Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

@Scarlett45 Tell Cavendish not to stress over his weight. My BB weighs the same. He was 24lbs, but has been on a long and slow diet. I’m still trying to get him down a few more pounds, but with his twice daily eye drops it’s not my priority. He’s a handsome fellow and I’m happy for you both that he is home again. Purrs 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, that's why the PU surgery is, while obviously not something anyone wants to jump to, a terrific option to have; shorten the tract and remove the narrow section, and things flow, as making a male cat's urinary tract mimic a female's virtually eliminates the problem.

It was at that appointment the vet noted he had a particularly small penis, additionally narrowing the output route, and I couldn't help but laugh how much ego would be involved if he was human instead of feline.

In that group I mentioned previously I've seen some refer to the PU surgery as a sex change operation. Which is admittingly annoying and a bit funny at the same time. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, that's why the PU surgery is, while obviously not something anyone wants to jump to, a terrific option to have; shorten the tract and remove the narrow section, and things flow, as making a male cat's urinary tract mimic a female's virtually eliminates the problem.

Bandit twice blocked, thankfully due to a mucus plug both times, so additional fluids were all that was needed (the best thing anyone can do for a urinary tract is keep it moving; sometimes more is needed, of course, but not always), and the second time it was really easy, as we took him in at the first unproductive trip to the litter box, and the vet was able to use a catheter to poke the plug into a wider segment.  Some Prazosin and he was good to go.  It was at that appointment the vet noted he had a particularly small penis, additionally narrowing the output route, and I couldn't help but laugh how much ego would be involved if he was human instead of feline.

Oh I'm starting to put some things together now!  When my kitty had similar issues a while back, I think that same surgery was mentioned as an option if the problem persisted.  So, this boy was "assigned female at birth" - we thought we were bringing home a girl kitten from the shelter.  A few days later, as we looked at "her" more closely, it became obvious there was an error!  I figured the SPCA folks were busy or maybe a little inept, but now I'm thinking maybe he was just very small in that department, especially when he was very young!

• Love 4
19 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

@Scarlett45, with my previous generation of cats, I just fed them both the special food.   It was much easier than trying to keep them apart. There was some protest at the beginning as neither of them liked the new food as much, but eventually they came around. They both hated the Science Diet urinary tract food (anything Science Diet, actually) so had to do some research on other options; eventually I found several types they would eat.

I think this latest set of pictures are the first ones where it’s been clear how big Cavendish is. He’s a chonky boy! 

He is!

Yesterday I let Cavendish sit on Cosmo’s bed while I was working. (Cosmo was in the living room). I told him this wouldn’t be a regular thing because Cosmo is possessive of his bed. But when Cavendish came out of the guest room, Cosmo walked up to him, sniffed him and wagged his tail!

Here he is basking in the sun. I’m so glad he’s back!

30678E34-EDFF-4C31-8A10-15E2E5512467.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 20
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

He is!

Yesterday I let Cavendish sit on Cosmo’s bed while I was working. (Cosmo was in the living room). I told him this wouldn’t be a regular thing because Cosmo is possessive of his bed. But when Cavendish came out of the guest room, Cosmo walked up to him, sniffed him and wagged his tail!

Awww, so sweet.   Cosmo likes Cavendish.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

He is!

You mentioned ^upthread that Cavendish's sibling (sorry, horrible with name retention) hissed when you brought him home.  I was going to comment that mine have often done that when only one went to the vet.  I think it's a combination of foreign smells, bad memories, and fear. 🙀

• Love 8
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

You mentioned ^upthread that Cavendish's sibling (sorry, horrible with name retention) hissed when you brought him home.  I was going to comment that mine have often done that when only one went to the vet.  I think it's a combination of foreign smells, bad memories, and fear. 🙀

One of my cats escaped from our apartment for 2 of the longest days of my life. Fortunately she returned from her adventure, much to the disappointment of the other cat. The non-roaming cat hissed and growled at the prodigal cat until we gave little miss runaway a bath and she smelled “normal” again. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

One of my cats escaped from our apartment for 2 of the longest days of my life. Fortunately she returned from her adventure, much to the disappointment of the other cat. The non-roaming cat hissed and growled at the prodigal cat until we gave little miss runaway a bath and she smelled “normal” again. 

