Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E05: Save the Stress for Later

• Start Topic

I think next week Danny is going to start publishing a daily newsletter for his opponents with all the answers and navigation tips.  He just wants to help people out! 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 18
15 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Popping in to ask: I think I read that this season was filmed before the last one.  If that’s correct, does anyone know why?  

QuiltFairy above already explained.  But to add to this, this is why this season still had the covid restriction charter flight and stupid 15 minute release times in each country as well as travel confined to one area of the world.  Last fall's season had the normal travel agenda again so it is weird seeing it in reverse order.

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, man, they are so lost.  Reminds me of that other team -- I don't remember which season it was -- they were the first out because they drove pretty much to Argentina instead of toward the ocean.

Season 7.  I forget their names but they were two women I think who wanted to be the ones to take out Rob and Amber.  Someone will look them up I'm sure.

14 hours ago, anniebird said:

I'm glad the cops didn't get eliminated - I really like their attitude. I'm not sorry the cousins are gone.

Who are the cops?

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Danny went to school in Santiago?  More info, please.

Why are there still stick shift cars? Those were brand new cars, not old ones. I get that some people still prefer manual transmission but they're not really better for gas mileage anymore so I don't get why they are still so abundant in foreign countries.

I'm just guessing but maybe it was Danny's college year abroad?  I can see Danny helping Vinny cause he was helped by them in the past but Mom was right about the others.

Stick shifts are cheaper, more reliable and easier to fix.  Better in some terrains and weather conditions too.  There isn't a tradition of automatics in a lot of countries so no real need to change over.  Also they feel way cooler to drive as in you feel like you are in control of the car, not it of you.  Well unless you are the Cousins.

Sticks are just a bit tiring (endless clutching/down shifting) in heavy stop and go traffic or behind some jerk texting or chatting on their phone causing them to slow and speed up every 5 seconds.  Hate those people!  😡 

Also there is a third female team in the Race?  Who knew.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

I know we've had many a proposal on the race. But have we ever had a divorce?  Because Rod needs to dump Leticia NOW!   Not after the race. Before the next episode. And make sure to get custody of the children to protect them from any more exposure to the attitude and the stupid.

Also, Danny, if you're not going to race and prefer to just help everyone to beat you, why did you drag your poor mother along on this thing? I bet she agreed in the belief you would actually try...

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/10/2024 at 1:36 PM, chitowngirl said:

To begin this leg of the race in Santiago, Chile, teams search for Marilyn Monroe's iconic Thunderbird car to receive their next clue.

Wonder if The Twins know who Marilyn Monroe was? 🤔 I guess we’ll never know!

I'm happy we finally got to see more of the girlfriends. Like Ricky and Cesar but too boring to see them win all the time.  Would have wanted Juan and Shane to win. 

LIke the cousins but knew they would not last much longer in the game.

Thought Rod and Leticia were done for by how lost they got but managed to stay in 5th place.

Danny shouldn't have helped too many teams. He would have had a higher placement with his mom if he didn't.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yay, more self-driving!

Self driving is always fun. But nearly everyone knew how to drive. Even the cousin who had trouble picked it up in a bit. 

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Danny is not much of a secret weapon if he's sharing all the info!

I know. That's one of his talents and he can use it to make up for their deficits. He shouldn't help those teams too much.

16 hours ago, nilyank said:

That should have been the episode title.

I know right, LOL!

• Like 4

It's not that I don't like the boyfriends, because I do.  They're pleasant and enthusiastic and competent.  But honestly, I want to see someone else finish first for a change.  Maybe not for the whole race, just for a leg or two.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
16 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I can’t talk to people cold either.

Neither can I, which is why I'd have been the drum part instead.

16 hours ago, anniebird said:

I don't want to hear Danny talk about having the lollipop ripped away from him - if he'd stop helping people maybe they'd do better.

There's working together to finish a task and then there's giving away your entire advantage by helping people navigate.  Oy.

