Type keyword(s) to search

Thomas Ravenel & Kathryn Dennis: Will He Put A Ring On It?

• Start Topic

I don't understand what the deal is with their new house and why it looks so shabby.  Like the DENIM couch??? What the hell?  It looks like an appropriate apartment for a college student or someone just out of college (uh, Kathryn, I guess?).  But if you watch a Season 1 ep, Thomas' old house was awesome!!!  What happened??

The alleged assault of the stylist didn't happen. Thomas takes stuff to sleep, woke up in the middle of the night to hear Kensie screaming her lungs out, grabbed her to calm her down and went to look for Kathryn. Who was high as a kite with her stylist friend outside. Thomas didn't fall into the pool with the baby, he stepped into the 3-foot deep wading pool. Kathryn was out of her gourd and didn't hear her baby crying. That's when the video published online picks up, him telling them to get out of his house.

• Love 6

Quoting RedHawk:

And what was the real story about that fall into the pool? Someone (CooksDelight?) posted that only one foot went into the pool or something like that, but I'm having a hard time imagining how that would work.

It's a wading pool, barely deep enough to swim in.

• Love 1

Well, that's Thomas's version of the events.  And while Kathryn shouldn't be so high that she can't hear her baby cry, no reason that Thomas can't answer the baby's cry and handle it on his own.

• Love 2

Mmmm...something about that sounds very revisionist.  Why is he walking around naked with the baby trying to find Kathryn? Calm the kid down, put her back to sleep, then put some shorts on.

And tripping into a wading pool still could have injured both of them if he weren't so lucky.

From what we've seen of Thomas on the show, it's the woman's job to handle family matters. Which I don't agree with, but it's how he has shown us he is. There's a lot we don't see, as in how often Kathryn is "out of it" to the point that Thomas is trying to get her to stop.

Calm the kid down, put her back to sleep, then put some shorts on

Eww...Put some shorts on and THEN go and grab the baby!

Well, if Kathryn is in involved in any illegal drugs, regardless of people's feelings about marijuana, etc., then it is wise of a Senate-seeking Thomas to part ways with Kathryn. 

Well, that's Thomas's version of the events.  And while Kathryn shouldn't be so high that she can't hear her baby cry, no reason that Thomas can't answer the baby's cry and handle it on his own.

I agree, Thomas should be able to handle the Kensington's needs on his own, but dayum! Had I woken up to a screaming baby and found my spouse awake but partying with a friend and smoking pot, I would have kicked both persons out of my home as well. 

• Love 1

I agree that Thomas definitely wants more traditional roles.  Doesn't mean that I agree with him :)

There have been many rumors that Thomas has not given up his vices either (not just alcohol and affairs). 

We're only seeing what the producers have decided to show us.  Just as Thomas's friends are only going to repeat what they decide.  I wouldn't take an account from any of these people as unbiased.  Maybe I'm too cynical. 

• Love 3

There have been many rumors that Thomas has not given up his vices either (not just alcohol and affairs).

Were you with me this past weekend? LOL

I'll just say that it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Bev comes back into the picture at some point. :)

• Love 1
And tripping into a wading pool still could have injured both of them if he weren't so lucky.

Heck tripping into a wading pool (though when they showed the pool at the house it looked fairly deep) could easily call more injuries than falling into an actual pool because it is unlikely that Thomas or Kensie would drown.

I'll just say that it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Bev comes back into the picture at some point. :)

Oh, my...If Thomas is still using drugs and has the nerve to run for Senate--that sickens me. 

As for Bev Cart girl coming back into the picture, well, I hope so.  I suppose I'm a hopeless romantic because stories of unrequited love make me sad.  A happily in-love Thomas might be a better person, and even a better parent.

I wish.  Was in studying.

Thought BevCart girl was happily married.  Someone had posted a link to her FB page a while back.    I think Thomas doesn't have a clear vision in the past, present or future.  Sometimes, we remember things differently, much rosier if you will.  And sometimes, things that were great 10 years ago, are different now because people are different, times are different etc.  Who knows?  Look at Charles and Camilla.  They reconnected and are seemingly happy so maybe there's hope for T-Bev.

Bev Cart seems to be happily married. Hopefully her marriage doesn't break up for Thomas! But yea, if she's ever single again who knows?

I can totally see Kathryn getting high or whatever and not hearing or ignoring Kensie's cries. She is in over her head with the motherhood thing. She would rather be partying.

(edited)

Bev Cart seems to be happily married. Hopefully her marriage doesn't break up for Thomas! But yea, if she's ever single again who knows?

