Type keyword(s) to search

“General Hospital: 60 Years Of Stars And Storytelling”

• Start Topic

ABC special celebrating the show’s 60th anniversary. Premieres tonight Jan 4 at 10pm ET. I assume it will stream on Hulu, probably tomorrow

Why was the background music so loud, I could barely hear John Stamos.

3 minutes ago, Shorty186 said:

Is anyone else having audio issues? The background music is so much louder than the people speaking.

Same here, quite annoying.

• Like 2

Isn't the ending how most horror stories start?  "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water."

Bloopers were good, wedding dresses were good.  Lots of useless filler, the fans at Kelly's, It Happened Last Week with Curtis, Steven "Monotone" A. Smith. 

• Like 6

10 seconds of the iconic Genie Francis wasn’t enough. I was hoping she would at least have quipped “I haven’t fit in my L&L wedding dress since 1982”.

Jane Elliott was fabulous, as always.

Kin Shriner wastes a lot of people’s time.

I have no words for that ending.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Onto other things, I alway love watching clips.

I like the bit with the wedding dresses but at first I didn't realize Liz was wearing her wedding dress to Lucky.

I thought there is no way that Liz and Finn should be getting married. 

Instead of so much dizzying walk-and-talk from the actors, I would have appreciated revisiting some of the iconic scenes from the past 60 years.  Apart from the Luke and Laura wedding, we didn’t get that.  Why have a prime time special where you don’t try to show viewers why they should watch you?

Was glad for the fleeting glimpses of Alan and even Tiffany.  Not at all grateful for the lionization of Jason.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I was rather disappointed. I was hoping for more scenes from way back like the original characters, Leslie and Rick etc. It seems like it was more centered on 1980 on. Probably not enough time. Too much Brick. No mention of AIDS storyline etc.

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
12 minutes ago, JMO said:

Instead of so much dizzying walk-and-talk from the actors, I would have appreciated revisiting some of the iconic scenes from the past 60 years.  Apart from the Luke and Laura wedding, we didn’t get that.  Why have a prime time special where you don’t try to show viewers why they should watch you?

This.

I was disappointed. The show's been on for 60 years, but we didn't see that history reflected in the clips. There was no need for the Donna Mills-Morgan Fairchild skit and intro. Maybe a better brief introduction to the special should have been done by someone with a stronger association with the show like, I dunno, a longtime actor or even the producer? So much time was spent on "name" celebrities when (IMO) it would have been better to show more of the show's history. I'll forgive them a little bit for the celebration of the fans in Kelly's, but even that was just a setup for what's her name to come out, since no fan actually got to ask a question. If this program had writers produce a script, it just shows how creatively bankrupt they are. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

All righty then, just figured out what happened to my post.

Basically:

Good- wedding dresses, DZ getting called out for not preforming at Nurses Ball, I always wondered how he got out of that. Also Blackie (my first GH crush obviously) and Rick Springfield

Bad: most of it, but especially MB's mumbling and stumbling and announcing he plays Sonny Corinthos on the hit show General Hospital in case I didn't know what special I was watching.

Meanwhile GF needs no introduction

The reveal:🤮  I am glad I have already given up on this show so I don't have to watch this third (?) coming

• Like 1

Not surprised that Tony Geary barely got a mention.  So core was he to the early show that it was as though he’d never been on, with this retrospective.

• Like 5

As others have mentioned, the sound mix was terrible. I wonder if LW figured it out, because I could hear her just fine when there was music. Ha!

LOL that no fan in the Kelly's thing spoke. It must have been a legal and/or money issue.

Too bad we couldn't see a picture of Molly Shannon on GH. That would have been so cool. 

I wonder if Elizabeth Taylor wore her own jewels in her GH scenes. Hee.

Overall I think the show missed the mark, but I like that ABC respected things enough to show the full credits onscreen instead of doing that smushed thing that is the norm now.

ETA: I could only laugh ruefully when in one of the bloopers, Frank (or whoever) gave Kin the "proper English" of his line. This from the show that still hasn't figured out when to use "and me" and when to use "and I."

• Like 3

This was lame. How do you do a special about the history of General Hospital and not show clips from the Ice Princess story, Stone's death, BJ's death, Sonny and Brenda's epic first break up, the Jeff/Monica/Rick/Lesley story, or any clips of Audrey? How do you reference Alan and Lucy's wedding, but not show a clip from it? How do you leave all that out but make time for Donna Mills (don't care), Morgan Fairchild (don't care), and Stephen A. Smith (really don't care)?

• Like 4
  • Applause 10
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Steph J said:

This was lame. How do you do a special about the history of General Hospital and not show clips from the Ice Princess story, Stone's death, BJ's death, Sonny and Brenda's epic first break up, the Jeff/Monica/Rick/Lesley story, or any clips of Audrey? How do you reference Alan and Lucy's wedding, but not show a clip from it? How do you leave all that out but make time for Donna Mills (don't care), Morgan Fairchild (don't care), and Stephen A. Smith (really don't care)?

