Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We had a big fluffy tuxy boy who, I swear to god, his whole life, smelled like baby powder.

I had a big ol' black boy cat who smelled like flowers.  😄

• Love 5

Here's a new one (for me, at least). A couple of days ago, I was opening a can of cat food for the furbabies (as you do) and had trouble getting the pop-top to come off. It finally came loose with a jerk. First, it splattered cat food juice on my shirt. Then, it slipped out of my juice-covered fingers and rolled--on its side--across the bar. I grabbed for it, but missed, so it went over the edge on the far side into the den (the only room with carpet, wouldn't you know). I went into the den, hindered by two cats who were under my feet wondering why they could smell their dinner but it hadn't been served yet, and found the can upside down on the floor. Luckily, it was pate and hadn't spilled. I carefully scraped off the top layer of food and the girls finally got their meal. They didn't seem to find any difference in the quality. 

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

A little late, I know. I dressed one of our work kitties up for Halloween. Thought you all would enjoy!

8A2BAE60-48EA-42DF-B64F-3C40AB8DAC24.jpeg

BA3CD6BE-D42D-4DA6-9A9B-8817F91D6518.jpeg

9E959BB1-312C-463D-90E8-18632F4FAE35.jpeg

6B38C981-F178-4FF1-8A77-E1B0BF6F6FF1.jpeg

The expression on her face...let's just say, she is wishing very bad things for you!

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

A little late, I know. I dressed one of our work kitties up for Halloween. Thought you all would enjoy!

8A2BAE60-48EA-42DF-B64F-3C40AB8DAC24.jpeg

BA3CD6BE-D42D-4DA6-9A9B-8817F91D6518.jpeg

9E959BB1-312C-463D-90E8-18632F4FAE35.jpeg

6B38C981-F178-4FF1-8A77-E1B0BF6F6FF1.jpeg

“Because I sure as fluff ain’t, lady.”

And also "I know where you keep your tote bag."

Edited by SoMuchTV
additional menacing cat thought
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2

That's what my friend does with her cat treats, keep them in the microwave.  (I'd advise against the oven, in case you'd ever forgot they're in there and turned it on to pre-heat; the microwave you'll never turn on without first opening the door and remembering, oh, yeah, I put the treats in here.)  Her cabinet doors don't latch, so she had to put the treat bag in something with a door the cat can't open.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I guess Cosmo’s jerky treats have to go in the fridge. The cats did this last night. I know it was THEM because Cosmo was in the bedroom with me and the teeth marks are tiny. 

003EEE1A-4826-488E-B493-8DC1295E528D.jpeg

I’m almost positive “human grade” doesn’t mean what my brain keeps telling me it does. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's what my friend does with her cat treats, keep them in the microwave.  (I'd advise against the oven, in case you ever forgot they were in there and pre-heated it; the microwave you'll never turn on without first opening the door.)  Her cabinet doors don't latch, so she had to put the treat bag in something with a door the cat can't open.

We have louvered bifold doors like this going into our laundry room. Elizabeth is constantly pulling it off it's track trying to get back there. We really need to put a latch on it.

image.png.3eb006d67ef8ca10605e5c4c2c8257a3.png

• Love 4

Two apartments ago, I had to put hook-and-eye latches on my lower cabinets because my late cat would open them just enough for them to slam back shut, over and over. She also chewed/slowly tore any paper I left laying around. Cats are so dramatic.

• LOL 9
3 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Two apartments ago, I had to put hook-and-eye latches on my lower cabinets because my late cat would open them just enough for them to slam back shut, over and over. She also chewed/slowly tore any paper I left laying around. Cats are so dramatic.

Elizabeth does the door banging too. Especially if my husband goes to bed without playing her favorite bed time game.

• LOL 7
4 hours ago, Anela said:

My dog Two is dying. I can't do this anymore. This is how Walt went. We put him down, when the vet told us his body was shutting down. 

I am so sorry. You gave Two a wonderful life. Be gentle with yourself. 

