Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: Jill's Wedding

Well, given that the most obvious American counterpart would be Orthodox Judaism, which goes from stranger to parenthood on much the same timetable (and is, quite honestly, where I believe many of the cues are being taken - again, Fundies are good at copying, not creating new things).

• Love 1

The absolutely only person on earth whose fingers I would lick would be my husband's. I have never, ever, licked my son's fingers, nor any other human being on earth, not a cousin, uncle, sibling, parent...PERIOD. If Jill has licked her buddies fingers, then that family is incestuous IMO, because that definitely was a sexual act from what I could tell. That's why I commented earlier here that I think Jill is a croc with her modesty stuff, save everything for marriage and being so A-1 of a fundy daughter. She truly is a hot pot waiting to boil and has been simmering all this time. I bet dollars to doughnuts she had the hardest time not jumping his bones at that airport in Nepal. Finger licking someone else's fingers is foreplay. I agree with you mimionthebeach.

• Love 5

I don't know why anyone would think the Duggar children not to have typical sexual drives of anyone their age. And just because the older generations don't talk about sex in a healthy manner doesn't mean it's not discussed as nauseum among the younger set, and real information isn't exchanged! :)

Edited by GEML
  • Love 2

I've never been fundie, but from my understanding it's pretty much unthinkable. A lot of conservative religions will say that divorce is O.K. for adultery or abuse (though even then they encourage reconciliation), but you will be treated differently going forward because you are a "tainted" divorced person. My experience: I was the secretary at a Southern Baptist church when my first husband ran off with another woman. There were people in the church who actually approached the pastor and asked when I would be fired (even though they knew I was now raising my son on my own) because I was now divorced, and they did not feel I should hold a visible role in the church (needless to say, I am no longer a Baptist, but still a Christian). So I have to imagine that fundie churches are much, much worse than that.

Those people should be ashamed of themselves. Kudos to you for being able to separate that one church from all of Christianity. It takes a strong woman to walk away from A church, instead of walking away from THE church. God bless you.

• Love 2

I don't know why anyone would think the Duggar children not to have typical sexual drives of anyone their age. And just because the older generations don't talk about sex in a healthy manner doesn't mean it's not discussed as nauseum among the younger set, and real information isn't exchanged! :)

That totally makes sense to me...No matter how many cameras/chaperones/accountability partners are involved, in a house/property of that size filled with that many people there are bound to be moments and places where one person's true feelings come to the surface within hearing distance of someone with similar frustrations, etc, and with some kind of privacy involved. Now, I don't know that much about their personalities. I'm one who shares easily, but my kids, with the slight exception of the youngest, totally take after my husband and are maddeningly private...but, again, just based on the fact that we are talking about 19 individuals here leads me to expect that at least some proportion would glom onto the feeling that there was something akin to a refuge where, just maybe, they might be able to come to the realization that personal feeling (even those pesky sexual ones) are actually normal and can even be used for some useful introspection on the various paths life can take.

• Love 1

One of the biggest things I find surprising is that Jim Bob and Michelle completely think they are in control of the NINETEEN children and America seems to buy it, hook, line and sinker. Ask yourself if any other parent claimed that they were this much in control of their children's lives if you'd believe it, or if you'd think they were deluded. How many parents have computers in the living room and parental controls on them and the kids STILL find away them, etc.

It's no different here. People are people.

• Love 2

This episode is playing again and as much as i hate to admit it, JB comes across as much more sincere than Mullet. Watching him holding "precious" and the way she lays her head down on his shoulder was actually pretty touching. I have never seen their mother affectionate with any of them. Ever. She is all about mouthing the platitudes. He also seemed genuinely concerned about Derrickdillard's Mom, whereas his idiotic wife just stared up at him with her eyes and mouth wide open like a baby bird waiting for a worm.