16 hours ago, nilyank said:

And the cousins are not as annoying this week.

You thought they weren't?

5 hours ago, chaifan said:

The girlfriends get so little air time.  I wonder if they're the Beekman Boys of this season? 

Nah, from what little we've seen of the girlfriends, they seem competent and not just lucking their way into not being eliminated.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Skooma said:

Season 7.  I forget their names but they were two women I think who wanted to be the ones to take out Rob and Amber.  Someone will look them up I'm sure.

Debbie & Bianca.  They were supposed to go from Santiago to Argentina but made a wrong turn and headed 5 hours in the opposite direction, ending up on the Pacific coast of Chile.  This was the leg with the infamous Argentine meat roadblock.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

5 hours ago, chaifan said:

The girlfriends get so little air time.  I wonder if they're the Beekman Boys of this season? 

18 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Nah, from what little we've seen of the girlfriends, they seem competent and not just lucking their way into not being eliminated.

The Beekman reference was as to them being consistently end-to-middle of the pack for most of the race, ending up in the final 3, and then winning the whole thing.  Yes, the Beekmans made more blunders, but if I remember correctly, the were sort of invisible (except for the blunders), sort of like the girlfriends. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Debbie & Bianca.  They were supposed to go from Santiago to Argentina but made a wrong turn and headed 5 hours in the opposite direction, ending up on the Pacific coast of Chile.  This was the leg with the infamous Argentine meat roadblock.

Thank you!  And it was the third leg, not the first, as I (incorrectly) said above.

19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, man, they are so lost.  Reminds me of that other team -- I don't remember which season it was -- they were the first out because they drove pretty much to Argentina instead of toward the ocean.

Actually, they were supposed to drive across the Andes (inland) towards Argentina...and instead drove north for hours.  When they saw the Pacific Ocean on their left...they knew they were done.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, anniebird said:

The older married couple are both retired cops.

Thanks!  I just thought of them as Team Grandparents.  Forgot what they did before retirement.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

Actually, they were supposed to drive across the Andes (inland) towards Argentina...and instead drove north for hours.  When they saw the Pacific Ocean on their left...they knew they were done.

I couldn't remember the exact details, just that they went horribly awry, driving in the Andes.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Skooma said:

Thanks!  I just thought of them as Team Grandparents.  Forgot what they did before retirement.

I think of them as Super Hot Older Dude and What's-Her-Name. 🤣

• Like 4
  • LOL 8

You can tell who is a fan of the race and who isn't right away.

"They wouldn't have given us these different coloured wheels for nothing." vs. "The colours mattering is crazy to me."

Of course the colours matter! It's like you didn't even watch a few episodes after you were cast. This is crazy to me.

-

A butch lesbian who isn't good at building? Well now I've seen everything.

-

Sunny or Bizzy: "Everyone loves a good comeback story!"

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It's not that I don't like the boyfriends, because I do.  They're pleasant and enthusiastic and competent.  But honestly, I want to see someone else finish first for a change.  Maybe not for the whole race, just for a leg or two.

I think the problem is that they have no good competition. Other teams who have their athleticism clearly know nothing about the race and so make stupid mistakes, like not getting the colours of the skateboard wheels correct, and teams who are fans of the race don't have the required athleticism.

I'd really like to see them in an all stars, with teams who can actually hold their own against them.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

It's been slow, but I'm actually starting to enjoy this season. 

It seems to have taken longer than usual to get a sense of the teams, but they're finally seeming to snap into place.

I can see scenarios where there are some big shakeups in the expected eliminations, and I hope the design of challenges lets that happen so it's not just a cakewalk. 

• Like 4
(edited)
On 4/10/2024 at 7:58 PM, anniebird said:

I'm glad the cops didn't get eliminated - I really like their attitude. I'm not sorry the cousins are gone.

Which cops??

ETA: Oh, I see, you were talking about the “grandparents.”