If she's ever single again I hope she's seen this show and realized that him calling off the wedding was the best thing that could have happened -- for her.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 3

Why wouldn't Thomas still be using drugs while running for the Senate? He has repeatedly contended (and on this show) that the problems were not with his conduct but with the statutory prohibitions against cocaine. He did nothing wrong; the laws were wrong. He's opposed to the regulation of controlled substances.

RedHawk I may be imagining, but it seems I remember that when they had the first pregnancy scare in Season 1, he did say words that meant "If you are pregnant, I'll marry you."

The whole point of knocking her up was to have this perfect political family for his career, but their actual relationship and inability to get along derailed that plan.

HOWEVER ... Question: Do y'all think he would have married her if they had had a son instead a daughter?

HOWEVER ... Question: Do y'all think he would have married her if they had had a son instead a daughter?

I'm not sure. I think he might pursue custody of a son, but I'm not so sure he'd marry Kathryn given everything we've seen (and not seen) go on between them. They are not compatible. If they did marry, I think they'd be divorced in no time flat.

• Love 5
(edited)

HOWEVER ... Question: Do y'all think he would have married her if they had had a son instead a daughter?

I've thought about that, and yes, I think he would. At first I thought he'd want to give him "his name" but Kensie was named Ravenel. (I'm old so it's still odd to me when an unmarried couple still gives the child the man's last name. Nothing wrong with it, of course.)

But yeah, he did a lot of debating and already knew the marriage wouldn't work, so probably not. I wonder if he's been smart and responsible enough to set up a trust fund for Kensie just in case something happens to him suddenly. I mean, she's his only child and all that, but it would be much better if it were all set up legally and clearly.

And finally, I think it's also high time he gave Kathryn a ring or a child support agreement. He needs to be an adult and a grown man and make a decision. Word is that they are not at all together now, and if so I think the responsible thing is for them to sit down with lawyers and settle it all so both can move on.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 3

The whole point of knocking her up was to have this perfect political family for his career, but their actual relationship and inability to get along derailed that plan.

I honestly don't think he would've. I think once the fog of the first few months of a relationship cleared, he knew they would be terrible as a married couple, but they got pregnant, and there you go.

Thomas also reminds me of a person I know. He wants a wife children but not really. In order to be a good father and good husband you have to think of the other person and how your decisions will affect them. Thomas seemed to want the picture of a family but not the real family.

I think Kathryn was trying run her plan, it just didn't work out for her. Thomas thought he was getting a sexy kitten by the time he figured out she wasn't just going to shut up and go along with whatever he wanted... Oops, she was pregnant.

Thomas is old enough to know that he and Kathryn will never be happy together.

• Love 3
(edited)

He's also old enough to offer her child support and shared custody agreements and lead the way in being mature and responsible co-parents, maybe even evenutally friends. However, I think his bad habits and hers are going to keep both of them acting like spoiled, immature children for many years to come. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 5
(edited)

He's also old enough to offer her child support and shared custody agreements and lead the way in being mature and responsible co-parents, maybe even evenutally friends. However, I think his bad habits and hers are going to keep both of them acting like spoiled, immature children for many years to come.

Absolutely agree.

I also don't believe Kathryn that Thomas does not give her money. I'm sure he is paying out money. But agree they need get everything down in paper and try to be adults.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1

At least he was astute enough to realize that before embroiling them in the legal morass that is marriage/divorce, but sadly not before they brought a human being into the world.

• Love 2

So far, Thomas has provided her with a place to stay, either in the country or the city, or she can stay with her parents. I don't see her knocking on doors looking to re-employ herself and find her own way. I am sure Thomas provides for anything that beautiful little girl wants or needs. He has also given Kathryn a nanny to be there to help her. The nanny could care for Kensie during the day while Kathryn worked. I just don't see her being motivated to do that. It would interfere with her partying.

I try to imagine myself at Thomas' age dating or having a child with someone who's the age of my nephew. UGH

• Love 2
(edited)

From the Dysfunction Junction thread:

Kathryn needs to just stop with Thomas. He only wants her for booty calls and that's it.

When he said to JD, "I love her to death" I thought, those words mean nothing. Thomas' actions show that he's sick of her but can't give up the sex.

He's made it clear with the "I love her red hair and her physicality" comments. Booty and nothing else. He doesn't mention even that she's a "wonderful mother" or that when they're in a good phase she's fun to be around or they laugh a lot or anything like that.

