Type keyword(s) to search

In And Around Charleston: The REAL Southern Charm

• Start Topic

Charleston is a fabulous city to visit. Did the touristy thing and ate seafood at Hyman's. I did a ghost tour of Charleston on one visit. Great walking tour and a ton of fun. Also did a Grey Line bus tour one summer. The air conditioned bus was a godsend in the Charleston Humidity. Spent 10 days on Kiawah Island with extended family. Beach is gorgeous and family friendly.

• Love 1

Ok, I didn't know where to put this since there is not a thread for him (not that there should be since he's not on often), but I was in Charleston a week ago for 5 days and my husband and sons and I had an early dinner that Sunday at Upstairs Morgan Creek and saw JD and his wife and children come in and have dinner, too!  My husband watches the show with me and said, "Isn't that the guy from Southern Charm?"  I looked over wondering which one he meant, and it was JD!  I didn't go talk him or take a picture or anything, but it was kind of cool seeing him just having a normal dinner with his family knowing I watch the show every week. I'm sure they frequent that restaurant since they live there.  It's my favorite place to go when I'm there because it's so laid back and the kids can watch the boats while we all have dinner (and husband and I have a drink.)  Just thought I'd share with fellow Southern Charmer fans!

• Love 7

I will gladly post photos when I get back. It's hard to do it via phone onto this platform, so you'll have to wait until next Tuesday. We're taking the scenic route there, probably coming home via the interstates as I need to pick my dog up at the vet's before they close on Monday.

We've got a lot of things planned, and my WAZE is set with a bunch of addresses, so be prepared for anything!

• Love 5

I will gladly post photos when I get back. It's hard to do it via phone onto this platform, so you'll have to wait until next Tuesday. We're taking the scenic route there, probably coming home via the interstates as I need to pick my dog up at the vet's before they close on Monday.

We've got a lot of things planned, and my WAZE is set with a bunch of addresses, so be prepared for anything!

Thanks!! I am ridiculously excited to experience a Stalking Shep Tour vicariously through the internet. (is your dog okay? just boarding at the vet and not sick i hope?) Safe travels.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just boarding at the vet. He actually likes going there, making new friends. And the staff adores him.

CooksDelight..... Is your trip this weekend?

In an unprecedented turn of events, Charleston is expecting its first hurricane to hit this weekend. Hasn't happened since the fifties and hurricane season generally runs from September through November.

Safe travels.... I'm sure Shep will be attending or hosting his very own hurricane party this weekend, if there isn't mandatory evacuations.

ETA: link http://www.weather.com/news/weather/video/tropical-system-brewing-in-the-atlantic-could-be-upgraded

Still a tropical storm at this point.

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 2

Yes, I'm leaving tomorrow. Dad has already warned me, LOL. In his fatherly way. I checked the Weather.com site and it only said heavy rain today, rain tomorrow and chance of afternoon storms the rest of the weekend. I've been through some bad hurricanes when I lived in Richmond. I just don't want it to spoil our being able to stalk.... sightsee..... around town.

We're planning lunch at The Palace Hotel on Sunday. My sister wants a picture of her at the Ravenel Bridge with a drink in her hand. LOL

• Love 5

Okay, cooksdelight! Get out there and wrangle Shep!

At the very least I'm expecting a mention of you next season.  Something like:

Whitney: "Hey, Shep, what happened to that lovely cooksdelight that had you mesmerized last May?"

• Love 2

I know most people hope for no hurricaines because of the potential incredible amount of damage to homes and businesses and people, but we're all sending our focused energy for good weather for Cooks's stalking trip! What are the chances she's going to see anyone if they're all bunkered in during a hurricaine?! Even if no great physical damage is suffered, it will be a great emotional loss if no one is out and about! Or, you're going to have to use it to your advantage by knocking on their doors to ask for shelter from the storm. I'm picturing you knocking on Patricia's mansion door at the butler answering, "Madame, we have a soaked CooksDelight at the door looking for shelter from the storm and a martini to ease her wearied spirits." Patricia would just say, "Oh, yes! Martinis! That is a delightful idea!" And then CooksDelight will just waltz right in.

• Love 6

Or cooksdelight could wander into the Palace Hotel during the peak of the storm and hope she's forced to stay there--with Shep, keeping each other warm...

• Love 5

I am on my phone so I won't post much...except that I have two coveted and rare Ravenel For Senate bumper stickers from someone who knows him VERY well. We're taking questions now, ask what has been burning a hole in your mind and I'll find out what I can.

• Love 7

I am on my phone so I won't post much...except that I have two coveted and rare Ravenel For Senate bumper stickers from someone who knows him VERY well. We're taking questions now, ask what has been burning a hole in your mind and I'll find out what I can.