Edited by SDVegas
13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I’d be happy just to see them have to compete in a country where they don’t speak the language…

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1

I didn't mind the cousins too much - thought they were entertaining ... but that anxiety was not going to take them much further. Was hoping Rod & Leticia would get lost out of the game

Liking the girlfriends the more we see of them. 

Still loving Angie and Danny , but yeah stop with the helping. I think he's probably too much of a people pleaser (like me).

• Like 3
18 hours ago, chaifan said:

the were sort of invisible (except for the blunders),

I remember them being featured a lot despite being only vaguely good at anything during the Race, but then, it has been a long time since I've seen that particular season so I could be wrong.  I just know I went from being slightly annoyed at them to really not liking them.

15 hours ago, WatcherUp2 said:

I think of them as Super Hot Older Dude and What's-Her-Name. 🤣

I never remember their names, but I agree he's pretty hot.

• Like 1

Anyone have an explanation why when Phil was at the mat the background behind him was blurred but behind the racers it was not? It was very distracting to me and I thought for sure someone here would have mentioned it. Alas, I'll have to do that myself. 😂

22 hours ago, Skooma said:

Stick shifts are cheaper, more reliable and easier to fix.

As someone who learned how to drive on a stick and whose first three cars were sticks, I can unequivocally say, "maybe, no, and definitely not." I can't tell you how many clutches I've gone through. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

As someone who learned how to drive on a stick and whose first three cars were sticks, I can unequivocally say, "maybe, no, and definitely not." I can't tell you how many clutches I've gone through. 

Transmissions generally are notoriously difficult to work on, and expensive to replace. In my experience, manual transmissions are sturdier (less likely to break), more efficient (lower fuel consumption), higher performance (deliver more power to the wheels), allow greater control (negotiating sand, snow, mud, gravel, etc) and cheaper to buy in the first place and to fix if they do fail, than automatic transmissions.

The clutch is not strictly part of the transmission, but but yes, it can fail if there are issues with the transmission itself. But clutches are cheap and relatively easy to replace. In most cases the clutch doesn't actually break, the clutch lining wears out and has to be replaced, like brake pads.

Your experience may be different, but in my experience automatic cars are more expensive to buy, or even rent, where you have that option. Manual transmissions can withstand much more harsh punishment; call it "cruel mistreatment " or "unskilled misuse" if it helps. And should they fail, they can be repaired or replaced far less expensively than automatic.

(My 27 year old Suzuki had a bad automatic transmission. A reconditioned replacement was around $4,000. Just the parts needed to repair the existing transmission were more than the $800 the car was valued at, and the labour charge for doing the job was more than the parts. It would have cost me $1,800 to fix the car with parts & labour and it would have taken at least a week. I could have bought a reconditioned manual transmission for $200 and had it fitted for an additional $200 in the space of about 2 hours.)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

I think the problem is that they have no good competition. Other teams who have their athleticism clearly know nothing about the race and so make stupid mistakes, like not getting the colours of the skateboard wheels correct, and teams who are fans of the race don't have the required athleticism.

I'd really like to see them in an all stars, with teams who can actually hold their own against them.

Yes a lot of the remaining teams have part of what makes a good player but not all. Some are athletic but bad with directions, some are good with directions but not athletic. Some are not good at figuring out what tasks to do and some don't know their strengths and that brings them down while I do think the boyfriends are the only ones who have it all. Juan and Shane do come close though.

7 hours ago, Wonderlad71 said:

I didn't mind the cousins too much - thought they were entertaining ... but that anxiety was not going to take them much further. Was hoping Rod & Leticia would get lost out of the game

Liking the girlfriends the more we see of them. 

Still loving Angie and Danny , but yeah stop with the helping. I think he's probably too much of a people pleaser (like me).

The cousins were fun to watch but horrible players. The girlfriends have potential and I like them when we actually get to see them.

Angie and Danny are nice but Angie's weaknesses and Danny being too nice will bring them down.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 4/10/2024 at 10:18 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

It was originally edited for a 60 minute timeslot, then due to the writer's strike they had a 90 minute slot to fill. 

