Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

2/5 0*

Got Monday & Tuesday right - I made a good start, it could have been my 5/5 week but it wasn't.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Week 30 – April 1 – JIT – No Asterisks
146.     NOVEL TITLE OBJECTS - A girl in a 1950 novel walks into this & "got in among the coats and rubbed her face against them" (a wardrobe)
147.     HISTORIC GROUPS - The Kipchak Khanate is another name for this group that was eventually defeated by Tamerlane in 1395 (The Golden Horde)
148.     PHYSICISTS - This man with a force named after him published an 1835 scientific treatise on the physics of billiard balls (Coriolis)
149.     STATE CAPITALS - It was named for a nearby river that explorer Gabriel Moraga named for one of a religious grouping of 7 (Sacramento)
150.     U.S. GOVERNMENT - The formation of the Brownell Committee out of concern over U.S. communications intelligence led to the 1952 creation of this body (NSA)

Zippideedooda this week. Misread US Government and went with FCC D'oh!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Thank you, NSA, for securing an end to my streak of misinformation!

Week 32:  1/5; overall:  55/150, 4/31*

Contestants:  7/15

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Week 30: 2/5 (Monday and Friday, wardrobe and NSA)
YTD: 74/150 (49%) with 6*

I'll bring some jiggly jello in honor of the Great New Jersey Earthquake of 2024 that I experienced this morning.

jello GIF

My daughter and I texted at the same time - after I saw the news and after she felt the quake. Used to live in CA, so it seems like a bitty one to us, but still, on the east coast seemed weird.

49 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Week 30: 1/5, no *

YTD: 64/150, seven *

Skinny fries - they sort of look like ones, right? image.png.b034e9a774b6e4c1a4a1c071edcc3c17.png

Skinny, fat. They'll do, my friend. They'll do.

• Like 4

2/5, both gut responses.

I'm bringing a big bunch of seedless green grapes. I swear, they look like they've been botoxed. They're gigantic!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
9 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I'm bringing a big bunch of seedless green grapes. I swear, they look like they've been botoxed. They're gigantic!

I've had some like that! They are huge!

• Like 2
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

My daughter and I texted at the same time - after I saw the news and after she felt the quake. Used to live in CA, so it seems like a bitty one to us, but still, on the east coast seemed weird.

I've only experienced a few. I felt the one that happened in Virginia in 2011(?). I was sitting on my couch and it was just a tiny little jolt and my first thought was a truck on the highway outside my apartment but then I realized there were no trucks passing by. A few years ago there was a small one (2.something) that was only a couple miles from me; it woke me up but it just felt like someone shook my bed for a second or something. This one actually had my furniture shaking for several seconds. Apparently there were several aftershocks; one was 4.0, which my brother felt but my parents and I did not. My cousin's dog evidently felt one, also, because they said she reacted to something that no one else in the house noticed. And I remember there was one when I was a teenager but I slept through it.

I saw some local news coverage and there were some houses (three in a row very close together) in the town where it happened that had visible roof damage and were deemed unsafe so several people/families (and at least two cats) have to find somewhere else to stay until they're repaired. Also saw a water main break (I think it was in Newark) that was gushing water from a big gap in the roadway. But I haven't seen any reports of injuries, so at least there's that.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I've only experienced a few. I felt the one that happened in Virginia in 2011(?). I was sitting in on my couch and it was just a tiny little jolt and my first thought was a truck on the highway outside my apartment but then I realized there were no trucks passing by. A few years ago there was a small one (2.something) that was only a couple miles from me; it woke me up but it just felt like someone shook my bed for a second or something. This one actually had my furniture shaking for several seconds. Apparently there were several aftershocks; one was 4.0, which my brother felt but my parents and I did not. My cousin's dog evidently felt one, also, because they said she reacted to something that no one else in the house noticed. And I remember there was one when I was a teenager but I slept through it.

I saw some local news coverage and there were some houses (three in a row very close together) in the town where it happened that had visible roof damage and were deemed unsafe so several people/families (and at least two cats) have to find somewhere else to stay until they're repaired. Also saw a water main break (I think it was in Newark) that was gushing water from a big gap in the roadway. But I haven't seen any reports of injuries, so at least there's that.