Oh, I can imagine. I'd go crazy if my Elizabeth was gone for two whole days. I'm so glad the little prodigal is home, safe and sound.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Lady Reese. Yes she did! I can believe that. I wasn’t surprised but they seem to be friendly again. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 6/27/2022 at 1:57 PM, Jaded said:

In that group I mentioned previously I've seen some refer to the PU surgery as a sex change operation. Which is admittingly annoying and a bit funny at the same time. 

Just be sure not to talk about it in those terms in front of your kitty.

• LOL 6
19 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

And this is exactly why I will bundle both cats up and take them, even if only one has an appointment. In my brain, I'm trying to get big kitty (my drama cat) to understand that not every trip to the vet ends with a thermometer in the butt and a needle, sometimes you just go for skratches and treats...

Jury is still out on whether he understands that. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, Rlb8031 said:

And this is exactly why I will bundle both cats up and take them, even if only one has an appointment. In my brain, I'm trying to get big kitty (my drama cat) to understand that not every trip to the vet ends with a thermometer in the butt and a needle, sometimes you just go for skratches and treats...

Jury is still out on whether he understands that. 

Not a bad idea, but sometimes I welcome not having to wrangle two squallering kitkats into and out of the car and the vet, lol. 

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
This malfunctioning 'e' is on my last nerve.
  • Love 6

One of my house lions has had so much to talk about in the middle of the night.

We have solid play time before bed, and a good solid snuggle, then he and his brudder go off and play for awhile before they both come curl up and go to sleep around midnight and they usually sleep until morning. The last two nights at 3am it's meow me me mowwwmememeoowww MEOW ow meee owww mewow. 

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

So glad Cavendish is doing well and eating his new food, @Scarlett45!

Has anyone tried Pretty Litter? It apparently can help alert you to health issues (UTI, etc.) with your cats by changing colors depending on what issue it detects. I’m intrigued but skeptical.

I thought about that- but my vet said a change in litter can stress them out, which can make it worse. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I thought about that- but my vet said a change in litter can stress them out, which can make it worse. 

Stress can also cause a change in pH level, which would give a false positive.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:Has anyone tried Pretty Litter? It apparently can help alert you to health issues (UTI, etc.) with your cats by changing colors depending on what issue it detects. I’m intrigued but skeptical.

It doesn’t clump, if that would be your preference. I read reviews that state it is pretty dusty, also.

• Useful 4

51827E9A-78A6-43C2-AA46-EF9A0412D8E2.thumb.jpeg.ddad8fcc67746189391082af515cd9a7.jpegHere is Cosmo chilling in the shade, one of his fav places to be in the summer. A39C7512-36D9-4B4C-ACEB-31364A600129.thumb.jpeg.90a9fa9a3fd5e851191aa68e8050deac.jpeg

And Cavendish keeping me company during tv time today (we have been watching the new The Wonder Years after work). 

• Like 3
  • Love 20

The “booms” have already started in my neighborhood, and Cosmo was afraid. So I went into my room with him and now he’s sleeping by the bed. 

He got SUPER JEALOUS of the cats this afternoon during tv time. Barking at them for no reason, which isn’t usually like him. I think they had been on my lap too long. Silly furry ones. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

The booms were here this afternoon, huge thunder/lightening storm passed through. Scared the ferals under the deck but now the sun is shining. More storms predicted for tonight and tomorrow. Hope that will put a damper on the yahoos that want to set off fireworks! 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

My Harleycat is doing much better now.  She gave us a real scare when she stopped eating for four days and was lethargic.

