Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I keep thinking about John Belushi's "Little Chocolate Doughnuts" SNL fake ad.

Oh, here it is...

😄

Thanks for that. 😊 I realize that every generation has its own favorite group of SNL players, but I'm so glad that the original NRFPTP were my group when I was in my late teens/early 20s. 

• Like 8

4/5 with 2 * - I think this week just fell into my oddly shaped wheelhouse.  I swear I only got the Lighthouse at Alexandria because of a time management computer game I play once in a while.  On the other hand, I read Heart of Darkness & studied German in college - still missed Kurtz.  🤣

Hope everyone feels better soon - the creeping crud is going around everywhere near me with wild weather swings not helping a bit.  Would a round of hot toddies for all help a bit?

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

“Family size’”, heh. That is not a family that makes good choices. I think I’ll stick with my Cheerios.

I don't eat cold cereal for breakfast. I'm not virtuous - but cold cereal just doesn't stick with me as a meal (neither does yogurt).

Instead, I only eat boxed cereal for "dessert" or a snack - even so, I stick to Cheerios (though I might splurge on a Honey Nut version now and again). Cheerios has always been my favorite, though as a child I really liked Cap'n Crunch and Froot Loops.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Hope everyone feels better soon - the creeping crud is going around everywhere near me with wild weather swings not helping a bit.  Would a round of hot toddies for all help a bit?

A round of hot toddies sounds better than a group of hot, feverish, germ-spewing toddlers, but I think I'll just have an advil for now.

My cereal of choice is square:
https://shop.wegmans.com/product/28653/wegmans-bite-size-shredded-wheat-cereal
large_6e6dedaa-a76c-4ae2-a302-8518e0f77c03.jpglarge_4e1b2f1a-fa61-44a6-b447-0859679b3271.jpg

But occasionally with round banana slices:

2768_1378_detail.jpg

• Like 5
  • Hugs 2
On 2/11/2024 at 7:35 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I keep thinking about John Belushi's "Little Chocolate Doughnuts" SNL fake ad.

Oh, here it is...

I was just gonna post that! Love that commercial. NOW HE'S GOING FOR THE WORLD RECORD!!! HE'S KICKING IT IN!!!! HE'S DONE IT!!!!

• LOL 4
21 hours ago, dankesean said:

Week 22: 2/5 (again), but at least with an * (Lighthouse) to salve my pride.

Well, that and donuts. But you gotta get your protein in, too. so...

keto-chocolate-donut.jpg

I cannot bring myself to eat one of those - not because I wouldn't like it, but I'm afraid I'd like it TOO much!

• Fire 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)

Week 23: 4/5 with one *
YTD: 61/115 (53%) with 5*

I've got some leftover Sweethearts from Valentine's Day (bought on clearance the day after).

image.png.703735a525335e82e3c5a6664aa72f45.png

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

Week 23:  2/5.

I'm so pissed off at myself for not getting Thursday's and Friday's FJs.

For Thursday, I immediately figured it was an arch, but my mind got stuck in Europe and I said Arc de Triomphe. I've been to St. Louis and have seen the Gateway Arch! 🤦‍♀️

Tonight, I absolutely should have gotten Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, but all I could think of was A Streetcar Named Desire and that didn't fit the clue. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

Week 23 • Feb. 12 – One Asterisk
111.     U.S. STAMPS - This Roman numeral appeared on stamps in a 2022 series for the 50th anniversary of an anti-discrimination law (IX – Title 9)
112.     SOUTHERN POLITICIANS - An article written after his 1935 death asked, "Will some crown prince arise to take his place?" (Huey Long)
113.     BROADWAY PLAYS - Rita Moreno & Sally Struthers were the first to star in the female version of this comedy, their characters becoming Olive & Florence (The Odd Couple)
114.     *LANDMARKS - The distance between its 2 legs at ground level is 630 feet, making it as wide as it is tall (Gateway Arch)
115.     THEATER -A 1955 play review noted "restless Delta folk" & "lives as uncomfortable & insecure as the proverbial" this title (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof)

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Does St. Louis Arch = Gateway Arch?

