Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Fear of the End

• Start Topic

GVNmTrfX0AAXuHp?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Please! No Cancel.

(Series Finale)

A countdown begins, and the team receives an offer they never expected.

An ominous countdown begins after the Bouchard girls start a new game on their VR goggles; The Entity moves to stop the Sixty, despite Sister Andrea's warnings.

Premiere Date: August 22, 2024      Paramount+   

EVIL_504_EF_0509_04555_RT%20(1).jpg

Fedor Steer as Demon Stick

Evil414_Img11.jpg

Emma Pfitzer Price as Jennifer Duarte 

• Like 2

I don't remember what that cabinet is all about so stuffing Leland in there didn't make much sense to me. But as long as he's gone it's all good.

I'm going to miss this show. Is it too soon to do a whole series rewatch?

• Like 3

I feel sad that this clever show is over. I liked the return of the virtual reality game and the idea of despair being sent over the internet. I wanted the three to be together in the end and I didn’t like Ben being left out. Also didn’t like Kristen simply saying the girls have no father. Andy loved his family and Kristen should have tried to find him and help him for the girls sake.

As for Leland I don’t know why they leaned into him being an evil buffoon so much. It was interesting to hear the lawyer say Leland has been protecting Kristen for years as it didn’t seem that way.

• Like 4

Ben opening the drawer and seeing ‘run’ written in red must have come with a frisson of supernatural fear. For what it is worth, I suspect he won’t last too long there, or at least will be back with his friends. His job seems to tie into the families/AI/braindespair thing and his skills will be needed.

Really, the head of the entity has a lot of nerve not giving Andrea her choice of retirement, but it has provided Kristen’s friend with a companion and mentor. Will Leland last long in the demon wardrobe? Preserved? It was a hell of a way to round out the meeting of the 60, have it be a fakeout and a trap. The zoom meeting, so quickly over. There is a new antichrist! I suppose the Gray man was Himself. That the headphone trick turned out to be an add was great, it must also have been a test run for a select few, an exhibition of how the VR headsets could lead people to despair. The ghost camera game was a great way to gather data.

By the way, when Kristen is stunning him repeatedly in her office, he would have soiled himself repeatedly. I wondered at the casual way David picked him up. 

So, if they continue the story most of the players can return if they are needed. Andy is a bit of a loose end, but they did say in an interview that they only had one episode with him, because of his other show on apple tv. Timothy, another loose end. The new antichrist (can they have playdates?). Many things, if it is picked up. 

I thought this was a good ending for the show, but I wish it hadn’t ended. 

10 hours ago, Castiels Cat said:

Perfect ending for Leland 

Worse than actual death.

• Like 8
57 minutes ago, Affogato said:

Ben opening the drawer and seeing ‘run’ written in red must have come with a frisson of supernatural fear. For what it is worth, I suspect he won’t last too long there, or at least will be back with his friends. His job seems to tie into the families/AI/braindespair thing and his skills will be needed.

Really, the head of the entity has a lot of nerve not giving Andrea her choice of retirement, but it has provided Kristen’s friend with a companion and mentor. Will Leland last long in the demon wardrobe? Preserved? It was a hell of a way to round out the meeting of the 60, have it be a fakeout and a trap. The zoom meeting, so quickly over. There is a new antichrist! I suppose the Gray man was Himself. That the headphone trick turned out to be an add was great, it must also have been a test run for a select few, an exhibition of how the VR headsets could lead people to despair. The ghost camera game was a great way to gather data.

By the way, when Kristen is stunning him repeatedly in her office, he would have soiled himself repeatedly. I wondered at the casual way David picked him up. 

So, if they continue the story most of the players can return if they are needed. Andy is a bit of a loose end, but they did say in an interview that they only had one episode with him, because of his other show on apple tv. Timothy, another loose end. The new antichrist (can they have playdates?). Many things, if it is picked up. 

I thought this was a good ending for the show, but I wish it hadn’t ended. 

Worse than actual death.

They showed an alternative antichrist at the business meeting in which Leland kills the Manager.

• Like 3

The series finale is just OK for me. I don’t expect much after seeing the penultimate episode last week.

The “big evil” that’s coming to New York is THE ENTITY. Aha!

“60 evil families. 60 regions of the brain. Why go to the trouble of tempting when you can upload despair right into the brain?”

This reveal is a bit anticlimactic but there’s so much to be explored with this narrative. Dumb call, Paramount+. Boo!

After 4 seasons, EVIL still has many unfulfilled potentials. The showrunners and the writers have a habit of introducing some ideas, then they backtrack them for whatever reasons. They aren’t capitalizing and maximizing their own ideas to the fullest. Look at how they treated Andy. 