We first called a mobile vet who came and took bloodwork. She called and said take her right away to a vet.  Turns out she had a liver infection.She is worth every penny - but I gotta say get pet insurance!

Does it sound reasonable to anyone that they charged $2300 bucks for ultrasound,  antibotics, and an overnight stay?  jeeze.20211008_171630.jpg.543bb4ae70a3ea6f91f738cbcd537b03.jpg

• Mind Blown 7
  • Hugs 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Sweedish Fish said:

She is worth every penny - but I gotta say get pet insurance!

Consumer Reports crunched the numbers years ago and concluded almost all pet owners are better off without pet insurance, and our best strategy is to put into a dedicated account the premium we'd pay each month, to amass ample funds to cover medical expenses as they arise.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6

Basically what I did for years when I had a house cat. All I have now is the ferals that I feed and water everyday. I consider them part of the natural environment and feed just like I do the birds/racoons/pheasants that pass through for food. I love them all and feed/water them all equally but can't take them all into my home.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
On 7/3/2022 at 3:57 AM, Gramto6 said:

Basically what I did for years when I had a house cat. All I have now is the ferals that I feed and water everyday. I consider them part of the natural environment and feed just like I do the birds/racoons/pheasants that pass through for food. I love them all and feed/water them all equally but can't take them all into my home.

Did you ever find a TNR organization to help you get them spayed/neutered? I realize it was hard during the pandemic but now that life has basically returned to normal, the TNR organizations are probably back to normal, too.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/4/2022 at 8:01 AM, theredhead77 said:

Did you ever find a TNR organization to help you get them spayed/neutered? I realize it was hard during the pandemic but now that life has basically returned to normal, the TNR organizations are probably back to normal, too.

Still nothing available anywhere near me, sadly. I think the idea of "normal" has different meanings in different areas.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Sad 2
18 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Still nothing available anywhere near me, sadly. I think the idea of "normal" has different meanings in different areas.

Have you contacted local vets, animal hospitals and animal shelters? They may have resources.

• Love 1
(edited)

Our Pushka died on Friday night/Saturday morning. 😓 He was only ten years old. He lost a lot of weight suddenly, so we gave him something called Rebound, that did help to bring his appetite back, and he was perkier again. We were going to take him to the vet, because he was still too thin.

He's always been the quietest one, and he was mostly my dad's cat - he adored my dad, and the feeling was mutual. My dad said "he was the first cat that was mine." the first cat he'd really had, not one that I'd found, for example. Dad found him in the parking lot of a McDonald's, ten years ago. May 2012, in Amish country. They took to each other right away, and he slept in dad's lap, on the way home. We hadn't had cats in our house for about nine months, and he knew we missed having one around. 

It still hasn't really sunk in that he's gone. Every year, he would find one or two favourite spots outside, and he would stay there for as long as possible. I would have to go out, and pick him up, to bring him back inside, in the middle of the night, or if it was getting cold/going to rain. I keep expecting to see him out there, or in another of his favourite spots in the house. And now I'm crying again. I told friends that he was gone, and then avoided the subject for a few days, I've kind of been in denial. 

I accidentally clicked quote, damn it. I meant to click the link button. 

qt0ZoiK.jpg

Edited by Anela
  • Hugs 5
  • Sad 23
6 minutes ago, Anela said:

Our Pushka died on Friday night/Saturday morning. 😓 He was only ten years old. He lost a lot of weight suddenly, so we gave him something called Rebound, that did help to bring his appetite back, and he was perkier again. We were going to take him to the vet, because he was still too thin.

He's always been the quietest one, and he was mostly my dad's cat - he adored my dad, and the feeling was mutual. My dad said "he was the first cat that was mine." the first cat he'd really had, not one that I'd found, for example. Dad found him in the parking lot of a McDonald's, ten years ago. May 2012, in Amish country. They took to each other right away, and he slept in dad's lap, on the way home. We hadn't had cats in our house for about nine months, and he knew we missed having one around. 

