Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Jill Says Yes To The Dress

From TLC :

Michelle and the oldest Duggar girls are off to D.C. for a very special mother/daughters trip... it's time to buy Jill's wedding dress! Meanwhile, Jim Bob and John David take Derick and Ben on a guys' getaway to rock climbing and zip lining.

On the previews John David says "Ben & Derick have something to prove..." while they were doing the outdoor man "fellowship". JD is such an immature jerk who thinks because he is the older brother, he knows what's good for his sisters even tho he has never been in a relationship. It's hard to believe him and Derick are the same age. Remember how he gloated about being the head wedding car decorator. Yeah that's something you can put on your resume John David, if you even know what that is. Yuk-Yuk

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 12

Why did they have to go all the way to DC to look for a wedding dress? What's wrong with a larger town in Arkansas that's within the day? I doubt that Jill needed a Catherine Middleton wedding dress group to choose from anyway...So yet another trip was no big deal for this family, but they state that Michelle's siblings and family live too far away in North Carolina for her to ever see THEM? That's just a croc of bull-loney that I don't believe at all. Michelle has some serious family issues and they just don't want to say so, because that wouldn't be the way a truly Christian person would live...shunning her own blood family. Sorry, but that's my take on it.

• Love 12

It upsets me too that the Duggar girls can travel/go whenever because they don't have a job or school or other commitments like the rest of us heathens. Remember when Jessa needed help with her jurisdictions because her head was in the clouds with Ben when first courting? & they make "wedding planning" a full time job. OMG. Somehow the rest of us held down jobs & school while planning our weddings. I'm sure our weddings & receptions were nicer than the Duggar cheap "sweets/pickle fest".

• Love 5

I wonder if Kleinfeld's turned them down. Or TLC didn't want to pay for airfare and hotel rooms. The Duggars probably ended up driving to DC and staying at Josh and Anna's. DC is kind of a random place to go wedding dress shopping, especially when a major city like Chicago is a quick plane trip from Arkansas.

I did like Jill's dress, however I did think it needed to be tailored a little more snugly than what it was. She still looked nice though.

• Love 1

They had to go to D.C. to get the dress and to get advice from Josh and Anna on weddings since these two are experts when it comes to weddings, engagements, and starting a family don't ya know. And I am sure they and Jill and Derick will be more than happy to do the same thing for Ben and Jessa when the time comes.

Will Jill and Derrick actually say I do this season, or will TLC drag it out until next season? Jil's baby will be born before TLC shows the wedding. I'm over it

Seriously. Jill's approaching her second trimester and we haven't even gotten to the wedding yet. 

• Love 2

Free publicity for the place where she got the dress from, and I bet the dress was free.

I found the shop information back during the actual period of the wedding. The shop is in a DC exurb of VA. The shop owner showed up on a video or two that surfaced on YouTube, regarding the delivery of the dresses, which she supervised. She's a hugely devout Christian. I wonder if she contacted the Duggars somehow, or if they found the shop through some Christian business network? What's odd is that the line of dresses Jill eventually chose from had a MODEST version of the dress she chose that would have needed ZERO alterations. I guess it makes for more drama to choose a strapless dress that has to have a bodice built in so they can say, "LOOK AT HOW MODEST I AM!!!!!!" The modest version revealed no more than what Jill chose to reveal in the altered gown...and it would have been cheaper. Then again, with all the self-promotion the shop owner gave herself around the time of the wedding, I wonder if the shop will get any airtime, hence getting her even more business in exchange for a comped dress (alterations included, the woman who did that was attached to the shop and also very devout). I'll be looking/listening for signs and overt mentions naming the place.

• Love 3

They had to go to D.C. to get the dress and to get advice from Josh and Anna on weddings since these two are experts when it comes to weddings, engagements, and starting a family don't ya know. And I am sure they and Jill and Derick will be more than happy to do the same thing for Ben and Jessa when the time comes.

Yep cos anyone who's ever gotten married is an "expert" at weddings and wedding planning.

I'm looking more forward to episode showing MEchelle getting her I'M THE MOTHER OF THE BRIDE dress. We'll have to stay tuned to find out if she borrowed Kelly Bates' dress or if she bought a new/used version of same dress.

