Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

and not sure about a poinsettia since it seems she has declared a war on all plants) and I want

Poinsettias are not very toxic to cats, but the milky white sap found in poinsettias contains chemicals called diterpenoid euphorbol esters and saponin-like detergents. If ingested, these substances will cause digestive upset, such as vomiting, drooling, or rarely, diarrhea may be seen. If the milky sap is exposed to skin, dermal irritation (including redness, swelling, and itchiness) may develop. Rarely, eye exposure can result in mild conjunctivitis (“pink eye” secondary to inflammation). Signs are self-limiting and don’t require medical treatment unless severe.

• Useful 1
Spoiler

Just wanted to give an update on my cats. They are doing just fine now and are back to themselves. 

Thanks for letting me know that the way they were acting after being neutered was to be expected.

What's the easiest way to share pictures?

(Got the spoiler box by accident. Not sure how to remove it.)

Edited by beckie
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, Silent Scream said:

Dude’s got a ‘tude!  Love it.

Yah he does. I managed to get a picture of him actually looking at the camera. Usually he sees it and looks away, so I have a lot of him sleeping. Needless to say, he wasn't happy I got this one! 

Edited by beckie
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 11/18/2022 at 1:31 AM, luv2lurk said:

OK in the frame of moving on from loss, as many of you are aware I brought a kitten into my life in June. At 7, almost 8 months old I would describe her more as a young cat than a kitten ie not small, but full of energy.

I would like to get her a cat tree for Christmas. She loves to climb/jump up (hence there will be no Christmas tree in the house this year, and not sure about a poinsettia since it seems she has declared a war on all plants) and I want something with at least one scratching post feature and a place for her to relax/sleep and just watch the wintry back yard with the birds, squirrels and raccoons. It needs to be sturdy and I am thinking at least 4 feet high.

So, I am looking for recommendations from the wise cat owners here 😀

Hi, poinsettias are toxic to cats, so I wouldnt have one in the house.

I purchased this one for Cavendish and Lady Reese when I adopted them at the beginning of the year. They love it! (they went crazy while I was on vacation and chewed the blue ray player cord AND the fire stick cord for the first time ever, but I have evidence that they use the cat tree!).

It was not hard to put together but it did take a while. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 11/12/2022 at 8:41 PM, Anela said:

He's gone. <3 But I wanted to post a couple of happy pictures of him. He loved looking out of the window, and I felt bad that he could no longer get up to look outside. I should have nagged my dad into letting me bring my old bed down here, and got a plastic sheet to protect the mattress, since the living room has been my bedroom anyway. 

wqbXmQT.jpg

fK46bUX.jpg

vTNKIdj.jpg

I'm going to have yet another meltdown now. <3 Even though we were both with him, I'm still having trouble believing that it happened. 

I’m so sorry. You gave him a wonderful life. We never forget them, but may the pain be a little easier today. 

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think they can have a little white meat. Nothing with bones. 

I give Cosmo the ends of the veggies (like broccoli stalks or carrots). It’s good for him and it won’t go to waste. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Can cats/dogs eat turkey ? Or any of the sides ?

I feed my cats raw and some brands have a turkey option. My cats like it. I don't know about cooked turkey, though. As far as I know, any cooked meat you feed your cats shouldn't be broiled or fried, only boiled. And definitely no skin. Never feed cooked bones of any kind to cats. They can get seriously injured.

This is a good video explaining what human food is somewhat safe for cats. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I had a cat Jessica, who would, and I'm not exaggerating, sit in front of the oven and cry for turkey while it was cooking.  I made a point of not overfeeding her with it, but she would eat as much as I was willing to give.  It's a favorite Thanksgiving memory in our house.  

Much like this, -pizza +turkey:

image.png.085265d413e72e535d178c7ddef97dc1.png

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I had a cat Jessica, who would, and I'm not exaggerating, sit in front of the oven and cry for turkey while it was cooking.  I made a point of not overfeeding her with it, but she would eat as much as I was willing to give.  It's a favorite Thanksgiving memory in our house.  