I feel sure that Kathryn led with the sex from the first and Thomas was grateful to have a hot 22-year-old who wanted to get in bed with him -- and probably was willing to do a lot of exciting things without his having to ask, etc. -- so he "fell" for her. His whole mindset of then thinking that she would love him and take care of him showed his deep immaturity. When did she ever promise that? They never spent enough time getting to know each other to even come to an understanding of what the other expected, wanted, needed, etc. 

And what about him taking care of her? The kind of attention she wanted was the type of situation where he took her dress shopping and showered her with compliments and paid the bill. The happiest we saw her this season was when she had the run of the furniture store and he was giving her everything she picked out. Heck, he even looked happy because for once she wasn't screaming at him. It seemed to me that once she had the baby he thought he could keep her confined to the planation while he continued his life much as it had been before. I don't doubt that she's a ticking time bomb of moodiness (some of it attributable to post-partum effects), however, an adjustment of his behavior might have helped.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 1

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Kensie will wind up being a pawn in their sick game of booty calls and whatnot. Thomas didn't say Kathryn was a good mother because I don't think he believes she is. She is constantly leaving the baby with her parents so she can go out with her friends. She is indeed living at home with her parents so she can come into town and stay with friends and do whatever. She obviously drinks too much from what we've been shown, and from what I learned she has a big problem with pot, big enough that Thomas is concerned and has tried to get her to stop. I think Thomas may one day seek custody of Kensie if Kathryn doesn't straighten out her life. When that scary lady asked Kathryn if she had a job or if she was looking for one, Kathryn seemed clueless. She is expecting Thomas to take care of her so she doesn't have to.

• Love 2
(edited)

Back when this 2nd season of Southern Charm began (early April?),Thomas guested on Watch What Happens LIve along with Mercedes "MJ" from Shahs of Sunset (the Shah's season was also starting). Interestingly enough, Kathryn was in the audience of WWHL that night. They put the camera on her and she was incredibly and oddly underdressed, really almost sloppy looking, with zero makeup on. She looked like she was wearing a sweatshirt if I recall correctly. Then later she apparently had drinks with MJ as MJ sent out a selfie photo of them. Kathryn looked made up then.

So she was "with" Thomas then in some manner. Maybe it was just a reason to go to New York and have some fun.  

Cooks,....curious,..how do you know that Kathryn has a pot problem? Please share.

Edited by Bossa Nova
(edited)

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Kensie will wind up being a pawn in their sick game of booty calls and whatnot.

Sadly, I think this is almost a certainty. Kathryn has already said things that hint she's ready to "go there" in taking Kensie away whenever she wants to attempt to control Thomas. 

If Kathryn is a pot smoker, then she could fire back that Thomas has an alcohol problem. Of course, alcohol is legal, but then, he's been to prison for another substance that is definitely not legal. I think they both have bad and questionable behaviors that sort of cancel each other out, or would in a court of law. This is why I wish -- for Kensie's sake -- they'd get mature and serious and hammer out agreements before things get too ugly between them. 

So she was "with" Thomas then in some manner. Maybe it was just a reason to go to New York and have some fun.

I felt like that WWHL appearance was for the fun trip to NYC and publicity for the new season of "Southern Charm". In a way they had to keep up the story that they were "together" for viewers who only watch the show and don't read boards or tabloids to get the real story. They probably did share a room and bed while there, and then probably went their own ways as soon as they returned to Charleston. 

As for Kathryn getting a job, she does have one, as a cast member on this show, and I'm sure she's desperate for another season. No idea what she makes, but if she pays no rent to her parents and maybe has a car furnished by Thomas, plus getting most of Kensie's expenses covered by him, even $35,000 after taxes would be a tidy sum. (She's probably still under insurance by her parents even!) It's not enough to keep her in Prada but possibly enough to pay her bar tab and keep gas in her car for those long drives to and from Moncks Corner. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 1

I randomly learned something interesting tonight from an old friend who lives in SC.  (Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I didn't know.)  My friend posted a picture on Facebook saying she was stuck in North Charleston and was hoping the Ravenel Bridge would open up soon.  I asked if that bridge was named after his family and it is!  I knew the Ravenel family is a prominent SC family/comes from old money, but I didn't know anything was named after them.  Interesting!

I can't believe I didn't put two and two together before tonight about where in SC my friend lives; now I have to somehow find a way to subtly grill her about Charleston and if she ever runs into any of the cast, if she frequents any of the spots shown (maybe even Shep's restaurant), etc.  Ha!

• Love 1

Oh yeah, last season TRav described in detail how his family secured funding for that bridge and other local Charleston landmarks---they really are "kind of a big deal" in and around that city, which makes Thomas soiling the family's otherwise outstanding reputation all the more shameful.