As a fan of efficiency, I haven't been enjoying the longer shows, so I hope they go back to 60-minute episodes with the next season. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Netfoot said:

But clutches are cheap and relatively easy to replace.

Not on a Toyota.

I know there are stick-shift devotees, convinced they are superior to automatics in every way that matters. My father was such a person, and declared that anyone who drove an automatic was simply "lazy." Then one day he had to buy a van for his business and couldn't find one with manual transmission and had to buy an automatic. And afterwards never went back to driving a stick shift again.

Also, while manual transmissions used to be more fuel efficient than automatics, that really isn't true anymore of the newer cars.

I get that there will always be people who want stick shifts because they are just used to them and they feel like they have better control or like pretending they are race car drivers or whatever. But I can't believe in this day and age the show can't provide the teams with automatics. I think they make them drive stick just for our amusement. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

And afterwards never went back to driving a stick shift again.

My van has an automatic transmission. I'm not condemning automatics. But there are definitely pros & cons to both types of gearbox. 

I did say relatively! And it will vary from car to car. 

Just checked. The price for a clutch kit for the manual version of my car is between $200 and $250. A torque converter for the automatic version would be $850 for a rebuilt one or $1,220 for new.

• Like 1
(edited)

Say what now? The tallest building on the continent and it doesn't come into play as a challenge location?!

Aww I knew their lack of competency would doom the Double K Cousins but they were my favorite team. Next season please bring back non-eliminations...who knows it might have saved them. Guess its either the Grandparents or the Pro Bowler to route for but his wife had a bad attitude this episode. I think she's ready to go home to the USA.

I hope Walla Walla's inevitable elimination has to do with him helping the wrong team. He's getting really annoying with that and even his mother knows he's charting the wrong course doing that. Plus he was getting cocky about being the leader of the pack when it comes to self-navigation. I like him less and less each week.

Firefighters/Girlfriends are so bland that I don't know their names except Bizzy and I'm not even sure which firefighter she is. I would have loved to see either of these teams go tonight.

Boyfriends...all season I've been wondering if you fall in love with some that more or less looks exactly like you...what does that say about you?

So, you know the task is in an urban area and you keep driving deep into the mountains? Oy.  I still can't believe they recovered from that.

As a proud owner of the 11th and final generation T-Bird-see mine attached (if it's against some rule then by all means delete the pic mods) I don't know what annoyed me the most.... teams not knowing what one was, very few appreciating the beauty of the original gen or no one seeming awed that freaking Marilyn Monroe used to slip behind the wheel of that thing. Glad the one cousin appreciated it but the T-Bird has never been a muscle car the first gen and the last gen like mine were roadsters and boulevard cruisers. Bo and Luke Duke drove a muscle car which a T-Bird most surely is not.111thgen.thumb.jpg.31e298594e2278ece8eabaa24c18d6d6.jpg

Edited by North of Eden
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Boyfriends...all season I've been wondering if you fall in love with some that more or less looks exactly like you...what does that say about you?

Teams where the two team members are too similar to each other usually don't do very well. See the twins being out two weeks ago or every other twin team before. The twin team who did the best in TAR history were Emily & Molly, who didn't grow up together and thus had quite different experiences and personalities.

So I have to assume the boyfriends have quite a few differences under the hood. They just have the same type as themselves. With same sex couples that happens. There are also doppelbangers in the straight world, but it's not as noticable for obvious reasons.

Of course the matching outfits don't help, but that is encouraged by production...

7 hours ago, North of Eden said:

So, you know the task is in an urban area and you keep driving deep into the mountains? Oy.  I still can't believe they recovered from that.

I mean not deep into the mountains, just towards them. As soon as they noticed they were leaving the city, they pulled over the next option they got and then they still finished 5th, so they couldn't have lost that much time.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Guess its either the Grandparents or the Pro Bowler to route for

It's embarrassing how long I sat here trying to remember who is the professional bowler.  LOL  Oooh, right!  

