Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: The Calm

MostlyC
  • Start Topic

I'm not an Olicity fan. I have nothing against the pairing, it's just not what I watch the show for. So I'm glad they put it out there and have swept it aside for now. But while it may be over for now those of you who are shippers can take solace in the fact it doesn't have to stay that way.

I like Peter Stormare, because no matter what he's doing he really seems to enjoy himself, and that makes me enjoy watching him.

Brandon Routh...he was certainly more animated here than in Superman. I'm going to reserve judgement on the character for now though, because I don't know yet if he was supposed to be cool and confident or creepy.

Quentin has to nearly die a second time for him to realize he needs to slow down. He's just that stubborn. I like his determination.

And now for the worst part. I was surprised to see Sara back. I've mostly avoided spoilers (and even on here there's so much stuff I have glossed over and forgotten a lot) so while I knew she was returning I didn't expect it in the premiere. I also couldn't figure out WHY she was there, unless she was running from the LoA and didn't want anyone to know. Then...that ending. Three arrows AND a fall off a building? Seriously? I guess they didn't want there to be any question of whether or not she was actually dead. Speaking of, after I overcame my surprise this occurred to me. Unless it was Ra's himself (and maybe even then) I feel sorry for whoever killed Sara when Nyssa catches up to them.

• Love 3

Rant warning.

I love this show. It's been my favorite show for two years. It's one of two shows I will actually tolerate ads to watch. They have done nearly everything right. Even Moira and Tommy's deaths had meaning and I could understand it from what it means for Oliver. I was really happy that Olicity was addressed early on. And thank you for making it clear that Oliver really does love Felicity even if he's all fucked up about it. Thank you for the kiss. It was a great kiss. 

But Fuck you sideways with a cactus for that ending. You just put three arrows in my love for this show. You had a perfect Black Canary.  Have you also written out John Diggle as a member of Team Arrow??

Why Arrow, writers?  Why are you doing this? Why the fucking fuck did you kill off Sara?  Well I know why. Because fucking Laurel Lance. I hate this so much.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 13

true, he has declared that he has made his decision, that is true. but is he 100% sure of his decision?

The Arrow may be sure- because as long as Oliver Queen is present he will continue to be a distraction, a fear instigator, a symbol of hope for a happy life the Arrow can/will never have. So The Arrow is sure, but not Oliver Queen. And as much as he is going to be Ignoring Oliver Queen existence and try to bury him six feet under; he will always be there. and it is Oliver Queen (not the Arrow- well for this season anyway, i'm fully expecting, hoping, for them to merge into one by the beginning of next season) who is in love with Felicity.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic about him being sure. I agree that he's not sure, and that he's not going to really be able to only be the Arrow. But kissing Felicity and saying that to her was selfish, and I'd prefer he be more careful and thoughtful about that when it comes to her.

So, after watching, there were a lot of things that I did like. Up to that last minute, I was really digging almost everything. Sara's death is just such a slap in the face for a variety of reasons. I think a kidnapping would have accomplished whatever story line Nyssa is going to be involved with. I can't believe this was for anything other than Laurel and right or wrong, it makes me mostly loathe that character now. 

My Olicity loving heart was very happy (for a while) but my superhero loving heart just got crushed. 

• Love 5

Ugh, guys, I didn't even realize that while Oliver and Diggle were having their fight about crusades and choices, Felicity was crying at her desk. She knew it was over.

Everything is breaking my heart. If this show had nuts, I would kick them.

• Love 19

Dear arrow writers,

Can't you find another way?

Great. Now i'm crying AND laughing. Thanks for that.

Is the baby going to be a Michaels, a Diggle, a hyphenate? I am just curious. Michaela Diggle?

Oh my gosh -- that's her name in my head from now on. So cute.

So I'm this huge Oliver fan, right, and I can usually understand his thinking and why he makes the stupid mistakes he makes, etc. And while I loved every Olicity scene tonight, the more I think about him kissing her and saying "Don't tell me to say I don't love you," the more mad I get. Like. Are you serious? What was the goal there? He'd made his decision; he's all sure about it. The least he owes her is what she asked--that he say "never" instead of "maybe."

Which is why I really achingly love her response. GAH Oliver -- a kiss (even THAT kiss) does not make up for you being a melodramatic idiot about being with the woman you love! (The really good thing about this is that she has not responded that (second) ILY declaration yet -- cause that's when it really IS over.) Edited by RandomMe
  • Love 2

Ugh, guys, I didn't even realize that while Oliver and Diggle were having their fight about crusades and choices, Felicity was crying at her desk. She knew it was over.