• Love 6

I don't know why JB is so cheap. You don't have to spend a ton of a good wedding, but it shouldn't look like u don't care about your daughters getting married

I think Boob is mega-cheap because he is an extremist in everything. He can't seem to do ANYTHING on a moderate basis. If A is good, tons of A must be even better! He lacks the capability to weigh variables and make considered judgments after examining multiple angles of an issue or problem. I seriously believe this tactic is easier for him because he just doesn't have to think all that much about a given topic. I also personally believe - despite his whole wheeler-dealer persona - that he's been much luckier than he's been smart.

• Love 8

At least arranged marriages is kind of marriage that is being agreed and planned by both guardians and families of the couples. couples who are engaged in arrange marriage can file divorce when the time comes in that they are not comfortable with each other. Even regular courtships aren't extreme like fundie courtships

I think Boob is mega-cheap because he is an extremist in everything. He can't seem to do ANYTHING on a moderate basis. If A is good, tons of A must be even better! He lacks the capability to weigh variables and make considered judgments after examining multiple angles of an issue or problem. I seriously believe this tactic is easier for him because he just doesn't have to think all that much about a given topic. I also personally believe - despite his whole wheeler-dealer persona - that he's been much luckier than he's been smart.

Good insight. Things like the cell phone tower and the real estate market are good examples. Yes, he is smart about buying properties for next to nothing and fixing them up, but he is lucky to have come of age during a time of loose lending standards and the lowest interest rates in 50 years.

• Love 3

watching the episode again ( I apologize if I mention things are all ready mentioned.):

Sierra the wedding planner has a Spanish looking last name. I would love to see a Duggar marry a Latino. Maybe she has some in-laws to introduce to the Duggar singles.

Their church didn't look any particular religion just built after 1970. I've been to churches like that.

I forgot the Jim-Bob had to say "you may now kiss the bride." I  understand why Jessa didn't kiss at the altar. Jim bob completely had to control the kiss and he likes being in control. As bad as Mechelle's nothingness (in what she says) is, Jim Bob's controlling behavior in my opinion.

I actually thought it was classy of Michelle to ask Derrick to pray for his mom. I wish the Duggars had acknowledged the loss of his father more.

The engagement song gets worse the more I hear it.

I like Jana, but I think she talked too much during the parts where they're talking to the camera. They could have shown Amy or other members of the family talking more. 

There were times when I couldn't tell if they were chaperoned the day of the wedding, but then I heard Jim Bob ask who was chaperoning the call to Derrick's mom.  What a jerk.

That was a really passive aggressive compliment from boob to Michelle "Well that's modest dress if ever I saw one." 

Jackson on passing notes  "Make a kid run ten miles through that church." I doubt it was ten miles. That homeschooling is working well. 

Does one of the Duggars wear glasses or is that groomsman one of Derrick's friends? 

I finally saw the Amy and Deanna moment. It was cute.

I wish there more footage of the wedding without so much of the people talking against the school picture backgrounds!

I think the jackets on the men's suits looked so long three buttons would have been better. 

Is it just me or were Josh's and Anna's vows more conservative?

Ben just said "he's looking forward to when they say you may now kiss the bride." 

I went to a wedding where they was as much talk of babies as this wedding, and I found it as tacky and sad then as now. 

The balloons in the truck were in bad taste. I didn't remember that. 

Edited by Temperance

When they were saying their vows, it sounded like the crowd were saying something in response. At first it sounded like they were bursting out laughing or there was a commotion. I didn't bother to rewind and turn up the volume, but I haven't gotten a chance to rewatch it either. Does anyone know what that was about or what they were saying? Or was I hearing things?

Temperance mentioned Josh & Anna's vows, and that reminded me of the one thing I hated:

That minister did a terrible job of those vows. He stumbled and stuttered and seemed to forget & had to stop himself.

Oh, and I seem to be the only one who likes the engagement song. Not enough to buy it, though.

• Love 1
I actually thought it was classy of Michelle to ask Derrick to pray for his mom. I wish the Duggars had acknowledged the loss of his father more.

Interesting take - my own mother took it as Michelle implying that only The Holy Dairy Queen would think of something like praying for his ailing mother, and Derick wouldn't have thought of it himself because he's just not as Godly as Michelle, dammit.