Much like this, -pizza +turkey:

image.png.085265d413e72e535d178c7ddef97dc1.png

Elizabeth goes insane for pumpkin. When we carve the jack o lantern she's eating bits of pumpkin as fast as we can carve. Now, we have a pumpkin pie in the fridge and we have to be very careful when we open the door or she'll dive in and try to grab the pie. Nathan is crazy about avocados. It's weird what they fixate on.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 6
16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Elizabeth goes insane for pumpkin. When we carve the jack o lantern she's eating bits of pumpkin as fast as we can carve. Now, we have a pumpkin pie in the fridge and we have to be very careful when we open the door or she'll dive in and try to grab the pie. Nathan is crazy about avocados. It's weird what they fixate on.

Cosmo likes Ethiopian (the vegetarian dishes). When he first came to live with me he ATE an entire bowl of my leftovers (I hadn’t realized dogs eat everything and didn’t think he would be interested). He would legit try to climb on the counter to get them. It’s fascinating. 

• Like 6

The first present of the holiday season was wrapped this evening to be shipped out to my friend in Taiwan.

Well I learned that Cavendish and Lady Reese are VERY intrigued by wrapping paper, and presents, and the scissors. This is their first Christmas with me so it’s kinda fun to learn new things about them!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
20 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

The first present of the holiday season was wrapped this evening to be shipped out to my friend in Taiwan.

Well I learned that Cavendish and Lady Reese are VERY intrigued by wrapping paper, and presents, and the scissors. This is their first Christmas with me so it’s kinda fun to learn new things about them!

My husband put up the tree on Thursday. The cats were very "helpful" and very "involved". So proactive!

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions re a cat tree. I live in Canada so the places you bought from (eg Chewy) are not available; but I tried to incorporate your suggestions in my research. The pet speciality stores here have very little selection so I wound up on Amazon Canada. Lots to choose from, but after a while they seem the same 😁

Interesting that the covering seems to be plush fabric rather than carpet and people seemed to have problems with the structure falling apart and injuring the cat with taller trees.

So, I think I have decided on this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/Catinsider-Multi-Level-Sisal-Covered-Scratching-Perches/dp/B09KRLLCLC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

It is about $77 US and has great reviews and seems like it will be sturdy. The only thing missing is a scratching ramp, but they all seem short on the ones that have them. Will get a separate scratching post if necessary. As a tortie colour matching is challenging - black on her back, cream and marmalade on the belly. There are very few black trees, but I figure dark grey should work.

I have until Monday to place the order to get the sale price.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

An acquaintance fed her dog turkey and who knows what from thanksgiving. Poor pup been sick since Thursday.

"Who knows what" should never be part of a pet's diet.  Poor dog.  Thankfully, they're generally pretty resilient in terms of recovering from an irritated gut when it's just something they shouldn't have been fed (versus something toxic).

I got home about three hours ago and the first hour with my cat was spent cuddling, then we played, and then she started her "Mom, where's the turkey?" chirping.  So she got a little bit of turkey breast, took a bath, and is now happily napping in between me hootin' and hollerin' at football.

• Love 5
On 11/25/2022 at 9:42 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Have had two kitties in my life that would absolutely not allow the wrapping of presents to be done on the floor.  Walking across th paper, futzing with the ribbons, etc., lol.  Then there was the year that I took my eyes off of Tawny for one minute, and that 12" length of curling ribbon was now 4".  A 4-hr wait at the Vet later, and she was sent home with me to (hopefully) um, eliminate it.  She did, behind the TV cabinet.

Moral of the story - be very careful with ribbons 'n things.

~sigh~

image.png.1a8c1504159ddfe898b5fe3eb88140e6.png

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

I have until Monday to place the order to get the sale price.

