Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E02: Episode 2

• Start Topic

PBS makes episodes available on Passport before they air on PBS. Discussion in this thread may contain plot information pertaining to the episode before it airs on PBS. Do not use spoiler tags.

Shelagh and Joyce assist a heavily pregnant woman dealing with a severe mold infestation in her new flat. Nancy attends a "Raise the Roof Campaign" meeting against some of her peers' wishes. Trixie takes secret driving lessons from Fred.

Spoiler

In the scene when Nurse Crane is teaching, after profoundly she adds intimate experience.  Joyce observes that more mothers are choosing hospital births; Phyllis says it's because  they're told it's better.  joyce asks isn't it better and points out that statistics sshow that it is safer. Phyllis says home births provide the best of both worlds:dedicated care in the home environment and then swift transfer to hospital should complications arise.

Joyce asks if there is a definitive list of complications that would make transfer necessary. Phyllis says there is, but that she hesitates to call it definitive as even the most skilled midwife might be faced with something new. Joyce says she doesn't like the sound of that. Phyllis chuckles and then Shelagh comes in.

Speaking to Phyllis, Rosalind observes that it's a miracle there are any births considering everything that can go wrong. She answers forewarned is forearmed, and that it's like packing an umbrella and that if you've got one,you won't need it.  Rosalind chuckles and says she'll remember that.  She then asks for permission to pass leaflets about the raise the roof campaign for higher wages for nurses. Phyllis expresses reluctance as she's not sure where she stands. Nursing is a calling, she says, not a career and any suggestion that they are financially motivated will undermine their patients' trust in them.

After the scene where Edna gives birth, Phyllis asks Nancy to keep an eye on Rosalind to make sure she isn't overdoing it in terms of the campaign. Nancy says maybe she has to, maybe they all have to.

After the scene of Edna visiting Tracey in hospital, we switch to Nancy visiting Sahira in her home and telling her that there's nothing better than your own bed and toilet when you're  poorly and that she'll soon pick up.Sahira says the pains are better and her thoughts are clear and that she is feeling very fortunate.  Nancy tells her she knows she's not ready yet but that when she is, she can give her information on how to avoid unwanted pregnancy.  Sahira repeats unwanted pregnancy and Nancy acknowledges she could have put it better and that she understands. Sahira says that she has waited all her life to be a mother because they are told that's what women do and that this news changes everything she is and that Nancy understands nothing.

After the scene of Fred teaching Trixie to drive, we switch to Nancy and Colette at the allotment. Nancy is sitting on a bench and tells Colette in time with the bounce as it will help the words stick. Colette begins bouncing her ball while reciting "The Naming of  Cats." Colette stumbles on a word, and Nancy gives her "kissed the girls and made thm cry as a hint for George. After a while, she says she can stop and that she is doing very well and that with so many sponsors, she's going to make a lot of cats very happy.

Back at Edna's flat, Tracey is home, and Sr. Veronica tells her she cannot sleep on the couch forever. Edna says she can't put her in the back bedroom abd that she's on antibiotics for another week; Sr Veronica says it is unacceptable.

Deleted scenes

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Badger said:

Deleted scenes

Wow, some pretty important character stuff there. So sorry they do this to the episodes in the US. In Australia we get the whole thing.

• Like 5
  • Angry 1
On 3/6/2024 at 4:22 PM, Badger said:
  Reveal spoiler

In the scene when Nurse Crane is teaching, after profoundly she adds intimate experience.  Joyce observes that more mothers are choosing hospital births; Phyllis says it's because  they're told it's better.  joyce asks isn't it better and points out that statistics sshow that it is safer. Phyllis says home births provide the best of both worlds:dedicated care in the home environment and then swift transfer to hospital should complications arise.

Joyce asks if there is a definitive list of complications that would make transfer necessary. Phyllis says there is, but that she hesitates to call it definitive as even the most skilled midwife might be faced with something new. Joyce says she doesn't like the sound of that. Phyllis chuckles and then Shelagh comes in.

Speaking to Phyllis, Rosalind observes that it's a miracle there are any births considering everything that can go wrong. She answers forewarned is forearmed, and that it's like packing an umbrella and that if you've got one,you won't need it.  Rosalind chuckles and says she'll remember that.  She then asks for permission to pass leaflets about the raise the roof campaign for higher wages for nurses. Phyllis expresses reluctance as she's not sure where she stands. Nursing is a calling, she says, not a career and any suggestion that they are financially motivated will undermine their patients' trust in them.

After the scene where Edna gives birth, Phyllis asks Nancy to keep an eye on Rosalind to make sure she isn't overdoing it in terms of the campaign. Nancy says maybe she has to, maybe they all have to.