I'm looking more forward to episode showing MEchelle getting her I'M THE MOTHER OF THE BRIDE dress. We'll have to stay tuned to find out if she borrowed Kelly Bates' dress or if she bought a new/used version of same dress.

Mullet needs to get more than the dress from Kelly.  She needs some hair styling tips - BAD.  That mess needed and still needs some major work.  Just say no to the mullet!  Please!

• Love 4

Remember the dress was off the rack so the modest dress could have taken longer to get because it needed to be ordered.

The thing that puzzled me is that the shop caters to Christian brides. Why wasn't the "modest" version of Jill's dress in stock? She's likely a stock size to begin with so little to no alterations would have been needed. If not that modest dress, why not another? I am pretty sure they did it for the attention, because MODESTY!!!! just like ME Chelle and her horrid modesty bedspread panel. Kelly Bates wore the short version of the same dress with NO alterations! To TWO weddings! So yeah, it's strictly for show.

• Love 5

Why does any bride like this gown over another one? Maybe one was more comfortable or Derrick mentioned something and she thought he would like the one she bought over the ones available in the modesty line. There are dozens of reasons why this dress and not that one, even when dealing with very few choices that are appropriate. Out of all the weird things about the Duggars, selecting a dress and making relatively minor alterations is nothing. Better than the Bates' girls David's Bridal gown that looked like someone smoothed satin all down the front of it, or Anna's, which was a satin t-shirt with a long skirt.

• Love 6

This has been my opinion all along. I have only seen one episode in which some of her family appear. Nutchelle didn't seem excited to see them at all, nor did her family.

Nutchelle. Love it! Bahahaha! We have a plethora of names for her to choose from!

• Love 5

Webster's definition of modesty: 1) Freedom from conceit or vanity  2)  Propriety in dress, speech, or conduct. 

I'm sure #2 covers their main concern - showing parts of the body; however, there is way more to it than that and I have a feeling they don't get that.

• Love 2

Will Jill and Derrick actually say I do this season, or will TLC drag it out until next season? Jil's baby will be born before TLC shows the wedding. I'm over it

No kidding (no pun intended). How long can they drag this out?  If they're going to do these magazine stories they need to drop the whole "ooh ahh they're getting married!" story line.

Weren't the Duggars on Say Yes to the Dress? I think it was for the vow renewal? I seem to remember hearing something about it and afterwards Kleinfields said they would never have them on the show again. Does anyone else remember or am I remembering it wrong?

Yep they were. All the gazillion kids were there and they had to add a modesty panel for Michelle. And yes I've now officially embarrassed myself...

• Love 1

What?! Stop filming the wedding planning!!!  Perish the thought. How could we miss hearing Jill saying she is engaged, Michelle talking about her wedding, Jill telling Derick he is so awesome when he tells her he loves her, hearing Jill do her teenage giggling when she talks about Derick, the constant reminder of they are waiting to kiss until the ceremony, and Jim Bob telling us over and over again about the courting rules. Come on people. Work with me. I would be totally loss if they decided to go to Jill and Derick are married and are expecting a Duggar grandbabie without showing the wedding planning and ceremony. How can you be so cruel. *sarcasm* *whistles*

Jill won't even be finished writing the thank-you notes for her wedding gifts before she'll be writing them for the baby gifts. She IS writing thank-you notes, isn't she?

You are joking right?  She will have JanaSlave or JingerSlave do that stuff for her- OR MEchelle will have the littles do it as they do handwriting class.  Sorry, I meant Jana will do that with them.  MEchelle is busy making lists and scheduling. 

• Love 2

Since there is such a large gap of time between when the wedding happened and when this episode is airing, I'm not that interested in seeing the dress shopping. We already know what dress Jill wore and that it was ever so modest.

I believe the Duggar episode of Say Yes to the Dress is on Netflix streaming, if it's okay to mention this. My favorite part of the whole thing was the thinly veiled disgust of one of Kleinfeld's employees sitting in a chair outside of the dressing room while J-Chelle tried on the dress. She mentioned she had been working there for whatever number of years and had never encountered a bride who would not allow her into the dressing room while changing before.