Their unwillingness to kill Leland has led them to a silly, unsustainable, short-term solution for his character. Leland will escape, for sure.

The ending for Sister Andrea seems like a punishment but at least she’ll be spending more time with Sister Fenna.

Awww, look at those chubby cheeks. Mommy will try to look the other way while relying on the power of pacifier.

D67F250F-51CB-4FB0-88F0-5D7C43DFD88D.thumb.jpeg.27ed031012a562bd2165aac909da2907.jpeg

"Never give up a chance to f*ck or travel.”

The Bouchard girls are so happy to be living abroad. Poor Andy, he’s totally forgotten.

Anyway, this is how I wanna remember the end of EVIL… 🔥💙😍

81A79C31-4824-4A17-83DD-23418C2DAAAD.thumb.jpeg.1bcbfe0973b4c66c6cfd3c04801b1b3c.jpeg

• Like 6
(edited)

They made this finale hoping someone will pick the series and keep it running, right?

Ok, this whole mini-extra-season wasn't really good. It seemed like rushed and  like if the writers had  in mind more what the network did to their series than write a decent finale. I am not blaming them.

I hope someone WILL save Evil, but for now, I will pretend this mini-season did not exist.

It was a great show and I will definitely miss it.

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

I predicted they would end up in Rome, though I thought Ben the Magnificent would be there too. Excellent idea of virtual meeting and the Vatican not keeping up with technology. Nice writing on the overlay of the brain. even though we could see the demons, most answers came about through technology. so it would be an interesting commentary on technology. also interesting how the VR game mapped out The house. just like how we allow Alexa to listen into our conversations (not paranoid, just commentary), Ring sees who comes in and out of our house, and how technology has become more and more intrusive in our lives. it would be a shame if someone doesn't take this show and continue it. excellent acting, excellent writing, cinematography, and so on.

• Like 8

Not them knocking people who talk about TV shows.  
I’d take the move to Italy, too.  

I hate Paramount, right now.  

they were only making $65,000 a year? 

• Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Marktheshark said:

I predicted they would end up in Rome, though I thought Ben the Magnificent would be there too. Excellent idea of virtual meeting and the Vatican not keeping up with technology. Nice writing on the overlay of the brain. even though we could see the demons, most answers came about through technology. so it would be an interesting commentary on technology. also interesting how the VR game mapped out The house. just like how we allow Alexa to listen into our conversations (not paranoid, just commentary), Ring sees who comes in and out of our house, and how technology has become more and more intrusive in our lives. it would be a shame if someone doesn't take this show and continue it. excellent acting, excellent writing, cinematography, and so on.

I’ve been disturbed by the way they’ve seemed to push AI, on the show, so I’m glad they showed how disturbing these apps can be. I don’t have Siri activated on my phone, and we don’t have anything like google home, or Alexa. we can’t afford them, but I don’t really want them anyway   

speaking of: the whole thing just being an ad, was funny, but it also lined up with Leland really trying to kill Kristen. 

the baby still being evil, was strange.  Why would it seem fine, until they got to Rome? 

the overlay of the brain, and the sigil houses, spreading despair, and fear, reminded me of Good Omens, when the main demon got people caught in traffic, and cell towers were down.  

Edited by Anela
  • Like 3
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Anela said:

I’ve been disturbed by the way they’ve seemed to push AI, on the show, so I’m glad they showed how disturbing these apps can be. I don’t have Siri activated on my phone, and we don’t have anything like google home, or Alexa. we can’t afford them, but I don’t really want them anyway   

speaking of: the whole thing just being an ad, was funny, but it also lined up with Leland really trying to kill Kristen. 

the baby still being evil, was strange.  Why would it seem fine, until they got to Rome? 

the overlay of the brain, and the sigil houses, spreading despair, and fear, reminded me of Good Omens, when the main demon got people caught in traffic, and cell towers were down.  

Andrea saw his face as demnic. I wonder if it neans kristen is gaining a skill, leveling up in demonic vision. We will likely not know. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 3
5 minutes ago, Affogato said:

Andrea saw his face as demnic. I wonder if it neans kristen is gaining a skill, leveling up in demonic vision. We will likely not know. 

I thought she saw that he was fine, after the baptism.  

• Like 5

I liked that the job in Rome, was only for six months. It gives them a chance to come back, and have them back at home, unless they want to tell some stories in Rome, and have Ben join them there.  

DEADLINE: So, are you guys in discussions with other outlets about continuing the show?

MICHELLE KING: I think we should just leave that be. I don’t think we can answer the question.

https://deadline.com/2024/08/evil-series-finale-spoilers-1236046644/

That sounds like a “yes”.

