Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E05: Challenge #1: Music Videos

• Start Topic

(edited)

This week the dancers will split into two groups and take on music video challenges choreographed by Emmy nominee Luther Brown and choreographers Phillip and Makenzie Chbeeb. Who will have what it takes to continue in the competition and who will go home? Tune into the all-new "Challenge #1: Music Videos" episode of So You Think You Can Dance airing Monday, April 15 (9:02 - 10:00 ET/PT) on FOX.

Edited by DanaK
Fixed season in title

I don't know what in the America's Next Top Model / Big Brother happened to this show but as much as I love Allison and Comfort and Cat Deeley...this bears no resemblance to the SYTYCD I fell in love with 💔

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

I’m so happy to see Phillip Chbeeb. I actually think Jaylin could benefit from working with him; Phillip was that hiphop guy who really grew into contemporary.

On the other hand, I could not possibly care less about watching the dancers hang out in the house. Nor can I take another second of Jojo Freaking Siwa. 

• Like 9

I thought the final versions of the music videos were pretty good, though I liked the first more than the second

• Like 1

That Easton was (purportedly) in danger of elimination was a "WTH? GMAFB! YGTBKM!" moment for me.

I mean, were the judges for real here?!

On his very best day, Maks was incapable of doing much of what Easton can.  

• Like 1

Braylon and Easton were in danger of going home, but Jaylin and Roman were safe? Please. I guess this isn’t actually going to be a dance competition. Also, I want to see the solos, not closeups of the judges watching the solos. Madison was the stand out of the female dancers for me.

• Like 4

The show feels like a desperate mess. I really dislike this format. Nonsense comments from the judges that feel super scripted. Only 3 women left? It seems kind of random. I guess I’m just disappointed. 

• Like 10

The old show would barely be at top 20. I feel so robbed now of the journey the show took us on back then. It's obvious they are trying to create some sort of arc for Easton. My none dancer husband spotted him as the best dancer in the video of the guys, so this he's getting lost narrative is just bullshit. 

i guess the cuts were not unexpected I mean you have to keep the hip hop guy and the ballroom guy around so cut the contemporary dancers? I am tired I think Olivia must be pissed getting cut before Broadway week where she would have crushed.  

Nice to see Phillip and MacKenzie. Phillip had a massively interesting journey back in Season 5. I miss those times  

• Like 3
(edited)

This show is a travesty. I don't like the new format. I don't like that we don't see every dancer dancing out of his or her style in multiple genres and improving from week to week.

The judges are terrible. I don't see what the judges are seeing. I also don't like that the judges are making the elimination decisions and not America's votes. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 12

Avery and Olivia, we hardly knew ye. But since we're in a race against time, I guess the idea is to assume everyone is cannon fodder and not get overly invested. For the dancers themselves, at least the current (and future) choreographers get a closer look at practice sessions and final product and hopefully approach the losers off-stage with a bit of work. 

I appreciate hearing the judges' comments; WofD didn't do that, right? Scripted or not, they flowed better than during the auditions, likely because they didn't have to redo anything due to Nigel's absence. I also learned something about how music videos are put together, so there's that.

As long as the kids' dancing is genuine, I won't abandon the show. 

• Like 2

I agree with the cuts from the top four. Although, all four solos were really good. Olivia was an obvious cut since she looked uncomfortable in the video.  Too bad that next week is Broadway since that's what she is comfortable with.

When Avery auditioned, I mentioned that she was technically the best out of the three friends. I did think that the third girl emoted better though. I think that emoting is Avery's weakness.

I thought Braylon was out when they announced Easton and so did he. I was thinking they were eliminating one girl and one guy. That was cruel. I'm going to have to agree with the judges though. Not so much with what I saw with the video. His solos are outstanding. I mentioned that I liked his audition. During the choreography rounds, he didn't look as strong. He's a better soloist.

Roman should have been in the bottom instead of Easton. I wonder if choreographers give feedback to the judges. Roman didn't even do much with the first number. I don't know why we have to keep certain genres since the show is not making them do different styles. Jaylin did well in the video. Phillip was a good choreographer for him since he knows how to mix hip hop with contemporary.

I'm usually a big Luther fan, but I wasn't wild about this one.  And the ladder one had some awkwardnesses they shouldn't have had to show us given that they were editing etc.

After their commentary, I knew the judges were going to get rid of the girls and I disliked the fake-out of letting everyone assume they would go boy-girl.  Eff off with the reality show cliche stuff. 

Easton was a bloody odd choice to be in the bottom 4, but I don't know who they all are yet, so I can't propose an alternative other than the obvious hip hop guy and ballroom guy.

