Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E05: Pastry Week

• Start Topic

It's Pastry Week and the bakers try to avoid soggy bottoms as they tackle savoury Signature picnic pies and a classic French rough puff pastry Technical, before creating stunning decorative sweet pie Showstoppers.

UK Original Air Date: October 24, 2023.

US Netflix Date: October 27, 2023.

Edited by Athena

Colour me surprised. I thought Christy was pretty unimpressive so far, and more likely to be eliminated than to get star baker. But she was really good this week.

I always like pastry week, because I like pastry, and there were some really nice looking pies this time. I liked the little picnic pies, or whatever they decided to call them. Some interesting flavour combos, but I definitely would not have liked the spiced tuna ones that Saku made. A tuna and egg pie? God, that sounds terrible.

Pretty good technical, and I've seen enough pithiviers on MasterChef to know how they should look. But it's essentially just a puff pastry test, which is fine. Seems like most of the bakers failed to get the shape right, and quite a few had undercooked potatoes. Couldn't be because they weren't given quite enough time, could it?

The showstopper was a bit weak in concept, but I'd rather that than them demanding a '3D, modern art installation using at least five pies, and two different pastries' or something.

Most of the sweet pies looked pretty good, especially Christy and Dan's. Rowan's didn't, but at least the cherry filling looked really tasty.

It was pretty obvious which two were leaving, fairly early on. Nicky had been on the edge almost every week, and just doesn't seem to be of the same standard as some of the others. And Rowan was having a bit of a 'mare.

• Like 6

Alison is just the best. She's so warm and down to earth, and still so funny. It's a real return of Mel and Sue energy to the tent, and I celebrate it. I laughed out loud when she admitted to Noel that she wasn't wearing a watch and was just looking at her wrist when he said the signature time was half gone. And then, "You had me at marzipan."

The judges seemed really harsh this week. Some of the bakes looked and seemed pretty bad, so I guess they had reason, but I've been liking the positivity.

Cristy is so worried about everything, all the time; it was nice to see her have a successful episode and get a handshake and Star Baker. Hopefully that will boost her confidence a bit.

Glad to see Tasha back even though she didn't really shine this week. And glad to see Dan getting back to fighting strength. Maybe all he needed was a sharp haircut.

Josh dedicating his showstopper to his late grandmother made me misty. And it was so gorgeous. I wasn't too enthused by his flavors/fillings, but apparently it was delicious too. Well done.

I hate that they're bringing back Botanical Week and they've already cut Abbi.

I've never heard "pithivier" pronounced out loud before. I guess it's possible I still haven't.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

The bakers seem to be having a harder time last couple weeks. Probably a mix of the heat, all the stress, and some exhaustion setting in. (And never having enough time, of course.) Poor Rowan, that was painful to watch. 

• Like 3

I've been to Great Britain, and I know the weather is changeable . . . but this week, Matty, Dan and others were wearing long-sleeved stuff that makes it weird after last week it was so hot that one contestant almost passed out.  And last week, Noel and a couple of bakers were wearing stuff that made you think it was chilly in the tent.  What was it?  Hot or cold????

I hate it when 1+1 does not equal 2.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
30 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I've been to Great Britain, and I know the weather is changeable . . . but this week, Matty, Dan and others were wearing long-sleeved stuff that makes it weird after last week it was so hot that one contestant almost passed out.  And last week, Noel and a couple of bakers were wearing stuff that made you think it was chilly in the tent.  What was it?  Hot or cold????

I hate it when 1+1 does not equal 2.

If you've ever lived in the UK you will indeed know that where the weather is concerned 1+1 does indeed equal 2 and also any other number you can come up with & it is certainly not built for hot weather.

Saying that I don't think it was the heat from the weather that made her almost pass out but a few small issues making one big issue. 

• Like 7

I’m not a fan of pastry and horrible at making it but many of those pies looked delicious! Do they not have blueberries in England? This, I think, is the second time someone (this week, Paul) referred to blueberries as very American.

I will miss Nicky and her accent and humor. Will miss Rowan too. Both seemed to struggle every week so it was just a matter of time.

I’m so glad Cristy got a handshake and star baker, I hope it will boost her confidence. I thought Dana did well too as well as Josh and Matty. 