I personally took it as another look at me moment for Michelle - aren't I wonderful, remembering his poor sick mother?? - but maybe she was just trying to be nice. 

Josie's nickname is Kitten

I think that's just Michelle's generic nickname for newborns, because she called Jordyn that too when she was born.  Unless it was Jordyn's nickname that she decided to repurpose for Josie.  I don't recall ever hearing Jordyn called anything else as a nickname - though I guess "Jordyn" counts since her legal name is "Jordyn-Grace."  They kind of phoned it in with Justin on down; their nicknames are all just diminutive versions of their given names (Juddy, Jack - not sure if they actually call him that, but he was signing books as "Jack" for a while recently - Hannie, Jenni). 

I really hate that I know this off the top of my head.  There's so much useful information I've no doubt lost forever because it was replaced with Duggar factoids.

Edited by WTFFF
  • Love 2

I agree. JB got lucky. He's not that smart that he had his while family living in poverty while he spent 200k on an election

• Love 3

Interesting take - my own mother took it as Michelle implying that only The Holy Dairy Queen would think of something like praying for his ailing mother, and Derick wouldn't have thought of it himself because he's just not as Godly as Michelle, dammit.

I personally took it as another look at me moment for Michelle - aren't I wonderful, remembering his poor sick mother?? - but maybe she was just trying to be nice. 

I could see how it could be taken that way. I personally while watching the episode didn't think Michelle sounded smug and she sounds smug a lot. I thought she sounded upset. For me, the Duggars are so Duggarcentric that for Michelle to even remember that Derrick had a mother who was ailing was a big moment for her, where she got out of her own little world. I think in conservative public prayers are really common and even people mildly religious would think of public prayer under the circumstances, I didn't see it as a brilliant idea. Also Derrick may have been thinking about, but might not have been sure if he should share his feelings. I thought it was an invitation for Derrick to open up and about as with it as I've ever seen Michelle. 

• Love 2

I could see how it could be taken that way. I personally while watching the episode didn't think Michelle sounded smug and she sounds smug a lot. I thought she sounded upset. For me, the Duggars are so Duggarcentric that for Michelle to even remember that Derrick had a mother who was ailing was a big moment for her, where she got out of her own little world. I think in conservative public prayers are really common and even people mildly religious would think of public prayer under the circumstances, I didn't see it as a brilliant idea. Also Derrick may have been thinking about, but might not have been sure if he should share his feelings. I thought it was an invitation for Derrick to open up and about as with it as I've ever seen Michelle. 

Yes, this. I've been around a lot of personality disordered Christians and a lot of very loving Christians, and I will say that if there is one area where they genuinely do function, it's prayer.  It's sincere for both of them, if for different reasons.  For sincere Christians, it's obvious - you want to pray to your God for things that you need and to offer praise and thanks.  It's not terribly complicated.  But for those with some sort of borderline issue, it's far more complicated, but no less sincere.  They really do believe that God is the only person in the universe who is equal to them.  I know that sounds really awful, but I'm actually trying to say it in a kind way.  It's literally the few minutes of their lives where they aren't smug, because it's the one time they aren't the highest authority.  They may not be lower than God, but they aren't higher either.

Also, prayer is the main way these folks share information among themselves.  They've been doing this for hundreds of years.  And the speed at which they can do it would put a FB page to shame.  It's their way of knowing everything about everyone's life -- and, yes, that can be used as control mechanism, but it's also, when you're isolated into units the way the Duggars are, a lifeline to a world that takes place outside your own.  The Duggars need prayer the same way people like us need to check our phones for texts and FB posts, or how people before us had to look for e-mails, or letters, or answer the phone - or any other form of mass communication.

• Love 3

Why couldn't one of the Dillards run the rehearsal dinner in Cathy's place? It just wasn't Michelle and Jim Bob's place to dictate what was or wasn't done, right or wrong. This was a Dillard event and a Dillard should have acted as host/hostess.

