Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Plastic Surgery Week

• Start Topic

doctor-odyssey-episode-3.jpg

Plastic Surgery Week on The Odyssey brings new faces and fresh features to be carefully maintained by the medical team. Meanwhile, when the owner’s wife comes on board, Capt. Massey must juggle charm and skillful dodging to sidestep her advances.

Premiere Date: Thursday, October 10, 2024    ABC   9 pm

doctor-odyssey-episode-3b.jpg

Gina Gershon as Cruise Ship Owner's wife

doctor-odyssey-episode-3e.jpg

Justin Jedlica

This show needs to figure out what it is.  They throw in dramatic moments like the doc's connection to Ken, but then they have ridiculous stuff like last week's man whore and Tristan's mom's dangling bags of pus, like a pair of demented earrings.

Moody Tristan staring out at the ocean showing exquisite man pain does not match up well with the randy cruise owner's wife who is worried about losing her personal shopper.

• Like 7

I had never heard of Justin Jedlica, and I wasn't sure if that was his real face, so I looked him up.  He spent over $1 million on plastic surgery.  That's too bad. 

I'm sick of the doctor and male nurse fawning over Avery.  I thought that Don Johnson was the star of the show, but he only appears for about two minutes at the beginning of each episode, which is a bummer. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

In the previews Gina Gershon was standing next to her bed in her underwear. I didn't see that in the show. Everything that happens in the show is so random and only for shock value, there ready isn't any cohesive story.

• Like 6

Bad start for me. The previously on segment leaned hard into the love triangle. I guess that I'll continue watching weekend. 

First line of the recap, from the captain: "Doctor, this ship is heaven."

Later, from the male nurse to the doctor: "Sleeping with a subordinate? Of course it's wrong. It's 2024 - have you been in one of those cryopods for the last 5 years?"

Way to be subtle, writers...

• Like 2

This is such a weird show.  It could have been good.  A Love Boat-esque show with a Ryan Murphy flair?  And yet it is so not good.  I kept watching because it was so bad yet so mockable, but while it's still bad, it's not quite as mockable. 

Did anyone get vibes from Ken and the doc?  As hard as I found Ken to look at, I kind of wanted them to make out. 

Is Avery going to kiss one of them every week?  Is next week Tristan's turn again?

And why was Avery so snitty to her boss?  She wants the company's scholarship yet has to take such a strong stand against common medical procedures that she's willing to blow her opportunity to be a doctor? 

4 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I thought that Don Johnson was the star of the show, but he only appears for about two minutes at the beginning of each episode, which is a bummer. 

Joshua Jackson is the star of the show.  Don Johnson is the "and" credit.  I did expect more from him, though, since Gina Gershon apparently had a crush on his character.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

Later, from the male nurse to the doctor: "Sleeping with a subordinate? Of course it's wrong. It's 2024 - have you been in one of those cryopods for the last 5 years?"

At this point I now see the theory in every scene. With the 5 year comment I had convinced myself that it seemed like a post production punch in  as the show went all in with the Tommy-dream premise. Even before the medical bros deciding to make peace we had the owner sexually harassing her ship's captain. I get that getting that gig is a lifetime dream  but it seems more likely to end in Captain/owner as a settlement in this day and age.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And why was Avery so snitty to her boss?  She wants the company's scholarship yet has to take such a strong stand against common medical procedures that she's willing to blow her opportunity to be a doctor? 

She needs to understand that for many of the recovering patients on that cruise, it was their choice to have plastic surgery.  Some of them may have body dysmorphic disorder, but many of them simply wanted new boobs or a nose job, etc.   It wasn't that complicated for most of them.  However, for those who have BDD, I agree that a surgeon should be very careful with how they handle that situation, but Avery needed to get off of her high horse over it.  If she wanted to make a difference, she could've spoken to some of them and if appropriate, steer the conversation into her concerns over plastic surgery & their wellbeing.  

5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Did anyone get vibes from Ken and the doc? 

I think Ken definitely had the feels for the doc.  With a few drinks, I think the Doc would've reciprocated!

This show is highly snarkable!  Having all 3 of them (wearing sunglasses indoors too) wheeling the dead body around the ship was dumb!  If I saw that happening, my first thought would be 'what are they hiding?'  I doubt that the folks who clean the cabins wheel their carts through the pool area either.  

The medical facilities seem much too modern and big for this size ship.  This episode was rather depressing. 