After the scene of Edna visiting Tracey in hospital, we switch to Nancy visiting Sahira in her home and telling her that there's nothing better than your own bed and toilet when you're  poorly and that she'll soon pick up.Sahira says the pains are better and her thoughts are clear and that she is feeling very fortunate.  Nancy tells her she knows she's not ready yet but that when she is, she can give her information on how to avoid unwanted pregnancy.  Sahira repeats unwanted pregnancy and Nancy acknowledges she could have put it better and that she understands. Sahira says that she has waited all her life to be a mother because they are told that's what women do and that this news changes everything she is and that Nancy understands nothing.

After the scene of Fred teaching Trixie to drive, we switch to Nancy and Colette at the allotment. Nancy is sitting on a bench and tells Colette in time with the bounce as it will help the words stick. Colette begins bouncing her ball while reciting "The Naming of  Cats." Colette stumbles on a word, and Nancy gives her "kissed the girls and made thm cry as a hint for George. After a while, she says she can stop and that she is doing very well and that with so many sponsors, she's going to make a lot of cats very happy.

Back at Edna's flat, Tracey is home, and Sr. Veronica tells her she cannot sleep on the couch forever. Edna says she can't put her in the back bedroom abd that she's on antibiotics for another week; Sr Veronica says it is unacceptable.

Deleted scenes

That is way more than the little snips here and there they usually do. Especially the first part. I really hope it does not portend a trend.

• Like 8
(edited)

I'm almost done with my favorite show.  There's the choppiness from too many plot threads, the deleted scenes and (sorry) so many accents I can't decipher.  I just feel lost.

Trixie's bad driving was tedious and Not Funny.  Almost hitting a baby carriage?  Hilarious?

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Like 8
  • Applause 2

Good episode. Still not getting the names right of the new midwife’s. Some of the accents are hard to understand sometimes. I wonder if we’ll see a return of Sahira, maybe she gets pregnant anyway and there will be a story there. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

the deleted scenes and (sorry) so many accents I can't decipher

I have always had to use closed captioning for any British shows, not just CTM.  While I was working as an RN I got used to deciphering the myriad accents around me.  Hard to do on TV though.

It was an OK episode but the whole Trixie Can't Drive part was just silly.  She is a highly competent individual, used to handling complicated situations, rides a bicycle (which takes balance and coordination), and makes quick decisions.  Watching her weave all over the road was supposed to be comical (I guess) but was really insulting to the character.  Although I did think that wearing heels while trying to learn a brake and clutch might not have been the best footwear choice.

• Like 17
3 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

Although I did think that wearing heels while trying to learn a brake and clutch might not have been the best footwear choice.

Yes, and I couldn't understand why her lesson with Fred caused her red lipstick to come off.

• Like 1
  • LOL 12
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I'm almost done with my favorite show.  There's the choppiness from too many plot threads, the deleted scenes and (sorry) so many accents I can't decipher.  I just feel lost.

Trixie's bad driving was tedious and Not Funny.  Almost hitting a baby carriage?  Hilarious?

38 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

I have always had to use closed captioning for any British shows, not just CTM.  While I was working as an RN I got used to deciphering the myriad accents around me.  Hard to do on TV though.

It was an OK episode but the whole Trixie Can't Drive part was just silly.  She is a highly competent individual, used to handling complicated situations, rides a bicycle (which takes balance and coordination), and makes quick decisions.  Watching her weave all over the road was supposed to be comical (I guess) but was really insulting to the character.  Although I did think that wearing heels while trying to learn a brake and clutch might not have been the best footwear choice.

I so agree with you both. Dealing with clutch and gears was one thing, but steering was ridiculous. I, too, thought the shoes were silly (did she wear them to cycle, I think not). Besides, the clutch is something you feel, best done in sturdy shoes with other than slippery leather soles. The whole driving scenario was a cliched insult to women. (Said the woman who owns and operates a tractor with bucket and backhoe).

• Like 6
  • Love 6

I don't know why they're deleting so many scenes.  It's PBS, if they need an extra few minutes they can bump the schedule.  Personally, I could certainly do without the second reminder of how wonderful it is to travel on a Viking longship.

• Like 8
  • Applause 14

I was happy to see Cyril front and center. Seriously, can we just have him move on from Lucille? Either recast her or divorce or death. 

• Like 18

4 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Good episode. Still not getting the names right of the new midwife’s. Some of the accents are hard to understand sometimes. I wonder if we’ll see a return of Sahira, maybe she gets pregnant anyway and there will be a story there. 

