANY kind of emotion, even when their daughter(s) get married. I was charmed, kinda still am only because my own father did not crack a smile.

My perceptions of the Duggars have changed since I started reading this forum but I do try to separate out facts from speculation which is hard to do since they are so controversial.

I suspect most people go awwww....how sweet is that?

This theory could explain it, I guess. Maybe TLC thinks that their fans want to see two hours of Boob waxing poetix about Jilly Muffin. But two hours seems extreme. The next time they run this - and it'll be soon I know - I'm going to count the number of times he's shown yammering about giving away a daughter for the first time.

I finally slogged my way to the end of this....some thoughts.......

Derick has cute dimples...it's the top teeth that don't line up at the bottom edges that make him look like a jack-o-lantern.

JB is skeevy to the nth degree.

I'm waiting for Ben to say, "Life is like a box of chocolates....." Also: He needs to blow his nose or have his adenoids removed or something.

I finally realized who Jill reminds me of....put her in a gauzy top (yeah, right) , a pair of hip-hugger jeans (haha), keep the bare feet, keep the free-flowing hair, hand her a guitar (she does have one, right?)....and you have Sheryl Crow, Jr. !!!!!!

Edited by drafan
  • Love 5

I find JB to be inappropriately over-the-top with his affection for Jilly Muffin; it freaks me out a little...

I've gotten a weird emotionally incestuous vibe between those two since there were only 17 Kids and Counting.  At any given moment they were likely to look like an older Mormon and his child bride wife than father and daughter.  And I don't mean because he's affectionate with her; that's normal.  I can't explain it, but there's something about their dynamic that comes across as very odd to me.  Maybe it's just because Jill actually acts like the female head of household and Michelle acts like a bratty daughter. 

• Love 1

I've gotten a weird emotionally incestuous vibe between those two since there were only 17 Kids and Counting. At any given moment they were likely to look like an older Mormon and his child bride wife than father and daughter. And I don't mean because he's affectionate with her; that's normal. I can't explain it, but there's something about their dynamic that comes across as very odd to me. Maybe it's just because Jill actually acts like the female head of household and Michelle acts like a bratty daughter.

I'm with you -just blech!!!