• Love 1

I'm watching a rerun of Michael's first birthday with the awful cake. Don't know if it has been mentioned, but Sierra, the wedding coordinator is the same person tgat shows up to fix the cake. It's funny that she was also pregnant in that episode.

Why couldn't one of the Dillards run the rehearsal dinner in Cathy's place? It just wasn't Michelle and Jim Bob's place to dictate what was or wasn't done, right or wrong. This was a Dillard event and a Dillard should have acted as host/hostess.

If my son ever marries and fails to elope like I have suggested then there is no one to "run the rehearsal dinner". Everyone is gone except me and I have MS. I would be thankful for any help from the Bride's side. Otherwise, I am a proponent of eloping with me as a witness. LOL.

Sometimes there isn't anyone to do these things. Derrick's father died, his mom is sick, his brother is young and just who would do it? I thought it was awesome what they did.

• Love 5

Maybe, just maybe Cathy asked them too. We don't know, because we were not there.  I thought it was nice for them to step in.  The Dillard's did not seem upset by them acting as host/hostess at all.

• Love 4

My mother-in-law was a very introverted person, and my father-in-law died when my husband was a young child.  While she was very accommodating with our rehearsal dinner (which, actually, looked a lot like the Duggars - more like Josh and Anna's than Jill's) she was very happy to have my family "run" it as she was not comfortable with public speaking or public prayer, or anything of the like.

And she was perfectly healthy and a strong personality -- just not her thing.

(We had the sort of rehearsal dinner that we did because my mother-in-law was of extremely limited means, and we needed to feed about 50 people, and the informal, church setting meant we could do it on a shoe-string budget.  She was quite delighted with the way the whole thing turned out, and how respectful we were with her finances, but she wasn't the type who would have enjoyed planning and executing a party of any kind.)

Edited by GEML
  • Love 2

Jill's wedding is on and they're showing bonus scenes. They showed an extra clip of Jill & Derick opening the littles pottery gifts. The most interesting is that Dan was missing just a few hours before the wedding. He showed up & mumbled something about where he was but neither he or Derick said where he was on camera. I'm speculating it wasn't fundie standards LOL!

Just one question: Why am I watching this enhanced episode?

I was asking myself that same question. I was doing things in another room for part of it but was listening. I was wondering why they cut out the part when Michelle was telling the girls how to stand at the altar. Then I realized it was a Bonus Scene episode so they had to make room for the "unseen footage." I actually liked them opening the pottery gifts. Why didn't they show this originally in place of one of Boob's TH's telling us he was going to miss Jilly Muffin? I'm sure King Boob had a big part in the editing process.
  • Love 2

Jill's wedding is on and they're showing bonus scenes. They showed an extra clip of Jill & Derick opening the littles pottery gifts. The most interesting is that Dan was missing just a few hours before the wedding. He showed up & mumbled something about where he was but neither he or Derick said where he was on camera. I'm speculating it wasn't fundie standards LOL!

I heard one of the howlers say something about Derrick being lonely the night before the wedding at Stoney Brook.

I don't think anyone mentioned this the first time around but Michelle is excited bc Jill gets to keep her same last letter initial. Who gives a shit about something like that??

I'm thinking someone who names all of their kids with the same first initial might care. I agree with you though. I thought it was odd when she said that.

I think Michelle and Boob were just the logical choice to host the dinner in Cathy's absence. Love them or hate them, they're used to public speaking and being up in front of large crowds. I think Dan wouldn't have been comfortable in that role, and I'm not sure how well Derick's extended family knew the other guests there. 

• Love 3

I actually would have liked to have seen Jill opening the pottery gifts. Jill is tremendous with her younger sisters and that's always a pleasure to watch.

Mother forgot to have Josie sign the card.  Whooops.

I was asking myself that same question. I was doing things in another room for part of it but was listening. I was wondering why they cut out the part when Michelle was telling the girls how to stand at the altar. Then I realized it was a Bonus Scene episode so they had to make room for the "unseen footage." I actually liked them opening the pottery gifts. Why didn't they show this originally in place of one of Boob's TH's telling us he was going to miss Jilly Muffin? I'm sure King Boob had a big part in the editing process.

