Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Valentine's Day Treats And Credit Card Cheats

• Start Topic

WEDNESDAY, FEB. 14 8:00-8:30 p.m. EST

Becky decides it's time to introduce Tyler to Beverly Rose, but she is skeptical of Tyler's bonding approach. Elsewhere, Jackie believes someone has hacked Bev's credit card when several frivolous charges show up on the bank statement.

• Like 2

OMG, the running joke with Davy Jones/the Monkees...XD. My mom and I got a real kick out of that. I laughed at the "Herman's Hermits" line, too. 

Also liked the storyline with Becky and her boyfriend in regards to Beverly Rose. I'm glad Becky stuck to her stance - totally get Tyler wanting to connect, but yeah, I tended to side more with Becky on this one. 

• Like 7
18 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

OMG, the running joke with Davy Jones/the Monkees...XD. My mom and I got a real kick out of that. I laughed at the "Herman's Hermits" line, too. 

That bit was funny, but the rest I thought was just ridiculous.  Running up Bev's credit cards qualifies for elder abuse, imo, but at the same time, Bev should not have those cards anymore.  I can't believe her credit limit would be so high to sustain those charges, either.  That whole storyline really bothered me.

22 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I'm glad Becky stuck to her stance - totally get Tyler wanting to connect, but yeah, I tended to side more with Becky on this one. 

I definitely side with Becky.  

• Like 9
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

That bit was funny, but the rest I thought was just ridiculous.  Running up Bev's credit cards qualifies for elder abuse, imo, but at the same time, Bev should not have those cards anymore.  I can't believe her credit limit would be so high to sustain those charges, either.  That whole storyline really bothered me.

Fraud and financial abuse of an elderly woman who is no longer capable of handling her own finances. When did they become criminals again?

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Also liked the storyline with Becky and her boyfriend in regards to Beverly Rose. I'm glad Becky stuck to her stance - totally get Tyler wanting to connect, but yeah, I tended to side more with Becky on this one. 

Becky was right, but honestly, she should have spoken to him the moment he started handing cash out. 

• Like 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Starchild said:

This didn't sit right. They've always been terrible with money, but they've never been thieves and fraudsters. Very unsettling.

Totally agreed.  They've stooped to a new low.  I'd have thought Ben would have said something.  How stupid of them not to realize that it was not only excessive enough to be flagged for suspicious activity but they'd also ask Bev about it.  Not only unethical but just plain stupid.

I am somehow not buying Becky and Tyler as a couple.  Maybe it's partly because I remember him from a brief but memorable small role on "Big Bang Theory".

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 8

It reminds me of the difference between the early days of the original Roseanne and the later seasons. There was an episode in a later season where Roseanne and Jackie ordered a new stove for the Lunch Box and two were delivered by mistake and they were scheming to keep the second one and sell it. They never would have done that in the early days. They sacrificed the integrity of the characters for some cheap laughs.

And the reconciliation between Bev and Dan was already done in the original series, in the episode where Roseanne hurt her back and Bev came to help out. Dan was not happy because Bev was treating the kids and undermining him and there was a blow up. She later apologized and told him that he had been a great husband and father even though she and Al hadn’t been thrilled about the marriage at the outset.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, OLynn33 said:

"Daddy I'm scared."

I laughed. Echoes of the original series for me in this moment. 

Yes! Literally the only line that made me laugh.

Maybe the series will wrap up with everyone in prison, ala Seinfeld. 🙄

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

It reminds me of the difference between the early days of the original Roseanne and the later seasons. There was an episode in a later season where Roseanne and Jackie ordered a new stove for the Lunch Box and two were delivered by mistake and they were scheming to keep the second one and sell it. They never would have done that in the early days. They sacrificed the integrity of the characters for some cheap laughs.

Even the stove had some balance to it iirc. The first stove delivery guy was a major jerk, and Roseanne made at least a cursory attempt to refuse delivery on the second stove before thinking "well maybe I deserve this..." and plotting to sell it. And DJ (in his brief religious phase) got involved and started telling her that she shouldn't, and then a THIRD stove rolled around and I believe at that point she decided that while one free stove might be deserved karma, two was just not right. 