I’ve seen (here and/or other sites) that there was a similar clue where it was accepted, so I’d say you’re good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve seen (here and/or other sites) that there was a similar clue where it was accepted, so I’d say you’re good. 

Good, because I also said St. Louis Arch.

3/5 1* Missed M & T, got Wed through Friday.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

The week started with a bad word #$%&# (missed Mon FJ) and then turned around and ended with 4/5 plus an *.

So, I'm bringing turnovers. ;-)

• Applause 4
  • LOL 2

Week 23: 1/5 Thurs: St. Louis Arch *

I was tempted to claim Monday because of a faint memory of a textbook image from the 1960s when we were taught about Huey Long — whose name eluded me. 
Fortunately, on Thursday the St. Louis ("Gateway") Arch woke me up to the folly of a false win.

After 2 weeks of zeroes, I'm happy with my 1/5.

• Like 4
On 2/10/2024 at 11:50 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

2 asterisks for me!  Yay me, Yay Johnny Cash and the Lighthouse.

For  Week 22 I have your asterisks (very exciting) - so I know you have at least 2/5, but I want to make sure your count is right. So let me know if you got more.

4/5, no *. I don't really think of the Arch as having 'legs', so said Eiffel Tower, even though I knew it was probably wrong. 

When the category was revealed on Tuesday, I yelled out, "Huey Long!" Then a few minutes later when the clue was read, I stuck with my impulse answer!

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
1 minute ago, DXD526 said:

4/5, no *. I don't really think of the Arch as having 'legs', so said Eiffel Tower, even though I knew it was probably wrong. 

When the category was revealed on Tuesday, I yelled out, "Huey Long!" Then a few minutes later when the clue was read, I stuck with my impulse answer!

He was the first "Southern Politician" I thought of (though the field is much larger - Carter, Clinton, Wallace, Thurmand...and the list goes on to current ones).

• Like 3

Week 23:  2/5 0*  Overall:  64/115  8* 

16 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I've been to St. Louis and have seen the Gateway Arch!

Worse for me---I've been in the Gateway Arch!

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 3

The week started so well, I was hoping for a complete reversal of last week’s bagel. Then the arch “legs” confused me and I ended up with 4/5. But no complaints, I’ll take it!!

So this week, I will bring nine-odd pounds of Southern fried chicken (with a little Louisiana hot sauce on the side).

IMG_0528.jpeg.21323eafaa9c9a808f8a1cb60d6bf7e4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

5/5 with one * - Somehow my theater/history/politics loving self got the other four and a "hail mary  cause I can't think of anything else" guess got me the Arch for the full week.  Can't quite believe it.

I will bring iced tea - sweetened, unsweetened and Long Island to complement the food and hopefully suit the taste of any non beer drinkers.   

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 6

Week 23, 3/5, with the *, since 'St. Louis Arch' seems to be an acceptable answer and that's all I had.

Given that, my choice of food contribution seems obvious.

archdeluxe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3

Week 24 – Feb 19 – One Asterisk
116.     CANADIAN MEDICINE - Nova Scotian William Knapp Buckley devised a widely used antitussive, meaning a drug used against this (cough[ing])
117.     PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS - He's the most recent presidential candidate to have officially declared his opponent in that campaign the victor (Al Gore)
118.     19th CENTURY AMERICANS - In 1896, 15 years after a famous showdown, this man was accused of fixing a championship boxing match (Wyatt Earp)
119.     *ON VACATION IN ITALY - About 30 miles from Florence, a little hill gives this tiny Tuscan town its name, familiar to American visitors (Monticello)
120.     FRENCH AUTHORS - Trained as a priest & a physician, in 1532 he published his first novel under the pen name Alcofribas Nasier ([François] Rabelais)

• Thanks 4