Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Jill Says Yes To The Dress

I am just so over this.  Show the damn wedding already!  IIRC, when Smuggar got married they managed to get the wedding special on the air within a week or two, long before Anna got knocked up.  At this rate, Jill will be pregnant with #2 by the time the VSE airs.

And are we going to have everything repeated, ad nauseam, for Jessa?  We get it, Duggars.  You are special snowflakes who don't kiss before the wedding and the rest of us are godless heathens.  Ugh.

• Love 8

I am just so over this.  Show the damn wedding already!  

TLC- you need to listen.  We are over this crap.  We know who Jill is engaged to.  We know they are having a baby.  We know Jessa is engaged and her wedding is set for Nov. 1.  We can see the pics online and read all the pathetic crap.  Catch up.  Maybe you need to hire some new editors. 

• Love 5

The show is probably bigger now than it was back when Josh married in 2008, and Duggar daughters dating probably draw more eyeballs than a son's courtship, so there's more money in milking all the wedding stuff over the course of a season vs. a one-time special. 

• Love 2

My job is a professional editor.  OMG I would LOVE to do this show.  I constantly think of where I would cut and what scenes I could do that would be so SWEET and NEAT that people never get to see.  

I'm sure MEchelle and Boob have a contract ensuring that they do not look SO bad. (in their eyes at least)

That would be hard for me. Would love to have some of that raw footage to play with.

• Love 4

WHY does Boob keep referring to Derrik and Ben as becoming Duggars? His daughters are becoming members of their husband's family and taking THEIR names. You are NOT gaining another peon for your family "businesses". Your daughters are leaving you to start lives of their own with men who will be heads of their own households. Remember Boob, you are GIVING AWAY the bride, not accepting the hand of the groom.

It's like they're joining a cult when they marry a Duggar girl. You marry the entire family. It's almost like the bridegrom loses his own identity and is forced to succumb to being a Duggar for life...like a cult member. Creepy, huh?

• Love 4
When Derick said he would have to catch Boob if he fell to show he could take care of a family, all I was thinking if that was me, I would just say OOps & let Boob roll past me.

Best visual ever.

She is getting married??? Who is she marrying?    LOL

Derick DILLARD. Not to be confused with all the other Dericks of the world.

Josiah's been at ALERT programming camp pretty much all year, with a couple of 2-week breaks in between "tours." I think they let him out for Jill's wedding, but I know he spent his 18th birthday there. Poor guy. Talk about forgotten...

They aught to send JD there-permanently! 

FWIW, it was a Duggar episode that crossed over to SYTTD, not the other way around. I wouldn't have seen it had it been the latter. :)

SYTTWU. (Say Yes to the White Undershirt.)

• Love 5

What the hell did Josiah do to have to be at ALERT camp that effin' long? Josiah just doesn't seem the type to want to go to this kind of camp willingly.  OR maybe he opts to go to the camp just to get away from that carnival sideshow that are his family.

TLC- you need to listen.  We are over this crap.  We know who Jill is engaged to.  We know they are having a baby.  We know Jessa is engaged and her wedding is set for Nov. 1.  We can see the pics online and read all the pathetic crap.  Catch up.  Maybe you need to hire some new editors. 

Yes! The show has been super boring recently, lots of filler and lots of FF by me.

• Love 1
John David: "Please tell my right hand that I love it.  It's the only thing that ever gave me attention and unconditional love."

Are they officially courting?

I think so.  John D gave has given away a piece of his heart...and then some.

• Love 2

What the hell did Josiah do to have to be at ALERT camp that effin' long? Josiah just doesn't seem the type to want to go to this kind of camp willingly.  OR maybe he opts to go to the camp just to get away from that carnival sideshow that are his family.

Does ALERT give them any skills they can use to make a living? 

Does ALERT give them any skills they can use to make a living?

I have no idea.  Maybe they train them to be volunteer constables like John D., or blowhards for a hate group, like Smuggar.  I've not a clue.  It looked like some kind of post-apocalyptic survival group. 