My memory of the episode, anyway. It was a little more nuanced than just having no morals.

The one that really shocked me in terms of integrity was the Disney World episode where Roseanne was just cheerfully cancelling other people's holidays for her own convenience. ha-ha, so funny, other families who've done literally nothing to her will show up at the airport and discover they have no tickets anymore. Ugh.

Even the blatant grocery shoplifting Roseanne did in the revival season was better than that IMO.

(So sadly it's not quite true that they've never been thieves and fraudsters)

• Like 7
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Totally agreed.  They've stooped to a new low.  I'd have thought Ben would have said something.  How stupid of them not to realize that it was not only excessive enough to be flagged for suspicious activity but they'd also ask Bev about it.  Not only unethical but just plain stupid.

I bought a computer several years ago; spent around $500 at Staples, then went to Target and spent another $50 or so. I got a call from the credit card company shortly after I got home (maybe half an hour after the second purchase), making sure it was really me. Now I have an alert set to send me an email if a transaction is over $100. Usually I hear the email ping on my phone before I even get out of the store (sometimes before I even get my wallet put away).

I guess Ben has just given up. Or been assimilated.

• Like 7

This episode bothered me.

Jackie, the "life coach" raiding her mother's credit card and gleefully helping others to go along?  Didn't anyone have a shred of morality? I was waiting for Ben to intervene; and was quite disappointed when he didn't.

I'd love to see them hauled into court for fraud and elder abuse.

Neville was right, they are a family of grifters, his wife being the chief offender.

The kid who plays Beverly Rose annoys me.  

• Like 13

I was surprised to see this episode on my DVR this morning. I had thought the show was not coming back and got cancelled. Then my husband said he heard it was going to be on Net Flix or one of those pay streaming channels. I just never changed my recording selections on the DVR. 

I vaguely remember the last episode of last season (it's been so long) how did Becky and Tyler get together? Isn't he a former classmate of hers?

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

I vaguely remember the last episode of last season (it's been so long) how did Becky and Tyler get together? Isn't he a former classmate of hers?

I think he was a customer at the restaurant? I tried to find a recap or something but couldn't; found an article that says "...season 5, episode 20, "What's So Funny About Peas, Love, and Understanding?” This outing saw Jackie and Louise attempt to boost Becky’s confidence by writing a fake romantic note from a customer, only for Astin’s unassuming patron Tyler to take responsibility for the letter."

(There was a former classmate that she hooks up with briefly but that wasn't him.)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

This episode completely ignored the previous one, there was no mention of Harris working at The Lunch Box, Jackie was there as usual and Louise was missing in action altogether. Clearly these were shot out of order.

It's nice to see that Estelle Parsons is still well enough to work but it's hard seeing Bev acting so frail and not quite all there. The Scottish terriers were cute as hell though. Two puppies is probably way too much work for an elderly person, but it might not be so awful for her to have one companion animal since nobody in her family ever seems to visit. Not sure she has the wherewithal to take care of a pet, but is she in some kind of nursing home or assisted living facility? There was mention of a nurse, so as long as someone is checking in on her regularly it might be OK. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I guess Ben has just given up. Or been assimilated.

Seriously, he was a head strong, ambitious man when he was first introduced. They’ve turned him into David. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, Pi237 said:

Seriously, he was a head strong, ambitious man when he was first introduced. They’ve turned him into David. 

David had more of a spine when he was first introduced as well. It seems to be a factor of what the writers want out of a partner for Darlene in order to bounce jokes and demonstrate her bossiness.

• Like 6

Jackie being in on the credit card plot was out of character for her considering she was once a cop.. and even told Darlene in the original series that her scheme to buy a VCR on credit and return it numerous times in order to actually afford it was illegal.

The Becky subplot was the winner in this episode.

• Like 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Jackie being in on the credit card plot was out of character for her considering she was once a cop.

