Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

I read somewhere that they want to hit that 300th episode mark.  That would take them mid-way through a season 14.  Of course, it's all just talk at this point.  It's funny, because as much as I lament the lack of good writing, I've really gotten used to this cast being around.  I'm going to be very sad when it finally ends.

• Love 2
Just now, MysteryGuest said:

I read somewhere that they want to hit that 300th episode mark.  That would take them mid-way through a season 14.  Of course, it's all just talk at this point.  It's funny, because as much as I lament the lack of good writing, I've really gotten used to this cast being around.  I'm going to be very sad when it finally ends.

I just want them to go out with aplomb and a good story.

• Love 1

Well, I was hoping for that this season, but so far, it's been kind of a mixed bag.  I'm hoping for better things when they come back from hiatus.  The ratings have been good this year though, and the show's gotten quite a bit of national attention, so good for them.  

Edited by MysteryGuest
17 hours ago, Trini said:

With the longevity of this show, I'm surprised they haven't tried harder to make a spin-off.

Well, their first attempt, "Bloodlines" was such a flop that they probably can't come up with an idea they think would be successful. Each season some of us think that some character (Krissy, Claire, Kate, etc) might be what they are thinking of, but none of those characters really scream spin-off.

Just now, FlickChick said:

Well, their first attempt, "Bloodlines" was such a flop that they probably can't come up with an idea they think would be successful. Each season some of us think that some character (Krissy, Claire, Kate, etc) might be what they are thinking of, but none of those characters really scream spin-off.

I could see them angling for a MoL spinoff. They can do it with Lady OhMyGodsDieNow , Mr Terribad Facial Hair and Mr. Ketch.

4 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I could see them angling for a MoL spinoff. They can do it with Lady OhMyGodsDieNow , Mr Terribad Facial Hair and Mr. Ketch.

Oh, I think Dabb would love it, but this girl wouldn't even tune in.

• Love 1

I would have liked a Crowley/Castiel Good Omen type spinoff. However, I think now it's too late.

I also really like the idea of a Jody/Donna spinoff. It would be kind of fun to have the leads be stationary between 2-3 towns and then have random Hunters come to them. I mean they'd have to live on a hellmouth but, I'd be OK with that.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I also really like the idea of a Jody/Donna spinoff. It would be kind of fun to have the leads be stationary between 2-3 towns and then have random Hunters come to them. I mean they'd have to live on a hellmouth but, I'd be OK with that.

It would be fun. Sadly, I see a lot of bashing of Kim and Brianna on SM over their Wayward AF campaigns. I'm not as convinced now that overall fandom is keen on them for a spinoff anymore.

I absolutely love Bobby and Rufus and Donna and Jody, but I don't see them ever having the longevity of the original.  They can plug them in during a regular SPN season at anytime, and I'd be happy, but I think people would grow tired of them pretty quickly on their own.

I still think they should do a spin off mini series each year. I'm not sure there's enough to tell of any of the side characters in a full 20-episode season, but they could do a mini series centered around one or two characters and each following one hunt each year. Six to ten episodes per series to run during various hiatuses. Jo and Ellen during the years they hunted together; One surrounding Kevin; Rufus/Bobby; Jodi/Donna...so very many possibilities. 

I will not stop harping on this idea. ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 4

I still think that, if they tweaked the timeline a bit, a young (early to mid-20's) Bobby and Rufus could work just as well as Sam and Dean did, as long as they found the right actors and delivered plenty of banter and an excellent story.  I know I'd love to see it!

• Love 2

I would, too... especially if they did it with a "This Is Us" kinda format somehow with switches between young Rufus and Bobby and older "Safe House" era and/or "Weekend at Bobby's" era Rufus and Bobby. Maybe they could finally tell the story of what happened to cause the rift between them where the timeline worked forward until they reached that point. And the starting point would be the possession of Bobby's wife and Rufus initiating Bobby into the supernatural world. With an event like that, it could have a similar beginning to the original series. We could also get backstory on how and why Rufus became a hunter, too.

• Love 4

I always found it strange that Riverdale got so much hype and yet they made it a mid-Season show. Norrmally, you put the newbies you find most promising in the fall and give the "maybe" ones the mid-Season slot. That said, all newbie shows this Season are a disaster ratings-wise. Personally, that just makes me hope my only two bubble shows will survive the year.  

I watched the Riverdale pilot, but not the second episode.