I noticed that too. I was shouting, "Stop fighting, my babies! Stop fighting"....:( I am not even that sad about Sara's death because it was a shitty nonsensical death. I am just angry.

I noticed that on the rewatch. It broke my heart. 

Out of curiosity, if Oliver is so broke he has to make presentw out of arrowheads, Felicity has to buy him a bed and work at a store, how does he have the money to buy those arrowheads, not to mention power the Arrowlair and repair/replace all the computers and everything Slade trashed?

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 1

Out of curiosity, if Oliver is so broke he has to make presentw out of arrowheads, Felicity has to buy him a bed and work at a store, how does he have the money to buy those arrowheads, not to mention power the Arrowlair and repair/replace all the computers and everything Slade trashed?

The finances will never make sense.  Vigilantism is expensive work.  No way could a job at an electronics store support it.  

I don't think she was crying- but my streaming screen was like iphone 6 size, so i can't to be sure. but i do agree on the "realized it was over" part.

regarding the baby name. i can go with a Michaela Diggle. but.. it be a pure copycat cause... ER already did it. in 1998. But I mean, if they are gonna copy a show, i do rather it be early seasons ER.

Edited by foreverevolving

I don't think she was crying- but my viewing screen is like iphone 6 screen small so it's hard to be sure. but i do agree on the "realized it was over" part.

regarding the baby name. i can go with a Michaela Diggle. but.. it be a pure copycat cause... ER already did it. in 1998. But I mean, if they are gonna copy a show, i do rather it be early seasons ER.

She was - I rewatched. They don't show her crying until Digg walks out.

And they're naming that baby Sara.

• Love 1

I'm fanwanking that Walter is helping Oliver out monetarily and that all of Walter's money is going to Team Arrow which is why Oliver is broke. He can't afford personal luxuries because he is putting all the money he has into vigilantism

• Love 3

Damn it! I was really loving the premiere and thought it was going so great. Oliver and Felicity (that plant gift, the constant touching, that date, that kiss), Diggle, Lyla, and the Digglet, Team Arrow... I even thought Laurel was okay, particularly, during her scenes with Quentin and I was warming up slightly to Ray, in spite of the smarm and cyber stalking.

And then they fucked over Sara and killed her so that the fucking mask and jacket could conveniently, literally, fall at her sister's feet. Screw you, writers! Right now, I'm really hating this contrived "development" so fucking much that I can't even revel in whatever enjoyment I felt during most of that episode. I'm not even one to curse a lot and I'm having some difficulty in stopping the steady stream of profanities in my head right now.

cxKLFs6.gif

• Love 12

Oliver's greatest fear ... is what would happen if he let himself go as Oliver Queen?  That sounds like a therapy session.

I thought it was really nice directing. Oliver and Diggle were in the background but the camera stayed on Felicity through the first bit, and you could imagine how her heart was breaking. That's why she said she didn't want to talk to Oliver at the hospital, because she already knew what he would say. 

I thought she gave up too fast on him but maybe it was because she'd already played the conversation out in her mind so many times.

And how could he afford dinner at that fancy restaurant?  I guess he didn't have to pay in the end.

I'm still really upset about Sara.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

Oliver's greatest fear ... is what would happen if he let himself go as Oliver Queen?  That sounds like a therapy session.

I thought it was really nice directing. Oliver and Diggle were in the background but the camera stayed on Felicity through the first bit, and you could imagine how her heart was breaking. That's why she said she didn't want to talk to Oliver at the hospital, because she already knew what he would say. 

I thought she gave up too fast on him but maybe it was because she'd already played the conversation out in her mind so many times.

I think she was just guarding her heart. She knows he's in a place where he can't commit, and she doesn't want to get her heart broken. There's no use in fighting for something if the other person doesn't want to give it. I think she did the smart, healthy thing. Oliver once again behaved like an asshole by giving her something to hang onto. I'm glad she walked away from it.

• Love 2

Something for Felicity to hang on to ..... or a hope for Oliver himself to hang on to?  Could it be the latter, or is his  head too far up his ass?

And oh, look, now Laurel can complain again  that everybody leaves her.

• Love 6

Something for Felicity to hang on to ..... or a hope for Oliver himself to hang on to?  Could it be the latter, or is his  head too far up his ass?

And oh, look, now Laurel can complain again  that everybody leaves her.

She's standing there telling him to stop dangling maybes in front of her, and then he dangles the biggest maybe there is when he tells her not to ask him to say he doesn't love her. He should've just kept quiet about it since he wasn't going to follow through with it anyway. It might have given him hope to hold onto, but it was still a little string to keep her tethered to him - that's why I'm glad she walked away.

