Type keyword(s) to search

S19: Lolo Jones: All Around Athlete

• Start Topic

Lolo Jones, born in Des Moines, Iowa, is one of the greatest track athletes of her generation and one of the greatest American hurdlers of all time. The American record holder at 60 meters, Lolo was a three-time national champion at Louisiana State University (which led to being named All-American 11 times). After college, she only got faster, winning the U.S. indoor national championship three times, and then she topped that by winning gold medals at the indoor World Championships twice. In addition to  appearances at the 2008 and 2012 Summer Olympics for hurdles, Lolo became just the 10th American in history to compete in both the Summer and Winter Olympics, as a member of the U.S. Bobsled Team for the 2014 Games in Sochi, Russia. LOLO JONES partners with new “Dancing with the Stars”

Dancing with Keo Motsepe.

I can tell I won't like this woman. I don't know who she is but what an attitude. That dance sucked but her defensiveness is worse. Did she blame the whole thing on a text not showing up on her prop in the opening moments of the dance?

• Love 1

That was...not master p level bad but ouch. Not sure why she blamed the fake text though because the music should have cued her instead. And completely left Keo hanging on the high ten which was too bad as he's pretty damn adorable.

Edited by mtlchick

Hopefully she'll learn to curb her "discussions" after the dance.  Shorter sentences, shorter paragraphs, etc.  I feel for her, between nerves, knowing she messed up, beating herself up in her head, etc.  But smile, say "thank you" or even "You're right, I messed that up" and leave it at that.  

• Love 1

Keo is lovely, his spirit seems so warm and sweet, why did he have to get saddled with such a sour puss? If only he'd gotten Chong instead...

Honestly Lolo's meltdown tonight ended up reminding me of her attitude after she lost her "sure fire win" hurdle race in her first Olympics, when she screwed up and lost her mind. She's uptight in more ways than one and poor Keo, I just don't know if he can help her. And if I have to hear about her "old maid" status, so to speak, her virginity one more time...

• Love 2

A bitch-face excuse-maker will never win the Mirror Ball, even if they are the most technically proficient dancer to ever grace the DWTS floor. She's out soon. Keo seems to have a great spirit, apparently none rubbed off on Lolo.

• Love 1

I've never liked her, having seen the media around her Olympic games, so I'm not at all surprised that she's uptight, sour, negative and defensive. I'm bummed about Keo, because there is no way with her attitude and her poor dancing skills that they'll stick around long. Frankly, she's my pick to go home this week.

When you compare her to Betsey, who also had a prop fail that messed up her dance, Betsey was so cheery and upbeat. Lolo could learn a thing or two from Betsey.

• Love 1

That was hard to watch. I kept telling her through the tv to Shut it, Lolo, Just Shut up!

If she could have smiled, thrown up her hands and kind of laughed at herself a little, it would have come off better (although the scores were already turned in).

Wouldn't be surprised if she was first to go. Also, Keo might have benefitted from a season in the troupe so he'd have a better idea of how to handle a difficult star.

• Love 1

Ugh, I know of Lolo from the Olympics (I'm an Olympic nut) and I didn't have high expectations for her coming in to this. Let's just say her attitude last night fit exactly what I expected from her. She is a routine choker and she never blames herself for her poor showing.

• Love 4

A couple hours before the performance, Lolo posted a selfie-type picture on twitter of herself and Keo. It is the most unflattering picture of him possible, and she looks like a supermodel. He is not an unattractive guy, but she just is one of "those" friends who posts pictures where she is the only one who looks good. I know I'm reaching, but she is just a brat. 

• Love 2

I understand getting flustered but it wasn't just forgetting the choreography. She was awkward at what she did remember. Even worse than the excuses and the negative attitude afterward was that she kept interrupting Tom and the judges. RUDE! Between her attitude and her lack of dance skills, she will not last long.

She is a routine choker and she never blames herself for her poor showing.

This is it in a nutshell. And what was also surprising was her complaining that she did the routine great in practice every time and only messed it up once - during the performance. Duh! As an athlete, she shoukd know that's all that matters - how you do when the gun goes off. With the pressure on, and other competitors in the mix. She chocked. Again. Glad she's gone.

Good riddance. The right person left this week-or, rather, the right contestant left this week. Unfortunately, it was at her partner Keo's expense. Based on what I've seen so far, Keo's talented, humble and sexy while Lo Lo's neither. When Betsey Johnson, a 72-year-old woman, and Tommy Chong, a 76-year-old man, have more rhythm, flexibility, personality and much better attitudes than someone less than half their age, that's pathetic, to say the least.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

This was on Lolo's Facebook (it is a verified page with the checkmark)

Lolo Jones

15 hours ago via Facebook Mentions.

My prayer tonight is for God to soften me and my heart. When you go so many times rejected in public you put walls up. When I was dancing last night and messed up I had flashbacks of the three Olympics and that people constantly tease me about. I thought oh no here it comes again. People are going to ridicule me. I'm so tired of feeling embarrassed.

I joined the other competitors upstairs and I couldn't force a smile on my face. I felt like vomiting and in between the other dances I went in a back room and fought back tears. I felt so broken. So unlovable. Embarssed.