• Love 1

Isn't Josiah 18? They can only send him to ALERT so many times before he says "Screw this." I've often wondered if any of the tv crew would be willing to help a Duggar escape. Josiah seems like a likely candidate. Would be great to see a Duggar other than Amy living a more "normal" life.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 2

I know Amy is a Duggar by name....but she's still not one of the blessed 19 that Michelle delivered all by herself! So I don't consider Amy being one of the clan, really. She's religious and all (I think) but not fundie.

I'd love to see a Duggar escape from the family compound, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if any of their film crew were involved.

Is ALERT like some super religious boyscouts type situation? Why would you send an 18 year old man there? That is silly.

I am just so over this.  Show the damn wedding already!  IIRC, when Smuggar got married they managed to get the wedding special on the air within a week or two, long before Anna got knocked up.  At this rate, Jill will be pregnant with #2 by the time the VSE airs.

And are we going to have everything repeated, ad nauseam, for Jessa?  We get it, Duggars.  You are special snowflakes who don't kiss before the wedding and the rest of us are godless heathens.  Ugh.

But when Josh got married Michelle was still producing her own blessings so Josh's wedding were just filler for that storyline.  Now that it seems clear Michelle won't be having more children they need to draw everything out as much as possible to keep the show going for as long as they can manage it.  I'd bet the wedding will air at the end of this season and we still have six months before Jill has Baby Dilly.  Next season will probably be a mix of more wedding and Jill being pregnant.  I would assume Baby Dilly will be a VSE since that's what they did for Mack and Michael and possibly Marcus (can't remember).

I get the impression that ALERT is a means of keeping wayward or potentially wayward Duggar boys in line. I hope Josiah wakes up, realizes he's close to the almost married Bin's age, and starts asserting himself. Despite what will be an enormous effort, JB will not be able to keep an iron grip on 19 offspring forever.

• Love 2

It's kind of sad to me, in a way, that the kids haven't combined forces to realize that they could basically stage a mutiny type scenario, then virtually do whatever they wanted. I mean, it'd be what, JimBob and Michelle vs everyone else? They wouldn't stand a chance. Too bad that it seems as though none of the kids (or at least not enough of them) have figured this out. Or they're very poorly organized.

• Love 4

What was the purpose of the guys going camping? Was it another one of those "tests" that they seem so fond of subjecting Ben and Derick to? If so, it's completely ridiculous and unnecessary. Also, if I had to go camping with JimBob and John David I think I'd probably hightail it further into the woods with my gear and try to lose them.

Jim Bob said the camping trip was a day away for the boys and time to see whether Ben and Derick are up to "becoming Duggars."  The moment he said that, I thought "Hey Boob, the boys are not becoming Duggars.  You're losing daughters, not gaining sons.  Although it does appear that you have acquired some additional free labor with the acquisition of Ben.  And don't you remember, once the females are married off they become their husbands' property and you, as Dad, are completely out..."  Of course we will actually see if this control freak can live with that.

• Love 3

ALERT seems to be a re-indoctrination boot camp.  Any boy who shows signs of rebellion gets sent there- a masculine version of Journey to the Heart.  Poor Josiah- he is so over everything.  Wish he could escape.  Sadly, even though he is over 18 he is basically uneducated.  It would be a tough road for him.

• Love 2

Oh, is Jill getting married? They hadn't mentioned it...

Gotta love my husband. He could care less about the reality shows I watch (Duggars, Housewives, Little Couple etc) & doesn't have a clue what's going on with them. He just came in the room & I jokingly said to him he had to check out the Duggar Family Website. He replied in all seriousness "I hear one of them is getting married"
  • Love 3

Jim Bob said the camping trip was a day away for the boys and time to see whether Ben and Derick are up to "becoming Duggars."

How long was this camping trip? It was at least a couple of days wasn't it? How can Derick swing this? He just started a new job and has already taken time off for a wedding and honeymoon (or at that time was planning to take time off)?

I hope that Derick hasn't been seduced by the TLC cash and the comped rings, dresses, trips, etc. It would be really sad if he left his job to devote his time to the dog and pony show.

I remember when Joe graduated from the boot camp phase of ALERT, Jim Bob asked him if he was ready to come home or sign up for more and Joe said he was ready to come home.  Not sure if Josiah got a option or if Jim Bob just signed him up for more.   

How long was this camping trip? It was at least a couple of days wasn't it? How can Derick swing this? He just started a new job and has already taken time off for a wedding and honeymoon (or at that time was planning to take time off)?