It still hasn't really sunk in that he's gone. Every year, he would find one or two favourite spots outside, and he would stay there for as long as possible. I would have to go out, and pick him up, to bring him back inside, in the middle of the night, or if it was getting cold/going to rain. I keep expecting to see him out there, or in another of his favourite spots in the house. And now I'm crying again. I told friends that he was gone, and then avoided the subject for a few days, I've kind of been in denial. 

qt0ZoiK.jpg

What a beautiful much loved Pushka! What an amazing life you all shared.  I hope you and your dad find great peace in knowing what love you showed him in his life.

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, Anela said:

qt0ZoiK.jpg

I'm so sorry you've lost that beautiful boy.😢

• Love 9

I'm so sorry to hear that @Anela. I'm glad Pushka had a beautiful life for the last 10 years and didn't have to spend his life in a McDonald's parking lot. Instead, he got to pick the places he liked and he didn't have to worry. He was going to be picked up any time.

My condolences to your dad.

• Love 12

I'm sorry to hear about the unexpected death of Pushka, @Anela.  It's clear in that picture how happy he was in the yard he loved so much.  I know just what you mean about expecting to see him in his favorite places.  That's going to keep hitting you for a while.  My condolences to you and your dad.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, supposebly said:

I'm so sorry to hear that @Anela. I'm glad Pushka had a beautiful life for the last 10 years and didn't have to spend his life in a McDonald's parking lot. Instead, he got to pick the places he liked and he didn't have to worry. He was going to be picked up any time.

My condolences to your dad.

This. 

Echoing the condolences, @Anela

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Well, July 4th where I live (beachside central California) is full of incredibly loud mayhem. Most of my neighbors go for the super illegal giant fireworks and the streets kinda compete against each other for who can set off the biggest and brightest and loudest (there is no fire danger here unless something lands on someone's roof and fortunately that has not happened in the last 12 years I've been here, anyways). My cat that moved here with me spent the day and night under the bed; the cat that followed him did the same and I did not know what to expect from my brother and sister team that just joined me last October. Interestingly enough they were totally chill and just ignored/slept through hours of BOOM! BANG! Here they are in the middle of it:

Unknown.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 16
8 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Well, July 4th where I live (beachside central California) is full of incredibly loud mayhem. Most of my neighbors go for the super illegal giant fireworks and the streets kinda compete against each other for who can set off the biggest and brightest and loudest (there is no fire danger here unless something lands on someone's roof and fortunately that has not happened in the last 12 years I've been here, anyways). My cat that moved here with me spent the day and night under the bed; the cat that followed him did the same and I did not know what to expect from my brother and sister team that just joined me last October. Interestingly enough they were totally chill and just ignored/slept through hours of BOOM! BANG! Here they are in the middle of it:

Unknown.jpg

They are very handsome as well as chill. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
57 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Unknown.jpg

They are nonchalant beauties!

• Like 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

Unknown.jpg

Such gorgeous kitties. 

Cavendish and Lady Reese didn’t mind the fireworks. July 4 was AWFUL for Cosmo though. He hates the booms. To add insult to injury, we had HORRID THUNDERSTORMS Monday in Chicago-land. The poor boy wouldn’t go potty after morning walk, and spent the night under the bed. He’s a BIG dog, it’s a tight squeeze under the bed, and he stayed there all night. He didn’t even eat his dinner! Nope, not coming out from under the bed. 22hrs he refused to go outside. No accidents or anything. I just felt so bad for him. 

• Sad 14
12 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Why is it that cats love boxes so much???

I think its instinctual, our domesticated cats descend from desert cats- boxes are probably like mini shelters/safety spaces, probably hard to find in the desert.

I think the same reason when Cosmo hears "booms" he goes under something to keep him safe.

And I am happy I corrected "desert" from "dessert" before I posted this.

• Like 2
  • Love 6