Yes, I couldn’t believe we didn’t get at least a cameo by Vanessa Marcil.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Steph J said:

My guess, such as it is? Lack of $$$$$$$$$$.

Don't forget, anytime old footage is used, those actors must be paid for that appearance.

And with the budget probably the amount of what it would take to put on a high school play these days, it's not doable.

Of course, that would mean a very lame special and...oh, right...

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

They screwed up the title! More like 40 Years of Stars and Storytelling, followed up by 20 years of blowing smoke up Maurice Bernard & Steve Burton's asses and picking the stupidest plots for the last 10 years." 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Lame doesn't even come CLOSE to what a fucking INSULT this was to the vets that have been around the longest.

And while I loved, LOVED Seeing Tiffany in the first scene with Blackie, and original Jackie (Demi Moore), Stamos didn't need to do TWO segments.

And Emma! Again, loved the flashback with Robert during their marriage of convenience that turned into them falling in love, but I have to disagree that Amber was the ONLY one who "grew up before our eyes." Yes, Amber (wonderful to see her), but she was only for four? five? years. It was Kimberly McCullough who grew up in front of our eyes to adulthood and motherhood, followed by Jonathan's Lucky. Frank's cheap ass could have had them both appear-as Kimberly has always been willing to return for short periods, or via video, whatever.  Because Emma was in Cotswold with her appearance. Jonathan could have done the same from Ireland, and Kimberly from wherever she is.

Stuart's tribute should have been done by Amber and Kimberly both-as Alan was wonderful with Robin's HIV storyline.

I was hoping for bloopers from the 70s -90s. 

Tristan! And Finola!

GENIE should have been the one to be talking about the show's history-not Laura Wright. But I know she's a pet, so of course SHE gets to do it.

Enjoyed seeing Rick Springfield.

When Maurice and Nancy talked about AIDS? and Sexual assault? That would have been a perfect segue to Stone's AIDS and Robin's HIV storyline and Liz's rape. Instead of that moron Smith and his Emmy win. Morgan and Donna's script could have been cut out, as what's her face from Grey's.

I won't lie-I loved the Q's flashbacks with ORIGINAL and only Edward Quartermaine David Lewis! And even the pictures were with David and Anna. No offense to John Ingle.  And the wonderful scene with Tracy refusing to give him his medicine unless he promised to not sign that will! Could have done without both Rena and Lisa. Just Wallace and Jane should have been there. And those flashbacks with Ned and Lois were just a redux of when Rena returned in October.

And Luke and Laura's wedding scene gave me the chills. It always does. 

Didn't need to see Max Gail's Mike's storyline, as far as I'm concerned. And the tone deafness of having Maurice spout lines about "forgiveness" just made me roll my eyes.

Sorry, Genie, but the best is NOT yet to come-that happened in the 70s-90s when the show was at its peak. Until the brass is willing to give the show money again to improve production values and hires writers who can actually write respecting history, nuance, and stakes/consequences (which will never happen), it will remain a dumpster fire of a show.

13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

My guess, such as it is? Lack of $$$$$$$$$$.

Don't forget, anytime old footage is used, those actors must be paid for that appearance.

So, will Frank pony up the money to pay Demi Moore and the others who are still alive but no longer on the show?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 2
  • Applause 7
(edited)
10 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

the 35th anniversary tribute was so much better

Thank you so much for sharing this.  So many amazing, iconic scenes.  But also so many ordinary, impactful scenes.  Thinking of the one between Alan and Monica, remarkable for how well they express the tension of stress within a longstanding marriage of two people, where neither of them is a mob boss.  

Edited by JMO
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

I think they could have included a quick memorial montage of Tyler, Sonya, and Billy, rather than saying Jackie Z and the others.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

35th anniversary tribute was so much better

Thanks for this! It simply does not matter how many times I see the BJ heart storyline, I just ugly cry like crazy. And of course the Stone AIDS story too, This show used to be so good. Sigh.

This 60th anniversary thing was a pretty sorry celebration.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
10 hours ago, hypnotoad said:

Thanks for this! It simply does not matter how many times I see the BJ heart storyline, I just ugly cry like crazy. And of course the Stone AIDS story too, This show used to be so good. Sigh.

I realize that soaps don't have the budget they did in the 1980s and 1990s, but what happened to the writers?  Some storylines don't need a huge budget, just writers who know how to write.

• Like 2
  • Applause 7

And the Dancing With the Stars homage was regrettable.

So was having Morgan Fairchild and Donna Mills introducing, in order to give GH primetime credibility.

And let's gather a room full of fans at Kelly's and have a Q&A that goes nowhere.