• Love 8

That ending...just no.

I was perfectly happy with the first 59 minutes (well more like 43). But that last minute? God, no. That may actually ruin the season for me. I don't give two craps who killed Sara at the moment. All I can focus on is the fact that Laurel has the Black Canary role drop right in front of her (LITERALLY! SYMBOLISM SUCKS). I didn't come into this season for a Whodunnit premise. We JUST lost Moira last season, which is about six months for the gang. There was no purpose for this death, other than for shock value. Laurel's path of being a lawyer was perfectly fine with me. I even liked Laurel this episode, especially when she tells Oliver that he stops criminals, and she puts them away. That's a perfect arrangement for me. I don't need Laurel fighting crime literally to be useful. I'm just hoping she never steps foot in the Arrow lair again. I would have been fine with Sara popping in and out of the season. The only thing I can find positive in this is the fact that it was actually shocking. Sara didn't come back to tell anyone some major news, so she didn't hold any secrets (ok, no secrets that are vital to the season...yet?). She just came back to see her sister and happened to help Oliver out. Which makes it all the more frustrating.

Ok, now for the rest of the episode. I am a huge fan of Olicity so I loved their scenes this episode. I'm glad to see they made more progress and the writers, at the very least, are acknowledging that this is a popular couple. I laughed at the dinner scene where Oliver just jumps right into 'let's talk about me' instead of asking about Felicity. Sad thing is, I know they only did that because of lack of time, or else we might have gotten a little more about Felicity. But then again, Oliver can be selfish. I love the Arrow and think he's a great guy, but Oliver Queen is definitely a dick. I like how he's acknowledging it.

Ray's a creep. I like the smarmy behaviour because he's clearly not supposed to be liked, but he's still a creep and I worry for Felicity's safety.

Aww, Diggle and Lila's baby girl is adorable. I should have made the connection between the birth and death this episode, but I didn't. I'm guessing Sara will be the middle name of the baby? 

Nope, I got nothing else besides Lance is awesome.

• Love 2

I thought it was mostly good but so frenetic! I can be optimistic about how some of the plot points and themes will progress over the season, like Oliver coming to terms with his humanity-identity (likely with Diggle finding balance with his various roles as an example), and maybe Ray representing the concept of an alternative life rather than a triangle point.  And I'll remind myself that no one ever really dies on a comic book show or movie, no matter what articles and producers say!  WRT Laurel, it would be interesting to see someone be tempted to lead a superhero life and struggle to develop the necessary skills and outlook, only to realize that there is a better way (such as being a good DA).  But pipe dreams, I know.

In any event, the next time Felicity and Oliver talk about a bed, it had better be because they're both too exhausted to leave it.

Chekhov's bed!  A bed mentioned at one point must surely be used at a later point.  And you know that houseplant will be used as a symbol of hope - it will get more longing looks than the salmon ladder.   

• Love 7

The love:

-I loved Oliver/Felicity interactions, as friends and partners, but you never know about the actual romantic turn. Well, that's what I call "insane" chemistry. They're hot, they're endearing, they put a smile on my face, they make me feel for them and to summarize they're believable as lovers. They have a healthy relationship, including not only love but respect and trust. Plus, it didn't take over the show or the hour. So OK, I surrender. I love them and I want them together.

-I loved Diggle, loved Diggle/Lyla, I adored Diggle's first scene with Oliver, with the gift, and the last with the hug. And I love Diggle/Lyla and Diggle looking at his baby? Precious.

-I loved Felicity. As someone said upthread, she's her own woman, didn't lose IQ points or willpower because she's in luuurve, and is badass in her own way. Definitely, one of the best female characters on TV right now for me.

-Sara's arrival and the double fight. Badass!

-Oliver writing a mail to his mother and not to Lady Voldemort, during his escape attempt. Good.

-Edit: How could I forget P.Blackthorne and Captain Lance? So much love. He single-handedly made the hospital scene worth watching, imo.

The Meh:

-I wasn't more convinced by the new count than by the first one. Too cartoonish, for me.

-I had the highest hopes for the flash-back, and I found myself checking out, uninterested. I hope it'll change.

-I had a glimmer of hope for the first Ray Scene, since I didn't hate him and didn't find B.Routh as cartoonish as I feared. But it'll be a big fat no for now. Smarmy McCreeperson, no thanks. And I saw no more insane chemistry than I saw Emmy-worthy performance from K.Cassidy last year.