The show felt very dated IMO. Not because of its connection to Archie comics or because it was meant to be a bit retro, either. Anybody remember that WB show Popular from the late 1999s/early 2000s? Riverdale felt like an even more dated version of that.

Waiiiiiit, isn't Riverdale EP'ed by Kevin Williamson, who also was a writer or maybe even the showrunner for Popular? So I guess that would explain the similarity in tone. Although that makes the comparative dated-ness of Riverdale even more baffling.

I also thought that the characters just didn't have any spark. And even though the show was pretty, it didn't really have a very singular aesthetic. I don't even remember any of the songs, and none of the locations stood out much (except the lake). So there was no compelling reason for me to tune in for the second episode. Even though I didn't hate the first per se, just found it pretty meh.

So I kind of doubt that it's long for this world. Although who knows. The CW tends to give their shows a lot of slack, so we might get another half-season or so out of it even if it continues to do horribly.

I definitely think that they should switch SPN back to 9 and put Riverdale at 8, though. I understand that they're trying to create a solid lead-in for Riverdale by having SPN open for it, but Riverdale's arch tone and high school setting makes it seem like a much more teenager-y, 8 o'clock show than SPN is.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, rue721 said:

definitely think that they should switch SPN back to 9 and put Riverdale at 8, though. I understand that they're trying to create a solid lead-in for Riverdale by having SPN open for it, but Riverdale's arch tone and high school setting makes it seem like a much more teenager-y, 8 o'clock show than SPN is.

Riverdale is a Berlanti baby so I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon.  I think they should move LoT back in front of SPN and move Riverdale behind the Flash. I don't get why they ever paired Riverdale with SPN to begin with. 

Kevin Williamson is doing Scream on MTV and "Time After Time" on ABC. He's not attached to Riverdale.

Edited by catrox14
21 minutes ago, rue721 said:

The show felt very dated IMO. Not because of its connection to Archie comics or because it was meant to be a bit retro, either.

I was wondering what seemed strange about it to me, and this is a good description of what it was. Even as the show had the potentially "edgy" (maybe?) goings on like the female teacher having an affair with the male student and the school's apparently openly gay guy about to have an obvious sexual encounter with a football player (and I noted the amusing thing that of all the things they might be about to do kissing was the thing off the table) somehow the tone of the scenes of these goings on was almost somewhat "quaint." Thinking about it, that last scene I described above - where they also found the body - if it was on say Law & Order or something would've been full of foreboding music and tension where I would think "uh oh, something awful is about to happen" and/or "here comes the body." Instead, with the way the scene was set up as more quaint and/or amusing - or at least not tension-filled - I am a little chagrined to say that the appearance of the body was somewhat disappointing, because I would've been more interested in what the guy and the football player were going to be up to in all of its potentially awkward glory than the appearance of the dead body... which likely isn't what the show was going for.

22 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I don't get why they ever paired Riverdale with SPN to begin with. 

Me either. As I described above, the tone seems to be much different from the tone of Supernatural. Riverdale seems to be trying to be almost a light-hearted Twin Peaks, maybe? Whereas SPN often has a "heavier" feel and a darker edge - even to its humor - than that.

There isn`t really a show on the CW that fits really well with the tone of SPN but at least the genre shows like either the DC shows or the vampire-based ones are a bit closer than Riverdale.

That`s why they also seem to have so much trouble creating a spin-off - if they had one, they would pair it with the mother show for at least one year - SPN is an odd bird. If you take another hunting team and put it in the same universe, it`s too similar but if you stray too far from the formula, it no longer feels like they are connected too much. I`d have a hard time coming up with a spin-off idea, too.

Considering what the CW ordered to Pilot so far and what I believe they will order, IF it goes to show, I would bet dollars and donuts, they would pair it with the Charmed reboot next year. That seems like the closest match. Or hey, they could go crazy and pair it with the Dynasty reboot.  

Edited by Aeryn13

So this is my first post on this board. Hello all!

I'm a refugee from the soon to be defunct IMDb message board which is being closed down on the 20th February. I've posted about Supernatural there for 8 years so it will be a huge loss to me and to the community we have built. On the recommendation of some of our regulars who also post here, your forum has been suggested as a good place to try once our board goes. So here I am. 

I'm starting in the ratings thread as I am a huge ratings nerd. I do a weekly 'guess the ratings' competition there (which I'd be happy to do here if people were interested, but I don't want to tread on any toes) and have started a lot of threads discussing ratings. As I will probably be a regular contributor to the ratings discussions I thought I'd introduce myself here first.