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, blueray said:

This maybe a regional thing, but I've never heard of whisky being in Pecan Pie. Actually there's no alcohol at all... 

I’ve seen lots of recipes for pecan pie with some bourbon in it, but not whisky. Might have even made one or two…

• Like 10
On 10/24/2023 at 3:39 PM, Danny Franks said:

Colour me surprised. I thought Christy was pretty unimpressive so far, and more likely to be eliminated than to get star baker. But she was really good this week.

I'm right with you. I thought she'd be one to go pretty soon, but she really excelled here.

7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I've been to Great Britain, and I know the weather is changeable . . . but this week, Matty, Dan and others were wearing long-sleeved stuff that makes it weird after last week it was so hot that one contestant almost passed out. 

I was wondering about that, too. In fact, I thought when they were walking out, one of them was wearing a bathrobe over pjs. I thought some kind of sleepover theme was coming up. Glad I was wrong.

I wanted to try every one of those little picnic pies. They were so cute and just sounded delicious. 

It was no surprise that Rowan was sent home. I kept hoping Nikki wouldn't be the other one. Not sure who I'd want to go in her place, but I'm sorry she's gone.

I've never heard the expression "a bag of pants." I can't figure out what it even means.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I've never heard the expression "a bag of pants." I can't figure out what it even means.

If you say something is "pants" it means it's rubbish, whether it be a pie or a film or a job interview.  I've never heard anyone say "bag of pants", but I may have to adopt it.  It certainly described Nikki's weekend, since nothing went well.

Emoji trousers.jpgUpsidedown.jpg

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

I looked up pants as British slang. I had forgotten that in Britain it generally means underpants. Also...

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, pants appeared in an insulting assertion about a person's name: to say that someone's name was pants meant to say that you didn't like or trust that person, much like in the still-used expression "your name is mud."

Since the 1990s, British English speakers have also used pants informally to mean "nonsense," as in "It's ridiculous; the whole thing is pants" or "The whole thing is a pile of pants."

• Useful 6

Nicky: "An absolute bag of pants.".....*ROFL*   I'm definitely going to use that phrase the next time I create a total disaster.   I'm going to miss her.  

I do like how Paul seems to have relaxed a bit.  His joke about popping a shirt button and taking somebody's eye out was pretty damn funny in the moment.  

Pastry is my favorite week, all the beautiful flakey golden baked deliciousness.  I just can't figure how people would have uncooked potato.  If there's one ingredient that you KNOW is cooked, it's potato.  

• Like 9

Nicky and Rowan are delightful humans. I can’t imagine what it would feel like in the tent to lose them both at once, but it seemed as a viewer very obvious that’s what was going to happen.

Josh’s sunflower pie(s) was stunning. It was very sweet to hear him talk about his relationship with his grandmother, and I’m glad he did so well with this bake.

I still think Josh, Tasha, and Dan (I think that’s his name?!) seem to be a tier above the rest.

• Like 8

I got a kick out of the opening bit when Alison threw the pie away and then the camera pulled back and showed it on Prue's head.

Saku, Josh and Nicky had the best looking Showstoppers. Too bad Nicky's weren't cooked quite right. Still, this didn't seem like an insurmountable task. They just needed three attractive pies presented in a pleasing way. 

Sad to see Nicky go, she has such a fun personality (and accent), but she's been struggling more often than not. Rowan had a really disastrous week. 

On 10/26/2023 at 1:35 AM, Lois Sandborne said:

Alison is just the best. She's so warm and down to earth, and still so funny. It's a real return of Mel and Sue energy to the tent, and I celebrate it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say she's like Mel and Sue, personality-(or energy) wise. Mel and Sue were just so dry and low-key. And I miss the history lessons they used to give us about the various bakes. But she compliments Noel really well. My biggest laugh was them talking about texting each other. "Don't send me those pictures anymore, I don't like that." "That's not what you said last night." 🤣

I still think Josh, Tasha, and Dan (I think that’s his name?!) seem to be a tier above the rest.

I might add Cristy to that list after this week. And maybe Matty? Everyone's been so up and down, right now it still seems like anyone's game.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Saku, Josh and Nicky had the best looking Showstoppers. Too bad Nicky's weren't cooked quite right. Still, this didn't seem like an insurmountable task. They just needed three attractive pies presented in a pleasing way. 

