Type keyword(s) to search

Fargo In The Media

halgia
  • Start Topic

On 5/18/2018 at 5:24 PM, Philip said:

I really wish this show would be back this year. I miss it so much. <3

I wish it would return with a similar storyline to Season 1 or 2 (preferably season 1 which was amazing: funny one minute...horrifying the next...then back to hilarious).

• Love 2

This sounds like it could be cool!

Chris Rock to Star in Fargo Season Four

Chris Rock is moving to “Fargo.”

The comedian will star in season four of FX’s hit limited series “Fargo,” the network announced Friday at the Television Critics Assn. press tour. The critically acclaimed series will begin production next year, for a targeted air date next year as well.

Described as a story of “immigration and assimilation and the things we do for money,” season 4 of “Fargo” is set in 1950 in Kansas City, Missouri, where two criminal syndicates — one Italian, one African-American — have struck an uneasy peace. To cement their peace, the heads of both families have traded their eldest sons. Rock will play the head of one of the syndicates, who has surrendered his son to his enemy, and who must raise his son’s enemy as his own. But then the head of the Kansas City mafia goes into the hospital for routine surgery and dies — and everything changes.

• Love 4

Chris Rock to Star in Fargo’s Fourth Season

FX just revealed details for the upcoming fourth season of Noah Hawley’s Fargo, and this time around, a comedy superstar will be headlining. At TCA, FX revealed that Chris Rock has signed on to star in Fargo’s next season set in 1950, which begins production next year. “I’m a fan of Fargo,” Rock said on the news, “and I can’t wait to work with Noah.”

http://www.vulture.com/2018/08/chris-rock-to-star-in-fargos-fourth-season.html

• Love 2

He's gotten some good reviews for his acting, I think.

The question is whether he looks like a gangster or has the physical/emotional presence of a mob boss.

One of the best acting by a standup comic playing a heavy was by Anthony Anderson in The Shield.  He was very menacing but he is a bigger guy.  Now he's in some sitcom playing some happy dad or something.

• Love 2

Chris Rock should be interesting.  Also, I don't think one has to be a big, hulking meathead to be menacing.  In fact, I think some of the most dangerous ones are actually scrawny.  They're the brains and the meatheads are the brawn.

• Love 2

Well the boss of a mob has to intimidate.  Kind of a real Darwinian world so underlings are going to look him over and think they can take hm.

But I agree, Fargo isn't the same tonally as The Shield.

Lorne Malvo is a scary character given his deeds.  But he doesn't really come across as that scary because Fargo isn't like No Country for Old Men in tone.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Chris Rock should be interesting.  Also, I don't think one has to be a big, hulking meathead to be menacing.  In fact, I think some of the most dangerous ones are actually scrawny.  They're the brains and the meatheads are the brawn.

Yeah, there are many ways of being intimidating like being willing to shoot to kill whenever.  Or have enough charisma and money to get others to do the intimidating for you. It's intriguing casting.  

• Love 2
On 13/7/2018 at 4:05 PM, roughing it said:

Season 1 was my favorite too

Season 1 was definitely my favorite as well and it's a season's show that's rewatchable anytime. Billy Bob Thorton was amazing with his 'fixer' role but moreso in terms of dry, subtle humor.

This quote by Malvo kinda stuck with me:

Calamity Joe: A Zombie kit... shotgun, machete, some Bactine®. It's a side business. I make up these knapsacks for the Zombie Apocalypse. You know... in case the dead come back to life and world gets all "dog-eat-dog."

Lorne Malvo: It's already "dog-eat-dog," friend. Not sure what worse a bunch of zombies could do.

A world with zombies would actually be easier to deal with than with living human criminals. :P

• Love 2

Season 1 was a classic.  It starts out so innocently with a midwestern husband and wife and then, WHAM!  There's a murder.  Your head just keeps spinning throughout the entire season and it was so shocking because it took place in sweet, adorable Minnesota with those cute accents & gosh darn friendly folks.  No Noo Jersey/Noo Yawk mafia types around.  Even Malvo could smile and be so precious.  Loved it!

• Love 5
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Season 1 was a classic.  It starts out so innocently with a midwestern husband and wife and then, WHAM!  There's a murder.  Your head just keeps spinning throughout the entire season and it was so shocking because it took place in sweet, adorable Minnesota with those cute accents & gosh darn friendly folks.  No Noo Jersey/Noo Yawk mafia types around.  Even Malvo could smile and be so precious.  Loved it!

And theme song, oh boy, that is such a classic tune!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Inquisitionist said:

S2 is my favorite as well.  I prefer to forget that S3 existed.

I hope that Season 4 will revert to the themes of Seasons 1 & 2.  Season 3 was really disgusting, IMO, thanks to David Thewlis's character.

On 8/8/2018 at 3:41 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I hope that Season 4 will revert to the themes of Seasons 1 & 2.  Season 3 was really disgusting, IMO, thanks to David Thewlis's character.

If I'm being honest, he's part of the reason why Season 3 in my opinion was so damn good. He was creepy, completely detestable, inhumane but I was still rooting for him to be the victor. I can't remember if Varga died but the third season had a season finale left open for interpretation whereas Malvo sadly died a tragic death.

My favorite seasons so far: S1 > S3 > S2

Anyway, Chris Rock should do a great job with his upcoming role on Fargo as a serious character (tbf, not a fan of his comedy skits).