• Like 5

I think this show really WANTS to be something but it just hasn’t figured out what yet.     I am trying to think back to the early days of 911 and what I thought about that show and thinks This show wants to be the high seas version of that but it is getting lost in a boring romance plot when it could be focusing on whatever weird week is going on this week.      I am curious if the show will do a gay week.  A bunch of high income gays/lesbians written by RM would be a hoot.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I think this show really WANTS to be something but it just hasn’t figured out what yet.     I am trying to think back to the early days of 911 and what I thought about that show and thinks This show wants to be the high seas version of that but it is getting lost in a boring romance plot when it could be focusing on whatever weird week is going on this week.  

That's pretty much where I stand. The premise has definite potential but this thing they've got going on between Max and Avery is a huge mistake. It might have been something they could explore down the road, more organically, but instead they jumped into bed together right out of the gate and it doesn't make any sense, nor is it interesting in any way, and it makes me not like either of the characters. I don't know what the writers were thinking going there.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That's pretty much where I stand. The premise has definite potential but this thing they've got going on between Max and Avery is a huge mistake. It might have been something they could explore down the road, more organically, but instead they jumped into bed together right out of the gate and it doesn't make any sense, nor is it interesting in any way, and it makes me not like either of the characters. I don't know what the writers were thinking going there.

Since the captain already warned him off it comes off as a power play. They can work anywhere and the ship needs them more than they need the ship.

21 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

I've seen speculation online that this is like Lost and everyone on board is dead/in purgatory or this whole thing is a dream as Max is still in a Covid coma. Either one makes more sense to me than the premise that this is a real ship and we're watching things in real time.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I can't stand Avery. If she was gone things would be a bit better. I agree this show doesn't seem to know what it wants to be.

I felt bad for Tristan with his Mom though. Tristan and Max becoming BFF is something I would watch. 

Next week is make or break it for me. I read they are doing a Halloween cruise episode so I guess I'll stick around for that as well. I love Holiday themed episodes of TV shows.

• Like 5
On 10/10/2024 at 9:04 PM, Crashcourse said:

I had never heard of Justin Jedlica, and I wasn't sure if that was his real face, so I looked him up.  He spent over $1 million on plastic surgery.  That's too bad. 

I'm sick of the doctor and male nurse fawning over Avery.  I thought that Don Johnson was the star of the show, but he only appears for about two minutes at the beginning of each episode, which is a bummer. 

Omg...I looked "ken" up as well. Blech...at some point you need to be somewhat happy with your self. I was SHOCKED...that the actor playing Ken was that fucked up lol

• Like 1

Is it just me, or is Gina Gershon slowly morphing into Raquel Welch? 

I realize Doctor Odyssey is not a good show.  I also realize they aren't trying for realism.  Having said that, if my nose fell off during a cruise, that's my last day on the boat.  I'm getting off at the next port and flying back to wherever I came from so my nose could be reattached.  I'm not going to stick it out until the end of the cruise because it is horrifying to know my nose is not on my face.     

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
On 10/10/2024 at 10:04 PM, Crashcourse said:

Unfortunately, I know of him from "Botched" on the E! Channel. He's...a lot.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I spent the whole episode trying to remember where I knew her from. She's been in a lot of things but nothing that really stood out to me. Maybe it is just that she looks a lot like Raquel Welch. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I spent the whole episode trying to remember where I knew her from. She's been in a lot of things but nothing that really stood out to me. Maybe it is just that she looks a lot like Raquel Welch. 

What is Showgirls?

She played the star standing in Elizabeth Berkley's way.

15 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I realize Doctor Odyssey is not a good show.  I also realize they aren't trying for realism.  Having said that, if my nose fell off during a cruise, that's my last day on the boat.  I'm getting off at the next port and flying back to wherever I came from so my nose could be reattached.  I'm not going to stick it out until the end of the cruise because it is horrifying to know my nose is not on my face.     

Presumably you are also smart enough not to be snorting coke up your recently attached nose. Even if you didn't realize that it would dissolve the nose, it would hurt like hell.

Speaking of noses... that guy pulling surgical packing out of his nose in the elevator was disgusting and for shock value only. Cheap trick.

I've seen speculation online that this is like Lost and everyone on board is dead/in purgatory or this whole thing is a dream as Max is still in a Covid coma. Either one makes more sense to me than the premise that this is a real ship and we're watching things in real time.

I thought that too. It's Ryan Murphy. There should be a portal to hell or a coven or something... but really I think it's just bad tv. It gets worse every episode. I guess even in death, we are all still dissatisfied with our appearance and need/want painful plastic surgery. That doesn't seem fair...

