Type keyword(s) to search

Fargo In The Media

halgia
  • Start Topic

It will be weird hearing Martin, Marty to his close friends, talk this way on a weekly basis, but him being in it makes me want to see it more now. I was kind of on the fence before, but I like him so I'm in at least for 2 weeks.

Fargo is one of my very favorite movies (partly because I lived in the Twin Cities for many years), and Linda Holmes had positive things to say about the first few episodes on Twitter, so I'm excited!

Does anyone know when Key & Peele are supposed to be on the show?

I read somewhere that they're to appear in the last 4 episodes.  I'm not sure if that's where we are now, or if there is another episode or two before the last 4 air,

Emily Nussbaum reviews the series (not including tonight's finale) in this week's New Yorker. She's fairly critical, but though I guess I don't really disagree with any of her criticisms I weight them less than the positive parts....

Well, since she also penned a review titled, "THE DISAPPOINTING FINALE OF “TRUE DETECTIVE," I guess it should be no surprise that she doesn't think as highly of this show as I do. She is a masterful writer herself, so it's understandable that she would have a pretty high bar to clear.

She used the word "Mephistophelian" to describe Malvo, which I looked up and found:

n.

The devil in the Faust legend to whom Faust sold his soul.

IMO, this makes Mephistophelian the perfect descriptor for the character of Malvo.

• Love 1

That article says it hasn't been picked up for a second season yet. Am I missing something?

No, you're not missing something, I am. Sorry! Wrong site. 

"FX has yet to announce that it has renewed "Fargo" for Season 2. However, Noah Hawley, creator of "Fargo" and who has also written every episode of the show, has indicated that there is Season 2." 

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/556027/20140617/fargo-season-2-noah-hawley.htm#.U6Jo9FUpAup

• Love 2

Fantastic Q&A with BBT.

I love his take on what Malvo really was - and what he believed Malvo was thinking as Gus confronted him at the end.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/goldstandard/la-et-st-billy-bob-thornton-fargo-finale-20140617-story.html

Thank Lonesome, great article.

BBT certainly gets into the head of his character; something all good actors do. 

To see Malvo as Fate, who exposes people and leads them to what they are, perhaps lessens his evils and makes him more likeable. 

I'm not sure I agree that Malvo doesn't really kill anybody but bad guys, other than Vern. Pepper and Budge weren't bad people, perhaps just inept.  I agree that Malvo did expose Gus for what he was -- a brave and decent man. 

Was Lester exposed for who he is? And if it's Fate who determines this, then he's not really a bad guy since he could do no other, right? 

(edited)

Fargo did pretty well at the Critics' Choice TV Awards tonight.  Raked in Best Mini-Series, Best Actor in Mini-Series/Movie for Billy Bob Thornton, and Best Supporting Actress in Mini-Series/Movie  for Alison Tolman.  Martin Freeman and Colin Hanks were also nominated, but Martin was competing against Billy Bob, and Colin lost to Matt Bomer in The Normal Heart, which makes sense, because I haven't seen it yet, but I heard that Matt was suppose to be fantastic in it.  But I'm curious to see if this is a preview for the Emmys or not.

Edited by thuganomics85

Yeah, Matt Bomer was great in The Normal Heart. Tough match for Colin Hanks. That said, great showing for Fargo. Not sure why Alison Tolman is in the Supporting Actress category. Maybe so she has a better chance of winning? Looking at all the winners, the Critics' Choice Awards get it right. I hope the Emmys take note.

If they do renew this show, I hope they have a new crew instead of Molly/Gus/Lou/Greta.  They were nice people, but boring.  I've seen enough of them and I won't be watching if they come back.

If they do renew this show, I hope they have a new crew instead of Molly/Gus/Lou/Greta. They were nice people, but boring. I've seen enough of them and I won't be watching if they come back.

If renewed, as Noah Hawley claims, I hope it's like the American Horror Story anthology. Actors return but playing different characters in different situations and setttings. I think this season was well wrapped up and am looking forward to a new storyline. 

Wasn't sure where to put this, but since people are reading a commenting here in real time, here's a news flash: Both Allison Tolman and Billy Bob Thornton won best performer awards at the Critics Choice ceremony last night, and Fargo won for Best Miniseries.  Yay!

• Love 2

Wasn't sure where to put this, but since people are reading a commenting here in real time, here's a news flash: Both Allison Tolman and Billy Bob Thornton won best performer awards at the Critics Choice ceremony last night, and Fargo won for Best Miniseries.  Yay!

Yes, it is great! It's been discussed earlier in this thread though. :)

Fargo did about as well as expected today at the Emmy nominations: Best Mini Series, Best Actor for both Billy Bob and Martin, Best Supporting Actress for Alison, Best Supporting Actor for Colin, Best Writing for Noah Hawley, and Best Director for both Adam Bernstein and Colin Bucksey.  Congrats, everyone!  Hope to see some of them on stage come show time!

• Love 4
(edited)

I think the others are deserving, but I don't see how Colin got a best supporting actor nom.  I would have given that to Keith Carradine.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

I think the others are deserving, but I don't see how Colin got a best supporting actor nom.  I would have given that to Keith Carradine.

I agree.  Or even Bob Odenkirk.  Thrilled for the other three though, especially Allison Tolman.

• Love 4

Definitely for Bob Odenkirk if only because his character made me want to reach through the screen and throttle him!   And another definitely for Keith Carradine over Colin Hanks.  Carradine didn't appear much in the series but when he did, he made his presence known and his character very credible (can still see him playin' it carefully with Malvo in the diner, as well as his memorable propping himself on his daughter's front porch with his gun--you could just feel his protectiveness of his adult child).  But all in all, I'm thrilled that Fargo has been well recognized for its excellence and hope it will trigger a return for next season.

I think I've only see Keith Carradine in two roles, Molly's dad in Fargo and Penny's dad in Big Bang Theory. He played the same character on both, so I'm not impressed. JMO based on what I've seen.

I think Keith Carradine's standoff with Malvo in the diner, that scene alone was enough to get him the nomination over Colin Hanks.  He came off as laconic and easy going, but even Malvo could sense that this man was dangerous and not to be fucked with.

• Love 3

I think I've only see Keith Carradine in two roles, Molly's dad in Fargo and Penny's dad in Big Bang Theory. He played the same character on both, so I'm not impressed. JMO based on what I've seen.

I've seen him play "Wild Bill" on Deadwood, the FBI guy on Dexter, and they were very different characters.  As far as BBT - I remember him more of a bully and control freak.  I think he played his character beautifully on Fargo.

• Love 1

Sheesh - I thought it was starting in mid-September.  Guess I'm desperate for good TV.  Rather odd that I'm a huge fan of both Fargo & Downton Abbey but I think it's the high quality writing and acting that pulls me in.

Yes, plus the fun of the time and place in both cases. 

• Love 1

I'm excited for this. I did not see one minute of the first season but heard all the love for it, plus after the failure of season two of True Detective I'm looking forward to something coherent! Plus my affection for Ted Danson is undying so I'm in.

• Love 1

Thanks, ElectricBoogaloo. Looks great!

Fargo and True Detective were my two great TV loves last year (I'm too old to get a life, and I actually have a full time one, heh), but season 2 of TD was kind of a dud. The problem, IMO, with season 2 of TD was that the season 1 pairing of Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey was a tough act to follow, and S2's ensemble did not come close to living up to its predecessor, even though Colin Farrell delivered. So I am happy to see that S2 Fargo's cast looks excellent on so many levels. Not a Burn Notice fan, but Jeffrey Donovan should fit well here, and it sounds like he's got the accent down.

• Love 2