9 hours ago, North of Eden said:

no one seeming awed that freaking Marilyn Monroe used to slip behind the wheel of that thing.

I would like to know the story behind its disappearance and then turning up again in Chile.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, North of Eden said:

There are whole articles written about this phenomena, something called the 'familiarity effect' which I guess is sort of the antithesis of 'opposites attract'? 

Here's one article

It's sort of funny on the newest Top Chef episode -not really any spoilers but I'll tag it anyway

Spoiler

The chefs were told to work with another chef as two person teams. My daughter and I were surprised at how many team resembled each other!

I don't think it's enough anymore to just learn stick, I think you'd have to practice on a lot of different cars, old and new. And learn how to swim, and learn a technique to calm yourself, and some phrases in different languages might help.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, North of Eden said:

I hope Walla Walla's inevitable elimination has to do with him helping the wrong team. He's getting really annoying with that and even his mother knows he's charting the wrong course doing that. 

At this point we don't know but it might turn out to be smart strategy on Danny's part, helping other teams. At some point, you know that Angie is going to have problems with a Roadblock. And because Danny has helped so many other teams, it's more likely than not another team would help Angie in that situation.

It's still early days. I don't see Danny making alliances as being detrimental at this point in the race. Now if he and Angie make it to the final five or six and are still doing it? Yeah, that's too far.

• Like 2

I’m getting so sick of this entire season being in Latin America. It’s no wonder the boyfriends have been leading the whole time since they can speak the language. This season can hardly be called “a race around the world.”

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
6 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I’m getting so sick of this entire season being in Latin America. It’s no wonder the boyfriends have been leading the whole time since they can speak the language. This season can hardly be called “a race around the world.”

As others have noted, this season was taped when COVID restrictions were still enforced.  The other seasons during COVID were similarly limited in the distance covered

It does seem like the boyfriends have a huge advantage but there are multiple other teams on the race where at least one partner speaks passable Spanish.  If people who are multilingual aren't allowed to compete, how far do we take it?  Should they refuse teams where a member seems to have superior map reading skills, or someone who drives shift skillfully or prevent people from doing challenges in areas where they excel?

As long as the boyfriends weren't specifically chosen for the race because of the heavy concentration of Spanish speaking countries, I don't have a problem with them having that advantage.

• Like 9
(edited)

I'm also ready for the show to leave Latin America. I understand if there were limitations due to the budget, COVID or whatever else could restrict the series, but it's been a bit of a drag. TAR is still better than Survivor, though. At least the resident "superfan" isn't out to "win a million hearts."

Seriously, Danny, why go even a little out of your way to help other teams? You're supposed to be the expert. You have to know alliances are fleeting on TAR. I guess his heart is slightly bigger than his brain . .  . which is a shame, since it looks like he and his mother can run an effective race.

I'm glad the Cousins are out, only because they leaned towards hysterics when the pressure was on them. I bet they're sweet in real life.

Is Sunny the one that wears the same shades as "Macho Man" Randy Savage? In other news, damn me for knowing that. Also, it's amazing (no pun intended) to see Sunny & Bizzy shimmy out of elimination again after shooting themselves in the foot.

I'm good with Ricky & Cesar winning three straight legs. I get the backlash, but they seem like competent Racers. They did have the advantage of going first in their Detour and getting local people's money first.

Once again . .  .am I a bad person to think of Juan & Shane as "Team Bromance"?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Firefighters/Girlfriends are so bland that I don't know their names except Bizzy and I'm not even sure which firefighter she is. I would have loved to see either of these teams go tonight.

28 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Is Sunny the one that wears the same shades as "Macho Man" Randy Savage?

I’m pretty sure it’s Bizzy with the serious sunglasses; I recall there were a few comments on them in one of the other episode threads.  At least it helps me tell them apart!

I do like that the top two teams from this episode are the ones running generally competent, independent, and drama-free races.  