That tasted good.  You can't get away from that.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Do they not have blueberries in England? This, I think, is the second time someone (this week, Paul) referred to blueberries as very American.

I understood Paul's comment to mean that the style of the blueberry pie filling seemed to be very American (Prue referred to it as intense), and it certainly looked like a typical blueberry pie here. So I take it that a filling that's made just from blueberries, sugar and thickener to fill a whole pie is not common in British pies. Certainly, the comment came about as they tasted the pie, not as they discussed ingredients beforehand.

4 hours ago, Rickster said:

I’ve seen lots of recipes for pecan pie with some bourbon in it, but not whisky. Might have even made one or two…

Of course, bourbon is a type of whiskey (generic spelling rather than whisky as in Scotch), as is rye. I've always assumed the reason it's bourbon in particular called for in American recipes that add it is bourbon is produced, and pecans are grown, in close proximity in the American south.

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was a bit stunned that a couple of them didn't know how to incorporate the butter for a Pithiviers. Even if pastry isn't their specialty, anybody entering  a baking competition ought to be aware that puff pastry, rough or otherwise, involves lamination. 

The best of those Technicals, however, looked extremely good and authentic  (this construction was a favorite of Julia Child, and she featured it on several of her series). And clearly enough time was allotted, because if one person could do it in time, they all could have.

I love British terminology (I mean it, I'm a hopeless Anglophile). A "picnic pie" would appear to be a standard everyday concept. Some of these looked tasty, though I'm always a bit intrigued/repelled by "hot water crust pastry" -- it seems to violate the rules of pastry making as otherwise established, and seems as if it ought to taste awful, yet clearly it doesn't.

In past seasons I've heard a baker say on occasion that something that turned out poorly was "pants." Even knowing that pants traditionally meant underwear, I found it a bit tricky to parse at first; so "a bag of pants" was actually far more intelligible to me: a load of rubbish. But I'm sorry Nikki had to go, even though it seemed inevitable; she was fun to have on hand.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Like 7
16 hours ago, blueray said:

This maybe a regional thing, but I've never heard of whisky being in Pecan Pie. Actually there's no alcohol at all... 

I’m thinking she meant bourbon not whiskey. There could be bourbon in a pecan pie. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I’m not a fan of pastry and horrible at making it but many of those pies looked delicious! Do they not have blueberries in England? This, I think, is the second time someone (this week, Paul) referred to blueberries as very American.

I will miss Nicky and her accent and humor. Will miss Rowan too. Both seemed to struggle every week so it was just a matter of time.

I’m so glad Cristy got a handshake and star baker, I hope it will boost her confidence. I thought Dana did well too as well as Josh and Matty. 

I thought the same thing about blueberries. I think they implied that the blueberries were “bland.” I have never thought of them as bland so the cultural differences is amazing to see. A nice blueberry and lemon pound cake with a cuppa of joe in the am is highly recommended. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Yes, to be clear, I thought this challenge was perfectly manageable. Bake three good pies, present them in an interesting way, like Josh did. Perfectly doable. 

3 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

I was a bit stunned that a couple of them didn't know how to incorporate the butter for a Pithiviers. Even if pastry isn't their specialty, anybody entering  a baking competition ought to be aware that puff pastry, rough or otherwise, involves lamination. 

Yeah, it looked like maybe Dan was the only one who did it right? I agree even if pastry isn't your thing, if you've even watched this show with any regularity, you should know the correct method of making puff pastry. 

• Like 6
12 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Whenever a baker has some kind of disaster with removing a bake from a pan or seeing it fall apart or just look a mess, I always want to reassure them that if it tastes really good, they are probably safe. I mean, of course presentation is important, but taste (and texture) is outweighs that. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, caitmcg said:

I understood Paul's comment to mean that the style of the blueberry pie filling seemed to be very American (Prue referred to it as intense), and it certainly looked like a typical blueberry pie here. So I take it that a filling that's made just from blueberries, sugar and thickener to fill a whole pie is not common in British pies. Certainly, the comment came about as they tasted the pie, not as they discussed ingredients beforehand.

