Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

On 4/21/2024 at 7:53 AM, ams1001 said:

Everyone who participates deserves cake.

Thank you. I’m just being dramatic. Of course I would never pass up cake. I may not be be Jeopardy-smart (this week, anyway) but I’m not crazy!😉

• LOL 9

Week 33 – April 22 – Two Asterisks
161.     *20th CENTURY AUTHORS - Best known for a novel, she wrote at least   6 full-length plays & collaborated with Moms Mabley on a 1931 Broadway revue (Zora Neale Hurston)
162.     BUSINESS - In the 1850s the .925 sterling silver standard was instituted by this company, the first American one to do so (Tiffany)
163.     HISTORIC TRANSPORTS - Decorated with an illustration of the Montgolfiers' craft, the smoking room aboard this could be accessed only via an airlock (The Hindenburg)
164.     *STATUES -The 42-foot-high statue of Athena in this state capital is the tallest indoor statue in the United States (Nashville)
165.     U.S. GEOGRAPHY - At 14,410', it's one of North America's highest volcanoes; a Puyallup name for it can be translated to "bring the water" (Mt. Rainer)

1/5 for me this week. Tiffany - totally thought it was wrong, but viola!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

A multiple, finally, 2/5! Wed & Fri. Was pretty confident of The Hindenburg, but not positive. Rainier was a guess based on knowing Puyallup is in WA. I'll take it!

For anyone who missed it, there was a very interesting episode of NOVA back in '21 called, 'Hindenburg: The New Evidence', which is highly recommended. Really fascinating how it lays out exactly how it all played out, and how with even one link in the chain missing, the disaster wouldn't have happened. There's also newly discovered footage, taken from a different angle than the film we're so used to seeing. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
(edited)
  • Week 32: 1/5

Tuesday: Tiffany (which I was sure of thanks to Antiques Roadshows)

My close-but-no-cigars:

On 4/27/2024 at 10:19 AM, Clanstarling said:

161.     *20th CENTURY AUTHORS - Best known for a novel, she wrote at least   6 full-length plays & collaborated with Moms Mabley on a 1931 Broadway revue (Zora Neale Hurston)…

Zora Mae Houston (???)

163.     HISTORIC TRANSPORTS - Decorated with an illustration of the Montgolfiers' craft, the smoking room aboard this could be accessed only via an airlock (The Hindenburg)

Blimp

…165.     U.S. GEOGRAPHY - At 14,410', it's one of North America's highest volcanoes; a Puyallup name for it can be translated to "bring the water" (Mt. Rainer)

Mt. Shasta — a 14,180′ volcano where I lived for 15 years and felt like I had to go with it just in case it was right, but, yeah, I used to know Puyallup in in WA.
But Mt. Shasta is known for its excellent water.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
On 4/27/2024 at 5:34 AM, Mindthinkr said:

2/5 this week. I think it’ll be a popular table. 
I don’t know what to bring to the table. 

Just yourself is fine 🙂

23 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

April 22

Week 33: 0/5, no *

YTD: 68/165, nine *

I have no excuse for this week. I truly knew none of them.

Seems to me like truly not knowing them is the best of excuses.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)

TOURNAMENT STREAKS "CONTEST"

Here are the scores for the longest streaks of Zeroes, and the longest streaks of correct FJ scores during the tournament weeks (Week 23 through 31) as requested.

Tied for Longest Streak of 0s (Week 23 – 31)

•    @shapeshifter –Zeroes Streak = 5  (Total Zeroes = 6)
•    @SoMuchTV – Zeroes Streak = 5  (Total Zeroes = 5)

Runner-Up
•    @30 Helens – Zeroes Streak = 4 (Total Zeroes = 4)

images.jpg.f20a60e069992e999f785113151b6109.jpg Golden Donuts for you all

Longest Scoring Streak (Week 23 – 31)

4 Contestants had FJ scores for each week. They are ranked by the sum of their FJs.

•   @theartandsound – 25 points
•    @Driad – 23 points
•    @Grundoon59 – 16 points
•    @Bliss – 14 points
•    @Good Queen Jane – 13 points

images.jpg.425856f65ebfb78651c7ebc758e184cf.jpg Golden Cocktails for you!