I actually thought it was the lame the employees seemed so peeved that Michelle didn't want their assistance in the dressing room.

• Love 1

Robin from Sister Wives had a modest dress with long sleeves. I'm pretty sure they have a ton of those modest dress stores in Utah they could have gone to. Makes no sense to waste so much money getting a dress altered when a ready made could be available elsewhere. JMHO

Bigskygirl!! You forgot to mention the beautiful wedding cake that is a must see!!!!!!!!! Lopsided and all I have to see it. Yes it will make my day.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1

I'm glad they didn't go to Kleinfeld's.  I'm very tired of that store and don't like how they deal with the brides.  We don't live near there, but I'd never recommend a daughter shop there if we did.  I think it will be good to see how a different shop provides a bridal gown shopping experience.

• Love 2

All they would have had to do is go to a Goodwill. There are plenty of 80's style wedding gowns with full sleeves and turtlenecks on their racks. If you've ever seen the movie Beetlejuice, picture Barbara's dress in the scene where Lotho summons them with the Book for the Recently Deceased.

Even though I am guessing Jill got her dress for free, I do not really understand why she bought the not modest one just to have it altered when there was a modest version of the exact same dress which was probably her size because sample dresses are tiny (or so I hear). That kind of crap makes no sense to me.

• Love 5

She bought off the rack from what was in the store.  They don't carry every dress in every style in the store even as samples.  Also even if they had the modest sample it could have been damaged or stained or otherwise not wearable.

• Love 1

I am still of the opinion that Jill was a small boned, thin petite girl and her wedding gown seemed "heavy" for her to wear and just not a summer fabric for a wedding in June in Arkansas. Also, there was no reason they couldn't have shopped at a bridal shop which catered to religious groups who require a "modest" wedding dress from the start. No building a top on the dress needed, just some "tucks' to fit perfectly. I didn't think that Jill's dress fit her perfectly as it seemed loose on her torso to me. If compared to Anna's t-shirt wedding dress disaster, she could have done worse than she did.

• Love 4

because sample dresses are tiny (or so I hear).

Wedding dresses might be different.

I was very small when I bought my dress and they used giant binder clips to hold all the dresses on me while I tried them on, and then ordered one in that fit me.  My sister and I joked that both of us could try on the dresses at the same time- we would have both fit in.

It seemed like the boutiques I went to all carried only 1 size of each dress, so it had to fit pretty much anyone who came into the store. (I ended up buying at David's Bridal- where you can try on your own size, but even then they recommend ordering one size smaller because the samples had been stretched out by frequent trying on.)

I'm guessing Jill did not get the modest dress because she didn't have time to order it in. Getting the alterations done may have been possible on the shorter timeline.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 1

Not looking forward to the "male bonding" coming up in tonight's episode. You know Jim Bob and John David are going to be massive jerks to the much more fit Ben (Seewald, for those of you who may know another Ben on the show) and Derick. 

• Love 3

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the episode and Jill's upcoming dress shopping.  But please take discussion of the 19 Kids Kleinfeld's episode and/or talk about how Kleinfeld's and other bridal shops operate, elsewhere.  I don't know that we have a specific thread for that episode, because it was an episode of SYYTTD technically.  So there might be a thread on that forum.  If not, I'm open to starting one here if someone wants to.

You could discuss Kleinfeld's and their operations in the SYTTD forums. 

Thanks.

Yeah, why not support a local business?

Because, more than likely, the local business wouldn't be able to give the dress and alterations away for free.  And Jim-Bob knew it.  And a little bitty store somewhere in Sticksville AR wouldn't benefit from all the national publicity either.  Besides it was a good excuse to go to Washington.  If Josh doesn't see his Momma and Daddy every other week, he'll start crying again...  Good grief.  THIS is what happens when you keep your children so sheltered and protected for 25 years!!

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 2

Since this is clearly something y'all want to talk about, I'm going to start a thread specifically for that episode of SYTTD in THIS forum.  I think it's OK even though it's another show, you guys will only be talking about the Duggars' part of the episode anyway.  So look for all the posts about the Duggar Kleinfeld experience there.  Thanks.

• Love 2