I don't like the judges being in charge of all of the decisions.  That is a sad change.  I'm not against the new format for dancing, but I do NOT want to see the house stuff and am not looking forward to the staged melodrama that will ensue because the show runner(s?) are idiots.

• Like 3

Maybe I just don’t get it, but some of the dancers were criticized for blending in….but isn’t that what a good dancer but one who in NOT the lead does, blend in with the ensemble?

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Maybe I just don’t get it, but some of the dancers were criticized for blending in….but isn’t that what a good dancer but one who in NOT the lead does, blend in with the ensemble?

For alot of situations being able to blend in is going result in getting dance work.

• Like 4

I hate the new format.  I dislike JoJo and I'm so sad that the show I used to love so passionately is now so boring and flat.  That was the last episode I will watch.  It was nothing like original SYTYCD.  Yes that show had problems & biases but I got to see some amazing routines over the years that I still remember & treasure.  And that was exciting.  This?  I had to force myself to watch the routines.  I repeat, I miss SYTYCD so much.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

Over the years, I have always told everyone that if they wanted to see real dancing they should be watching SYTYCD rather than Dancing with the Stars. I can't do that anymore because I'm not sure I even know what I'm watching - it's a totally different show. 

• Like 6

Oddly Easton was the only one in his music video that stood out to me. I hated the second music video. I miss the old format. I liked seeing the dancers grow, I miss the old dances, I miss the old vibe of the show. Can we just get old school SYTYCD back pretty please???????????

• Like 2
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I guess I'm at a table of 1 but Easton does absolutely nothing for me. I would have saved the 2 women.

Although I agreed with the judges based on what the show wanted to show us, I think the two women will be fine. Olivia mentioned doing Broadway. I can see Avery joining a professional Classical company.

Easton dances like a competition dancer. He's good but he tends to do more tricks than I like. I can see why though based on how competitions are judged.

• Like 2

For an entire hour, I kept talking to my TV saying, "I hate this format," "Who idea was this?" "The judges' comments are so phony."   Glad to see I'm not alone and others are not happy with the changes made to a once enjoyable program. 

• Like 6

Once upon a time, I believe when this forum was called Televiision with Pity (TwoP), you would come on the SYTYCD chat and there would be 600+ comments by 12 noon the day after.  I know that forums have changed a lot since then, but so has the show. 

This new format is so cheap that unless they manufacture outrageous drama in the house, show after show, they are unlikely to pick up new viewers and if they do manufacture outrageous drama, show after show, they are unlikely to keep the old hold-outs who keep hoping to see some fresh and exciting dancing.  If seasoned viewers can barely figure out what's going on and who is who.... 

Remember when there was a top 20 AND they did an intro show with everyone grouped by their own styles performing together?  8 different choreographers.  You became invested before the first cuts.  Now, pllllhhhh. 

It feels so unfair to all these kids who grew up with the goal of getting on the show they loved to arrive and see it be a sickeningly manipulative vaguely-related experience.  Anyhow, I haven't stopped watching yet, but it's also hardly an investment of my time to watch an hour-long show with almost nothing on it.

• Like 9
25 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

Once upon a time, I believe when this forum was called Televiision with Pity (TwoP), you would come on the SYTYCD chat and there would be 600+ comments by 12 noon the day after.  I know that forums have changed a lot since then, but so has the show. 

This new format is so cheap that unless they manufacture outrageous drama in the house, show after show, they are unlikely to pick up new viewers and if they do manufacture outrageous drama, show after show, they are unlikely to keep the old hold-outs who keep hoping to see some fresh and exciting dancing.  If seasoned viewers can barely figure out what's going on and who is who.... 

Remember when there was a top 20 AND they did an intro show with everyone grouped by their own styles performing together?  8 different choreographers.  You became invested before the first cuts.  Now, pllllhhhh. 

It feels so unfair to all these kids who grew up with the goal of getting on the show they loved to arrive and see it be a sickeningly manipulative vaguely-related experience.  Anyhow, I haven't stopped watching yet, but it's also hardly an investment of my time to watch an hour-long show with almost nothing on it.

I remember.  I would rush to TWOP to post and see what everyone else thought.  It was so fun and exciting to talk about the amazing dances we were seeing, the pairs, the group dances.  I didn't care if the dances they did on the show didn't get them cast (although many went to broadway or music videos)- it was still exciting to watch them try the quickstep or krump or something so far out of their wheelhouse.  Mia reacting to Kent & Neil doing Shoeless Joe.  Seeing Ramalama for the first time.  Sabra & Neil doing the Sweet Dreams desk dance.  Danny & Lacey killing it in a sexy ballroom number.  I could go on and on.  I guess all things come to an end but it was so unique & special back then.  I miss it!