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Speaking of noses... that guy pulling surgical packing out of his nose in the elevator was disgusting and for shock value only. Cheap trick.

At that point I thought he was a ship's magician 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Were all these people supposed to be patients of Gina Gershon ? If they normally have cruises for people fresh out of plastic surgery, shouldn’t they have more medical staff standing by? I didn’t understand the Ken doll guy playing himself yet dead. And what was with the flirting with the doctor and the sad music while he was doing his nighttime routine? This show is bad.

• Like 1

Im old. I’ve seen a lot of bad tv. And don’t get me started on how they ended “Lost”. I’m still annoyed about that! 

Anyway, we’ve been watching this. I’ve been a fan of Joshua Jackson since his “The Mighty Ducks” days, not to mention how much I loved him as Peter Bishop on “Fringe”.

I am finding this show to be an odd mix, just like most of you have said. In fact, last night when Ken was being resuscitated, my husband said “Well we know he’s not going to die, it’s not that kind of show”.  I believed that this show would have someone die aboard ship, and they did.  I do find it strange that the actor basically portrayed himself, and died on the show. 

I will definitely continue to watch this show until it dies a slow death, or has the plug pulled on it by the network. 

We totally thought it was Raquel Welch! But then I thought that she looked younger than the last time I saw her in something, so I looked it up online only to find out that she died last year. 😕 Even when she was still alive, I always commented that either she won the Good Genes lottery, or she has an excellent plastic surgeon. 

I’m not a fan of the three main characters being in a love triangle, and that it started so soon n the series, but that’s my only complaint, for the most part. 

I will keep watching, pretending that Peter Bishop is now a doctor on an ultra-luxury cruise ship/yacht. I can overlook everything else! 😍

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Raja said:

No she was the wife/business partner of the ship's owner

I know that but she also mentioned taking care of her important clients so I assumed she had something to do with plastic surgery. I suppose she meant cruise clients but what doctors would recommend people freshly out of surgery to go on a ship with limited medical facilities. I know they do everything but brain surgery here but really cruise ships don’t do anything like that-they either drop you at port or airlift you out.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I know that but she also mentioned taking care of her important clients so I assumed she had something to do with plastic surgery. I suppose she meant cruise clients but what doctors would recommend people freshly out of surgery to go on a ship with limited medical facilities. I know they do everything but brain surgery here but really cruise ships don’t do anything like that-they either drop you at port or airlift you out.

When they were talking about her shopper's case with the breast implants I just went with they are ignoring confidentiality. 

22 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Haha, I wondered who else would ask.  It’s the hair and the chest.

Why am I still watching this trainwreck?

If mom was diagnosed with Huntington's Disease, why didn't any of the medical professionals including Tristan bring up the subject that he might get tested himself as it is a 50% chance that he might have it since his mom has it.

Edited by nilyank
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Were all these people supposed to be patients of Gina Gershon ? If they normally have cruises for people fresh out of plastic surgery, shouldn’t they have more medical staff standing by? I didn’t understand the Ken doll guy playing himself yet dead. And what was with the flirting with the doctor and the sad music while he was doing his nighttime routine? This show is bad.

I thought the sad music indicated that he committed suicide.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Attatude said:

Why am I still watching this trainwreck?

Because it's so snarkable!!  😁

7 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I thought the sad music indicated that he committed suicide.

It was very somber & eerie music, and since he died from sepsis shortly thereafter, I was thinking that the price for holding onto beauty/youth can be very high.  

• Like 5

This whole episode was just bizarre.  I know it's Ryan Murphy and we are supposed to expect weird things with Ryan Murphy but this was just beyond weird.

I had no idea who this human Ken was.  I kept telling myself that it must be CGI or makeup, since nobody could look that strange.  Then I googled after the show.  Yikes.

Max's obsession with him was really odd.  I get the explanation that he was in a Covid unit and watched the show every day.  But he is fawning over the guy?  Who at the same time is obviously gay and basically propositioned Max and got them to get naked together in the cryo chamber room?  Either it was written as "Max is oblivious to Ken's intentions" or "Max is 100% straight and just had sex with Avery but is willing to give it a try because he is obsessed with Ken", but whatever it was, I found it to be something thrown in for shock value, trying to make the viewers wonder if Max was going to give in to Ken.  Only in a Ryan Murphy show...