In one of the popups it said Jim Bob was late to the church because he was looking (searching?) for Jackson, who was already at the church.  I was like whaaaat???

I like the "missing Dan" clip. It may be the big mystery of the wedding -- "Why was Dan late & where was he?" I think Derick asked Dan whose house he stayed at but couldn't understand any more of their conversation. I was trying to record another program so I can't rewind to check it .

I liked how the pop up said that Cathy's boss footed the bill for the ice cream for the floats. So we can subtract that amount from Boob's grand total.

I just realized something about the First look. Jill kept leaning her face against Derick's jacket. I hope that she didn't rub any makeup on it. A simple kiss would have been better.

Just watched bits and pieces of Jill's wedding.  I just can't sit through the whole 2 hours at one shot, but since TLC is showing it every other day now, I may eventually see it all.  Thank goodness I just bought a very large bag of styrofoam cups.

Everything was like, you know, like precious and surreal. 

Just looking at Josh nauseates me.  And poor dumb Ben.  He was in the back of the line when they were handing out brains, wasn't he?

• Love 2

I'll post this here and on Jill's Wedding episode too.

I discovered an ez photography logo on one of the "Life is not all Pickles and Hairspray" photos of Jill wedding. The photographer not from Arkanas as expected but Indiana and she has some pixs from the wedding that I don't think have been posted before:

https://www.facebook.com/elizabethzellonphotography

It seems she did some work on Priscilla and David's wedding and makes note of going to Jessa's too.

I heard Dan mumble something about staying at their mom's house. Derick said he was hoping his brother would have come over to his (JB's) Stoneybrook house so I guess he was already living there before he got married. 

Anyway I was only half-paying attention at first because I didn't realize tonight was a special "recount" episode but in one of the bonus scenes did Michelle seriously read the EXACT SAME LETTER that she read to Jill at the bridal shop during her daughter's rehearsal dinner? Michelle couldn't think of anything new to say on the last night before her "sweet Jilly Muffin" became a married woman? That really irked me. Jim Bob shared a personal story about Jill from her childhood when it came time for him to speak at the rehearsal dinner. Michelle took out her phone and re-read a prewritten letter that I don't think she even wrote. I think Jill even had the same uncomfortable look on her face while her mom was talking as she did back at the bridal shop. Poor Jill. 

• Love 2

Dan was probably sleeping off his "my brother is marrying into a freak show" hangover.  He just gets better and better! 

On the rewatch I can't help but notice how Dan and Derick's friends have this expression of "God can we get this over with so we can get the eff out of here and hit the bar" look on their faces. 

• Love 2

My maiden name begins w/the same letter as my married name.

My mother also thought it was cute and joked abt not having to change the monogrammed towels (we were 21. Didn't get those till we were 40). Of course, if I used my maiden name as my middle initial, like some women do, I'd be an ASS.

I didn't think the remark was that big a deal for Michelle to mention.

• Love 1

My maiden name begins w/the same letter as my married name.

My mother also thought it was cute and joked abt not having to change the monogrammed towels (we were 21. Didn't get those till we were 40). Of course, if I used my maiden name as my middle initial, like some women do, I'd be an ASS.

I didn't think the remark was that big a deal for Michelle to mention.

I didn't either. When my best friend got married her initials stayed the same and she was thrilled about it. Leading up to the wedding many friends and family remarked about the initials, so I think it is a pretty normal thing to mention.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1

Mother forgot to have Josie sign the card.  Whooops.

In one of the popups it said Jim Bob was late to the church because he was looking (searching?) for Jackson, who was already at the church.  I was like whaaaat???

Well when you've got 100 kids I'm sure it's easy to forget one or two here and there. (yes I'm being sarcastic - I don't know how they even keep tabs on 19 of them!)

• Love 1

WHERE DO I START?
Granted, if I, anyone, had their wedding on TV.. 2 hours worth.. anyone could find something to pick on....
BUT-

I thought the 'wedding' WAS more the JIMBOB show then Jill's wedding...