I hope that Derick hasn't been seduced by the TLC cash and the comped rings, dresses, trips, etc. It would be really sad if he left his job to devote his time to the dog and pony show.

I didn't get the sense it was a long trip. It seems like it took a while to drive there as it was dark by the time they arrived, though they seemed to have smores that night. The activities they did were a few hours max. I can see driving on Friday after Derick is done work, hanging out rocking climbing, zip lining etc. on Saturday and heading back Saturday night or Sunday with plenty of time for Derick to be at work.

I'll second that -- I hope Derick stays with Walmart for a long while. I read an interview that he gave in college that said it was his "dream job" to work for Walmart or another Fortune 500, so I hope he sticks with that. Though I don't know. Even now Jill was making comments about how they are apart "too much" because he's at work -- likely because she's only around males who come and go as they please, so she doesn't get the concept of an 8 hr day with a commute. Josh will likely head back to Arkansas eventually -- with both him and JD having businesses and perhaps an eventual business for Joseph, Josiah, and another brother in law or two -- I really think JB and Jill will try to convince Derick to come on board as a Chief Accounting Officer or CFO for a family holding company. Time will tell what he does. He seems "worldy" enough to realize he probably doesn't want to be beholden to that family. And also to realize that things like good health insurance and 401ks are important, so hopefully he sticks with having his own job. Though I can see him being lured -- a family business means he can come and go, not so much about his work day but I could see him getting interested if it means he and Jill can take off on a 2 month or 2 yr mission here or there -- that's something that's very hard to do when working for a private employer.

I think JimBoob's comment about Derick and Bin "becoming Duggars" is downright scary. He chose these guys carefully, apparently because he thought they'd bend to his will. So far he's right. I hope other young fundie men considering contacting JB about courting a Duggar daughter take a good, hard, unvarnished look at what they'd be getting into because JB is the potential controlling father-in-law from hell.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 1

I think JimBoob's comment about Derick and Bin "becoming Duggars" is downright scary. He chose these guys carefully, apparently because he thought they'd bend to his will. So far he's right. I hope other young fundie men considering contacting JB about courting a Duggar daughter take a good, hard, unvarnished look at what they'd be getting into because JB is the potential controlling father-in-law from hell.

I hope this is just Jim Bob being jokey. I think sometimes he is joking and comes across the wrong way. But then I think of the indentured servitude poor, hapless Ben is under, and I wonder.

On another note, I feel for Josiah. He seems like a really nice kid. Why can't his parents look at someone like Derick and see that allowing higher education does not mean renouncing your faith? I'd love to see Josiah just be able to get a college degree if he likes and be able to have his own income, marry if he chooses to when he feels ready, etc. You would think with Derick around, with Derick being allowed to MARRY their DAUGHTER, that Jim Bob and Michelle would see that there is middle ground between Gothard Fundy and Leftist Liberal Atheist, (or whatever label their greatest fear involves).

Michelle is stoopid so is Jessa hence why MEchelle has the hots for Bin. No I don't think she can see that an education brings success because she has been isolated for so long and Boob has been successful with all his business ventures she thinks that every man can.

The best thing for me about Josiah being at ALERT is that he is allowed to be away from the krazy and is making his own friends unlike any of his other brothers and sisters.

If Boob gets the used car lot back up and running I can see Bin running it, JD doing the towing and Josiah helping with the office work/accounting. It would make sense since Bin is not get your hands dirty kind of guy.

• Love 1

One thing I don't see, but I could be wrong, of course, is Jim Bob offering Derick a job as his Duggar Family Accountant. Being that he isn't a blood relative, I don't think JB would want Derick to know the actual numbers of what he's worth.

• Love 1

Being that he isn't a blood relative, I don't think JB would want Derick to know the actual numbers of what he's worth.

Somehow I have a feeling that Jim Bob may use a lot of "creative accounting" while filing his tax returns.  I wouldn't be surprised if Derick would be uncomfortable with this practice.  

Edited by 3 is enough

It's kind of sad to me, in a way, that the kids haven't combined forces to realize that they could basically stage a mutiny type scenario, then virtually do whatever they wanted. I mean, it'd be what, JimBob and Michelle vs everyone else? They wouldn't stand a chance. Too bad that it seems as though none of the kids (or at least not enough of them) have figured this out. Or they're very poorly organized.

