Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

I really liked Krystal a lot as well as her whole family.  What a great way to start the season, with a truly motivated person who is determined to lose the weight.  She's going to succeed and I can't wait to see her in a WATN episode.

Her youngest daughter is her spitting image!

• Like 9

Krystal was better than most as far as doing the work but I honestly couldn’t see a difference in her from the beginning of the show to the end. Her exercises looked too easy for being a year in. 
They also left too much blank. Why didn’t the parents wait to sell their pigsty house until Krystal got to Texas? What does the daughter do other than push moms wheelchair? What does the husband do? 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
(edited)

In a change in their usual schedule, the Supersize edition of this episode is on tonight, TLC 7 to 9 p.m. Central.   

I'm really hoping for a great update one of these days on her.   I hope the entire family embraced the change in diet, and nutrition, and are all healthier. 

With the parents selling the house, maybe they already had an agreement to buy another house and couldn't wait, or they got an offer they couldn't turn down that was not flexible about closing dates.     Or there was some other reason the parents had to sell and move with a specific deadline, and they didn't want to discuss it on TV.   Since it looked like a large property, sometimes they can be hard to sell, so if you get a good offer, you take it.  

I was surprised at how different Krystal looked from the first appointment to the final update.     That park at the end looked like a fun place to visit.     Since Krystal is doing so well, staying around Houston is a great option for Krystal and family.   I hope she'll keep improving, and can eventually get help with her pain issues.   Houston is a fantastic place with lots of resources for that to happen.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

I was pleasantly surprised with this episode. I'm glad they started with a positive story. Even being stranded on the side of the road for hours didn't result in a meltdown or anything (at least not that they showed, and I'm sure they would if it happened). I hope they get things under control as a family before the little one gets those bad habits too ingrained. She's got time to learn healthy habits without the lasting damage her mom will certainly carry with her.

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I was pleasantly surprised with this episode. I'm glad they started with a positive story. Even being stranded on the side of the road for hours didn't result in a meltdown or anything (at least not that they showed, and I'm sure they would if it happened). I hope they get things under control as a family before the little one gets those bad habits too ingrained. She's got time to learn healthy habits without the lasting damage her mom will certainly carry with her.

I was impressed by how she handled the car breakdown! She didn’t have a fit, just took it as it came and handled it. Bravo. 

• Like 9

A genuinely nice person, a functional family unit, no fighting, no apparent drug use, no pity party or meltdowns. I was a little leery of the BF but he was wanting Krystal healthier for real.  Despite a broken down car, living temporarily in what looked like a sad filthy homeless camp, they got to Houston & she really got it together big time.  I wish her & her family so much luck & happiness.  Great episode. 

• Like 11
(edited)
13 hours ago, Chatty Cake said:

Why didn’t the parents wait to sell their pigsty house until Krystal got to Texas? What does the daughter do other than push moms wheelchair? What does the husband do? 

Yes, those thoughts also occurred to me. 

Another instance where the "pounder" squeezes behind the wheel of her car with the husband on the passenger side.  Why doesn't he drive and as for work, perhaps he is her "care giver?"

She did seem motivated. 

My question is WHY they spend almost half the show on the prelim to her visiting Dr. Now and then, once she takes the enormous steps to move to Houston and make some progress, all those months are squeezed into the last 15 mins of the episode. 

Mention was made of her certainly being shown on a future WATN episode.  However, in the past few years, those episodes were very "few and far between".  I always took that to mean that the "pounder" either "backslid" or simply didn't want the inconvenience of continuing to be filmed.  Maybe Kristel will be an exception.

Last, each season, I'm always looking for even a scintilla of change in format; however, as with all previous seasons, none are seen (with the exception of Dr. Now apparently using a much more skilled hair "colorist" to hide his grey and give him a more "natural" style).  Other than that (and the new weigh-in gal) nary a change.  (Not that I'm complaining because I'm not)😉

Edited by pdlinda
  • Like 3
(edited)

I suspect neither Krystal nor her husband "do" anything in terms of a job.  As for her weight, I agree with the poster who didn't see any difference throughout the whole show!  I was surprised Dr. Now was being so nice and lenient with her and proceeded with the surgery.  Maybe she lost weight, but it just doesn't show on her as much as it does on others???

Edited by Dibs
  • Like 4
(edited)

Wow, I looked closer at the Suburban breakdown, and there were flames!    I think the camera crew or producer told Krystal and Rai to get out quickly.   I love how Krystal's family pulled together and supported her diet and exercise program. 

I suspect Damian was employed, but I bet the company didn't want to be mentioned on air, or have anything showing where he worked.   The producers might not want to give free publicity to a company either, or have to blur out logos.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, SDVegas said:

I was impressed by how she handled the car breakdown! She didn’t have a fit, just took it as it came and handled it. Bravo. 

She handled that a whole lot better than I would have! When I watched last night while Live Chatting, I missed this shot of their windshield! 

IMG_5480.jpeg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Why doesn't he drive and as for work, perhaps he is her "care giver?"

When she first talked about having to move back in with her parents, she did mention that she couldn’t be home alone while the kids were in school and Damian was at work. 
And later he was shown driving. 

• Like 6

I really liked her. And from what we saw, it looks like her family just loves her to pieces. Damian impressed me that he genuinely wants to see her lose the weight and get healthy. She had a lot of determination. And yea, she handled that car situation very well. She could have been whining and asking for food, but no, she didn't. And did I miss it or did she not really eat huge amounts on the show? 

