Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

I don't like him either, but the thought of him doing his AT impression while hosting the show would be funny. For a few days anyway.

The radio this morning was playing clips from one of Ken's appearances. The category was, figure out the persons the clues refer to, take their initials and convert from Roman numerals to a "regular" number, then that number is the answer. The radio host read the clue, then the people at the station tried to come up with the answer, then the initials, then figure out what the translation was from Roman to regular. The radio guys figured they needed an extra five minutes to come up with a "maybe" answer. Then Ken's response was played, which was instantaneous. It was a pretty funny segment.

Ryan Seacrest said on his radio show that he would never ever be on Jeopardy, even if he were asked, the answer would be no. He said he'd go on Celebrity Wheel but never Jeopardy. "That's for smart people."

James' brother gave James a song for either his birthday or Christmas, and posted it on his SM account (the brother's). They played the song on the radio. The singing wasn't the best, but the song was pretty funny.

ETA: Ryan did say that AT is a treasure. After watching tv news that's all horrible and upsetting, then AT comes on the tv, and he's all calming and makes the world okay again. I thought that was pretty accurate and sums up my feeling too.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

TMZ last night did another segment on the GOAT players and how they've spent their millions. James donates to charities in Vegas, Brad donates to libraries, Ken bought four houses, three in the Pacific NW, one in Utah.

As for AT retiring, Vanna taking over for Pat on Wheel is a glaring demonstration of how good Pat is. And I like Vanna. I don't even want to think about AT leaving.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I like Vanna, too, but she acts like she's never seen the show she works on, and doesn't know how the game is played.

Truer words have never been posted here. I was gobsmacked at how ... not good ... she was.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Truer words have never been posted here. I was gobsmacked at how ... not good ... she was.

Same!  I get that it's out of her comfort zone, but she was extraordinarily not good.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, man, kill me now. I got James. I'll trade him for Ken ...

I got Ken (yay!) but I won't trade for James.  Try taking the test again until you get the result you want.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, opus said:

James took BuzzFeed's Which Jeopardy GOAT Are You? quiz and got Ken

https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/09/james-holzhauer-ken-jennings-jeopardy-buzzfeed-quiz/

Ha.  That article prompted me to take the quiz, and I also got Ken, but my real answer to several of the questions was either "none of the above" or "several of the above" so I could probably take it again right now and come up as someone different (but hopefully not James).

I got Ken, too. I wonder if anyone gets Brad.

ETA: It's rigged. I answered completely different answers the second time and STILL got Ken. I even chose the earliest AT pic, thinking that would lead to Brad, since he's from the 5 games and done era. Still got Ken..

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Amidst all the GOAT publicity, Slate has published an interview with Stephanie Hull, who finished with the worst score of all time, -$6,800.  It's interesting and rather touching.

Very interesting!  Thanks for  the link!

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

From @MrAtoz's link. I hate that this happens, and still happens:

And then the internet made fun of my face. So that was great.

Yeah. The response was pretty mean.

It was super mean.

Yes.  You learn a lot of fun things when you become a Jeopardy! contestant.  Sadly, one of the things you learn that is not fun, is that most (possibly all) of the female contestants get some sort of unkind commentary about their looks, whether it's insults, or unwelcome attention, or sometimes both.  At one time I liked to think that people who watch Jeopardy! would be above that kind of thing, but that was just me being naive.

31 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I liked learning that she and Kristin created that FB page for female contestants.

Me too!  What a cool group:

Kristin—so I will say the hidden silver lining of this is what came out of this game and the internet nastiness. We created a community specifically for women who had been on Jeopardy!, a Facebook group, because it turns out the people who tend to get the most negativity on the internet are women. As people who live on the internet know.

And these women are some of the best friends I’ve ever had. It’s like an internet sorority of smart women who have opinions on a lot of different things and support each other and care about each other and help each other and we’re there for each other. And honestly, the friendship of Kristin Sausville is one of the things that I got out of my show that I really treasure. She’s a great friend and I’m really lucky I get to have her in my life. She’s a wonderful person.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What a great story; Kristyna from Tuesday's episode grew up watching the show, and it did far more than entertain her:

She said she began watching the show when she was a child and had just moved to Canada with her family. She did not speak a word of English, and watching Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune, which played back-to-back every weekday, helped her figure out some of the language's trickier quirks, like the difference between minute (a measure of time) and minute (very small).

She said Jeopardy! was especially helpful, because it helped her learn things about a wide variety of subjects, from music to sports.

"It helps you build a stronger vocabulary, but it also helped me build a lot of cultural contexts and general knowledge to be not only a fully participating Canadian citizen, but also a global citizen," she said.

And her little tidbit about Alex made me smile; I love how much he loves being handy:

Between takes, he chatted with the audience about everything from his cancer treatment to his leaf-blower.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

The Jeopardy! Facebook page just posted a one-year update from Alex.  It's worth watching.

Saw this on the news, what an amazing person Alex is: he is realistic yet determined & optimistic...praying for him to continue fighting 

• Love 5

Just read that due to covid-19, Jeopardy, among others, will be taped without a studio audience. Reasons include Trebek' s compromised immune system, audience is older, and are often tourists who have flown to California.

Snap! Driad!

Edited by zoey1996
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Does anyone have any info about how many more pre-taped shows there are? Is there still an approximately four-month gap between taping and airing, or is is shorter because fewer shows are being taped?

Edited by GreekGeek
12 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Does anyone have any info about how many more pre-taped shows there are? Is there still an approximately four-month gap between taping and airing, or is is shorter because fewer shows are being taped?

A few posts up @illdoc says they have enough eps to air thru May 29.

• Love 1

Sad item in the Washington Post today. A one-time contestant on Jeopardy died on March 29th from covid-19.   It said 49 year old Chad Capule, of Maryland, was an IT project mgr who was in Wisconsin to oversee installation of a computer system at the hospital where he eventually died. He was on the show in 2015. 

I heard on the radio this a.m. that it's been one year since Alex Trebek's cancer diagnosis. Only 18-percent of people with the disease achieve that, so he's become an inspiration for others.

Edited by saber5055
Fix some poor and confusing grammar.
  • Love 7
On 4/16/2020 at 11:03 PM, saber5055 said:

I heard on the radio this a.m. that it's been one year since Alex Trebek's cancer diagnosis. Only 18-percent of people with the disease achieve that, so he's become an inspiration for others.

Time travelling? The one-year was in early March.

I just ordered a hard copy of his new memoir on Amazon.  It won't be released until July 21.  I rarely buy hard-back books, but I wanted this one.