On 10/12/2024 at 12:09 AM, txhorns79 said:

If I hadn't read on this board that Gina Gershon was going to guest star, I think I would have thought it WAS Raquel Welch.  The mannerisms, the hair, the chest, seemed like that was the look she was going for.

I thought she looked bad, like she herself is her clinic's #1 patient.  The lips especially.

On 10/12/2024 at 7:50 PM, Madding crowd said:

On 10/12/2024 at 8:14 PM, Raja said:

No she was the wife/business partner of the ship's owner

I am pretty sure she owned a high-end plastic surgery clinic, I thought that was mentioned when Don Johnson (still don't know his character's name) and the medical team were on the balcony as she made her grand entrance.  Once a year, she books out the entire cruise for her best patients of the clinic.

I didn't understand why the show wasted so much time on Ken's nighttime beauty routine.  It didn't even strike me that he committed suicide.  I thought it was the condition he had that was putting him at health risk that finally caught up to him.

Edited by blackwing
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, buttersister said:

Suicide or premonition, it appeared to me that he was grooming to be found dead.

They said the sepsis killed him, so maybe he had a premonition that he was worse off than the doctor suspected.  I'm not sure why the doctor didn't start him on IV antibiotics after seeing the infection.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I am pretty sure she owned a high-end plastic surgery clinic, I thought that was mentioned when Don Johnson (still don't know his character's name) and the medical team were on the balcony as she made her grand entrance.  Once a year, she books out the entire cruise for her best patients of the clinic.

I didn't understand why the show wasted so much time on Ken's nighttime beauty routine.  It didn't even strike me that he committed suicide.  I thought it was the condition he had that was putting him at health risk that finally caught up to him.

Gina Gershwin and her unshown husband owned both the cruise line and the plastic surgery clinics. 

As for Ken, maybe the message was that you can spend a ton of time and money on your appearance but we all die anyway?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I am surprised that the flower cooler/morgue didn't have a drawer in the table that they placed Ken on. Most bodies in a morgue are in a body bag, in a drawer. If this had been a murder, I don't think you would want the body so exposed to outside contaminants and if someone goes through the cooler door, a passenger in the flower shop might see the body. I am sure they just did this because it is television.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I am surprised that the flower cooler/morgue didn't have a drawer in the table that they placed Ken on.

Given the high-tech medical facility they have, it's surprising that they don't have at least one proper storage unit for a deceased person.  Hopefully that doesn't happen very often, but cardiac arrest does happen, and it would be likely that they would have a death every once in a blue moon.  You're right though.  It's TV, so they've got to make it as unrealistic as possible!!

• Like 1
On 10/13/2024 at 2:28 AM, nilyank said:

If mom was diagnosed with Huntington's Disease, why didn't any of the medical professionals including Tristan bring up the subject that he might get tested himself as it is a 50% chance that he might have it since his mom has it.

It was a huge subplot on House and also on Everwood, so I was waiting for the male nurse whose name i can’t remember to have a big life crisis about it…

I think the producers want to me like Avery but I just don't.  So, she has a deep issue with plastic surgery and doesn't want to associate with anyone who has had it-does she then have issue with people whose health reflects decisions they have made?  'I won't treat that person because they...drank too much, had unprotected sex, are overweight, etc.'  Yeah, she may want to rethink the whole being a medical professional to help 'humanity.'  And, to show up on a formal night in casual day time clothes?  That's not just disrespectful to Gina Gershin, but to the captain and t cruise line, and all of their members of staff who dress appropriately and according to policy.  

And the doctor better be careful-she may be the type of person that throws the legal system at him should he break her heart or offends her.  He's the one who is the supervisor/power position.

Yes, I know, I can't expect accuracy and realism, but shouldn't some of the plots/stories make some kind of sense?

Oh, and finally?  I think Ryan Murphy should actually take a cruise on a passenger ship (as opposed to a private yatch [yes, I don't know how to spell that]) as it doesn't seem like he knows what a cruise ship is...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

I know it's the tropics so an iceberg is out of the question, but on the season finale could they have the ship run over some uncharted, submerged rocks, and go down with all hands?

They keep talking about their cruises have seasons, so an iceberg might be feasible.

11 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I know it's the tropics so an iceberg is out of the question, but on the season finale could they have the ship run over some uncharted, submerged rocks, and go down with all hands?

It’s Ryan Murphy so anything is possible. Iceberg in the tropics. Vortex to hell. Coven of swimming witches.

• LOL 1