I love your username. I've had to turn on Closed Captioning more than I used to in order to understand the accents. 

4 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

Pupil midwife Rosalind reminded me of Barbara.

Rosalind is a bit more fiery and political than Barbara. 

1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I don't know why they're deleting so many scenes.  It's PBS, if they need an extra few minutes they can bump the schedule.  Personally, I could certainly do without the second reminder of how wonderful it is to travel on a Viking longship.

Here's my thought: Release the full uncut episodes on DVD, then that would give people a real reason/a greater incentive to pledge to PBS and be able to watch the full uncut episodes. That being said, I do think it's really stupid that PBS cuts scenes. 

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I was happy to see Cyril front and center. Seriously, can we just have him move on from Lucille? Either recast her or divorce or death. 

I just posted in another thread that I didn't want to suggest killing off Lucille, because I was worried it would make me look bad, but HUGE YES! Kill her off and let him start a relationship with someone new. 

• Like 10
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I just posted in another thread that I didn't want to suggest killing off Lucille, because I was worried it would make me look bad, but HUGE YES! Kill her off and let him start a relationship with someone new. 

I saw that and responded. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 2
22 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Release the full uncut episodes on DVD, then that would give people a real reason/a greater incentive to pledge to PBS and be able to watch the full uncut episodes.

They did with the seasons I've seen on dvd.  Not sure if they still do.  But they definitely don't mention it during pledge drives.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

They did with the seasons I've seen on dvd.  Not sure if they still do.  But they definitely don't mention it during pledge drives.

I’m pretty sure the dvds have the full episodes, and they’re not trying to sell them to the Brits. They’re getting the max ad money they can per episode and relying on diehard fans to buy up the uncut dvds. (The UNcut versions are not streamed, else dvd sales would plummet).

Edited by Daff
UN
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

Speaking as somebody who learned to drive on a stick shift, having a bit of a heel on your shoe is actually a big help while driving.  Having a heel allows you to keep in contact with the floor while raising and lowering the pedals which gives you more control than if you have to 'hover' your feet.  (IIRC, Mythbusters did a sequence on it and said that high heels weren't necessarily an impairment)

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
6 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

Speaking as somebody who learned to drive on a stick shift, having a bit of a heel on your shoe is actually a big help while driving.  Having a heel allows you to keep in contact with the floor while raising and lowering the pedals which gives you more control than if you have to 'hover' your feet.  (IIRC, Mythbusters did a sequence on it and said that high heels weren't necessarily an impairment)

Others commented on the heels, but I hate how easily the soles of dress shoes can slip off the clutch. Jolting.

39 minutes ago, Daff said:

I’m pretty sure the dvds have the full episodes, and they’re not trying to sell them to the Brits. They’re getting the max ad money they can per episode and relying on diehard fans to buy up the uncut dvds. (The UNcut versions are not streamed, else dvd sales would plummet).

I work at a library and we carry all the seasons available. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I guess it depends on the person driving and how their foot feels on the clutch, because my first car was a stick shift, and I kept a pair of flats in the car to put on before driving.  Then I would put on the heels when I got out of the car.  

• Like 3
9 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I'm almost done with my favorite show.  There's the choppiness from too many plot threads, the deleted scenes a

This  episode seemed to be  particularly bad again. And they seem to be pretty much messing up the storyline about the young nurses  fighting for better wages which is an important story to be told!!! I think they could have cut Collette and her poem.

I can attest that learning to drive a stick shift from your newly wed husband not a good idea LOL! I was just waiting for Mr Trixie to say "car runs on gas!"  🤣

Trixie's driving outfit was great though !

• Like 8
26 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

Speaking as somebody who learned to drive on a stick shift, having a bit of a heel on your shoe is actually a big help while driving. 

And my experience was the opposite.  With a flat shoe, my heel sat on the floor and I connected with each pedal.  I never hovered, my foot was always in contact with the floor.  Still is!

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

accents. 

8 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

Pupil midwife Rosalind reminded me of Barbara.

Rosalind is a bit more fiery and political than Barbara. 

Maybe I have the wrong one. I mean the redhead — her manner and speech reminded me of Barbara.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Speaking as somebody who learned to drive on a stick shift, having a bit of a heel on your shoe is actually a big help while driving.  Having a heel allows you to keep in contact with the floor while raising and lowering the pedals which gives you more control than if you have to 'hover' your feet.

I always felt I had the best feel for the clutch if I was driving barefoot.

15 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I knew they weren't going to let her injury a baby, but the cat had me really scared.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

You mean you don't want to see for the 35th time that 5 minute show about how someone painted a mural in a podunk town in your state?   Or who designed your state capitol?