-Laurel. The acting is still baaad, sorry not sorry. And trying to give her a cute little foot in the mouth moment, like Felicity? Didn't work for me. They were back to the S.1 persona, minus the bitterness, which is why she's still in the meh.

Now, onto the last minutes.

The WTF, I think I should stop watching this show:

-Of course, I'm going to believe that after throwing her onto Slade's blade last year, Oliver is going to give up on Felicity because of this contrived bullshit he spouted. I fear they're going to change the dynamic of Oliver and Felicity's unique relationship into a cliché, destroying it in the meanwhile. And of course, they do that just after they got me on board...Lucky me.

-Diggle taking a step back, and Team Arrow looking more or less in shambles. It better not be. No Team Arrow = No show.

-Did the EP add outrage to injury, meta-way, by having Sara fall at Laurel's feet? I see what you did there, and I am not amused. Actually, I can't say how pissed off I am.

I thought for a second, wow, K.Cassidy is actually having a warm smile...I understood a few seconds later. It was like the jacket scene, wasn't it? And the less said about the "acting" during the "grieving" scene, the better.

Funny thing, I wouldn't have minded that much Sara's death around ToD, but the way she won me over again at the end of the season showed me she was a great character who merely suffered from bad writing at one point (imo of course). Another female character fridged (and it isn't good to be a blond non-straight character this fall season, is it, Shay from Chicago Fire?) another huge batch  (imo) of storylines opportunities thrown away, another pairing I really liked and wanted to see developped DoA.

All that for what? Laurel, the wet blanket.

No, thanks.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 10

I was on such a high from this episode and the angsty Olicity kiss, then they killed Sara. I would hope it would be a possible death, but nope she's dead. I was liking Lauren be the law side to the vigilante stuff- why does she have to be the Canary? Doesn't make sense, and now the Sara fans hate her more.

Diggle better not be sidelined for long.

I will go back to watch the Olicity cuteness when I've recovered from the Sara shock. Blah.

• Love 1

regarding who killed Sara. my guess is

Komodo

as we know he is appearing next episode.

and i'm giving laurel a new nickname following the events of this episodes: Fakanary.

you are most welcome.

Mean, but lbr, accurate.

Felicity, this season or the next.

Don't even put that out in the universe!

I hope it does. I hope the show does great and the rest of the fans get what they want and are super happy to counterbalance the way my heart was shot up with arrows, fell off a building, crash landed on a car, slumped to the ground and died in the street, cradled in the arms of my most apathy-inspiring relative. I'm not bitter. I'm in that place past bitter that just wants to return the equilibrium to the battle between good and evil (tv).

Scoot over.

Dear arrow writers,

Can't you find another way?

Seriously, like any other way?

I did and I love that part, because it allowed Felicity to be smart and prepare for Oliver's sudden, but inevitable stupidity.

John Campea from the Arrow aftershow is still going to stop watching the show if this Laurel becomes Black Canary (unless it happens years from now)

And he even laughed at the comment I wrote in during the After Show. I'm David Fischer, he read my comment at the 13:35 mark. lol

• Love 4

Mean, but lbr, accurate.

As i said in a different thread only a day or so ago: I am no longer holding back my inner Bitch when it comes to Fakanary. yep! it is probably going to get old for many of you, but whatever 'okayness' i had during the premiere- because i was actually willing to reach a treaty with her and tolerate her presence- died along with Black Canary.

so from now on, until TPTB prove to me she is not going the canary route, I will only refer to her as Fakanary.

you are BTW welcome to use it. and, if any of you can figure a way to make it sound better-because i suck at words mashing- be my guess.

And i am pointing out right now. If at any point in the future TPTB will at any way hurt, kill, or do anything bad to Felicity and Olicity just so they can prompt Fakanary and the blah ship she is part of; i will stop watching. And i do believe it will be a first (although it's 2am est so i may be remembering wrong), where i will actively stop watching a show because of one specific character. Usually i just lose interest due to boredom or lack of time to care enough.

ETA: the hurt kill and etc thing also extends to Diggle, Lance and baby Digglet. but really mainly to Felicity.

• Love 6

Oh, hey, I remembered something that I noticed. In the flashback to Hong Kong, the scrawl said "Five years ago"... Shouldn't that have said "Three years ago?" Pretty sure Oliver had been on Lian Yu for, at least, two years with Yao Fei, Slade, Shado, and Sara before A.R.G.U.S. picked him up. Unless the island timeline doesn't follow real time like the present timeline is supposed to be doing. If the writers on this show have trouble with basic Math, I think I now have a much better understanding about the incredibly wonky and incomprehensible excuses they keep coming up with about the Queen's finances.