• Sad 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Anela said:

My dog Two is dying. I can't do this anymore. This is how Walt went. We put him down, when the vet told us his body was shutting down. 

Sorry to hear about Dog Two. My condolences. Purrs and hugs from the MT family. 

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

Just got a Facebook memory from November 11, 2011, which apparently was one of the days when the terrier broke out of the back yard and Danny the Labrador Retriever (best pet ever) followed him on an adventure...

Nice lady at the pound telling me about my dogs when I was bailing them out: "He (Danny) was VERY hungry!"

Me: "No, no, he always eats like that. Did he try to eat the other guy's food too?"

Her: "YES!"

All food, and anything food adjacent for that matter, didn't last very long around that dog. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Just got a Facebook memory from November 11, 2011, which apparently was one of the days when the terrier broke out of the back yard and Danny the Labrador Retriever (best pet ever) followed him on an adventure...

All food, and anything food adjacent for that matter, didn't last very long around that dog. 

That's like Elizabeth. Nathan is old and skinny so I feed him a lot. She follows him around like a shadow in the hopes he'll leave a few scraps for her. She's a big cat and as Maine C**** go, she's still growing but anybody would think we starve her.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, beckie said:

My cats got neutered this week and they are acting so traumatized. Is that normal? Even though I know it was the right thing to do, I feel like the world's worst cat mama.

Totally normal.  For dogs, too.  Many years ago, a friend of mine took his dog in his truck to get neutered.  The dog was so excited to go for a ride in the truck!  After the surgery, the dog would not get in the truck again for months.

• Sad 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Totally normal.  For dogs, too.  Many years ago, a friend of mine took his dog in his truck to get neutered.  The dog was so excited to go for a ride in the truck!  After the surgery, the dog would not get in the truck again for months.

"Nope, not going in dere.  Dat fing makes my bawls hurt Dad."

• Sad 1
  • LOL 3
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

That's a relief. I thought I'd done the worst thing to them. They are daily getting back to normal.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Every vet visit, my cats avoid the cat carrier like the plague. For months. Their brains may be small but their memory works well. 

Whenever one of our cats has to go to the vet, the other cat sniffs them when the come home and then they hiss at them and avoid them for the rest of the day.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, beckie said:

That's a relief. I thought I'd done the worst thing to them. They are daily getting back to normal.

My sister had her new cat (five months old) spayed two Thursdays ago, and it took her (the cat) several days to get "back to normal". A spaying is far more intrusive than a neutering, but both are surgeries that require anesthesia. Some cats sail through surgeries, like my late female cat, but others just need more time—just like people.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Whenever one of our cats has to go to the vet, the other cat sniffs them when the come home and then they hiss at them and avoid them for the rest of the day.

My goofy girls go to the vet together and still hiss at each other. My vet's trick is to put a tiny bit of non-alcoholic vanilla extract on them to make them smell "the same" once we're home. I put one drop on my finger and thumb per cat and rub my fingers together until it's almost dry. I then give them both a thorough rubdown.😂 It usually takes another rubdown a few hours later, but it really works.

• Useful 7

Even though neutering is a minor surgery, it's still surgery -- it's a trip to the vet, it's waiting around, it's general anesthesia, it's waking up confused, and it's being a little sore (and maybe stuck in a cone of shame) afterward.  As said, it's just like people; some will be more affected than others (especially because, unlike people, cats don't know what happened and why).

The surgery increases their health and safety and ensures they won't contribute to the overwhelming homeless cat overpopulation crisis.  Well worth it for a recovery period they'll never even remember in the long term.  They'll get through this just fine and so will you. 

• Love 8

He's gone. <3 But I wanted to post a couple of happy pictures of him. He loved looking out of the window, and I felt bad that he could no longer get up to look outside. I should have nagged my dad into letting me bring my old bed down here, and got a plastic sheet to protect the mattress, since the living room has been my bedroom anyway. 

wqbXmQT.jpg

fK46bUX.jpg

vTNKIdj.jpg

I'm going to have yet another meltdown now. <3 Even though we were both with him, I'm still having trouble believing that it happened. 