Thinking a truck was passing by and feeling the bed shake were how I experienced my first California earthquake, and my first Oregon earthquake. The biggest one I felt I was at work in the bathroom. There were women freaking out - so I stayed calm, except for worrying that I hadn't washed my hands before I huddled with the women under the frame. Fortunately we were out of town for the big earthquake - though we fretted about our house the whole time.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 1

One  - the Wardrobe on Monday and it was downhill from there.

Shapeshifter, I love your 4 zeros on the cake. I want some.

I live in Metro Atlanta and I felt that Virginia quake in 2011. It just a small lurch in the pit of my stomach and I sort of felt dizzy. I think that if I had been doing something, I would not have noticed, but I had just sat down to lunch and was sitting there, willing the food not to be SO freakin' hot so I could start to eat. LOL

• Like 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

One  - the Wardrobe on Monday and it was downhill from there.

Shapeshifter, I love your 4 zeros on the cake. I want some.

I live in Metro Atlanta and I felt that Virginia quake in 2011. It just a small lurch in the pit of my stomach and I sort of felt dizzy. I think that if I had been doing something, I would not have noticed, but I had just sat down to lunch and was sitting there, willing the food not to be SO freakin' hot so I could start to eat. LOL

Here you go! 
foodnetwork.ca/recipe/classic-pineapple-upside-down-cake
Pineapple upside down cake without icing or frosting should be perfect for anyone after an earthquake. 

upside-down-pineapple-cake.png?w=2048&quality=75

But with all the zeros around here:
We're gonna need a lotta cakes!

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I live in Metro Atlanta and I felt that Virginia quake in 2011.

I was in Williamsburg, VA, driving back to work after lunch. I didn't feel a thing, but a lot of my co-workers were standing around outside and told me about it.

• Like 1

Week 30:  2/5   Overall: 73/150  9*   Fun fact: The big Alaska earthquake on Good Friday (many years ago) happened on the day I was born (not in Alaska, however).

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
18 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Ready for this coming week’s 0/5ers,
solar eclipse Oreos:

26A7E1DE-52DD-4012-AAA3-DD43B84D4501.jpeg.88b52bcbc66f3376b958764e916607a8.jpeg

I went to Wegmans the other day and right up front they had cookies from the bakery decorated for the eclipse. I think there were four large cookies, moons and suns, and most prominent in the package was a sun with black sunglasses. Except the frosting (they had a lot of frosting) had sort of melted and bled...they were mildly horrifying. 😎

• LOL 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Here you go! 
foodnetwork.ca/recipe/classic-pineapple-upside-down-cake
Pineapple upside down cake without icing or frosting should be perfect for anyone after an earthquake. 

upside-down-pineapple-cake.png?w=2048&quality=75

But with all the zeros around here:
We're gonna need a lotta cakes!

So did anyone else say "We're gonna need a lotta cakes" in the same tone as "We're gonna need a bigger boat"  - No, just me then?

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • Fire 1

2/5 with no *.  I have no clear idea where I pulled wardrobe and Sacramento from, but I am grateful for doing so. 

Happy Eclipse everyone from sunny Michigan (but not quite in the totality zone)!

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
On 4/7/2024 at 5:09 PM, Clanstarling said:

So did anyone else say "We're gonna need a lotta cakes" in the same tone as "We're gonna need a bigger boat"  - No, just me then?

You think it's just you? You don't know us at all 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

Week 31: 1/5
YTD: 75/155 (48%) with 6*

I won't bring the plate of ravioli I had to clean off my carpet while I watched on Friday. You're welcome.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • LOL 4

Week 31 – April 8 -JIT and Regular Jeopardy (4/10/24) – One Asterisk
151.     MYTHOLOGY - A peasant who became the king of Phrygia created this intricate problem that was solved in 333 B.C. (the Gordian Knot)
152.     BODIES OF WATER - The smallest inland sea in the world, it's completely within the territory of a single country & connects 2 other larger seas (Sea of Marmara) – End of JIT, Victoria wins
153.     *ANIMATED FILM CHARACTERS - In this 2017 film Dante is a hairless breed known as a Xolo dog (Coco)
154.     SPACE SHUTTLES - 2 space shuttles were named for craft commanded by this man who died far from home in 1779 (James Cook)
155.     AUTHORS' AFTERLIVES - After his death his son Michel reworked & published manuscripts like one about a meteor made of gold heading for Earth (Jules Verne)

• Thanks 3

Week 31:  0/5.