I don't know about that. Unfortunately the show has settled on "Wacky Jackie" as an easy joke. And it's not a new direction, it's what the character eventually became in the final years of the original show. She's like a cartoon character. You'd think this was a Chuck Lorre show, he thinks characters that are pathetic and stupid are hilarious. It's really the show's biggest problem.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 6
(edited)

Just reading the comments really paints a picture of the writing for the show is still downhill especially for Becky. 

And bleh Tyler, the dan clone

All the guys that go through the women on ‘The Conners’ eventually have a personality shift or lose traits they had at first  they are like the Kardashians of sitcom tv

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Like 3
15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Two puppies is probably way too much work for an elderly person, but it might not be so awful for her to have one companion animal since nobody in her family ever seems to visit. Not sure she has the wherewithal to take care of a pet, but is she in some kind of nursing home or assisted living facility? There was mention of a nurse, so as long as someone is checking in on her regularly it might be OK. 

In the residence that my mother is in, the memory care residents are forbidden to have pets. Even in the Assisted Living section, the residents can only have pets if they have the ability to fully take care of them. The place is very clear that their caretakers are there to care for the people and not any animals that might be living there.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I’m going to sit at my table for one and sip on a drink. Although the subject matter wasn’t the best, the episode made me laugh.  So glad to see Bev again.  There are so few sitcoms these days, that I only care about the entertainment factor.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Reading about the bev plot….do the writers even understand how dementia works.. I told a co-worker about the storyline because I know her grandmother had dementia and she was annoyed that they write it so carelessly on the show

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

Reading about the bev plot….do the writers even understand how dementia works.. I told a co-worker about the storyline because I know her grandmother had dementia and she was annoyed that they write it so carelessly on the show

Why should the dementia storyline be any different?

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Im a 90s kid said:
18 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Why should the dementia storyline be any different?

What do you mean? 

I think @chitowngirl means the writing isn't realistic across the board on this show. No reason the writers would suddenly feel the need to make any particular storyline realistic.

• Like 7
(edited)

Darlene is supposed to be Bev’s POA.  That is part of the reason she didn’t want Jackie to reopen the lunch box.  So why is Jackie managing Bev’s money now rather than Darlene.  And Darlene is definitely not acting in Bev’s best interest. 

In the real world, someone would be going to jail. 

Furthermore, the credit card company is not going to just charge off the credit card balance when Bev dies.  The estate will need to pay it if there is money left.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 2/15/2024 at 10:39 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Jackie being in on the credit card plot was out of character for her considering she was once a cop..

But didn't she consider colluding with Becky about filing a worker's comp. claim until Neville told her it was fraud and she could go to jail?

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Darlene's "Who makes a fraction of what her male co-pilot makes" when Tyler says the model plane's pilot is a woman made me laugh, and I liked Becky's story in general this episode.  Tyler panicking when Beverly Rose was rude about the candy and adding some cash wasn't a huge deal, but that he kept on once out of panic mode was over the line, and then when he completely ignored what Becky was saying to Beverly Rose about where they'd be going?  Oh, hell no.  No one knows less about children than I do, and I know that was stupid and wrong.  He finally got it, but Becky shouldn't have had to spell it out for him.  I like that she's determined her kid is not going to be an entitled little shit like so many.

How the hell high is Bev's credit limit on her card that she can put $10k on it, only pay the minimum each month, and still have room for the family to charge all these other big ticket items?  And what happened to her savings, that before they came up with this stupid idea a simple phone call would wipe out that debt upon her death they were acting like they wouldn't be able to pay it out of the estate?  Has she drained it paying for her care?  Because that would be sadly realistic, but it was not mentioned.  In fact, Jackie talked like she'd have to personally pay, but that would only happen if she was a joint cardholder or had co-signed. 

(Also, as noted above -- what happened to Darlene's power of attorney, did that change after everyone fought about using Bev's money to have another go at The Lunch Box?)