• Love 1

I loved that Team Arrow got a nice chunk of screen time. See how nice it is show when you focus on what works!

Loved the opening action sequence back flipping onto a track trailer cab not the easiest way to do things Oliver but okay style points.

Olicity adorable-ness was ... adorable. The restaurant scene where he opened up to her I need more of that, that is what I hope for out of their romance. The dreamy stare at Felicity while Diggle said about his whole universe changing when he saw the Digglet. Oliver watching Felicity when he tells Diggle that "You have a life, a new life, a life I can never have." The bright light behind Oliver and Felicity when they kissed. This show does not do subtle. 

I had trouble hearing a lot of the dialogue like others already mentioned. Oliver especially was talking really fast. Which brings me to my first complaint. There was just too much going on. I was getting whiplash from scene changes. A lot of the moments in this episode would have benefitted from giving the characters a moment to just breathe.

I don't know if I went into this episode with KC's soul mates comment in my head and projected that on to the Oliver and Laurel scene but I wanted to yell at Laurel to stop flirting when they were walking up to Captain Lance's press conference.  I'm sorry I just can't get behind her acting. It's just all very one note and pulls me out of her scenes.

I didn't have a horse in the Sara race. I am sorry for those who loved her and having her literally fall at Laurel's feet. I do feel CL was VERY misused. She was back to make a comment about needing people without masks, which why would she even say that, I always thought it would be in reference to Oliver telling her about wanting to go out with Felicity but the show in it's eagerness to have her give out a few words of wisdom just had her randomly read Oliver's mind? And then to die. Now I'm doubly angry about all the screen time given to her last year. What was the point of making people care about her?

And clearly I didn't wait long enough after the episode aired before writing my review.

• Love 3

I've had a few hours to absorb this episode and I'm still a mess.

What I liked:

- Team Arrow being happy, confident and seamless. Even with Roy in the mix. And I liked his costume more than I thought I would

- Felicity at Buy More, channeling "Chuck" was nice

- Realism surrounding Quentin's health

- Oliver being all sorts of nervous, adorable & happy. I'm not saying I'd want That Oliver on every minute of every episode but I'd watch it if it was on most of the time. It was refreshing to see less brooding

- Oliver & Felicity. Even though I'd been pretty spoiled, the scenes played out so nicely

- Digglet is adorable!

- Oliver being soooooooooooo confused at the tech talk at the board meeting

- The stunts - top notch as always!

What I didn't like:

- Sara dying

- Laurel smiling too much when she was talking to Sara on the rooftop

- heavy handed symbolism (the light when Oliver & Felicity kissed, Sara's mask falling off & onto the ground near Laurel)

- Sara dying

I'm on the fence about Ray Palmer and Hong Kong.  It was nice to meet the characters involved but I didn't come away from any of them with any strong impressions one way or the other.  Again, the hype for Ray Palmer seems premature.

But the final straw is Sara's death and what it now means.  It was brutal, graphic, shocking and all because Laurel, again, needs to have something she hasn't earned whatsoever.

I can't see her as BC, now or later. Even if she becomes a different superhero, I can't picture it whatsoever. And the show seems determined to have her in that rool as soon as possible, which defys all logic to me.

I was bugged by KC's grin at the end. It's unprofessional on KC's part and I wish that someone would just tell her to knock if off. 

I disliked Laurel before tonight.  I was more than happy for her character to move to Central city or something. But now? I just want Laurel dead dead.  As in shot with 3 arrows and fell on to a car dead.

We watched the show live tonight but that won't be happening again.  Husband and son are done. The show is on my DVR. Next Wed. we will be watching "X-Men Days of Future Passed."  Arrow has competition for my eyeballs and tweets.

I love this show. It has a lot of elements that I enjoy, all of which were highlighted so nicely in the premiere: stunts, friendship, humor, love, loyalty, challenges and hope.

Unfortunately, this show also disappointed me in many ways tonight.  I was swooning, to a degree, with the Olicity stuff - and I think SA and EBR were just fantastic in their scenes.  But Oliver is clearly a mess, emotionally - he was correct when he told Diggle that it wasn't the right time (to ask Felicity out). He's absolutely right, it wasn't.  He bailed so quickly that it makes you wonder just how long he would have lasted if the restaurant hadn't been attacked when it was. As happy as he wants to be, there's still a big part of him that either doesn't trust it to happen or doesn't think he deserves any of it.