• Like 6

Something I noticed…before they always said they were trying to find America’s Favourite Dancer.   Last night said America’s Best Dancer.   I guess they can’t technically say the first since the audience isn’t voting….but “best”?   I don’t think so.  

• Like 3
15 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Don't remind me that TWOP is no longer a thing I miss it soooo much. I wish I could read the old threads still but its just gone :(.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I'm hating this season and new format. I hate that the producers judges are choosing who moves forward and who is eliminated. I hate their fake discussions. Allison and Maks are meh and terrible actors but I really, really, really hate Jojo and her stupid glasses and her massive ego. I hate that the contestants are sharing a house and I don't care about their behind the scenes drama. I hate that I don't trust that what they're showing us is real. I think they're still doing camera and editing trickery and that can't be blamed on Nigel leaving at this point. I don't know that I'm going to last the entire season or that I'll come back for future seasons if they stick with this format.

• Like 8
(edited)

I so agree with you all. I miss the old format. I did enjoy seeing the completed music videos, but I prefer to see the kids pair up and perform in various genres live.  There are so many memorable performances that moved me and entertained me. After this season is over I won’t remember anything the current dancers did.

I've always fast forwarded thru the judging anyway. With this being so scripted I wonder if the producers already know who they want as winner. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 2

And in previous seasons, even the Covid one, you got to know the performers as individuals, even without them living together and doing those fake excited  interactions.      Now they are just a blur as people so I don’t really care about any of them including pet and probably prepicked winner Easton    

• Like 3
(edited)
On 4/15/2024 at 11:15 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

That Easton was (purportedly) in danger of elimination was a "WTH? GMAFB! YGTBKM!" moment for me.

I mean, were the judges for real here?!

On his very best day, Maks was incapable of doing much of what Easton can.  

Agree......Easton in danger and the bleached blonde Hip Hop guy not in danger? Come on. Who are they trying to kid? We know better. There most certainly is producer manipulation. I call shenanigans!

On 4/15/2024 at 11:20 PM, rlc said:

Braylon and Easton were in danger of going home, but Jaylin and Roman were safe? Please. I guess this isn’t actually going to be a dance competition. Also, I want to see the solos, not closeups of the judges watching the solos. Madison was the stand out of the female dancers for me.

Agree about Madison. I can see Madison and Easton as top 2.

Edited by coffeebean
  • LOL 1

All they eliminating two dancers every week from this Frankenstein's Monster of a competition? I hope so. I can't say that I'm hatewatching this season, but I do sit on my sofa and ask, What? Why? Really? as I try to figure why the producers felt the need to mess with something that wasn't broken (but, yes, could have used a few tweaks).

• Like 1

To those who hate the judges actually judging who leaves, I remember years past when the folks on the forum would blast the people at home for making it a popularity contest and trying to game the voting system for whoever struck the tweens fancy rather than who was best. I guess you can't please everyone.

I do hate how truncated the season is with two being eliminated at a time. BOOO!

I can't get too worked up about the bottom 4 as the judges saw a lot more of the actual rehearsal/filming than we did and that seems to be playing into the assessment, not just the final product. Of those, I agreed with judges as to who was cut. But I'm not feeling the new "real world" format.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

To those who hate the judges actually judging who leaves, I remember years past when the folks on the forum would blast the people at home for making it a popularity contest and trying to game the voting system for whoever struck the tweens fancy rather than who was best. I guess you can't please everyone.

I do hate how truncated the season is with two being eliminated at a time. BOOO!

I can't get too worked up about the bottom 4 as the judges saw a lot more of the actual rehearsal/filming than we did and that seems to be playing into the assessment, not just the final product. Of those, I agreed with judges as to who was cut. But I'm not feeling the new "real world" format.

Wasn’t the original format two eliminations at a time? It was one male and one female dancer back then, with the remaining two bottom-four dancers partnering up either with each other or with the former partners of the eliminated dancers.

8 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Wasn’t the original format two eliminations at a time? It was one male and one female dancer back then, with the remaining two bottom-four dancers partnering up either with each other or with the former partners of the eliminated dancers.

But didn’t they start with 20 dancers?   And when they got down to ten, they switched to individual eliminations?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

True, but as they kept pointing out, it was America's FAVORITE dancer, not BEST dancer.

2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

But didn’t they start with 20 dancers?   And when they got down to ten, they switched to individual eliminations?

I’m pretty sure it was always double eliminations (one male and one female) all the way through; they had to keep the numbers even because of the duets. The dances were always male-female duets until the top 4, when they did three duets and a group number. What changed at top 10 was instead of being partnered with the same person they had new partners every week.

• Like 3

Unfortunately with the ratings, they're not going to have a long season. I'm surprised the show came back at all. Except for the cast, it doesn't feel like the same show.

• Like 6