Hello. My name is GG and I am a huge Supernatural fan! I'm British. I found the show on YouTube in 2009. I watched the scene where Sam dies in Dean's arms at the end of AHBL and I was hooked. I bought the DVDs of s1-4 and from s5 I watched live (ish as I'm in uk). I love Sam and Dean equally and I watch mainly for their wonderful chemistry and brotherly bond.

Hope to get to know you all in time. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MysteryGuest said:

Welcome Geordiegirl1967!  It's great to see our little show still doing so well in the ratings department after all these years, so I'm sure your input will be welcome.  

Thanks for the welcome.

Every year a crop of new shows come along; Nikita, Arrow, TVD, The Flash etc etc. And they start off like trains (well what passes for that at the CW) in the ratings. But by the end of every season Supernatural is up there in the top 3 or 4 shows, and 2 or 3 or 4 years down the road those shows ratings have dropped to below SPNs while we stay steady with a consistency of ratings any show would kill for. It's been very satisfying to watch.

• Love 2

As I said, I do a 'guess the ratings' game on another board. As it's going I am posting the ratings so far this season here just so I don't lose them. Hope that's ok.

S12 so far 

12.01 actual - 2.15m and 0.8 demo
12.02 actual - 1.61m and 0.6 demo
12.03 actual - 1.68m and 0.6 in demo
12.04 actual - 1.81 and 0.7 demo 
12.05 actual - 1.70m and 0.6 in demo
12.06 actual - 1.8m and 0.7 in the demo 
12.07 actual - 1.8m and 0.6 in demo 
12.08 actual - 1.73m and 0.6 in demo
12.09 actual - 1.72m and 0.6 in de
12.10 actual - 1.73m and 0.6 in demo 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Geordiegirl1967 said:

As I said, I do a 'guess the ratings' game on another board. As it's going I am posting the ratings so far this season here just so I don't lose them. Hope that's ok.

S12 so far 

12.01 actual - 2.15m and 0.8 demo
12.02 actual - 1.61m and 0.6 demo
12.03 actual - 1.68m and 0.6 in demo
12.04 actual - 1.81 and 0.7 demo 
12.05 actual - 1.70m and 0.6 in demo
12.06 actual - 1.8m and 0.7 in the demo 
12.07 actual - 1.8m and 0.6 in demo 
12.08 actual - 1.73m and 0.6 in demo
12.09 actual - 1.72m and 0.6 in de
12.10 actual - 1.73m and 0.6 in demo 

*claps delightedly*

I LOVE Data!!! (Hi, I'm SueB and I'm a math nerd).

• Love 1

Hi Geordiegirl, although I am a newbie on this board like you, I would like to play guess the ratings on this board if you started a thread for it, that is providing the "old timers" here would not object?  Difficult to know how long term members feel about bringing in stuff from elsewhere but everyone seems very friendly.

47 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

Welcome to any new members from your SPN mods; @SilverStormm and @CuriousParker.

Everyone is welcome here; please take a peek at our forum rules etc. We're fairly hands off because our SPN members are a good bunch. If you want to organise an official topic for playing Guess the Ratings or any other fun 'game', please visit our SPN Games subforum and start a new topic in there.

Thanks!

Thank you so much. I have done as you suggested and started a thread in the Games forum. Might be a bit last minute for this week but we will see how it goes.

So far I am finding it friendly here and the functionality of the board is WAY better than what I am used to.

Edited by Geordiegirl1967
  • Love 1

Arrow seems to have permanently lost some viewers late last Season, meanwhile LOT has significantly improved. As for SPN normally I don`t care much about the ratings of the show anymore but I was hoping this week to at least stay steady in demo, Shows always go down a bit when they come back from winter hiatus so a 0.5 might be on the horizon. Just don`t want it for this particular episode.   

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

As for SPN normally I don`t care much about the ratings of the show anymore but I was hoping this week to at least stay steady in demo, Shows always go down a bit when they come back from winter hiatus so a 0.5 might be on the horizon. Just don`t want it for this particular episode.   

I suspect that the show may experience a new series low of 0.5 sometime between now and the end of the season. The (unrounded) ratings for the three episodes, that have aired since the move to 8, have been 0.566 (12x09), 0.565 (12x10) and 0.565 (12x11). A remarkably steady set of ratings, but also dangerously close to the point where it'd be rounded down to 0.5! 

• Love 1