I loved that Felicity was very direct with him about what she hoped for him and them.  I loved that he was refreshingly honest about his feelings (and concerns).  They showed that they love each other, respect each other and want the other to be happy.  I think there's still a lot for them to deal with. And that's fine.  But I wish that Oliver would be more consistent.  As someone pointed out, he risked her life (possibly without her consent) to get to Slade.  It makes no sense that he'd be willing to walk away so easily from happiness after the bomb.  Not consistent at all.  For all that Felicity said to him, I wish she'd pointed out what happened in the final battle with Slade.

So I'm getting tired of Oliver NOT learning from his mistakes.  He's growing up, yes, but it almost seems like he's still stuck in the '2 steps forward, 1 step back' methodology. 

• Love 11

Oh, hey, I remembered something that I noticed. In the flashback to Hong Kong, the scrawl said "Five years ago"... Shouldn't that have said "Three years ago?" Pretty sure Oliver had been on Lian Yu for, at least, two years with Yao Fei, Slade, Shado, and Sara before A.R.G.U.S. picked him up. Unless the island timeline doesn't follow real time like the present timeline is supposed to be doing. If the writers on this show have trouble with basic Math, I think I now have a much better understanding about the incredibly wonky and incomprehensible excuses they keep coming up with about the Queen's finances.

Actually they got it right.

Two years on Lian Yu=Two seasons. so add the: three years since Oliver left Lian Yu + the two years since he has been back to Starling= 5 years.

• Love 2

I can understand why the episode was called "The Calm". It was practically sedate IMO.

Right what did I love:

I love, love, loved the Olicity interaction. Like on a whole other level, I squealed!!! This was one of the best Felicity episodes to date. She's that strong, intelligent (although thinking Oliver would win QC back was a bit uh uh) sassy woman. I died when she said "I've seen you shirtless. Many times. All the time." Everything was perfectly perfect. When she was crying whilst Diggle and Oliver talked I was like damn she knows what's coming. I didn't mind Oliver kissing her at the end. If anything it seems she can tell he wants her and loves her but she can't help him with the issues he needs to work through. The kiss just confirmed it. It was so sad, broke my heart.

Oliver was strangely self aware in this episode. He even told Diggle that he's not in the right place for a relationship so, I don't feel irritated by him. I feel sorry for him because understandably, he has things to deal with. At least it wasn't the "because of the life that I lead thing.." although having a mission being chosen over you probably hurts just as much (poor Felicity).

I liked Laurel this episode because surprise surprise: she wasn't involved with Oliver in any way other than work. Loved her and Quentin and her and Sara. I was doing a happy dance when they were talking to each other because their relationship needs work.

I adored Diggle and Lyla and their beautiful baby. That whole scene with Oliver watching Felicity, Lyla and the baby was so sad because you knew what was coming. Poor Felicity (again).

Everything about Team Arrow and their interaction was great.

What I didn't like:

I felt like I needed a Xanax when Sara died. I was SO. TOUCHED. I was never a Sara Lance fan (a Canary fan sure) but when she died I just couldn't handle it. I literally paused and went for a walk. I just felt so horrible because the manner in which she died argh it killed me. Count me as one of the people who thinks they've traded Lauriver for Olicity and Sara having to die to make room for Laurel as BC. Whilst I'm glad Olicity is a go, I don't like who they went about it. Sigh I was looking forward to what Sara would have to offer us in Laurel's journey. I'm also one who thinks Sara would have done better dying in Nyssa's arms all those many episodes ago. It makes far more sense frankly and it would've been a hero's death.

Ray. Sigh. I'm surprised by some of the comments here about liking Ray. He seems like a massive dope. I'm sure once Felicity lets her walls down around him we'll see something interesting but for now, Ray seems a bit of an idiot. A stalking, really smart idiot.

What I'm not sure about:

The Count. I wasn't really sure about him. I liked the previous Count to be honest so this new Count with the accent was a little...I don't know.

Poor. Roy. I feel so bad for him. Although his parkour moments were fantastic and I'm glad we're getting that back from season 1, he seems so very miserable. I just want to hug the guy. He seemed so off to the side in the Arrowcave.

BTW (RAY!) how did Oliver get Verdant back? I feel like I missed something.

Now, I'm not sure how Olicity will interact anymore. What I loved about their relationship was the lightness, the lack of baggage, the trust and loyalty. Arrow writers, DO NOT lose that. I don't care what you want to write but if you ruin it what's the point of Felicity being someone light in his life. Tread. Lightly.