• Like 4
(edited)

I'd have to watch again to see if I hear a reference to Damien working.  Other husbands have worked without producers naming their employers, but they show them going off to work.  I got the impression he was a either a paid family caregiver (Medicaid covers that) or on disability himself, as he seemed a little slow.  Her parents invited them to live with them so they could "help out," maybe with the driving/kids.  Nevertheless, I agree that I've never seen such a loving family!  Damien seemed to absolutely adore her, as well as the parents and nieces.  No family dysfunction there, so that can't account for her obesity!  I personally believe a lot of it is biological: genetic and/or hormonal.  Apologies to Dr. Now!

Edited by Dibs
  • Like 8

Once again I’m wondering why nothing was done for Krystal when she was younger. She started kindergarten at over 100 pounds!! Why didn’t anyone intervene then?!

It was also noteworthy that her husband and daughters were all carrying extra weight. They should all have joined Krystal on her diet, not only to support her but for their health, too. Her older daughter really was getting a workout pushing the wheelchair - I’ll bet she has a strong core! 

• Like 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, magemaud said:

When she first talked about having to move back in with her parents, she did mention that she couldn’t be home alone while the kids were in school and Damian was at work. 
And later he was shown driving. 

Thanks so much for clarifying those points.  I missed that completely.

Edited by pdlinda
  • Like 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

And did I miss it or did she not really eat huge amounts on the show? 

I also noticed that there were no scenes when she was "inhaling" massive amounts of food. 

Someone upthread mentioned that maybe there was some clinical (genetic/hormonal) reason for her morbid obesity. 

Wouldn't Dr. Now do a battery of tests on her before doing surgery?  I know I had 3 joints(2 hips, 1 knee) replaced and there were numerous diagnostic tests done prior to surgery.

Mention was also made of her very early onset of obesity.  Wouldn't she have had a history of clinical testing throughout her life?

IMO, her supportive family (including Damien) was a big reason she was ready, willing and able to make the changes she will need to lose the weight and keep it off.  Good Luck to her!!

Edited by pdlinda
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Once again I’m wondering why nothing was done for Krystal when she was younger. She started kindergarten at over 100 pounds!! Why didn’t anyone intervene then?!

It was also noteworthy that her husband and daughters were all carrying extra weight. They should all have joined Krystal on her diet, not only to support her but for their health, too. Her older daughter really was getting a workout pushing the wheelchair - I’ll bet she has a strong core! 

I thought her husband started the diet with her as well. The daughter, I'm not so sure. Maybe with healthier food in the house, it will be helpful for her? 

• Like 2

This was a strange episode to me. Sure, she lost some weight.  But so many months and she still doesn’t look smaller or have better mobility.  It seems like it’s all sweet and happy towards her, but I don’t see it.  Is this the new kinder softer Dr Now?  

• Useful 1
31 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

This was a strange episode to me. Sure, she lost some weight.  But so many months and she still doesn’t look smaller or have better mobility.  It seems like it’s all sweet and happy towards her, but I don’t see it.  Is this the new kinder softer Dr Now?  

As Dr. Now says, the scale doesn’t lie. She didn’t look much smaller but by the end of the show, hadn’t she lost like 180 pounds? And she’d spent a bunch of that time living in a falling-apart greenhouse. I give her all the credit in the world for doing it and having such a good attitude.

• Like 12
17 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I agree; it was very strange.  A few years ago he'd have been ripping her a new one for not making more progress.  New editors, I guess?

I thought maybe Dr. Now was nice to her because she had a good attitude and didn't make excuses or whine about the diet. Even when she only lost a few pounds before she moved to Houston, she took full responsibility for it and didn't pin the blame on everyone else. 

• Like 4

I think that since Krystal didn't make ridiculous excuses for not losing more weight, that Dr. Now gave her more time. 

The ones who claim they gained 60 lbs in a short time, and it's all water weight are the ones that infuriate him.  Or the ones that gain a huge amount in a month or two that make him challenge their bizarre excuses.   

• Like 2
(edited)

How about the ones that claim they don’t know what happened and that the “scale must be broken” because they’ve been following the diet! 
I thought it was unusual that we didn’t see the typical fast food stops on their trip to Houston but in the Bonus Scene we did see Krystal and her family chowing down on high calorie food in their hotel room.  

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, JunkFoodTV said:

I seriously wanted to buy her a walker! Why doesn't she have one already. 🤔 

Yes, I never saw anyone use a cane that way, but it looked easy to hold on to when she was in the wheelchair. She just hooked it under her chin! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Chicklet said:

Yep live chat was still closed when I looked just now. I'm sad.

Looks like this is the live chat now!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, LizzyB said:

Me, too!  I have been looking forward to it all year, since I missed most of last season! 😂

Hola @LizzyB! I wondered where you were! Hope all is well with you! 

I sent a message to our lovely mod, hope all is well with her too!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
Just now, Pepper Mostly said:

Hola @LizzyB! I wondered where you were! Hope all is well with you! 

I sent a message to our lovely mod, hope all is well with her too!

Aw, thanks!  Tough year.  My Mom passed away, but I am doing better now and ready to get back to life...aka My 600Lb Life

• Hugs 9