In the UK, bilberries are more commonly grown at home or picked in their natural habitat (!) than blueberries, which aren't native to the UK.  They tend to be a little smaller and are more intensely flavoured, and they're more fragile, so aren't produced commercially.  To pick enough for a pie takes a lot more effort than getting a punnet from the supermarket, or picking a few gallons from the UPick.  So, blueberry pies are probably not that common in the UK, unlike in the States.

ETA:  The author of the article makes this comment

• In Europe, bilberry jam and pastries are extremely common, while blueberries are popular in smoothies and baked goods in the United States and beyond.

(Feel free to debunk any of the above, though I did find the following, which confirms most of my points.)

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/bilberries-vs-blueberries-whats-the-difference/

• Useful 3

Didn't Dan have to start over in the technical because he grated his knuckles and got blood in the mixture?  And then he won.  If he can start over, and still have enough time to successfully make everything in the technical, then the producers are allotting enough time.

Interesting how Paul's attitude towards fruit pies has changed.  In a long ago season, he declared them disgusting.

Sorry to lose Nicky, but she had a horrible week.  Rowan always seemed on the edge of a nervous breakdown.

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Interesting how Paul's attitude towards fruit pies has changed.  In a long ago season, he declared them disgusting.

I remember him saying that about American pies in general.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Dan is getting quite arrogant over the last few episodes. His “Aw shucks! Lil old me?” routine is grating. 

He's really the only one I don't care much for.  And I agree, the mock humility has gotten old.  He knows he's good.  He also thinks he's always good.  And I don't care for that hubris.  I liked him getting eclipsed by the others.....

• Like 1

Dan is the one who had to restart his dough in the technical. I give him credit for putting out a product with plenty of lamination that got first. 

I think Tasha had a migraine last week. Now whether it was caused by the heat or she suffers from them was unclear. Glad to see her back although I thought she still looked a little teary eyed  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

He still gave us an exaggerated reaction, jumping back and making a face, claiming the blueberry one was too sour. And he has been sarcastic about American dessert tastes over the years.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Rinaldo said:
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I remember him saying that about American pies in general.

I don't recall the negative remark about fruit pies overall, but in Series 3 (i.e. the first season shown in the US) they had "American pies" as one of the challenges, and Paul characterized American pies as disgustingly sweet. (That was an odd challenge, in that it stipulated a single-crust pie no matter the filling, which is, of course, not an American thing.)

• Like 9

My niece makes a bourbon pecan pie with chocolate chips every Thankgiving. I make it for Christmas but without the alcohol. Best pie ever.

I was actually really happy for Cristy getting her handshake. She's been struggling and it actually meant something to her and helped with her confidence. 

I love pastry week cause pie is my favorite thing. I could truly chow down on most of those technical pies. I don't care about flat pies, but undercooked potatoes would have me pausing. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

He's really the only one I don't care much for.  And I agree, the mock humility has gotten old.  He knows he's good.  He also thinks he's always good.  And I don't care for that hubris.  I liked him getting eclipsed by the others.....

Agree. I liked Dan a lot in the beginning, but not so much anymore.  Has he gotten a handshake? I don't remember, but I hope not. Loved Christy getting one though! I like her.

I liked both Nicky and Rowan, but Rowan definitely seemed out of his depth, and maybe not..maybe he just struggles with the time element. Loved Nicky and will miss her and her Scottish accent. 

Josh seems pretty consistently good, but we rarely see him until the presentations. Is he just so serious that he doesn't make good TV during the work time?

And I can't leave this without declaring my love for Saku. So adorable!

Edited to add: I really like all the bakers, exception being Dan and his arrogance. I was really hoping Dana would edge him out in the technical, as I really like her as well, but his pithivier was definitely poofier than hers. Matty (Mattie?) has been such a nice surprise, Tasha is also pretty consistently good. I am just really enjoying this season!

Edited by mellyf
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, festivus said:

My niece makes a bourbon pecan pie with chocolate chips every Thanksgiving. I make it for Christmas but without the alcohol. Best pie ever

My pecan pie always has Kahlua in it.  SO good.  And a shot of vodka in my homemade piecrust makes it really flakey.   We booze it up a lot at the holidays.  *LOL*

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

My pecan pie always has Kahlua in it.  SO good.  And a shot of vodka in my homemade piecrust makes it really flakey.   We booze it up a lot at the holidays.  *LOL*

So when are you planning to make your next pecan pie?  Asking for a friend. 