I was really surprised that the retired cops/grandparents and cousins picked the climbing task but both pairs seemed (assuming no major editing) to do pretty well with it.  Kudos for one of the girlfriends enthusiastically saying “This is what The Amazing Race is all about.  This looks fun as hell” when seeing the climbing task.

• Like 2

They should have had to learn a short actual drum routine before being allowed to hit up locals for cash.  It would have removed the ick factor of them essentially just begging while one of them has a comical drum kit on their back.

Rod is a high-energy guy, and I appreciate his enthusiasm.  He's at least competent on the race.  Leticia, on the other hand, is ill-equipped at best to run the race.

I thought Derek's comment that Shelisa's love language includes him admitting when he's wrong to be hilarious.  I am rooting for them.

Mom should be doing every non-physical Roadblock.  Now that Danny has established his reputation with the other teams, he needs to start doling out purposely bad advice.  He's going to need to when Mom has to count 500 stairs or deliver cheese wheels to 4 restaurants at the corners of a town square.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
40 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

They should have had to learn a short actual drum routine before being allowed to hit up locals for cash.  It would have removed the ick factor of them essentially just begging while one of them has a comical drum kit on their back.

I heard that teams did have to learn a routine before proceeding to the general public. Apparently, the editors didn’t have time to include that. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
(edited)
On 4/13/2024 at 8:34 PM, Notabug said:

If people who are multilingual aren't allowed to compete, how far do we take it?

Big difference between being in a spot where a team is native speakers for a leg or two vs doing it for the entire season.

Just like it would be BS for, say, every single roadblock to be super athletic.

Edited by QuantumMechanic
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

Big difference between being in a spot where a team is native speakers for a leg or two vs doing it for the entire season.

Just like it would be BS for, say, every single roadblock to be super athletic.

That may be, but, the only answer then is to never accept any racers who are native speakers of another language.  That doesn't sit well with me.

It is my understanding that the route for the race and the actual teams who will be racing are chosen independent of one another.  In this particular season, COVID restrictions were a big part of the reason why the race has mainly been run in Latin America.  God willing, that will never be an issue in the future.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

It is my understanding that the route for the race and the actual teams who will be racing are chosen independent of one another. 

I've always assumed this, too.  Otherwise, it would be too easy for production to be accused of playing games with casting, choosing teams that could have an advantage (or be at a disadvantage) due to a skill/talent that wouldn't otherwise be known ahead of time.  They have to abide by all those laws governing game shows, so having casting handled by people with no advance knowledge of the route, challenges, etc., would seem prudent.

Also, I have to think that TAR officials look at this season with Cesar & Ricky's dominance, which is in part due to their language skills, and just sigh, roll their eyes and say "boooring".  I think they'd rather have no team have this type of consistent, multi-leg advantage, just to switch things up a bit. 

On 4/15/2024 at 8:09 AM, Notabug said:

That may be, but, the only answer then is to never accept any racers who are native speakers of another language.  That doesn't sit well with me.

No… the answer is to never again have a season only set in counties that speak Spanish. If the reason this happened was because of Covid restrictions then hopefully such a season will never happen again. But it sure makes this one boring.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
On 4/11/2024 at 7:12 AM, kitkat343 said:

This might have been why her whole "I'm so much better than his previous girlfriends who were just yes girls" speech fell quite flat.  She's been spectacularly unimpressive over this race, and seems to have a very high opinion of herself.

I agree.  All that make-up and false eyelashes while doing a race like this?  And her comment that women didn't want her around their men when she was pretending to try to get the money.  He's not great either, that determined way he kept going even when she kept telling him it was the wrong way, that they weren't going to the mountains.  I think the dynamic of their relationship isn't great for the race.

• Applause 1

I didn't dislike Kishori and Karishma, but the pressure of the race was bound to catch up with them. 

I'll also echo the sentiments about wanting to see the race wanting move on to legs outside Latin America.

• Like 1