I'm disappointed because, as many here have mentioned, I've been doing very well in and DJ since tournament play ended. I've run several categories and have gotten many more TS than I have in these past several months. Then again, there have been way more TS in the past three days than there have been during the various tournaments. 

No matter. My resurgence evidently is for the first two rounds only. For FJ, the drought continues. 

Screenshot_20240412_231159_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 4
  • Hugs 3
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Driad said:

3/5.  Bringing a bucket of ice, and assorted beverages.

I'm not a big drinker, but I will take whatever alcoholic beverage goes best with fuzzy ravioli. 🍸

(I do have black Sambuca...)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
37 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I will take whatever alcoholic beverage goes best with fuzzy ravioli. 🍸

Obviously, a  Fuzzy Navel.  LOL

Thank you for Jules Verne - I got ONE this week. Corn Dogs for all...

(I used to work with a woman who gossiped a lot. Talking about one of our co-workers, Linda said, "She thinks she's shit on a stick."  I asked her if that was anything like a corn dog.)

• LOL 6

I/5

All this time, I’ve been blaming my lack of FJs on tournament level clues. But I missed all the ones from regular play, knowing only Gordian Knot from tournament Monday. I guess I have no more excuses?

I will bring a plate of garlic knots to the party. We won’t need a sword to cut through these!

IMG_0544.thumb.jpeg.b0ffa34014c9a5883a16d1f4e97105cb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

0/5

Sometimes I just don't know the FJ answer and sometimes I should have figured it out.  I feel so stupid for not getting Gordian Knot and Cook.

Edited by Trey
  • Hugs 5
27 minutes ago, Bliss said:

(I'll pass on the fuzzy pasta LOL)

And to top it all off, in my second attempt at dinner, one of my raviolis was empty! 😭

• Mind Blown 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, Good Queen Jane said:

1/5, no *.

And here I thought I was doing better!

You did do better than a lot of us Zeroes!

3 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

The only one I came close to was Coco, but I guessed Encanto instead.
A big ol' goose egg!

image.png.b29fd716f1eb47a868e50aa2463f8819.png 

Same! I knew Encanto was too recent, but went with it because I didn't have any other titles in my RAM (Random Access Memory🤖).

I was once totally mesmerized/charmed by a missionary from Zimbabwe (I was recently divorced and he was widowed) who passed around an ostrich egg for us to inspect:

intro-1689610226.webp
"Laying an Ostrich egg" is, for perhaps obvious reasons, not a figure of speech like "goose egg," but the memory of the appeal of that guy with the ostrich egg still sticks in my mind much better than titles of movies, or titles or authors of books, or names of places and explorers and their dates.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
14 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

*ANIMATED FILM CHARACTERS - In this 2017 film Dante is a hairless breed known as a Xolo dog (Coco)

Honestly, I was pretty sure I had this one locked down. My first (wrong) idea was, "It won't be as obvious as a Disney animated feature." I thought outside the box, remembered Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs, and confidently wrote that down. (I'd never seen either Isle of Dogs or Coco.) Also, a quick search yielded the fact that IOD was a 2018 release, a year too late. So much for that!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

Another big goose egg, 0/5 🤮 Was pretty confident in Riddle of the Sphinx on Monday, and Isle of Dogs on Wednesday. That's as close as I got...

• Like 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, opus said:

1/5 1️⃣

I'm assuming the blue 1 is the asterisk, so it's recorded as that. Let me know if I'm wrong.

1/0 this week. I knew the dog was in Coco, but I coudn't get to the name and  Encanto came out of my mouth. At least I got Cook.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm assuming the blue 1 is the asterisk, so it's recorded as that. Let me know if I'm wrong.

1/0 this week. I knew the dog was in Coco, but I coudn't get to the name and  Encanto came out of my mouth. At least I got Cook.

No, I don't play the asterisk game part of this contest. The blue one is just one of the emojis available here at the site, in this case denoting my one correct answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1