Type keyword(s) to search

Fargo In The Media

halgia
  • Start Topic

I think The People vs. OJ had some things going for it this season that Fargo didn't including something Fargo had going for it last season.  They both exceeded expectations.  Creating a show based on Fargo shouldn't have been as good as it was with its ability to keep the tone of the movie yet be so different.  And Ryan Murphy managed to create a TV show, based on events we already knew, that showed unexpected layers and not much camp.  Again, it was better than I expected that I watched the whole series.

It also had very good ratings, somewhat of a watercooler quality which is tough in this day and age and good performances---three stellar performances with Sarah (and I run hot and cold on her as an actress), Courtney Vance and Sterling.  I think that pushed it to the top of the heap with voters.

Edited by Irlandesa

I just saw a teaser and all the actors sound like they're from another country. I'm from Minnesota originally. I hate the over-exaggerated accents in every iteration of this story.  No one I know talks like that.  I gave up last year. I'll try again this year. I hope I can get passed the accents. 

FX released a bunch of videos in the last few days so I'm putting them under the cut just so the page doesn't take forever to load:

First look:

New promos:

Trapped:

They're Coming:

And some more of the short (20 seconds or less) promos:

Blow:

Boot:

Team:

Brothers:

• Love 2
(edited)
On 3/21/2017 at 9:26 PM, GenL said:

I just saw a teaser and all the actors sound like they're from another country. I'm from Minnesota originally. I hate the over-exaggerated accents in every iteration of this story.  No one I know talks like that.  I gave up last year. I'll try again this year. I hope I can get passed the accents. 

Well, we've sure heard those accents whenever we've visited MN.  The first time was on a plane & our flight attendant sounded as though she'd just stepped out of the movie Fargo (this was back in 2007).  Our son-in-law (a native Minnesotan) doesn't really sound like the characters in Fargo--well, maybe in a softer accent he does.  Those accents + the snow + the eerie music snippets = a great series.  I still love Season 1 the best (and probably always will).  There was just something special about (seemingly) goody two shoes Lester, corny way of speaking, up against the evil Malvo.  Perfecto!

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 5

The Fargo Poster. I have questions. Do you have answers? Will spoiler tag.

Spoiler

Stamps seem to stay the same, but they move around the poster. I can account for scene source for all but a few: The tree, The Axe, the double guns (which may represent the dual lives of some characters), the Zippo lighter, guy in a Japanese type uniform all tied up, the mitten holding a torch, the suitcase, and some funky pattern at the bottom of one set of stamps that I can't find elsewhere. Thoughts?

Sheet 1   Sheet 2   Sheet 3

I'd also love to know what the newspaper, computer and trophy say.

Noah Hawley strongly hinted at some event that this is it for Fargo.  It's in TV Guide.

Apparently alluded to running out of story ideas.

But of course, he's busy with Legend and other projects as well.  

He's certainly given caveats before season 2 and 3 that he was able to come up with an interesting story.

I liked the first season of Legend but I like Fargo more.  But maybe he's got more enthusiasm for Legend since it's a new thing.

I guess FX gives pretty wide latitude to show runners, including when shows don't have the greatest ratings.  I would think Fargo would have broader appeal but then again, comic books drive so many movies and TV shows now.

Fargo has attracted really good actors, many of whom normally do not do TV series.  I think people like BBT, McGregor, Thewliss and others are willing to do a season of an anthology series like Fargo but wouldn't commit to multiple seasons of a show like Legend.

Oh well, if season 3 is the end, it was great while it lasted ...

• Love 1

Oh damn, sounds like it's on a permanent hold.  Well, I wouldn't want Noah Hawley to rush through it.  I'd rather wait several years like Larry David did with Curb Your Enthusiasm.

13 minutes ago, Ujio said:

Wait, David Thewlis WAS nominated. But I agree that it's a pity that Stuhlbarg or MEW did not get a nod. 

Oh, i missed it! Good for him and his character's terrible, gross teeth. But seriously, how did MEW not get nominated??

• Love 2

Yeah, Big Little Lies and Feud took up most of the slots :-(

I'm torn here because I am really happy that Bill Camp from The Night Of got recognized, but Michael Stuhlbarg was one of the best things about the third season, so, yeah, that kinda sucks... 

• Love 1
(edited)

Full list of Emmy nominations:

Best Limited Series

Limited Series Actor - Ewan McGregor

Limited Series Actress - Carrie C***

Limited Series Supporting Actor - David Thewlis

Writing for a Limited Series, Movie or Drama - Noah Hawley (“The Law Of Vacant Places”)

Directing for a Limited Series, Movie or Drama - Noah Hawley (“The Law Of Vacant Places”)

Casting for a Limited Series, Movie or Special  - Rachel Tenner, Jackie Lind & Stephanie Goran

Cinematography for a Limited Series or Movie - Dana Gonzales

Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Limited Series or Movie - Henk Van Eeghen

Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Limited Series or Movie - Regis Kimble

Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Limited Series or Movie - Curtis Thurber

Hairstyling for a Limited Series or Movie - Chris Glimsdale, Penny Thompson, Judy Durbacs & Eva Blanchard

OUTSTANDING MAKEUP FOR A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE (NON-PROSTHETIC)

OUTSTANDING MUSIC COMPOSITION FOR A LIMITED SERIES, MOVIE OR SPECIAL (ORIGINAL DRAMATIC SCORE)

OUTSTANDING SOUND EDITING FOR A LIMITED SERIES, MOVIE OR SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING SOUND MIXING FOR A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

May be the wrong thread for this, but I'm rewatching season 2, and I'm struck by how superior it is, compared to season 3. Writing, acting, direction are all  much, much, much better. Of course, when the dialogue is so much more taut and impactful, without invitation to scenery-chew, the director and actors have a much better framework to work within. If there isn't any script that can be in the area of season two's, then I hope they just call it quits.

• Love 5

Golden Globe nominations:

Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Ewan McGregor
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: David Thewlis

• Love 2

Critics Choice Award nominations:

Best Limited Series
Best Actor in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series - Ewan McGregor
Best Actress in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series - Carrie C***
Best Supporting Actor in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series - David Thewlis
Best Supporting Actress in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series - Mary Elizabeth Winstead

• Love 2