What I did find interesting was how close the sets were to each other, and how rarely used sets (like the Metro Court lobby and the *chapel) were near the Q living room and Kelly's.  (Unless they put the sets together like this just for the special?)

*well, it was used lately for Nina's "confession" and the Sonny's attacking Cyrus.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, ciarra said:

What I did find interesting was how close the sets were to each other, and how rarely used sets (like the Metro Court lobby and the *chapel) were near the Q living room and Kelly's.  (Unless they put the sets together like this just for the special?)

I liked that BTS peek, too. I wish we'd gotten a bit more of that.

I would bet that's how the studio is set up for filming, though maybe things were moved around just a bit to accommodate some of the blocking. (Note: I have no idea if the sets can be moved around with any ease.)

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I realize that soaps don't have the budget they did in the 1980s and 1990s, but what happened to the writers?  Some storylines don't need a huge budget, just writers who know how to write.

I don't think it's just a budget issue or even necessarily an issue of today's writers not knowing how to write, as there are people writing soaps today who were writing in the 1990s and were very good at it (Michele Val Jean comes to mind, as one example). I think network interference and skittishness about doing anything daring or potentially controversial has essentially kneecapped daytime writing teams. That's why we see so many pregnancy storylines - because it's "safe" and guaranteed to get network approval.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 3
6 hours ago, ciarra said:

*well, it was used lately for Nina's "confession" and the Sonny's attacking Cyrus.

I was on set a million years ago, and from what I remember, it probably had to do with what they would be using upcoming.  For instance, I remember the day I was there they were filming court room scenes and an outdoor Kelly's scene, but right across from Kelly's was Jax's penthouse and next to Kelly's was an office set.  And yes, they are close together.

• Useful 1

From what I remember, the show has 2-3 “permanent sets” that are always up and the rest are put up and taken down each week depending on what they need. I know the hospital is one of the permanent sets but I can’t recall what the others are off the top of my head. The rotating sets are also why they film out of order since they’ll film multiple episodes on that set while they have it up. 

• Useful 3
(edited)

I stopped watching GH in the early 2000s when Sonny and Jason took over the show. (I do try to keep up with it here in the forums though.) I watched this special and agreed with most of the comments. 

At one point, Sonny is "speaking" as he gets into the elevator and I could not understand the mumbling. I was doing something and looked up and chuckled to see that the close captioning folks couldn't understand him either. Some things never change.

20240111_211848 (1).jpg

Edited by AheadofStraight
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8

We finally got around to watching the special this evening.  Overall I thought it was pretty well done, with a few groan-y moments mentioned above.  A quick blurb of SAS saying he watched as a kid with his family would’ve been fine, but to give him more airtime than say GF…no.

I liked the quick tour of the sets, and didn’t realize the studio was as spacious as it is; I guess the wide ‘hallways’ are needed for cameras and crew when filming.  And we even got a Denise DiMuccio sighting (a 🙄 storyline but proof that MW never phones it in).

I’d not thought of this until seeing the clips of Stuart Damon, but WK’s delivery as Ned and even his voice are quite similar.

This was absolutely poo; when I think of the 35th anniversary special I want to weep.

On 1/6/2024 at 9:27 PM, Cheyanne11 said:

LW should go back to that 2013 shorter hairstyle--very flattering.

And JE looked sensational.

That's all I have to say about that.

People say LW's hair is phenomenal but no not really; when it's straightened it looks like a weird bird house around her head; Jane Elliott's meanwhile is like a smooth silver waterfall.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

A quick blurb of SAS saying he watched as a kid with his family would’ve been fine

Still trying to figure out who SAS is.  Someone put me out of my misery.

Not John Stamos

Not Rick Springfield

???

On 1/15/2024 at 2:16 PM, ciarra said:

SAS.  I think the initials are in the wrong order.

I need to have you know -- I cackled. I outright, out loud, scared the cats cackled at this. 

Well played, Ciarra, well played. 

This was absolutely poo; when I think of the 35th anniversary special I want to weep.

Man, I loved that 35th anniversary special. The photoshoot section with the boxes. Back when production values mattered.  That time -- what, 1996? - felt both like the the pinnacle of quality television and like the end of an era. It's hard to explain why -- I enjoyed that time immensely and was unhealthily addicted to watching GH. The Cassadine saga with Stefan and Nikolas. The Sonny/Brenda/Jax triangle. Lucy with her Doc. Jonathan Jackson and Amber Tamblyn. The introduction of Sarah J. Brown's Carly. But so many of the veteran performers were already being cast aside and some history was being forgotten. 

And then came Miranda. And, more importantly Guza left as head writer and Culliton wrote the show into the ground in a matter of weeks. JMHO. YMMV. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Ah Culliton. I don't condone real life acts of violence but Geary was probably right to punch that guy.

I still havent watched the special. Between the Jason of it all and the bad reviews here I think probably best to just skip it.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1