Demon baby wasn’t in the script. Katja suggested that bit. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

So in the end, The Sixty had a zoom meeting which the Entity was unprepared for. Having The Sixty map to regions of the brain was creative. They’re using 21st century methods of corrupting humanity, like counting on people’s addiction to apps.

Leland got what he deserved in the end. Not just the demon box, but the humiliation he was feeling by being dragged across the floor in a sack. And it sucks that Sister Andrea didn’t have a choice about where she was sent, but she’ll no doubt be a mentor to Fenna.

Didn’t see the team being offered jobs in Rome coming. I laughed when Kristen said she has five kids and Ben was like, “Actually, the Vatican will love that.” Also Lila saying, “oui, oui,” and Lexis telling her, “that’s French, dummy.” 

It seems like the doppelgänger storyline was ultimately leading to Kristen watching that video and deciding to take a chance on a new adventure. Interesting that little Timmy is showing signs of being the antichrist again now that they’re in Rome, despite the baptism. I love Kristen and David putting on their sunglasses and heading off to work. I obviously did want them to end up together, but I’ll take them living and working together in Rome. 

I’m not holding my breath for a pick-up because I don’t want to be disappointed, but if it does get picked up, there’s definitely still things to explore. If not, well, it’s been fun and I’m gonna miss this crazy ass show. 

• Like 5

Well that’s in the running for worst series finale of all time for sure.

So sad this show turned to complete crap in its final season. It had been so good…

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I liked the finale, too. I thought it was a pretty good way to wrap things up, all things considered. The only thing I"m sad about is that Ben was staying behind in New York instead of on a new adventure with them, but it also makes sense for his character. 

But yeah, I like that this show didn't end with them completely defeating the evil, because, well, it's always going to be out there in some form or another, and using the whole concept of putting fear and despair into our brains was a perfect way to highlight that. This show has always been a commentary on the evil that exists in the world itself, and there's still plenty of that out there in the real world to fight, so it makes sense that it wouldn't be completely eradicated in fiction, too. 

Still, yes, I too enjoyed Leland getting his just desserts. And I liked the bookend - the first season had Kristen ending it with killing LeRoux (we didn't know that until the second season, mind, but now that we do...), and now the sereis ends with her ultimately not going through with killing Leland. She still takes him down, but she doesn't have to kill him to do so this time. 

The constant stun gunning was amusing, though :p. And the song choice when Leland was skulking around the house looking for Kristen...this is the kind of kookiness I will miss about this show :p. 

But I do love the idea that everyone's still working and still doing their part to try and make the world better and safer in some form or another. Even with a baby that still has some uncertainty around it :p. But hopefully with Kristen's influence, the baby will be okay in the end.

I loved all the team moments. Kristen's video call with Ben at the end, the three of them all sitting around the fire and recalling all the cases they'd worked (and chanting that song XD). The characters and their dynamics were always the main draw for me with this show, so I'm thrilled we got so much of that aspect here in the finale. Same with the girls, it was good to see them get one last storyline of their own. The twist with the goggles was perfect, but man, those visions the girls and the team each had were hauntingly disturbing. Ben's vision with Karima and Kristen's vision about losing her girls especially got to me. 

I also loved the hug between Sister Andrea and David, and Freema showing up, that was a lovely touch as well. 

Yeah. It's been an absolutely wild ride, but I've enjoyed every minute of it. If this show does miraculously get picked up, I'll happily check it out wherever it lands, but if this is indeed the end, then so be it. Thanks to the cast and crew for giving us such an entertaining four seasons. 

• Like 8

Fenna!! Her appearing for three seconds made the entire thing worth it!!

Ahem. 

I liked a lot, as usual, but I am also unhappy about a few things. Relieved, SO SO relieved that David is still a priest and hopefully not ever going to be romantically with Kristen. So disappointed that they left Ben behind. Hopefully that six months stays just six months and they can all be together again.

Disappointed Leland's alive, but not at all surprised by it for multiple reasons. Definitely do not buy that he was PROTECTING Kristen for four years or whatever, because what?

And as is my usual complaint here... I will never not be annoyed at how they handled (or lack thereof) Andy's whole thing. I guess we're just supposed to take it as-is that he abandoned his family and cheated and may or may not have watched the usb thing--and if he did, he apparently didn't care what was on it? Sure. Of course. I know they had next to know time but that was the weakest part of this entire SERIES, period. Kristen and Andy always had issues, but damn. This was just disrespectful on multiple levels. 