Well, obviously we need as much Kathryn relationship info as possible! Also I want to know more about Beverage Cart girl. And did T-Rav really think he could win the election? Was this person friends with old times "Raise the Roof" and "love the smell of coccaine" T-Rav? I want to know more about that life.

This much I can share....

Everything is filmed totally out of sequence, and it's all set up. For example, the campaigning by Thomas and the parade, that was filmed in late October, near the end of the campaign. Amy and the guy I've talked to are good friends and she's wonderful. They spent a lot of time together during filming of this, and a lot of time waiting around for taping.

The pool that Thomas reportedly fell into with the baby, didn't happen. The pool is only about 3 feet deep, and he was carrying Kensie while trying to find Kathryn (who apparently didn't hear her baby screaming for reasons I may be able to share later) and he got one leg into the pool, but didn't fall in with the child.

I have some Ravenel for Senate bumper stickers, I may tape one to the inside window of my car and drive around downtown.

• Love 7

This much I can share....

Everything is filmed totally out of sequence, and it's all set up. For example, the campaigning by Thomas and the parade, that was filmed in late October, near the end of the campaign. Amy and the guy I've talked to are good friends and she's wonderful. They spent a lot of time together during filming of this, and a lot of time waiting around for taping.

The pool that Thomas reportedly fell into with the baby, didn't happen. The pool is only about 3 feet deep, and he was carrying Kensie while trying to find Kathryn (who apparently didn't hear her baby screaming for reasons I may be able to share later) and he got one leg into the pool, but didn't fall in with the child.

I have some Ravenel for Senate bumper stickers, I may tape one to the inside window of my car and drive around downtown.

Reason Kathryn didn't hear her: fucked up out of her mind perhaps? Drunk, high,tripping? I've said it before and I'll say it again. There's no reason she needs a nanny but I glad there is one considering how often both Kathryn and Thomas I'm sure get black out wasted.

• Love 1

This is completely fucking awesome.

Is the campaign manager as humorless in real life as she's portrayed on the show? Is Kathryn on benzos or does she just sound like that naturally?

(please stay safe from any storm activity, cooksdelight, and godpseed)

No, Amy is a really nice, normal lady. Emphasis on lady.

Today we were downtown quite a bit. I shot a great video with music to share when I get home.

We were on King St. to go to a book signing, and as we came outside my sister said "Wow, something smells good. Why does that restaurant look familiar?"

We were standing across from J.D.'s restaurant. :) I've got tons of photos to share and we've not even seen "anybody" yet.

• Love 5

OK, I hate to report this, but Shep's hot dog palace is awful. It's a good thing he's not depending on this for income.

It is absolutely shitty looking from the outside. For a minute we thought we were in the wrong place. We had a teenager with us and I feared for his safety.

Floor was sticky. Seats were questionable as in whether they'd been cleaned recently. Hot dog was your basic Oscar Mayer, and mine was cold and barely cooked. Helluva expensive hot dog, too. I tried asking the bartender a bit about the place and he was clueless.

I'm not sure why Shep thought it would be a good idea to tie his name to this place and publicize it on the show, even if just for a dig at Whitney.

• Love 6

Oh, maybe this is why....from the Charleston Eater website

All kitchens have their nuance's and exasperation's... this kitchen was the red headed step child of Hades. To be fair, it wasn't the poor scullery's fault. It had been poorly ventilated, wired, and plumbed...word? Money went to the FOH (front of house) like it always does. Multiple flat screen TV's take the place of functional equipment... I couldn't boil water for three weeks

http://charleston.eater.com/2014/10/16/6988671/chef-blake-joyal-leaves-the-palace-hotel-allegations-against-the-dive

• Love 3

I had a great time here otherwise, can't blame it all on Shep. :)

Yes, you can - and you should.  He doesn't get a pass just because he's "charming".  The guy fucked Katherine and opened a shitty restaurant.  That's two strikes ...

• Love 10

Calling it a restaurant is a stretch. It's more like a dive bar in a rowhouse neighborhood.

Somehow, that seems even worse. 

I hope the drinks are strong.  But any self respecting dive bar has cheap snacks.  And a huge jar of pickled eggs on the bar.  And the occasional can of peaches with unauthorized cinnamon.  :-)

• Love 2

No idea. SC used to have some really weird liquor and drink laws. You could only buy a mixed drink made with the little airline sized bottles. Then they finally got with the program and did away with that, but there may be something weird with beer.

Calling it a restaurant is a stretch. It's more like a dive bar in a rowhouse neighborhood.

Is it in the neighborhood where Shep is building a house? Sad that it was such a letdown. We'll strike it as our Southern Charm Tour happy hour and final rest stop. Maybe J.D.'s place...