Not to be picky but that they would have treated that little girl, with mold infection with an antifungal and not an antibiotic.  Amphoteracin B was available back then.  We used to call it shake n bake or amphoterrible because side effects include rigors and fever.  I've taken care of someone with a lung infection from  mold.  He had to come in daily for weeks to be treated.  Luckily there are some treatments now that are not quite so bad.  

Edited by howiveaddict
  • Like 2
  • Useful 6

Given a time limit, I would have cut the driving lessons and the kid's poem in order to leave in some of the more important material.

Cyril is in an awkward situation with the church lady (Mrs. Wallace?) who considers saving souls (i.e. getting people to come to church) as their top priority, while he is trying to help their physical health too.  I have always liked Cyril and hope he succeeds.

• Like 13

I guess I'm odd one out. I enjoyed  this episode,  warts and all. I can drive a stick shift,  but learning  , I was horrible. I   still like the newbies.  I was horrified  at the mold in that home, it made me sad. 

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Daff said:

Well, PBS is American, so why would they be trying to sell uncut DVDs to the Brits?  Maybe I'm just confused by your comment.

15 hours ago, dancingdreamer said:

I was horrified  at the mold in that home, it made me sad. 

I was a bit confused with this storyline because we have seen numerous stories of the horrendous living conditions in Poplar and the effect it had on people's health. Was it that this was a new building, supposedly better but built with shoddy materials and poor craftmanship therefore not much better than he crappy old buildings?

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Was it that this was a new building, supposedly better but built with shoddy materials and poor craftmanship therefore not much better than he crappy old buildings?

That's how I understand it.

• Like 7

What I don't understand about the mold apartment is what exactly those workmen did to suddenly fix it.  I thought the family would be getting a new apartment, not that someone was going to nail paneling over the moldy walls and that would make everything OK. 

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

What I don't understand about the mold apartment is what exactly those workmen did to suddenly fix it.  I thought the family would be getting a new apartment, not that someone was going to nail paneling over the moldy walls and that would make everything OK. 

They showed the workman putting sealant around the window to keep out the moisture and getting rid of the mattress and other mold laden items. The drywall and possibly the studs would have been replaced as well. It is also possible that the studs were covered with sealant in case there were still spores in there.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Well, PBS is American, so why would they be trying to sell uncut DVDs to the Brits?  Maybe I'm just confused by your comment.

Sorry. Didn’t mean to confuse anyone. Just a glib, sarcastic, attempt at humor.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Daff said:

Sorry. Didn’t mean to confuse anyone. Just a glib, sarcastic, attempt at humor.

Ah, makes sense now.  Thanks. 🙂

17 hours ago, Blackie said:

I was a bit confused with this storyline because we have seen numerous stories of the horrendous living conditions in Poplar and the effect it had on people's health. Was it that this was a new building, supposedly better but built with shoddy materials and poor craftmanship therefore not much better than he crappy old buildings?

Yes, this was one of the new apartment blocks built by the council to house people who'd been moved out of the horrible places.  It was probably built quickly and as cheaply as possible, though, so shoddy workmanship and materials happened.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yes, this was one of the new apartment blocks built by the council to house people who'd been moved out of the horrible places.  It was probably built quickly and as cheaply as possible, though, so shoddy workmanship and materials happened.

This reminds me of an Endeavour episode in which a woman had been complaining of damp spots on the walls of one of those council apartment blocks, and it turned out there was something wrong with the construction that led first to the damp and then to the whole building collapsing. Apparently it was based on a real event. I wonder if they might be setting up a story here that also uses that event.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
On 3/25/2024 at 6:44 AM, JudyObscure said:

And a cat! Women drivers, aren’t they the worst?! 🤬

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I'm sure the actor who plays Cyril is longing to do more than just smile and be charming. 

I could have done without the wacky behind-the-wheel adventures of Nurse Trixie Franklin, but her makeup looked so amazing I just concentrated on that. 

• Like 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

I'm sure the actor who plays Cyril is longing to do more than just smile and be charming. 

I could have done without the wacky behind-the-wheel adventures of Nurse Trixie Franklin, but her makeup looked so amazing I just concentrated on that. 

However, the cat was thinking "Here is my chance to show my true acting range. I'll get an Emmy (or whatever the British equivalent is) for this if I can hit my mark and pull off a look of sheer terror then scratch some eyeballs and hiss at my assailant on cue." 

(parts of the scene may have been deleted by PBS for failing to maintain a G rating)

Edited by eel2178
  • Like 2
  • LOL 6