• Love 4

I have always liked his stand-up comedy (and wish he'd stop using the F-bomb every few words...he's hilarious w/o that).  I see him playing maybe a relative of Mike Milligan, maybe. Because of the KC connection.  I can't remember what year Season 2 took place.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

And Lorne Malvo as a dentist.  :)

Heh heh.  Oh yeah...wouldn't that be wonderful!  Too bad they killed him off in Season 1 cause Billy Bob really got into that character like nobody's business.

• Love 2

I've been re-watching Season 3 these last couple of days but it's nowhere near as good as I remember it to be. Varga's still just as menacing as he was back then but the rest of the show kind of falls flat and the two twins stuff has gotten sorta old.

Here's hoping Season 4 is in the same level as Season 1.

Edited by Philip
  • Love 1

I keep waiting for news of when S4 begins. We love Fargo. It's the only show we watch together (other than Nicholle Wallace). Good thing cause after each episode, we have to figure out some of the fast-paced confusing conversations. Hurry up, Fargo!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I keep waiting for news of when S4 begins. We love Fargo. It's the only show we watch together (other than Nicholle Wallace). Good thing cause after each episode, we have to figure out some of the fast-paced confusing conversations. Hurry up, Fargo!

"'It's a winter show' [Hawley] . . . So, despite previous promises that it would air in 2019, we’d say winter 2020 is the most likely – which Hawley actually predicted way back in 2017, thanks to his commitments on Legion. . . .
". . . which means we could get our first proper look at the series in July of next year – potentially at San Diego Comic-Con." (digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a26327680/fargo-season-4-air-date-cast-plot-trailer/).

Since this article just came out last month, I guess "July of next year" is 2020, not 2019 for the preview, and that "winter" of "2020" means December???

• Love 1

I'm actually not familiar with any of those actors' work, but if past seasons are any indication, I'm sure the casting won't disappoint. I'm just excited that production is about to be underway! Sounds like a promising storyline from the synopsis provided by FX:

In 1950, at the end of two great American migrations — that of Southern Europeans from countries like Italy, who came to the US at the turn of the last century and settled in northern cities like New York, Chicago — and African Americans who left the south in great numbers to escape Jim Crow and moved to those same cities — you saw a collision of outsiders, all fighting for a piece of the American dream. In Kansas City, Missouri, two criminal syndicates have struck an uneasy peace. One Italian, one African American. Together they control an alternate economy — that of exploitation, graft and drugs. This too is the history of America.  To cement their peace, the heads of both families have traded their youngest sons.

Chris Rock plays the head of one family, a man who — in order to prosper — has surrendered his youngest boy to his enemy, and who must in turn raise his enemy’s son as his own. It’s an uneasy peace, but profitable.  And then the head of the Kansas City mafia goes into the hospital for routine surgery and dies.  And everything changes.  It’s a story of immigration and assimilation, and the things we do for money. And as always, a story of basically decent people who are probably in over their heads. You know, Fargo.

• Love 3

Hmm Kansas City?  A long way from the Dakotas or Minnesota?

If large mob syndicates from big cities are going to influence the area, you'd think it would be from more nearby places like Chicago?

Or does Hawley prefer KC because it's more under the radar?

Hmm didn't realize the distances were so similar.

But if they involved the Chicago mob, it would change the nature of the show and make it more of a story about the mob, rather than what happened when organized crime tried to infiltrate the frozen hinterlands of the country..

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:34 AM, aquarian1 said:

Kansas City is only a 6 hour drive from the Twin Cities, so not too far from MN.  Chicago is a 6-7 hour drive.  

More like 8 hrs from Chicago, under good conditions.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:31 AM, scrb said:

Hmm Kansas City?  A long way from the Dakotas or Minnesota?

If large mob syndicates from big cities are going to influence the area, you'd think it would be from more nearby places like Chicago?

Or does Hawley prefer KC because it's more under the radar?

There was a KC connection in S2.  Mike Milligan (Bokeem Woodbine) was an enforcer for the KC mob.

S4 sounds intriguing, but I hope there are some prominent female roles as in earlier seasons.  I saw Ben Whishaw on stage in London -- just superb.

• Love 2

I saw the first hint on TV.   It wasn't a preview, just a screen with "Fargo - returning in March" 

Kansas City mob guys again?  It's getting worse each season, imo, but the thought of Tim Olyphant with a Fargo accent has me salivating already.   Whishaw is always interesting, and hoping for a strong female lead.  

I downloaded a preview of Hawley's book.   Looks like the scripts with a few pictures sprinkled in. No behind-the-scenes stuff and I can't read it on the largest font setting.  I'll pass.

FargoBook1.thumb.jpg.b1d1b78b23f01fb2e8fa4e617e7df693.jpg

Edited by Razzberry

So, Season 1 aired in 2014, Season 2 aired in 2015 and Season 3 aired in 2017.  We are now in 2020.  lol  It's rather ridiculous.  I get how they want quality cast members, but, there are plenty awesome actors out there. Just pick some and get the project done.  This kind of thing is so insulting to me and I am not amused. 

https://www.elitedaily.com/p/fargo-season-4s-release-date-may-not-be-until-2020-so-get-ready-to-wait-9023238

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/8/9/17662280/tv-shows-gone-too-long-gaps-breaks-between-seasons

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So, Season 1 aired in 2014, Season 2 aired in 2015 and Season 3 aired in 2017.  We are now in 2020.  lol  It's rather ridiculous.  I get how they want quality cast members, but, there are plenty awesome actors out there. Just pick some and get the project done.  This kind of thing is so insulting to me and I am not amused. 

Noah Hawley took a Fargo break to do Legion.

• Love 1