My brief time on #DWTS was a lasting lesson. I really wanted to stay on the show and have the layers of hurt wash away by showing the public how hard I work. I wanted to come away a victor for once. I wanted to do so good performing in public that the haters would stop teasing me.

But that is my way of thinking. Not Gods. Instead I need to trust God that he would heal my heart. That I would not work so hard for the world to validate and redeem me but know that God already conquered that for me on the cross.

My time was brief but the lesson is lasting. Thank you everyone who wrote me kind messages. You were helping me not fall into darkness.

Love ya guys (see I'm getting softer )

My prayer for tonight
Psalm 147:3
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

I actually feel for her.  I used to be an athlete, although never at her level, and I get extremely nervous before comps too.  She has all the talent in the world and even before her first Olympics people hated her because of her looks.  I respect that statement. 

• Love 1

Her facebook post is just pathetic, opening herself up to more ridicule from the people she's (stupidly) battling on social media.  I can't imagine writing something like that and publishing it to the world.  It would have been a good journal entry to keep private or share with her therapist, but putting that out there to the public? Just asking for more pain.

I guess the show brought her on for Hope Solo-style drama. Ugh.

I wish DWTS had showcased the Olympic gold medalist hurdler, Dawn Harper.  Dawn is probably too well-adjusted to be considered a catch by the producers.

• Love 1

Lolo needs to realize that haters will hate on you no matter what you do, so don't expend energy to those people and rather, hone that Olympic athlete FOCUS we hear so much about. "I didn't hear the plops" [of the texts] makes for an unfortunate exit, though as others have said, if she had made light of it perhaps it could've made a difference. Or maybe not, she was pretty stiff out on the floor.

• Love 1

She was painful to watch, yes, but I did feel bad for her in the way I'd feel bad for anyone who comes across that tightly wound and awkward. I personally don't get entitled vibes from her, more like she's just carrying a lot of emotional baggage on her shoulders that she doesn't know how to deal with or express properly. She just seems SO up tight and self-conscious to me, almost like she's suppressing a lot. It's probably best that she's gone, but I still feel sympathetic to anyone who comes across as so burdened and in a prison of their own making.

Edited by KFC
  • Love 5

She was painful to watch, yes, but I did feel bad for her in the way I'd feel bad for anyway who comes across that tightly wound and awkward. I personally don't get entitled vibes from her, more like she's just carrying a lot of emotional baggage on her shoulders that she doesn't know how to deal with or express properly. She just seems SO up tight and self-conscious to me, almost like she's suppressing a lot. It's probably best that she's gone, but I still feel sympathetic to anyone who comes across as so burdened and in a prison of their own making.

Hmm...what could she be suppressing? Heh.

Just when it seems like LoLo couldn't get more annoying, she does. Calling her post-elimination rant on Facebook cringe-worthy would be an understatement. She should have kept it to herself, just like her story about not dancing with a guy since her prom night, when her date told her that she couldn't dance. As an Olympics fan, I've followed LoLo's career for years and it's been one epic fail after another, from track & field to bobsledding. Her career has always been more style than substance and DWTS is more proof.

I don't feel the least bit sorry for LoLo. Since she's not the first female athlete who's ever competed on the show, she should have known what to expect. Amy Purdy, the Paralympian contestant from last season who lost her legs years ago, not only did much better than LoLo, she made it to the Finals. My sympathy is with Keo, LoLo's former partner. He wasted all his time, talent and effort on someone who wasn't worth it. I respect other peoples' choice to save themselves for marriage but IMO at this point it's done her way more harm than good. I don't think Lolo's a "freak" on that score, unlike Wendy Williams, who thinks that's what anyone who's a virgin past a certain age is, but a good fuck, if done right, wouldn't kill her.

Edited by DollEyes

This was on Lolo's Facebook (it is a verified page with the checkmark)..

Oh my goodness!  This 32-year-old woman sounds like she has the emotional development and maturity of a 10-year-old girl with enormous self-esteem problems.  Something is seriously wrong with her (imo), and she needs a lot of some kind of help she'll never get on social media or from being on reality shows.  The compassionate part of me hopes she gets help and someday becomes a happier, healthier human being.  The selfish part of me is so glad she was the first week's cut so I don't have to watch her bitch face and grandiose attitude anymore when I'm just trying to have a fun time watching a TV show.  Geeze.

I joined the other competitors upstairs and I couldn't force a smile on my face. I felt like vomiting and in between the other dances I went in a back room and fought back tears. I felt so broken. So unlovable. Embarssed.

HINT:  Other celebrity dancers are just as nervous as you are.  Try giving THEM a break...don't roll your eyes or give disapproving looks while they're dancing or being judged.  If you can think some good thoughts of others, you might forget an insecurity or two.

She seems ungracious. I don't know if I can blame her virginity on that. I figure she'd be like that even if she was having sex. Some people just have unpleasant personalities. 

Therapy might help her out though. Is she seeing a therapist? And if not, why hasn't anyone recommended this to her yet?

Edited by bantering