I suspect that he was right in the editing room(MUST have editing rights so none of his women's modesty is compromised.. etc..)because he seemed to be in as  many scenes as JILL!! (FORGET ABOUT MICHELLE! On the editing room floor!).. That or whoever does the editing thinks (?) JimBob is a regular COMEDIAN!! Alas, JimBob is NOT FUNNY!! (BUT, no one in his family would surely dare tell him!!)

He is also coming across MORE AND MORE CREEPY!! Jill-I am walking down the aisle barefoot-JB-well,you know the saying -barefoot AND .. jILL-yeah(blushing).. and Jimbob saying to her -after the 'i dos' you and Derick are going to be permanently LIPLOCKED!! There were others, a lot of others.. this 'Man' thinks /talks about sex and his DAUGHTERS much, MUCH, MUCH too much!!! Also, the CRAP with 'DO YOU HAVE A PROPER CHAPERONE?' to both of them.. about 3 hours before their wedding-when they were doing their 'devotions' -bible readings and prayers, and calling his mother!! A chaperone? They were getting MARRIED in a few hours .. they were in CHURCH!! JB IS A FRIGGING PIG!!!

I also found it weird him 'sneaking' up to the alter-cause I am BETTING jill did not know-and saying -'You may now kiss your bride'! I had this WILD flash  going in my mind-JB , their wedding night, and JB shooting to Derick-'You may NOW **** my daughter'.. then  Michelle and Jimbob.. in the hotel with them.. 'Now Jill, this is the way a DUGGAR does it... Not sure how a DILLARD does it but!!'

Probably why JESSA refused to kiss at the alter!!

I also found it beyond IMMATURE for BEN to not let JESSA go back down the aisle with her groomsman.. Josh then did the same thing!! jealous IDIOTS!! AND JESSA giggles-like -my man is jealous! No-you are BOTH too immature to MARRY-but, you did this past weekend...

• Love 5

Temperance mentioned Josh & Anna's vows, and that reminded me of the one thing I hated:

That minister did a terrible job of those vows. He stumbled and stuttered and seemed to forget & had to stop himself.

Oh, and I seem to be the only one who likes the engagement song. Not enough to buy it, though.

I like it, too!  Thought the song was really cute and clever, but Derrick didn't "co-write" it, and I wondered why all of a sudden he seemed to be taking credit for that.  Telling the writer how many miles there are between Arkansas to Katmandu doesn't count, I don't think!  Only, in order to rhyme, the lyric should've been "I hope that you will SEE," not "think," but no one asked me.  Perhaps they thought that would sound too presumptuous before Jill said, "Yes, totally!"

And if there was a commotion during the vow exchange, I would suspect the urchins sitting front and center on the altar.  Actually, I thought 'Kynzie acted out worse than Josie?  Guess she's becoming somewhat feral out there in the wilds of Alexandria, VA, being cooped up in that house with just her mother and brothers for company all day!

Anyway, enough of Jill and Derrick for a while!  Like, yeah.

• Love 1

In an earlier broadcast of this great composition, Jill said that she had no idea the song was about them. It was after Derick told her then she said "Oh yeah". It's because IMO, they aren't allowed to listen to music like that and it's the first time EVER that she has listened to a ballad-type contemporary pop song. She really is clueless about such things as contemporary music, etc...

If it were Jill and Jana walking down the street at that park and that cute guy said "hey listen to my song", they would have had to decline because they wouldn't be allowed to hear it. It's not classical, or hymns, which is what the Duggars have said over and over that that's the only kind of music they listen to or allow their kids to hear...then they conveniently added bluegrass to the list when Lawson Bates had a CD come out recently. Nothing like helping out a friend.

• Love 1

Personally, I cannot listen to that song one more time. Not one more time!!!!

And I also thought Kynzie rolled around more than Josie. But that's just how those girls in MARYLAND act (says the mother from Virginia!) ;)

• Love 1