Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: The Calm

MostlyC
  • Start Topic

With crime in Starling City at an all-time low thanks to the Arrow and his team, Oliver thinks he can finally balance being both the Arrow and Oliver Queen and asks Felicity out on a date. However, when a new villain emerges, who has claimed the name Vertigo from the recently deceased Count, Oliver is caught off-guard and someone close to him is hurt. Oliver and a newly suited up Roy take on the Count. Meanwhile, Diggle becomes a father, Lance is promoted to Captain, Laurel joins Arrow’s inner circle and Felicity gets a part-time job at a tech store to make ends meet. Also, Oliver fights to regain his company, Queen Consolidated, but comes up against a very worthy opponent – the charming Ray Palmer.

This thread will be locked until the episode has aired on the East Coast.

• Love 3

I don't know what to think about this episode.  I am not an Olicity shipper.  They're okay, but it's not why I watch.  I loved Laurel and Sara, and the show just ruined that dynamic permanently.  Did that just happen?  So I'm trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be looking forward to watching now.

Edited by Betweenthisandthat
  • Love 2

Oh my god. I expected Sara to die this season, but not like this. I thought she would at least get an arc before she gets killed off. Why did they even bother to bring her back this season? If they had killed her off in the season 2 finale, she would have died a hero's death at least.

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 10

Well I certainly wasn't expecting that ending.  Damn you Arrow writers, damn you!  Just had to do that didn't you?

I would have like Brandon Routh saying something like "I like the blue shirts more than the green shirts at another store."  Just a nod to Chuck.  They'll probably give us a Superman reference in the future with something like "I can't fly. in the future.

I liked this episode, despite the ending.

• Love 3

Lazarus Pit!

This better not be the end of Sara, or they've completely ruined that whole episode. Maybe the whole season.

I'd generally think yeah, maybe, but that'd be twice she came back from the 'dead.' Not that it would matter on this show.

Lazarus Pit!

This better not be the end of Sara, or they've completely ruined that whole episode. Maybe the whole season.

Indeed. Why couldn't they just kill off laurel? Then everyone could be happy.
  • Love 11

Fucking hell. I thought the Olicity date being blown up was the worst thing that could happen in the episode, but seriously? Seriously, show?

That had better be a faked death, dammit.  (And shit, I just read an article that made it sound very, very real.)

I can’t even deal with this, on top of my mountain of Felicity feels. The pen was red. Hold me.

• Love 11

Well, that was going really well until they decided to fridge Sara.  If the show thinks this is going to make the audience like Laurel, they're sadly mistaken.

Between Sara as Canary and the charisma-free, no-presence Waller being on the show, this is not promising.  I know there's the Lazurus Pit at least but who knows if we'll ever see that...these writers have proven they are tone-deaf where the Lances are involved.

Sad part is this was a good premiere.  Oliver and Felicity were good but of course Oliver remains his own stupid worse enemy.  Brandon Routh made a very good debut too.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 11

Fuck Guggenheim et al. Fuck them! Arrow is not on my list of must-watch TV anymore.

EDIT: I'm now just chuckling at this because man, they did the one thing most people didn't want to see happen. Aarg!

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 6

Well fuck. Really didn't think they'd do that so soon (and preferably not ever). Guess that's Laurel's motivation for heroing up sorted then.

The kiss looked different from what was shown in the promo. Different angle maybe? I liked Brandon Routh and Felicity's revenge - although I'd like to know how Ray identified Porcupine flatulence from an audio file.

• Love 2

Wow did not see that coming for Sara.    I wasn't overly attached but I guess I thought there was a lot more story to tell.   This does open other avenues for the Laurel character, for the show's sake I hope the writers can make it worth it.

I like Oliver and Felicity together.   The sexual tension I felt between them in the past, pretty easily transformed into a very romantic rapport.   I liked it and I really like the date, before it was blown up. And Felicity.......that wasn't your WORST first date??????? Guuuuurl.

Ray. Not sure about him yet but I'm glad Felicity put a farting porcupine on all of his tech.  LOL.