Sigh. Anyway. I will miss these characters a lot, and I would also like to state for the record that I loved the girls from the very start and that makes me awesome. 😉

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

So sad this show turned to complete crap in its final season. It had been so good…

This is exactly that I was thinking. Although the final season had its moments, it was not nearly as good as previous ones, and the final 4 episodes were utter crap. I wish I never saw it.   

• Like 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

As bad or worse than Seinfeld, Medium or Game of Thrones?  This isn't even the worst series finale I've seen this week (I'm looking at you The Umbrella Academy ). I'll probably remember some others later. Could it have been better...probably, but that can be said about any show. And we have to remember that Paramount is circling the drain, so they did what they could with the time and money they were given. At least nobody called it a "love letter to the fans".

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Like 7
10 hours ago, Anela said:

I thought she saw that he was fine, after the baptism.  

The girls are a bit like a coven. Who know what timothy will add to the mix. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, snoopypez said:

Sigh. Anyway. I will miss these characters a lot, and I would also like to state for the record that I loved the girls from the very start and that makes me awesome. 😉

Same :D. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Ha, Ben challenging the Church to match his 650K salary. As if. Stay where the money is, Ben! And looks as if he did. Who can blame him. 

The baby! 😯 When he becomes a teen, send him back to Leland, Kristin. Better punishment than the box. 

Not a bad ending, considering. I agree the last 4 episodes that were tacked on were the worst of the the series, but this one less so. It was great seeing the girls one more time and seeing the trio in a creepy situation again (even if Ben does eventually explain it away, as usual). And it was nicely left open to be able to go on. Come on, Netflix! You have a winner on your hands. Easy money. What are you waiting for?l

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I also loved the hug between Sister Andrea and David

I’ll miss her along with everyone else. 

Thought I was gonna bust a gut when Sister Andrea walked into the auditions after that boisterous girl. I thought she was going to perform! I would have loved to see her belt out a tune, cleaning supplies in tow. 

♪ “Tomorrow, Tomorrow…” ♫  {{spray, spray}}  

♪ Just thinking about tomorrow, ♫  

♪ Clears away the cobwebs… ♫ 

{{spray, spray}}  (inching toward Leland)

What a wasted opportunity. 😁

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
2 minutes ago, ferjy said:

I’ll miss her along with everyone else. 

Thought I was gonna bust a gut when Sister Andrea walked into the auditions after that boisterous girl. I thought she was going to perform! I would have loved to see her belt out a tune, cleaning supplies in tow. 

♪ “Tomorrow, Tomorrow…” ♫  {{spray, spray}}  

♪ Just thinking about tomorrow, ♫  

♪ Clears away the cobwebs… ♫ 

{{spray, spray}}  (inching toward Leland)

What a wasted opportunity. 😁

It is really awful to silence her. 

• Like 6

This show has never quite captured me, but I get bored during the summers, so I've followed along. 

Possible controversial theory: I would have preferred Ben and Kristen.

Second thought: So we're just cool with demon baby, Kristen? 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, jmonique said:

This show has never quite captured me, but I get bored during the summers, so I've followed along. 

Second thought: So we're just cool with demon baby, Kristen? 

I would honestly think, if this is the end, the baby’s demonic glint is an indication of the 60 operating from within the mind in the future. Evil is within us. The traditional means don’t stop it. 

father Acosta is their father, now, but a platonic one. 

• Like 6
(edited)

The actor that plated Andy was only available dor one of the four shows. They also continue to shop the show, so they didn’t want to have him just, oh, die. Sheryl just died, too. I suppose if there is more the $80000 will have been a payment from one of the families and he will need to be stopped from carrying out his scheme. I don’t see bo they could have handled it much better. And Kristen is pretty decisive. 

i bet Leland has been protecting Kristen, he is clearly enamored of her. He enjoys playing with her. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, jmonique said:

Not controversial to me at all, I've always shipped those two as well :). They have a really good chemistry with each other, he's forged a wonderfully close bond with her daughters, he spends a ton of time at their house as it is. I could see it. 

• Like 7

I sincerely hope this isn't the last episode. Typically, I cannot stand a lot of current TV. So when something this well written, acted, directed, crewed, etc. is available, I make it appointment viewing (even in the streaming era). I'd watch the Sunday morning drops after getting home from church. Thursdays? As soon as I got home from work. 

Fantastic chemistry between everyone and what a supporting cast. I mean, come on!

Favorite subtle thing in this episode? Lawyer!Demon still having that awful 70s thin porn 'stash when he's a demon. 

I'm glad too David and Kristen didn't end up together. (shallow) Although she did look rather spiffy in Rome.(/shallow)

Back to the silent retreat? Cool. Saw the other Sister? Cool. Leland getting tossed in the Demon!Box! was an opening to bring him back in the future. Remember, Kristen was told if anyone spoke in the retreat, it would set the current demon in the box free. She said "BOO!" to one of the statues in her room while there and it was opened. 