And one for me for finally finishing this up! 😆

Reminder - The Master's Tournament is Prime Time, and is not part of the Jeopardy Season 40 Contest. If someone else wants to take it on - have at it!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Tied for Longest Streak of 0s (Week 23 – 31)

•    @shapeshifter –Zeroes Streak = 5  (Total Zeroes = 6)
•    @SoMuchTV – Zeroes Streak = 5  (Total Zeroes = 5)

That threw me for a minute, until I realized you were counting streaks of zero-weeks, not zero-days (because now that I think about it, you wouldn't have a record of our daily results). So I will throw down with @shapeshifter - my 5 zero-weeks were in between a week of 1-0-0-0-0 and a week of 0-0-0-0-1.  So 34 zeros in a row?  (Why am I arguing about last place?)

But in my defense, on The Jeopardy! Fan website, there's a frequent commenter who has passed 40 misses in a row.  My hat's off to him!

33 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Reminder - The Master's Tournament is Prime Time, and is not part of the Jeopardy Season 40 Contest. If someone else wants to take it on - have at it!

I still have my spreadsheet from last years Masters.  I had 2/19.  Hoping to beat that!  Even if it's not a formal competition, I hope it's okay to comment here!

In my further defense, I take pride in knowing the answers that took down Amy (Bangladesh) and Ken (it was either HRBlock or FedEx, whichever was the one he didn't pick).  I wonder what important stuff that has pushed out of my memory.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I still have my spreadsheet from last years Masters.  I had 2/19.  Hoping to beat that!  Even if it's not a formal competition, I hope it's okay to comment here!

Masters has it's own thread which was resurrected from last year.

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Runner-Up
•    @30 Helens – Zeroes Streak = 4 (Total Zeroes = 4)

And since I hate to ruin a good streak...

0/5 again!!! Blame it on a combination of cognitive paralysis and advanced ignorance.

(Really, I just want more donuts.) 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 4/30/2024 at 6:06 AM, 30 Helens said:

And since I hate to ruin a good streak...

0/5 again!!! Blame it on a combination of cognitive paralysis and advanced ignorance.

I will be using "cognitive paralysis" in the future - it describes exactly what happens to me. Thanks!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I will be using "cognitive paralysis" in the future - it describes exactly what happens to me. Thanks!

That goes along nicely with mental flatulence.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 4/29/2024 at 6:00 PM, SoMuchTV said:

On 4/29/2024 at 7:33 PM, ams1001 said:

Masters has it's own thread which was resurrected from last year.

Oh right I did know that. Somehow I was thinking this was still the place to discuss our success (or lack thereof) on FJs, but you’re right, it’s a better fit to talk about it there. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 4/30/2024 at 9:06 AM, 30 Helens said:

image.thumb.png.4ad176c14a6251ba2ebc9f28180910cd.png

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh right I did know that. Somehow I was thinking this was still the place to discuss our success (or lack thereof) on FJs, but you’re right, it’s a better fit to talk about it there. 

Since it's not part of the contest it would probably confuse things.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1

Getting in my week 33 score before week 34 is completed tomorrow...

Week 33: 2/5, one *. (Hindenburg and Zora Neale Hurston. Came close on Nashville, but shouted 'Memphis' instead. Whoops.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stooges, Musketeers, my correct FJ answers this week.

What are things that come in threes.

3/5

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, opus said:

What are things that come in threes.

"They" say death. Death comes in threes. Also, little pigs. Tenors on PBS.

Also...My correct answers this week. * for NASA

• Like 8

Week 34: in honor of the Four Tops, 4/5 + 1 *.  
Bringing something with blueberries, because they were the favorite treat of my bearded dragon (a non-cat & dog pet).

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 7:41 PM, ams1001 said:

I'll bring three-layer chocolate mousse cakes.

On 5/3/2024 at 7:41 PM, ams1001 said:

image.thumb.png.1edb2857f8c053b70dd7a9fa1ca2efc5.png

Perfect!!!

Week 33 34: 3/5 with 1* 
Mon. Big Kahuna; Tues. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; Wed. NASA*

Woo-hoo! The TOC is so over.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Applause 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Perfect!!!

So I went back and looked at the actual recipe (I just googled three layer chocolate dessert) and the base is actually a brownie. 🤤

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3/5 & *

Anybody craving brownies?

2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

So I went back and looked at the actual recipe (I just googled three layer chocolate dessert) and the base is actually a brownie. 🤤

Just posted and then saw this... great minds?

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1