Someone speculated before that if any of the kids flew this circus, Boob & MEchelle would make it that they wouldn't be able to come back & see their siblings & be permanently shunned from the family. Since the J'slaves have raised the younger ones as their own, this would be terribly hard.
  • Love 1
What was the purpose of the guys going camping? Was it another one of those "tests" that they seem so fond of subjecting Ben and Derick to? If so, it's completely ridiculous and unnecessary. Also, if I had to go camping with JimBob and John David I think I'd probably hightail it further into the woods with my gear and try to lose them.

You know watching JimBob push both of the guys around made me think not only is he doing this to be a jerk but he's relieving his high school days when he was the one being pushed around. Look at me, now I'm the one pushing boys around. I'm the one making a college boy jump through hoops. It really is no different then him bragging about knocking up his wife nineteen times. He never has and never will get over his need to prove how tough he is or how better he is. JimBob, your not coming off as tough, your coming off as an ass who still hasn't grown up and gotten over your high school days. 

• Love 9

Yes, if Derrick is ultimately interested remaining at WalMart - and it feels like he is - he needs to be careful.  IIRC, Jon Gosselin was canned at his IT job because of "frequent absences" due to their show.

• Love 3

Jill thanked the dress store owner for giving her the "princess" treatment. Umm being in a back room getting some makeup on and standing in front of a big mirror is not a "princess" treatment to me. 

No one asked her to cook, clean, or change a diaper. She probably did feel like a princess.

• Love 11
I'm hoping that Jill has a special bedroom set up in her new home just for Joy to use when she wants to come over and spend time.

With two beds. One for Joy and one for Jenny. The two babies that Jill had no choice in raising because her mother wouldn't.  I know that Jill also raised a boy (one of the twins?), but the boys don't seem to have many fucks to give when it comes to whichever sister raised them. As long as they all do the laundry and fix their meals for them. The girls bonded with their a mother figure more, most likely because they shared a bedroom and a bed.

I would assume Baby Dilly will be a VSE since that's what they did for Mack and Michael and possibly Marcus (can't remember).

Yeah, he had one, too. Remember, Michael was born at home, in the toilet. and Marcus was born at the midwife's home/office (?). Remember the car ride, with Anna in labor, where Michelle looked annoyed and jealous as hell that her daughter-in-law was having a baby and not her?

• Love 3

Yeah, he had one, too. Remember, Michael was born at home, in the toilet. 

LOL- I keep hearing everyone mention this episode.  I haven't seen it.  I'll check on Netflix.  Anyone know what season?  

I keep picturing kids on the playground making fun of him "Michael was born in a toilet" - but then I remembered that most likely he will never be able to interact with children on a school playground.  

• Love 1

Jessa's old-timey suitcase bugs the shit out of me. However, if it was say, Jana's, I think I would find it endearing.  I guess its just a general feeling:  Jessa bugs the shit out of me. Her suitcase just happened to catch my eye and is the recipient of the hate.

• Love 4

Yeah, he had one, too. Remember, Michael was born at home, in the toilet. and Marcus was born at the midwife's home/office (?). Remember the car ride, with Anna in labor, where Michelle looked annoyed and jealous as hell that her daughter-in-law was having a baby and not her?

I could never forget the toilet birth.  I knew Marcus' birth was filmed but I couldn't remember if it was a VSE or just part of the season.  Michelle has looked pissed off at all of Anna's births.

ALERT seems to be a re-indoctrination boot camp.  Any boy who shows signs of rebellion gets sent there- a masculine version of Journey to the Heart.  Poor Josiah- he is so over everything.  Wish he could escape.  Sadly, even though he is over 18 he is basically uneducated.  It would be a tough road for him.

I can only hope that Josiah finds a friend in a really rebellious attendee and they both realize they're 18 and, legally, adults.  Then they just bust outta there and live a truly normal life.  Unfortunately, we know that will never happen...

• Love 1

What was up with Jana's lackluster acceptance of being the maid of honor?

The shot felt staged to me, so I was guessing it was a "reenactment". I have a feeling they already had their sister squealy moment privately.