• Love 3

I've been sort of holding back on my comments because up till now, I didn't really know how I felt about this episode, and it just hit me. This episode left me feeling completely and utterly empty.

And this is funny to me because there's so much about the episode that I loved. I loved Team Arrow working together, I loved Oliver/Felicity going on their date because it felt real and honest and it was everything I could hope for (I literally squealed like a little girl), I was happy for Digg/Lyla, and was incredibly sad yet hopeful with Oliver/Felicity leaving things the way they did, and I was also starting to get into the flashbacks again. 

It's the last minute that made everything that happened in the show not matter anymore, at least not to me. That last minute just made me feel nothing about the episode. I didn't cry, I was just in such disbelief. Why? Because the fact that they would take a bright, strong, beautiful, complex young woman and reduce her into a plot device is just insulting. Making Sara collateral damage just so the writers can have this mystery and make Laurel relevant and give her meaning is just insulting. And the question is, why did they have to kill her off? Why couldn't Sara have been kidnapped? Why is it that whenever Laurel needs progression, someone who's better than Laurel in every sense of the word has to die? It's honestly perplexing to me. Sara had so much potential. She had a darkness in her that I would've liked to see resolved and explored. She had a rich history that was bound to be exciting but now is just such a useless waste of time because what's the point in looking at Sara's history when she's dead?

I'm just at a loss here because I want to squeal about the things I loved about the episode, but I'm just left here feeling bereft. 

It's clear what they're going to do with Laurel now. Her journey is going to mirror Oliver's in the sense that she'll start out seeking revenge to avenge Sara, then when she finally gets that, she will become BC to honor her memory. It's so clear. And though I want to be excited for Laurel, I can't help but feel resentful towards her because she's the reason Sara had to die, and that just makes me hate her. Like really really hate her. And I've never truly hated a character before. 

And it's not only this. This episode leaves me worried because if they treated Sara like this, what would they do to Felicity in order to make comic canon happen with Oliver/Laurel? Will they kill her off too just because Ollie/Laurel are 'meant to be' in the comics? This just leaves me with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach because the writers will bend over backwards to the point of breaking their back in order to appease Laurel. 

I'm genuinely upset. And that doesn't happen a lot for me. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 17

I don't think she was crying- but my streaming screen was like iphone 6 size, so i can't to be sure. but i do agree on the "realized it was over" part.

oh yeah she was crying rather openly but quietly.

tumblr_nd5oh3DlXh1sr6d2do1_1280.png

I was loving all the Olicity stuff even with them "breaking up" at the end so I should have known the show was going to ruin my high. Why even bring Sara back for those two little scenes. They could have killed her off screen. Having the final scene be with Laurel is not going to make me root for her to take over the Canary. It just makes me resent her.

• Love 1

I read The Song of Ice and Fire and watch Game of Thrones. I'm used to characters dying. This, combined with my cold indifference towards Sara from the very beginning (I preferred her to Laurel and that was it), resulted in my quite positive reaction towards the episode.

I'm not upset Sara is dead, but I am upset Laurel will now take the center stage. In the first scene with Oliver and Laurel I noticed her hair was a bit lighter, blonder. I thought then "Oh, she's getting closer to the Canary". Now she will probably take the mantle and add "Black" to the name (oh, the colour of mourning, oh, woe is me Laurel).

Yet frankly, Sara was living on a borrowed time. She was bound to get fridged, sooner or later (I though she would just disappear, but they took the more permanent method). Perhaps the writers will one day realize that Laurel is not too popular (or maybe she is? I don't know, but my dislike for her is so great I am biased).

I am also an Olicity devotee. And this episode only strenghtened my feelings. I don't know if it's just the way Stephen and Emily play their characters, but what I saw was the beginning of something beautiful (albeit it was put on the backburner). To see Oliver, a serial womanizer, bumble in front of a girl, was a sight to remember. And he remembered the color of the pen! (awwww!)

Still, Oliver was the person to blow everything to pieces. I'm glad Felicity walked away. I have hope they will get back together once Oliver gets through his man-pain (sara's death will not help him in this respect...). If only Laurel would stay clear of his romantic orbit...

Ray Palmer, on the other hand - a charmer, a creep. But I love Brandon, he made a nostalgic Superman and I think this creation will be... atomic.

• Love 3

Well at least now they can show Oliver what dead actually means. 

I also wonder how much it messes someone up to have the same person die on you three times.

4 times if you count the time she took poison because she did not want to be an assassin, once on Queen's gambit, once on Amazo and finally through the Arrow and fall on the dumpsters.