The whole thing was muddled, and then everyone signed on to this gross idea of charging their own shit on her card and is shocked that the bank called Bev to verify?  Morons.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Darlene is supposed to be Bev’s POA.  That is part of the reason she didn’t want Jackie to reopen the lunch box.  So why is Jackie managing Bev’s money now rather than Darlene.  And Darlene is definitely not acting in Bev’s best interest. 

In the real world, someone would be going to jail. 

Furthermore, the credit card company is not going to just charge off the credit card balance when Bev dies.  The estate will need to pay it if there is money left.  

Darlene is not Bev’s power of attorney anymore. Bev removed her after she allowed Jackie to reopen the Lunch Box. 

Edited by Im a 90s kid
  • Useful 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Im a 90s kid said:

Darlene is not Bev’s power of attorney anymore. Bev removed her after she allowed Jackie to reopen the Lunch Box. 

Sorry if this is knowledge to people who follow the show more closely than I do but does anyone have POA with Bev now?  Does Jackie?  Because she's paying her bills for her.  I would think someone would have it if she were diagnosed with dementia or Alzheimer's.  Has she been diagnosed? 

Also, if someone did and the credit card company called Bev to verify those charges, couldn't the person with POA call them back and explain that to them and that she wouldn't necessarily remember any charges that she made on the card?  I'm just conjecturing.

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

How the hell high is Bev's credit limit on her card that she can put $10k on it, only pay the minimum each month, and still have room for the family to charge all these other big ticket items?  And what happened to her savings, that before they came up with this stupid idea a simple phone call would wipe out that debt upon her death they were acting like they wouldn't be able to pay it out of the estate?  Has she drained it paying for her care?  Because that would be sadly realistic, but it was not mentioned.  In fact, Jackie talked like she'd have to personally pay, but that would only happen if she was a joint cardholder or had co-signed.

As someone I know would say in this situation, "If you're looking for logic here, you're not going to find it"!  Yeah, what about her savings if any?  I think they thought that charging to her credit card would spare her savings.  Otherwise they'd feel more like they were stealing from her and not the credit card company.  I guess they somehow thought that wasn't as bad a thing to do.  Of course it's screwed up.

As to credit card limits, mine are up past $15,000 and $25,000 now.  If you do nothing and your bills are paid every month some credit card companies will continue to raise your limit even if you don't want or ask for it.  I still don't have much of a limit on one VISA I have.  Go figure.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

As to credit card limits, mine are up past $15,000 and $25,000 now.  If you do nothing and your bills are paid every month some credit card companies will continue to raise your limit even if you don't want or ask for it.  I still don't have much of a limit on one VISA I have.  Go figure.

I have a card like that. I literally didn't use it for years and they kept raising the limit. I could have bought my car on that thing and still had plenty of room left over. (I started using it once in a while when I bought my condo, because when my mortgage guy pulled my credit he told me what it would do to my credit score if they ever decided to cancel it for lack of use, so now I have my cable bill automatically charged to it, and I'll use it once in a while for groceries or gas or whatever.) The card I do use most often has a much lower limit (I think it's at 10K, and that's still well beyond what I'm ever likely to spend in a month), and I pay them both off every month.

• Like 1

heh, I have one card with a stupidly high limit because I got it long, long ago in a time period when banks were overly generous with credit. It's never gone up, but I can't imagine ever spending that kind of money on it in a year, much less a month! 

credit card limits can be surprisingly random.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Sorry if this is knowledge to people who follow the show more closely than I do but does anyone have POA with Bev now?  Does Jackie?  Because she's paying her bills for her.  I would think someone would have it if she were diagnosed with dementia or Alzheimer's.  Has she been diagnosed? 

To my knowledge, no one else became power of attorney after Darlene and Bev wasn't officially diagnosed but at the time it was clear Bev was in need of around the clock care and Jackie couldn't provide that for her so she got a caretaker to look after her. Now in this current episode, Bev is apparently showing improvement with her condition. Seriously, who is writing this show?🤦‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
On 2/17/2024 at 1:16 PM, iMonrey said:

I think @chitowngirl means the writing isn't realistic across the board on this show. No reason the writers would suddenly feel the need to make any particular storyline realistic.