Roy looked AWESOME in his costume and I didn't think I would like him being fully integrated into Team!Arrow but I really did.

A pretty good premiere.

• Love 8

And apart from Sara, I don't like that they already have Ray a) knowing who Felicity is and b) CYBERSTALKING HER. That shit is NOT CUTE.

WEll Felicity hacked all his tech. I think that's illegal....

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

I actually thought the premiere was pretty boring in general and the EPs depended too much on the shocking ending to bring ratings and kick of the season.

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

I think they made a huge mistake with what they did with Sara. I honestly can't believe they built her up so much in the latter half of season 2 only to have her killed in the first episode. I truly didn't want Sara to be a plot device for Laurel. Unfortunately my fears have come true.

Welp, bring on the shoehorning of Laurel as well as the obvious attempt at making her BC. 

I was pretty indifferent towards her this entire episode anyways. 

• Love 3

Well, that went south fast.  If they wanted to kill Sara, they should have just offed her last season, and not give me hope she would stick around.  So, it's decided: Sara's dead, and her death will be the motivation to turn Laurel into the Canary.  Yay?  Only investment now is that I hope this causes a Vengeful Nyssa to come back and raise some hell.  Assuming she wasn't the one who did it.  It sounded like Sara knew her killer.  Who could it be?

Brandon Roth was a blast, but Ray is creepy as hell, and not charming; especially with the cyber-stalking.  I hope Felicity continues to hate his ass, but since Olicity got officially cocked-blocked by Peter Storemare and a rocket launcher, she'll probably fall for him.  Sigh...

Like that they are actually doing something with Diggle this season, and I liked his confrontation with Ollie.  David Ramsey can bring it!

No Malcolm or Thea.  I really hope we check in on that crazy duo soon.

Roy did look cool in his outfit.

• Love 4

god...that ending. Jesus........it had better not have been Thea who killed Sara or I'm gonna loose it

Roy seems to have settled into his sidekick role rather nicely. Love the new suit.

I did love it near the end when Ollie's phone went of and it was Barry. Nice continuity touch by the writers there.

Ray could go either way with me. He's an asshole but he does seem have some noble intentions (and was nice to see that already he has a thing for making things smaller). He's already learned a very important lesson: Don't fuck with Felicity (she will get bloody revenge)

• Love 2

I think everything that Team Arrow does is illegal :p 

yeah but I can't really blame him cyber-stalking her if she's going to hack all his tech and replace it with a porcupine or whatever. That's just as creepy imo lol.

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

First? Frak no!

Stepping back a bit:

Like:

*the new arrow in the opening graphics.

*Brandon Routh

*Roy's new suit and the return of his parkour moves

*Oliver making a necklace with a handmade arrow, of course! For the baby!

*Lyla's preaching about M1A1s--had three bitties myself and I was beyond ready

*Baby Dig--she's a cutie!

*Anything Count Vertigo; Peter Stormare is one of theose actors I'd watch read a phone book.

*John and his Truth Bombs

*Porcupine flatulence! (makes sense in context!)

*Assassin Vacation Days--Laurel made a funny!

Quentin has me worried, like Laurel, so stop overcompensating with the pig-headedness!

Was it Steelgrave or Stillgrave? If Steelgrave, I need to watch Wiseguy reruns and get that out of my system.

This version of Amanda Waller needs to die and horribly. She is neither The Wall we need or want and I haven't ever bought that this is Amanda Waller. That she is ultimately some fake Waller that was slipped into whatever position however long ago? I'll buy that gladly. The threatening of a child is too far. Comics Waller would not use kids in that manner. (Pre-52, of course.) Comics Waller keeps the Bad Guys' attention where it needs to be- on her or each other.  I may be crankier due to the last couple of minutes of the episode, but the show lost my belief in their Waller.

No words for the last couple of minutes. Just... No.

eta: ::offers to hold KenyaJ, in feels solidarity; brings ice cream::

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 4

At least it was quick and relatively painless. Black Canary brought me back to Arrow. Not sure if that'll happen again. I don't even want to rewatch season 2 on Netflix now. I'm going to go play some Linkin Park music, no one bother me.