• Love 1

Wow... that was dumb and unpredictable just for how predictable it was. I understand that there light even have been other reasons why Sara's death could be a real catalyst but all I can see is Laurel needs relevance and is not awesome enough to be BC in her own right. I genuinely thought the writers were not stupid enough to do this. Especially in this manner and in the premiere. I guess I am disappointed by their lack of ingenuity with how Laurel can be BC while Sara is still around just because this way feels unearned and destroyed most of her legitimacy on a meta level. In the show though, since they insist on that road, I hope KC can convince me of Laurel's motivations. Her grin while they were talking spoiled it for me because I just kept thinking "Why is her smile giving me flashbacks of the jacket scenes?" and as soon as I heard that voice, I realised she was going to die. 

I liked the rest of the episode and that is cheapened by its ending. In my head, Laurel is the Blegh Canary. She will inevitably be the watered down version. I was starting to like her too. Trying to keep an open but this is disheartening.

ETA: Did not read all the post and I really like Fakanary as a name for Laurel. Good job foreverevolving!!!!

Edited by fantique
  • Love 2

tumblr_nd5yf0olQe1tlogp0o1_500.gif

This empty handed gesture when Felicity left him was rather heavy handed with sorrow and emptiness that he felt that Felicity refused to wait for him till eternity and then two seconds later, he was off to see Barry with no sign of sadness. That was the quickest recovery time from a heartbreak.

• Love 9

So we've now got Blegh Canary, Fakanary and Blackmail Canary? That pretty much sums up my feelings on her.

I may have gotten up at 5 this morning so I could watch the episode before I went to college, but I'm not sure if the future episodes will get that much dedication. 

I was super glad that Diggle seemed to have a bigger role this episode, I loved his scenes with Lyla and the baby. Wasn't too happy that he conceded in the end to Oliver (though the hug was lovely.)

Felicity was a babe, as usual. I'm super glad that we got some scenes with Ray, it's nice to see her role expanding. Also, may have been squealing during the Olicity scenes, they were really lovely and cute. However, I am glad that she walked away from Oliver when he was being a bit of a knob.

Roy was barely in this episode, which is fine with me. I do hope they give him more to do besides look a bit broody though. 

The ending was absolutely awful. I really didn't believe it until I read the quotes from TPTB. I was totally preparing myself for it, but not yet. I'm not even the largest Sara fan, but I'm a bit pissed off with all the fridgeing in this show. I'm really not looking forward to the implications of this either. 

Edited by doesntworkonwood
  • Love 2

tumblr_nd5yf0olQe1tlogp0o1_500.gif

This empty handed gesture when Felicity left him was rather heavy handed with sorrow and emptiness that he felt that Felicity refused to wait for him till eternity and then two seconds later, he was off to see Barry with no sign of sadness. That was the quickest recovery time from a heartbreak.

Oliver - King of Compartalization and Emotion avoidance -Queen

This will hunt him, probably by next episode if what is being said is true. (but i don't really follow EP's interviews and stuff so..)

@doesntworkonwood umm... Fakanary. and there's a reason

Because when i say it in my head it sounds more like: Fuck-anary. Because i am done giving a Fuck about her royal fakeness. but i can't use the F word cause i am hoping to spread this web wide, so you know Fake/Fuck both work for me.

• Love 2

SA does do a great job in this episode. You could just see him retreating back into Arrow as the episode went on. 

EBR had some fantastic moments. It wasn't flashy but I think the date scene was some of her best work. She was funny and warm and awkward. The line about seeing him shirtless? Perfect delivery. I was thinking it was odd we didn't see his reaction to it, but I think she was so good the director didn't want to leave her. I shouldn't compare her and KC (because I'm totally biased), but KC deliveries seem so telegraphed in comparison. 

I'm not Roy's biggest fan, but I much prefer Colton to play slightly douche as opposed to this unemotional Roy.

David Ramsey is perfect.

• Love 4

Oliver is still awfully messed up, and I'm sure being with him in a relationship right now would involve dealing with a hot mess and sudden outbursts of man-pain.

He's also pretty apt to shut down these emotions and go into professional mode - which happened after the kiss and Barry's call.

I don't know what Oliver was expecting from Felicity in their last scene. He was telling her he really loves her but he cannot be with her - so what does he expect? That she'll wait and hope in vain?

Let's not kid, he's bound to comfort Laurel now... Naturally, neither Ollie nor Felicity could have known about this shocking revelation, but...

A sidenote: rooftops seem to be quite dangerous. I don't think our heroes should be meeting in such open spaces.