Edited by Anela
  • Hugs 22
  • Sad 7
1 hour ago, Anela said:

He's gone. <3 But I wanted to post a couple of happy pictures of him. He loved looking out of the window, and I felt bad that he could no longer get up to look outside. I should have nagged my dad into letting me bring my old bed down here, and got a plastic sheet to protect the mattress, since the living room has been my bedroom anyway. 

wqbXmQT.jpg

fK46bUX.jpg

vTNKIdj.jpg

I'm going to have yet another meltdown now. <3 Even though we were both with him, I'm still having trouble believing that it happened. 

Oh...this made me teary-eyed. What a sweet dog. You were all fortunate to have each other (that's the way I look at it). 🌺

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Anela said:

wqbXmQT.jpg

fK46bUX.jpg

vTNKIdj.jpg

Really sorry.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, Anela said:

He's gone. <3 But I wanted to post a couple of happy pictures of him.

Thank you for sharing those happy photos of him looking out the window, and I'm sorry he's no longer with you (physically, at least; he's in your heart forever, but it's not the same).  The loss of a pet is gut wrenching, and my heart goes out to you.

• Love 9
On 11/12/2022 at 9:41 PM, Anela said:

wqbXmQT.jpg

fK46bUX.jpg

vTNKIdj.jpg

I'm so sorry, @anela. We're never ready for them to go. He was a beautiful boy.

• Love 8

OK in the frame of moving on from loss, as many of you are aware I brought a kitten into my life in June. At 7, almost 8 months old I would describe her more as a young cat than a kitten ie not small, but full of energy.

I would like to get her a cat tree for Christmas. She loves to climb/jump up (hence there will be no Christmas tree in the house this year, and not sure about a poinsettia since it seems she has declared a war on all plants) and I want something with at least one scratching post feature and a place for her to relax/sleep and just watch the wintry back yard with the birds, squirrels and raccoons. It needs to be sturdy and I am thinking at least 4 feet high.

So, I am looking for recommendations from the wise cat owners here 😀

• Love 1
5 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

So, I am looking for recommendations from the wise cat owners here 😀

Couldn't find the one we have, which to me was ideal, but this is the most like it.  Yes, the sturdy ones are pricey.  We bought ours locally, assembled, probably 15 yrs ago, which is preferable to having to put it together of course.  

real-carpet-wooden-cat-tree

Things to look for - 

• Large enough perches for a fully grown cat. (So many of these seem to be made for kittens) If the photos show only kittens, that's a clue.
  • Tall enough scratching pole (Many are too short to allow the cat to stretch, which is a big part of the purpose of these)
  • For me, a curved perch is preferable to flat.  Allows the cat to be cradled, which they like.
  • Consider buying one that is cat-colored if available.  The carpet will obviously become covered in cat hair, which isn't always easy to clean off, especially the perches where they will spend the most time.

We have a couple of the sisal-covered scratching posts in addition to the cat tree, as the sisal does eventually wear, becoming less desirable/effective.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

This is the tree I first bought for my girls. It's pricey at $140 (I don't remember paying as much as it is now), but it came fully assembled and was very sturdy, which is vital because my 10-pound cats chase each other and jump onto the tree at a high speed.😹 They both fit curled up together on the top level.

In my last apartment, I had it against a balcony door so the girls could look outside. When I moved, I put it in the corner of the living room in front of the window. It lasted about four years until they had scratched the carpet on the top edge down to the wood. The next one I bought lasted less than a year.

They would also stretch to scratch on the sisal-wrapped post that you see on the right, below.

B071YMCR4D__23832.1575319981.jpg

And here are some pictures of it in use!🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛

IMG_20180816_155223_copy_1008x756.thumb.jpg.765712ed3012a2aaa612c1a56948205a.jpg

IMG_20180421_132438_copy_629x839.jpg.149cd972c73d99de2546d9c3d6abdc69.jpg

IMG_20180920_155922_copy_1008x756.thumb.jpg.96da60be863685813e5762ba68e006a4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 16