That looks like a really good choice.  As an aside, I know I mentioned the height of the scratching post to be important, but I also have a kitty who seems to prefer ground level scratching, on something like this:

Scratcher-Reversible-Scratching-Corrugated 

Saw this while looking for ^that, and it seems like a really good idea too, as you can set the height.  I don't know if these prices are competitive, as I haven't purchased since before Covid, you know, when stuff was actually affordable:

Wall-Scratching-Scratcher

• Love 2
11 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

An acquaintance fed her dog turkey and who knows what from thanksgiving. Poor pup been sick since Thursday. Poor pup hope she will be okay. Guess I got my answer no human food for dogs. 

The “who knows what” could be the culprit. However, even though dogs can eat turkey, a seasoned turkey is not good for dogs, the skin isn’t either, both can be toxic. How is your acquaintance treating the dog for this? Did they consult a veterinarian?

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 3

I was watching Elizabeth walk across the room last night and she was doing her "badger walk"  with her back curved like a badger's. I thought, yeah, I can see why people called them c*** cats with their shape and bushy tails. I'm very weird, so I wondered "Hmm, badgers are in the weasel and stoat family, I wonder if raccoons are too?" So I looked it up. They are not. The difference is, weasels are strict carnivores and raccoons are omnivores, like dogs.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

The “who knows what” could be the culprit. However, even though dogs can eat turkey, a seasoned turkey is not good for dogs, the skin isn’t either, both can be toxic. How is your acquaintance treating the dog for this? Did they consult a veterinarian?

No vet. Feeding the dog rice 

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Moral of the story - be very careful with ribbons 'n things.

When Chester was alive, there could be no curly ribbon used on presents, because he'd just head under the tree and eat an entire curl.  Thankfully, I found this out by coming in right as he swallowed, so I could just induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide and get it right back out.

Same with the time Riley got into my tote bag and found an eight-inch piece, folded to four inches, of stretchy ribbon and thought that seemed like a good thing to eat.  Once again, I walked in just in time to know it had happened, and could grab the hydrogen peroxide.  Like Chester and the curl of ribbon, she'd swallowed it intact, so it was an easy process.

• Useful 2
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

grab the hydrogen peroxide.  Like Chester and the curl of ribbon, she'd swallowed it intact, so it was an easy process.

Never heard of this. Is it like using ipecac on a human? Do you dilute it? Interesting 🧐 

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Never heard of this. Is it like using ipecac on a human? Do you dilute it? Interesting 🧐 

Yes (Ipecac is toxic to cats, so can't be used).  You don't want to do it unless you have to because the pet has swallowed an inevitable obstruction -- something that's too much of a blocking/twisting danger to let pass -- that's first and foremost (these are the only two times in my entire lifetime of cats; it induces vomiting by quickly irritating the lining of the digestive tract, so obviously you don't want to do that if it's not an emergency).

And only if the offending object was quite recently swallowed so it will come back up quickly from a short distance (so it won't get stuck, and doesn't have too much to irritate as it makes its way back) -- otherwise, you have take to the vet for endoscopic removal (or surgical removal if necessary).

You use a 3% solution, syringed slowly, with the amount based on weight, and use the absolute minimum likely to work because of how irritating it is to the esophagus as it heads to the stomach.  I'm not going to post the formula (and will say the one generally found in an internet search is too strong!), as a vet should be consulted. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
17 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

No - straight.  An emergency vet told me to give 2oz of specifically fresh peroxide to induce vomiting when my cat ate part of a prescription capsule that a houseguest dropped out of his pocket.  I wrapped her in a towel, filled a shot glass and got maybe 1/2 of it down her throat, whereby she immediately started foaming and drooling and yes, yakking.

It was all very inelegant, lol.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 2

Order placed 😀 I had to join Amazon Prime, but first month is free.

@SuprSuprElevated, thanks for the suggestion re scratching board. I had seen those, but wasn't sure if a cat would use it. But, now that I think about it, she has taken to scratching the floor beside her food dish - so it might be perfect. Will look around to see if this is the best price.

• Wink 1
  • Love 3