Little beer cans? That's weird. I haven't been to Charleston for a year but I seem to remember bottled beers at a Folly Beach taco place. 

I'm disappointed in Shep for letting his place be a dump. But that reminds me, what do y'all think of the house he is building? I don't like it -- it looks architecturally awful! Also, I think it's a build and sell and will be surprised if he actually moves in there, despite all the furnishings his mom has bought him.

• Love 1

I guess Shep has money to not worry about working but he doesn't have Ravenel money, with passive real estate income.

Or the money Whitney gets from mommie dearest.

I'm disappointed in Shep for letting his place be a dump. But that reminds me, what do y'all think of the house he is building? I don't like it -- it looks architecturally awful! Also, I think it's a build and sell and will be surprised if he actually moves in there, despite all the furnishings his mom has bought him.

Wasn't wowed by his house, either, and kinda wonder why a single (alleged) slacker like him would want to bother with the hassle of building new when there must be umpteen properties he could purchase as-is to live in or reno to flip. Perhaps his mom is staging it, not furnishing it for him to live in. Maybe this is a learner home and he wants to be a builder?

• Love 1

No idea. SC used to have some really weird liquor and drink laws. You could only buy a mixed drink made with the little airline sized bottles. Then they finally got with the program and did away with that, but there may be something weird with beer.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip down here! I hate that you were disappointed with Shep's place...it was pretty good when I was in there a few months ago. I had the Down Low Country dog and it was tasty! But I'm a sucker for anything with pimiento cheese on it. Also weird about the beer bottles. They serve...or at least used to serve...lots of local and craft beers and ales in bottles and cans...all of the regular 12 oz variety. It's been a while since I was there though and anything can happen in a few months time.

And Amy? How awesome! You should have fabulous dirt now cause you got it first hand...all my gossip is third-hand! Dish on Kathryn and Thomas!! Who is the craziest?

It depends on who's sober. Thomas cries for Kathryn when he's drunk but otherwise when he's sober realizes she's too young. Kathryn lets reefer influence her thinking. :)

Hilarious. I always knew she was high I just figured her drug of choice was of the prescription variety. She sounds like she's Xanaxed to the gills most of the time. Maybe with a side of amphetamines to keep her slim. I know a doc over in Mt. P. that passes them out like candy.

• Love 1

Can you share a little bit about Amy's career? Wondering if she is legit in politics or fundraising since Whit made a dig about her being some kind of blogger. Of course, if she is legit why work on TRav's campaign? From the very little we saw of her it looked like she was competent and a take charge kind of person.

This was one of the highlights of my visit to Charleston:

https://www.spiceandtea.com/south-carolina-charleston-ezp-15.html?chapter=1

I brought home a shopping bag of spices, rubs, sugars, and mixes to make dips and marinades. I met a young man named Garren who works there part time, he will be on Cutthroat Kitchen in August.

That shop looks wonderful. Mr.mbay (my own personal chef!) would be able to spend a least an hour or more there

Yes, I was at The Preservation Society of Charleston on Sunday having a glass of wine and chatting about food with Nathalie Dupree and Holly Herrick. I told Nathalie she was my inspiration for starting my own small private chef/catering business 20 years ago with her cookbook, "Cooking For Family And Friends". I bought her latest book, "Mastering The Art of Southern Cooking", which is a HUGE book chock full of good stuff.

Meeting Nathalie was a thrill for me. She is such a gracious and funny lady.

Holly Herrick has several books out now, I bought her book of eclair recipes. She is an awesome lady. Invited us to lunch at Leon's on Saturday and introduced us to their food.

I love trying the local foods from small shops and resturants. Here are a few recommendations from my area:

Roysswisssaugefactory (Greenfield CA) his hot Swiss sausage is the best.

Susieqbrands (Santa Maria CA) Santa Maria seasoned tri-tip cut beef and MUST have the pinquinto beans (only grown locally).

Philsfishmarket (Moss Landing CA) chioppino is what he is known for.

All of these places do ship. Enjoy!

The bun is your standard out-of-the-plastic bag variety, too. We were at Leon's for lunch a day earlier....where they make their own buns. And where I was literally stuffing everything in my mouth, it was that good.

• Love 2

Thanks for the picures/info!

This was one of the highlights of my visit to Charleston:

https://www.spiceandtea.com/south-carolina-charleston-ezp-15.html?chapter=1

My mind is blown at the sugar assortment, I will have to order some of those!

The bun is your standard out-of-the-plastic bag variety, too. 

That's exactly what I thought when I looked at the picture, that it looked like your run-of-the-mill hot dog buns that you can get anywhere.  Sorry to hear it was so disappointing.

• Love 2