• LOL 12
25 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

So when are you planning to make your next pecan pie?  Asking for a friend. 

Thanksgiving then Christmas.  Fancy a trip to Florida?  We're always open.  *LOL*  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 1
59 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

Thanksgiving then Christmas.  Fancy a trip to Florida?  We're always open.  *LOL*  

As one of the world's biggest Harry Potter fans, I've been to Florida (Universal Studios) 7 times.  Our last trip (November 2022) will probably be our last trip.

But there's always FedEx!!!!!

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
19 hours ago, caitmcg said:

I don't recall the negative remark about fruit pies overall, but in Series 3 (i.e. the first season shown in the US) they had "American pies" as one of the challenges, and Paul characterized American pies as disgustingly sweet. 

Well he's not wrong, I cannot eat an American apple pie (way too sweet) because I'm used to my apple pies being made with Bramley apples.

• Like 1

I haven't seen any arrogance in Dan either. I still like him. Of course now I'm going to look for any possible arrogance. However, to me he always looks somewhat self-conscious, so maybe that comes across as aloofness or something to people. *shrug*

• Like 9
  • Love 1
On 10/28/2023 at 12:29 PM, pasdetrois said:

He still gave us an exaggerated reaction, jumping back and making a face, claiming the blueberry one was too sour. And he has been sarcastic about American dessert tastes over the years.

7 hours ago, Shrek said:

Well he's not wrong, I cannot eat an American apple pie (way too sweet) because I'm used to my apple pies being made with Bramley apples.

I'm the same @Shrek - and they generally way too much cinnamon for me.

And I find it hard to imagine an American blueberry pie being sour enough for Paul to make a face like that.  He may pretend not to like/know American desserts, but I don't think that reaction had anything to do with associating blueberry pies with America.

On 10/27/2023 at 8:13 PM, Salacious Kitty said:
On 10/27/2023 at 5:37 PM, Rickster said:

Well, she did call it American. 

I think something got lost in translation. (There on the bourbon—and chocolate!—but whiskey?)

I love pie., if it’s homemade or made by someone who knows what they’re doing. Supermarket pies are a hard pass, always too much sugar and often hydrogenated oils. The flavors of some of these pies sounded so good.

• Like 1

Pastry week is always my favorite (probably not surprising given my screen name!). Where have Picnic Pies been all my life?!??? I love watching them make laminated dough - I find it so soothing to see it rolled out, butter added and the "turns" - love seeing those little pillowy squares go back in the fridge! I think I've found my perfect ASMR ;-p

I am sorry to see Nicky go, but it was time. Rowan's showstopper was hard to watch. I hate when that happens for these poor bakers that have worked so hard. Happy my two favorites (Tasha & Matty) are still doing well.

I just have to say this season is such a delight and return to form for this show. They finally have the perfect combo for hosts, and the challenges are classics. The cast is all so likeable. I am glad it's back to it's pre-Netflix standard!

• Like 5
On 10/26/2023 at 5:05 PM, Lois Sandborne said:

I've never heard "pithivier" pronounced out loud before. I guess it's possible I still haven't.

Pithivier is a word that's very difficult to say properly without sounding like Donald Duck.

• LOL 5
On 10/30/2023 at 4:17 PM, Ilovepie said:

Rowan's showstopper was hard to watch. I hate when that happens for these poor bakers that have worked so hard. 

I agree! It doesn't matter who it is when something like this happens. I always gasp in horror because I hate to see it happen to any of them. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The thing I question about the pie baking is whether it makes a difference if you put all three in the oven at the same time. It seems like that would affect the bake in a different way than if they were baked one at a time. Not that I would know, but it might account for some of Rowan's disaster.

• Like 1
On 10/29/2023 at 11:32 AM, Shrek said:

Just like all English people and foods are not the same — all American desserts and apple pies are not the same.  Mine are made with tart Granny Smith apples and are just the right combination of sweet and tart my friends and family say.  Paul is often guilty of demeaning and generalizing foods from other countries and that is one of the many reasons I dislike him besides his enormous ego.

I thought Rowan should have gone before Abbi did, so I wasn’t a bit surprised to see him eliminated this episode.  He seemed like a great young guy, but in over his head.  

Edited by lark37
Posted before adding last paragraph oops
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1