• Love 9

I'm glad the show remember that Roy could do parkour. They forgot that for half of season 2.

I'm still pissed about Sara's death. They totally fridged her. If they wanted to kill her it should have at least been a heroic death. Uggh.

• Love 1

I think that this will come back to bite them in the ass.  Whether it's fair or not, I see people blaming Laurel for Sara's death.  To make Laurel BC, the EPs had to get Sara out of the way, and I guess they thought that the only way to do that was to fridge Sara.  At this point, it actually appears like Laurel will become BC.  Suddenly not looking forward to this season anymore.  Oh well.

• Love 13

Hahahahaha! TPTB are hilarious. Guess they didn't spoil the whole episode.

I needed that laugh, especially since I just watched Felicity walk away about 5 times in a row. (It hurts, but it hurts so good.)

I really wish this had been a two-hour premiere, because that was a lot of stuff to pack into an hour. I wish some of the scenes could've breathed a little bit more. 

Shockingly, Laurel didn't annoy me at all this episode, but I'm still not down with her picking up the Black Canary mantle. Nope, not even a little bit.

I loved every minute Diggle was on screen. He's the absolute best. And I don't know if I "like" Ray, because he's kind of smarmy, but so far, I'm enjoying watching him and what he brings to the show.

I thought I loved Felicity before, but she's working her way up the Pantheon of my favorite television characters ever. Ever. And dear god, Emily and Stephen's chemistry is insane. Every time they're near each other, I feel like my television crackles from the electricity. All the Olicity scenes killed me dead and made me feel like a 12 year-old girl (I have no shame about admitting it).

Damn you, show.

eta: ::offers to hold KenyaJ, in feels solidarity; brings ice cream::

Awww, you're a sweetheart, Actionmage. I'm a mess right now. 

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 19

that moment where your realize you are going through the 5 stages of grief because of the Arrow season 3 premiere.
is when you realize how truly invested you have become in this show in a way you haven't been in a long long time!! (looking at you ER).

i'm literally shaking from adrenaline, people, not kidding!

Really the episode was this close to get a 10 out of 10 from me, and then they offed Sara.

i'm trying to think rationally so i can provide insight on the episode but, i'm all kinds of shaken up.

My brain doesn't wanna compute that last scene.

so is this the point where Arrow begins to be a train wrack you can't stop looking at?

My god the Ep's really want Laurel as BC. and with them killing Sara i am slowly gonna lose hope for Olicity. because if they kill Sara they can try and kill Olicity too.

and i'm ranting, I know.

i'm just gonna go and hug a purring kitty... because i need a hug, and some chocolate, and alot of booze to help get me over this episode and accept what has just happened.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 6

Shockingly, Laurel didn't annoy me at all this episode, but I'm still not down with her picking up the Black Canary mantle. Nope, not even a little bit.

I know! Laurel being cool, caring with Quentin, decent with Sara, and then WHAM!  Still don't want her to be the Canary. I'd want Zombie Isabelle  to Canary before Ms. Lance.

As for the shooter? The "disguised" voice sounded like Merlyn.

eta: Second Morrigan's Dumbasses and--

Do they tell Lance for example that his daughter died a second time? It would only be her first actual death, or third presumed death. Lazarus Pits being a factor in this situation.

After helping Team Arrow triumphantly defeat another vertigo outbreak,

Apparently this person was busy getting the article ready that they missed Count's 'always someone out there' speech. As The Count mentioned at the top of the hour, the actual man may change, but the drug is still available to make and be sold.  At best, they delayed an 'outbreak.' They need Felicity to erase it as thoroughly as possible, but it's threat is not over. Sara helped kick henchman ass. Roy was the Big Damn Hero staying with the bomb and trying to get it frozen. That is not a dis of Sara. It's what happened. Watch the show, Ms. Aguilera.

I think I am finished reading interviews with TPTB.  To quote Guggenheim, "it’s always incredibly, incredibly hard. [snip]it's really, really, really difficult for us…"

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 2