I think the only regular hangout featured on there that gets decent foot-traffic outside the show is JD's place(Shermet? I forget the exact spelling) and Husk. I've seen Hominy Grill and a few other notable local restaurants featured on there too; nice to see the noteworthy local spots featured on there.

(edited)

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Kensie will wind up being a pawn in their sick game of booty calls and whatnot. Thomas didn't say Kathryn was a good mother because I don't think he believes she is. She is constantly leaving the baby with her parents so she can go out with her friends. She is indeed living at home with her parents so she can come into town and stay with friends and do whatever. She obviously drinks too much from what we've been shown, and from what I learned she has a big problem with pot, big enough that Thomas is concerned and has tried to get her to stop. I think Thomas may one day seek custody of Kensie if Kathryn doesn't straighten out her life. When that scary lady asked Kathryn if she had a job or if she was looking for one, Kathryn seemed clueless. She is expecting Thomas to take care of her so she doesn't have to.

I didn't expect her to have an answer to that question. At the time of the cooking lesson, I don't believe more than a week had passed. I personally had a similar experience, leaving a marriage with two kids under age three and moving back with parents. It was some six weeks before I found work and I had a college degree. One is no use to an employer if the emotional bugs haven't been worked out yet. I got no spousal support either.

Edited by b2H

I randomly learned something interesting tonight from an old friend who lives in SC.  (Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I didn't know.)  My friend posted a picture on Facebook saying she was stuck in North Charleston and was hoping the Ravenel Bridge would open up soon.  I asked if that bridge was named after his family and it is!  I knew the Ravenel family is a prominent SC family/comes from old money, but I didn't know anything was named after them.  Interesting!

There is also a small town named Ravenel which is about 15-18 miles southeast of Charleston.  It's more rural than suburban and has a little over 2,000 residents.  If one drives into Charleston on US17 from Interstate 95, you have to pass right through the town.  

I'd still like to know why she didn't finish her college degree. It was in political science and women's studies, apparently. Just so odd that she wouldn't finish it when I think she was within one or two semesters.

Maybe she didn't understand the multitude of how important her brevity was to attend classes?

• Love 5

Thanks for all of the Ravenel/SC history, guys! I figured his father had something to do with at least some of it because he had been in office a while.

Why does Kathryn always look dirty?

It's kind of hard to look clean and put-together when you've been out drinking all night. I've also noticed weird bruises on her arms in a few scenes, too. Like maybe she fell down?

It's kind of hard to look clean and put-together when you've been out drinking all night. I've also noticed weird bruises on her arms in a few scenes, too. Like maybe she fell down?

I noticed when they showed her waking up on Jekyll Island that she had what looked like a blueish bruise on her jaw. I later realized it was likely makeup that rubbed off on her hand or arm and then her jaw, or something like that. I think she's the type of girl who goes to bed drunk without taking off any of that 2" thick makeup she has slathered on. Then it rubs off and makes stains that look like bruises, maybe?

• Love 1

Could be. I was thinking of the scene with Dani when she had on that dark green crocheted thing, her arms looked sort of brusied. Or bug-bitten to the point it left welts.

This was the morning after she had the fight with Thomas in the restaurant.

(edited)

This was the morning after she had the fight with Thomas in the restaurant.

I've wondered if any of their fights have gotten physical. When Kathryn was yelling at Whitney on the porch at Jekyll Island, she slapped him on his knee. If she provoked a drunken Thomas in that way, like maybe slapping him, I can see him grabbing her arm to stop her doing it again and making a bruise. But then, I think it would have been commented on at some point during the show because those bruises/makeup stains/whatever are rather obvious. I hope they aren't physical like that, but anything's possible with Krazy-Eyed Kathryn.

The thing I notice is that Kathryn always wants to be the one who's right and "show Thomas what he's missing" and such. Not a great way to make a relationship work. In fact, it's the best way to destroy one. That's her immaturity again, and I think Thomas is a bit more open to compromise, but Kathryn is too set on being the "winner" and getting her way. Together they are pathetic.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2

I agree that it looks like Kathryn got socked in the jaw during her waking up scene. Definitely had a huge blue bruise under her makeup.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I've been online friends for the past decade with Thomas's cousin. He's the complete opposite, a kind of Zen massage therapist! He told me Thomas is a complete embarrassment to the rest of the clan.

• Love 2

I agree that it looks like Kathryn got socked in the jaw during her waking up scene. Definitely had a huge blue bruise under her makeup.

I convinced myself it was smeared makeup rather than a bruise. WTH? Maybe Kensie socked her? It's just weird that this isn't the first we've seen of what look to be bruises.