Kristen's attempt to kill Leland gave me the creeps. It was awfully sexual, I thought. She has her legs wrapped around his waist and is pulling up. It's probably what he wanted, but to be rolled over 180 degrees. That mixture of sex and violence skeeves me. 

I think if the show comes back (PLEASE!) Ben will have issues at his new job (RUN) and Kristen and David will return to get him out of the trouble. Then, back to Rome, or NYC. Whatever.

Bye for now, EVIL. I hope you are picked up. This show has two or three more seasons left, easily. Plus, I think the Kings are great showrunners. 

• Like 6

There were a lot of threads left hanging but I cannot blame the Kings for that. They did the best they could to pull together a run of final four episodes that would kind of tie things up/give them new beginnings and would also leave us wanting more. Mission accomplished.

• Like 7
41 minutes ago, WAnglais1 said:

Favorite subtle thing in this episode? Lawyer!Demon still having that awful 70s thin porn 'stash when he's a demon. 

I thought he looked like over-the-hill Hitler.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)

The best thing I can say about these final episodes is that they made me a little less sad that the show has ended. If we hadn’t gotten a 4th season at all, I’d have been gutted, but these last installments were a slog to get through. I know they couldn’t just tie up all the loose threads in a story that was so beautifully constructed, but I thought the choices made were so awful: a destroyed Andy abandoned, Ben split apart from the group, (potentially) evil Timothy, and silenced Sister. 

Edited by RedInk
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, WAnglais1 said:

Although she did look rather spiffy in Rome.(/shallow)

No argument here. Katja's beautiful. This whole cast is just an attractive bunch, honestly :D. 

• Like 9

This was an interesting show. Sorry to see it end. I don’t understand why Kristen  didn’t   admit to David that the baby is evil. I hate to say it, but it should’ve been snuffed him  out at the beginning.

Also, on a lighter note, she microwaved slices of pizza . This is disgusting period but for someone that lives in Queens this is blasphemy.! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Kristen: "I think I forgot something."

David: "If you forgot then it wasn't important."

Kristen: "Yeah, you're right."

*Kristen's Swiss cheese brained husband who almost killed himself saving their daughter standing alone in the rain*

• Like 2
  • Applause 6

I’ve been putting off watching because I didn’t want it to end (I have yet to finish Schitt’s Creek).  Did anyone wonder who the guy was with Dopel Kristen?  Could it have been Andy?  They didn’t show his face.  I know it’s a stretch…

• Useful 1
(edited)

Kristen has always been a dual personality, i.e. overworked mom/cold-blooded killer, cuckolded wife/adulterer at heart, so it doesn't surprise me that she would embrace evil in the end.  Like mother like daughter, I guess.   I know that if my therapist came to appointments looking like Kristen, I probably wouldn't be very focused on myself.

The finale was disappointing other than the young lady singing "Tomorrow" (she died, right?)  Obviously they left plenty of doors open for another network to pick up the show, although I have a feeling it won't happen.

Complaint: they let Ben's djinn story line -- which went on ALL season -- just wither on the vine.

Say, is it just me or did the head demon look like the My Pillow guy?

Edited by millennium
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, millennium said:

Say, is it just me or did the head demon look like the My Pillow guy?

Now, that you mentioned it, YES! (That explains a lot…😵‍💫🙄😏)

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
On 8/29/2024 at 9:11 PM, For Cereals said:

I’ve been putting off watching because I didn’t want it to end (I have yet to finish Schitt’s Creek).  Did anyone wonder who the guy was with Dopel Kristen?  Could it have been Andy?  They didn’t show his face.  I know it’s a stretch…

IMDb says the character's name is Jan, and he's portrayed by Davi (or Davi Shane) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31920811/?ref_=tt_eps_rec. The line that Kristen's doppelganger says to him (translated from Dutch): “Yeah, well, a risk not taken is a life not lived. Never give up a chance to f**k or travel” is key to Kristen's decision to relocate to Rome.

That was fun. Was it great? No it was not, but I had fun watching it. 

I loved the mustache on the demon. Hate Leland and have since the beginning. I'm glad they brought back sister fenna. The girls weren't as overwhelming. That was one of my biggest annoyances with the show - the girls talking over each other and being so very annoying. 

I'm glad no Kristen and David because... MORE DAVID FOR ME! lol

I do hope it comes back. It was a fun little weird show. It was never my favorite, I didn't fight to remember it was on, but it was fun. 

• Like 3