I agree 100%. The people running this show don't care about realistic storylines. All they care about is creating drama. 

• Like 3
On 2/17/2024 at 11:58 PM, Bastet said:

Beverly Rose was rude about the candy

By the way, Beverly Rose is not a vey nice kid. Who in her terrible family is she modeling her behaviour from, I wonder.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, Im a 90s kid said:

To my knowledge, no one else became power of attorney after Darlene and Bev wasn't officially diagnosed but at the time it was clear Bev was in need of around the clock care and Jackie couldn't provide that for her so she got a caretaker to look after her. Now in this current episode, Bev is apparently showing improvement with her condition. Seriously, who is writing this show?🤦‍♀️

1) It was also made clear that Bev couldn't afford round-the-clock care by herself at home in that episode and that Jackie would have to help pay. Which would place Jackie under considerable financial strain, which we have not seen. And if Bev (understandably) can't pay $5000 per month or whatever for a full-time caretaker herself, she's not going to be able to make her minimum cc payments, either.

2) Becky and Tyler must be very quiet when they canoodle since Becky shares a bedroom with Beverly Rose. And Mark's window seat/bed living room set up was visible in this episode, so they better not be using the living room couch that Darlene is so protective of. I hate when shows utilize the paucity of bedrooms for storylines when it's convenient, and then pretend there's no limit when it's not.

3) Dan is going to have a cow when he finds out how expensive vet care is for 2 (purebred?) dogs. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Dan is going to have a cow when he finds out how expensive vet care is for 2 (purebred?) dogs.

He got Bev's nurse to take them.

(edited)
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

1) It was also made clear that Bev couldn't afford round-the-clock care by herself at home in that episode and that Jackie would have to help pay. Which would place Jackie under considerable financial strain, which we have not seen. And if Bev (understandably) can't pay $5000 per month or whatever for a full-time caretaker herself, she's not going to be able to make her minimum cc payments, either.

2) Becky and Tyler must be very quiet when they canoodle since Becky shares a bedroom with Beverly Rose. Ane Mark's window seat/bed living room set up was visible in this episode, so they better not be using the living room couch that Darlene is so protective of. I hate when shows utilize the paucity of bedrooms for storylines when it's convenient, and then pretend there's no limit when it's not.

3) Dan is going to have a cow when he finds out how expensive vet care is for 2 (purebred?) dogs. 

I agree with you they have not explored at all the financial strain Jackie is under with trying to take care of her mother. The thing I wonder is if Bev was so bad and needed care what was she doing with a credit card anyway? She wouldn't need one so why didn't Jackie or one of the other family members cancel it so that Bev or someone else would be unable to use it? This kind of writing is what annoys me about this show because it is so lazy in the way they put zero effort into explaining anything. They just expect the audience to accept whatever information they give them and not question it. 

As for Tyler and Becky, if they want to fool around why couldn't they make plans to go somewhere else to do it? It is so gross to think that Becky did it while her daughter was in the room with her or in the living room where her nephew could hear that. I agree it is ridiculous how they are always playing loose with the continuity whenever it is convenient for them. 

Edited by Im a 90s kid
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

And Mark's window seat/bed living room set up was visible in this episode, 

Hasn’t Mark gone off to college at this point? Or is he still living at home?

if only there was a veterinarian in the family…

• LOL 2
On 2/19/2024 at 8:53 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Hasn’t Mark gone off to college at this point? Or is he still living at home?

I assumed he was living at home to save money, but who knows what Darlene's indenture-hood covers.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I assumed he was living at home to save money, but who knows what Darlene's indenture-hood covers.

Oh of course you’re right, the college must be local since Darlene’s working there. 

• Like 1

I don't like the way Becky treats Beverly Rose and I don't like the kid but to me she seems like she's using her as some kind of experiment or test for her physch degree. I cannot STAND the condescending way she speaks to her--not like a mother at all and her way of "correcting" her is just---no!  She doesn't sound like a mother at all.

Of course, this may be colored by the fact that I dislike both actresses.

• Applause 1